PDA

View Full Version : Reading order of numbers in Dravidian languages

Lotfi MA
15th June 2006, 11:29 AM
Hello everyone!

I would like to know the reading order of units, tens and hundreds in numbers in terms of which is read first, second and third, e.g: 271; in all dravidian languages: Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam. If this order has been changed in the near past, I wish to know that too.

I would be very grateful to your kind help.

Braandan
16th June 2006, 02:25 PM
In Malayalam it is read as "Iru nootti ezhupatthi onnu".
In Tamil "Iru nootri ezhupatthi ondru". It is always the highest significant digit first like in English, for example for a 4 digit number, first thousands, then hundreds, then tens and then the unit. Languages don't just change in the "near past" for a generation to know. It would take atleast 200 years for a "near past", although when I was studying in 5th standard (1973), we were taught the "typewriter" version of malayalam script which eliminated combined letter-scripts.

Lotfi MA
16th June 2006, 02:45 PM
Thank you very much indeed Braandan!
Regarding change in languages, I know that in Dhivhi (language of Maldives) units were used to be read first, then tens until one or two past decades, but nowadays, the read tens first then units.

You would make me a great vafor Braandan if you could come to know this order for me for Kannad and Telugu as well, or you tel me about other forums through which I could come to it.

Thanks once again.

Braandan
16th June 2006, 04:49 PM
I will find out from my Telugu and Kannada friends and post, or there are many hubbers who know these languages.

Braandan
19th June 2006, 06:52 AM
It is read the same style in Telugu and Kannada, from left to right.
For example in Telugu 271 is "Rendu vandala Dabbai okatti".

Lotfi MA
19th June 2006, 11:42 AM
Dear Raandan,

My deep gratitude to you for your kind assistance.
I wish you the best