PDA

View Full Version : Who will be scoring music for Maniratnam's Mahabharatha?

Vysar
2nd June 2006, 10:08 PM
Mani Ratnam has expressed his desire to direct Mahabaharatha in Big screen. Who do you think will be Maniratnam's choice to score music for this mythological film?

http://www.idlebrain.com/news/2000march20/bday-maniratnam.html

balaji
2nd June 2006, 11:09 PM
If no songs - Mani would opt for IR --> Ir would reject
If others --> Mani would opt for ARR --> ARR would accept

My choice
Songs by ARR
Background by IR (A background song by IR and sung by IR, when Bheeshma is on the death bed (and/or) when Karna on the death bed)

Bala

rashid2raj
2nd June 2006, 11:12 PM
ARR alone would do full justice for ANY maniratnam film.. Jus wait for GURU..

Vysar
3rd June 2006, 12:52 AM

Don't say anything like this yet because Dinesh2002 will open a new topic in ARR specific forum "Mahabharatha music by AR Rahman". See what happened to Chennai Kadhal. :lol:

svaisn
3rd June 2006, 06:56 AM
u dont have to think about this''

It will surely be ARR

MR approaching IR---> IR rejecting it....

Thiruntharathukku vaaipe ella pa :lol:

dinesh2002
3rd June 2006, 10:06 AM

Don't say anything like this yet because Dinesh2002 will open a new topic in ARR specific forum "Mahabharatha music by AR Rahman". See what happened to Chennai Kadhal. :lol:

yea...very much something like Rajini visited IR house during the anoucement of Shivaji and a certain group "CONFIRMED" that Shivaji will have music by Illaiyaraja... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A.ANAND
3rd June 2006, 10:58 AM
SRIKANTH DEVA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ramky
3rd June 2006, 01:39 PM
A.R.R. - With "Anbe AaruyirE", he has proved once again that he's the Father of Fusion, Juggler of Jugalbandhi, Magician of Music, and so on ...

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 08:59 AM
it would be ilayaraja to produce the hey raam effect!

svaisn
4th June 2006, 09:11 AM
We dont need an heyram effect

we are and ofcourse MR will also be fine with an IRUVAR effect,.....

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 09:15 AM

hmm..iruvar bg wouldnot justify a period film like mahabaratha.

it need a very rich orchestration..and we know ir is better than arr in orchestration!

thamizhvaanan
4th June 2006, 09:19 AM

just one question! how well was Heyram's BG appreciated?

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 09:23 AM

it got raving reviews in all magazines !

Justice
4th June 2006, 09:27 AM
Maniratnam is an outdated director, he should work with ARR only :lol:

svaisn
4th June 2006, 09:28 AM

A review in magazine doesnt earn much sir...

this is a commercial world......
We need commercial success....

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 09:29 AM

so do u say iruvar is a megahit??

svaisn
4th June 2006, 09:29 AM

hmm..iruvar bg wouldnot justify a period film like mahabaratha.

it need a very rich orchestration..and we know ir is better than arr in orchestration!
he did justice to movies like laagaan, KMuthamittal....

he will surely justify.... neednt worry about it much now...

lets wait for MR to officially announce.... GOK whether this project will come true.. lets wait and see

svaisn
4th June 2006, 09:31 AM

so do u say iruvar is a megahit??

sir i just replied for for ur raving reviews.......... nothing to do with iruvar
see my response for iruvar.......

and one thing.....

Iruvar also received good reviews... and MR still considers it as his best movie......

thamizhvaanan
4th June 2006, 09:32 AM

:shock: only tamil magazines! and wat about audience? how much did they appreciate?

IMO, IRs music needs some kind of initiation, a certain deal of familiarity. I find it is true for myself, that I am able to see several unseen levels of beauty in his music, which I never noticed in 19 yrs! The fact still remains that IRs music hasnt gone down well with North Indian, not to comment on their musical taste (bhangra and remixes :banghead: ) but still I dont want MRs film to sink like the magnificient Heyram. I think Heyram would have gathered more supporters and a better opening in north if its music had been a hit!

svaisn
4th June 2006, 09:34 AM
Thamizhvaanan

nalla vamnule mateenga.......

Naan escpae...

lets not discuss this.... we have enough forums where people fight.....

Almost everyone knows that ARR will be the MD.... then y do we have to fight...

It is better if we lock this thread

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 09:37 AM

:shock: only tamil magazines! and wat about audience? how much did they appreciate?

