PDA

View Full Version : Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

dev
18th September 2006, 01:15 PM
Dev ... fried sundakkai yaa ?illai pachai yaa ?

i prefer pachai sundakkai arai puli kuzhambu :-)

it's the fresh pachai sundakkai...

bingleguy
18th September 2006, 01:19 PM
wow !

i believe we have to break open the sundakkai before cooking it ... i dont know why they do it .... ?

can u tell me dev ?

dev
18th September 2006, 01:21 PM
Hey,

I bought a BIG bunch of vallarai keerai y'day...couldn't find a smaller bunch... I make only chutney out of it... Any other recipes using vallarai pls...

dev
18th September 2006, 01:25 PM
wow !

i believe we have to break open the sundakkai before cooking it ... i dont know why they do it .... ?

can u tell me dev ?

yeah... I slit it into 2 before cooking... I guess it's to fasten the cooking process & maybe to get a better taste & aroma of the sundakkai in whatever dish that u make...

& for those new to sundakkai, pls keep it immersed in water after it's cut, as it tends to turn dark otherwise...

bingleguy
18th September 2006, 01:28 PM
ennai yil vadhakkiya pirangu ....
ulumtham paruppu ... molaga vathal... perungayam vechu .... thogaiyal pannalaam dev ......

infact vallarai keerai moooolaikku nalladhu

bingleguy
18th September 2006, 01:30 PM
ya .... tis important to keep sundakkai immersed in water ..... also instead of slitting it one by one ... u can even choose to spread it in a plate and hit it to break it open with some object ....... this will reduce time ! wat say dev ?

dev
18th September 2006, 01:44 PM
ya .... tis important to keep sundakkai immersed in water ..... also instead of slitting it one by one ... u can even choose to spread it in a plate and hit it to break it open with some object ....... this will reduce time ! wat say dev ?

yeah... but I like to slit it, though it takes time...especially if it is pinju sundakkai...

dev
18th September 2006, 01:51 PM
ulumtham paruppu ... molaga vathal... perungayam vechu .... thogaiyal pannalaam dev ......

Thanks BG... mom used to make a raw chutney...ie vallarai keeraiyay vadhakaamal... will try out ur recipe too... should I add onion, garlic, tamarind,coconut to it?...

here's my mom's recipe...

Vallarai chutney:

20-25 vallarai leaves. No stem pls. 6/7 pearl onions, 1 piece garlic, 2 tbsp coconut, 1 small ball of tamarind.
Dry fry 1 tbsp of thuvar dhal & 1 or 2 dry chillies until reddish. Grind the above & the fried stuffs with salt to a bit coarse paste. Goes well with dosai, white rice & most of the variety rice...I like it with chapathis too...

Anoushka
18th September 2006, 02:05 PM
thanks for the recipe dev :)

dev
18th September 2006, 02:13 PM
Most welcome, Anou...

BG, just called up mom & she told me that we can use vallarai keerai in paruppu... like we make methi dhal etc... have u ever tried this?...

ayeshasadique
18th September 2006, 02:18 PM
whats the english term for vallarai?

dev
18th September 2006, 02:22 PM
ayesha, chk this link... u can see a pic + an article on vallarai...
http://www.hinduonnet.com/mag/2002/08/04/stories/2002080400450700.htm

dev
19th September 2006, 11:36 AM
Made chutney out of valalrai & had it with 'aval'... yummy!!!... the valalrai I got here had a different smell when I cleaned it... the leaves were dark green & thicker than the ones we get in India... Initially, I doubted if it really is valalrai... but proceeded on to make the chutney... the chutney tasted exactly like what I have had in India... so, kindof confirmed it's vallarai...:)

is there diff varieties in vallarai keerai?... still wondering Y it has a diff smell & texture!!!...

Hmmm... still have a BIG bunch... I used up not even 1/10th of the bunch y'day... wondering if I'll use up the rest without wasting... Any recipe that uses LOTS of vallarai or those that can be preserved for sometime?...

dev
20th September 2006, 08:16 AM

Hey BG, made vallarai thuvaiyal-ur style, y'day... just loved it... Thanks for the recipe...:)

No new vallarai recipes so far... I guess I'll have to make chutney/thuvaiyal everyday for the next 10 days to finish off that bunch... :roll:

Anoushka
20th September 2006, 01:22 PM
Dev: I'll check my file and see if there is anything that can be made out of vallarai :) in the mean time you can send me some vallarai thuvayal :)

dev
20th September 2006, 03:44 PM
Dev: I'll check my file and see if there is anything that can be made out of vallarai :) in the mean time you can send me some vallarai thuvayal :)

:D Sure, Anou... :wink:

Alan
20th September 2006, 07:15 PM
Can someone give me a tip to sustain the greeness of palak while cooking?

dsath
20th September 2006, 07:48 PM
Don't cook it too long. Cook till it is lightly blanched or add it in the end.
Generally lime and its juice are used to retain the colour of any vegetable once its cut. It may work for cooking/cooked vegetables as well - can anyone confirm this please?

Alan
20th September 2006, 10:21 PM
Thanku dev & dsath- I'll try the lime juice trick & let you know

Anoushka
21st September 2006, 03:56 AM
Dev: unfortunately I have only recipe for vallarai keerai thovayal in my file!

as per the recipe here (aval vikatan)

1 cup keerai
1 cup pearl onion,
8 pods garlic
3 tomatoes
gooseberry sized tamarind ball
salt as reqd
1tsp mustard
2 tsp urid dal
6 red chilli
2 tbsp table spoon

clean the green leaves and set aside...
Heat the oil in the kadai, add mustard and urid dal for seasoning, add red chilli, onion, garlic and the green leaves. In the end add salt and tamarind and stir and remove from heat. Once cold, make a paste and it will be ready to eat :)

dev
21st September 2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks, Anou... Now this is a diff thuvayal recipe with onion, garlic, tomato & stuffs... Will try it out today... Thanks again,Anou...:)

Alan
21st September 2006, 11:15 AM
Is there any thread in the Food Section that aims at nutritional cooking, which means loss of minimal nutrients while cooking? Could someone 'bump' that thread for me in case there is one. Thanks!

dev
21st September 2006, 11:21 AM
Is there any thread in the Food Section that aims at nutritional cooking, which means loss of minimal nutrients while cooking? Could someone 'bump' that thread for me in case there is one. Thanks!

Alan, the simple rule is steam cooked or stir fried,half-cooked vegs retain more nutrients than deep fried or overcooked vegs... If you can grow or buy your own organic vegs, u can try to eat them raw... U'll be able to benefit a lot as most nutrients r intact...

