PDA

View Full Version : North Indian Food vs Southie

Surya
27th May 2006, 11:58 PM
Man! NO CONTROVERCY IN THIS SECTION....EVERY SECTION OF THE HUB HAS SOME SORT OF CONTROVERCY..

Misc:

Mother in Law vs Daughter in Law

Indian History:

Aryan vs Dravidian

Tamil Films:

Rajini vs Kamal
Ajith vs VJ
Surya vs Vikram
Simbu vs Dhanush
Vadivelu vs Koundamani
Mumtaaj vs Alphonsa

etc etc...

Hubbers Lounge:

Ninjaz vs IMMK

.................................................. ...............................................

Now...this is the only section that doesn't have these fights...no one is taking sides, no one is loading their shotguns....COME ON GUYS!!! WE'RE HUBBERS!!!

So Lets Start...

I'm gonna say that I love both. I could eat South or North Indian Food everyday, it wouldn't bother me. They both ROCK MY TASTE BUDS! :thumbsup:

But I'm sure that others don't feel this way! Please Feel Free to throw a few Rotten eggs and tomatoes @ the opposing team! 8-)

3....2......1......START!!! 8-)

romio
28th May 2006, 12:11 AM
Dont divide India with this north south
Surya bhai pls Lock this thread :|

Jai Hind
Vandemataram :thumbsup:

crazy
28th May 2006, 12:12 AM
surya there was two reply
i voted for southie....................so i think u voted for the northie!

hm intresting tread!

i love southie food...............iam not much into food and coocking, but iam just writting what i feel!
:roll:

Surya
28th May 2006, 01:55 AM
Dont divide India with this north south
Surya bhai pls Lock this thread :|

Jai Hind
Vandemataram :thumbsup:

Romio Bhai,
This is just for fun, :P Nothing here will be taken seriously! :D :D

Jai Hind!

Crazy,
I didn't vote for anyone since I like both, romio didn't vote for anyone since he doesn't even think of india as north and south, so someone voted and didn't post I guess. 8-)

ayeshasadique
28th May 2006, 02:35 AM
both have their own specialities........
but health wise i think south side dishes are better..........dont throw rotten eggs at me if Iam wrong :))

Surya
28th May 2006, 03:51 AM
We should recurit some Northies to this forum! :P

Lambretta
28th May 2006, 11:15 AM
I'm gonna say that I love both. I could eat South or North Indian Food everyday, it wouldn't bother me. They both ROCK MY TASTE BUDS! :thumbsup:
Same here! Tats y I didnt vote for either! :P :lol:
Well, I'm a 'standard' rasam/thayir satham & dosai (more than idly) freak wen at home, & love trying out pani puri, pav bhaji, naan etc. wen I go out....but yea, luv both! :thumbsup: :D

mgb
28th May 2006, 01:19 PM
both have their own specialities........
:thumbsup: absolutely..

but health wise i think south side dishes are better..........dont throw rotten eggs at me if Iam wrong :))

:evil: don't shoot in dark.. please substantiate your statement or else withdraw your statement :twisted:

ayeshasadique
28th May 2006, 01:46 PM
well......each has his/her own opinion, after all its a democratic country bhai!!

ramky
29th May 2006, 03:29 AM
I feel the topic's question is not fair towards North-Indian food, because I dont think there are members here who has tasted the entire gamut of delicacies the North has to offer, which can satisfy the palette of even the most critical gourmand.

I have searched many restaurants in Chennai during my visits from New Delhi, but couldnt even find one which has "Rajma" ( its a gravy stuff like CholE, made with kidney beans ), or "Batoora" on the menu. Like these there are plenty of NI dishes which are not on the menu in hotels / restaurants outside the Northern region. ( I dont know about places abroad ).

My point :arrow: The scales are already tilted towards South-indian food because of the reasons I have stated.

I find NI food equally as tasty as South-indian, but feel the latter is more healthy, because the majority of NI dishes use plenty of oil & ghee not to say of a variety of masalas.

