PDA

View Full Version : Sankalpam lines outside India

Braandan
4th July 2006, 08:37 AM
When one is in India we use the words "Jambu Dweepe Bharatha Varshe meror dakshine Paars've" in the Sankalpam for poojas, meaning we are in India in the south side of the Vindhya mountains (may be). What should be substituted if we are outside India? For example Australia. Will the USA hubbers who do Poojas at home enlighten please?

bingleguy
4th July 2006, 09:31 AM
Is Panchangam written based on places .... :roll:

Braandan
5th July 2006, 06:06 AM
Panchangam can be adapted according to places. Most timings given in Panchangam (start and end of Nakshatram and thithi) are based on the rising time of the sun, at any given place. For example if it is written 40 nazhikas avittam today, it means 40 nazhikas from time of sun-rise. If you know the the time of sun-rise at that place then you can find the time (1 nazhika = 24 minutes of our usual clock)

Badri
5th July 2006, 07:54 AM
Braandan,

In fact, I am also concerned about the Maasa and Rithu

In India it is probably Vasantha or Greeshma, but in Australia, it is hemanta or shishira....

In India again the month is Ashada, for us in Australia, it is Magha or Phalguna, isnt it?

How do you make your sankalpa now?

In your query, you only had doubts about the place, here I have added confusion about time as well! :)

Braandan
5th July 2006, 10:37 AM
Badri,
The maasa does not change in Australia. But the Rithu does change because it is a southern hemisphere country. Simply translate as Spring-Vasantham,Summer-Greeshmam,Autumn-Hemantam and Winter-Shishiram. So it shishiram now in Australia. As Maasa is not dependant on Ritu, Maasa stays independant. Uthara and Dakshina ayana also remain the same.

Braandan
5th July 2006, 10:40 AM
Another thing: In Hindu astrology, day always starts at sunrise not at 12 midnight! For example I was born on 21st Dec 1963 at 4:25 am early morning which is Saturday as per Western Calender, but still Friday as per Hindu Astrology as the sun has not risen at Chennai on Saturday at 4:25 am.

Badri
5th July 2006, 11:07 AM
Badri,
The maasa does not change in Australia. But the Rithu does change because it is a southern hemisphere country. Simply translate as Spring-Vasantham,Summer-Greeshmam,Autumn-Hemantam and Winter-Shishiram. So it shishiram now in Australia. As Maasa is not dependant on Ritu, Maasa stays independant. Uthara and Dakshina ayana also remain the same.

I am not convinced Uttarayana and Daskshinayana remain the same. :roll:

Braandan
5th July 2006, 01:56 PM
Badri
Uttara Ayana is when the sun moves from tropic of capricorn to the tropic of cancer (towards north)- No change in Australia (sun is still moving north - only things become cooler in Australia).. Dakshina ayana is when the sun moves from tropic of cancer to tropic of capricorn (towards south) - No change in Australia (sun is still moving south -things become warmer as Australia is near to tropic of capricorn). Sankalpa line is the same for Australia for ayana.

Badri
6th July 2006, 06:13 AM
Oh thank god for that! I thought even that would be cause for concern! So because this doesnt change, I suppose Maasa doesnt change, only rithu changes!

Braandan
6th July 2006, 07:35 AM
Maasa does not change, except for the starting and ending of the
maasa which would be 4 and a half hours ahead of India (in case of Sydney)
You must take care of that if you are doing poojas during any samkrama time.
For example Vishu samkrama (Mesha samkrama) for Mallus (when sun enters the Aries raasi) or
Makara Samkrama (when the sun enters the Capricorn raasi -Makara jyothi at Sabarimalai),
if it is marked 5:00 am in the Panchanga then it should be taken at 5:00 am local sydney time,
which is 4.30 hrs before to India (take care of daylight saving time also accordingly).

don't want to make it complicated for you, anyway!

Badri
6th July 2006, 08:21 AM
That I suppose can be calculated based on Sunrise time anyway, for all of this is determined by sunrise. One can calculate how many nazhigais before/after sunrise

podalangai
9th July 2006, 04:22 AM
When one is in India we use the words "Jambu Dweepe Bharatha Varshe meror dakshine Paars've" in the Sankalpam for poojas, meaning we are in India in the south side of the Vindhya mountains (may be). What should be substituted if we are outside India? For example Australia. Will the USA hubbers who do Poojas at home enlighten please?
For England I say "Shwetadweepe Angilavarshe". On one internet discussion list, it was mentioned that the USA was "Kraunchadweepe Ramanavarshe", but others disputed it so different paddaddis probably have different versions. Ask your family's vaadhiyaar what it is for your paddaddi.

As far as I have seen, most people just say "Jambudweepe Bharatavarshe" regardless of where they are. :roll: I think they follow the principle of Samjho vahin hamen bhi dil ho jahan hamara (which in my case would be somewhere near the Andromeda galaxy).

Braandan
9th July 2006, 08:26 AM
That may even mean beyond Andromeda and include the whole universe. Some told me that as MahaVishnu as Vaamana has measured the whole universe, standing in Bharatavarsha, I can repeat Bharatavarsha anywhere. Thanks to Podalangai (incidently it is a favourite vegetable for me) and Badri for their valuable inputs. Still soliciting comments.