Alan
21st September 2006, 11:34 AM
Thankyou dev- I did try Vegetable gardening for a while but gave it up because I had to use insecticides for the plant diseases. So then, what was the point?

dev
22nd September 2006, 06:51 AM
Anou, tried your version of vallarai thuvayal... it went well with dosai & chapathi too... Thanks for the recipe...:)

Anoushka
22nd September 2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks Dev :)

Shoba
25th September 2006, 08:43 AM
Can someone give me a tip to sustain the greeness of palak while cooking?

Alan, once you wash and chop up the greens, add turmeric & a pinch of soda bicarb or wet lime (chunnaambu, which is used for smearing betel leaves)..and enough water and cook with the vessel closed. The "pinch" is really, really a pinch..at the most it'll occupy the very tip of a teaspoon! Try using a maththu (wooden churner, have you seen the contraption they use for separating butter from curd? Looks somethihg like that but without the grooves. It should be available in any old fashioned crockery shop) to mash the green. It tastes better than using a mixie to grind up the greens.

If you want to retain the colour of vegetables while cooking, turmeric does the trick. Add it once you place the vegetables in the pot. Of course, not over cooking also helps..

Shoba

Nichiro
25th September 2006, 04:56 PM
Shoba,

You might be wrong.

Only adding a little sugar in Greens before cooking retains the colour. I use this trick for green peas, Beans etc also. Try adding some and let me know.

Nichiro

Shoba
25th September 2006, 06:28 PM
Shoba,

You might be wrong.

Only adding a little sugar in Greens before cooking retains the colour. I use this trick for green peas, Beans etc also. Try adding some and let me know.

Nichiro

Adding sugar might be an alternative way...but I dont think I'm wrong Nichiro, as I've been doing what I advised, for the last 16 years...and it has worked without any problems...

Shoba

Nichiro
26th September 2006, 04:57 PM
I used your method in early seventies but since learning this Sugar trick, I found that sugar gives natural bright green colour and actually enhances green colour. Try it.

Alan
28th September 2006, 05:18 PM
A diet question: I am allowed only Marie biscuits, as I am on a diet. But since I love biscuits, I've been really hogging on these- I eat like 6-7 of them in a go- Q: Will I gain weight if I eat Marie Biscuits like this?

Shoba
28th September 2006, 07:42 PM
A diet question: I am allowed only Marie biscuits, as I am on a diet. But since I love biscuits, I've been really hogging on these- I eat like 6-7 of them in a go- Q: Will I gain weight if I eat Marie Biscuits like this?

Alan, the packaging usually indicates % & grammage of carbo, fats etc., Check the label to see for per serving how much fat there is, and from there you'll know.

If you're hogging, is it bcoz your stomach is hungry or your mouth is hungry-I'm not joking, by the way..

Shoba

Alan
29th September 2006, 09:41 AM
Yes, I understand- I should be having just 2 but I keep having these- I think I have lost my will power- *sigh*- I love munching , so I guess the mouth or rather the 'mind' is 'hungry! lol!

RR
3rd October 2006, 12:49 PM
Iam planning to buy a good microwave oven..I would like to know the diffences between convection and an OTG microwave oven and what kind of jobs can each of them do? please help me know about this

priya chandrasekar <priya271177@hotmail.com>

Anoushka
6th October 2006, 01:55 PM
Dev: I tried your Mom's sundakkai kuzhambu recipe and it came out well :) Thanks

dev
6th October 2006, 03:06 PM
glad U liked it, Anou...:)

dsath
20th October 2006, 05:06 PM
I made some murruku and left some of the maavu in the fridge and it became sour. Can i do something else with the maavu or just throw it in the bin?

Nichiro
23rd October 2006, 07:34 AM
No problem dsath,

Add a pinch of soda if the mavu is less , a little more if it is more. Mix it well . Prepare the murukkus as you did before. They will come out crisp and will taste good and not sour.
Nichiro

dsath
23rd October 2006, 04:00 PM
Many thanks Nichiro. Will try it out today.

Alan
17th December 2006, 06:40 PM
I have made aloo palak just twice and both the times it came out well except for the 'raw taste' of palak.

I boiled the Palak (not in Pressure Cooker)really well, ground it and then added to the spluttered jeera & sauted onions and again stirred for 20-25 mts. Then added the masalas , water and boiled potato pieces and kept on fire until the mixture boiled really well. Yet, it has a slight raw taste of Palak but the Aloo Palak or Paneer Palak got from hotels do not have this taste.

What is that I must've missed to add?

Alan
20th December 2006, 10:36 AM
Hello! peekaboo! :D

Alan
22nd December 2006, 12:10 PM
Why isn't anyone coming to my rescue? ayesha, dev, Redpepper?

dev
22nd December 2006, 04:00 PM
Sorry Alan... I have no clue what goes wrong with ur palak recipe... :roll:

Alan
22nd December 2006, 07:56 PM
I had some hope u would be of help, dev! Why isn't the raw taste going away? Do u add lemon juice or something?

dev
22nd December 2006, 10:29 PM
try this recipe(by Ayesha)...

PALAK PANEER

spinach - 1 bunch, cooked and pureed
oil/ghee - 4 tbsp
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
onion - 1, chopped
tomato - 1, chopped
ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
chilli powder - 1 tsp
paneer cubes - 1 cup
ginger juliennes

1. heat oil and add cumin, add onion and ginger garlic pastes.
2. when brown, add the tomato and spices.
3. when tomato is cooked add the puree and paneer. cook for 2 minutes.
4. garnish and serve hot with rotis
note:
variations can be made to make it a miloni subzi by adding one or more / all of the following:
sweet corn
capsicum
mixed vegetables

RedPepper
23rd December 2006, 08:05 PM
Hmmm I've had raw taste of onions before but not raw taste of palak. Now I use finely minced onion instead of onion paste. That solves my problem. Try blanching the leaves a little longer and see if it solves your problem.

Alan
26th December 2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah, should try that.........I wasn't boiling too much so as to retain the nutrients in palak esp iron.

Alan
23rd January 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, B has taken a sudden fancy for idlis. She's eating idlis for breakfast & dinner. We used to buy the ready-to-make idli batter because we don't have a grinder.
But because she's preg, I don't want to buy ready-made batter.
Can someone advise the corect ratio:proportion of rice & urad dal and also the soaking & fermenting time. Also, is it ok to grind the rice & dal in a mixie?

Thanks Everyone!

sanravi
25th January 2007, 07:45 AM
Hi

I used to make idli in the ratio of 5:1, 5 cups rice and 1 cup urad dhal whole.
grind finely and after fermentation, next day mix it bfr use and then remember the batter should not be too thick which gives u harder idli and the batter should not be tooo thin, if so the idli will be like dosa, means that thin..

just steam for 10mns to get softer idlis

and if the quantity of urad dhal whole is too much,then idli will be very soft and thin and if the quantity of dal is low , idli will be hard.

