PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained!

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 06:22 PM
[tscii:6987169a7f]This universe which we are a part of is home to abundant mysteries, phenomena of which the common man and even scientists have very little idea. Lets us discuss abt these unexplained mysteries here. Paranormal, scientific… anything unexplained.[/tscii:6987169a7f]

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 06:47 PM
okkkkkkkkk welll i have deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppp intrest into space and the solar system

but they say outside the world..the black whole has nothing in it....no gas particles....

thats wierddd i dont understand that, nothing means something has to be there!
and where does the universe end? and whats beyond that? :roll: sometimes i think of this too much and get scared if i'll turn myself into a proper mental case :oops:

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 06:58 PM
okkkkkkkkk welll i have deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppp intrest into space and the solar system

but they say outside the world..the black whole has nothing in it....no gas particles....

thats wierddd i dont understand that, nothing means something has to be there!
and where does the universe end? and whats beyond that? :roll: sometimes i think of this too much and get scared if i'll turn myself into a proper mental case :oops:

well, who said the black hole has nothing in it? the black hole is the last stage of a star. due to its large (infact quite large) gravitational force it doesn't let anything that enters it to escape, even light :shock: thats why we don't see anything, with no reflection of light from it how do u see them?

and regarding the universe, I have got an interesting artricle that will give u more butterflies ( it atleast gave me butterflies :roll:) , shall I post it?

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 07:07 PM
my physics teacher said that nothings in the black hole. not even gas...its weird

ok ya post it :D

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 07:14 PM
my physics teacher said that nothings in the black hole. not even gas...its weird

first tell ur physics teacher to brush up her basics. here is the definition of black hole from NASA website:

Black holes are the evolutionary endpoints of stars at least 10 to 15 times as massive as the Sun. If a star that massive or larger undergoes a supernova explosion, it may leave behind a fairly massive burned out stellar remnant. With no outward forces to oppose gravitational forces, the remnant will collapse in on itself. The star eventually collapses to the point of zero volume and infinite density, creating what is known as a " singularity ". As the density increases, the path of light rays emitted from the star are bent and eventually wrapped irrevocably around the star. Any emitted photons are trapped into an orbit by the intense gravitational field; they will never leave it. Because no light escapes after the star reaches this infinite density, it is called a black hole.

Hulkster
20th May 2006, 07:16 PM
Well they say the sun is a big star...so if im correct when it reaches the stage of the black hole...the world might get sucked into it...:|

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 07:17 PM
[tscii:4743241592]here comes the article:

Ken Korczak: What if you had an identical twin? What if you had 10 identical twins? A million twins? what if all of these "others" were more than just twins in the sibling sense? What if these others were literally “you,” yet living independently in their own world or universe?Astonishing as it may seem, this may actually be the case. There may be millions, billions, and in fact, an infinite number of "alternate" universes stacked like so much Tupperware within our own universe. In each of these other universes lives another you leading a full and very real life, just like your own life.Some of these other universes are very close to our own, and are almost identical, except for minor differences. Others are further removed and the differences increase as the distance from our own increases.The concept is not a new one. In fact, the idea that other invisible worlds exist in proximity to our own are nearly as old as human beings. “Other worlds” is one of the oldest and most frequently used ideas in speculative literature and legend.

Examples might be “Fairyland” and the “astral plane.”While spiritualists, shamans and mystics have been happily dealing with the subject of alternate universes for centuries, modern science, notably the field of physics, has embraced the idea of alternate worlds in recent years.In the field of quantum mechanics, alternate universe theory is generally referred to as the “Many Worlds Interpretation,” and it holds up mathematically.The theory was first proposed 40 years ago in 1957 by the brilliant physicist Hugh Everett III. He came up with the Many Worlds scenario to deal with some of the more perplexing aspects of quantum mechanics.Everett suggested that whenever numerous viable possibilities exist, the world splits into many worlds or universes, one universe for each different possibility.For example, if you get up this morning and can’t decide if you want to have coffee or tea for breakfast, the Many Worlds Interpretation says that for each choice that is made, an entire universe is created to accommodate each choice.In one universe you choose coffee. In another universe you choose tea. In a third universe, you decide to have neither. In still another, you go with orange juice.

Each universe is as real and valid as the other. It’s just that each goes its separate way from the point of decision.According to the astounding Many Worlds Interpretation, every single choice that is made by every single human being at every instant of time creates an entire universe which goes on forever into infinity.Obviously, this means that millions and billions and trillions of universes are being created on an ongoing basis!In each universe created, everything is identical, except for that one different choice; from that point on, they develop independently, and no communication is possible between them, so the people living in those worlds have no idea that this is going on.According to the Many Worlds Interpretation, there are not only an infinite number of universes, but an infinite number of versions of each person—including you!Your alternate selves have all split off at some time in the past from the path you are now following. There may be versions of you that split off one or five years ago, or perhaps five minutes after you were born.

In some universes, you may have died at birth.But in a very real sense, those people are still "you." What if you could travel to one of these alternate universes and meet yourself and have a conversation with yourself? What would you say? What would it feel like? It’s intriguing to think about.Polls have been taken among theorists who study such things, and have revealed that most of them believe that the Many Worlds Interpretation represents an accurate description of reality. (Interestingly, the polls also show that many of them would rather not discuss the subject!)Political researcher L. David Raub conducted a poll of 72 of the "leading cosmologists and other quantum field theorists" about the Many Worlds Interpretation and found the following:

1) 58% think it is true.
2) 18% do not think it is true.
3) 13% think it could be true but are not convinced.
4) 11% had no opinion.

Among the the “Yes” thinkers is the famous Stephen Hawking (expert in black holes), author of the best selling A Brief History of Time. Also in agreement are Nobel Laureates Murray Gell-Mann and the great and brilliant Richard Feynman.One of the most interesting fall-outs of the Many World's Interpretation is the possibility that it provides a platform for the the existence of free will, one of the issues that has tormented theologians and philosophers for centuries. In a universe in which you get to have all your choices and eat them too, so to speak, the totality an infinite potential of free will becomes obvious.From religion and folklore to the rigorous disciplines of science and mathematics, the case for a universe that is actually many universes is better than good, and, in fact, may prove to be reality.

now how many universes are there?? :roll: [/tscii:4743241592]

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 07:21 PM
Well they say the sun is a big star...so if im correct when it reaches the stage of the black hole...the world might get sucked into it...:|

No, If our Sun was suddenly replaced with a black hole of the same mass, the earth's orbit around the sun would be unchanged. (Of course the Earth's temperature would change, and there would be no solar wind or solar magnetic storms affecting us.) To be "sucked" into a black hole, one has to cross inside the Schwarzschild radius. At this radius, the escape speed is equal to the speed of light, and once light passes through, even it cannot escape.

The Schwarzschild radius can be calculated using the equation for escape speed.

vesc = (2GM/R)1/2

For photons, or objects with no mass, we can substitute c (the speed of light) for Vesc and find the Schwarzschild radius, R, to be
R = 2GM/c2

If the sun was replaced with a black hole that had the same mass as the sun, the Schwarzschild radius would be 3 km (compared to the sun's radius of nearly 700,000 km). Hence the Earth would have to get very close to get sucked into a black hole at the center of our solar system.

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 07:30 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: ok maybe i got it wrong :lol: because she's a Dr. in physics...think i'v been copying down some wrong notes :lol:

first tell ur physics teacher to brush up her basics. here is the definition of black hole from NASA website:

Black holes are the evolutionary endpoints of stars at least 10 to 15 times as massive as the Sun. If a star that massive or larger undergoes a supernova explosion, it may leave behind a fairly massive burned out stellar remnant. With no outward forces to oppose gravitational forces, the remnant will collapse in on itself. The star eventually collapses to the point of zero volume and infinite density, creating what is known as a " singularity ". As the density increases, the path of light rays emitted from the star are bent and eventually wrapped irrevocably around the star. Any emitted photons are trapped into an orbit by the intense gravitational field; they will never leave it. Because no light escapes after the star reaches this infinite density, it is called a black hole.

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 07:38 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: ok maybe i got it wrong :lol: because she's a Dr. in physics...think i'v been copying down some wrong notes :lol:

well, may be! if she didn't actually say this for her mouth but a Doctorate in what branch of physics. astro physics? i always wanted to study astro physics, but if I had said so to my Mom and pop they would have given me one.! :lol:

ok, read the article, don't u have any comments on it!

Hulkster
20th May 2006, 07:39 PM
Yes there is a possiblity of many universes...but if you want to know where the end of the universe is..or to be even broader the whole cosmic system...then thats a doubt that has to be explored...you can just send a spaceship to the ends of the universe where it might not return...its too big to explore....hmms kaduvulai thaan keikanum...:D

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 07:42 PM
Yes there is a possiblity of many universes...but if you want to know where the end of the universe is..or to be even broader the whole cosmic system...then thats a doubt that has to be explored...you can just send a spaceship to the ends of the universe where it might not return...its too big to explore....hmms kaduvulai thaan keikanum...:D

but the article states that there is an universe for each and every choice that we make in life, OMG, then thats really puzzling!

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 07:42 PM
wow i read the long post ramesh!
its amazing..i never thought of it in that way, i'v alwyas known that there are more universes and species living outside earth. i mean

the sun is one star...with its own solar system....there are many stars in the universe like that, so each of them probably have their own solar system....with many planets...and its very very unlikely that there will be no living organisms there...there HAS TO BE!

a few years back my ambition was to work in NASA

its back again!

and if not...dr....and if nt dr i guess actress would be fun :lol:

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 07:44 PM
:lol: i have no clue...bt her name is peck... :roll: :lol: we are told to cal her dr......peck.....:lol:

well, may be! if she didn't actually say this for her mouth but a Doctorate in what branch of physics. astro physics? i always wanted to study astro physics, but if I had said so to my Mom and pop they would have given me one.! :lol:

ok, read the article, don't u have any comments on it!

