PDA

View Full Version : CIMA

Hummingbird
1st June 2006, 11:06 AM
Is their anyone who has completed CIMA? Can you tell me how difficult the exams are?

dev
1st June 2006, 11:16 AM
CIMA... is this the exam for management accountants?

Hummingbird
1st June 2006, 11:22 AM
s. i am talking about the CIMA offered from UK

dev
1st June 2006, 11:36 AM
Ooh... okay...Sorry, I don't have much info abt it...have just heard abt it... Anyways, will chk with my friends & let U know if they have any details...Most are from accounting background...

Hummingbird
1st June 2006, 11:42 AM
thnx very much. any guidance wil b very helpful

Roshan
3rd June 2006, 12:26 AM
HB,

Dev is correct. CIMA is about Management Accountancy. CIMA stands for Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and it is a UK based institute. The exam is almost equal to an MBA of recognised universities in UK

I am an Associate Member of CIMA.

As regards the exams, it has vast differences when compared to the usual Charted Accountancy course. The syllabus stresses more on Strategic Management, Decision Making, General Organisational Management, IT Management with Financial Accounting and Financial Management. As long as I know it is the only exam that combines mathematics and accountancy.

It is quite popular in Sri Lanka and many opt for this exam since the qualification opens you to a better job market locally and overseas - compared to CA. More over it doesnt make you a number cruncher like CA.

Analytical skills are definitely a must with quite a bit of knowledge and interest in Mathematics.

Let me know if you need anything further on CIMA.

All the best !!

BTW, Are you from India ?

Hummingbird
3rd June 2006, 04:22 PM
Yes - I am from India. But right now i am overseas.

First of all, thanks for the details.

I would like to know what study materials you need to use for CIMA exams. I have recently registered for the exam and am unable to make out if CIMA texts alone is sufficient

On going thro the discussion forum in CIMA website, I understand that BPP's study materials are very useful for CIMA exams. Is that so?

I am from Accountancy background and have completed Cost and Works Accountancy from India

Roshan
3rd June 2006, 11:19 PM
HB,

You seem to be residing in Australia. Here in Sri Lanka there are private institutes that conduct lectures for CIMA. So there isnt much problem for us as there are full and part time lectures and you can chose as per your convenience. I dont know how it is in Australia. Following lectures helps you a lot. In case if you are following such lectures please continure to do so. If you are doing self studies then you've got put in a lot of effort. Since you've alreadly completed Cost and Works Accountancy - you would definitely be having some kind of a background on Management Accountancy.

BPP packs are good but I would advise not to rely on them totally. BPP revision kits helps you a lot to practice questions. But for references I would recomend you to follow the CIMA recomended texts. YOu may find the details on the website. In addition read the monthly journals you receive from UK as those magazines carry plenty of valuable articles that help you in the exams.

CIMA exams involves plenty of references and for each subject you may have to refer some popular text books. For example - for cost accountancy I would recomend Kaplan's and for Economics - Bowman's. Similarly for Marketing related topic you can refer the books of Philip Kotler.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Hummingbird
5th June 2006, 11:53 AM
Hi Roshan

Thanks a lot for your help.

I tried finding out some study centres over here. Unfortunately could not find any. Right now, I am planning to get the bpp study materials and start my preparation. I will be taking up P1, P4 and P7 in Nov 06 exams. The only option available to me right now seems to be self-study. I will start off with that. Will let u know if I need any further info

HB