Grinding idli batter in mixie doesnt work with me, i didnt get softer idlis when i make batter in mixie, better use grinder.

hope this helps

san

Sowmya
25th January 2007, 08:34 AM
Hi Alan
Congrats!I am really touched to see your motherly affection towards your wife. :thumbsup:
Yes.. actually you can grind idli batter in a mixie.I do it.
Some tips:
1.Make sure it is a mixer grinder which supports some heavy duty grinding cos the motor gets hot and needs constant monitoring.

2.The ratio of rice:urad dhal is 2:1.You need to use more urad compared to wet grinder grinding ratio to get soft idlis.

The remaining proc is the same.. fermentation etc

Regards
Sowmya

dev
25th January 2007, 09:32 AM
Tip to make soft idlis: soak a handful of thin poha for 10 mins & add to the rice-dhal & grind it... don't add too much, else the idlis will be way too soft to handle...

I used to make idli batter with 3:1 ratio if using mixie & 5:1 if using grinder... Soak rice for 4-5 hrs & dhal for 45 mins...

Alan
26th January 2007, 02:29 PM
Thankyou so much everyone!!!! Will try out this new ratio soon. :-)

Also, can u tell me where(previous threads- I assume Mrs. Mano's threads) I can find different kinds of chutneys for idli/dosa.

dev
26th January 2007, 03:48 PM
Please refer to the Index thread, Alan...

Alan
27th January 2007, 02:03 PM
ok, thanks dev.

Sowmya
6th February 2007, 06:06 PM
Tip to make soft idlis: soak a handful of thin poha for 10 mins & add to the rice-dhal & grind it... don't add too much, else the idlis will be way too soft to handle...

Dear Dev
That was a great tip.. tried it and my idlis matched the restuarant ones :yes:
My dosas were very good too and did not stick to the kal .I could spread the batter uniformly and got real big dosas. :ty:

Regards
Sowmya

dev
7th February 2007, 07:19 AM
Happy tht the tip was of use to U, Sowmya!!!... :)

mickey
15th February 2007, 05:22 PM
hi i am trying to make idiyappam but i dont hav here the idiyappam press/mould for making idiyappam.can anyone pls tell the any other way to make idiyappam than the instant one which we buy at shops.

Alan
18th February 2007, 02:03 PM
Is it safe to use infested green gram/moong dal? Its got a white powdery stuff in it and it has black insects that surface on top when soaked. Will washing thoroughly and boiling it make it safe to eat?

dev
18th February 2007, 04:24 PM
Should be ok... try placing the dhal on a sheet of paper under hot sun... the insects will go away... Dry roast it & store in a clean jar to avoid it getting infested... or place a few bay leaves along with it...

Alan
18th February 2007, 06:25 PM
thanks dev:-)

ayeshasadique
21st February 2007, 07:29 PM
my mom in law adds a hand ful of sago to the idli batter while grinding and they turn out plump and soft...she says she got the tip from a restaurant waiter, they are called khushboo idlis :))

ayeshasadique
21st February 2007, 07:30 PM
soaked sago, that is..

Alan
27th February 2007, 09:30 AM
Home-made garam masala powder- I searched the entire Recipe Index but could not find it!!!!

dev
27th February 2007, 10:58 AM
Alan, try a google search & U'll get lots of recipes... Just take it as a guide & adjust qty to ur taste...

Here's Tarla dalal's recipe...
http://www.tarladalal.com/Recipe.asp?id=163

Alan
27th February 2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks Ayesha!

hi
27th February 2007, 11:59 AM
Hi all,

- I wud like to know how to remove oil frm utensils...?? Do i need to rub with lemon?

dev
27th February 2007, 02:10 PM
Enna oil from enna utensil,Anjali?... Do u meant some burnt stuff?... If U want to clean oil bottle or something of tht sort, try vinegar...

hi
27th February 2007, 02:17 PM
Enna oil from enna utensil,Anjali?... Do u meant some burnt stuff?... If U want to clean oil bottle or something of tht sort, try vinegar...

Dev, i used knife oil, it's a copper bottom utensil, sticky ah iruku even after washing several times

Nichiro
27th February 2007, 08:38 PM
Home-made garam masala powder- I searched the entire Recipe Index but could not find it!!!!

Alan,

You can try my recipe

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/powder/garam-masala.html

Nichiro

dev
28th February 2007, 03:37 PM

Dev, i used knife oil, it's a copper bottom utensil, sticky ah iruku even after washing several times

Try soaking it in water-vinegar mix for sometime & scrub. Might help. Not too sure. :roll:

Anoushka
23rd March 2007, 04:33 PM
anyone knows where to get "maasi" in London/UK

Thanks in advance!

dev
23rd March 2007, 06:39 PM
Anou, what's maasi???!!!... ethuku use pannuvanga athai???....

Anoushka
23rd March 2007, 07:43 PM
dev: maasi is dry tuna, adhai kal uppu, kaanja miLagai, thEngai, chinna venagayam pOttu idichi adhai side dish maathiri saapiduvaanga...

In India we get it in Tirunelveli side and Lakshadweep... I think it comes from Srilanka. :)

Kavitha Ravi
23rd March 2007, 10:58 PM
Anu try this way. Break it into small pieces. Then dry roast it.
After that pound it nicely.
Add onions cut into small pieces.
Green chillie cut into small pieces.
Mix everything, add a dash of lime juice.
Now you can use it as a side dish.

dev
24th March 2007, 10:50 PM
Oh...I C... thanks,Anou...

Anoushka
25th March 2007, 12:16 AM
Kavitha: thanks for the recipe.... I like it the way my Mom makes it with coconut, red chilli, kal uppu and chinna vengaayam, goes well with kanji, rice, idli, dosa, idiappam, etc... :) the only thing is I don't know where to get it from in UK. I know it is not available in London, I heard it is available in UK but don't know where...

sivank
25th March 2007, 12:55 AM
Anoushka, Have tried in one of the Srilankan shops. They are crazy about Maasi.

Anoushka
29th March 2007, 01:47 PM
thanks sivank :) will try asking my friends...

dev
30th March 2007, 08:42 PM
Hi,

Wondering how useful a chapathi maker is!!!... How easy is it to make chapathis using it?... any suggestions/feedbacks?... How much does it cost(220v) & any ideas where I can find it in singapore?...

