PDA

View Full Version : learning difficulties

suma
25th June 2006, 07:32 PM
Hi all, any opinions/views on parenting children with learning difficulties?

rajraj
25th June 2006, 07:38 PM
suma: If you live in the US, there is a lot of help. American schools deal with these children under 'Special Education'. First, the child is tested for skill levels by a school psychologist. If the tests confirm that the child has learning difficulties,the child is treated differently in the school.
May be, you are aware of all these. The school psychologist should be able to offer more about parenting such a child.

Anoushka
25th June 2006, 11:45 PM
I think it is the same in Europe.

I know there is a school in Madras for special children.

rocketboy
26th June 2006, 09:40 AM
If you live in chennai, contact Spastics Society of India.

No.1, Ranjit Rd, Kotturpuram, Chennai - 85
Tel : 0091 - 44 - 235 4784 / 235 4785 / 235 4980
Tele / Fax : 0091 - 44 - 235 3757
Email :enable@md2.vsnl.net.in

rajraj
26th June 2006, 09:50 AM

Aunty visited that school when we were in Madras and was impressed. She is thinking of helping them with books and testing kit. We need more of them in India.

suma
26th June 2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info. But as I mentioned I wanted tips from other parents not schools or other authorities. Like how to deal with their anger, managing time etc. I would be very grateful if parents share their experiences with me.

suma
26th June 2006, 10:33 AM
I suppose I have to tell a little about my daugther to get this topic started. She is about 12 years old and is getting professionsl help. But she hates it when given instructions or explanation about a word or talked about some basic logic. Managing my daughter's anger is the most difficult thing.

rajraj
26th June 2006, 11:31 AM
suma: Did you visit this website?

http://www.ldonline.org/

suma
26th June 2006, 04:40 PM
Yes, I did visit that site. but in addition to that I want to hear from other parents about their experience with their children.

Anoushka
26th June 2006, 05:33 PM

Aunty visited that school when we were in Madras and was impressed. She is thinking of helping them with books and testing kit. We need more of them in India.

Raj: One of appa's friends was the principal of the school and that is how I heard about the school. We surely need more of them in India.

Three years ago when I volunteered for Special Olympics world games, I was with the Indian team and I realised that special children are treated differently in India compared to other countries...

Anoushka
26th June 2006, 06:38 PM
Suma: Where are you located?

rajraj
26th June 2006, 06:49 PM
......... and I realised that special children are treated differently in India compared to other countries...

'Special children' are simply neglected in India. There is no government funding to do all the testing to identify their needs. Schools do not have a special section for them. In the US some parents want even normal children in special ed. program ! They like the additional attention given so that they don't have to do much at home! :(

Anoushka
26th June 2006, 07:52 PM
Raj: From my own experiences, there is no government funding at all.. when we spend so much money on cricketers, the special children seem to be neglected. One of my athletes had to pull out of the games in the last minute because he couldn't afford to pay for the ticket!

If this is on one side, the people that work for organisations like Special Olympics seem to demand more attention than the special needs children themselves! There seems to be so much of politics going on even there...

And to add to this, the coaches don't seem to be trained enough to handle the children in the right way... :(

dsath
26th June 2006, 08:12 PM
There is a Special Needs Education Teacher allocated by the government in Tamilnadu for govt schools. But they don't do anything effective. All they do is come once a month and sign in the records and go home.
Suma: I don't know learning difficulties in general, but i know that pictures are now used to communicate with children on the Autistic Spectrum. They have a picture timetable instead of a verbal one and some seem to respond more to pictures rather than humans.
So may be you can talk to her via pictures.
I was doing some volunteer work at my son's playschool sometime back and learnt something abt it.
Have you tried distraction when the child is very angry with something that she likes.
One other thing is the sticker chart. If the child is doing some tasks that is required for a certain period, then u can award a stciker. After accumulating some stickers, it can be used as a special treat (which can be food or the activity that the child likes the best).
This is supposed to improve good behaviour in children.
The schools here encourage the sticker chart for all children (with or without learning difficulties) and many TV programs regarding parenting skills in general recommend the sticker chart.

suma
27th June 2006, 01:39 PM
Yes, I have been doing sticker charts and other methods which i have been doing with the help of a professional. I just want to hear from other parents about their day to day activities so that I will know where I stand.

Anoushka
27th June 2006, 01:40 PM
Suma, if you send me a pm with your location (if you don't want to mention it here), then maybe I can help you through the special olympics network :)

suma
2nd July 2006, 12:57 AM
Hi Anoushka, Like I said before, I dont really need professional help since I am already getting it. I want to hear from other parents . The reasonis that many times what I hear from the professional is different from what I hear from parents.
This includes the kids food habits, management their time, anger even friends. Making

Anoushka
2nd July 2006, 02:34 AM
Suma, when I said Special Olympics network I meant parents not professionals... We have special children and their parents in the network... most of us that work for special olympics are volunteers and some volunteers are actually parents of special children. So do think about it and let me know....

suma
6th July 2006, 10:13 AM
can u give me some more info on that Special Olympics network, Anoushka? Like in what way can I get help from it thru this thread ?

Anoushka
6th July 2006, 01:13 PM
Suma - Special Olympics is an organisation that is involved in sports exclusively for special children. It originally started in US and now nearly all the countries in the world participate in Special Olympics program.

It is a way of bringing special people together (there is no age limit to participate). From what I know, special children/people are constantly trained (it is a way of channelising their energy) through out the year/life.

The best part of the network is that it brings special people, their families and people who want to help them together!

In India the contact in Chennai would be Mr. Nagarajan a.k.a John. I have his email id if you want.

Once you get in touch with the network, you get to meet other parents and coaches and share ideas and stories.

http://www.specialolympics.org/Special+Olympics+Public+Website/default.htm

I noticed this link on the website as well
http://www.specialolympics.org/Special+Olympics+Public+Website/English/Press_Room/Global_news/Special+Olympics+Bharat+Recognition.htm

http://www.specialolympicsbharat.org/ - should give you some details...

As I said, if you are intersted, do let me know where you are and I can give you contacts details based on that.

suma
8th July 2006, 06:40 PM
thanks a tonne for that info Anoushka. I will go thru that site and let u know if I need more help.

Anoushka
9th July 2006, 02:38 AM
You are welcome Suma, hope that was of some help :)

suma
12th July 2006, 08:39 PM
It was , anoushka. But couldn't find much info on behaviour and things like that. But this site www.schwablearning.org gives info on all that.

suma
12th July 2006, 08:40 PM
The name of this site appears at the bottom of this topic

Anoushka
13th July 2006, 02:41 PM
Suma: The site link that I gave does not have any info on behaviour, but might give you contact details of the local Special Olympics, if you get in touch with them, you will get info about parents in your area with special children! You can get in touch with them for more info... I thought that is what you wanted... correct me if I am wrong :)

suma
14th July 2006, 07:52 PM
ur right. no info on other problems but only contact details about sports for such children.

Anoushka
14th July 2006, 07:56 PM
Were you able to get in touch with anyone Suma?

suma
15th July 2006, 10:14 AM
no, anu, nobody. Actually i am a little busy at home. So I dont get enough time to spend on the internet. Just waiting for things to settle at home so that I can get actively involved with the 'connecting up'. anyway thanks for taking so much interest in this thread

Anoushka
16th July 2006, 06:00 PM
You are welcome Suma :)

suma
17th July 2006, 09:31 AM
Hi anu(if its OK to call u that way). I am going on a vacation to Kenya with family from the 20th till the 26th. Hope to get some more information on my return. See ya after 26th.

Anoushka
17th July 2006, 04:13 PM
Hi Suma, enjoy your trip to Kenya, have a safe journey :) Sure get in touch with me when you come back :)