IMO, IRs music needs some kind of initiation, a certain deal of familiarity. I find it is true for myself, that I am able to see several unseen levels of beauty in his music, which I never noticed in 19 yrs! The fact still remains that IRs music hasnt gone down well with North Indian, not to comment on their musical taste (bhangra and remixes :banghead: ) but still I dont want MRs film to sink like the magnificient Heyram. I think Heyram would have gathered more supporters and a better opening in north if its music had been a hit!

not that way!....its the complexity of the movie which let it down among the people..and ir stood upto the class of the movie..u cant have fast and peppy numbers in hey raam!

how can u expect more than "isayil thodangudhamma" "nee paartha" "raam raam " "vaishanavo janatho"

thamizhvaanan
4th June 2006, 09:48 AM
I think only nee paartha was peerless. raam raam was actually quite popular, ofcourse because of the type of music. I liked the isaiyil song but read a review which said "dull orchestration lets the song down, so the singer is left to improve the song" :roll:

And a popular song need not be fast and peppy. take lagaan or azhagi for instance. folk melodies will also work! talking of lagaan I was watching the film with few of my friends recently and they were appreciating ARRs Bgm in each and every scene. They are not ARR fans but casual listeners, but his BGMs presence was more visible. ARR really does well when it comes to grandeur and pace. IRs forte is emotions.

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 09:50 AM
I think only nee paartha was peerless. raam raam was actually quite popular, ofcourse because of the type of music. I liked the isaiyil song but read a review which said "dull orchestration lets the song down, so the singer is left to improve the song" :roll:

And a popular song need not be fast and peppy. take lagaan or azhagi for instance. folk melodies will also work! talking of lagaan I was watching the film with few of my friends recently and they were appreciating ARRs Bgm in each and every scene. They are not ARR fans but casual listeners, but his BGMs presence was more visible. ARR really does well when it comes to grandeur and pace. IRs forte is emotions.

ir scored music for the video..they dint picturise for the song in hey raam..do u know?

and according to me "isayil thodangudhamma" is a gem and would be at the top of my favourites

thamizhvaanan
4th June 2006, 10:13 AM
yea I know. besides IRs talent was never under any doubt and no need to convince me of his acheivement.

anyway, are u offering this as an excuse? so do u commit urself to mean that album cud have been better? then that is my whole point!

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 10:17 AM
yea I know. besides IRs talent was never under any doubt and no need to convince me of his acheivement.

anyway, are u offering this as an excuse? so do u commit urself to mean that album cud have been better? then that is my whole point!

i consider hey raam is one of the best of ilayaraja ever and surprised to see his talent of composing for a video!

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 10:18 AM
anyway..mani has already done a modern Mahabaratha with ir .."thalapathy"!

svaisn
4th June 2006, 10:49 AM

opaethalllllllllsssssssssss...................

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 02:38 PM

opaethalllllllllsssssssssss...................

opeatala??..enna opeathal?..

dint thalapathy's rakkamma kaiya thatu become world famous?

thamizhvaanan
4th June 2006, 02:58 PM
honestly do u beleive in that?? In that poll, ppl didn have to login. they can just put as many votes as they wish! indians dominated by the weight of their population and naturally ARRs songs came on top due to his north + south popularity. IRs fans started competing. finally they won! how many non-tamilians do u think would know rakkama song?

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 03:23 PM
honestly do u beleive in that?? In that poll, ppl didn have to login. they can just put as many votes as they wish! indians dominated by the weight of their population and naturally ARRs songs came on top due to his north + south popularity. IRs fans started competing. finally they won! how many non-tamilians do u think would know rakkama song?

how many non tamilians would have read pudhumaipithan or jeyakanthan..its a shame for us to believe that tamil songs are great only if they are nationally popular!

thalapathy had great songs and music..thats it! do u say only tamilians can make it big?..only four crore people..that too in tamilnadu how many knew to vote using net in those days?

MADDY
4th June 2006, 04:07 PM
i just showed this thread to my frnd sitting near me in my office.....he is a delhiite, and the first question he asked was Who is Ilayaraja??......i guess that xplains why ARR will be ultimately chosen for this project........ARR's saleability in the north/world is unparallel to any other MD from tamil.....i guess for a huge project like this saleability is very important....

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 05:17 PM
i just showed this thread to my frnd sitting near me in my office.....he is a delhiite, and the first question he asked was Who is Ilayaraja??......i guess that xplains why ARR will be ultimately chosen for this project........ARR's saleability in the north/world is unparallel to any other MD from tamil.....i guess for a huge project like this saleability is very important....

haha..with amitabh or any big stars in this project with maniratnam..arr is not necessary for saleability!

regarding that friend who asks who is ilayaraja..he knows mani right?..so he would watch the movie and get to know hoooo is ILAYARAJA

thamizhvaanan
4th June 2006, 09:27 PM
how many non tamilians would have read pudhumaipithan or jeyakanthan..its a shame for us to believe that tamil songs are great only if they are nationally popular!

thalapathy had great songs and music..thats it! do u say only tamilians can make it big?..only four crore people..that too in tamilnadu how many knew to vote using net in those days?

thambi, kochikadha! you read my posts properly. nowhere I suspected the gr8ness of the songs or the talent of IR. I just elaborated who is more popular. you seem to agree but deny! :x it neednot be all the 4 crore people. just a couple of jobless beggars wud be enuf on either side :P they only fuel these needless comparisons and competition. Let's appreciate both the MDs without pausing a moment on pondering who is better :)

nilavupriyan
4th June 2006, 10:15 PM

thambi, kochikadha! you read my posts properly. nowhere I suspected the gr8ness of the songs or the talent of IR. I just elaborated who is more popular. you seem to agree but deny! :x it neednot be all the 4 crore people. just a couple of jobless beggars wud be enuf on either side :P they only fuel these needless comparisons and competition. Let's appreciate both the MDs without pausing a moment on pondering who is better :)

thambiya?..whats ur date of birth?..im 1986

svaisn
5th June 2006, 12:16 AM
Rakkamma... kaiya thattu

was a great song....

By the way, do u know how many scripts ran for IR.....

to be frank i voted for Rakamma..... and not thaiya thaiya...............

it is just that we wanted a tamil song........... :-)

nilavupriyan
5th June 2006, 07:32 AM
Rakkamma... kaiya thattu

was a great song....

By the way, do u know how many scripts ran for IR.....

to be frank i voted for Rakamma..... and not thaiya thaiya...............

it is just that we wanted a tamil song........... :-)

:clap:

rayan36
5th June 2006, 09:01 AM
Both the md's have gave their music fairly to MR movie's but today trends, with commercial success with period movie such as this ARR should be it because of his success in giving music to this genre of movies both commercial (saleable) and professionally

nilavupriyan
5th June 2006, 09:08 AM
Both the md's have gave their music fairly to MR movie's but today trends, with commercial success with period movie such as this ARR should be it because of his success in giving music to this genre of movies both commercial (saleable) and professionally

DO U SAY MANI'S FILM IS NOT SALEABLE WITHOUT ARR? :lol: :lol:

MusicIsLife
5th June 2006, 10:05 AM
Himesh Reshamaiya!!

svaisn
5th June 2006, 10:35 AM

Not at all Nilavu

but it is one of the main imp factor .............

and it helps for the initial opening....

U know Mani got the nation wide fame.... mainly after ROJA

u should accept this... and u know the role played by ARR in it.....

one personal request....

there qare few IR fans,,.. who always deny to give ARR credit which he deserves... I still dont undertsnad Y??

thamizhvaanan
5th June 2006, 12:14 PM
thambiya?..whats ur date of birth?..im 1986

1985 :twisted:

nilavupriyan
5th June 2006, 12:48 PM

Not at all Nilavu

but it is one of the main imp factor .............

and it helps for the initial opening....

U know Mani got the nation wide fame.... mainly after ROJA

u should accept this... and u know the role played by ARR in it.....

one personal request....

there qare few IR fans,,.. who always deny to give ARR credit which he deserves... I still dont undertsnad Y??

thats mainly because thats the first script where he touched a national issue!..it would had been even if it was composed by ilayaraja(arr did well)

i just mention that ir or arr doesnt fix the saleability..regarding quality i guess ir would be bteer in someway..may be others may think arr would produce a grand music

rajasaranam
5th June 2006, 03:16 PM
Sorry nilavu,

ROJA's success in north should be mainly attributed to ARR. The tamil songs itself were a huge hit even before the dubbed version came out. Only after this mani was recognised over there and his other movies were too dubbed which had IR's scores but they were not a big hit as expected :?

svaisn
5th June 2006, 05:57 PM
Nilavu...

I think u didnt get what i was tryong to say........

Anyways, forget it........

MusicIsLife
5th June 2006, 06:22 PM
RS
Onnu matram nichaiyam, I think the thread was really started to say a overwhelming ARR. When it comes to HFM, anybody could be a player, even it could be Ismail Darbar + combination.

Reality is different from WHAT IS BEING WISHED FOR, but adapting to work with MR and giving him time and scope to develop what he wants to.

In that regard, I think MR will choose ARR coz of few factors

1. ARR is well recognized with HFM audience and the recent successful RDB, IMHO best BGM for a Hindi Movie in recent years.
2. ARR has adapted to very well to the work ethic of MR
3. I tell one more time, Music business is separate from Movie now-a-days, so to kick start selling music apart from Movie it is important to have a recognizable name, ARR is one.
4. I think the movie black had amazing BGM (others might refute), whoever the person is could work well for MR's movie initiative.

5. Jatin-Lalit could be a innovative move.

Who could/should not be? in my order of preference

1. Anu Mallik
2. Himesh
3. Sandeep Chowta

FYI: For the matter of fact: Dalapathy was loosely based on Karna's story (even names: Surya-> Karna was Surya (sun) son, Deva and etc).