Shanthy
31st March 2007, 01:01 PM
Hi Dev
It is very useful. I just make the dough and leave it to rest. Roll into small balls and put each ball in the heated chapathi maker then press. Leave it until the chapathi puffs up then remove it from the plate. Takes about two to three minutes. I bought it in Mustafas Singapore, couldn't remember the price. It is very useful to make snacks like thadai as well.

pavalamani pragasam
31st March 2007, 01:07 PM
Long ago I received one as a prize in Vikadan's JOLLY DAY contests! It never worked well for me! :cry3: Only sutta 'appalam' like chappathis in spite of trying a variety of dough-kneading techniques & tips! Never got automatically puffing chappathis like in the ads or got by my sister & sister-in-law who had bought it in the shop!

dev
31st March 2007, 02:18 PM
oh... thanks Shanthy... I will look out for it in Mustafa... BTW, which brand is it that U have?...& what is thadai?... how to make it using chapathi maker???!!!...Does the chapathi stay soft even after it becomes cold or is it soft only when hot?...

PP mam, did ur sis or SIL try using ur chapathi maker?... didn't it work for them too?... which brand do you have & which brand do ur sis & SIL have?...

pavalamani pragasam
31st March 2007, 08:29 PM
My sil tried it as also my dil. No use. I don't remember the brand. I suppose there is only one popular one. I have a doubt that the sponsors get defective pieces & show off giving out costly prizes!!!

pavalamani pragasam
1st April 2007, 08:14 AM
'Chefmaster' is the brand name, I think. Not sure!

dev
1st April 2007, 12:34 PM
My sil tried it as also my dil. No use. I don't remember the brand. I suppose there is only one popular one. I have a doubt that the sponsors get defective pieces & show off giving out costly prizes!!!

Oh... okay... Thanks PP mam... will try looking out for chefmaster brand...:)

Shanthy
1st April 2007, 12:45 PM
[tscii:3768aadccd]Hi Dev
Chapathi maker I have is also Chefmaster. I make a batch of chapahi dough, make small balls and keep it in a container in the fridge. It is easy to make it whenever you want. As soon as you make the chapthis always put it in a plate and cover it with a wet tea towel to keep them soft. You can pile up the chapthis and cover it.

Recipe for Thaddai
Roasted rice flour 2 cups, Poddu kadalai flour ½ cup, Urid flour 1/4 cup, salt, chilli powder to taste, Ghee 1t sp optional.
Mix all the ingredients and make stiff dough with water. Make small balls and use the hot chapathi maker to press like a small disk. If you press lightly you get a thick thaddai and press harder to get thin ones. Take it off as soon as you pressed. Leave the chapathi maker on until the whole batch is finished. This will leave a semi dried thaddai. Make them all and fry them in hot oil. Since it is already half cooked it doesn’t take too much oil.
[/tscii:3768aadccd]

dev
2nd April 2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks,Shanthy... will lookout for chefmaster...:)

dev
4th April 2007, 08:37 PM
Hi,

what is the diff between a convectional oven tht has turbo fan & one that doesn't have turbo fan?... any ideas???!!!...

sivank
4th April 2007, 08:46 PM
[tscii:ae264d932e]Hi Dev,

I don´t know how you cook in S´pore hot plate or gas fire. Normally in Germany if you have an oven with Turbofan it is used to circulate hotair in the oven and the food can be
cooked faser and crispier. The hot air oven what I have van also grill.

I hope it is ok.[/tscii:ae264d932e]

dev
5th April 2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks Sivank... I'm looking for a portable oven & not a built-in oven... :)

sangeetha_me
4th May 2007, 11:43 PM
hi

I have a basic doubt. I normally gring flour separately for idli and dosa. For idli I add only Bolied rice and urad dal and a spoonful of methi seeds and grind. I let it fermet for about 8 hours or so..it comes out fantastic..very soft idlis

But for dosa i add a little boiled rice and a little raw rice along with urad dal. The results are good. But I was wondering if i should let the dosa maavu ferment too. I normally do ferment it.. but should you?

Thanks

dev
5th May 2007, 08:49 PM
No doubt you should ferment dosa batter aswell...

Tharuna
22nd May 2007, 11:45 AM
hi sangeetha,

i use the same batter for idli and dosa. i use mixie to make the batter. This is how i make the batter.
Soak 4 cups of ponni boiled rice with a tsp fenugreek seeds and 1 cup of urad dal overnight. next morning u can grind the urad dal first and then the rice with fenugreek seeds. mix the two batters. i get soft idlis and very good dosas.

Anoushka
22nd May 2007, 02:37 PM
I add a handful of aval / poha (and also a handful of cooked rice) to the rice and I get lovely dosas/idlis... :)

Tharuna
24th May 2007, 06:58 AM
hi all,
i've got some puff pastry this week and i have'nt done any veg puffs before. could anyone tell me how to make good veg puffs with it. thanx in advance.

ayeshasadique
24th May 2007, 01:47 PM
VEGETABLE PUFFS

i hope u are talking of frozen pastry....
thaw , roll out and then cut into squares or the shape u want...

filling:
Boiled Potatoes - 3, mashed
Green Peas - 1/2 cup, if using fresh, cook beforehand

(u can also use a mix of veggies)
(boiled eggs cut into half can also be used / or u can chop the eggs, mix with ur veggies and use)

Oil - 2 tbsp
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Onion - 1, chopped
Green Chillies - 2 or as needed, chopped
Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 2 to 3 pinches
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp.
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
cumin powder - 1/4 tsp

Coriander leaves chopped - 1 tbsp
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste

1. Heat oil and add cumin seeds to splutter.
2. Add onion ,ginger-garlic paste,green chillies and salt and saute.
3. Add all the masala powders and fry. Add mashed potatoes and green peas and mix well.
4. add coriander leaves and lemon juice.Mix well and keep aside.
Now just put the filling in the rolled out pastry sheets . After the filling is done fold it over and stick the ends together using water .
5. brush with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 15 to 20 minutes.

kb
25th May 2007, 08:08 PM
while doing to potato fry.. is it necessary to boil the potato before frying??..

i tried without boiling it went on for 45 min but the taste was really gud..

what i do:
1)peel potatoes.. cut into small pieces..
2)heat oil in vaanoli and fry potatoes.. add chilli powder and salt.

what shud i add extra to make the taste different..
sila veetla .. oru maargama seyraanga.. remba nalla irrundhuchi..

i have also seen in some houses they add turmeric.. what else shud i add
:roll:

Anoushka
25th May 2007, 08:57 PM
kb: I make potatoes a few different ways, one is what you said with turmeric as well...

One way is - boil potatoes, and then add oil in the frying pan, add all the seasoning ingrediants like mustard, curry leaves, urid dal, perungayam, etc, ginger - garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, fry a bit and add the chopped boiled potatoes.... add salt and mix it well till cooked properly, you can add peas to this too...

Or you can boil potatoes (don't over cook them)... cut them into wedges, add oil to the frying pan, add chilli, turmeric and corriander powder, fry a bit, add the wedges and fry well and crispy and add salt to it...

kb
25th May 2007, 10:12 PM
thanks .. i will try the second one :D :D

Tharuna
26th May 2007, 11:24 AM
hi ayesha,
i meant the frozen pastry only. thanx for ur recipe. will try it out asap .

Tharuna
31st May 2007, 08:56 AM
tiffin box lunches : i always wonder what to pack for my hubby's lunch. foods like sambar rice, kulambu rice are tasteless when they are mixed in the morning and taken during lunchtime .Mixed rices(tomato rice, lemon rice etc) cannot be given on a daily basis. (once a week, maybe). can anybody suggest some nutritious rice varieties for packed lunches?.
Any other ideas?

ayeshasadique
2nd June 2007, 03:51 PM
bought something called "diabetic brown rice"

grains looked long, so tried making pulao as normally done, found out they were not cooked, when cooked some more, turned out mushy, but alas still seemed not cooked when eaten; kind of like eating whole boiled wheat... :(
any help here?

Tharuna
7th June 2007, 12:17 PM
hi all,
no suggestions for my tiffin box lunch :cry:

ajaybaskar
7th June 2007, 12:45 PM
while doing to potato fry.. is it necessary to boil the potato before frying??..

i tried without boiling it went on for 45 min but the taste was really gud..

what i do:
1)peel potatoes.. cut into small pieces..
2)heat oil in vaanoli and fry potatoes.. add chilli powder and salt.

what shud i add extra to make the taste different..
sila veetla .. oru maargama seyraanga.. remba nalla irrundhuchi..

i have also seen in some houses they add turmeric.. what else shud i add
:roll:

Vaanoli means Radio. Its vaanali.. :D

dev
7th June 2007, 01:01 PM
hi all,
no suggestions for my tiffin box lunch :cry:

How abt kitchadi(diff dhal+rice combos) varieties + some veg subzi, veg pulavs+ steamed dhals(like sundal) etc... You can also try carrot rice, cabbage rice , beetroot rice etc... Chapathis with semi dry curries/dhals are good for lunch box...

Tharuna
14th June 2007, 10:39 AM
thanx dev will try out what u mentioned

Sanguine Sridhar
23rd August 2007, 08:57 AM
Guys,

"Ulundhu" is good for health? Can anybody give me the calorie content in it?

Sanguine Sridhar
24th August 2007, 09:55 AM
Nobody there to answer my question :huh:

Wibha
24th August 2007, 09:56 AM
ur question needs lotta thinking :oops: i think :?

Sanguine Sridhar
24th August 2007, 09:59 AM
ok :lol2:

rockydeva
24th August 2007, 10:06 AM
Guys,

It is very nutritious and is recommended for diabetics, as are other pulses. Though very beneficial in limited quantities excessive intake causes flatulence, which some sources claim can be prevented by adding a little asafoetida, pepper and ginger in the cultinary preparations

Source - wikipedia

Sanguine Sridhar
24th August 2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks RD! :P

Mrs.Mano
24th August 2007, 11:23 AM
[tscii:9c9c5fa619]Dear Sanguine Sridhar!

Black gram is actually good for health. As it has highly protein contents, it should be combined with other cereals to make food varieties like Idli, dosai, kanji etc. It helps to lower the cholesterol levels as well as the diabetics. It is a very good natural medicine for the urine infection. Black gram must be soaked in lots of water for an hour. If you drink the soaked water, the urine infection will immediately disappear! In native place, mothers will make ‘Kali’ with it and jaggery and give it to the teenage girls so that their hip bones will become stronger and be helpful in their delivery time.
[/tscii:9c9c5fa619]

dev
24th August 2007, 11:50 AM
Guys,

most of the dhals have abt 350kcal for every 100 gms(raw,uncooked)... for more info chk http://waltonfeed.com/self/ntr6.html

Very informative...please read...
http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2000/document/DIETGD.pdf

Sanguine Sridhar
28th August 2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks a lot Mrs.Mano and Dev! :)

NOV
2nd September 2007, 09:44 AM
is shortening good to use in somosa pastry???
is a pasta maker good for rolling dough???
any other alternatives in making somosa batch of 80???

pavalamani pragasam
17th October 2007, 08:42 PM
Once I saw an easy, interesting recipe for making mysore pak in microwave oven in this section. I forgot to copy it. Can anyone please help me find it?

dev
18th October 2007, 08:43 AM
[tscii:dd37cc0bee]Easy and quick Mysore pak:

Gram (besan) flour – 4 spoons
Sugar – 8 spoons
Ghee – 5 to 6 spoons
Milk (condensed/evaproated/half and half/ regular whole milk) – 2 spoons

Fry gram flour in microwave for 45 to 50 secs.

Mix flour and sugar and then add ghee followed my milk, mix everything and then keep in microwave for 2min 15 secs.

Once done immediately transfer it into a plate which is already coated with a layer of ghee. And after 5 mns make pieces even though it has not solidified completely.

Leave it outside or in freezer for 5 mns and take out the pieces.

Soft mysorepak ready, if u need hard mysorepak keep it for few more secs.
Easy and quick sweet ready in 10 mns.

I tried this recipe but it still had the raw smell & taste of kadalai maavu... I guess I shouldve roasted it for few more secs... adjust the timings depending on ur MW power...:)[/tscii:dd37cc0bee]

pavalamani pragasam
18th October 2007, 08:46 AM
Thank you very much, dev! I am beginning to chart out an easy plan for a grand Diwali!!!

dev
18th October 2007, 09:00 AM
Oh!!!... Idhai ellam vida easy kadaila vaanguradhu...;) :lol:

Chk out these links,
http://vcuisine.blogspot.com/2007/10/chocolate-pista-rolls-chocolate-and.html
http://vcuisine.blogspot.com/search?q=palgova
http://cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com/2007/09/microwave-easy-cooking-with-sweets.html

pavalamani pragasam
18th October 2007, 09:22 AM
:noteeth:

yosh
16th January 2008, 07:11 AM
I am planning to make Arasi Adai ( Never make before). Can someone help me to translate these ingredients in Tamil or Malay. :oops:
channa dal, thoor dal,urad dal , Hing and Haldi.

