PDA

View Full Version : Books

Alan
3rd June 2006, 09:07 PM
What r ur all-time favourite books?

As a school kid, I enjoyed Sci-Fic but now, I am more into Non-Fiction & Religious books.

great
3rd June 2006, 09:33 PM
Amar chitra katha :thumbsup: :roll:

Shakthiprabha.
3rd June 2006, 10:04 PM
archie comics.

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BETTY COOPER.

dsath
3rd June 2006, 10:25 PM
Top of my head i can only think of these

Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.
Malgudi Days by R K Narayan.
A Squirell ful of arrows by J Archer.

rocketboy
3rd June 2006, 10:27 PM
I like Wilbur Smith's novels. Transports you into a different era. Wild life have alway fascinated me . And his novels will have atleast a few pages dedicated to the wild beasts of Africa. He discusses at length about lions, leopards, elephants. Makes interesting reading. Also big time fan of Ruskin Bond.

Surya
4th June 2006, 12:04 AM
archie comics.

BETTY COOPER.

Betty - Pretty, Down to earth

Veronica - Hot, Bitchy.

But my most fav was Cheryl Blossom. Enchanting. 8-)

I was and still am a Die Hard fan of Tintin. 8-) I even named my dog "Snowy" :roll: :P

ramky
4th June 2006, 12:29 AM
I like Wilbur Smith's novels. Transports you into a different era. Wild life have alway fascinated me . And his novels will have atleast a few pages dedicated to the wild beasts of Africa. He discusses at length about lions, leopards, elephants. Makes interesting reading. Also big time fan of Ruskin Bond.

Rocketboy : I also like his style of writing, characterisation & the content... I have read almost all of them ..

dsath
4th June 2006, 12:34 AM
I liked the Monsoon and River God. by Wilbur Smith. Infact i liked River God so much that i picked up the Warlocak which i thought was positively boring and dragging towards the end. The same can be said abt the sequels of Monsoon. They somewhat lacked the tempo in his previous books. Don't abt his latest books though.

ramky
4th June 2006, 01:32 AM
Monsoon was fine. Warlock - nope i dont think i have read it.
My favorites are the ones about the Ballantynes and Courtneys.
I also liked "The Leopard Hunts In Darkness" though it was not about either of these clans.

Alan
4th June 2006, 09:58 AM
I had enjoyed Yann Martel's "Life of Pi" immensely, the winner of Man Booker Prize, 2002!

swathy
5th June 2006, 12:52 PM

The small boy who did malgudi days is now my manager :-)

Badri
5th June 2006, 01:10 PM
I love

Terry Pratchet (author of Discworld) and Douglas Adams (author of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)for their highly intelligent, humor Sci-Fi. They make you laugh, but they also make you think. Often they discuss deep philosophical issues laced with humour.

For instance in Adams' The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, there is a scene where a cow walks up to a character, Dent and asks him to choose which part of her body he would like, and how would he like it cooked. It is a kind of alien menu card, where the animal walks up to you and asks you to choose! It was hilarious!

Dent is unable to choose as it is a talking, intelligent cow.

But the cow says, "I was created for this purpose and I am quite happy to be of service"

Dent refuses, saying "I cant take the life of a creature that is so willing"

And here comes the punch line, the cow asks him, "Oh, so you'd prefer killing an animal that is unwilling?"

I found it profound, though simply laced with humour!

rocketboy
5th June 2006, 01:33 PM

do you mean the boy who played the role of swami ? his name is some manjunath or something right. Tell him I liked his role very much. Played it to perfection.

swathy
5th June 2006, 02:05 PM

do you mean the boy who played the role of swami ? his name is some manjunath or something right. Tell him I liked his role very much. Played it to perfection.

His name is Raghuram.

Sure I'll say that :-)

rocketboy
5th June 2006, 02:35 PM
Then he didn't play the role of swami. I checked the video. It was indeed manjunath who played the lead . sorry have to take back the compliments. Raghuram is one of his friends in that episode.

swathy
5th June 2006, 02:43 PM
Then he didn't play the role of swamy. I checked the video. It was indeed manjunath who played the lead . sorry have to take back the compliments.

I dunno the name of the role but im sure he played the role of shankarnag's son.

no probs still I didn't speak with him regarding this :D

rami
5th June 2006, 02:54 PM
My all time fav books are
"Ponniyin Selvan" by Kalki
"Tell me your dreams" by Sidney Sheldon

Even now I do recollect the fun I had reading
"Amar chitra Katha"
"Tinkle "
"Gokulam"
"Ambulimama" (Can never forget my ambulimama collection which I had to let go when we shifted homes)
But I rarely find time to read them

Lambretta
5th June 2006, 03:28 PM
archie comics.
BETTY COOPER.
Hmm......ya I think she is chubby cheeked! :wink: :lol:

Betty - Pretty, Down to earth

Veronica - Hot, Bitchy.

But my most fav was Cheryl Blossom. Enchanting. 8-)
Huh? Whoz tat machi? Is tat an archie comics character? :?
Neways, reminds me of the shoe polish- Cherry Blossom! :P :lol:

sgokulprathap
5th June 2006, 03:36 PM
Yaarum Kumudam, Anandha Vikatan yellam padikka mateengala? :roll:

Lambretta
5th June 2006, 03:39 PM
Um.....enakau vanthu Tamizh padika varaathu :roll: :)
Also we dont get those here....

sgokulprathap
5th June 2006, 03:41 PM
Um.....enakau vanthu Tamizh padika varaathu :roll: :)
Also we dont get those here....

I can understand ur position. But how abt others. :wink:

dsath
5th June 2006, 04:03 PM

Kumudam, Anandha Vikatan ellam magazines illai? I thought we were discussing books. :D

sgokulprathap
5th June 2006, 04:22 PM

Kumudam, Anandha Vikatan ellam magazines illai? I thought we were discussing books. :D

Appa kooda yaarum Tamil books yellam sollala, except Ramya. :(

swathy
5th June 2006, 04:58 PM
naan padippen gokul

kalki novels

parthiban kanavu
sivagami sabadham
ponniyin selvan
alai osai

padichi irukken

sgokulprathap
5th June 2006, 05:04 PM
naan padippen gokul

kalki novels

parthiban kanavu
sivagami sabadham
ponniyin selvan
alai osai

padichi irukken

Nice to c this post atleast now. :D

ramky
5th June 2006, 05:17 PM

Appa kooda yaarum Tamil books yellam sollala, except Ramya. :(

1. "47 NaatkaL" - Sivasankari.
2. Jeyakanthanin "Sila nerangallil sila manithargal"
padithirukkiren.

dsath
5th June 2006, 06:05 PM
The best Tamil book i have read is ThiruKural, although i think it would be classified as poetry.

The other Tamil books that i have set my eyes on are
Arthamulla Indu Madham
Silapathikaram (not the original but an adapted version)

ssanjinika
5th June 2006, 11:29 PM
I remember starting off with Eniyd Blyton when I was a kid and progressed on to Nancy Drew and Hardy boys..Later it was agatha christie,Earl Stanley Gardner,Sidney Sheldon,Robin cook,Robert ludlum,Jeffery archer and so on..
Ofcourse inbetween I got hooked on to Romance books which were soo relaxing since it didnt require too much energy to read,was fun and always had a happy ending :D.(Im a sucker for happy endings)
On the comics side I loved Amar chitra kathas,tinkle,Tintin and asterix.Now ive added Calvin and Hobes to the list.I have the entire collection of Tintin,Asterix & C&Hs still working on Amar chitra kathas :)
I can still remember those summer holidays doing nothing but reading books all day long(sigh...).
These days I dont get too much time to read but still do manage to squeeze in some time to read.

VENKIRAJA
10th June 2006, 08:26 PM
my top 5:

1:கலிங்கத்துப்பரணி(செயங்கொண்டார்)only half
2:இது சிறகுகளின் நேரம்(கவிக்கோ அப்துல் ரகுமான்)
3:சுஜாதாவின் படைப்புகள்
4:பாரதியார் கவிதைகள்
5:திருக்குறள்

Alan
10th June 2006, 08:44 PM
I used to love Agatha Christie & Erle Stanley Gardner & Alfred Hitchcock as a teenager.

Alan
10th June 2006, 08:46 PM
I used to love Agatha Christie & Erle Stanley Gardner & Alfred Hitchcock as a teenager.

crazy
11th June 2006, 04:29 PM
I had enjoyed Yann Martel's "Life of Pi" immensely, the winner of Man Booker Prize, 2002!

i read it too, but i dont think i enjoyed it! it was so unbelievable...........god knows whether that was true or?

anyway my fav book

les miserables
uncle toms cabin
the alchemist
AND and DVC
the little prince............(You only see rightly with the heart, what matters is invisible to the eyes, You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" and "It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important".)- so beautiful lines!

falling free
for whom the bell tolls
the god of small things
the roots
mahatma's satya sodhanai

i havent read so many tamil novels or books

my fav among tamils novels and book
sila nerangalail sila manidargal............it was a very beautiful book, i made me think after i read, i heard that it has a continuation or sth............i really want to read it too, but couldnt find, here in oslo library! :cry: :)

thats all i can remember for now!

Alan
12th June 2006, 10:16 PM
Why should it be true? It is not - u will know that if u have read the Epilogue, crazy

Shakthiprabha.
13th June 2006, 09:36 AM
I loved agatha christie too. Almost all of her mysteries are TOO gripping.

I dont remember many books ive read.

I am a fan of sydney sheldon though.

In tamizh I love ponniyin selvan (not read many others seriously)

crazy
13th June 2006, 11:52 AM
Why should it be true? It is not - u will know that if u have read the Epilogue, crazy

yes, but the author somehow says that those who belive , its a true story and for those who dont .........its upto them!