There should have been two questions :
1. which one is the tastiest ?
2. which is the healthier choice ?

R.C.
29th May 2006, 08:54 AM
"I have searched many restaurants in Chennai during my visits from New Delhi, but couldnt even find one which has "Rajma" ( its a gravy stuff like CholE, made with kidney beans ), or "Batoora" on the menu. "

usually you can find something very similar(if not exactly the same) in the form of Chola Puri.

dev
29th May 2006, 09:34 AM
I have searched many restaurants in Chennai during my visits from New Delhi, but couldnt even find one which has "Rajma" ( its a gravy stuff like CholE, made with kidney beans ), or "Batoora" on the menu. Like these there are plenty of NI dishes which are not on the menu in hotels / restaurants outside the Northern region.

I am not sure abt chennai... but b'lore U can find these stuffs in many restaurents... Even the stuffed parantas, i'm not sure if it's available in chennai...

My preference:

Homecooked- both stand equal as it can be prepared to one's taste...
Restaurents: I would prefer south Indian food rather than north Indian food as most hotels use hell a lot of spices, ghee/oil & cream in most northie dishes...

In b'lore, I used to go to Queen's whenever I feel like having northie food as they serve mildly spiced, not so creamy dishes...I can have Dhaba food once in a while but not on a regular basis...Hmmm... now what do I vote for???!!!... :? :roll:

mgb
29th May 2006, 11:31 AM
well......each has his/her own opinion, after all its a democratic country bhai!!

ayeshaben.. naama edhavadhu sanda pottadhan surya happya iruppaarnu summa lululaaku udhaar vitten avlodhan :lol:

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 11:54 AM
mgb dear,
theriyum.....athaan naanum valarthu vitten...surya wants controversy illaiya?

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 11:59 AM
even when cooking at home , a lot of my northie friends when making curries,just pour in so much of ghee and oil, that the dish is actually filled half with oil!!

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 12:04 PM
one of my cousin's wife is from Delhi....even when serving plain rice, she drizzles it veryyyyyyyy generously with ghee....
i remember making her boil some more rice for me (just for fun), saying that I wanted to have curd rice , so needed rice without her oil/ghee treatment :) :)

dev
29th May 2006, 12:19 PM
even when cooking at home , a lot of my northie friends when making curries,just pour in so much of ghee and oil, that the dish is actually filled half with oil!!

Yeah... they find it satisfying only when they see a layer of oil/ghee floating on top of the curry... I am not sure if everyone prepares it the same way...

Even South Indian food can be made less healthier by the use of coconut... it's a very common practise to add coconut to curries down south...But otherwise, it's healthier...

dev
29th May 2006, 12:19 PM
o
i remember making her boil some more rice for me (just for fun), saying that I wanted to have curd rice , so needed rice without her oil/ghee treatment :) :)

That's :twisted:

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 12:37 PM
:) :)

ramky
29th May 2006, 08:24 PM
which is exactly my point ! so being tasty & healthy are mutually exclusive. even though my preference is for NI food, i think SI food is more healthy.

so either surya or dev can add one more poll option like i mentioned in the previous post.

kavithasenthil
29th May 2006, 11:14 PM
when i was in india a north indian friend gave me a cup of curry. I thought it must be some 'pickle' . It has an inch of oil on top of the curry. but she told me its a cauliflower curry to eat with chapathi. :roll:

Here in US we went to gujarati's home. she made roti and paratha. she just put 1 ts of ghee for each chapati and rubbed all over(she made the dough with plenty of oil is another mattter). and poured 2 Tbspoon of oil for each paratha. :evil:

Regardng the taste i think we have to compare the home cooking of both south and north. I feel both tastes wonderful.

I think we need 'both' option in the poll.

ramky
30th May 2006, 03:20 AM
Regardng the taste i think we have to compare the home cooking of both south and north. I feel both tastes wonderful.
I think we need 'both' option in the poll.