NOV
16th January 2008, 09:18 AM
Can someone help me to translate these ingredients in Tamil or Malay. :oops:

channa dal = konda kadalai
thoor dal = thuvaram paruppu
urad dal = ulundhu
Hing = big wound = perungaayam :lol:
Haldi = manjal

NM
16th January 2008, 09:19 AM
why 'big wound' maams? :roll:

yosh
16th January 2008, 09:22 AM
Thank you Nov and NM. :notworthy:

NOV
16th January 2008, 09:27 AM
why 'big wound' maams? :roll:peru = big
kaayam = wound

:sigh2:

NM
16th January 2008, 09:29 AM
Oh, thanks. :D I thought it can be used for healing big wounds :oops: :oops:

RedPepper
18th January 2008, 01:36 AM
Hi Dev, how do you roast flour in a microwave? wouldn't it easily get burned?

I feel like trying out this easy mysore pak, but I think I would roast besan on a pan-stove top method. Then proceed the rest in the microwave.

[tscii:412f81d0c5]Easy and quick Mysore pak:

Gram (besan) flour – 4 spoons
Sugar – 8 spoons
Ghee – 5 to 6 spoons
Milk (condensed/evaproated/half and half/ regular whole milk) – 2 spoons

Fry gram flour in microwave for 45 to 50 secs.

Mix flour and sugar and then add ghee followed my milk, mix everything and then keep in microwave for 2min 15 secs.

Once done immediately transfer it into a plate which is already coated with a layer of ghee. And after 5 mns make pieces even though it has not solidified completely.

Leave it outside or in freezer for 5 mns and take out the pieces.

Soft mysorepak ready, if u need hard mysorepak keep it for few more secs.
Easy and quick sweet ready in 10 mns.

I tried this recipe but it still had the raw smell & taste of kadalai maavu... I guess I shouldve roasted it for few more secs... adjust the timings depending on ur MW power...:)[/tscii:412f81d0c5]

sudha india
24th January 2008, 11:33 AM
Can someone help me to translate these ingredients in Tamil or Malay. :oops:

channa dal = konda kadalai
thoor dal = thuvaram paruppu
urad dal = ulundhu
Hing = big wound = perungaayam :lol:
Haldi = manjal

I think channa is konda kadalai and
channa dal is kadalai paruppu.

Edhu sari ?

Rakhi
24th January 2008, 10:53 PM
Hello I need some help.I have a party tomorrow and I need to know the certain quantities.
there are 14 adults,6children ages3-7

I am making chappathi and rice(sona masoori)
approx. how many cups of unccoked rice I need to prepeare?
is 3/4 cup for one person too much or too little.
cup is the std measuring cup we get in walmart .
and what abt quantities of curries.
I am making aviyal,daal,a veg fry and moru kuzhambu and also a stew for chappathi.pls someone who has experience advice me on this.how many quarts I need to prepare each curry ?will 2 quarts of each be enough.there are 5 curries for rice along with pappad,pickle etc.
dessert is payasam.I thought of making 4 quarts.

pls reply ASAP.
desperate cook

dev
11th February 2008, 04:57 PM
Hi Dev, how do you roast flour in a microwave? wouldn't it easily get burned?

I feel like trying out this easy mysore pak, but I think I would roast besan on a pan-stove top method. Then proceed the rest in the microwave.

RP, I kept it at 40% power & roasted it... You have to mix it every min or so in the beginning & more freq towards the end.. But even then mine had the raw smell...

Let us know the result if u try it...:)

Shoba
29th April 2008, 11:54 AM
Hi!

I would like to know if Swiss Chard and Pasali/Pasalai-keerai are one and the same.

Thank you!
Shoba

Kavitha Ravi
29th April 2008, 06:53 PM
I don't think they are the same.
The common name is Swiss Chard.
The botanical name is beta vulgaris cicla
Tamil name is sencheerai.
Here is a picture of red Swiss Chard.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3408/redswisschardag9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Another picture of Swiss Chard
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5918/imagesix8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Shoba
30th April 2008, 09:20 AM
I don't think they are the same.
The common name is Swiss Chard.
The botanical name is beta vulgaris cicla
Tamil name is sencheerai.
Here is a picture of red Swiss Chard.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3408/redswisschardag9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Another picture of Swiss Chard
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5918/imagesix8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Thanks Kavitha. Is Swiss Chard available in our region-M'sia/Spore? Would you know the Malay name by any chance..?
Thanks again Kavitha.

Kavitha Ravi
1st May 2008, 12:39 PM
Well Shoba, I asked around my friends, none seems to know the name in Malay. Some say that its like the Chinese sawi. The stem will be thick and white in colour, while the leaves will be crinkled green in colour. Sorry I am not able to help you.
I also understand that Swiss Chard is a western vege. Thanks.

Anoushka
1st May 2008, 12:53 PM
http://images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&q=pak%20choi&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

is this what you are talking about?

from the pictures posted earlier, it looks like pak choi to me :)

Anoushka
1st May 2008, 12:55 PM
sorry, I guess Iam wrong, on searching more found that the two (swiss chard & pak choi) are entrely two different things! :)

Shoba
5th May 2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks Kavitha, thanks Anoushka for trying.

Here's another one: Is Mustard Greens same as Kadugu Keerai? I have bought Mustard Greens here in Singapore and there are 2 different varieties- One looks like a thick skinned, curled up cabbage which is from China and the other one is more like a leafy green vegetable with straight stalks. Problem is, I dont know whether this leafy green veg is indeed Kadugu Keerai :P .

Any help in English, Malay, Chinese, Tamil & Malayalam would be greatly appreciated :D!

Shoba

Kavitha Ravi
5th May 2008, 12:31 PM
[tscii:17650fc2f0]Shoba I found this in the net.
In Malay the swiss chard is known as daunbit.

Chard

Chard is most commonly recognized by gardeners and commercial growers as a tall stalky green known as Swiss Chard. Chard is actually a variety of beet, but the leafy greens don’t really resemble their tubular cousins. The Japanese chard, called “fudanso” in Japan, is also known as leaf beet, spinach beet, leaf chard, or perpetual spinach. This shorter stalked variety has glossy deep green leaves that are slightly waved with small mid ribs. This chard is tastiest when harvested young and the leaves are tender and mild flavored. Fudanso is an excellent choice for baby greens in salads and stir-fry. In Japan, the vegetable is most commonly parboiled and then soaked in water to remove some of the acrid taste. Fudanso does well in cool season planting, but can also withstand heat, making this hearty green a good choice for growing from spring to winter.

[/tscii:17650fc2f0]

Kavitha Ravi
5th May 2008, 12:35 PM
This vege is called mustard greens or kadugu keerai. In Malay it is known as sayur sawi.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/92/sawikeeraiqt7cg5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Kavitha Ravi
5th May 2008, 12:51 PM
This vege is called bok choi or chinese cabbage.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3792/af85a65963beb40b1d72e82nm4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dev
5th May 2008, 01:00 PM
Kavitha, I once had a mixed steamed veggies in Malaysia... they just looked like plain steamed veggies but when I tasted it they had a slight sour taste & was mildly salted... It was very tasty & I couldn't smell or taste or see any other spices in it... not even chillies I guess... Please post the recipe for it if u know how to make it...

Thanks in adv...:)

Shoba
6th May 2008, 11:32 AM
[tscii:73fdf24e06]Shoba I found this in the net.
In Malay the swiss chard is known as daunbit.

Chard

Chard is most commonly recognized by gardeners and commercial growers as a tall stalky green known as Swiss Chard. Chard is actually a variety of beet, but the leafy greens don’t really resemble their tubular cousins. The Japanese chard, called “fudanso” in Japan, is also known as leaf beet, spinach beet, leaf chard, or perpetual spinach. This shorter stalked variety has glossy deep green leaves that are slightly waved with small mid ribs. This chard is tastiest when harvested young and the leaves are tender and mild flavored. Fudanso is an excellent choice for baby greens in salads and stir-fry. In Japan, the vegetable is most commonly parboiled and then soaked in water to remove some of the acrid taste. Fudanso does well in cool season planting, but can also withstand heat, making this hearty green a good choice for growing from spring to winter.[/tscii:73fdf24e06]

[tscii:73fdf24e06]This vege is called mustard greens or kadugu keerai. In Malay it is known as sayur sawi.

Click here to see included image..[/tscii:73fdf24e06]

Kavitha, thanks so very much! So the Kadugu keerai I've been buying (along with the curly hard ball) is indeed Mustard Green. I also found out that there are more than 10 varieties of Mustard Greens! And the Swiss Chard, hmm, I thought the leaves off a beetroot was called Beet Greens. Funny how all vegetable sellers promptly take off the green leaves from beet roots, turnips etc.,!

Thanks again!
Shoba

Anoushka
6th May 2008, 03:48 PM
Shoba: I used to grow mustard at home and I had two varieties, yellow mustard and the regular black mustard, the leaves for both were quite different! But looking at the pictures on the net, there are quite a few varieties and some of them even look like curly kale! :) and looks like mustard has nothing to do with mustard greens.... I am still not sure!

Kavitha Ravi
6th May 2008, 07:48 PM
[tscii:ef84c190da]Dear Dev, there are many methods to cook this stir fried mixed vege. This is one type. I hope you like it.

STIR FRIED MIXED VEGETABLES

Ingredients:

500 grms of mixed veges, e.g carrots, cauliflower,
Broccoli, button mushroom, baby corn. Any of your choice.
4 pips garlic finely minced
1 ½ tbs of cooking oil
¼ cup hot water
A pinch of sugar to retain the colour of the veges

Seasonings:
1 ½ tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs light soya sauce
White pepper powder to taste

Method:
Cut the veges according to your taste.
Heat oil in a wok, add the minced garlic.
Stir for a moment till there is a nice aroma.
Add the mixed veges and stir for about 3 minutes
Adding the hot water slowly. Add the sugar.
Close the wok for a minute.
Now add the seasonings and continue to cook
Until the veges are cooked. Please do not over cook the veges.
Serve hot with steaming rice.
[/tscii:ef84c190da]

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9127/mixedvegedg6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dev
7th May 2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks a lot,Kavitha... the pic looks very similar to the one I had...

BTW, is there any substitute for oyster sauce... I mean a vegetarian version...can I use mushroom sauce instead?...

Kavitha Ravi
7th May 2008, 08:29 AM
Dev, they do sell vegetarian oyster sauce. You can use mushroom sauce too.

Even crushed ginger too can be added. As I have said, there are many methods to cook this simple stir fry dish.

Here in Malaysia they also add a tbs of fermented preserved soya paste called tau cheong. Its mostly added by the Chinese. It will have a salty taste. It will not have any strong smell. It will be slightly sour. Thanks. Kavi

dev
7th May 2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks Kavitha...I'll try out this recipe & let you know if this is what I'm looking for.

dev
8th May 2008, 08:20 AM
Dear Kavitha, I tried the mixed vegs today & it was quite good... I added a bit of lemon juice at the end as I wanted it to be a bit tangy... the taste was quite similar to the one I had but this one had the flavour of the sauces... the one I had din't have any sauce flavours... I'm just wondering if you have any similar recipe that uses vinegar in it... I'm just planning to try out with soya sauce & vinegar or chillies in vinegar next time...:)

Thanks a again for the recipe...:)

Anoushka
16th June 2008, 10:30 PM
I accidentally brought varuthu araicha arisi maavu instead of aapam maavu. How can I make aapam with this, can anyone help please? :)

Thanks in advance!

kugan98
17th June 2008, 09:34 AM
Anoushka, I have tried making aapam with fried rice flour.
It was a flop. I do not know about others.

Anoushka
17th June 2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks kugan. Any ideas what I can do with this flour? I got 1kg of this and I don't want to waste it.

NOV
17th June 2008, 05:48 PM
if I were you, I'd make murukku and be done with it. :)

kugan98
17th June 2008, 06:16 PM
You can make iddiappam, mothagam, steamed savoury kozhukattai, sweet kozhukattai, sippi and so on.

Anoushka
17th June 2008, 06:28 PM
NOV: Good idea :) the only thing is that I didn't want to deep fry anything, but I guess that is the easy option! Or maybe idiappam as kugan has mentioned!

kugan thanks again, idiappam sounds good! :)

dev
17th June 2008, 07:38 PM
Anou, you can use this flour in pesarattu,ragi dosa, chola dosa etc... I use just a handful in these dosa batters for the 2 of us...

Anoushka
18th June 2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks Dev :) that sounds good!

Anoushka
6th July 2008, 12:18 AM
hee hee... after all these suggestions, made akki roti out of that flour today! :)

Zimmermann
10th July 2008, 02:29 PM
Anou, if you still have rest you can try pittu.
Instead coconut use Cabbage fine choped (you can also add grated carrots) and after steaming thaaLidham seinga.

With some hot curry that's a real yummmmm :-p

NOV
10th July 2008, 02:32 PM
ok, now we know you are srilankan :P

its called puttu by indian tamils. :lol:

pavalamani pragasam
10th July 2008, 03:25 PM
namma ooru maathiri veyiladichchaa vadagam kaachchi ooththalaam/piziyalaam!

Zimmermann
17th July 2008, 01:00 PM
I have some kurakkan maavu...
Anybody has some good ideas to make something out of it/ something unusual???

