PDA

View Full Version : Karuvaattu Kulambu / Anchovies anybody??

kavikuil
17th May 2006, 06:00 AM
I've tasted this awesome karuvaattu kulambu about 10 yrs back...

Anybody got a recipe for this? Pretty please? :D

Thanks!

ayeshasadique
17th May 2006, 02:00 PM
KARUVAATTU KUZHAMBU

small dry fish - 1 cup, cleaned and washed
tamarind - big lemon size, soaked
sesame oil - 4 tbsp
small red onions - 1 cup, chopped finely
garlic cloves - 1/4 to 1/2 cup (if big slit each into 2)
curry leaves - a few sprigs
turmeric - 1 tsp
tomatoes - 2 large, chopped finely
fenugreek powder - 1 tsp
cumin powder -2 tsp
red chilli powder - 1 tbsp (add more if u want)
coriander powder - 2 to 3 tbsps
salt
fresh coconut paste - 2 tbsp (optional)

1. Heat oil in a pan . add onions, garlic , curry leaves and turmeric powder. When they are brown, add tomatoes.
2. When tomatoes are cooked and the oil separates, add the spices and salt. fry.
3. add the tamarind extract and coconut paste ; simmer for few minutes.
4. add dry fish and when cooked , remove from fire.

note:
sometimes,cooked karamani, mochakottai, etc can be added to the gravy.

i hope this tastes like the one u had 10 yrs back :)

malsi
17th May 2006, 08:19 PM
yes..mochakottai goes very well with this curry..i always add that..and you can also add potatoes and brinjals..

kavikuil
18th May 2006, 05:21 AM
Oooooh! Thanks Ayesha! :) I'll give it a try and let you know. Just 2 more questions.

1. Should I fry the Anchovies before adding in the gravy?
2. I fried them yesterday in oil and tasted it. It was way too salty. should I try the Kulambu without putting salt in it, and then add salt later if it needs? does it need any extra salt at all?

Malsi, thanks for the tip. :)

malsi
18th May 2006, 03:27 PM
i normally wash the anchovies with hot water( to get rid of the excessive salt)..drain them..and then only put them into the curry..yes..add salt only if its necessary....

Anoushka
18th May 2006, 05:14 PM
Aaha karuvaatu kuzhambu :) ithukku Idu iNai yEthu :) I love thundu karuvaatu (vanjiram karuvaadu) kuzhambu as well... peerkangai or kathirikai can be added to this kuzhambu as well :)

ayeshasadique
19th May 2006, 08:41 PM
dear kavikuil
like malsi said, soak and wash the dry fish in hot water (obviously not sooooooo long that they fall apart into pieces :) )...this gets rid of the salt.
u can add the fish as it is.....or u can add them fried...its up to u....the recipe however does not call for frying but the fried version tastes good too !!

ayeshasadique
19th May 2006, 08:45 PM
theres another dish, i havent tatsed for a long time....when i go to india this june, iam going to make sure mum makes it for me :)....sometimes things taste better when someone cooks for u :)
the dish is pumpkin and dry prawns masala !! (the one called chanakunni or something like that :) )

ayeshasadique
19th May 2006, 08:47 PM
someone ---- especially "mom"

kavikuil
20th May 2006, 04:05 AM
Thanks guys! :D

I'll try this dish tomorrow and let you know.

aathirai1
26th May 2006, 08:01 PM
KARUVAATTU KUZHAMBU

I am from Nellai living in New York.

This is how we make Karuvattu Kulambu in Nellai/Thuthukudi areas.

Karuvadu ____ 6 (Anchovies, Sardines)
soak it in water for 1/2 hour and wash it. you can peel it in small pieces if you desire.
Potato 1 big cut in to 8 pieces
Murungai Kai 4-5 pieces
Plantain 1/2 cut into 1 inch pieces

Coconut scrapping 1 cup
Onion 1 medium size chopped
Tamarind 1 lime size
oil
mustard
Salt to taste ( be careful- Karuvadu is already salty)

To grind

Chili Powder 1 tsp
Coriander 2 tsp
Fenugreek 1/8 tsp
Cumin 1/4 tsp
rice 1/2 tsp

slightly toast these items

Soak tamarind in water and extract juice with 1 and half cup water.
Grind coconut well and in the end add chopped onion and grind it for 10 second. remove it from the blender/mixie/grinder
Add the dried spices and grind them well. Mix these three well and keep it aside

In a heavy pan add oil and mustard when mustard cracks, add the mix.
Add the vegies when the bubble start forming.
Let it boil for 5 mins.
Add cleaned Karuvaadu (dried Fish)
Cook for 5 min
Add salt

Cook in very slow heat for 10 more minuites. ( In my native village they take the fire wood off the stove at this point and let the pot stay in the stove) Add curry leaves if you have.

Trust me you won't leave one drop in the pan.

Good side dish to go with this is egg.
Boiled, Bulls eye will be very good.
Murngai keerai, Avathi keerai, Colard or mustard keerai cooked like murungai keerai will take you where ever you want to be.

aathirai1
26th May 2006, 09:40 PM
I forgot to add eggplant

Cut eggplant in 1 inch pieces, and add it to the curry when you are adding other vegies.
Thanks
Aathirai

kavikuil
19th August 2006, 02:25 AM
Thanks Aathirai!

Sorry guys I havent been able to try this because of my tiredness and fatigue during the pregnancy. Will have to try it soon (or maybe after the baby comes out!). Will post feedback as soon as I try these.

Anoushka
19th August 2006, 03:38 AM
Congrats Kavikuyil :) my friend says if you are breast feeding, karavuadu is very good for you :)

Nichiro
20th August 2006, 07:50 AM
Hello Friends,

You can try this version of Meen Kozumbu.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/non-veg/meen-kozumbu.html

Nichiro

Pearl
3rd December 2006, 08:16 PM
[tscii:d181eccfd2]CHANNAKUNNI & BRINJAL

¼ KG BRINJALS; ½ KG FRESH CHANNAKUNNI, 3 ONIONS – FINELY MINCED, 4 GREEN CHILLIES FINELY MINCED, A SPRIG OF CURRY LEAVES, SALT TO TASTE, SCRAPED COCONUT -1/, OIL 4TBSPNS.

CUT THE VEGETABLE INTO CUBES AND KEEP ASIDE. CLEAN AND WASH THE CHANNAKUNNI AND KEEP ASIDE. HEAT OIL IN A KADAI, WHEN OIL IS HOT HAD THE ONIONS, GREEN CHILLIES, CURRY LEAVES AND FRY TILL ONIONS ARE LIGHT BROWN ADD THE BRINJAL PIECES AND SALT LOWER FLAME AND COOK TILL BRINJALS ARE HALF COOKED NOW ADD THE CHANNAKUNNI AND MIX WELL COVER AND COOK ON LOW FLAME – TILL BOTH VEGETABLE AND CHANNAKUNNI IS COOKED – ADD THE SCRAPED COCONUT AND FRY NICELY TILL THE COCONUT IS GOLDEN BROWN – REMOVE FROM HEAT AND SERVE – WITH PEPPER WATER AND RICE/SAMBAR AND RICE.

For a variation you could use 2 segments of Yellow Pumpkin instead of Brinjals

Pearl’s recipe
[/tscii:d181eccfd2]