I agree completely.

solona
30th May 2006, 09:01 AM
When I want to eat idli, dosai, vadai or mysore pak, I cook myselves. When I want to eat Pani puri, channa batoora, a pav baji or a rasgola(even though I prepare them, they are not my specialities) restaurent poi than sappidanum. So kidaikatha samanoukou thanae mouse adigam.

So being a southie I have weakess for northie food! :oops:

dsath
30th May 2006, 03:32 PM
dev, coconut is not very unhealthy as popularly believed. It adds sweetness to a curry without being excessively sweet like sugar and brings out the flavour of the whole dish. Please see the link for more information on coconut's health benefits.
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/28/coconut_health.htm

dev
30th May 2006, 04:52 PM
yeah... I see many such articles these days... But am still skeptical abt its credits... So, I don't prefer to use it in everyday cooking... Even today, anyone with high cholesterol/cardiovascular disease are asked to cut down on meat & coconut as the first step...Although coconut oil doesn't contain cholesterol, it contains the type of fat which can be used by the body to make cholesterol.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/050613/13fitness.htm

bingleguy
30th May 2006, 04:55 PM
Coconut is definitely high choles ;-) but still cannot be comprised for its taste !

dev
30th May 2006, 05:03 PM
BG, coconut doesnt have cholesterol... its high in saturated fats which can be converted into cholesterol by the liver... its indirectly related to cholesterol... But yes, tastewise coconut is good & flavor-la coconut oil & ghee are the best...

bingleguy
30th May 2006, 05:30 PM
:clap: that normally can be said as Coconut has choles ;-) :lol: just kidding ... i take that point !

ayeshasadique
30th May 2006, 10:49 PM
dev, coconut is not very unhealthy as popularly believed. It adds sweetness to a curry without being excessively sweet like sugar and brings out the flavour of the whole dish. Please see the link for more information on coconut's health benefits.
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/28/coconut_health.htm

exactly....its a very wrong assumption ... may be its to boost the sale of canola oil :)

Surya
31st May 2006, 05:54 AM
I can't change the Poll.....:cry:

I guess I can only change it before ppl vote. :roll: :P

Lamby,

Exactly!! :lol: I stay out of controvercies, :roll: :P so I didn't really state it etiehr. :P

But things are too friendly here! :roll: :P

Anywayz,
I like both N and S indian food. I think that S Indian food is healthier, but I'd choose Northern Resteraunt over a Southern anyday! 8-)

Surya
2nd June 2006, 08:44 AM
I just had

The 1st Round:

RICE mixed with Saag Paneer.

Then 2nd Round:

Rice with Navrathan Kurma

Then 3rd Round:

Rice with Malaai Koftha

Then 4th Round:

Vegetable Biryaani mixed with Dal Mikhandi (or something)

And Finally...

5th Round:

I ate some raw Fruits and veges from the Salad Buffet, along with their Kheer! 8-)

@ an Indian Restaurant called "Bombay Garden" in San Jose.

WAAAHHH!!!!!!! Northie Food ROCK MY SOCKSS!!!! 8-) 8-)

bingleguy
2nd June 2006, 08:51 AM
Rice with Chenna ! i liked this combo !

dev
2nd June 2006, 10:18 AM
Surya,

get ur cholesterol level checked... :wink: :lol:

Dal Mikhandi (or something)

It's Dal Makani...

Badri
2nd June 2006, 10:22 AM
I can't change the Poll.....

I guess I can only change it before ppl vote.

I think Dev should be able to change it as the Mod

dev
2nd June 2006, 10:34 AM
I've added 'both' option...

Surya, let me know if it's fine or U need any other option to be added/modified...

Surya
2nd June 2006, 09:07 PM
Surya,

get ur cholesterol level checked... :wink: :lol:

Dal Mikhandi (or something)

It's Dal Makani...