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 07:46 PM
its amazing..i never thought of it in that way, i'v alwyas known that there are more universes and species living outside earth. i mean

the sun is one star...with its own solar system....there are many stars in the universe like that, so each of them probably have their own solar system....with many planets...and its very very unlikely that there will be no living organisms there...there HAS TO BE!

its back again!

it is not possible that every star has an solar system like arrangment! it depents on the gravitational effect of that star!

Hulkster
20th May 2006, 07:51 PM
Hmms...the part abt making choices is intriguing...humans make loads of choices..in fact beyond the million mark...if that is shown in the form of a universe...thats almost innumerable..let us leave this theory to rest first...we need to explore other possible theories.

There are certain theories in hinduism that when the time for end comes...bala(sesha naagam's avataram that came with krishna)..will dissolve the universe within himself...which gives me a faint idea of the black hole...:?

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 07:54 PM
However in our galaxy there are over 400 billion stars. If only one per cent of these stars has planets, and if only one per cent of these planets lives has, and if of it again only a percent has intelligent life, then there would have to be there outside thousands civilizations!

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 07:57 PM
There are certain theories in hinduism that when the time for end comes...bala(sesha naagam's avataram that came with krishna)..will dissolve the universe within himself...which gives me a faint idea of the black hole... :Confused:

interesting indeed! but isn't it SHIVA who is the god of destruction in Hinduism??

Hulkster
20th May 2006, 08:01 PM
Yes but as i said...the theories of destruction are many in hinduism...theres also a theory of krishna using his most destructive weapon..the weapon of extreme coldness to destroy...then the one about bala and also shiva attaining the avatar of rudra the fearsome one to destroy the universe with his weapon(supposedly so hot that everything in its path will melt).

Well for those who are not particular about religions...it does make a interesting read.

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 08:10 PM

its back again!

mine was the same too, but here I am studying BE computer science.. :(

but at times I feel that we are cheated by NASA. do u really think that they landed man on moon? I don't think so! yeah! I know it might sound silly at first. I too didn't belive in it in the first place. but now after some research, I am more or less convinced that it is a big conspiracy going on!

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 08:35 PM
ok well atleast a few starts should

its back again!

it is not possible that every star has an solar system like arrangment! it depents on the gravitational effect of that star!

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 08:35 PM
[tscii:701d86aa12] Triple-Neptune system discovered
Saturday, 20 May, 2006

user posted image rA trio of Neptune-sized worlds has been spotted circling a star 41 light years away, in the southern constellation Puppis. One of the planets is by far the smallest ever found in the “habitable zone” of a Sun-like star, where liquid water could exist.“The astronomer’s dream would be to be able to study the composition and structure of these planets to see exactly what they look like,” says Christophe Lovis from the Geneva Observatory in Switzerland, whose team made the discovery.Future space-based missions like NASA’s Terrestrial Planet Finder and the European Space Agency’s Darwin project could realise that dream in 15 to 20 years. Over the past decade, astronomers have discovered about 170 planets orbiting stars beyond the Sun. More than 40 lie inside multiple systems – containing two planets or more.But so far, all these multiple systems have been dominated by at least one Jupiter-mass giant. Now Lovis and his colleagues have found a more petite multiple system containing three Neptune-sized worlds, and no whopping Jupiters.The team discovered the planets by monitoring their parent star for two years using a 3.6-metre telescope at La Silla Observatory in Chile.

The parent star, HD 69830, is about 80% as massive as our Sun and is significantly dimmer.The star “wobbles” due to the gravitational pull of the planet family orbiting around it. The team’s observations suggest the star has three planets, all of which lie closer to their star than the Earth does to the Sun. Their masses are at least 10, 12 and 18 times that of the Earth, respectively.Lovis suspects the two innermost planets are rocky and blisteringly hot. But the outermost one lies far enough from the star to be in a habitable zone, where liquid water can exist.
[/tscii:701d86aa12]

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 08:38 PM
ok well atleast a few starts should

its back again!

I don't deny that. infact most stars have them!

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 08:39 PM
YES SAME!
I DONT BELIEVE THAT MAN LANDED ON THE MOON!

ok except for neil armstrong who else landed on the moon? "according to nasa" ? :huh:

its back again!

mine was the same too, but here I am studying BE computer science.. :(

but at times I feel that we are cheated by NASA. do u really think that they landed man on moon? I don't think so! yeah! I know it might sound silly at first. I too didn't belive in it in the first place. but now after some research, I am more or less convinced that it is a big conspiracy going on!

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 08:49 PM
i remember reading in a book a few years ago that pluto could not be a planet...but a moon :?:

and that there is a planet beyond pluto...

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 09:12 PM
i remember reading in a book a few years ago that pluto could not be a planet...but a moon :?:

and that there is a planet beyond pluto...

yeah! thats what they say, that there is a planet beyond pluto. but i dunno whether it is a moon, as u said :? , it possibly can't be. bcoz the new planet found is at a distance 3 times as that of pluto and is supposed to be of the same size as pluto. so it isn't quite possible that pluto is moon of the newly dicovered planet given the size of both and the gravitational pull. :)

here are the images:

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/2056/123931mainnewplanet9lc.jpg

These time-lapse images of a newfound planet in our solar system, called 2003UB313, were taken on Oct. 21, 2003, using the Samuel Oschin Telescope at the Palomar Observatory near San Diego, Calif. The planet, circled in white, is seen moving across a field of stars.
The three images were taken about 90 minutes apart.

here is an artistic view of the planet:

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/5825/123939mainnewplanetconcept2250.jpg

This artist's concept shows the planet catalogued as 2003UB313 at the lonely outer fringes of our solar system. Our Sun can be seen in the distance. The new planet, which is yet to be formally named, is at least as big as Pluto and about three times farther away from the Sun than Pluto. It is very cold and dark. The planet was discovered by the Samuel Oschin Telescope at the Palomar Observatory near San Diego, Calif., on Jan. 8, 2005. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 09:14 PM
YES SAME!

ok except for neil armstrong who else landed on the moon? "according to nasa" ? :huh:

well, frankly I don't get it! wat do u mean by stating who else landed on moon other than Neil, u want the names of all the Apollo astronauts?

Lambretta
20th May 2006, 10:58 PM
YES SAME!

Well, if u'd count Edwin Aldrin & Michael Collins(?), who landed w/ Armstrong @ the same time in the same mission! :D

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 11:00 PM
wow awesome pics! intrestin huh!!!!

ok....how many countries except america have landed on the moon? :huh:

Lambretta
20th May 2006, 11:02 PM
This artist's concept shows the planet catalogued as 2003UB313 at the lonely outer fringes of our solar system.
Um....I do hope they find a proper name for this planet......who do they think cud rem. this no. easily? :? :roll: Seems even more complex than a teleph. no.....atleast they r all digits only! :lol2:

Lambretta
20th May 2006, 11:04 PM

Ther was an article I once came across abt India planning to send a man to the moon shortly......(altho No idea how shortly!)....
'cant find tat link now....

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 11:08 PM

None! China and India are being buzzed of repeating the feat soon.

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 11:10 PM

Ther was an article I once came across abt India planning to send a man to the moon shortly......(altho No idea how shortly!)....

India is going to send an unmaned mission to Moon, to will carry a lot of instruments up there among them are to NASA instruments :o . the mission is named as "Chandrayan-1", I think and will take of in 2008!

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 11:12 PM
I hope atleast China and India do really land on Moon unlike USA. (i have a strong suspicion whether they did land man on moon).

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 11:14 PM
yeah, i mean like except for tht mission...anything else :roll:

YES SAME!

Well, if u'd count Edwin Aldrin & Michael Collins(?), who landed w/ Armstrong @ the same time in the same mission! :D

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 11:14 PM
oh wow..yeah i think my mum told me tht too! :D

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 11:17 PM
EXACTLY! none right?!? i just wanted to make that sure!

so if the others have failed to...how can america just do it?!? :huh:

sounds stupid, and they say they left the american flag there :lol: i'll only believe it if they get satellite images on it :lol:

None! China and India are being buzzed of repeating the feat soon.

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 11:18 PM
me too ramesh! i don't think they ever landed on the moon! i mean...they probably just said that to sound as if they achieved something...loosuuuusssss

Lambretta
20th May 2006, 11:22 PM
sounds stupid, and they say they left the american flag there :lol: i'll only believe it if they get satellite images on it :lol:
Hmm....'wonder if it still exists ther......if it wer an ordinary cloth one, no chance IMO......:? :roll:
*dg
Btw, gaayu, surprised to find u talking abt scientific stuff of this level all of a sudden.......not tat I'm complaining but its so diff. from the usual kiddish u....bubbly, witty, cranky, talk only abt fun etc....!
A sign of growing up perhaps? :wink: :lol:

/dg

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 11:25 PM

now, I have given a link to the video reportedly taken on moon, just see how the Astronauts have a difficulty in keeping the US flag still as it blows in the wind, how come it is being blown in the wind on MOON, where there is no Atmosphere?

I hope u have real media player.
Download Movie (http://www.ufos-aliens.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Apollo1.rm).

c4ramesh
20th May 2006, 11:51 PM
how are NASA going to explain this.

this is the image I got from an website challenging NASA's claim that they went to moon.

here is the image with the explanation of what's wrong?
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/6796/11buzzexit0vp.jpg

if any one doubts the authencity of the image, here are the images straight from Nasa's website.

http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo/gallery/AS11-40-5862_t.jpg

http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo/gallery/AS11-40-5863_t.jpg

Ghlli
21st May 2006, 12:32 AM
actually theres no wind or precipitation or anything on the moon, so if they did actually land on the moon, and if they did actually put the flag...i guess it's still there.

huhhh noo....actually i'm much more mature than what i sound like :lol: i'v always been intrested in space science...i'v read nearly all the books about space form my library...and for presents and stuff...my aunty bought me a telescope cos she knows i love science...and now she's started buying me books about tht....:lol:

Hmm....'wonder if it still exists ther......if it wer an ordinary cloth one, no chance IMO......:? :roll:
*dg
Btw, gaayu, surprised to find u talking abt scientific stuff of this level all of a sudden.......not tat I'm complaining but its so diff. from the usual kiddish u....bubbly, witty, cranky, talk only abt fun etc....!
A sign of growing up perhaps? :wink: :lol:

/dg

Ghlli
21st May 2006, 12:33 AM
Exactly! thts what i just posted in a few of my previous posts! such a lie, they never landed on the moon :banghead:

now, I have given a link to the video reportedly taken on moon, just see how the Astronauts have a difficulty in keeping the US flag still as it blows in the wind, how come it is being blown in the wind on MOON, where there is no Atmosphere?

I hope u have real media player.
Download Movie (http://www.ufos-aliens.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Apollo1.rm).

Ghlli
21st May 2006, 12:37 AM
I don't understand why NASA is lieing though..its just soo stupid, cos other countries believe it and waste energy which causes greehouse gases and global warming, and waste money, and when they send the people up in the rocket...they never come back alive :banghead: soo stupid, maybe NASA should own up!

how are NASA going to explain this.

this is the image I got from an website challenging NASA's claim that they went to moon.

here is the image with the explanation of what's wrong?
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/6796/11buzzexit0vp.jpg

if any one doubts the authencity of the image, here are the images straight from Nasa's website.

http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo/gallery/AS11-40-5862_t.jpg

http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo/gallery/AS11-40-5863_t.jpg

Hulkster
21st May 2006, 08:52 AM
Sometimes when a star explodes into a supernova...the brilliant display of lights is amazing to see...i believe at times millions of stars go through this at one time...anyone has the pictures of this?

c4ramesh
21st May 2006, 10:39 AM
Sometimes when a star explodes into a supernova...the brilliant display of lights is amazing to see...i believe at times millions of stars go through this at one time...anyone has the pictures of this?

I have got these images, they are awsome, to say the least!

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9615/crabvltbig0cs.jpg

Image description:

The Crab Nebula, filled with mysterious filaments, is the result of a star that was seen to explode in 1054 AD. This spectacular supernova explosion was recorded by Chinese and (quite probably) Anasazi Indian astronomers. The filaments are mysterious because they appear to have less mass than expelled in the original supernova and higher speed than expected from a free explosion. In the above picture taken recently from a Very Large Telescope, the color indicates what is happening to the electrons in different parts of the Crab Nebula. Red indicates the electrons are recombining with protons to form neutral hydrogen, while blue indicates the electrons are whirling around the magnetic field of the inner nebula. In the nebula's very center lies a pulsar: a neutron star rotating, in this case, 30 times a second.

http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/6127/sn1987ahstbig8gv.jpg

Image description:

In 1987, the brightest supernova in recent history occurred in the Large Magellanic Clouds. At the center of the picture is an object central to the remains of the violent stellar explosion. When the Hubble Space Telescope was pointed at the supernova remnant in 1994, however, curious rings were discovered. The origins of these rings still remains a mystery. Speculation into the cause of the rings includes beamed jets emanating from a dense star left over from the supernova, and a superposition of two stellar winds ionized by the supernova explosion.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3295/tychosnrrosatbig6ig.gif

Image description:

How often do stars explode? By looking at external galaxies, astronomers can guess that these events, known as a supernovae, should occur about once every 30 years in a typical spiral galaxy like our MilkyWay. However, the obscuring gas and dust in the disk of our galaxy probably prevents us from seeing many galactic supernovae -- making observations of these events in our own galaxy relatively rare. In fact, in 1572, the revered Danish astronomer, Tycho Brahe, witnessed one of the last to be seen. The remnant of this explosion is still visible today as the shockwave it generated continues to expand into the gas and dust between the stars.Above is an image of the X-rays emitted by this shockwave made by a telescope onboard the ROSAT spacecraft. The nebula is known as Tycho's Supernova Remnant.

Lambretta
21st May 2006, 02:34 PM
actually theres no wind or precipitation or anything on the moon, so if they did actually land on the moon, and if they did actually put the flag...i guess it's still there.
No gaayu, wat I was wonderin abt is if a flag tat was planted ther nearly 4 decades ago (1969)! wud still exist ther in the 1st place...
It must've been an ordinary cloth flag, no country wer advanced enuff at tat time to produce a material tuff enuff to last forever even on earth itself...tat too despite regular maintanence! :P
How many ppl. still hav 'surviving' clothes tat they bought in 1969 (altho my mother still has her wedding Saree from the same yr :))......how many flags made around tat time exist in the world today? :huh:

c4ramesh
21st May 2006, 03:15 PM
No gaayu, wat I was wonderin abt is if a flag tat was planted ther nearly 4 decades ago (1969)! wud still exist ther in the 1st place...
It must've been an ordinary cloth flag, no country wer advanced enuff at tat time to produce a material tuff enuff to last forever even on earth itself...tat too despite regular maintanence! :P
How many ppl. still hav 'surviving' clothes tat they bought in 1969 (altho my mother still has her wedding Saree from the same yr :))......how many flags made around tat time exist in the world today? :huh:

hmm... it should lambretta, coz, there are a lot of reasons for a cloth or a flag geting torn or disinegrated on Earth. it is under constant use and action of wind .... etc, these factors are quite absent on Moon... so it must remain the same. I think so!

Ghlli
21st May 2006, 06:11 PM
YES EXACTLY! I JUST LOVE LOOKING AT THE PICTURES OF STARTS EXPLODING!

term 1 for physics we had to do a project on one aspect in space, and i chose exploding starts :lol: and got A+ for it :D :D :D they look amazing

sometimes, pink, purple, greenish...etc...they look like glittery powder being spilt...its amazing!

Ghlli
21st May 2006, 06:15 PM
ya but we use out clothes..and they are washed etc, but on the moon theres nothing, nothing happens to that flag, no wind, no rain, no snow....IF the americans DID land on the moon, if you go to the moon right now, you should be able to see their footprint exactly like how it was back in 1969.

Lambretta
21st May 2006, 10:52 PM
hmm... it should lambretta, coz, there are a lot of reasons for a cloth or a flag geting torn or disinegrated on Earth. it is under constant use and action of wind .... etc, these factors are quite absent on Moon... so it must remain the same. I think so!
Hmm....yea tats true.....still.....cudnt believe tat it still exists ther....

Neways, forget it for now..:)

Nice images in the links u gave Ramesh! :D

c4ramesh
21st May 2006, 11:05 PM
Nice images in the links u gave Ramesh! :D

courtesy NASA, heehee 8-)

Lambretta
21st May 2006, 11:54 PM
Ya I knew tat.....:lol:

c4ramesh
22nd May 2006, 10:15 PM
brain power

Olny srmat poelpe can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

If you can raed tihs psas it on !!

crazy
23rd May 2006, 03:13 PM
everything is weird here!
i cant understand anything, neither from science nor from religion, so i live in this mysteriuos world with lots of mysteries!

nms
23rd May 2006, 03:28 PM
Ramesh Nice pics.....
Lol Nice links..

nms
23rd May 2006, 03:46 PM
In the starting of the thread 'Ghilli' had mentioned that he was thinking about what was beyond the universe.

I would like to give here something I had read from books of Shri.Vethathiri Maharishi.

In this universe everything has it's own age.Let's travel back in time..some 100 years back..around 30 crore indians only were present..some 1000 years back ..no human race..some million years back..no earth..we travel back..no sun...and as we travel further some trillions of years back...no planets..no sun... no stars..no air..no water no heat...no matter...no light at all in this universe....
ONLY DARKNESS...BLACK HOLE...

This was called as "SOONYAM" or "POOJYAM"..in mythology.U can also call that as "SHIVAM" - No movements,Eternal Silence & Peace...

hard to imagine that???

And all the five elements & the present univere has evolved from this "Shivam"....This has also been explained by him.

c4ramesh
23rd May 2006, 04:36 PM
In the starting of the thread 'Ghilli' had mentioned that he was thinking about what was beyond the universe.

I would like to give here something I had read from books of Shri.Vethathiri Maharishi.

In this universe everything has it's own age.Let's travel back in time..some 100 years back..around 30 crore indians only were present..some 1000 years back ..no human race..some million years back..no earth..we travel back..no sun...and as we travel further some trillions of years back...no planets..no sun... no stars..no air..no water no heat...no matter...no light at all in this universe....
ONLY DARKNESS...BLACK HOLE...

This was called as "SOONYAM" or "POOJYAM"..in mythology.U can also call that as "SHIVAM" - No movements,Eternal Silence & Peace...

hard to imagine that???

And all the five elements & the present univere has evolved from this "Shivam"....This has also been explained by him.

black hole, itself implies that there is something present in it, please refer my previous posts, for understanding what a black hole is. :)

and if there was no matter in the universe then, his theory is not supported by the law of conservation of mass & energy. though still I feel it is just a matter of presenting what he would have really meant is amiss here, could u be more clear? :?

c4ramesh
23rd May 2006, 05:02 PM
[tscii:283699b0d3]UFO exists, its Official
MoD (ministry of defence, UK) official UFO report published

The MOD has published the results of a once-highly-classified official investigation into the existence of Unidentified Flying Objects. The report concludes that UFOs exist - but are a mixture of natural and-man-made phenomena, rather than evidence of extraterrestrial life.The report examines 'UFO' sightings collected over a 30 year period, to ascertain whether there is any evidence of a threat to the UK and to identify any potential military technologies of interest. The study was not conducted to substantiate the existence of extraterrestrial life-forms but we can confirm that no such evidence was found. As for 'UFOs', or Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (they're not always objects), the report concluded that while people reporting sightings are often genuine, rational explanations such as aircraft lights or natural phenomena, including meteors forming 'buoyant plasmas', can explain them.

The report concludes that none of the UFO reports the MoD received had any Defence Intelligence value and led to the decision in December 2000 that the Defence Intelligence Staff no longer had any need to continue receiving UFO sighting reports.Under Secretary of State for Defence, Tom Watson said:"I am delighted that the Freedom of Information Act has meant that this once Secret report has been declassified and made public. In a department where lives are literally on the line and we can’t release every document we have, this is yet more evidence of the MoD’s commitment to openness."The study, titled Unidentified Aerial Phenomena in the UK Air Defence Region, was conducted between 1996 and 2000 during a policy review into the handling of UFO sighting reports by the MOD. The report contains sensitive information concerning the UK Air Defence Region and was therefore classified Secret and given a limited distribution. Until the introduction of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, all government records were closed from public viewing for a period of 30 years after the last action was taken.

The report has been released now because MoD received a Freedom of Information request for a copy of the report. Embracing the spirit of open government, and despite the size (over 450 pages) and original classificatioOD staff have taken great care to ensure that the majority of this large report is made available.There is a real an enduring interest in Unidentified Flying Objects. By far the most popular topics of FOI requests has been UFOs, followed by Recruitment enquiries; enquiries from staff; and historical events such as World War Two, the Falklands conflict and the Balkans. Recent FOI MoD releases on UFOs have attracted media interest from as far away as Japan.

source: MOD (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/UfosExistItsOfficial.htm)[/tscii:283699b0d3]

Ghlli
23rd May 2006, 11:45 PM
oh i'v had tht email in my inbox many times...its actually scary i can read tht! :shock:

ok it says.....

i could not believe that i could actually understand what i was reasing. the phanomenal power of the human mind, according to a reasearch at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. the reast can be a total mess and you still read it withoug a problem. This is becase the human mind does not read every letter by itself. but the word as a whole. Amazing huh? yeah and i always thought spelling was important!

If you can read this pass it on!

wwoowwoowow ainmzag huh! lolz...i'm nveer gnoig to lrean my sllipengs form now on :mrgreen: talented huh :huh:

brain power

Olny srmat poelpe can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

If you can raed tihs psas it on !!

Braandan
25th May 2006, 07:30 AM
Strangest thing about the human mind is:

Every moment people see/hear/learn that people around die at every moment, and that death can come any moment to oneself, and still they live as if they will never die.

c4ramesh
25th May 2006, 07:52 PM
Woow!!! This has to be the coolest audio illusion of all times! Apparently, using the Mosquito device, UK pupils have recorded the ultra-high sound that is audible only to under-20-year-olds. Your
hearing gets progressively worse around the age of 20, so if you play a sound on the edge of your hearing spectrum, unless you have perfect hearing, you won't be able to hear it at all. As I understood, the audio file is somwhere between 18KHz - 20KHz. here are the files hosted at some locations, hear them report ur
findings:

High Freq Mosquito Sound - BBC - MP3 File (http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/audio/mosquito_sound.mp3)
High Freq 2 - Google Pages - MP3 File (http://lm2005.googlepages.com/highfreq1.mp3)
High Freq 3 - RapidShare - MP3 File (http://rapidshare.de/files/21292730/freq.mp3.html)
High Freq 4 - Torrent - MP3 File (http://static.thepiratebay.org/hashtorrent/3488836.torrent/Teen_Buzz.3488836.TPB.torrent)
High Freq 5 - Ebaumsworld - MP3 File (http://media.ebaumsworld.com/lohanhilton.mp3)
High Freq 6 - Wiki Upload - MP3 File (http://www.wikiupload.com/file_store/upload_1/8076150904474d5d33483e.mp3)

1. Use your headphones if you don't hear it the first time.
2. Test these mp3 files on your little brother, sister or a dog.
3. Make a pause between playing those files (after hearing one of them, the other should be more hearable to you, even though it wasn't at first time).
4. Be carefull not to drive someone crazy with this.
5. Test Your hearing here (http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/hearing.html)

ok, I heard it, thank god I am below 20 and my ears are in good shape. how is urs?

johntony
28th May 2006, 12:58 AM
can anyone give me information of books, web-sites about making astronomy purpose telescopes at home.

rachel
28th May 2006, 11:17 AM

Every moment people see/hear/learn that people around die at every moment, and that death can come any moment to oneself, and still they live as if they will never die.

yeah.....it's strange isn't it? :( :( :(

ramky
28th May 2006, 10:37 PM

very true. but its not only reg death, but also reg other things like :

a drunk lorry driver never thinks he can cause an accident.
a householder doesnt take care to lock his house properly, thinking burglary only happens in other houses.
a chain smoker thinks only other smokers get cancer, not himself.
an immoral person who visits brothels, never thinks that he may become infected with AIDS some day.
a corrupt government official never dreams his house will be raided and he will be arrested, and so on ....

they should remember the old tamil saying :
"Pathu naal thirudan oru naal agapaduvan"
( A thief will be caught someday if not today. )

that is, being complacent reg any matter is not good.

rachel
29th May 2006, 03:46 AM

very true. but its not only reg death, but also reg other things like :

a drunk lorry driver never thinks he can cause an accident.
a householder doesnt take care to lock his house properly, thinking burglary only happens in other houses.
a chain smoker thinks only other smokers get cancer, not himself.
an immoral person who visits brothels, never thinks that he may become infected with AIDS some day.
a corrupt government official never dreams his house will be raided and he will be arrested, and so on ....

they should remember the old tamil saying :
"Pathu naal thirudan oru naal agapaduvan"
( A thief will be caught someday if not today. )

that is, being complacent reg any matter is not good.

but these things and death are completely different.

nobody can avoid death..but these things people can avoid if they want...but they don't care... :roll:

c4ramesh
7th May 2007, 07:43 PM
Is this REALLY proof that man can see into the future?

Do some of us avoid tragedy by foreseeing it? Some scientists nowbelieve that the brain really CAN predict events before they happen

Professor Dick Bierman sits hunched over his computer in a darkened room. The gentle whirring of machinery can be heard faintly in the background.

He smiles and presses a grubby-looking red button.

In the next room, a patient slips slowly inside a hospital brain scanner. If it wasn't for the strange smiles and grimaces that flicker across the woman's face, you could be forgiven for thinking this was just a normal health check.

But this scanner is engaged in one of the most profound paranormal experiments of all time, one that may well prove whether or not it is possible to predict the future.

For the results - released exclusively to the Daily Mail - suggest that ordinary people really do have a sixth sense that can help them 'see' the future.

Such amazing studies - if verified - might help explain the predictive powers of mediums and a range of other psychic phenomena such Extra Sensory Perception, deja vu and clairvoyance. On a more mundane level, it may account for 'gut feelings' and instinct.

The man behind the experiments is certainly convinced. "We're satisfied that people can sense the future before it happens," says Professor Bierman, a psychologist at the University of Amsterdam.

"We'd now like to move on and see what kind of person is particularly good at it."

And Bierman is not alone: his findings mirror the data gathered by other scientists and paranormal researchers both here and abroad.

Professor Brian Josephson, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist from Cambridge University, says: "So far, the evidence seems compelling. What seems to be happening is that information is coming from the future.

"In fact, it's not clear in physics why you can't see the future. In physics, you certainly cannot completely rule out this effect."

Virtually all the great scientific formulae which explain how the world works allow information to flow backwards and forwards through time - they can work either way, regardless.

Shortly after 9/11, strange stories began circulating about the lucky few who had escaped the outrage.

It transpired that many of the survivors had changed their plans at the last minute after vague feelings of unease.

It was a subtle, gnawing feeling that 'something' was not right. Nobody vocalised it but shortly before the attacks, people started altering their plans out of an unspoken instinct.

One woman suffered crippling stomach pain while queuing for one of the ill-fated planes which flew into the World Trade Center.

She made her way to the lavatory only to recover spontaneously. She missed her flight but survived the day. Amid the collective outpouring of grief and horror it was easy to overlook such stories or write them off as coincidences.

But in fact, these kind of stories point to an interesting and deeper truth for those willing to look.

If, for example, fewer people decided to fly on aircraft that subsequently crashed, then that would suggest a subconscious ability to divine the future. Well, strange as it seems, that's just what happens.

The aircraft which flew into the Twin Towers on 9/11 were unusually empty. All the hijacked planes were carrying only half the usual number of passengers. Perhaps one unusually empty plane could be explained away, but all four?

And it wasn't just on 9/11 that people subconsciously seemed to avoid disaster. The scientist Ed Cox found that trains 'destined' to crash carried far fewer people than they did normally.

Dr Jessica Utts, a statistician at the University of California, found exactly the same bizarre effect.

If it was possible to divine the future, you might expect those at the sharp end, such as pilots, to have the most finely tuned instincts of all. And again, that's just what you see.

When the Air France Concorde crashed in 2000, it wasn't long before the colleagues of those killed in the crash spoke about a sense of foreboding that had gripped the crew and flight engineers before the accident.

Speaking anonymously to the French newspaper Le Parisien, one spoke of a 'morbid expectation of an accident'.

"I had this sense that we were going to bump into the scenery," he said.

"The atmosphere on the Concorde team for the last few months, if one has the guts to admit it, had been one of morbid expectation of an accident. It was as if I was waiting for something to happen."

All of these stories suggest that we can pick up premonitions of events that are yet to be.

Although these premonitions are not in glorious Technicolor, they are often emotionally powerful enough for us to act upon them.

In technical parlance it is known as 'presentiment' because emotional feelings are being received from the future, not hard facts or information.

The military has long been fascinated by such phenomena. For many years the US military (and latterly the CIA) funded a secretive programme known as Stargate, which set out to investigate premonitions and the ability of mediums to predict the future.

Dr Dean Radin worked on the Stargate programme and became fascinated by the ability of 'lucky' soldiers to forecast the future.

These are the ones who survived battles against seemingly impossible odds. Radin became convinced that thoughts and feelings - and occasionally-actual glimpses of the future - could flow backwards in time to guide soldiers.

It helped them make life-saving decisions, often on the basis of a hunch.

He devised an experiment to test these ideas. He hooked up volunteers to a modified lie detector, which measured an electrical current across the surface of the skin.

This current changes when a person reacts to an event such as seeing an extremely violent picture or video. It's the electrical equivalent of a wince.

Radin showed sexually explicit, violent or soothing images to volunteers in a random sequence determined by computer.

And he soon discovered that people began reacting to the pictures before they saw them. It was unmistakable. They began to 'wince' a few seconds before they actually saw the image.

And it happened time and time again, way beyond what chance alone would allow.

So impressive were Radin's results that Dr Kary Mullis, a Nobel Prizewinning chemist, took an interest. He was hooked up to Radin's machine and shown the emotionally charged images.

"It's spooky," he says "I could see about three seconds into the future. You shouldn't be able to do that."

Other researchers from around the world, from Edinburgh University to Cornell in the US, rushed to duplicate Radin's experiment and improve on it. And they got similar results.

It was soon discovered that gamblers began reacting subconsciously shortly before they won or lost. The same effect was seen in those terrified of animals, moments before they were shown the creatures.

The odds against all of these trials being wrong are literally millions to one against.

Professor Dick Bierman decided to take this work even further. He is a psychologist who has become convinced that time as we understand it is an illusion. He could see no reason why people could not see into the future just as easily as we dip into memories of our past.

He's in good company. Einstein described the distinction between the past, present and future as 'a stubbornly persistent illusion'.

To prove Einstein's point, Bierman looked inside the brains of volunteers using a hospital MRI scanner while he repeated Dr Radin's experiments.

These scanners show which parts of the brain are active when we do certain tasks or experience specific emotions.

Although extremely complex, and with each analysis taking weeks of computing time, he has run the experiments twice involving more than 20 volunteers.

And the results suggest quite clearly that seemingly ordinary people are capable of sensing the future on a fairly consistent basis. Bierman emphasises that people are receiving feelings from the future rather than specific 'visions'.

It's clear, though, that if ordinary people can receive feelings from the future then perhaps the especially gifted may receive visions of things yet to be.

It's also clear that many paranormal phenomena such as ESP and clairvoyance could have their roots in presentiment.

After all, if you can see a few seconds into the future, why not a few days or even years? And surely if you could look through time, why not across great distances?It's a concept that ties the mind in knots, unless you're a physicist.

"I believe that we can 'sense' the future," says the Nobel Prizewinning physicist Brian Josephson.

"We just haven't yet established the mechanism allowing it to happen.

"People have had so called 'paranormal' or 'transcendental' experiences along these lines. Bierman's work is another piece of the jigsaw. The fact that we don't understand something does not mean that it doesn't happen.'

If we are all regularly sensing the future or occasionally receiving glimpses of it, as some mediums claim to do, then doesn't that mean we can change the future and render the 'prediction' obsolete?

Or perhaps we were meant to receive the premonition and act upon it? Such paradoxes could go on for ever, providing a rich seam of material for films such as Minority Report - based on a short story of the same name - in which a special police department is able to foresee and prevent crimes before they have even taken place.

Could such science fiction have a grain of truth in it after all? The emerging view, Bierman explains, is that 'the future has implications for the past'.

"This phenomena allows you to make a decision on the basis of what will happen in the future. Does that restrain our free will? That's up to the philosophers. I'm far too shallow a person to worry about that."

The problem with presentiment is that it appears so nebulous that you can't rely on it to make reliable decisions. That may be the case, but there are plenty of instances where people wished they had listened to their premonitions or feelings of presentiment.

One of the saddest involves the Aberfan disaster. This occurred in 1966 when a coal tip collapsed and swept through a Welsh school killing 144 people, including 116 children. It turned out that 24 people had received premonitions of the tragedy.

One involved a little girl who was killed. She told her mother shortly before she was taken to school: "I dreamed I went to school and there was no school there. Something black had come down all over it."

So should we listen to our instincts, hunches and dreams? Some experts believe we may already be using them in our everyday lives to a surprising degree.

Dr Jessica Utts at the University of California, who has worked for the US military and CIA as an independent auditor of its paranormal research, believes we are constantly sampling the future and using the knowledge to help us make better decisions.

"I think we're doing it all the time," she says. "We've looked at the data and it does seem to happen."

So perhaps the Queen in Through The Looking Glass was right: "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."

[Source (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23395112-details/Is+this+REALLY+proof+that+man+can+see+into+the+fut ure/article.do)]

c4ramesh
7th May 2007, 11:18 PM
[tscii:fed1084a00]
Blackholes, Wormholes and the Tenth Dimension
Will these concepts be proven by a theory of everything?

by Michio Kaku

Last June, astronomers were toasting each other with champagne glasses in laboratories around the world, savoring their latest discovery. The repaired $2 billion Hubble Space Telescope, once the laughing stock of the scientific community, had snared its most elusive prize: a black hole. But the discovery of the Holy Grail of astrophysics may also rekindle a long simmering debate within the physics community. What lies on the other side of a black hole? If someone foolishly fell into a black hole, will they be crushed by its immense gravity, as most physicists believe, or will they be propelled into a parallel universe or emerge in another time era? To solve this complex question, physicists are opening up one of the most bizarre and tantalizing chapters in modern physics. They have to navigate a minefield of potentially explosive theories, such as the possibility of “wormholes,” “white holes,” time machines, and even the 10th dimension! This controversy may well validate J.B.S. Haldane's wry observation that the universe is “not only queerer than we sup- pose, it is queerer than we can suppose.” This delicious controversy, which delights theoretical physicists but boggles the mind of mere mortals, is the subject of my recent book, Hyperspace.

Black Holes: Collapsed Stars

A black hole, simply put, is a massive, dead star whose gravity is so intense than even light cannot escape, hence its name. By definition, it can't be seen, so NASA scientists focused instead on the tiny core of the galaxy M87, a super massive “cosmic engine” 50 million light years from earth. Astronomers then showed that the core of M87 consisted of a ferocious, swirling maelstrom of superhot hydrogen gas spinning at l.2 million miles per hour. To keep this spinning disk of gas from violently flying apart in all directions, there had to be a colossal mass concentrated at its center, weighing as much as 2 to 3 billion suns! An object with that staggering mass would be massive enough to prevent light from escaping. Ergo, a black hole.

The Einstein-Rosen Bridge

But this also revives an ongoing controversy surrounding black holes. The best description of a spinning black hole was given in 1963 by the New Zealand mathematician Roy Kerr, using Einstein's equations of gravity. But there is a quirky feature to his solution. It predicts that if one fell into a black hole, one might be sucked down a tunnel (called the “Einstein-Rosen bridge”) and shot out a “white hole” in a parallel universe! Kerr showed that a spinning black hole would collapse not into a point, but to a “ring of fire.” Because the ring was spinning rapidly, centrifugal forces would keep it from collapsing. Remarkably, a space probe fired directly through the ring would not be crushed into oblivion, but might actually emerge unscratched on the other side of the Einstein-Rosen bridge, in a parallel universe. This “wormhole” may connect two parallel universes, or even distant parts of the same universe.

Through the Looking Glass

The simplest way to visualize a Kerr wormhole is to think of Alice's Looking Glass. Anyone walking through the Looking Glass would be transported instantly into Wonderland, a world where animals talked in riddles and common sense wasn't so common.

The rim of the Looking Glass corresponds to the Kerr ring. Anyone walking through the Kerr ring might be transported to the other side of the universe or even the past. Like two Siamese twins joined at the hip, we now have two universes joined via the Looking Glass. Some physicists have wondered whether black holes or worm- holes might someday be used as shortcuts to another sector of our universe, or even as a time machine to the distant past (making possible the swashbuckling exploits in Star Wars). However, we caution that there are skeptics. The critics concede that hundreds of wormhole solutions have now been found to Einstein's equations, and hence they cannot be lightly dismissed as the ravings of crack pots. But they point out that wormholes might be unstable, or that intense radiation and sub-atomic forces surrounding the entrance to the wormhole would kill anyone who dared to enter. Spirited debates have erupted between physicists concerning these wormholes. Unfortunately, this controversy cannot be re- solved, because Einstein's equations break down at the center of black holes or wormholes, where radiation and sub-atomic forces might be ferocious enough to collapse the entrance. The problem is Einstein's theory only works for gravity, not the quantum forces which govern radiation and sub-atomic particles. What is needed is a theory which embraces both the quantum theory of radiation and gravity simultaneously. In a word, to solve the problem of quantum black holes, we need a “theory of everything!”

A Theory of Everything?

One of the crowning achievements of 20th century science is that all the laws of physics, at a fundamental level, can be summarized by just two formalisms: (1) Einstein's theory of gravity, which gives us a cosmic description of the very large, i.e. galaxies, black holes and the Big Bang, and (2) the quantum theory, which gives us a microscopic description of the very small, i.e. the microcosm of sub-atomic particles and radiation. But the supreme irony, and surely one of Nature's cosmic jokes, is that they look bewilderingly different; even the world's greatest physicists, including Einstein and Heisenberg, have failed to unify these into one. The two theories use different mathematics and different physical principles to describe the universe in their respective domains, the cosmic and the microscopic. Fortunately, we now have a candidate for this theory. (In fact, it is the only candidate. Scores of rival proposals have all been shown to be inconsistent.) It's called “superstring theory,” and almost effortlessly unites gravity with a theory of radiation, which is required to solve the problem of quantum wormholes. The superstring theory can explain the mysterious quantum laws of sub-atomic physics by postulating that sub-atomic particles are really just resonances or vibrations of a tiny string. The vibrations of a violin string correspond to musical notes; likewise the vibrations of a superstring correspond to the particles found in nature. The universe is then a symphony of vibrating strings. An added bonus is that, as a string moves in time, it warps the fabric of space around it, producing black holes, wormholes, and other exotic solutions of Einstein's equations. Thus, in one stroke, the superstring theory unites both the theory of Einstein and quantum physics into one coherent, compelling picture.

