PDA

View Full Version : Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

rain
17th December 2005, 02:53 AM
hi,

i have this white down jacket and the shell is polyster material.it is smudged in many places esp.sleeves and front side in black dirt stains. machine wash and spot cleaning with wash liquid has hardly removed it. can anyone please suggest a remedy? it is such a nice one but becoz of the stains i may have to discard it :( . so any input will be welcome.

regards,
rain

rsankar
18th December 2005, 04:24 AM
Hello,

Can someone tell me this.

Can we give foods, perpare with vinegar, for 3 years old baby?

Thanks
rsankar.

rsankar
19th December 2005, 02:46 PM
Hello tfmlover,

It's balsamic vinegar.

Thanks for your reply.

rsankar

rain
20th December 2005, 09:26 AM
hi tfmlover,

i checked the tag on the jacket and it says not to be dry cleaned.thanks anyway.i will see if there is any house hold remedy to clean the stains.

regards,
rain

orange2005
26th December 2005, 05:09 AM
Hi,

I am in the market for buying a cookware set.I was planning to buy a non- stick set (faberware).But I have been reading lately about the health hazards associated with using non stick cookware.

I really am in need of utensils to use for my day to day cooking.Do you think I should go ahead and buy the non stick cookware or maybe look at the stainless steel utensils that we get here.Does anybody know of any risks involved in using non-stick utensils for cooking indian food.(sambar,rasam)and storing.

what do most of you use at home?
thanks

dev
26th December 2005, 07:32 AM
I prefer stainless steel & cast iron utensils... But I do have a non-stick pan which I used to make dishes which consume more oil otherwise...like ladies finger etc... If U can get good cast iron utensils & season it well, it's as good as nonstick utensils...

RedPepper
26th December 2005, 08:57 AM
I too use stainless steel & cast iron cookwares. Glass & ceramic for baking. Well seasoned cast iron pans work same as non-stick pans. Non-stick pans should not be used on high-heat. You can use it for light cooking like scrambling eggs etc. I don't recommend buying a complete set of nonstick cookwares. I would suggest buying heavy bottomed stainlesss steel vessels for cooking rice, curries etc., cast iron pans for deep frying and stir frying needs(see if you can get pre-seasoned pans, then it will be easy for you), and you can buy one or two nonstick pans too.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/es.php

orange2005
26th December 2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks dev and red pepper for the suggestions.

mss
28th December 2005, 06:47 AM
Hi,
A few years back I tasted butter biscuits from VB Bakery in Bangalore. Very tasty not very salty but with a slight tinge of sweetness. Could someone please give me the recipe for that. Thanks.

pinkdawn
3rd January 2006, 04:49 PM
Hi group,

Has anyone here tried avial in microwave? My idea is restoring the vitamin contents of the vegetables we use in avial?

Is any one succesful??

Pinkdawn

dev
3rd January 2006, 06:05 PM
"restoring the vitamin contents of the vegetables we use in avial? "

Hi pinkdawn,

could u pls explain the above stmt?...

pinkdawn
4th January 2006, 12:55 PM
"restoring the vitamin contents of the vegetables we use in avial? "

Hi pinkdawn,

could u pls explain the above stmt?...

Dev,

Avial is a kerala dish and lots of vegetables are used. I think when we cook food in MW the nutrient value is not lost (atleast thatz what MW ads say, ofcourse, I have not personally taken any food to lab to test how much is lost or how much is stored). So, I feel basically we need to add less water or sprinkle some water when we cook food using MW (again depends of recipe) . That is the reason why am hunting for MW avial recipe.

I hope I cleared/answered /explained your query/doubt, if you are still unclear please forgive my inability to explain things.

dev
4th January 2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks pinkdawn... I thought the avial recipes use veggies cooked in lots of water & drained & that's Y U wanted to use the MW to preserve nutients(Since u said 'restoring the nutis',I got confused. Tht's Y I asked the prev que... No offence intended...)

As far as I know, if U can cook veggies till the water dries out(ie no draining of water)or steam cook, nutrients wouldn't be lost much... also it's better to slow cook & cook vegs until 3/4th done...

As for MW, I use it only for emergency cooking & reheating... This is after I read articles abt the hazards of MW cooking... also, felt tht fast cooking at very high temp in MW doesn't give the same taste as traditional cooking on the stove top... generally, most traditional recipes can be used for MW cooking as well..just reduce the spices & salt a bit...

pinkdawn
4th January 2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks pinkdawn... I thought the avial recipes use veggies cooked in lots of water & drained & that's Y U wanted to use the MW to preserve nutients(Since u said 'restoring the nutis',I got confused. Tht's Y I asked the prev que... No offence intended...)

As far as I know, if U can cook veggies till the water dries out(ie no draining of water)or steam cook, nutrients wouldn't be lost much... also it's better to slow cook & cook vegs until 3/4th done...

As for MW, I use it only for emergency cooking & reheating... This is after I read articles abt the hazards of MW cooking... also, felt tht fast cooking at very high temp in MW doesn't give the same taste as traditional cooking on the stove top... generally, most traditional recipes can be used for MW cooking as well..just reduce the spices & salt a bit...

Dev,

Thanks for the reply. No..... water used for avial is not drained out.

Would you mind sharing the hazards ......of MW cooking??? whats that????

dev
4th January 2006, 11:17 PM
Here r a few links...
http://www.health-science.com/microwave_hazards.html
http://www.willthomas.net/Convergence/Weekly/Microwave_Cooking_Hazards.htm
http://omega.twoday.net/stories/209635/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven
Just Google for more info...

tomato
8th January 2006, 02:33 PM
Anyone knows where I can buy 'matka kulfi' in singapore? Or atleast where I can buy the small earthen pots (matka) to make this kulfi. The recipe was shown on Sanjeev Kapoor's show 'Khana Khazana'.

dev
8th January 2006, 02:47 PM
tomato,

Did U try in Jothi stores pushpa kadai?... they might be having it...

tomato
8th January 2006, 03:11 PM
Thanx dev, I guess Jyothi's will have matka and not the kulfi........ Kulfi would have ben better though........anyway thanx........

dev
8th January 2006, 10:06 PM
Oops...Since U've written U saw the recipe, I thought U r making the kulfi & U just wanted to get the pots... Sry...

Seethab
11th January 2006, 07:40 AM
Hi friends:

Can anyone living in the US tell me where to buy a sevai or idiappam press?

TIA

Seetha

rain
13th January 2006, 02:07 AM
hi seetha,

did u check with ur local indian grocers?sometimes they keep utensils.they might also get it for you if u place an order.i know the big grocers like the patel brothers do it.

regards,

RedPepper
13th January 2006, 05:24 AM
Yes Seetha, I too got mine at our local indian grocery store.

RedPepper
13th January 2006, 05:25 AM
If anybody has a HAWKINS STAINLESS STEEL pressure cooker, please PM me. I need to clear a doubt. Thank you.

Inimai
17th January 2006, 10:20 PM
Hi,

Can anyone living in the US tell me where to buy (Sotru katrazai) aloe vera plant/leaf/gel ? I'm in Dallas-Texas.

I have seen this plant's leaf in some grocery store. But i forgot where.

Inimai.

RedPepper
17th January 2006, 11:59 PM
Hi,

Can anyone living in the US tell me where to buy (Sotru katrazai) aloe vera plant/leaf/gel ? I'm in Dallas-Texas.

I have seen this plant's leaf in some grocery store. But i forgot where.

Inimai.

I remember seeing this in Home Depot (in the section where they have african violet, cactus etc..)

dev
18th January 2006, 02:52 PM
Hi,

Can anyone pls post a recipe for sambar powder in gms measure. Most recipes say a cup or fistful etc & they don't turn our good when I use the standard cup(225ml) measure & my fist measure...

RedPepper
18th January 2006, 07:12 PM
Hi,

Can anyone pls post a recipe for sambar powder in gms measure. Most recipes say a cup or fistful etc & they don't turn our good when I use the standard cup(225ml) measure & my fist measure...

Have you tried Hemantji's recipe? Not in grams though, but he doesn't say in fistfuls!!
Amazed to see that you are looking for recipe in gms. I always have hard times with gms measurements...I look for cups and spoons measurements.. How do you measure gms? Do you have a kitchen scale?

dev
18th January 2006, 07:23 PM
I do have a kitchen weiging scale... I usually get confused with the cup/spoon measures... I've prepared Mrs.Mano's sambar powder today... Will give a try to r.Hemath's recipe too...

dev
19th January 2006, 06:49 AM
Mrs.Mano's sambar turned out good... :)

Inimai
19th January 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks RedPepper! I'll give a try.

I remember seeing this in Home Depot (in the section where they

have african violet, cactus etc..)

RedPepper
20th January 2006, 03:36 AM
Dev, this is the continuation of what I was saying in the Tamilnadu delicacies thread. Please check my recipe of chicken if you have time. http://myworksh0p.blogspot.com/2006/01/chicken-curry.html
The gravy of chicken turned out to be too dry when it cooled down. The color turned darker as well. Is that the way it supposed to be when we grind the masala?

dev
20th January 2006, 07:43 AM
I have not had the problem of the color turning darker... But the gravy does become a bit dry when it cools down...

U can try using milk/curd(coconut milk,if U rn't very diet conscious) towards the end of cooking to get more gravy... When I use milk, I usually boil it for sometime until it thickens a bit coz I normally use low-fat milk... My general rule is tht I use milk in recipes tht call for coconut & curd is used in mushroom curries etc... Another tip is to add 4-5 cashew nuts while grinding the masala... 2-3 cashews can be safely taken by any healthy human... it's only when it's consumed in large quantities(say a handful a day) it becomes a health hazard... For veg gravies, I add roasted channa dhal powder or grind it along with the masala...

These r all the tips I know of to make gravied dishes... Hope this helps...

cynthia_a02
20th January 2006, 08:27 PM
hai,
i tried Mrs.Mano's soya chumks receipe.its very very nice.
i'm having a 1 yr old boy and can u give some delicious and strengthy receipe.i'm giving Mrs.Mano's sathumavoo to him.he likes it very much.can u suggest some more receipe like that.i need some receipe using salt bread.thanks in advance.

