PDA

View Full Version : Continental food

SmileAlways
17th May 2006, 05:18 PM
Hello Everybody...

Went thro all the old threads....and find this site very interesting.

I have always loved continental food....be it Spagetti, Lasagna..etc..etc. Would love to cook it at home.

However I have a microwave oven...and not the conventional one. All the recipes that i get on the net talk abt baking in a pre-heated oven; which i obviously cant do in a microwave.

So my query is.......is it possible to bake in a microwave??

Has anyone tried doing it in a micrwave?? How do you convert the temperature requirements specified for an oven based recipe to a microwave based one??

Guess....i shouldnt call tht "A Query"........but a list of them.

Would Love to hear from u all....

thanx

ayeshasadique
17th May 2006, 09:24 PM
wow, u have micro waves in central jail... :) thats nice to know :)

ayeshasadique
17th May 2006, 09:28 PM
As a general rule, foods that need to be turned , stirred, covered, etc during conventional method, need the same in micro wave too....dont forget that !!

ayeshasadique
17th May 2006, 09:52 PM
MINCE AND MACARONI CASSEROLE (in microwave)

macaroni - 250 gm, cooked al dente (drained)

(if using microwave to cook, spread macaroni in a DEEP microwave-safe dish, cover with boiling water(may need 6 cups of water), place in microwave, and cook uncovered on HIGH for 10 minutes or until al dente, stirring once or twice in between)

1. in a microwave safe deep dish, place butter (2 tbsp), 3 finely chopped onions, and 5 cloves of minced garlic. cook, uncovered on HIGH for 3 minutes.

2. mix in 250 gms of minced meat, and cook ,uncovered on HIGH for 10 minutes.(stir twice in between)

3. mix in 2 heaped tbsps of plain flour, 2 tbsps of tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste.(take care not to form lumps)

4. pour in 2 cups of milk and cook , uncovered for another 6 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. (dont forget to stir twice in between)

5. put in the macaroni, 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella cheese and mix well. cook, uncovered for 2 minutes on HIGH.

6. sprinkle with more of the two cheeses , as much as u want :) ,sprinkle with chopped parsley and cook on HIGH until the cheese melts (2 to 3 minutes)

7. serve.

SmileAlways
18th May 2006, 03:17 PM
Hi Ayesha

Thanx for the response. I should have specified that i am a veggie.... :oops:

The problem i face is this : I have these Lasagna layers...those instant ones u get in the market and also the reqd cheese. I know to make white sauce....and obv can make mixed vegetables.

My point is...when i keep these things layered one above the other and put it ina microwave........it justs bubbles....

I dont get tht baked feel ...of the like served in hotels. Am I undercooking it?? or is this the taste i can get in a microwave??

Prob...I should just go the restuarant ....and have a nice time!! :)

Alan
19th May 2006, 06:35 PM
wow, u have micro waves in central jail... :) thats nice to know :)

ja...............ja.....ja....jail? Whhhhoooo is in jjjjaaiill? :shock:

ayeshasadique
19th May 2006, 08:51 PM
oops
i didnt know u are vegetarian... :)
anyways the dish made in microwave will not taste the same as that done in the conventional one..
and Alan dont worry ..its certain u are not in jjjjjail!!

ayeshasadique
19th May 2006, 08:53 PM
the top layer usually gets that nice brown colour and crust only while baking or better still under a grill !!

kavithasenthil
19th May 2006, 09:44 PM
Prob...I should just go the restuarant ....and have a nice time!! :)

Hey, do they allow to go to restuarant too? PPl like to know in which state these are allowed? :roll: