PDA

View Full Version : receipes for dummies

mona
14th June 2006, 10:22 AM
There are a lot of hubbers like me new to cooking.can anyone help
by posting receipes for people like us. It woud be better to start with simple and east to cook recipes with nutritional values .
thanks in advance

tulipdxb
14th June 2006, 05:38 PM
[tscii:e6bc30c145]Carrot salad

Carrots – 3-4
Lime – 2
Salt to taste
Sugar – a pinch
Coriander leaves, chopped – 3 tablespoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon or as required

Scrape and grate the carrots. Mix lime juice , salt, a pinch of sugar and coriander leaves. Mix well.

Temper with mustard seeds.

[/tscii:e6bc30c145]

Alan
14th June 2006, 09:15 PM
Simple Dal

Dal- 1 cup

Wash Dal very well & boil ( in a Pressure cooker for 4 whistles).

Heat oil in a pan, add mustard or jeera, chopped green chillies, chopped onions & salt- Saute until onion has turned golden brown. Add the boiled dal, 1/2 tsp red chilly powder, a pinch of turmeric powder & 1 cup water- Remove from fire, after it boils.

ssanjinika
14th June 2006, 10:47 PM
variation to Alans recipie would be to add slit green chilis to the dal along with a small piece of ginger cut into tiny bits :).
BTW the dal Im thinking about is payatam paruppu..moong dal I think(the split variety not the whole one )

Alan
14th June 2006, 11:25 PM
Both Yellow Moong dal & Thuvar Dal ( Sambhar dal) can be used , no ssanjinika? I use both- Both taste good with Rotis.

ssanjinika
14th June 2006, 11:32 PM
When I add chilies,I add only moong dal..when adding chilli powder,I use both :).yeah with roties also with rice it tastes awesome.Think this is what im going to make for dinner tonite :P

ssanjinika
14th June 2006, 11:33 PM
When I add chilies,I add only moong dal..when adding chilli powder,I use both :).yeah with roties also with rice it tastes awesome.Think this is what im going to make for dinner tonite :P

tulipdxb
15th June 2006, 11:10 AM
[tscii:ad67267d5f]Sprout chaat

Mung sprouts – 1 cup
Chaat masala – ½ tsp.
Roasted jeera powder- ½ tsp
Lime juice -4 tablespoon
Onion, finely chopped – 1 (optional)
Green chilli, finely chopped – 2(optional)
Coriander leaves, finely chopped – ¼ cup
Salt to taste

Steam the sprouts for 5-10 minutes. Cool, mix with rest of the ingredients. Toss.
[/tscii:ad67267d5f]

tulipdxb
15th June 2006, 11:58 AM
[tscii:bf698b9643]Raita

Tomatoes – 4
Onion – 4
Green chilli as required
Salt to taste
Sugar – ¼ tsp
Yogurt – 2 cup
Coriander leaves, chopped – as required.

Add salt and sugar to the yogurt, mix with a fork. Then mix in the chopped greenchillis, onion and tomato. Refrigerate.

Add coriander leaves just before serving.

Easy Spinach

Spinach- 2 bunch
Garlic – 1 bulb
Cumin seeds- ½ teaspoon
Coriander powder- ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil/ghee – 1 tablespoon

Blanch and puree the spinach. Mix in coriander powder and salt. Boil for 3-4 minutes. Keep aside.

Peel and chop the garlic cloves.

Heat oil/ghee. Put in the jeera, fry for 1-2 seconds, add the chopped garlic, sauté till its brown and crisp.

Add to the spinach mixture. Let it stand for sometime before serving.
[/tscii:bf698b9643]

Alan
15th June 2006, 03:19 PM
Easy Egg Curry-

Boiled eggs- 3
Onions- 3 medium sized
Tomatoes-2 medium sized
Greenchillies- 3 slit lengthwise
Ginger/Garlic Chopped- 1tsp.
Oil- as required.

Redchilli powder-1/2 tsp
Corianderpowder-1 tsp
Turmeric Powder- i pinch
Salt- as required.

Saute chopped onions until golden brown. Add ginger -garlic & greenchillis & saute until the raw smell goes. Add the masala powders & salt, Stir well until the raw smell of masala goes. Add tomatoes. Fry until tomatoes are soft & soggy. Add water according to the required consistency & boil. Stove off. Put the slit boiled eggs in this gravy, some time before serving.

ssanjinika
15th June 2006, 08:08 PM
I always used to have trouble with hardboiled eggs.Either they came out not fully boiled or they broke coz they boiled too much
I saw this on Rachel Rays 30 min cooking show and have followed it to get the Perfect Hard boiled eggs evertime.
Start with cold eggs and cold water.Put them on the stove ,close the pot and allow the water to come to a boil.Once the water starts to boil,
turn off the stove and let the eggs sit for 10 mins.Peel the eggs and there you have it perfect hard boiled eggs.

Alan
16th June 2006, 04:42 PM
Yes, Even I have had problems with boiling eggs- Later, I read a tip about boiling eggs- That it should immersed in cold water, 10 mts after it has been in the boiling water. It works for me.