Surya
24th January 2006, 06:31 AM
Kothu Parotta...I know that someone has written about this somewhere...but I don't know where it is.

I need the recipe for Kothu Parotta Please! :D

Surya
24th January 2006, 07:29 AM
Thanks dev! :D

dev
24th January 2006, 07:30 AM
Hey Surya, I couldn't find it there...sry...

dev
24th January 2006, 07:32 AM
Surya,

Herez the link for the recipe...
http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=98575&highlight=kothu+parota#98575

From an old post:

"This is the one in Mrs Manos recipe collection .Give it a try and it will be delicious .
KOTHU PAROTTA:
Heat a dosa plate and pour some oil. Add 2 chopped onions, 2 chopped green chillies and 2 chopped tomatoes. Mix well and fry for some time. Break 2 eggs and pour on the vegetables. Mix well. Crush 2 parottas into timy pieces and add to the masala. Sprinkle 1/2sp chilli powder, 1/2sp jeera powder and 1/2sp pepper powder and enough salt. With two dosa karandis, you must smash these ingredients into pieces using force with yr hands. Mix well. Add chopped coriander. Put off the fire. "

Surya
24th January 2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks a million dev! :D

PS: Ur 1 post away from a 1000. :P

dev
24th January 2006, 07:36 AM
PS: Ur 1 post away from a 1000. :P

Never noticed it Surya...I'll make my 1000th post replying to ur msg...:)

cynthia_a02
25th January 2006, 06:59 AM
hello Mrs.Mano,
i'm a new hubber.i need some tasty and healthy receipes for my 1yr. old boy.thanks in advance.

orange2005
26th January 2006, 03:09 AM
HI all,

Does anybody know the recipe for mango pudding using mango pulp.

thanks

rain
1st February 2006, 10:49 PM
hi all,

recently we got bottles of til(sesame) oil.since it's not our everyday medium for cooking we r afraid they might go stale.can anyone suggest if it's advisable to keep the oil in the fridge till the next use? please let me know.thanks in advance.

regards,

rain

RedPepper
2nd February 2006, 05:38 AM
[tscii:bf4a8640c6]
hi all,

recently we got bottles of til(sesame) oil.since it's not our everyday medium for cooking we r afraid they might go stale.can anyone suggest if it's advisable to keep the oil in the fridge till the next use? please let me know.thanks in advance.

regards,

rain

Looks like sesame oil doesn't stay fresh for that long according to the info I found at http://www.ochef.com/64.htm

Different oils stay fresh for different amounts of time, but you must treat them all well. They should be tightly covered and stored in the dark away from the heat (especially not in that handy cupboard over the stove). The less access they have to the air, the fresher they will stay. Refrigeration benefits most oils.

If unopened, peanut oil and corn and other vegetable oils will keep for at least a year. Once opened, they’re good for four to six months. But peanut oil, like olive oil, which is high in monounsaturates, benefits more from storage in the refrigerator. Olive oil will keep for about 6 months in the cool, dark pantry, but up to a year in the refrigerator. It may become cloudy and thicken up in the cold, in which case, letting it warm to room temperature will restore its pouring capacity. Walnut oil and sesame oil are delicate and inclined toward turning rancid. Kept in the refrigerator, they will stay fresh for two to four months. [/tscii:bf4a8640c6]

Hope this helps.

rain
3rd February 2006, 04:44 AM
thanks, redpepper, for ur input.

looks like there is no option but to refrigerate the oil as they seem to have little shelf life and to top it what i have is the manual processed til oil so was wondering if someone does actually store it this way?

guess will have to find ways to use it as much as possible. :)

regards

rain

tomato
5th February 2006, 09:10 AM
What is Missa atta ? I brought a pack by mistake instead of regular atta. Now i found that is a mixture of 70% wheat and 30% whole chana(chickpea). Is this used for any particular breads? I made reg Phulkas with is, but I see that they don't come out soft like the plain atta ones?
Any inputs on this wil be helpful.

rain
6th February 2006, 05:18 AM
hi tomato,

i had once bought readymade "missi roti" which was apparently made with besan and whole wheat. it was quite tasty but the texture was not thin like phulkas but rather like parathas.
sorry can't say for sure if this is one and the same as i have never made this from scratch .maybe u might want to check the recipe sites.

hope this helps.

regards,
rain

tomato
6th February 2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks rain. I had done a google on missa atta but did not find much info. Thank u for telling me abt missi roti :) , there r a lot of recipes for that on the net, will try out sonething soon.....

Nichiro
6th February 2006, 05:03 PM
What is Missa atta ? I brought a pack by mistake instead of regular atta. Now i found that is a mixture of 70% wheat and 30% whole chana(chickpea). Is this used for any particular breads? I made reg Phulkas with is, but I see that they don't come out soft like the plain atta ones?
Any inputs on this wil be helpful.
Tomato,
As Rain said, it is used to make Missi Rotis which are crisp .
You cannot make Phulkas out of them.
Only Tawa Parathas/Theplas with spices , garlic, ginger, green chiles salt . etc can be made with that

tomato
7th February 2006, 05:08 PM
Thank you Nichiro. I guess I'll make 'methi theplas' with them. I've made methi theplas a couple of times following ur recipe. They always come out well. :D . But I guess while using missa atta I can just omit the besan from the list of ingredients.

Pushpa
12th February 2006, 09:56 AM
How to cook rice properly in electric rice cooker ?? As per the instruction manual, I placed the correct amt. of rice & water --- but it is taking Ages to cook .......

The switch comes to warm , then goes back to cook but water hasn't even started to boil yet .......

How long does it take approx. to cook 1 cup of rice ? Any ideas to cook faster & save electricity consumption ?
Please help.

Thanks,
Pushpa.

Anoushka
12th February 2006, 10:47 PM
Hello all.... can some one tell me what exactly is maida? Stranger tells me it is not plain flour, I live in Europe and what is the equivalent that I will get in the shops here?

Thanks

dev
13th February 2006, 07:29 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone pls let me know where I can find raw rice(for making appam) in Singapore... Or is there any other substitute for it(like Shoba suggested thai rice for pongal instead of raw rice & it turned out great)...

Thanks in adv...:)

tomato
13th February 2006, 07:50 AM
Hello all.... can some one tell me what exactly is maida? Stranger tells me it is not plain flour, I live in Europe and what is the equivalent that I will get in the shops here?

Thanks

I always thought that maida and plain flour/all purpouse flour are the same. :? Atleast I substitue one for the other without any change in texture or taste(well nither of them have any taste or flavour :wink: ). Only diff I noticed is that the 'maida' that I by from Indian stores is not as white as the the plain flours from the supermarket. But neither maida nor palin flour have much nutritional value in them, so I use them sparingly........

tomato
13th February 2006, 08:00 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone pls let me know where I can find raw rice(for making appam) in Singapore... Or is there any other substitute for it(like Shoba suggested thai rice for pongal instead of raw rice & it turned out great)...

Thanks in adv...:)

You could try 'Karthik stores' - Buffalo street, for raw rice. They do have a good variety of Indian rice and other groceries as well! Ofcourse 'Mustafa' as u know is another place to try.
BUT I use 'house brand' broken rice to make appam as well as neer dosa. This ie Broken rice, resembles closely to 'dosay akki' we get in B'lore. I'm quite satisfied with the result.

dev
13th February 2006, 08:06 AM
I couldn't find raw rice in Mustafa ... I've seen appam in most kerala restaurents(& other restau's too)... so was wondering where they get the rice from... broken rice- will give it a try... Thanks, tomato...:)

Anoushka
13th February 2006, 07:21 PM
hi Tomato, thanks for the reply. I have been using plain flour so far for all maida recipes as well, but since stranger pointed out that they are not the same I wanted to give that a try!

kavithasenthil
15th February 2006, 02:58 AM
what goes well with aappam? other than coconut milk and vadai curry. can any one help?

a_gopinathan
15th February 2006, 03:06 AM
kavitha

appam and egg roast or appam and chicken/mutton/potato stew is the regular combination what we have. i have heard of appam and kadala curry, but have never tried that

Anju

dev
15th February 2006, 07:11 AM
Appam with egg korma is an xcellent combi... Had it at one of our friends place... She said appam goes well with most curries that uses coconut milk as the base...

kavithasenthil
16th February 2006, 06:16 AM
Thanks anju and dev. We don't eat meat but eat egg. so try egg kurma and egg roast. by the way what is egg roast? is it omlette? also whats stew?

dev
16th February 2006, 07:41 AM
Kavitha, use coconut milk for the egg kurma instead of coconut paste...Just grind some ginger...fry it with onions... add chilli powder, coriander powder(2 spoons) & chicken curry powder... My friend uses Eastern chicken masala... She said this chicken masala is the secret ingredient in the recipe...fry for sometime... now add some water & then coconut milk(else it might split)... add salt, turmeric powder , few chopped tomatoes & wait till it starts to boil...Switch off the flame & add boiled, slit eggs...

This is the recipe my friend uses... I'm not sure if she added any patta,lavang, cardamom stuff... If u plan to use this recipe, I can ask her for the proper recipe with measurements...This was very tasty that I couldn't stop eating though my brain was instructing me to stop with 2 appams as the curry was coconut based... :oops: :wink:

dev
16th February 2006, 07:48 AM
Potato stew:

My friend's recipe again...

Cook a few potatoes(cut into 4 pieces), slit green chillies & ginger(long strips), in the cooker... let cool & remove the skin of the potatoes & mash them very coarsely... u should still be able to see medium sized chunks of potatoes after mashing... do not chop the potatoes as that doesn't give the same taste & consistency for the curry... Now add some coconut milk & salt... let it come to boiling point & then switch off... This is one type of stew, I believe...

Note: 've not tried this recipe myself but had it at my friend's place... So, try this recipe at ur own risk... :wink: :lol:

kavithasenthil
16th February 2006, 09:38 PM
thanks dev. i will try the egg kurma and let u know the out come.

a_gopinathan
17th February 2006, 06:35 AM
egg roast is dry. my amma makes it often for appam. just saute lot of onions cut into thin slices in oil, also add chillies and curry leaves and once its done, add some vegetable masala or egg masala or chilli powder + coriander powder + turmeric and saute well. add boiled eggs into this and coat eggs with this masala. you need lot of onions for this as this is a dry dish. its pretty good.

Shoba
17th February 2006, 02:37 PM
I couldn't find raw rice in Mustafa ... I've seen appam in most kerala restaurents(& other restau's too)... so was wondering where they get the rice from... broken rice- will give it a try... Thanks, tomato...:)

Dev,

You can use any AAA Thai rice for any recipe calling for pachcharisi. Be it idli, dosha, appam, puttu, idiyappam-works just fine.

Shoba

dev
17th February 2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks, Shoba... Will try that out too...

RedPepper
17th February 2006, 08:50 PM
egg roast is dry. my amma makes it often for appam. just saute lot of onions cut into thin slices in oil, also add chillies and curry leaves and once its done, add some vegetable masala or egg masala or chilli powder + coriander powder + turmeric and saute well. add boiled eggs into this and coat eggs with this masala. you need lot of onions for this as this is a dry dish. its pretty good.
My mom makes something similar to this, but she also adds garlic, ginger, and tomatoes.

Alan
19th February 2006, 05:38 PM
Kavitha, use coconut milk for the egg kurma instead of coconut paste...Just grind some ginger...fry it with onions... add chilli powder, coriander powder(2 spoons) & chicken curry powder... My friend uses Eastern chicken masala... She said this chicken masala is the secret ingredient in the recipe...fry for sometime... now add some water & then coconut milk(else it might split)... add salt, turmeric powder , few chopped tomatoes & wait till it starts to boil...Switch off the flame & add boiled, slit eggs...

This is the recipe my friend uses... I'm not sure if she added any patta,lavang, cardamom stuff... If u plan to use this recipe, I can ask her for the proper recipe with measurements...This was very tasty that I couldn't stop eating though my brain was instructing me to stop with 2 appams as the curry was coconut based... :oops: :wink:

Hmmmm- both tastes yummy but I like the fried &ground(along with red chilles & corriander) coconut paste for Egg Curry better esp with Chappatis & Parathas :D

rsankar
20th February 2006, 03:33 PM
1. Kadukkaai

2. Vetti ver

3. Jaadhikkaai

4. Vaazhai thandu...

Could anyone tell me these english name?

Thanks
rsankar.

RedPepper
21st February 2006, 07:40 AM
Let me give it a try.

1. Kadukkaai - Chebulic myrobalan

2. Vetti ver - Cuscus grass??

3. Jaadhikkaai - Nutmeg

4. Vaazhai thandu - Banana stem?? :D

Please correct me if I am wrong.

rsankar
21st February 2006, 03:30 PM
Hello Red pepper,

Vaazhai thandu... PLANTAIN STEM ( http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/glossary/other-vegetables.html)

RedPepper
22nd February 2006, 12:31 AM
Hello Red pepper,

Vaazhai thandu... PLANTAIN STEM ( http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/glossary/other-vegetables.html)

Oh sorry.
So only plantain plant's stem is known as vazhai thandu? I thought all kinds of banana plants' stems are used as vazhai thandu.

Shoba
24th February 2006, 03:33 PM
I have a question about the rolling pin we use for rolling out chappaathis:

Does the circumferance of the pin have any effect on the chappaathi/puris?

Shoba

rain
25th February 2006, 12:14 AM
i wud think it depends on the circumference but also varies with the comfort level of each person.
my mother wud make perfectly round,soft(but not thin) chappatis with the standard rolling pin. my friend uses the long,thin, one pc n.indian rolling pin for phulkas and puris.
i for one have taken quite a fancy with the thick kind u get locally here which has the centre part of the pin actually rolling as u move around the dough.here it's good for pizzas and pies but somehow works just as well for rotis/parathas too.:D

Shoba
26th February 2006, 12:05 PM
i wud think it depends on the circumference but also varies with the comfort level of each person.
my mother wud make perfectly round,soft(but not thin) chappatis with the standard rolling pin. my friend uses the long,thin, one pc n.indian rolling pin for phulkas and puris.
i for one have taken quite a fancy with the thick kind u get locally here which has the centre part of the pin actually rolling as u move around the dough.here it's good for pizzas and pies but somehow works just as well for rotis/parathas too.:D

Thanks rain!

Shoba

Shoba
1st March 2006, 07:09 PM
This is not really a food related question, but wasnt there a thread about home made face masks and hair conditioners? If anyone knows which thread it was, or can advise me how to make face masks & hair conditioners preferably without egg, that'll be great.

Thanks in anticipation!

Shoba

binal142001
2nd March 2006, 10:13 PM
The name of the thread is Home Remedies for skin and hair

RedPepper
3rd March 2006, 04:32 AM
The lemon pickle I made turned out too salty. I kept the quartered lemons in salt for two weeks and then made the pickle. The lemons seem to have absorbed the salt very well. So not only the gravy part, but the lemons also taste too salty. How do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Kz
3rd March 2006, 09:54 PM
Redpepper, Try adding more lemon to the pickle. I made mango thokku, first batch came out good but the second batch turned salty, i tried adding little more mango to the salty one and now after 2 weeks it tastes good.

Kz

kavikuil
4th March 2006, 01:20 AM
The lemon pickle I made turned out too salty. I kept the quartered lemons in salt for two weeks and then made the pickle. The lemons seem to have absorbed the salt very well. So not only the gravy part, but the lemons also taste too salty. How do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Add some lemon juice and mix well. My granma's trick and it works for me. :)

RedPepper
5th March 2006, 01:18 AM
Thank you Kz and kavikuil. I will try adding more lemons/lemon juice.

cynthia_a02
5th March 2006, 06:18 AM
hai,
can anyone please post the receipe for chicken machoni and rice payasam.thanks in advance.

dev
5th March 2006, 09:21 AM
Rice payasam is very simple... soak rice for a few hrs... add milk & keep on cooking until the rice is done... now add req sugar & boil for few mins until well combined & req consistency is reached...

Sowmya
7th March 2006, 12:52 PM
Hi
Can somebody please let me know the tamil/hindi equivalent for "Courgette"?
Saw a cute recipe in one of the food blogs and would like to try it :)

Regards
Sowmya :)

rain
7th March 2006, 08:58 PM
hello sowmya,

zucchini is what americans say for courgettes(brit).it's one and the same.am not sure what it is called in hindi or tamil.actually it's just the immature and mini version of the marrow but the whole flesh along with the skin can be cooked.this is what it looks like,
http://www.harrismoran.com/products/squash/photos/bobcat.jpg

regards,
rain

Sowmya
7th March 2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Rain
Thanx a lot for your prompt reply. :D .I use zuchinni in my cooking & we like the taste.

Regards
Sowmya :D

Alan
13th March 2006, 05:13 PM
HELP!!!!!

The aloo mutter curry I made turned too sour( beaten curd & tomato puree)- How do I make it ok? Will adding sugar or cream help?

dev
13th March 2006, 06:18 PM
Adding cream/milk should help...

Alan
14th March 2006, 08:21 AM
I added cream & a little sugar- no use! :(

RedPepper
14th March 2006, 08:44 AM
[tscii:a5612ad0ab]

Hemantji has a method for sour sambar/rasam here:
http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/tipstricks.html#tip13

Don’t know how much relevant it is in this case. :? [/tscii:a5612ad0ab]

dev
14th March 2006, 09:44 AM
[tscii:12dbd353da]

Don’t know how much relevant it is in this case. :? [/tscii:12dbd353da]

The tip is a :shock: to me...

Alan
15th March 2006, 06:18 PM
[tscii:0b37bb7b09]

Don’t know how much relevant it is in this case. :? [/tscii:0b37bb7b09]

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Alan
18th March 2006, 01:28 PM
What is the ideal curry suitable for Tomato Rice? I've bought a packet of instant Tomato Rice by MTR.

dev
18th March 2006, 02:49 PM
Tomato rice... I like it on it's own... But if it's the spicier version(with all the garam masala stuff in it), U can have it with raita of ur choice...

Alan
18th March 2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah, Raita is there - no doubt about that- I like Cucumber Raita-but I'm asking other curries- Will Cauliflower fry (fried in chickpea batter) go with it? And Pappad & Pickle?

Shoba
19th March 2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Raita is there - no doubt about that- I like Cucumber Raita-but I'm asking other curries- Will Cauliflower fry (fried in chickpea batter) go with it? And Pappad & Pickle?

Alan, I serve stir fried snow pea-frozen pea, cucumber pachadi and pappadam along with tomato rice. I dont serve pickle, coz it's pungent and clashes with the taste of tomato rice.

Snow peas is the slender and sweeter version of avarakka. Saute chopped onions and sliced red chillies. Devein the snow peas and half it slanting (so that the cut pieces look like diamond shapes). Defrost peas. Once the onions turn translucent, add snow pea, salt and turmeric (just a bit to bring the green colour out). Lower flame, cover and cook. Add thawed peas, adjust salt, and cook for a few minutes more. Sorry I dont have any exact measurements!

Shoba

Alan
19th March 2006, 11:55 AM

Alan, I serve stir fried snow pea-frozen pea, cucumber pachadi and pappadam along with tomato rice. I dont serve pickle, coz it's pungent and clashes with the taste of tomato rice.

Snow peas is the slender and sweeter version of avarakka. Saute chopped onions and sliced red chillies. Devein the snow peas and half it slanting (so that the cut pieces look like diamond shapes). Defrost peas. Once the onions turn translucent, add snow pea, salt and turmeric (just a bit to bring the green colour out). Lower flame, cover and cook. Add thawed peas, adjust salt, and cook for a few minutes more. Sorry I dont have any exact measurements!

Shoba

What's 'avarakka" in the first place? Sorry, I did not understand anything, Shobha Mam!

dev
19th March 2006, 02:55 PM
Snow pea pic- http://www.ncagr.com/markets/commodit/horticul/sumveg/images/snowpea.jpg

I guess snow pea is not fully matured green peas... it's a nice veg with a slight sweet taste... I usually stir fry it along with carrots... I'm not sure if U'll get it in India as I dodn't remember seeing it when in India... It's popular in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia & neighbouring countries...

Shoba & others,

Do U have any idea as to how to make the dry veg sidedish that the Malaysian Indians make... it's a mix of all vegs like carrots, long beans, snow peas, cabbage etc... could see no spices,turmeric but was perfectly salted...Is it just boiling in salted water & draining or just steaming with salt?...Any ideas...

ShivShanth
20th March 2006, 06:33 PM
Hello,
Let me begin by thanking people belonging to this forum for helping me out by posting their questions and answers. I have found answers to almost all of my queries here even without posting a query. But now I would like to ask for help directly.

So far I have been using non stick tawa for making chapthis. This tawa is now in really bad shape with coating coming off. I heard that that is what will happen when you use non stick tawas for chapthis. What is the alternative? I would like to buy something equivalent chapthi kall here in US, but what is it? Is it iron skillets or griddles, or hard ionized products? Can someone please help me? If there are indian websites were I can purchase them can someone let me know of the websites please.

Thanks in advance.

Shoba
21st March 2006, 08:13 AM
Can someone please help me? If there are indian websites were I can purchase them can someone let me know of the websites please.

Thanks in advance.

Hello ShivShanth,

Click on this

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5848

and it will take you to a discussion done on this very food thread on cookware and utensils, relating particularly to those residing in the U.S.

Hope it helps..

Regards,
Shoba

Shoba
21st March 2006, 08:17 AM
What's 'avarakka" in the first place? Sorry, I did not understand anything, Shobha Mam!

Alan, avarakka is broad beans in English, sem in Hindi. Sorry for assuming that you knew the lingo :oops: !

Dev has given a link showing the pic of snow peas.

Regards,
Shoba

Shoba
21st March 2006, 08:24 AM
Shoba & others,

Do U have any idea as to how to make the dry veg sidedish that the Malaysian Indians make... it's a mix of all vegs like carrots, long beans, snow peas, cabbage etc... could see no spices,turmeric but was perfectly salted...Is it just boiling in salted water & draining or just steaming with salt?...Any ideas...

Does it have a slightly pungent taste Dev?

Shoba

dev
21st March 2006, 08:32 AM
yes...it did have a mild pungent taste...

Shoba
21st March 2006, 08:49 AM
yes...it did have a mild pungent taste...

Dev, I think...it could be the mixed veg achaar you are referring to. The veggies are blanched in boiling water which has a pinch of turmeric. They are then dipped in cold water after which salt and vinegar are added according to taste.

Shoba

Alan
21st March 2006, 06:59 PM
Is it ok to store an opened can of mushrooms in the fridge? Or should I use it up all together?

RedPepper
21st March 2006, 07:05 PM
Is it ok to store an opened can of mushrooms in the fridge? Or should I use it up all together?

Yeah, just for a couple of days it is fine. Thats what friends in another forum told me.
But you need to transfer it from the can- to a glass or plastic container with lid.

rsankar
21st March 2006, 07:07 PM
Milaghu Poo and Vaal Milaghu, anybody tell me these english name?

Thanks
rsankar.

rsankar
21st March 2006, 07:20 PM
I just found these from forum...

http://forumhub.com/southfood/18842.22416.01.55.29.html

From: Idiappam (@ cache139.156ce.maxonline.com.sg) on: Wed Aug 6 05:22:18 EDT 2003

Hi Ivete, the names of plants mentioned above:

1. Tamil: KadukkAi
Botanical Name: Terminalia chebula (Combretaceae)
Common English Name: Chebulic myrobalan

2. Tamil: Thippili
Botanical Name: Piper longum (Piperaceae)
Common English Name: Long Pepper

3. Tamil: Vaal Milagu
Botanical Name: Piper cubeba(Piperaceae)
Common English Name: Java Pepper

4. Tamil: Vasambu
Botanical Name: Acorus calamus (Araceae)
Common English Name: Sweet Flag

5. Tamil: Athimathuram
Botanical Name: Glycyrrhiza glabra (Fabaceae)
Common English Name: Liquorice

6. Tamil: isappukkOl (Hindi: isabgol, Sanskrit: Snigdhabijah)
Botanical Name: Plantago lanceolata (syn: Plantago ovata) (Plantaginaceae)
Common English Name: Blond psyllium, Spogel seeds.

7. Tamil: ManatakkAli
Botanical Name: Solanum nigrum (Solanaceae)
Common English Name: Black nightshade.

rsankar
21st March 2006, 07:25 PM
Some web sites for Dictionary of the ingredients

http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/ingredients/terms.htm

http://www.thezeal.com/cooking/ingredients_glossary.asp

http://pachakam.com/glossary.asp

http://www.informationcorner.com/recipeglossary.asp

http://inekesteine.com/inekeindianingredients.html (with photo)

http://recipeparadise.f2o.org/glossary.html

http://members.fortunecity.com/suchisrini/id22.htm

Alan
22nd March 2006, 08:46 AM

Yeah, just for a couple of days it is fine. Thats what friends in another forum told me.
But you need to transfer it from the can- to a glass or plastic container with lid.

Thanks Red Pepper!

Alan
22nd March 2006, 10:28 PM
Ok after all that elaborate menu planning, I suddenly have a doubt- Is Bagera Baingan better with Chappatis or Pulao?

dev
23rd March 2006, 07:21 AM
Never tasted it, Alan... this is a new dish to me... sorry...

Shoba
23rd March 2006, 08:29 AM
Ok after all that elaborate menu planning, I suddenly have a doubt- Is Bagera Baingan better with Chappatis or Pulao?

Alan,

The baingan dish will go well with both rotis & mixed rice varieties.

From a vegetarian's point of view, I feel that the meal you serve should have some variety in texture in the dishes. The "rule of thumb" is actually to have one starch, one semi solid, one dry and one gravy as the bare minimum for your main meal. Pappadam, pachadi & pickle unfortunately, dont count as "dishes" but as accessories. If you have sat at a traditional sadya, you would have noticed the positions & priorities these last three items occupy.

In your menu, you have veg pulao, and the baingan will be a good accompaniment. If the pulao is on the spicy side, then the raita will serve to cool your system. I would still go for a stir fried item, which doesnt have to be dripping in oil. It will not only compliment the rice dish, but also fill up your guests.

As for the cutlets, if you find it easy to make, then go ahead and serve them with the lemonade. Same, if you decide on spring roll or frozen baby samosas etc., Dont serve them with your main meal, coz it doesnt compliment the spread you have.

Sorry for this lengthy reply...but I thought I would share my thoughts...

Regards,
Shoba

Alan
23rd March 2006, 01:59 PM
Thankyou so much, Shoba mam- I had known of this rule before- ok- now, I have one starch (Veg Pulao), one semi- gravy (Baingan) but no dry or semi-solid???

What exactly are stir fried items? Can crispy fried veggies ( as starter) be counted as stir-fried? But it is actually deep fried.

What are semi-solid dishes like? Paneer Bhurjiya & ChilliGobi etc can be counted as 'dry' dishes, right?

dev
23rd March 2006, 02:18 PM
What exactly are stir fried items? Can crispy fried veggies ( as starter) be counted as stir-fried? But it is actually deep fried.

What are semi-solid dishes like? Paneer Bhurjiya & ChilliGobi etc can be counted as 'dry' dishes, right?

I guess something like buttered vegs can be considered as stir fried item... Also, aloo with ladies finger stir fried along with spices makes a dry dish... tastes good with pulao/rotis... I guess these kinds of dishes are what Shoba has in mind...:roll:

dev
23rd March 2006, 02:29 PM
Hey Alan, U can find some stir fried veg recipes in Mrs.Mano's thread...ex: POTATO CAPSICUM FRY...not deep fried but stir fried...

How abt tandoori vegs...esp good if U have a grill/conventional oven...You can also find some stir fried dishes like zunka, bhajis at http://onehotstove.blogspot.com/

Shoba
23rd March 2006, 05:06 PM
Thankyou so much, Shoba mam- I had known of this rule before- ok- now, I have one starch (Veg Pulao), one semi- gravy (Baingan) but no dry or semi-solid???

Alan,

Panic not! Your menu is just fine, ok :) !

The baingan dish is a semi solid dish. It will double up as a gravy coz it's veg pulao that you are serving.

Stir fried veggies, I usually dont recommend potato based starchy veggies coz you already have a heavy duty main dish like veg pulao. Do you get french beans-just the ordinary beans? Wash, remove stalk, and chop them up. Burst mustard seeds, lightly brown urad dal, add the beans. Add turmeric and salt and a dash of asfoetida. Mix well. Lower flame, cover and cook till done. That's it. Dont go for complicated stuff. You can do this for cabbages, carrots etc., where it doesnt weigh you down with the rice dish. Wash veggies before cutting, as this will prevent the dishes from getting soggy. Grated coconut is optional, once the veggies are cooked.

Shoba
Your starter should be something interesting and semi filling. Dont go for deep fried veggies, unless you're doing it tempura style. I still dont know whether you are doing samosas or paneer fingers, or cutlets etc etc...?

"Paneer Bhurjiya & ChilliGobi etc can be counted as 'dry' dishes, right? "-yes, but not for this menu, if you see what I mean....

Idea is to keep things simple, people's stomach's happy and have a good time.

Alan
23rd March 2006, 10:23 PM
Oh! Amazing women, dev & Shoba Mam! What would I have done without ur valuable suggestions? I had no idea about stir-fried dishes though I've eaten them- this indeed has been an enlightening discussion for me- anyway, I think I'll go ahead with my menu plan right now but I'll need loads of advices, tips & suggestions in the future!

I'll be very very busy for the next 2-3 days- will come back only on mon or tue- Ladies, you've been wonderful!Thankyou once again!
*bows*
*exits*

Alan
23rd March 2006, 10:43 PM
*re-enters*

Well, I need help immediately!
I had opened a tin of milkmaid condensed milk on Tuesday evening- kept it back in the fridge- How long can I store it this way?

Thanks!

RedPepper
24th March 2006, 12:22 AM
*re-enters*

Well, I need help immediately!
I had opened a tin of milkmaid condensed milk on Tuesday evening- kept it back in the fridge- How long can I store it this way?

Thanks!

Alan, I keep that up to a week if I could not gobble it up all at once. Sometimes I open a can just for snacking a few spoonfuls. I love that stuff, but cannot take more than 2-3 spoonfuls at a time. So I keep it in the fridge and take a few spoonfuls everyday for dessert. Sometimes I mix this with equal amount of half & half (thick milk) and add fresh cut up fruits(soft fruits like banana, pineapple, papaya, mango etc.) to it. Yummy and easy fruit salad!

Alan
24th March 2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks Pepper! Can I mix in water & use it like milk as in tea or for simply drinking?

dev
24th March 2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks Pepper! Can I mix in water & use it like milk as in tea or for simply drinking?

You can use it in tea... just boil the tea leaves in enough water... Pour the req amt of condensedmilk in a cup... filter the tea & pour it into the cup...mix well & enjoy ur hot cup of 'teh'( malaysian tea which uses condensed milk in place of plain milk & sugar)...

mixing with water & drinking... I doubt if it'll taste good...

RedPepper
24th March 2006, 09:15 AM

My friend told me they used to add condensed milk to the black tea while they were in hostel. I tried this once. It tasted different & I didn't like it.
If you don't know what to do with it, just give it to me Alan. :D

dev
24th March 2006, 10:11 AM

My friend told me they used to add condensed milk to the black tea while they were in hostel. I tried this once. It tasted different & I didn't like it.
If you don't know what to do with it, just give it to me Alan. :D

Redpepper,

That's how most ppl in Singapore & Malaysia prepare tea...& they call it 'teh'... Yes, the taste differs(sort of vannila flavour in the tea) but somehow I liked that taste too(though, if given an option, I would go for Indian style tea :) )...

Alan
24th March 2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks dev & Red Pepper! I'll use it in my tea today!

Alan
26th March 2006, 06:10 PM
I used it in tea- came out very well.

One doubt that requires IMMEDIATE attention & ANSWER.

While making Paneer curry, I ground garlic and the taste became too pungent- how do I rectify it? Will adding more cream help ( I have already added 3 tbsps)

dev
26th March 2006, 08:27 PM
Adding coconut milk helps- heard from a friend. But it might change the taste of the curry.

Alan
26th March 2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks dev! I boiled it with more water, added cream & sugar instead & garnished with chopped coriander- it tasted just fine!
How have u been? Did u see my vegetarian meal thread? :D

rsankar
27th March 2006, 03:38 PM
How to make khoya (kovva) ?

Thanks
rsankar.

Alan
27th March 2006, 05:43 PM
Take one litre milk- Boil it- Keep stirring in medium flame- When you do this for about 1.5 hrs, you'll get about 2 -3 tablespoons of milk solids or Khoya. Not very economical for your gas cylinder.

Shoba
27th March 2006, 06:43 PM
That's how most ppl in Singapore & Malaysia prepare tea...& they call it 'teh'... Yes, the taste differs(sort of vannila flavour in the tea) but somehow I liked that taste too(though, if given an option, I would go for Indian style tea :) )...

Dev, 'teh' means tea, in the Malay language. It actually doesnt refer to tea made using condensed milk.

In Malayalam although tea is called chaaya, the tea leaves are known as teh-ila.

Shoba

RedPepper
27th March 2006, 08:45 PM
Redpepper,

Oh good to know that Dev. I normally like anything with condensed milk in it, but couldn't like it when added to tea.

dev
28th March 2006, 06:56 AM

Dev, 'teh' means tea, in the Malay language. It actually doesnt refer to tea made using condensed milk.

In Malayalam although tea is called chaaya, the tea leaves are known as teh-ila.

Shoba

Oh...I C... Thanks for correcting me , Shoba...

Alan
28th March 2006, 07:41 PM
I have an Idli /Dosa batter doubt- According to my friend's mom, I put to soak 2 glasses of Rice (Ponni) and 1 glass of Urad dal, 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds (Uluva) to soak for 6 hrs & then ground it to a fine paste- But when I made doasa, the smell & colour is nowhere near what she makes- The dosa came out fine - Should I add more fenugreek seeds for better aroma?

Is there any kind of chutney that I can make & store for 2-3 days? The cocunut chutney gets spoiled even when kept in the fridge. :cry:

dev
29th March 2006, 07:09 AM
Alan,
I'm not very good at grinding the batter as I buy the batter most of the time. For the chutney, you can make tomato chutney, Mrs.Mano's red chutney(hot hot chutney this is), coriander chutney, curry leaves chutney, carrot chutney,beetroot chutney etc. Pls chk Mrs. Mano's thread & U'll find a lots of chutney varieties.

Alan
29th March 2006, 07:36 AM
Thankyou dev madamoiselle! :D

rsankar
29th March 2006, 02:16 PM
Take one litre milk- Boil it- Keep stirring in medium flame- When you do this for about 1.5 hrs, you'll get about 2 -3 tablespoons of milk solids or Khoya. Not very economical for your gas cylinder.

Thanks for your reply, Alan.

rsankar.

rsankar
29th March 2006, 02:32 PM
I have an Idli /Dosa batter doubt- According to my friend's mom, I put to soak 2 glasses of Rice (Ponni) and 1 glass of Urad dal, 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds (Uluva) to soak for 6 hrs & then ground it to a fine paste- But when I made doasa, the smell & colour is nowhere near what she makes- The dosa came out fine - Should I add more fenugreek seeds for better aroma?

Is there any kind of chutney that I can make & store for 2-3 days? The cocunut chutney gets spoiled even when kept in the fridge. :cry:

You can use 2 cups of Ponni rice + 1/2 cup Raw rice, 1/2 cup urad dal + 1 tbls of fenugreek....wash 3 times....soak for 5 hours. use same water which is you used for soak...grind. leave this batter for about 8 to 10 hours. When you want to prepare idly don't mix this batter, if you want to make dosa mix well this batter....this will work, try this.

cocunut chutney

If you fry coconut with some oil, the coconut chutney don't get spoil until evening.

Alan
29th March 2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks a lot, rsankar!

Shoba
29th March 2006, 07:01 PM
Alan,

Few reasons why the coconut chutney doesn't stay fresh:

The grated coconut should be fresh. If you buy grated coconut from the shop/market, and if you're not going to use it immediately, store it in the freezer and not the chiller(where we usually keep veggies, left over food, water to cool etc.,). When you want to use the coconut, transfer from freezer to the chiller and then to room temperature. What I do is pack the grated coconut into smaller packets.

After making the chutney, use what is required and keep the rest in a clean container with lid, in the fridge. By adding a small piece of ginger while grinding and by using coconut oil for thaalichufying (bursting mustard etc.,) the coconut chutney will stay upto 48 hours.

Alan, try not to consume food which is more than 48 hours. There are many varieties of chutney on Mrs Mano's & Mr Hemant Trivedi's thread.

Regards,
Shoba

Alan
29th March 2006, 08:21 PM
I always use freshly grated coconut ( which I grate myself though it is extremely time-consuming) The maid brings me a coconut everyday- I break it & grate it myself.

Thankyou for the tip: I'll remember to add the ginger & the coconut oil. I normally use refined oil for spluttering the mustard & urad dal! And yes, I've saved two recipes from Mrs. Mano's thread.

Thankyou for all the help you have rendered me, Shoba Mam! You ladies help me improve in my cooking everyday!

Shoba
30th March 2006, 04:20 PM
How to make khoya (kovva) ?

Thanks
rsankar.

While searching for info on ricotta cheese, I found this info:

http://www.bawarchi.com/features/feature5.html

Hope it helps..

Regards,
Shoba

Alan
30th March 2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks, Shoba Mam. The link was very helpful for me too- I had known only the traditional way to make it- by reducing milk to solids. :D

rsankar
31st March 2006, 03:20 PM
Thank you Shoba for the link.

rsankar.

ShivShanth
5th April 2006, 05:32 AM
Hi,
Can anyone help me with making murukku from rice flour and urad flour. I live in the US and have no proper blender / grinder. So I have to use these flours available in the Indian grocery stores. I tried making murukku with 1 cup rice and 2 tablespoons of urad four. I added salt + oil + jeeragam. The murukku taste isn't bad, but not great. It turned out almost whitish in colour and it isn't crisp or hard. It seems soft. This is my first time. Somebody Help!!!

rsankar
5th April 2006, 12:24 PM
Can anyone help me with making murukku......

I saved this recipe for a long time ago, I don't know the web address....here is the recipe...

Murukku

Rice flour : pottukadalai flour= 4:1, mix them with warm water and add butter, sesame/jeera, red chilli powder and salt. Mix all of them well and make with ribbon pakoda achu.

yosh
5th April 2006, 03:12 PM
Hi, Can anyone please translate the following in Tamil for me.

Cilantro
Capsium
Lentils
Metti leaves

Thanks in advance.
Yoshi

dev
5th April 2006, 04:05 PM
Cilantro = Kothamalli
Capsium= kudai milagai
Lentils= paruppu
Metti leaves= venthaya ilai/ venthaya keerai

vm
5th April 2006, 06:46 PM
Hi ShivShanth,

Indian stores carries MTR murruku powder mix and the murukkus turns very good.

yosh
6th April 2006, 06:25 AM
Thank you Dev

Alan
9th April 2006, 09:47 AM
Someone pls help me find the link to Mrs. mano's "Capsicum Potato Fry"- I searched the whole of the 12 pages of the thread "Mrs. Mano's TamilNadu recipes." but could not find. :cry:

Shoba
9th April 2006, 09:54 AM
[tscii:25ae484baf]
Someone pls help me find the link to Mrs. mano's "Capsicum Potato Fry"- I searched the whole of the 12 pages of the thread "Mrs. Mano's TamilNadu recipes." but could not find. :cry:

POTATO CAPSICUM FRY:
Ingredients:
Potato- 250gms, Capsicum [diced]-1 cup, Red chilli powder-1 tbsp, Turmeric powder- 1 tsp, Fennel powder- 1 tsp, Sliced onions- ˝ cup, Garlic paste- 1 tsp, Oil- 4tbsp
Salt to taste
Procedure:
Boil the potatoes, peel the outer skins and then cut them into cubes. Marinate them with the turmeric powder, chilli powder, garlic paste, fennel powder and enough salt for ˝ hour. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When it becomes hot, add the onion and fry it until it becomes brown. Then add the capsicum pieces and fry for a few mintes. Then add the potato pieces and fry until they are well cooked and roasted.

Alan try the search engine on this site. It throws up old posts...

Shoba[/tscii:25ae484baf]

Alan
9th April 2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks a ton Shoba Mam!

Alan
9th April 2006, 04:18 PM
What are fennel seeds, btw?
*I'm scratching my head at this one*

RedPepper
9th April 2006, 06:16 PM

saunf - jeera (not cumin, the other one)

Alan
9th April 2006, 06:17 PM
ohoh! I see, Thanks Red Pepper! :D

sri2005
10th April 2006, 09:56 PM
Could someone tell me which keerai varities to buy and from where in Singapore.
My sister has recently moved to Singapore and she doens't know where to buy Indian items (except Little India)
1) do u get keerais only in Indian stores or any other place, She said there are lot of other keerai varities which she doens't know how to cook or which one to cook.

2) Also she said she bought some chappathi flour from Indain shop and it was not good.Could you please let me know about the brand name/place to buy wheat flour for chappati as well.

3) Do u get bread (whole wheat/whole grains) in singapore like in US, If so which shop?

4) Do u make curd at home, if so how /with which milk ?

Could you please let me know about this .
(btwn my sister is pregnant now, so i am trying to give her tips to eat healthy food which is available in singapore)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sri

kavithasenthil
10th April 2006, 10:31 PM

saunf - jeera (not cumin, the other one)

saunf-sombu/perun jeeragam/fennel

Jeera-cumin

dev
10th April 2006, 11:31 PM
Could someone tell me which keerai varities to buy and from where in Singapore.
My sister has recently moved to Singapore and she doens't know where to buy Indian items (except Little India)
1) do u get keerais only in Indian stores or any other place, She said there are lot of other keerai varities which she doens't know how to cook or which one to cook.

2) Also she said she bought some chappathi flour from Indain shop and it was not good.Could you please let me know about the brand name/place to buy wheat flour for chappati as well.

3) Do u get bread (whole wheat/whole grains) in singapore like in US, If so which shop?

4) Do u make curd at home, if so how /with which milk ?

Could you please let me know about this .
(btwn my sister is pregnant now, so i am trying to give her tips to eat healthy food which is available in singapore)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sri

1.Keerai varities- most Inidan ones you get in little India... I've not seen it in much otherplaces except if U have an Indian grocer near ur house...
2. Atta- I buy pilsbury from any Indian shop.
3. Whole whear bread is available in almost all shops. I like Sunshine brand. You can also find multigrain ones, ots& honey bread etc etc...
4. I make curd at home using Amul slim & trim milk(available in Mustafa & other Indian stores in little India. Even my nearby grocesr stocks it). Meiji brand milk is also good for making curd.

sri2005
10th April 2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks a lot Dev for your quick reply.
Do u get frozen spinach (or any other keerai ) in the local grocery shops. we get that in US grocery shops.

Sri

Alan
11th April 2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks kavitha!

dev
11th April 2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks a lot Dev for your quick reply.
Do u get frozen spinach (or any other keerai ) in the local grocery shops. we get that in US grocery shops.

Sri

Sorry... I don't use any frozen stuffs except for green peas... SO, I never venture out into the frozen section...

Surya
12th April 2006, 06:34 AM
Someone help me out with the recipe for Vegetable Biryani. I know the mainstream recipe, but I hear there are different ways of enhancing the taste! Anyone got any? :)

dsath
12th April 2006, 01:35 PM
Adding some coconut milk and/or cashewnut paste is a taste enhancer. My mom does it when we go home, to impress the son-in-law i guess. :)

dsath
12th April 2006, 08:12 PM
Does any one know the Tamil word for Palm sugar please?

sri2005
12th April 2006, 08:38 PM
i think its " Panagal kandu " or " Panam karkandu "

Sri

dsath
13th April 2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks sri.

sanravi
13th April 2006, 07:10 PM
hi all

do anybody know how to make kamarkat

san

Inimai
24th April 2006, 10:05 PM
there are different things like

aapa soda/soda bi carbonate/baking soda/soda (uppu)salt/baking powder....

are they all same? or different? what dishes they r used for?

thanks!

Kz
24th April 2006, 10:19 PM
Inimai. I think baking soda, soda bi carbonate and soda uppu are all same.

Baking powder is different.
Look at this link for more info on it, http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/bakgsoda.html
hope it helps.
Kz

Inimai
26th April 2006, 03:15 AM
thank you Kz! Is baking powder used in bread/cake varities?

Kz
26th April 2006, 08:08 PM
Yes, Baking powder and sometimes baking soda is also used in baking cakes/cookies etc.
Kz

Kz
26th April 2006, 08:09 PM
Making curd with organic milk is not setting? Does anyone else have this problem? I usually make curd at home with regular milk. this time tried with organic whole milk. it is not setting. I set curd with organic and regular milk in two bowls at the same time. regular milk is set. so i am confused. Any suggestion?

Kz

RedPepper
27th April 2006, 12:17 AM
Making curd with organic milk is not setting? Does anyone else have this problem? I usually make curd at home with regular milk. this time tried with organic whole milk. it is not setting. I set curd with organic and regular milk in two bowls at the same time. regular milk is set. so i am confused. Any suggestion?

Kz

I make yogurt with organic milk. I have no problems so far. Maybe you didn't add enough yogurt culture to it? or was the milk very cold? I normally boil the milk, then cool down until it is lukewarm. Then I mix 2-3 tbsp of yogurt. It works for me.

Kz
28th April 2006, 07:17 PM
I will try it again RP, the milk was lukewarm, i will try with more yogurt culture this time and see.
Kz

Orange
6th May 2006, 08:03 AM
Hi Everybody,
I'm newbie to this forum.It's very great to see everyone sharing their idea's of cooking.

Plz anyone do send me the Collection of Chef Dhamodharan and Revathy Shanmugam Recipes. Especially could u send the collection of Dhabha Recipes.
Awaiting for those recipes.
Plz sent it across to me.My id is vijiveer@gmail.com
Thanks in advance.

Inimai
12th May 2006, 01:12 AM
Hi,

I want to use Olive oil to massage my baby. But there are different types like extra virgin, light... I don't know which one to use. Also, I'm confused whether we can use the cooking olive oil for baby massage too. Is there seperate olive oil for body massage?

Please clear my doubt.

Thanks!

dev
12th May 2006, 07:48 AM
Hey,

my friend was telling me that her baby became bit darker after she started using olive oil for massage... So, confirm this with someone before using...

Orange
12th May 2006, 09:31 AM
Hi,

I want to use Olive oil to massage my baby. But there are different types like extra virgin, light... I don't know which one to use. Also, I'm confused whether we can use the cooking olive oil for baby massage too. Is there seperate olive oil for body massage?

Thanks!

Hi Inimai,
I've read Extra Light Olive oil can be used for baby massage.as it contain less fragrance than other olive oil.But some say that it has been chemically processed and has to be avoid.
As babies put their hands and fingers into their mouths, you could use a natural oil like almond or sesame seed oil.
Do check out the link below.
http://www.storknet.com/guests/babymassage.htm
http://www.infantmassage-imis.com.au/tips/

dsath
12th May 2006, 05:18 PM
Hi Inimai,
I used Extra Virgin Olive oil for my first child. Its the oil that comes out of the first press, so no chemicals used. I used to apply olive oil till my son was 2 yrs. Couldn't do it for my second one as she developed eczma when she was just 5 months.
Before using olive oil or any oil its better to check if your child has eczma.

Inimai
1st June 2006, 01:44 AM
Dev,dsath and orange,

Thanks for your inputs! (Sorry for the late response! was out for a while.)

ayeshasadique
1st June 2006, 03:06 PM
hi
which thread has brinji recipe..?

ayeshasadique
1st June 2006, 03:07 PM
i know the basic recipe...wanted to know if there are any other different methods to making it...feeling bored with my brinji :)

tomato
5th June 2006, 08:15 AM
What is 'Chemba'?
I bought this pack of dried idiyappam. The idiyappam is brown in color( instead of white). And on the pack is written 'chemba idiyappam'?
Is 'chemba' a kind of grain?

dev
5th June 2006, 08:27 AM
Chemba is a rice variety...

SmileAlways
6th June 2006, 11:24 AM
HI

'Chemba Rice' is variety of rice tht is generally red in colour. Tht explains why the iddiyappam powder is brown in colour.

This is a typical malayali rice. Roughly Chemba arisi translates to red boiled rice.

You even get chemba puttu podi.

ssanjinika
7th June 2006, 08:14 PM
Im having a small party next weekend.I am planning to serve finger foods.Can you please share some easy to prepare finger food recipies or give me idease on what kinds of food to serve.
Thanks everyone!

rsankar
7th June 2006, 08:41 PM
Hello ssanjinika,

What a coincident....