A 10 Dimensional Universe

The curious feature of superstrings, however, is that they can only vibrate in 10 dimensions. This is, in fact, one of the reasons why it can unify the known forces of the universe: in 10 dimensions there is “more room” to accommodate both Einstein's theory of gravity as well as sub-atomic physics. In some sense, previous attempts at unifying the forces of nature failed because a standard four dimensional theory is “too small” to jam all the forces into one mathematical framework. To visualize higher dimensions, consider a Japanese tea garden, where carp spend their entire lives swimming on the bottom of a shallow pond. The carp are only vaguely aware of a world beyond the surface. To a carp “scientist,” the universe only consists of two dimensions, length and width. There is no such thing as “height.” In fact, they are incapable of imagining a third dimension beyond the pond. The word “up” has no meaning for them. (Imagine their distress if we were to suddenly lift them out of their two dimensional universe into “hyperspace,” i.e. our world!) However, if it rains, then the surface of their pond becomes rippled. Although the third dimension is beyond their comprehension, they can clearly see the waves traveling on the pond's surface. Likewise, although we earthlings cannot “see” these higher dimensions, we can see their ripples when they vibrate. According to this theory, “light” is nothing but vibrations rippling along the 5th dimension. By adding higher dimensions, we can easily accommodate more and more forces, including the nuclear forces. In a nutshell: the more dimensions we have, the more forces we can accommodate. One persistent criticism of this theory, however, is that we do not see these higher dimensions in the laboratory. At present, every event in the universe, from the tiniest sub-atomic decay to exploding galaxies, can be described by 4 numbers (length, width, depth, and time), not 10 numbers. To answer this criticism, many physicists believe (but cannot yet prove) that the universe at the instant of the Big Bang was in fact fully 10 dimensional. Only after the instant of creation did 6 of the 10 dimensions “curled up” into a ball too tiny to observe. In a real sense, this theory is really a theory of creation, when the full power of 10 dimensional space-time was manifest.

21st Century Physics

Not surprisingly, the mathematics of the 10th dimensional superstring is breathtakingly beautiful as well as brutally complex, and has sent shock waves through the mathematics community. Entirely new areas of mathematics have been opened up by this theory. Unfortunately, at present no one is smart enough to solve the problem of a quantum black hole. As Edward Witten of the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton has claimed, “String theory is 21st century physics that fell accidentally into the 20th century.” However, 21st century mathematics necessary to solve quantum black holes has not yet been discovered! However, since the stakes are so high, that hasn't stopped teams of enterprising physicists from trying to solve superstring theory. Already, over 5,000 papers have been written on the subject. As Nobel laureate Steve Weinberg said, “how can anyone expect that many of the brightest young theorists would not work on it?” Progress has been slow but steady. Last year, a significant breakthrough was announced. Several groups of physicists independently announced that string theory can completely solve the problem of a quantum black hole. (However, the calculation was so fiendishly difficult it could only be performed in two, not 10, dimensions.) So that's where we stand today. Many physicists now feel that it's only a matter of time before some enterprising physicist completely cracks this ticklish problem. The equations, although difficult, are well-defined. So until then, it's still a bit premature to buy tickets to the nearest wormhole to visit the next galaxy or hunt dinosaurs!

[Michio Kaku is a Japanese American theoretical physicist, tenured professor, and co-creator of string field theory. source (http://www.mkaku.org/articles/blackholes_wormholes.html)][/tscii:fed1084a00]

c4ramesh
7th May 2007, 11:27 PM

Actually that might not be the case, I saw a documentary on discovery channel about "Super Massive black holes", I think they said the black holes reach is only felt just outside it [which would be some 3 kms], so the earth may be safe. :)

Post script:

But for a more professional answer, read this:

What if the Sun became a black hole?
------------------------------------
Well, first, let me assure you that the Sun has no intention of doing any such thing. Only stars that weigh considerably more than the Sun end their lives as black holes. The Sun is going to stay roughly the way it is for another five billion years or so. Then it will go through a brief phase as a red giant star, during which time it will expand to engulf the planets Mercury and Venus, and make life quite uncomfortable on Earth (oceans boiling, atmosphere escaping, that sort of thing). After that, the Sun will end its life by becoming a boring white dwarf star. If I were you, I'd make plans to move somewhere far away before any of this happens. I also wouldn't buy any of those 8-billion-year government bonds.

But I digress. What if the Sun *did* become a black hole for some reason? The main effect is that it would get very dark and very cold around here. The Earth and the other planets would not get sucked into the black hole; they would keep on orbiting in exactly the same paths they follow right now. Why? Because the horizon of this black hole would be very small -- only about 3 kilometers -- and as we observed above, as long as you stay well outside the horizon, a black hole's gravity is no stronger than that of any other object of the same mass.

[Berkeley Cosmology Group, source (http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/BHfaq.html#q6)]

thamizhvaanan
7th May 2007, 11:36 PM
Well they say the sun is a big star...so if im correct when it reaches the stage of the black hole...the world might get sucked into it...:|when stars age, they age in different mechanisms. Black hole is just one among them and a black hole death is reserved only for huge stars i beleive ( I am typing these out of memory .. will check with them later)

A star can grow old into a "white dwarf" if it is arnd 1 to 1.5 times the mass of sun. White dwarves are high density and high gravity stars. If a star is arnd 2.5 times the size of sun, it ends up being a neutron star. These are denser than white dwarves. If sun were to be as dense as neutron star, it has to shrink to a diameter of arnd 10 cms ... neutron stars have such high densities.

But wat i remember abt the probable end of sun is that... in some billions of yrs as sun approaches its ripe old age :lol2: it will first expand to a huge radius engulfing mercury, venus and earth in the process. Then it will shrink back to the size of a white dwarf.

will confirm it tomorrow :D

thamizhvaanan
7th May 2007, 11:39 PM
What if the Sun became a black hole?
------------------------------------
Well, first, let me assure you that the Sun has no intention of doing any such thing. Only stars that weigh considerably more than the Sun end their lives as black holes. The Sun is going to stay roughly the way it is for another five billion years or so. Then it will go through a brief phase as a red giant star, during which time it will expand to engulf the planets Mercury and Venus, and make life quite uncomfortable on Earth (oceans boiling, atmosphere escaping, that sort of thing). After that, the Sun will end its life by becoming a boring white dwarf star.wow! my memory was almost correct .. except that earth wont get swallowed :oops:

c4ramesh
7th May 2007, 11:46 PM
A star can grow old into a "white dwarf" if it is arnd 1 to 1.5 times the mass of sun. White dwarves are high density and high gravity stars. If a star is arnd 2.5 times the size of sun, it ends up being a neutron star. These are denser than white dwarves. If sun were to be as dense as neutron star, it has to shrink to a diameter of arnd 10 cms ... neutron stars have such high densities.

But wat i remember abt the probable end of sun is that... in some billions of yrs as sun approaches its ripe old age :lol2: it will first expand to a huge radius engulfing mercury, venus and earth in the process. Then it will shrink back to the size of a white dwarf.

will confirm it tomorrow :D

Sun itself will become a white dwarf, in fact a black dwarf [see this death of a sun like star (http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sgifs/Sundeath.GIF)]

Hulkster
8th May 2007, 07:03 AM
Is this REALLY proof that man can see into the future?

Tell me about it....i visualised my accident,exam results,school opening ceremony all in my dreams and the next day they are as that....i was wondering if this was a natural phenomenon but now that there are scientists looking into it...am i relieved to know it is natural :D

c4ramesh
8th May 2007, 04:25 PM
[tscii:b2a57f9cf4]To Treat the Dead

The new science of resuscitation is changing the way doctors think about heart attacks—and death itself.

May 7, 2007 issue - Consider someone who has just died of a heart attack. His organs are intact, he hasn't lost blood. All that's happened is his heart has stopped beating—the definition of "clinical death"—and his brain has shut down to conserve oxygen. But what has actually died?

As recently as 1993, when Dr. Sherwin Nuland wrote the best seller "How We Die," the conventional answer was that it was his cells that had died. The patient couldn't be revived because the tissues of his brain and heart had suffered irreversible damage from lack of oxygen. This process was understood to begin after just four or five minutes. If the patient doesn't receive cardiopulmonary resuscitation within that time, and if his heart can't be restarted soon thereafter, he is unlikely to recover. That dogma went unquestioned until researchers actually looked at oxygen-starved heart cells under a microscope. What they saw amazed them, according to Dr. Lance Becker, an authority on emergency medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. "After one hour," he says, "we couldn't see evidence the cells had died. We thought we'd done something wrong." In fact, cells cut off from their blood supply died only hours later.

But if the cells are still alive, why can't doctors revive someone who has been dead for an hour? Because once the cells have been without oxygen for more than five minutes, they die when their oxygen supply is resumed. It was that "astounding" discovery, Becker says, that led him to his post as the director of Penn's Center for Resuscitation Science, a newly created research institute operating on one of medicine's newest frontiers: treating the dead.

Biologists are still grappling with the implications of this new view of cell death—not passive extinguishment, like a candle flickering out when you cover it with a glass, but an active biochemical event triggered by "reperfusion," the resumption of oxygen supply. The research takes them deep into the machinery of the cell, to the tiny membrane-enclosed structures known as mitochondria where cellular fuel is oxidized to provide energy. Mitochondria control the process known as apoptosis, the programmed death of abnormal cells that is the body's primary defense against cancer. "It looks to us," says Becker, "as if the cellular surveillance mechanism cannot tell the difference between a cancer cell and a cell being reperfused with oxygen. Something throws the switch that makes the cell die."

With this realization came another: that standard emergency-room procedure has it exactly backward. When someone collapses on the street of cardiac arrest, if he's lucky he will receive immediate CPR, maintaining circulation until he can be revived in the hospital. But the rest will have gone 10 or 15 minutes or more without a heartbeat by the time they reach the emergency department. And then what happens? "We give them oxygen," Becker says. "We jolt the heart with the paddles, we pump in epinephrine to force it to beat, so it's taking up more oxygen." Blood-starved heart muscle is suddenly flooded with oxygen, precisely the situation that leads to cell death. Instead, Becker says, we should aim to reduce oxygen uptake, slow metabolism and adjust the blood chemistry for gradual and safe reperfusion.

Researchers are still working out how best to do this. A study at four hospitals, published last year by the University of California, showed a remarkable rate of success in treating sudden cardiac arrest with an approach that involved, among other things, a "cardioplegic" blood infusion to keep the heart in a state of suspended animation. Patients were put on a heart-lung bypass machine to maintain circulation to the brain until the heart could be safely restarted. The study involved just 34 patients, but 80 percent of them were discharged from the hospital alive. In one study of traditional methods, the figure was about 15 percent.

Becker also endorses hypothermia—lowering body temperature from 37 to 33 degrees Celsius—which appears to slow the chemical reactions touched off by reperfusion. He has developed an injectable slurry of salt and ice to cool the blood quickly that he hopes to make part of the standard emergency-response kit. "In an emergency department, you work like mad for half an hour on someone whose heart stopped, and finally someone says, 'I don't think we're going to get this guy back,' and then you just stop," Becker says. The body on the cart is dead, but its trillions of cells are all still alive. Becker wants to resolve that paradox in favor of life.

[Source: MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18368186/site/newsweek/#storyContinued)][/tscii:b2a57f9cf4]

c4ramesh
8th May 2007, 05:22 PM
UFO PICS?

Last month (April 2007), my wife and I were on a walk when we noticed a very large, very strange "craft" in the sky. My wife took a picture with her cell phone camera (first photo below). A few days later a friend (and neighbor) lent me his camera and came with me to take photos of this "craft". We found it and took a number of very clear photos. Picture #4 is taken from right below this thing and I must give my friend credit as I was not brave enough to get close enough to take this picture myself!

The craft is almost completely silent and moves very smoothly. It usually moves slowly until it decides to take off. Then it moves VERY quickly and is out of sight in the blink of an eye. MORE THAN ANYTHING I simply want to understand what this is and why it is here?

We found your show with Google and I have listened for a few nights now. I have decided that if anyone can help me understand what this thing is, it is you and your audience. I must admit I am deeply unsettled by this thing. I have never seen anything like this in my life... Location: I would prefer not to say for now.

--Chad

Chad wrote back to us with additional info: Thank you so much for posting my photos! I hope someone can help identify this... First of all, I see this thing VERY often. Since it first appeared, I have probably seen this thing maybe 8 different times since the first appearance. My friend and I went out the next day after I first saw it to get the photos, but it was not there. Then we tried again the next day, and we found it within like 30 minutes and followed it for a while. Most of the time I see it out of windows in my house, in the distance. but I would say almost half of the hikes I have gone on in my area, I have seen it very close. It is very easy to photograph and...many neighbors aside from my friend have also seen it.

It is almost totally silent but not quite. It makes kind of "crackling" noises. It's hard to describe them but they are only intermittent and not very loud, but you can notice them. Sometimes there is a very slight hum that sounds kind of mechanical, almost like when you are near very large power lines. But it is nothing loud like a jet engine, it is very quiet for the most part.

It moves almost like an insect. If you have ever seen a bug on a pond, it is kind of like that. It is VERY smooth and slow most of the time, but then every now and then it will rotate very quickly and go VERY fast into another direction, then stop, and repeat the process all over again. There is just something very unnatural about the way it moves.

Also, I have had maybe 4 headaches in the last week, and I am normally not the kind of person who really ever gets them. Also my wife has been tired and fatigued lately. She is about a month pregnant, and the doctor said fatigue is normal around this time, but I worry that it is a lot. Basically what I'm worried is that this "craft" has got some kind of radiation or something. Like I said, it sounds like power lines if you get close enough to it. Obviously I am worried for our health, especially with a baby on the way. I dont know if they are related, but again, this is why I really hope someone can answer these questions!

--Chad

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Craft050607a.jpg

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Craft050607b.jpg

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Craft050607c.jpg

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Craft050607x2.jpg

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Craft050607x5.jpg

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Craft050607x1.jpg

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Craft050607e.jpg

Source: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page2022.html?theme=light

Hulkster
8th May 2007, 05:34 PM
I think it might be more of a spycraft by some rival country rather than a UFO...:?

c4ramesh
8th May 2007, 05:44 PM
I think it might be more of a spycraft by some rival country rather than a UFO...:?

UFO - means unidentified Flying Object, not essentially extraterrestrial.

Hulkster
8th May 2007, 06:01 PM
Yenakku theriyum pa...but the author's viewpoint derives at a extraterrestrial craft..but looking at the wordings on the back of the craft seems like a secret army spycraft...but then again the spycraft was spotted for 8 days..i dunt think any country would be dumb to keep it when people have photographic evidence.

So here are the possibilities

1) Alien craft (so - so)
2) Author might have morphed the photo(assuming they have not analysed the photo) if not only no 1 is a possibility :D

c4ramesh
8th May 2007, 06:25 PM
Yenakku theriyum pa...but the author's viewpoint derives at a extraterrestrial craft..but looking at the wordings on the back of the craft seems like a secret army spycraft...but then again the spycraft was spotted for 8 days..i dunt think any country would be dumb to keep it when people have photographic evidence.

So here are the possibilities

1) Alien craft (so - so)
2) Author might have morphed the photo(assuming they have not analysed the photo) if not only no 1 is a possibility :D

This image has been shown to people experienced in Photoshop, they are saying if this is photoshoped, then the person has done a great job, because there is no traces of it being photoshoped. :shock:

Hulkster
8th May 2007, 06:29 PM
Appo na....last possibility is a craft designed by america to just check its surroundings i guess..or worse come to worse a prank by somebody else who designed it like a alien spacecraft and sent it around as a idea of a joke :lol2:

c4ramesh
8th May 2007, 06:41 PM
Appo na....last possibility is a craft designed by america to just check its surroundings i guess..or worse come to worse a prank by somebody else who designed it like a alien spacecraft and sent it around as a idea of a joke :lol2:

Whatever it is, it looks cool.

Does the writing seem to have semblance of any known language? See this image:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Craft050607x5.jpg

An Enhanced one:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/PeepingMooreon/Wingsolarized.jpg

Hulkster
8th May 2007, 06:55 PM
hmms letters like A and X are not alienish....even some decoding languages have weird alphabets...i guess we need a decoding expert to find out the symbols...the picture(appears five times)seems very familiar though..:?

thamizhvaanan
9th May 2007, 12:40 PM
This image has been shown to people experienced in Photoshop, they are saying if this is photoshoped, then the person has done a great job, because there is no traces of it being photoshoped. :shock::lol: A very popular shortcut to make a scientific assertion. How often do we hear "researchers say..." "experts concluded that.. " :lol2:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/rdoolan/ufopicfakes.html

:lol:

c4ramesh
9th May 2007, 12:49 PM
This image has been shown to people experienced in Photoshop, they are saying if this is photoshoped, then the person has done a great job, because there is no traces of it being photoshoped. :shock:

:lol: A very popular shortcut to make a scientific assertion. How often do we hear "researchers say..." "experts concluded that.. " :lol2:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/rdoolan/ufopicfakes.html

:lol:

I said what few people experienced in photoshop said to me, I never claimed they are experts I only claimed they are experienced in Photo shop. Here is reaction to these images:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page2024.html?theme=light

This will answer many questions I think.
8-)

thamizhvaanan
9th May 2007, 01:06 PM
I am actually confused.. are u trying to claim that these pics are real or fake? coz most of the opinions expressed in the link says that it is a clear fake :lol:

and the writing used is from Star wars "return of jedi" ... :rotfl:

thamizhvaanan
9th May 2007, 01:17 PM
Actually I wonder wether Aliens can actually visit us :roll:

We all know speed of light is an universal upper limit and the closest known star is atleast 4.3 light years and most of them are thousands of light years away. So if the aliens were to travel at sub-light speeds they wud take thousands of years to make a to and fro journey :?

c4ramesh
9th May 2007, 01:53 PM
I am actually confused.. are u trying to claim that these pics are real or fake? coz most of the opinions expressed in the link says that it is a clear fake :lol:

and the writing used is from Star wars "return of jedi" ... :rotfl:

I am not taking any stance, I just posted the information I got. A few guys who have worked with Photoshop told me, these images seem great and one needs to have done a superb job to have photoshoped these images. I posted what I heard.

I saw updates on this issue, hence I posted that too.
:)

c4ramesh
9th May 2007, 02:06 PM
Actually I wonder wether Aliens can actually visit us :roll:

Who knows? :? :lol:

We all know speed of light is an universal upper limit and the closest known star is atleast 4.3 light years and most of them are thousands of light years away. So if the aliens were to travel at sub-light speeds they wud take thousands of years to make a to and fro journey :?

There is a effect called "geodetic effect", according to which Space and time can be bent , it was proposed by Einstein. People who support UFO theory say that the ETs have somehow been able to manipulate the Space Time fabric, so as to make their travel. :?

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtVOhAl2ks

Also read the book called Hyperspace, a great exposition of superstring theory.

thamizhvaanan
9th May 2007, 02:34 PM
Geodetic effect is the phenomena of shift in earth's axis of spinning. Wat does that got to do with space travel? :huh:

May be u are referring to frame dragging which actually results in Geodetic effect. And Yea.. einstein's theory of relativity implies a curved space time fabric.. but that doesn explain how it will help the aliens to skip distance or time :?

c4ramesh
9th May 2007, 02:43 PM
Geodetic effect is the phenomena of shift in earth's axis of spinning. Wat does that got to do with space travel? :huh:

May be u are referring to frame dragging which actually results in Geodetic effect. And Yea.. einstein's theory of relativity implies a curved space time fabric.. but that doesn explain how it will help the aliens to skip distance or time :?

It does, Geodetic effect is bending of the space by sun because of which earth rotates it. Proponents of UFO theory say that if ETs somehow manage to bend space and thereby reduce the distance of the travel.

watch the Video I gave, and also read the article I gave i the last page: http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1012756#1012756

thamizhvaanan
9th May 2007, 03:18 PM
Geodetic effect is bending of the space by sun because of which earth rotates it :roll:

Geodetic effect is the change in spin direction of earth which occurs because earth warps space time around it. Note the term Geo in the word. I wonder wats the role of sun here :? And its true that all heavy bodies warps space time arnd them according to eintein's physics. As a result the distances in space are somewhat different than what they would be, were the body to be non-existent in that area. So, its true.. gravity bends space time. But I wonder how ETs can bend space time :?