MusicIsLife
5th June 2006, 06:40 PM
Maddy
Athu eppadi, ungallukku IR-ai theriyudhu, unga friendsukku theriya mattaengaradhu?

Lot of my friends dont know who is IR, coz of the fact that they have been in the US for the past 18-20 years and they know "Daler Mahendi"

Your logic here does not correlate with your view point

You know I mean no offense, just wanted to let you know.

Vysar
5th June 2006, 11:07 PM
ARR is pretty good in techno music. I am not sure how good he will be for mythological movie like Mahabaratha. IMHO IR will be an ultimate choice for this venture. IR saleability took a beating in Thiruvasagam so ARR would be the final choice.

thamizhvaanan
5th June 2006, 11:29 PM
vysar, ARR's music is much much much more than techno. if u fail to understand its beauty, atleast try to stop urself from degrading it :evil:

MusicIsLife
5th June 2006, 11:30 PM
IR saleability took a beating in Thiruvasagam

Vysar,
Pardon my ignorance, is it real, i thought Thiruvasagam did pretty well, i dont have sales data to back up, but reports from various magazines did sound a pretty good reception among listening audience.

ARR's music is much much much more than techno : I dont think so, after watching RDB, i have faith that ARR can churn out a good one here.

genesis
6th June 2006, 02:10 AM
Did not MR do part of "Mahabharatha" in the name of "Dalapathi"? I think it will very difficult to do justice to Mahabharatha story in 2.5-3 hours.
Moreover everyone knows the story, so it will not be marketable. Well, unless MR manages good visual effects like "Lord of the Rings". which will require lot of cash.....who wants to produce this movie?

Coimg to music, it will be good, if IR can do this movie, it will be a great come-back for him. 99 out of 100 times, he will reject it. Eventually, it will go to ARR.

May be.... May be if Mani has luck... we may get the next ARR....(new face)

svaisn
6th June 2006, 06:21 AM
Did not MR do part of "Mahabharatha" in the name of "Dalapathi"? I think it will very difficult to do justice to Mahabharatha story in 2.5-3 hours.
Moreover everyone knows the story, so it will not be marketable. Well, unless MR manages good visual effects like "Lord of the Rings". which will require lot of cash.....who wants to produce this movie?

Coimg to music, it will be good, if IR can do this movie, it will be a great come-back for him. 99 out of 100 times, he will reject it. Eventually, it will go to ARR. May be.... May be if Mani has luck... we may get the next ARR....(new face)

another one..

common y do you think mani will go back to IR....

99.99999% he will never ask IR

dinesh2002
6th June 2006, 06:50 AM

Coimg to music, it will be good, if IR can do this movie, it will be a great come-back for him. 99 out of 100 times, he will reject it. Eventually, it will go to ARR. May be.... May be if Mani has luck... we may get the next ARR....(new face)

another one..

common y do you think mani will go back to IR....

99.99999% he will never ask IR

svaisn,thats the only thing they can do...THINK that Mani will go back to IR.... though i dun mind IF Mani does goes back to IR,coz we know def Mani has a soft corner for IR,knowing he came during IR's time and ofcource his debut movie too by IR... 8-)

but its total bull if u say ARR's music is not suitable for period movies or classic movies :evil: .... didint u see/hear TLOBS,LAGAAN,ZUBEIDA,BOSE the 4gotten Hero???composing for olden period projects is not a big thing,but getting a name for that matters... ARR has got all raving reviews bout his BGM in the movies mentioned above... ofcource Mahabaratha is much much much older than all those,but its not gonna be tough for ARRahman...come on....grow up...stop saying ARR's music is ONLY tehcno....duncha have any new strategy to pull down ARR?? u guys been doing that ever since ARR came into the field !!if thats how u say that...u r simply denying facts... :wink:

svaisn
6th June 2006, 07:04 AM
see even i am not against IR-MR comination....

I am only against this statement

MR approching IR
IR rejecting it....

All that i (may be WE) need is a good movie with great songs....

athu IR kuduthaalum okay ARR kudathulum... okay....

Scale
6th June 2006, 10:38 AM
This is a Old news under Boby Bedi's prodn. No more updates after that.

Currently MR is doing Guru and next will be AK yet to be confirmed.

rajasaranam
6th June 2006, 11:14 AM
Well I voted for ARR as the question delves into 'who will be scoring' But If it had been who should be then its none other than IR.
If you dont believe me listen to this awesome BGM piece from the movie 'Pandavas-the five warriors' produced by Pentamedia graphics limited.
http://rapidshare.de/files/22330728/DRAUPADI-SWAYAMVARAM.rm.html
I was fortunate enough to work in this project as a graphic artist and saw Raja once when he visited the studio :) 10 adi dhoorathil theivathai paarkum vaippu, angamellam poorikka asaiyaathu nindra sila kanangal vaazhvil marakka mudiyaathu :D

I've already uploaded the full movie as a torrent file and given the link here
http://www.tamiltorrents.net/forums/showthread.php?p=163624#post163624
anybody interested can download it and request me here itself if you need me to seed.

The clip i've uploaded here is one of best BGM's from the movie which travels from south indian classical to western classical to north indian classical and also a bit of folk element. in just under 3 minutes IR shows wat can be done to a movie with his music. If he can do this to an animated movie cant even think how will it be if its made of live characters....sure ARR would've done a great grand job but the emotions and feeling that surrounds the scenes with the music of Raja will be unparalled :)

nilavupriyan
6th June 2006, 12:25 PM
Well I voted for ARR as the question delves into 'who will be scoring' But If it had been who should be then its none other than IR.
If you dont believe me listen to this awesome BGM piece from the movie 'Pandavas-the five warriors' produced by Pentamedia graphics limited.
I was fortunate enough to work in this project as a graphic artist and saw Raja once when he visited the studio :) 10 adi dhoorathil theivathai paarkum vaippu, angamellam poorikka asaiyaathu nindra sila kanangal vaazhvil marakka mudiyaathu :D

anybody interested can download it and request me here itself if you need me to seed.

The clip i've uploaded here is one of best BGM's from the movie which travels from south indian classical to western classical to north indian classical and also a bit of folk element. in just under 3 minutes IR shows wat can be done to a movie with his music. If he can do this to an animated movie cant even think how will it be if its made of live characters....sure ARR would've done a great grand job but the emotions and feeling that surrounds the scenes with the music of Raja will be unparalled :)

exactly..arr would have made the film l;ook so grand..but not the emotions as raja do!

svaisn
6th June 2006, 07:09 PM
Nilavu

that was a good statement... i have ever heard from you/....

I secind yur words...

I think now MR needs Techno and grand music.......

dinesh2002
6th June 2006, 07:35 PM

exactly..arr would have made the film l;ook so grand..but not the emotions as raja do!
kaduvule....!!! :hammer: :banghead: ur talking like as if ONLY IR can do it.... when r u gonna learn that THERE ARE people can DO IT TO...y,,can DO IT EVEN BETTER....

Hulkster
6th June 2006, 07:49 PM
In India Only IR has really brought out the emotions with his BGM...Although Yuvan at some places and ARR at times do this...if you really want innovation and at the same time stick to the listeners heart...IRs BGM is always right at the top...you dunt have to be a fan of IR to realise this..and even if you compare ARR's BGM for offbeat movies with IR or any other MD for that instance..their effects dunt come quite close to that of IR's.

I will not state what are the BGMs as there are loads of them. Outside India there are people who might be better than IR in BGM.

dinesh2002
6th June 2006, 07:55 PM
In India Only IR has really brought out the emotions with his BGM...Although Yuvan at some places and ARR at times do this...if you really want innovation and at the same time stick to the listeners heart...IRs BGM is always right at the top...you dunt have to be a fan of IR to realise this..and even if you compare ARR's BGM for offbeat movies with IR or any other MD for that instance..their effects dunt come quite close to that of IR's.

I will not state what are the BGMs as there are loads of them. Outside India there are people who might be better than IR in BGM.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hulkster
6th June 2006, 08:07 PM
Athu seri...India leh IR thaan BGMai emotive ah aaka mudiyum nu sirripavargal ondru isaiyai ariyaathavargal..ellei isai enna endru therindhum marakiravargal...yethavethu seiyunga pa

svaisn
6th June 2006, 09:12 PM

ore oru chinna question....

Be frank...

How many people.. who go and watch movie.. listen to the BGM :roll:

all they want is songs.... performance of the stars and et al....

BGM is only recognised by people who have an interest in music...

In Mouna Raagam.... ( I dont deny the Master piece) just think how many people would have just admired karthik on the screen.. rather than listen to the music....

The seq of scenes from the time mohan comes to see revathy at her house.... the BGM was splendid... but how many % of people notice it.????

so guys it is all the SONGS which carry the MD amojng the public....

dinesh2002
6th June 2006, 09:25 PM
Athu seri...India leh IR thaan BGMai emotive ah aaka mudiyum nu sirripavargal ondru isaiyai ariyaathavargal..ellei isai enna endru therindhum marakiravargal...yethavethu seiyunga pa

mamse,i was laughing becoz the praise of IR's bgm is coming from a HRF like u.... thats y i laugh,coz its NORMAL,now,if i praise ARR is the best in BGM...what would u think??? the same thing is running in my mind.... let a non-tamil movie follower praise IR's bgm...not a fan like u who watch movie giving an extra % attention on BGM....

wut svaisn said, is very true..... 8-)

MusicIsLife
6th June 2006, 09:48 PM
Let a non-tamil movie follower praise IR's bgm

Dinesh
That is a very non-realistic expectation, coz IR BGM has a branding by itself. ARR did a pretty amazing thing of capturing HFM audience (so-2-say almost Indian audience)attention by the catchy tunes/freshness and good variations, he did provide a relief in giving the mundane HFM world from the likes of Anu Malik (though some of his compositions were good).

But I do not agree to what Svaisn said, you dont need to pay key attention to the BGM, talk and praise about it, it should be natural emotional reaction (as a general public). As fans and critics(so-2-say) here, we need to pay extra attention to detail.

But I do agree to Svaisn, the mass popularity of a MD is through his songs and melodies and to an extent remixes(atleast now-a-days), otherwise how would Himesh be such a huge hit!!

for ex RDB,LAGAAN does not need to be mentioned to have a good BGM, it just feels that way but not Mangal Pandey.

dinesh2002
6th June 2006, 10:04 PM
musicislife, i think u got me wrong... some people saying ARR cant compose bgm that evokes the feeling,and he does it occasionally only...that means only few films has good bgm by ARR,wherelse IR comes up with BGM that evokes that situiation all the time... so this quote is coming from an IR hcf,thats y i asked a non-tamil movie follower to say that,base on seeing tamil films without knowing who is the musician behind it... than it would be judgeable...

rajasaranam
7th June 2006, 12:15 AM
dinesh you wanted a non tamilian to appreciate Raja here is the review for heyram by subash k jha who is a famous critic of hindi movies. Unfortunately the review link is dead and this is the link I had given earlier in another thread here
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=3541&start=30&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Rama Raga

This is not music. It is history. It is a showcase of what true genius can achieve when it sets its heart on a goal. When violin maestro L Subramaniam walked out of Hey Ram, director Kamal Haasan invited his old friend Ilayaraja to compose songs that had already been filmed. In other words, the maverick musician had to create new tunes that occupied exactly the same space and playing time as the scrapped songs!

The way Hey Ram got ignored was extremely tragic. It speaks a lot about the ignorance that is fashionable among a section of self-styled critics in Mumbai that Ilayaraja�s brilliantly atmospheric music score, capturing all the tensions, tumult, passion, fury and tragedy of those violent times when the country got splintered in two, was written off as �uninspired� and �dull�.

Let us state once and for all that it is impossible for any composer in Mumbai to achieve what Ilayaraja has done in Janmon ki jwala thi tan mein. Man, what a melody! And what heights Asha Bhosle achieves as she goes at Sameer�s uncharacteristically articulate poetry! Hariharan gives Asha ample support. But this is primarily her song. And the composition is to die for. Note this Janmon ki jwala is one of the finest love ballads in the last five years. Ilayaraja hasn�t composed words, he has composed feelings in this unsurpassable and sweet ballad.

The Tamilian maestro breaks regional barriers with his raunchy lavni Asa ga madan gan, sung with aplomb by Anupama Deshpande and Preeti Uttam. Preeti (who is composer Uttam Singh�s daughter) shows her heightened raga skills in the midriff of the lavni and later, in Prem bin. The track Chaahe pandit ho chaahe kazi ho, about communal amity featuring Kamal Haasan, Hariharan and Jolly Mukherjee (who sing for Kamal, Shah Rukh Khan and Saurabh Shukla) conveys a quaint intimately epical feeling.

The classical maestro from Calcutta, Ajay Chakraborty, fills the soundtrack with sounds of fury in Har koi samjhe. Kamal Haasan is joined by his daughter Shruti for the title track composed and rendered as a riot of choler. It is angry and tempestuous. Just like the film. It is hard to believe that this score came to Ilayaraja by default when L Subramaniam opted out. Though Hey Ram is a film soundtrack, it is not a filmi score.

Barring the timeless Janmon ki jwala, the songs, music and dialogues are directly and indelibly linked to the film. How can we comprehend the significance of the sanyas mantra where Kamal Haasan�s voice merges with Hema Malini�s, unless we connect it to the proceedings on screen? Or Rani Mukherjee�s recitation of Jibonandadas' poem? It is woven into the brutal and tender fabric of this monumental film.

Subhash K Jha

svaisn
7th June 2006, 12:59 AM
Though Hey Ram is a film soundtrack, it is not a filmi score.

can u please let me know

what he means by this??

