PDA

View Full Version : gravy with coconut milk

SmileAlways
23rd June 2006, 11:40 AM
Hi all

I intend to make a subji with potatoes,cauliflower in cocnut milk.

I have a bsaic recipe with me. Fry onions and ginger garlic paste, along with the reqd maslas. Blanch Cauliflower and paraboil the potatoes. Add this to the onion misture.
At this juncture, I plan to add cocnut milk and simmer the gravy until it thickens.

I need to know if I can add the cocnut milk this way...and thicken it?? Is it ok if it boils?? Would tht spoil its taste? Also plan on adding powdered cashewnuts for added flavour. What else can I add for thickening??

ur advice is welcome

bingleguy
23rd June 2006, 11:50 AM
i feel when u subject coconut milk to little over heat ... then it spoils the taste ..... it may be added during the final stage !

pavalamani pragasam
23rd June 2006, 11:51 AM
entha oor Central Jail? :shock: :wink:

Add powdered pottukadalai or cornflour for thickening.

SmileAlways
23rd June 2006, 12:00 PM
Hi
Thanx for the quick reply.
Maybe I can add the veggies and masalas and saute it...until they havea fried appearance. add cocnut milk at this stage. Simmer and take it off the stove.

Bg @ Have u tried this kind of gravy before??

PP@ am at the central jail at bangalorE!!

dev
23rd June 2006, 12:02 PM
gravy using coconut milk... I have never tried my hands at it but have seen some of my friends make it... They don't let it boil... they add a thick extract of coconut milk towards the end & cook on a low flame just until it gets heated up thorough/starts simmering... But I've heard that one can add thin extract of coconut milk 1/2 way through & then thick extract towards the end of the cooking process...

pavalamani pragasam
23rd June 2006, 03:26 PM
SmileAlways, I like your sense of humour! "muttai kuzambu" done in coconut milk is very yummmmmy! So also with green peas, butter beans, cauliflower separately. Our family's thickening agent is pottukadalai powder.
Chopped small onion slightly browned, coconut milk added, a pinch of turmeric powder, salt, chilli powder, jeera powder added. If vegetables added at this stage, pressure cooked, added thickening powder and removed. Boiled eggs slightly slit in the middle may be added for muttai kuzambu at the end of the cooking the gravy. Very quick, easy, tasty, nutritious!

bingleguy
23rd June 2006, 03:31 PM
Not a similar kind of Gravy smile !

SmileAlways
23rd June 2006, 03:43 PM
PP@ thanx for the post. However I am a veggie...but guess can use ur recipe ommitting the egg part.

Had planned to do the coconut milk gravy for dinner tonite....only to get a call from hubby saying he has tummy troubles!! Guess tht cans my plans until the weekend :-(