I'm reading this very easy cookies now,
you can try this.

http://www.recipezaar.com/11298

No Bake Cookies

2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter
4 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup milk
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter

6-8 servings

In a sauce pan over medium high heat add melted butter, cocoa, sugar and milk bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Stir constantly.
Remove from heat and add the oats and the peanut butter.
Mix and drop by spoonfuls on wax paper.

ssanjinika
7th June 2006, 08:58 PM
thanks rsankar ! will try it out sometime :) that sure looks easy and sounds very tasty :)
Do you have any ideas for dips and such which can be made easily?
Also does anyone know any paneer snacks which can be eaten as a snack and not as a sidedish

rsankar
7th June 2006, 09:46 PM
Try this paneer recipe as snack.

http://www.recipezaar.com/46120

Paneer Canapes

2 onions, finely chopped
1 big potatoes, boiled and finely chopped
200 g cottage cheese, grated (paneer)
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
2-5 green chilies, chopped (according to taste)
coriander leaves, chopped finely
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
8 slices bread
salt
butter (optional)
1 tablespoon oil

3-5 servings

Heat oil in a kadhai or wok.
Add onions and fry them till golden brown.
Add tomatoes, and cook till soft.
Add potato pieces, garam masala, chilli powder and salt.
Cook on low flame for 4 minutes,stirring thoroughly.
Add the paneer and green chillies and mix well.
Keep aside.
Coat one side of bread slices with butter and place on a hot tawa.
Keep it on low flame till bread turns crisp only on one side.
Cut the bread slices in triangular shapes.
Now, spread the vegetable mixture on the uncooked side and garnish with coriander.
Finish with tomato sauce and mint chutney (optional).
NOTE:For the calorie conscious, dry toasting can be done instead of butter.
But one side has to remain soft.

rsankar
7th June 2006, 09:53 PM
And also try this paneer dish.

http://www.recipezaar.com/14803

Paneer Ke Gole

A diwali delight!!

1/2 cup condensed milk
275 g fresh panir
2-3 drops kewra essence
4-5 drops yellow food coloring
4 cardamoms, seeds removed ad powdered
1 edible silver foil

4 servings

Mash paneer till smooth.
Add milk.
Cook on slow flame stirring constantly.
Cook till it thickens and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Add colour and essence.
Remove from fire.
Mix well.
Pour this batter onto a plate.
Allow to cool.
Lightly grease your palms.
Form this mixture into balls.
Sprinkle cardamom powder and serve decorated with silver leaf on top.

rsankar
7th June 2006, 10:09 PM
http://www.recipezaar.com/75218

Tandoori Paneer Chaat Recipe #75218

From the Weekend magazine. This is a nice snack and appetiser. The grilling time is a guesstimate.

500 g cottage cheese, cut into finger shapes (paneer)
1/2 tablespoon tandoori garam masala powder
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2-3/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup raw green mangoes, cut into strips or amchoor powder, to taste (dried mango powder)
1 medium onion, peeled,washed and thinly sliced
3 green chilies, washed and finely chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped
2 1/4 teaspoons chat masala
1/2 tablespoon chopped ginger

6 servings

Make a thin paste of the tandoori masala powder and vinegar.
Marinate the cottage cheese in this mixture for 20 minutes.
Grill the cottage cheese cubes on an electric grill.
Keep aside.
Now prepare the chaat.
To do so, mix the lemon juice with salt, red chilli powder and oil in a bowl.
Keep aside.
In another bowl, mix the onions, mango, green chillies, corriander leaves, chaat masala powder and the lemon juice.
Now add the grilled cottage cheese cubes.
Mix well.
Transfer to a serving dish.
Garnish with chopped ginger and serve immediately.

rsankar
7th June 2006, 10:21 PM
http://www.recipezaar.com/89197

Paneer Palak Kofta Recipe #89197

Yummy Veggie Koftas! This recipe is from www.seattleguru.com. I love spinach, and paneer and koftas, so I am so happy about this recipe. Some people prefer to use tofu or cottage cheese instead of paneer, but I find that it's very easy to make my own with milk, lemon juice and cheese cloth, and TOTALLY worth it.

600 g spinach
125 g panir
1/2 teaspoon garlic
2 teaspoons chopped green chilies
3 teaspoons cornflour
oil (for deep frying)
salt, as per taste
1 tablespoon whole garam masala
400 g tomato puree
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
100 ml fresh cream
1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi
50 g butter
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
2 teaspoons powdered sugar or honey
salt, as per taste

4 servings

Wash spinach in plenty of running water to get rid of any dirt, soil or impurities.
Blanch spinach in boiling hot water and refresh in cold water.
Chop and keep aside.
Add chopped green chillies, salt, chopped garlic and corn flour.
Mix well and divide into 12 equal portions.
Grate paneer.
Add salt and mash well.
Divide it into 12 small balls.
Take spinach, flatten it on your palm and stuff paneer balls in it.
Shape it into a ball (kofta).
Deep fry for 5 minutes in moderately hot oil.
Heat butter in a pan.
Add Whole garam masala.
Let it crackle.
Then add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped green chillies.
Cook for 2 minutes.
Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, Garam masala powder, salt in one cup of water.
Bring it to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add sugar or honey or both and kasoori methi.
Stir in fresh cream.
Serve koftas cut into halves on top of makhani gravy.
Do not boil koftas in the gravy.

rsankar
9th June 2006, 05:19 PM
(edit)

ayeshasadique
11th June 2006, 02:51 PM
can anyone please tell me why the soya beans I made (dry one) tastes bitter?
I soaked and cooked it like the other normal beans like rajmah, chick pea etc.......
Fortunately I did not make any dishes out of it, just popped some boiled beans into my mouth and yuck.....what went wrong?

pavalamani pragasam
25th June 2006, 07:37 PM
[tscii:4c1e3bc349]Yesterday I & my dil saw a new fruit in the Big Bazaar(Mumbai), a fruit we have not seen before. Its name is ‘singada’ in Marathi which on googling is found out to be a ‘water chestnut’. It resembles a brinjal although its ‘handle’ is straight. On seeing our curiosity the vendor quickly peeled the outer thick rind to reveal a soft white pulp of a nut! We ate it raw & it tasted good, resembling the ‘kuruththu’ rarely found inside the hard coconut broken for making chutney. Can anyone enlighten me on this rare fruit, what are the recipes made from it, where does it grow, in a tree or plant, whether it has any medicinal property and so on?[/tscii:4c1e3bc349]

dev
25th June 2006, 08:17 PM
water chestnut... it's widely used in chinese cooking, I believe... I've seen it in most groc stores here in SG but never bothered to try it out... Found a few recipes using it...give it a try if U dare,PP mam...;)

http://www.recipezaar.com/95571
http://www.recipezaar.com/56697
http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/desserts/water_chestnut_cake.php

Chk this link as well... it has some info abt wc...
http://www.asiafood.org/glossary_1.cfm?alpha=W&wordid=3320&startno=1&endno=25

I hope U haven't looked thru these sites already...:lol:

pavalamani pragasam
25th June 2006, 10:34 PM
Thanx, dev! I don't think I'm very keen on trying the recipes. It tastes good enough eaten raw. The botanical information in the last link was very enlightening.

dev
26th June 2006, 06:50 AM
PP mam, chk this link as well...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_water_chestnut

it says "If eaten uncooked, the surface of the plants can transmit Fasciolopsiasis."... I'm not sure what Fasciolopsiasis is... pls research & make sure it's not anything harmful...

pavalamani pragasam
26th June 2006, 08:28 AM
Thanx, dev! The link gives more information! It is amazing to think how many new things we keep learning about throughout our life!

rachel
26th June 2006, 10:27 AM
Thanx, dev! The link gives more information! It is amazing to think how many new things we keep learning about throughout our life!

book illae publish pannungo pp akka

pavalamani pragasam
26th June 2006, 11:46 AM
Thanx, Rachel, for the suggestion! Publishing has never had an attraction for me. Just the limited circle of net readers will suffice for me!

rachel
26th June 2006, 12:16 PM
PP akka pola varuma :thumbsup:

pavalamani pragasam
26th June 2006, 01:46 PM
:D

ssanjinika
26th June 2006, 09:52 PM
water chestnuts are awesome in chinese food.Have never tried it in Indian cooking.We usually get it here canned in brine I think.Love the fruit :)

RR
1st August 2006, 11:06 AM
Want to know formulas for dry Indian Spicies like Chana Masala, Kitchen King, Chat Masala,Jal Jeera etc Please tell if there is any book in this regard its name along with the address from where can i get it

Sandeep K. Aggarwal <vayanjanamb@yahoo.co.in>

Alan
5th August 2006, 01:13 PM
Can someone give me the rcipe of Banana Bread? It looks like a brown tea cake after its baked? What variety of banana do you use for the same? Is it Robesta?

Alan
5th August 2006, 01:14 PM
Can someone give me the rcipe of Banana Bread? It looks like a brown tea cake after its baked? What variety of banana do you use for the same? Is it Robesta?

rain
6th August 2006, 10:21 PM
hi alan,

i remember red pepper suggesting a site and recipe which she followed for banana bread. i think it used ripe bananas (standard type). i never got around to making it :( but the site had nice pics. in details.... thought i had saved it but can't find it now why don't you try the baking thread or a search for banana bread ?

good luck.

rain

ayeshasadique
11th August 2006, 10:07 PM
when i try storing ground garlic, the very next day it turns bright green :)
can anyone pls tell me why? and how to prevent this?

RedPepper
14th August 2006, 07:43 AM
when i try storing ground garlic, the very next day it turns bright green :)
can anyone pls tell me why? and how to prevent this?
The green color is the result of oxidization.
Try adding some oil to the ground garlic before you store it. I have never tried storing ground garlic. I make fresh as I need it. But I hav eheard that adding oil helps. Also I have seen bottled minced garlic in stores which is preserved in oil.
Try and see if it works for you.
If you have a microplane zester (http://www.precisionknifesharpening.com/store/images/zester.jpg), it is easy to make a paste of a few cloves of garlic as you need it. Microplane zester is a very fine grater, and when you grate garlic, you will get a fine paste of garlic.
Hope this helps.