Vysar
7th June 2006, 01:19 AM
Though Hey Ram is a film soundtrack, it is not a filmi score.

can u please

what he means y this??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmi

dinesh2002
7th June 2006, 09:41 AM
Rajasaranam,thanks for that great review.... but i seriously was looking 4ward for a praise of IR in the BGM section,claiming all the stuffs that most of IR's fan claiming.... that he is THE ONLY 1 IN INDIA is th best.... ofcource about Hey Ram...no 1 can deny its an execellent score,even i loved the songs every 1 and each bit...though the style of it seriously reminds me of ARR's typical style.... the arrangements all.... :?

ps : IR composed all the songs after the songs beeing picturised... even for the Poolathe Madhan & Raman Aanalum?? that is something great...coz it seems it was picturised after IR's songs been composed.... i wanna know,what actually made this situation came up?? who was the original MD and how was that songs??? 8-)

Justice
7th June 2006, 10:26 AM
In Mouna Raagam.... ( I dont deny the Master piece) just think how many people would have just admired karthik on the screen.. rather than listen to the music....

ya how many people would care ARR's music in Shivaji? :lol: we'll watch it for RK.. arr or vdyasagar.. it doesn't matter

Hulkster
7th June 2006, 10:50 AM
Rajasaranam,thanks for that great review.... but i seriously was looking 4ward for a praise of IR in the BGM section,claiming all the stuffs that most of IR's fan claiming.... that he is THE ONLY 1 IN INDIA is th best.... ofcource about Hey Ram...no 1 can deny its an execellent score,even i loved the songs every 1 and each bit...though the style of it seriously reminds me of ARR's typical style.... the arrangements all.... :?

ps : IR composed all the songs after the songs beeing picturised... even for the Poolathe Madhan & Raman Aanalum?? that is something great...coz it seems it was picturised after IR's songs been composed.... i wanna know,what actually made this situation came up?? who was the original MD and how was that songs??? 8-)

Im shocked to see this from you...:shock:..It is not a claim that IR is the best in the BGM section...its a fact...listen to all his movies as a neutral and even certain movies look very realistic with IR's BGM score...as R V Udhayakumar once said...his bgm can correct your directorial flaws...IR might at times not concentrate on the songs nowadays but his BGM is always top class regardless of which movie he is doing it for. Dinesh seems like your still ignorant of IR...even if you do hate him...remember that he is the only maestro that India has produced and composed a symphony...and to compose a symphony you need to have a very good technique of implying music to expression emotions and that too in a standard symphony movement...that itself is a logical explanation of why IR's BGMs are so expressive of the scenes in the movie.

And we may like ARR, Laxmikant Pyarelal, SD Burman but truth remains that India has only one maestro which is IR and that makes him uncomparable to others till anybody becomes a maestro...im ending it here.

Scale
7th June 2006, 11:03 AM
Dinesh,

Ask L Subramaniam, Singer Asho Bhosle, Hariharan etc... Cameraman & the Editor?

The videos which were actually shot for LS songs have not been heard b4 & Asha Bhosle was emotionally singing to these video without even the help of lyricists & orchestras played simultaneousy . What a Joke? :lol:

Ridiculous! the Editor earned his share without even a single cut,paste in this movie? :roll:

Next the Cameraman, Didnt he Shoot anything after IR's recordings? :roll:

Does this logic was applied by every JURY for MD category. Yeah it won BestBGM! truly what it deserved.

rocketboy
7th June 2006, 11:10 AM
Lajja BGM was widely appreciated. Infact IR was invited to score just the bgm alone . does it tell something?

Sanjeevi
7th June 2006, 11:13 AM
Dinesh,

Ask L Subramaniam, Singer Asho Bhosle, Hariharan etc... Cameraman & the Editor?

The videos which were actually shot for LS songs have not been heard b4 & Asha Bhosle was emotionally singing to these video without even the help of lyricists & orchestras played simultaneousy . What a Joke? :lol:

Ridiculous! the Editor earned his share without even a single cut,paste in this movie? :roll:

Next the Cameraman, Didnt he Shoot anything after IR's recordings? :roll:

Does this logic was applied by every JURY for MD category. Yeah it won BestBGM! truly what it deserved.

SPB vanthu MSV 1800+ movies pottu irukarnu puruda vitta atha ellam nambunga. Ithai ungalala namba mudiyathuthan

Scale
7th June 2006, 11:20 AM
[quote=dinesh2002]
remember that he is the only maestro that India has produced and composed a symphony...and to compose a symphony you need to have a very good technique of implying music to expression emotions and that too in a standard symphony movement...

Hulku, Nexttime Onwards please dont bring this point to prove IR's greatness/composing skills for any reason. Dont rely so much on never released symphony & its under so much controversies needs to be unfolded by IR himself. Did he care? :roll:

Dinesh, IR is Master of BGM & he does that so quickly immdtly after watching the scenes. And thats his biggest strength many couldnt possess and for hulk: others cannot DO/not par is unsighted.

Scale
7th June 2006, 11:24 AM
Sanjeevi,

thirumba thirumba atheye volaradha.. That was a live IR's show millions & millions were watching. SPB said it about MSV. un mara mandaikku yerave yeradha.

Still It made some sense with RS's post regarding this.

MADDY
7th June 2006, 11:32 AM

ya how many people would care ARR's music in Shivaji? :lol: we'll watch it for RK.. arr or vdyasagar.. it doesn't matter

hi thunder, how r u?? missing u a lot these days :D

i guess BGM is a integral part of the movie but guys can any BGM make ppl. buy 150rs ticket for a movie??? well songs can and have done in the past but not BGM.....sorry, if ppl. think so.....

moreover, dinesh is perfectly right, show me one non-IR fan praising his BGM as soulful and mindblowing like IR fans do........maybe a few ARR fans here will but none outside musical circles.......so BGM is a highly restricted entity of movies.....u cant just say that is the most imp thing in a movie

Sanjeevi
7th June 2006, 11:38 AM
Scale, a false won't become true. It does not matter which program, which person told etc.

selvakumar
7th June 2006, 11:48 AM

Beg to differ.
Though we like his charm (karthik) in the movie,

IT is the songs..and BGM that increases the feel.
Just imagine hearing "MANDRAM VANTHA THENDRALUKKU" and the BGM that follows during the sudden death of karthick,

and after the famous dialogue "kambali poochi oorura maari irukku" :D

selvakumar
7th June 2006, 11:52 AM
Maddy,
Beg to differ on the BGM issue. IN some movies, songs won't be that much good. But the BGM and other things will have a drastic effect on the audience's overall feel. They might not identify it as a unique feature but will add it to the overall movie's ability to give that feel. :D

For eg, In INDIAN, the BGM that comes during the killing of the british man by KH was a highlight in the movie. The powerful BGM had a nice , exciting effect. For an ordinary person, it won't be a different thing but a part of the scene. But he /she will get the satisfaction apart from songs (which u can get from SUN MUSIC 24 X 7) :)

dinesh2002
7th June 2006, 12:38 PM

Im shocked to see this from you...:shock:..It is not a claim that IR is the best in the BGM section...its a fact...listen to all his movies as a neutral and even certain movies look very realistic with IR's BGM score...as R V Udhayakumar once said...his bgm can correct your directorial flaws...IR might at times not concentrate on the songs nowadays but his BGM is always top class regardless of which movie he is doing it for. Dinesh seems like your still ignorant of IR...even if you do hate him...remember that he is the only maestro that India has produced and composed a symphony...and to compose a symphony you need to have a very good technique of implying music to expression emotions and that too in a standard symphony movement...that itself is a logical explanation of why IR's BGMs are so expressive of the scenes in the movie.

And we may like ARR, Laxmikant Pyarelal, SD Burman but truth remains that India has only one maestro which is IR and that makes him uncomparable to others till anybody becomes a maestro...im ending it here.

its nice to see u end,but im willing to start it back :rotfl: .... look man...the 1 i bolded ...who is the 1 beeing ignorant here... :roll: :roll: :roll:

in which thread/or website did i ever mentioned i HATE IR??? :shock: goodness,just becoz i deny it doesnt mean i HATE IR.... anyways.... i have came across many many foreign website mentioning its ARR that is the ultimate MD that India have ever produced.... :lol: athe yepedi??? now u will come telling me its becoz they r not aware of IR..thats y they said that.... i already can predict some 'good' IR's fans answer :twisted: whether u agree or not... ARR is def in leauge with IR in BGMs... if IR is the master when he just sees the scene and writes down the notes for the bgm,its ARR who can give richness to the situation with his magical arrangements with FRESH/NEW idea.... unlike using the usual veenai for happy scenes :lol: :lol:

Hulkster
7th June 2006, 05:55 PM
It is true that India has only one maestro in history and thats IR...whats the ignorance here?...anyone who manages to compose a symphony and is approved by the conductor is regarded as a maestro..and in that sense IR is one.

Scale seri use penna mattein...but i dunt think IR will bother himself with the unreleased symphony as it is just trying to get him to release the symphony...Maybe IR is very stubborn not to release it after what one fella said abt his symphony according to the conductor sir john scott. Truth remains that it was recorded and done....:)

MusicIsLife
7th June 2006, 06:43 PM
Dinesh
IMHO
ARR is def in leauge with IR in BGMs-> dont agree

ARR who can give richness to the situation with his magical arrangements with FRESH/NEW idea -> agreed

dinesh2002
7th June 2006, 09:11 PM
ellarum nalla iruntha seri...ennaku ARR than best..... :lol:

dinesh2002
8th June 2006, 07:58 AM
Lajja BGM was widely appreciated. Infact IR was invited to score just the bgm alone . does it tell something?

even ARR was invited to compose 2 songs & the BGM when he cant do the whole songs in KISNA,...doesnt this tells u something 2 ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: