PDA

View Full Version : is internet spoiling our reading habit

indian_tamil
13th December 2004, 09:50 PM
I am of the view that Internet is slowly killing our habit of reading
books or anything which requires lot of concentration and time.
Of late I am finding it difficult to read a novel or book. The last
few I read were in flight. It seems with the profileration of
internet we are all getting accustomed to reading news pages
online. Reading online is not easy on eyes and hence not suitable
for books. How many of us have read novels on-line?

What do you guys think?

Querida
14th December 2004, 03:25 AM
i dont think so indian_tamil let me refer you to Surya's "Fav books you have read" you will definitly find an obvious example for the love or reading..even though i do spend time on the net...i still cannot give up my love for reading....just have to find a balance :D

adsort
14th December 2004, 06:50 AM
I disagree with your statement, because of internet our reading habit would increase rather than getting down. In my case I had a routine of reading at least 100 pages of any book any topic on a daily basis, but now I am sure I am readying more than that on a daily basis through internet.

Internet is a gateway for various different topics and all at your finger tips.

Internet - The best invention man ever made

Roshan
14th December 2004, 02:08 PM
Internet - The best invention man ever made

Exactly !!!

I also cannot agree with what indian_tamil had said!!

blasphemy
14th December 2004, 02:13 PM
I also disagree with indian_tamil.

Without the Internet there would be no forums such as this one to discuss topics which concern us most.

Sandeep
14th December 2004, 06:22 PM
I agree with indian_tamil that reading habit has been adversly effected by internet. So has movies and TV

But I dont think it is bad or wrong. They are different mediums competing for our resources and depending on individual needs one will win over the other.

Surya
14th December 2004, 10:51 PM
Not really, the time I spend on the net, is in substitution right now, for the time I used to watch TV. But the net, hasn't affected my reading.

Regards. 8)

Querida
14th December 2004, 11:06 PM
that is so true Surya...my tv time has been reduced to only movies...no sitcoms...though i used to try follow some...(frasier, will and grace, king of queens) could never stand soap operas or dramas :x ...reality shows are soooo low brow :twisted:
though i still do watch cartoons :D it's amazing how many of them have such adult connotations! Watch Jeopardy once in a while Anyways I dont think one interest takes over another...i think you just find a balance...you just need to slowly start again...i know what helps is finding something you really do want to read

Surya
15th December 2004, 06:59 AM
I used to watch 'Friends' and 'Seinfeld' but now, not so much. In tamil seriels, I just watch Shivamayam, and Chitambara Rahasiyam. For Ssathiya's updates, I just ask my mother about kanavarukkaga. :lol: Other than that, I just watch tamil movies in theaters, maybe once every two weeks, and if there's a good movie on Sunday on Sun. But my TV minitues have drastically decreased.

SSathiya
16th December 2004, 10:09 AM
Surya..tell your mom i said "Thanks".... :D ,,I appreciate her updates!!!

SSathiya
16th December 2004, 10:15 AM
You know what guys i watch so many soaps ..my friends alway ask my how i get time to study.Let see...interms of english programs i watch

TV shows:
Smallville, Without a trace, CSI:Miami, Friends, Amazing race
TV soaps:
General Hospital
Bold and the beautiful
Passions

In terms of tamil the soaps i watch :
Metti oli
Anamalai
Kanavarukkaga
Kalki
Edhir Neechal
NilavaiPidipom
Manavi
Anandham
Adugiran Kannan

after writing this list..im wondering how i got this far in university..lol

blahblah
16th December 2004, 05:36 PM
Hi guys,I certainly feel that internet has in some way affected our reading habits.I say this from my own experience.But I can't say this is a bad change as internet is more fast and informative than books. :wink:

blahblah
16th December 2004, 05:38 PM
Hi guys,I certainly feel that internet has in some way affected our reading habits.I say this from my own experience.But I can't say this is a bad change as internet is more fast and informative than books. :wink:

Querida
17th December 2004, 12:48 AM
You know what guys i watch so many soaps ..my friends alway ask my how i get time to study.Let see...interms of english programs i watch

TV shows:
Smallville, Without a trace, CSI:Miami, Friends, Amazing race
TV soaps:
General Hospital
Bold and the beautiful
Passions

In terms of tamil the soaps i watch :
Metti oli
Anamalai
Kanavarukkaga
Kalki
Edhir Neechal
NilavaiPidipom
Manavi
Anandham
Adugiran Kannan

after writing this list..im wondering how i got this far in university..lol

whoa...i guess that depends on what uni u got into :P is brutal where i go.. :(

SSathiya
17th December 2004, 05:28 AM
Querida...........lol
Yeah it does depend on the uni... :lol:
I think because my program is more hands on (Info Tech), and the fact that i enjoy it so much the work doesnt seem to drag me down alot. I mean i do occasionally complain about it...and there are weeks when i just feel like i want to scream at the top of my lugs cause i have so much work.
Actually..i think if i cut down..well i know if i cut down on watching so much tv i could get better grades..but hey im addicted..what can i do... :(

Querida
18th December 2004, 08:18 AM
Hey SSathiya don't worry it's really not that bad of an addiction...you learn something each time you watch don't you? :D

mandangi
16th February 2005, 08:55 PM
In internet also much valuable information is available. I mostly collect information from internet than books.

mandangi
17th February 2005, 07:22 AM
There is no problem with internet. Internet is not waste hub like TV.

Querida
18th February 2005, 08:37 AM
hmmm well i think a balance is needed not one extreme over another...and abandoning books for the net...no way....

mandangi
18th February 2005, 01:17 PM
Some times i too read books. But i mostly find information on internet.