PDA

View Full Version : Ragging in colleges & Schools

Nakeeran
6th June 2006, 07:57 PM
This is another evil being committed by the so called seniors to juniors under the pretext of having FUN :cry:
There are many instances wherein the affected guy becomes mentally retarded or being forced to such an extent that he stops going to college

Several instances are being reported but the practice continues

The worst part being that PARENTS SPEND LAKHS & LAKHS ON THEIR CHILDREN IN PURSUIT OF HIGHER EDUCATION IN PROFESSIONAL INSTITUTIONS BUT TO SEE THEIR CHILDREN BEING DRIVEN TO SUCH DESPAIR IS A SAD CONSEQUENCE

Lets put an end to such nonsense

Surya
6th June 2006, 11:27 PM
When I was in High School, we had this thing called Freshman Firdays. Where we'd knock the freshman into garbage cans! :lol: Fun Times! :P Always had to do it without the authorities finding out though. That was the tough part! Throwing the poor little 13-yr olds into garbage cans was the fun. 8-)

ramky
7th June 2006, 12:43 AM
I recall such an incident which happened so many years ago. One of my close friends had admission in a well known Institue in North India. But the ragging was so bad, esp untolerable in the hostel, that he discontinued the B.E. course and joined a graduation course in Delhi. Over the years, it has not diminished. After the much publicised Sarika Kapoor case in chennai, the Tamil Nadu govt brought some legislation. But reports say that ragging continues unchecked in many colleges, esp those having residential courses.

The Fresher gets ragged by his seniors till the freshers' night, when the seniors and freshers are supposed to become friends.. Sometimes ( manytimes ?) , it goes on even after that. Then the following year, the Fresher of the previous year is now a Senior. He enjoys with glee the ragging of his juniors. So the cycle goes on.

I feel colleges should screen some film / video which graphically depicts the dangers / negative impacts of ragging, to all new students during the Orientation course. Even if the college doesnt have such a course, they can atleast show such a video for say 20mins -30 mins. It will atleast help prevent these freshers from resorting to ragging the following year.

Lambretta
7th June 2006, 03:55 PM
I feel colleges should screen some film / video which graphically depicts the dangers / negative impacts of ragging, to all new students during the Orientation course. Even if the college doesnt have such a course, they can atleast show such a video for say 20mins -30 mins. It will atleast help prevent these freshers from resorting to ragging the following year.
I hav my doubts abt this ramky......knowing the average youth, its also poss for the coin to fall on the other side; ie, such films may even serve as an inspiration/provocation for students to enjoy ragging juniors! :oops: :|

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 04:52 PM
an ultimate ragging .... ;-) which i heard from one of my friends !

taking an ant for a walk with a thread tied to it neck

:rotfl: :lol::rotfl: :lol::rotfl: :lol::rotfl: :lol:

Nakeeran
7th June 2006, 04:56 PM
an ultimate ragging .... ;-) which i heard from one of my friends !

taking an ant for a walk with a thread tied to it neck

:rotfl: :lol::rotfl: :lol::rotfl: :lol::rotfl: :lol:

Ungallukku siripa iruka :twisted:

Thai thagapan kashtapattu uzaithu sambathicha panathula nammai ellam latcha kanakula fees katti serkuranga.

anaa , vivaram theriyadha nama enna seyurom :twisted:
nama seniors kitte enna vanginomo adha thirupi juniors kitte seirom. Idhan mosamana vilaivugal ungalukku eppa puriyum

I have come across 2 instances wherein the affected boy was so upset that he got retarded & it took 2 years to recover. Both were outstanding students but lost their studies & career

Thirundhunga thambigala :cry:

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 05:04 PM
Guys Guys ...easy Nakke !

see when it is done for fun ! thats just fun !
We should know our limits ! Many a times, this ragging stuff is pure fun ........... just to create a bonding !

once we know our limits then there is nothing like that ! infact i dont name that ragging .. thats just a way of having fun together !

Nakeeran
7th June 2006, 05:16 PM
Guys Guys ...easy Nakke !

see when it is done for fun ! thats just fun !
We should know our limits ! Many a times, this ragging stuff is pure fun ........... just to create a bonding !

once we know our limits then there is nothing like that ! infact i dont name that ragging .. thats just a way of having fun together !

BG

Edharkum oru limit undu illaya :cry:

Pl understand that not everyone ( junior students ) take it as a fun

Naan sonna irandu perum they were ragged beyond imagination ( one in Manipal engg & another guy in Srinagar that both have lost their crucial phase of 2 years in studies.

Pona naatkal kidaikuma marubadiyum

Appa amma kashtapattu panam serthu nammai ellam padika vekuranga BG. Not to venture into such trivial fun

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 06:03 PM
Guess lets not take the names of any colleges or institutes !

I understand ur concern Nakke ! but not everybody gets such kind of ragging ! well either not less !

That is wat i mentioned, we shld know our limits ... mela naan mention panninadhu is kind of a fun ! not a ragging at all ! ellarukkum bayam irukkum nakke ... tis not like that nobody is not afraid of ragging !

it shld be a social get togetherness n not vulgure ... which probably has happenned in some cases ! Lets try to STOP those vulgure practices .... the ones which really exceeds the limit ! that would be feasible !

Ghlli
10th June 2006, 02:01 AM
What.....you do that to kids of my age?

if i was there i'd knock u and ur friends into the dustbin! :poke:

When I was in High School, we had this thing called Freshman Firdays. Where we'd knock the freshman into garbage cans! :lol: Fun Times! :P Always had to do it without the authorities finding out though. That was the tough part! Throwing the poor little 13-yr olds into garbage cans was the fun. 8-)

ramky
11th June 2006, 07:30 AM
I hav my doubts abt this ramky......knowing the average youth, its also poss for the coin to fall on the other side; ie, such films may even serve as an inspiration/provocation for students to enjoy ragging juniors! :oops: :|

Lambretta : Could be what you say is true. But I remember during my college days, a short film was shown on the Indian National television network called "HOLI" - incidentally it was AAMIR KHAN's first film. In it he plays a college fresher who commits suicide because of severe ragging in the hostel. Later, while discussing this movie, many of my college mates regretted that they had resorted to severe ragging that year and they were mighty glad that no fresher had committed suicide due to it. ( In North India, the ragging was quite severe or "advanced" even in those days, compared to the South in general and Tamil Nadu in particular. Ragging was severe even in schools at the 10+2 levels ). And the next year, my college mates did not rag any fresher at all ! Thats why I feel that screening such films or documentaries might prevent or atleast reduce excessive form of ragging.

mgb
11th June 2006, 08:16 AM
Hulk.. Your contribution required in this thread..

Hulkster
11th June 2006, 10:49 AM
Ragging can be taken in different aspects by the person ragged...it really depends on the character..if the person is a character who can impose themselves strongly that they do not want to be ragged it might be stopped...If the person is someone who tends to keep quiet and let it go then the chances of being mentally affected is very high.

First thing firsts people who rag are usually very playful in their nature due to them being pampered at home or not getting any affection at home, so they tend to resort to things like ragging to keep themselves entertained or amused. It is like a sort of hobby. However due to them not being able to understand their limits, they tend to overdo it and it results in such acts. Ragging is not a crime...if it is being done in fun as like name calling and in a more polite manner it can be accepted...moreover it is also a culture students identify themselves with. But if ragging is being taken to extremes...it is not ragging..it is incarceration of a particular character...this at times may be done unknowingly or knowingly by the aggressor. There should be a course to both parents and their children on the ways to keep ragging in a fun way and also impose on them the negative effects. This should be implemented all over the country so that students can understand the dangers of doing such things.

This is not just a job for students...its for parents as well...they should be able to instil in their kids the belief and ability to speak out and be imposed so that the effects of such things will be reduced. Hopefully ragging will be taken in a light manner instead of being destroyed fully...because for students this can be a way of like bonding themselves provided they do ragging in a very light hearted way and not violence or doing meaningless acts.

Sanguine Sridhar
11th June 2006, 12:41 PM
In my UG .. They asked me to tell A ..Z in reverse ... I told them so fast that they couldn follow :lol: Next day one of my Porukki Senior(Who was head of the ragging group) was my distance relative ..so they didn toruture me a lot..

In my PG there was no ragging rather they called it as "Intro" They asked me all technical computer oriented questions and if we are unable to answer we have to write the assignments :( They asked me to write code for 'Doubly Linked List' and they took interview for me for more than 3 Hours!! These things happened every day for 2 weeks..Then my seniors became my very good friends!!

Ghlli
11th June 2006, 06:13 PM
hayooooo paavam :rotfl: :cry: :rotfl: :cry: :rotfl:

In my UG .. They asked me to tell A ..Z in reverse ... I told them so fast that they couldn follow :lol: Next day one of my Porukki Senior(Who was head of the ragging group) was my distance relative ..so they didn toruture me a lot..

In my PG there was no ragging rather they called it as "Intro" They asked me all technical computer oriented questions and if we are unable to answer we have to write the assignments :( They asked me to write code for 'Doubly Linked List' and they took interview for me for more than 3 Hours!! These things happened every day for 2 weeks..Then my seniors became my very good friends!!

shalitha
12th June 2006, 04:22 AM
Ragging can be taken in different aspects by the person ragged...it really depends on the character..if the person is a character who can impose themselves strongly that they do not want to be ragged it might be stopped...If the person is someone who tends to keep quiet and let it go then the chances of being mentally affected is very high.

First thing firsts people who rag are usually very playful in their nature due to them being pampered at home or not getting any affection at home, so they tend to resort to things like ragging to keep themselves entertained or amused. It is like a sort of hobby. However due to them not being able to understand their limits, they tend to overdo it and it results in such acts. Ragging is not a crime...if it is being done in fun as like name calling and in a more polite manner it can be accepted...moreover it is also a culture students identify themselves with. But if ragging is being taken to extremes...it is not ragging..it is incarceration of a particular character...this at times may be done unknowingly or knowingly by the aggressor. There should be a course to both parents and their children on the ways to keep ragging in a fun way and also impose on them the negative effects. This should be implemented all over the country so that students can understand the dangers of doing such things.

This is not just a job for students...its for parents as well...they should be able to instil in their kids the belief and ability to speak out and be imposed so that the effects of such things will be reduced. Hopefully ragging will be taken in a light manner instead of being destroyed fully...because for students this can be a way of like bonding themselves provided they do ragging in a very light hearted way and not violence or doing meaningless acts.

Well Said :thumbsup: Hulkster.

shalitha
12th June 2006, 04:39 AM
Sri lankan is also ragging in Universities. 5 yrs ago, Paradeniya Campass student was ragged and he was died. I dont knw how he was died. The police found his body at shore. And police arrested his roommate (he was also doing engineering) but the roommate didnt know anything about his dead and etc. SO roommate couldnt continue his education cause police arrested him. After two years, police released him because he was innocent. Later, rooommate parents didnt let him to continue his studies in University and after he released from jail his parents sent him to overseas. Both spoiled their education. :cry: I dont knw that police found the criminal or not. hope they'd found..

ramky
12th June 2006, 07:58 AM
shalitha : its very distressing to hear that ragging is severe in srilanka also. about 4 years ago, the son of a well known educationist of tamil nadu was murdered in his hostel room, as a consequence to ragging.

Shakthiprabha.
12th June 2006, 01:25 PM
When we were in college, THE MOST DREADFUL task Ive heard as ragging was

to take a guy or girl to BEACH station.......... and in EVERY STATION he or she needs to get down....... run the wholleeeeeeeeeeee length of the station........ till the train reaches TAMBRAM :roll: :(

sad. frustrating. We in our coll did resort to ragging, and we were ragged too, but that was more on fun side, where even the RAGGED OR TARGETTED person enjoys the ragging :)

bingleguy
12th June 2006, 01:42 PM
As i said ... for fun ... .tis ok ... but serious ways ... not accepted !

ramky
12th June 2006, 01:49 PM
vasanth : i agree what someone wrote previously, that mild forms of ragging helps to bond the freshers and seniors. infact in one popular engineering college in Rajasthan, ragging is quite mild and is over by the freshers' nite. but who's to define it - when the ragging is "fun" or "acceptable" and when its "beyond limits" ?

bingleguy
12th June 2006, 01:52 PM
Well Ramky ... that is purely in the hands of the students :( sadly only them !

Coz when the college says they allow ragging ... then can we define rules n points as what is allowed n disallowed :lol: NO !

so it is in the hands of the students to behave ! Infact the ragging term even can be changed ... Just fresher's night would suffice ! But i guess in case ppl dont understand the real meaning of getting along ... better they stop the practice of reacting or ragging ....

ramky
12th June 2006, 04:32 PM
Vasanth, it would be better if they stop holding Freshers' night itself, which is again an Euphemism for ragging. But I dont think it would be possible to do away with Freshers' night altogether. So like you said the students themselves must be made aware of the consequences of severe ragging. Maybe the Indian government can include it as part of the syllabus - say in Social Sciences / Civics subject.

Though students would treat this topic also as similar to the other topics of their curriculum, at least something of what they read would percolate down to their minds and make them think about it. So these students when they become seniors, would think twice before resorting to severe ragging.

Ghlli
12th June 2006, 10:59 PM
my gosh they make you run so long!?! that means in out school teachers do ragging :cry: they make us run 1500m nonstop for athletics :cry:

to take a guy or girl to BEACH station.......... and in EVERY STATION he or she needs to get down....... run the wholleeeeeeeeeeee length of the station........ till the train reaches TAMBRAM :roll: :(

sad. frustrating. We in our coll did resort to ragging, and we were ragged too, but that was more on fun side, where even the RAGGED OR TARGETTED person enjoys the ragging :)

Unicorn
13th June 2006, 01:41 PM
No serious raggin in our Coll..
Thx to good seniors like Tamizhvaanan.. :thumbsup:

bingleguy
13th June 2006, 01:51 PM
Vasanth, it would be better if they stop holding Freshers' night itself, which is again an Euphemism for ragging. But I dont think it would be possible to do away with Freshers' night altogether. So like you said the students themselves must be made aware of the consequences of severe ragging. Maybe the Indian government can include it as part of the syllabus - say in Social Sciences / Civics subject.

Though students would treat this topic also as similar to the other topics of their curriculum, at least something of what they read would percolate down to their minds and make them think about it. So these students when they become seniors, would think twice before resorting to severe ragging.

Ramky, it differs frm place to place .... in our freshers day happ instead of night ... they invited all professors... including HOD n Principal ... they did ragging ofcourse ... but a pretty casual and a jovial one ... they made us run like train in between functions ... made a guy to make his arm a camera and another one to hold flash lite for him .... give roses to senior gals ... (one or two accepted even :lol:

so it depends !

crazy
13th June 2006, 02:00 PM
thank god
i never went to indian colleges :)

mgb
13th June 2006, 02:12 PM

yep.. that reminds me of one of the ragging methods we used... we will choose a fresher to get down at every station and ask him to cry loudly the station name.. say for example GUINDY.. GUINDY.. GUINDY.. GUINDY...
But the same fresher will be taken to a movie or hotel in the afternoon by the seniors at their cost..
Another informal rule we had was, a fresher once ragged will not be ragged again by the same group or the other groups..
But i have always seen freshers will become more closer to the seniors faster than with their own classmates..

Ghlli
14th June 2006, 02:12 AM
I really wana join an indian school...well then college....i think i'd enjoy being ragged if its doing something stupid like what i watch in films :lol:

madhu
14th June 2006, 07:32 AM
ganesh : appo... nan school ponapodhu ella station-leyum pasanga kathikittu irunthadhukku karanam neengathana ?

Badri
14th June 2006, 07:54 AM
Hmm, rather peculiar, the human psyche. We want another person to undergo some sort of suffering, some sort of humiliation, however less or more, before we can "bond" with that person.

A number of Hubbers have repeatedly said how the ragging helped bonding between the Srs and the Jrs but why not bond without this ragging?

Is this nothing but a bestial, primal urge for domination like animals have?

Are we so handicapped to show our affection to another human unless we first establish that we are superior to the hapless young man/woman who has to do our bidding?

And only then, we can show our affection/friendliness towards them?

What a sad state this!

Braandan
14th June 2006, 09:28 AM

Are you from Madras Christian College?
Is mgb from MCC? This looks like traditional MCC ragging..
also reading out notices loudly in EMU trains, inserting "up my.." between words..

mgb
14th June 2006, 09:47 AM
ganesh : appo... nan school ponapodhu ella station-leyum pasanga kathikittu irunthadhukku karanam neengathana ?

pre kgku kudava trainla poninga :lol:

bingleguy
14th June 2006, 11:33 AM
:roll:

Shakthiprabha.
14th June 2006, 12:05 PM
braandan,

I aint from MCC. Dunno bout ganesh though :P

I think probably its MCC's ragging not sure. It sure was the talk of the town those days.

Lambretta
14th June 2006, 03:17 PM
braandan,

I aint from MCC. Dunno bout ganesh though :P

I think probably its MCC's ragging not sure. It sure was the talk of the town those days.
If ne senior who happened to hav CHUBBY cheeks dare ragged our SP akka......ho they'd be done for! :lol: :lol: :rotfl:

bingleguy
14th June 2006, 03:33 PM
avanga hammer mattum dhaan poduvaangannu ninachen :lol: Lamby :lol: :rotfl:

Lambretta
14th June 2006, 03:39 PM
avanga hammer mattum dhaan poduvaangannu ninachen :lol: Lamby :lol: :rotfl:
Athu ethunale-naa inge vanthu kannam killara icons onnume kadayaathu-nu sonnanga....athuku: :hammer:
:lol: :rotfl:

bingleguy
14th June 2006, 04:34 PM
:lol: Kannan killura icon podunga NOV avargale ! :lol: