PDA

View Full Version : upmas

Tharuna
19th June 2006, 11:53 AM
does anybody have tasty upma recipes?. rava, semiya or whatever it is.

tulipdxb
19th June 2006, 01:58 PM
regular upma

suji - 1 cup
water- 1 1/2 cup
ghee/oil - 1 tbsp.
sesame oil-2 tbsp.
onion - 4(finely chopped)
green chilli - 2-3, slit
ginger a small piece, chopped
curry leaves-2 sprigs
chana dal- 1 tsp.
urad dal - 1 tsp.
mustard - 1/2 tsp.

fry suji in 2 tb-ghee/oil till golden/aroma comes. keep aside.

heat sesame oil(any cooking oil can be used), but sesame adds to the flavour.

put mustard seeds and when it splutters, add the dals, and when they are brown, add the chopped ginger, onion, curry leaves, and slit green chilli. saute for 2 minutes.

add 1 1/2 cup water and salt. when it boils, add 1 tsp. oil and the suji and stir continuously. cook till its dry.

bingleguy
19th June 2006, 04:16 PM
I love Puli Uppumaa !

tulipdxb
19th June 2006, 04:54 PM
this site has a few upma recipes

http://www.syvum.com/recipes/ivrindex.html

cynthia_a02
19th June 2006, 10:14 PM
dear Tharuna,
I'm having a collection of around 30 upma receipes pub by aval vikatan.If u want i'll post it one by one.bye.

sowmeia
20th June 2006, 12:33 AM
Hi Cynthia

can u pls post these recipes?

Thanks

dev
20th June 2006, 12:54 AM
I love Puli Uppumaa !

BG, vendaam... neenga yerkanave arai puli kulambai pathi sollitu kaanamal poiteenga(in tanjavur reecipes)...naan innum athuku recipe thedikittu iruken...ippo puli upma veraya!!!... muthalla arai puli kulambu recipe-aa post pannunga... :evil:

Tharuna
20th June 2006, 10:53 AM
hi,
thanx to tulipdxb and Cynthia. i will be very much grateful if Cynthia can send the recipes from aval vikatan. am also expecting some variation in upma varieties to make it more tastier like adding vegetables,flavours etc. upma is a dish which is easy to make but hated by husbands. i found many of my friends complaining that their husbands always said 'no' to upmas. i thought i could get some recipes to make upmas more 'hubby acceptable'.

tulipdxb
20th June 2006, 11:01 AM
Hi Tharuna

u can add veggies like cabbage, cauliflower, french beans, carrot, peas, potato , beetroot tomato etc. , which have to be sauteed first before adding water.

also, add a pinch of turmeric powder can be added to the water when it boils.

:)

cynthia_a02
20th June 2006, 07:17 PM
Dear Tharuna,
I'll post it one by one.

PEPPER - JEERA IDLY UPMA :

Idli - 6
Pepper - 1 teaspoon
Cumin/jeera - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
For seasoning :
Mustard seeds - 1/2 t.s.
curry leaves - few
oil.

Make a coarse powder of pepper and cumin seeds.Heat oil.Put the mustard seeds and curry leaves and when the mustard start spluttering add the idlies(cut them into small pieces) and pepper-cumin poder and salt and mix well.Serve hot.

CHILLY SEMIYA :

Thin semiya - 1 cup
Onion - 1
Tomato - 1
Chilly powder - t spoon
Curry leaves
Salt - to taste

For seasoning :
Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
Urad dhall - 1 spoon,
fennel powder - 1/4 spoon
oil.

Slice the onion and tomato lengthwise.Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds,urad dhall and fennel seeds.when the mustard seeds spluter add onions and salt and fry the onions well.Then add tomatoes and chilly powder and fry them till the tomatoes are mashed well.Add one and a half cup water.When the water begins to boil add semiya.Cook till the semiya is cooked well.

Thattai
22nd June 2006, 10:06 AM
Hi Tharuna,

This is more like a khichidi types, but because it uses lapsi rava we call it an upma. I don't use any particular quantities, except for the proportion of rava:water which is 1:2. The method is as follows:

Lapsi Rava Upma

Grind a handful of corriander, couple of chillies, ginger, garlic (optional) and salt to a paste.

Fry the lapsi rava if desired. Reserve. Heat oil in a cooker. Add pattai, lavang. When they burst, add finely sliced onion and saute until golden brown. Add some ginger garlic paste and fry well. Add chopped tomatoes and fry well. Add assorted chopped veggies (carrots/beans/potatoes/cauliflower/peas etc). Fry well. Add the (washed) rava and as much of the ground paste as desired. Add salt to taste. Add the required quantity of water and pressure cook for 2-3 seeties (like you would for rice).

When the cooker cools down, open it and sprinkle some lemon juice on the upma. Mix well and serve hot garnished with chopped corriander. If desired can add some ghee on top before eating.

This upma does not require any side dish as it is quite flavourful on it's own as well. You can also add some pudhina leaves while frying the veggies for some additional flavour.

bingleguy
22nd June 2006, 10:48 AM
I love Puli Uppumaa !

BG, vendaam... neenga yerkanave arai puli kulambai pathi sollitu kaanamal poiteenga(in tanjavur reecipes)...naan innum athuku recipe thedikittu iruken...ippo puli upma veraya!!!... muthalla arai puli kulambu recipe-aa post pannunga... :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: idhu dhaan unga kobathukku kaaranamaa ? seri seri ... neenga inga vareenga illa ... appo ungalukku samaiche kodukkiren ;-) dont worry

dev
22nd June 2006, 11:01 AM
I love Puli Uppumaa !

:lol: :lol: :lol: idhu dhaan unga kobathukku kaaranamaa ? seri seri ... neenga inga vareenga illa ... appo ungalukku samaiche kodukkiren ;-) dont worry

:D ... ok ok...Bg-na BG thaan... :wink:

But recipe-aa kudutheengana innum santhosa paduven... :)

bingleguy
22nd June 2006, 11:37 AM
sure !

but actually someobody else had also given the receipe for Arai Puli kuzhambu, if i remember correctly ! ;-) appuram naan vera edhukku thaniyaa tharanum :P

Dev, unga PM check pannunga !

dev
22nd June 2006, 11:56 AM
sure !

but actually someobody else had also given the receipe for Arai Puli kuzhambu, if i remember correctly ! ;-) appuram naan vera edhukku thaniyaa tharanum :P

Dev, unga PM check pannunga !

Ilali, I only saw recipes for iru puli kulambu...

I've replied to ur PM...:)

Alan
22nd June 2006, 12:12 PM
What is Lapsi Rawa?