Anoushka
14th August 2006, 02:52 PM
What is the difference between different types of perungaayam - powder and block and yellow and grey? which one is the best to use?

Thanks in advance :)

ayeshasadique
15th August 2006, 11:25 AM
thnx red pepper

sowmeia
15th August 2006, 09:32 PM
Hi,

I have been browsing the forum trying to get some reference on how to clean oily vessels. I use a non-stick pan for frying. Can I use vinegar and baking soda to clean it? Also, can I use the same solution to clean oil dispensers?

Thanks in advance.

RR
17th August 2006, 03:09 PM
CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT IS CHUTNEY DHAL?IS IT
POTTU KADALAI OR GRAM DHAL?IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME THANK U.

riya <pspp97@yahoo.co.in>

Anoushka
17th August 2006, 06:29 PM
I think Chutney dal is pottu kadalai, what is Gram dhal by the way? :)

sowmeia
17th August 2006, 06:35 PM
Gramflour is besan or kadalamavu. But there are different types of gram dhal..green gram, blackgram etc

Kz
19th August 2006, 12:52 AM
Need some tips on how to organize food in the freezer. I have lots of ziplock bags with food item, frozen vegetables etc. how do u store them? i usually forget what is there and buy another frozen veg packet.

Kz

RedPepper
20th August 2006, 04:30 AM
Need some tips on how to organize food in the freezer. I have lots of ziplock bags with food item, frozen vegetables etc. how do u store them? i usually forget what is there and buy another frozen veg packet.

Kz

I don't keep a lot of things in the freezer. Just meat, fish items, frozen green peas, bread bagel etc., different types of nuts, puff pastry, ginger, green chillies for emergency, home made tomato sauce/pasta sauce, popsicles....hmmm I think I do have a lot in there! :D
Ok coming back to your query, how about sticking a magnetic dry erase board to the freezer, and keeping a list of what's in there? Erase the items as you take it out. Just my two cents.

dev
20th August 2006, 08:32 AM
Ok coming back to your query, how about sticking a magnetic dry erase board to the freezer, and keeping a list of what's in there? Erase the items as you take it out. Just my two cents.

Def a good idea...:)

Anoushka
21st August 2006, 04:34 PM
I have a sticky pad stuck on the fridge - Just a bunch of post it notes, I keep adding to the list as I notice things missing and then it is easy to take it to the shop and just buy what is needed - another advantage is that I don't buy anything that is not needed :)

sowmeia
21st August 2006, 06:57 PM
Kz,

Here are a few helpful article on how to organize ur kitchen-

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/homegarden/interiors/kitchen/articles/0,,690255_693561,00.html

http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourhouse/factsheets/db/tips/04/411.asp

hope they help

rain
22nd August 2006, 02:29 AM
hi kz,

this happens to me too esp. if a packet is only half used. i forget this and promptly buy a fresh one. i use the giant clips that you get at the store and bunch these half opened pkts together. that way i can maintain some order . these clips r quite handy too even for closing those big chips bags.

rain

Kz
22nd August 2006, 03:27 AM
Thankyou RP, Anoushka, Sowmeia and Rain.

How do u keep them inside the freezer? i stacked them on the freezer door, the new packets are neat to stack on top as they are flat. how do u store home cooked frozen meals?

RedPepper how do u make pasta suaces? i use tomato sauce and some herbs etc but can we freeze the sauce made out of canned tomato suace? how long do u freeze? in ziplocks or containers.
Kz

Anoushka
23rd August 2006, 01:24 AM
Kz: I make white sauce for pasta...

One ounce of butter + one ounce of plain flour (you can also use rice flour) together in the pan, and keep stirring it till you feel it is cooked, to it add a pinch of mustard paste or powder, a tiny bit of tomato sauce and slowly add milk and stir to avoid lumps. Cook well!

dsath
23rd August 2006, 02:32 AM
To add richness to the above sauce, u can add grated cheese after adding all the milk (i don't add tomato sauce to this one). This sauce can be mixed with pasta and some veggies and baked in the oven till the top is golden. My kids love it.

dsath
23rd August 2006, 02:34 AM
For freezing homemade things i generally don't use bags, but some freezer safe boxes that are available in the markets.

Anoushka
23rd August 2006, 04:18 PM
dsath: you are right, I mix the sauce with pasta and veggies add grated nutmeg, dried herbs, etc and put cheese on top and stick it in the oven till golden brown... yum :)

dsath
25th August 2006, 04:35 PM
Can i fry paneer today and use it tomorrow for making the curry?

Kz
26th August 2006, 05:32 AM
Thankyou Anoushka and dsath. will try the white sauce.

dsath, u can store the fried paneer in fridge for next day use.

Kz

pavalamani pragasam
28th August 2006, 02:44 PM
How does the majority of the world likes its egg boiled, hard, soft or half? All 3 categories are in our family loving it boiled for very long, just long enough, just started boiling( the shell can't even be removed, only the white yolk would have started to thicken, the shell is partially opened like a cup & the contents eaten with a spoon!!!).

What is the optimum time for boiling an egg?

Anoushka
28th August 2006, 06:03 PM
PP madam :) I don't eat egg anymore, but I used to love the soft or half boiled ones where I could just open the top bit of the shell and scoop the rest of the egg out :) I also love spanish omlettes :)

Anoushka
11th September 2006, 04:23 PM
Anyone know where I can use mace & star anise? I have plenty of that and I don't know what to do with them... thanks :)

pavalamani pragasam
11th September 2006, 09:43 PM
Mace goes well with all sweets like halwa, kesari, jaggery pongal. A pinch added to beeda is great!

pavalamani pragasam
11th September 2006, 10:11 PM
What is star anise? Do you mean 'anaasipoo'? It is an inseparable, almost, spice from cinnamon & cloves when we prepare masala paste or for whole masala seasoning .

Anoushka
12th September 2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks pp madam :) I think star anise is anaasipoo, it has a strong smell and smells somewhat like saunf. I'll try your suggestion the next time :)

dev
13th September 2006, 12:51 PM
I bought a packet of fresh sunakkai... But I don't have any recipe on hand which uses sundakkai... can anyone pls post a recipe for Sundakkai kulambu???...

pavalamani pragasam
13th September 2006, 03:24 PM
Oil mithakkum poondu, vengaayam thaaLiththa kaduku poriththa pulikkuzambu yummy!

dsath
13th September 2006, 04:49 PM
Dev, Ayesha had given her mom's recipe for Sunddaikai kuzhambu here http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=6512

tint
14th September 2006, 03:38 AM
what is sundakkai called in english?Also please let me know what these kerala veggies are called in u.s?
padavalanga,kumblanga,mathanga.chena

thanks

dev
14th September 2006, 06:49 AM
:) @ PP mam...

Thanks dsath... am gonna try it out today... Got my mom's recipe as well, y'day... not sure which one I'll try...:thinking:

dev
14th September 2006, 07:10 AM
what is sundakkai called in english?Also please let me know what these kerala veggies are called in u.s?
padavalanga,kumblanga,mathanga.chena

thanks

padavalanga- Snake gourd

kumblanga- I guess it's the big cucumber...not too sure

mathanga- pumpkin

chenai- yam

RedPepper
14th September 2006, 08:08 AM
kumbalanga is ashgourd (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=ashgourd) I guess.

sangeetha_me
14th September 2006, 10:46 PM
Hey..what is Plain flour? Is it the same as Maida or is it different?

rain
15th September 2006, 09:16 AM
hi,

kumblanga in U.S stores is also found as winter squash.

All purpose flour is maida not so sure about plain flour.

btw, what is sundakkai in english or other lang?

dev
15th September 2006, 10:14 AM
hi,

btw, what is sundakkai in english or other lang?

It's called "turkey berry" in english... chk these links...
http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/soltor.html
http://www.fs.fed.us/global/iitf/pdf/shrubs/Solanum%20torvum.pdf#search=%22Turkey%20Berry%22

give it a try if U get fresh ones... sundakkai kulambu is very tasty... made it y'day(mom's recipe) & we just loved it...

rain
16th September 2006, 01:08 AM
thanks dev :) for the info. and link. i will keep a lookout for this veggie now.

rain

Anoushka
18th September 2006, 12:53 PM
Dev, unga ammavOda sundakkai recipe inga post paNNungaLEn please :)

dev
18th September 2006, 01:11 PM
[tscii:ab0f5e8bce]Kandippa Anou... here's the recipe...

Sundakkai kolambu(Mom's recipe)

Fry in 1/2 a tsp of oil(gingelly oil) until golden & fragrant & grind to a fine paste:
kadalai paruppu-1 tbsp
jeera- 1 tsp
cori.seeds-2 tsp
venthayam-1/4 tsp
pepper corns- ˝ tsp
dry chillies- 2
curry leaves- 1 sprig
coconut- 2 tbsp

perungayam powder- no need to fry

Pan fry the sundakkai(slit) in around 2 spoons of oil until it turns whitish. Add the extract of an amla sized tamarind & let boil.(needn't boil for long) Add the paste & cook(let boil for sometime-say 15 mins or so until the sundakkai is cooked). Add 1/2 - 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp coconut oil, rice flour-1tsp or as req. chk seasoning & adjust. Let boil for a couple of mins again until raw smell of rice flour is gone & a nice aroma is released. Serve with plain rice.

Note:
Measurements are not very accurate... pls use your own judgement... Mom just told me the ingredients & I made it to the above measures... Serves 2...
the addition of sugar give a nice taste to this curry... it also offsets the bitter taste of sundakkai...You should be able to taste the sweetness of sugar, the sourness of tamarind the heat from chillies... should be bit spicy...
Cooking it on low flame for a longer time gives the best result(atleast the last 5 mins)...
You can take it off flame once the house is filled with a nice aroma of the curry...;) :)
Don't make this curry too thin...[/tscii:ab0f5e8bce]

bingleguy
18th September 2006, 01:13 PM
Dev ... fried sundakkai yaa ?illai pachai yaa ?

i prefer pachai sundakkai arai puli kuzhambu :-)