I will go through ur other article later ... :wave:

c4ramesh
9th May 2007, 03:30 PM
Geodetic effect is bending of the space by sun because of which earth rotates it :roll:

Geodetic effect is the change in spin direction of earth which occurs because earth warps space time around it. Note the term Geo in the word. I wonder wats the role of sun here :? And its true that all heavy bodies warps space time arnd them according to eintein's physics. As a result the distances in space are somewhat different than what they would be, were the body to be non-existent in that area. So, its true.. gravity bends space time. But I wonder how ETs can bend space time :?

I will go through ur other article later ... :wave:

It is not just the earth:

represents the effect of the curvature of space-time, predicted by general relativity, on a spinning, moving body. A related effect was first predicted by Willem de Sitter in 1916, who provided relativistic corrections to the Earth-Moon system's motion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_effect

Not just the Earth.

Here again:

Just as a bowling ball placed on a trampoline stretches the fabric and causes it to sag, so planets and stars warp space-time- a phenomenon known as the 'geodetic effect' . A marble moving along the trampoline will be drawn inexorably towards the ball.

Thus the planets orbiting the Sun are not being pulled by the Sun; they are following the curved space-time deformation caused by the Sun. The reason the planets never fall into the Sun is because of the speed at which they are travelling.

source (http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/04/15/einstein-was-right-space-and-time-bend/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fobserver.guardian.co.uk%2Fuk_new s%2Fstory%2F0%2C%2C2057529%2C00.html&frame=true)

It can refer to the Stars and the planets not just the EARTH.

But I wonder how ETs can bend space time

Good question, but thats what we have to find... :D

c4ramesh
9th May 2007, 05:09 PM
Star dies in monstrous explosion

A massive star about 150 times the size of the Sun exploded in what could be a long-sought new type of supernova, Nasa scientists have said.

Supernovae occur when huge, mature stars effectively run out of fuel and collapse in on themselves.

But scientists believe this one was obliterated in an explosion which blasted all its material into space.

And astronomers say a star in our own Milky Way galaxy could be about to perform the same celestial fireworks.

The supernova star, called SN 2006gy, was originally discovered in September last year.

Click to see included image. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/07/sci_nat_enl_1178614836/html/1.stm)

The explosion was seen to peak for about 70 days, during which it is thought to have shone about five times more brightly than any supernova seen in the past.

"Of all exploding stars ever observed, this was the king," Alex Filippenko, one of the Nasa-backed astronomers observing the phenomenon, said.

'Monstrous explosion'

Nathan Smith, who led a joint team from the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Texas in Austin, said it was a "truly monstrous explosion, a hundred times more energetic than a typical supernova".

"That means the star that exploded might have been as massive as a star can get, about 150 times that of our Sun. We've never seen that before."

He said the explosion, which was located some 240 million light-years away, polluted the surrounding environment with metals and elements that are needed for life.

Scientists say that the star which blew apart is similar to Eta Carinae, an enormous star in our own Milky Way, 7,500 light-years from Earth.

They say that before SN 2006gy went supernova, it expelled a large amount of material, similar in mass to that now being ejected by Eta Carinae, prompting speculation that a similar fate awaits Eta Carinae.

Dave Pooley, at the University of California at Berkeley, said if Eta Carinae were to explode "it would be so bright that you would see it during the day, and you could even read a book by its light at night".

He added there had not been a supernova witnessed in the Earth's Milky Way galaxy for more than 400 years.

Mario Livio, of the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, said that Eta Carinae could be seen to explode at any time.

"We don't know for sure if Eta Carinae will explode soon, but we had better keep a close eye on it just in case," he was quoted by AFP as saying.

"Eta Carinae's explosion could be the best star-show in the history of modern civilisation," he said.

The latest SN 2006gy results will appear in the Astrophysical Journal. They incorporate observations from the Lick, Keck and Chandra observatories.

[Soucre: BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6633609.stm)]

c4ramesh
9th May 2007, 05:51 PM
King Herod's ancient tomb 'found'

An Israeli archaeologist says he has found the tomb of King Herod, the ruler of Judea while it was under Roman administration in the first century BC.

After a search of more than 30 years, Ehud Netzer of the Hebrew University says he has located the tomb at Herodium, a site south of Jerusalem.

Herod was noted in the New Testament for his Massacre of the Innocents.

Told of Jesus' birth, Herod ordered all children under two in Bethlehem to be killed, the Gospel of Matthew said.

According to the New Testament, Jesus' father Joseph was warned of the threat in a dream and fled with his wife and child to Egypt.

Limestone fragments

"When I realised it was the tomb there was great happiness," said Prof Netzer, who has worked at the Herodium site since 1972.

"Everyone has an interest in the Holy Land and Herod's tomb is part of that story."

It was an ancient staircase built for Herod's funeral procession - described in detail by First Century historian Josephus Flavius - that led Prof Netzer's team to the hill-top burial site.

"The monumental stairs were built specifically for the funeral," Prof Netzer said.

At the site, archaeologists found a smashed limestone sarcophagus that, when whole, would have been around 2.5m (8ft) long.

Ornate rosette decorations on the fragments alerted the team to the coffin's significance.

No bones were found at the site. Prof Netzer said that they had likely been removed by Jewish rebels who fought against Rome between 66 and 72 AD.

The site at Herodium is in the West Bank, occupied by Israel since 1967.

Palestinians officials have in the past complained about what they see as the theft and commercial exploitation of their artefacts.

Major find

If the find is confirmed, this will rank as a major archaeological discovery, BBC Jerusalem correspondent Tim Franks says.

Experts have always believed that Herod was buried somewhere within the palace complex he had constructed on a flattened hilltop in the Judean desert, but they had repeatedly struggled to find any evidence to back up their theories.

Herod was appointed "King of the Jews" by the Roman authorities and ruled Judea from 37 BC until his death in around 4 BC.

He is known for his expansion of the Second Jewish Temple and the construction of walls around the Old City of Jerusalem.

He also built the fortress of Masada, which became the last stand of Jewish rebels in 73 AD.

[Source: BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6633979.stm)]

c4ramesh
10th May 2007, 05:41 PM
[tscii:28db7006fe]Scientists one more step closer to realising invisible technology

A unique computer model designed by a mathematician at the University of Liverpool has shown that it is possible to make objects, such as aeroplanes and submarines, appear invisible at close range.

Scientists have already created an ‘invisibility cloak’ made out of ‘metamaterial’ which can bend electromagnetic radiation – such as visible light, radar or microwaves – around a spherical space, making an object within this region appear invisible.

Until now, scientists could only make objects appear invisible from far away. Liverpool mathematician Dr Sébastien Guenneau, together with Dr Frédéric Zolla and Professor André Nicolet from the University of Marseille, have proven - using a specially designed computer model called GETDP - that objects can also be made to appear invisible from close range when light travels in waves rather than beams.

Scientists predict that metamaterials could be of use in military technology, such as in the construction of fighter jets and submarines, but it will be some years before invisibility cloaks can be developed for human beings.

Dr Guenneau, at the University’s Department of Mathematical Science, explains:

“The shape and structure of aeroplanes make them ideal objects for cloaking, as they have a fixed structure and movement pattern. Human beings and animals are more difficult as their movement is very flexible, so the cloak - as it is designed at the moment - would easily be seen when the person or animal made any sudden movement.

“A cloak, such as the one worn by the Harry Potter character for example, is not yet possible but it is a good example of what we are trying to move towards. Using this new computer model we can prove that light can bend around an object under a cloak and is not diffracted by the object. This happens because the metamaterial that makes up the cloak stretches the metrics of space, in a similar way to what heavy planets and stars do for the metrics of space-time in Einstein’s general relativity theory.
“In order for the cloaking device to work in the first place light has to separate into two or more waves resulting in a new wave pattern. Within this pattern we get light and dark regions which are needed in order for an object to appear invisible.

“Until now, however, it was not clear whether photons – particles that make up all forms of light – can split and form new waves when the light source is close to the object. If we use ray optic techniques – where light travels in beams - photons break down at close range and the object does not appear invisible. If we study light as it travels in waves however, invisibility is maintained.”

Scientists predict that invisibility will be possible for objects of any shape and size within the next decade.

The research findings are published in Optic Letters.

Source: University of Liverpool

[Source: physorg (http://physorg.com/news97945163.html)][/tscii:28db7006fe]

c4ramesh
12th May 2007, 07:03 PM
[tscii:943b0fa00b]
Our Solar System is "bullet shaped", Space and Astronomy

Our solar system flies through space in the shape of a speeding bullet, according to data from NASA's two Voyager spacecraft.

The sun and its planets are known to streak through the void of space at approximately 62,000 miles (100,000 kilometers) an hour.

he system travels within a bubble of solar wind—made of charged particles from the sun—called the heliosphere.

The edge of this bubble collides with the Milky Way galaxy's magnetic field at a distance some 200 times farther from the sun than Earth is.

A research team led by Merav Opher at Virginia's George Mason University found that, just outside the solar system, this interstellar magnetic field is inclined at a 60-degree angle relative to the plane of the Milky Way.

The solar system takes on its streamlined shape as it strikes the magnetic field at this angle, Opher explained.

(See an interactive map of the solar system (http://www.nationalgeographic.com/solarsystem/ax/low.html?2d).)

"The shape of the solar system, this bullet, is really shaped by what lies ahead of us—the interstellar magnetic field," Opher said.

"The [prevailing] idea is that the environment just outside our solar system is patchy and turbulent," she added.

"There are lots of stars exploding and dying outside our solar system."

Opher and colleagues made the find using radio data from the veteran Voyager spacecraft. Though they have plied the skies since the 1970s, the craft only recently reached the solar system's edge.

The study has added new wrinkles to evolving views of the interstellar magnetic field, said Randy Jokipii, an astrophysicist at the University of Arizona.

"[The study] does indeed give us a magnetic field which is quite a bit different than that obtained by previous measurements," Jokipii said.

"In the last few years we've seen almost an explosion in our understanding of what I'd call the … local interstellar medium and its interaction with the heliosphere," added Jokipii, who provided a perspective article to the Science research.

[Source: National Geographic (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/05/070510-solar-system.html)][/tscii:943b0fa00b]