Ppl have Colesterol Probs @ 19 years?! :o My parents always told me that I should start worrying abt Colesterol when I'm around 30. :( I guess that means Goodbye to the Butter Naans for snacks. :cry: :P

Yeah, the poll looks better! 8-)

dev
2nd June 2006, 09:48 PM
age doesn't matter... it depends on ur intake & workout... But yes, the older U are, higher are the chances...

sowmeia
2nd June 2006, 11:22 PM
Hi all!

here's my take on this q----Quite a few of you have said that u think south indian food is healthier than north indian..and u substantiate this by saying you've seen north indian cooks use a lot of oil/ghee...but u have to remember that u can make those very same dishes minus the oil/ghee. Also, rice is a must to have south indian food which is full of carbs!! My sister managed to lose weight simply by statying away from rice!! :roll: .......I dont know if this will be true for everybody but I have been trying to make a lot of north indian curries and chapatis to see if I hv the same success :wink:

ssanjinika
3rd June 2006, 01:00 AM
Surya,I guess its time for your colesterol/BP/soduim/whatever check up :lol:

dev
3rd June 2006, 06:55 AM
sowmeia,

it's true that north Indian dishes can be made with less oil/ghee... but very rarely do I find people doing it that way...Even if they skim down on oil, I find cream in most gravies... Dhals are ok when made at home... But in hotels, they add cream to that as well...

Yes, rice makes a difference... oil free chapathis are good... You can also try broken wheat(dhalia) in place of rice... It tastes good but needs some getting used to... we make it a point to have it instead of rice, atleast 2 or 3 times a week...

Alan
3rd June 2006, 08:17 AM
As an ardent food lover, I love both- I don't think you can classify either of these as "healthier' or "tastier" and I also believe that most foods that are tasty are not healthy- and vice versa. So yeah, one must use his/her discretion to combine 'health' & 'taste'.

Surya
3rd June 2006, 11:53 PM
Surya,I guess its time for your colesterol/BP/soduim/whatever check up :lol:

:oops:

Once Summer Holz start...I'm going to Heavy Weights again! 8-) Hopefully, I can still eat the way I am now. :P

ramky
11th June 2006, 07:51 AM
Rice with Chenna ! i liked this combo !

Vasanth : i too like this combo drive ! ....:D i mean to drive oneself !

ramky
11th June 2006, 07:55 AM
I've added 'both' option...

Surya, let me know if it's fine or U need any other option to be added/modified...

Dev / NOV : can u pl modify the poll itself as follows ?

* - South Indian food is tastier
* - North Indian food is tastier
* - South Indian food is healthier
* - North Indian food is healthier
* - Both are equally tasty
* - Both are equally healthy
* - Not sure

But so far only 26 votes :o . Maybe the Poll can be made sticky, considering that most Hubbers would have tasted both varieties ? just a suggestion, thats all. :)

Surya
17th June 2006, 07:41 AM
Yeah! That'd be a good idea! :)

ramky
18th June 2006, 08:07 PM
I "third" the proposal seconded by Surya !

dev
18th June 2006, 09:54 PM
sari sari... naalaiku maathiduren poll-aa... ini yaarum 4th, 5th ellam panna vendaam, please...:)

sry...getting late for me today...

ramky
21st June 2006, 09:53 PM
sari sari... naalaiku maathiduren poll-aa... ini yaarum 4th, 5th ellam panna vendaam, please...:)

Dev : thnx for modifying the poll :-)
sry abt my "kadi" post - its become a habit with me :oops:

kavithasenthil
22nd June 2006, 06:03 AM
dev,

recheck the poll. there are two north tasty food option.

dev
22nd June 2006, 07:16 AM

Dev : thnx for modifying the poll :-)
sry abt my "kadi" post - its become a habit with me :oops:

That's fine... carry on with ur kadis...:)

dev
22nd June 2006, 07:22 AM
dev,

thanks Kavitha... the poll has been reset... cast ur votes now...

madhu
22nd June 2006, 07:25 AM
so... ellarum marupadi otta podungo.. I mean.. vote-ai podungO !

ramky
23rd June 2006, 04:41 PM
dev,

thanks Kavitha... the poll has been reset... cast ur votes now...

dev : thnx !

southiecook
23rd June 2006, 11:38 PM
Can we change the poll slightly again as 'tasty' and 'healthy' refers to two different attributes? I mean splitting into two different polls..