Anoushka
17th July 2008, 06:18 PM
thanks zimm, I h ave some more left, will try out what you suggested!

pp madam: inga veyil adicha periya vishayam, so vadam is out of question!

zimm: neenga solrathu kezhvaragu maavuthaanE? dosai, chappathi, puttu seyyalamE :)

NOV
18th July 2008, 05:35 AM
kurakkan? sounds dangerously close to kirukkan :shaking:

Wibha
18th July 2008, 05:39 AM
what is kurakkan? :)

kugan98
18th July 2008, 06:18 AM
Kurakkan means ragi or red millet.
there are so many recipes using ragi flour.
but have to be careful of Nov, he hates it.

Wibha
18th July 2008, 06:20 AM
Kurakkan means ragi or red millet.
there are so many recipes using ragi flour.
but have to be careful of Nov, he hates it.

:D :D

NOV hates good things :poke: :lol2:

ragi mudde :slurp:, ragi malt :slurp: :slurp:

Zimmermann
18th July 2008, 01:13 PM
I got it from a friend from Jaffna, and tried puttu/pittu once with her guidance. It became very dry.. That's why I want to try something else...

Thosai sounds good, may be with thaaLidham and a good Ginger Chutney it may be a lovely meal. I shall try it out and tell you how it came out.

Thanks all :D

pavalamani pragasam
18th July 2008, 05:10 PM
My mil used to do one kEppai rotti. Strained jaggery ( or preferably 'karuppatti) water, grated coconut, a pinch of salt to be added to the flour & kneaded sprinkling with a little water to the consistency of chappaathi maavu. make small balls, flatten them moderately & cook them on the dosai kal on medium fire pouring ghee or oil round the edges.

kugan98
18th July 2008, 07:08 PM
[tscii]Try this bread.

RAGI BREAD

Ingredients:

1 cup ragi flour
2 tbs wholemeal flour
2 tbs fresh coconut flakes ( optional )
2 tbs of ground coriander leaves
2 tbs of ground onions
2 green chillies ground
¼ tsp of cumin seeds
Water
Salt to taste
Oil or ghee

Method:

Mix all the ingredients, except the oil into a soft dough.
It should be softer than the chappati dough.
Heat a dosa kal on low heat , oil the surface with a cloth.
Take a ball of the dough and put it in the middle of the dosa kal.
Use a plastic bag as a glove , dip it in water and pat the dough into a round about 6 inch in diameter.
Pour a little oil around the roti
Cook on both sides over a moderate heat, till the bread is cooked.
Serve hot with any curry or chutney.

Zimmermann
27th July 2008, 12:34 PM
That sounds tasty too Kugan. I'll try it for dinner today :D

pavalamani pragasam
30th July 2008, 06:57 PM
My grandson's( pre KG) teacher has sent a note asking him to bring a packet of nippet for the bhel puri party day after tomorrow. A country mouse that I am I couldn't figure out what that could be. Asking in the neighbouring bakery, chat corner, snack bar etc I come to understand it is nothing other than our thattai. But my son is not convinced. He & my dil suspect it might be some other product esp. made for bhel puri mix. Can anyone enlighten me?

kugan98
30th July 2008, 08:35 PM
[tscii]With due thanks to Mrs. Revathy Shanmugam.

Rice Nippet

Ingredients

Raw rice powder : 1 cup

Maida : ½ cup

Grated coconut : 2 tsp

Groundnut (fried) : ¼ cup

Split roasted gram : ¼ cup

Curry leaves : a few

Ginger : 1 small piece

Green Chilli : 12

Ghee : 1

Salt : 1

Oil : as needed

Method -

Grind fried groundnut and split roasted gram coarsely. Grind ginger, green chilli and grated coconut. Mix raw rice powder and maida in a bowl. Add the ground gram, coconut Paste, salt, ghee and curry leaves. Add water to form a dough. Heat oil in a frying pan. Take a small ball of dough. Flatten it into small circles and fry them in oil. Remove when cooked.

This recipe is taken from the book "Kara Vagaigal" by Revathi Shanmugam published by Kannadhasan Pathippagam

I hope you are clear now Mrs. Pavalamani Pragasam.

vibinrajmani
22nd August 2008, 06:07 AM
guys, how to make good spicy sundal?? :roll:

thanks for your help

pavalamani pragasam
22nd August 2008, 12:10 PM
Thanx, kugan98!

To vibinrajmani: My mil's recipe

Soak channa overnight & pressure cook it. Grind thaniya, jeera, red chilli to a paste. Heat a few tsp's of oil in the kadai, saute chopped small onion till brown, add masala paste, salt and channa. ( A little water may be sprinkled if the masala is very thick). Simmer it till thaniya gets a cooked smell, add coconut flakes and remove from fire.

ksen
22nd August 2008, 01:26 PM
Vibin : Soak channa overnight and pressure cook with salt. Grind a small piece ginger and two/three green chillies coarsely. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, perungayam, curry leaves, then the cooked channa (without water). Mix, add the ground paste, mix well and serve. If you want, add some lemon juice, after removing from fire. Dried peas, channa dhal, green gram - all taste good this way.

Lambretta
22nd August 2008, 05:31 PM
Hey since is the SOS thread 'thot I might post a query here-
I'm going to make beans curry for the first time, moving from a steady diet of vendakkai/kovakkai (having jus these 2 for the last 1 year! :shock: :roll:)

So bought the 'slim' type beans (kotthavarung'kai?) and cut it...BUT jus then a doubt came in my mind- do we need to boil beans first in the pressure cooker before cooking?? :?
My mother would do tat whenever she cooks beans curry....

'grateful for ne guidance! :)

pavalamani pragasam
22nd August 2008, 07:57 PM
Can do it easily: put the vegetable pieces in the pressure cooker, add a little water, turmeric powder, jeera powder, chilli powder, salt, and chopped small onion fried with urad dhal tand cook for 2 whistle time!

Wibha
22nd August 2008, 08:30 PM
Wibha : Soak channa overnight and pressure cook with salt. Grind a small piece ginger and two/three green chillies coarsely. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, perungayam, curry leaves, then the cooked channa (without water). Mix, add the ground paste, mix well and serve. If you want, add some lemon juice, after removing from fire. Dried peas, channa dhal, green gram - all taste good this way.

akka ketadhu vibin :P

hehe anyway this is exactly how amma does sundal too :o SAME!!!!!! :omg:

ksen
22nd August 2008, 10:57 PM
endha vibin 8-)

So you want to make it differently and impress her ?

Wibha
22nd August 2008, 11:25 PM
endha vibin 8-)

So you want to make it differently and impress her ?

endha vibin-ah :? :roll:

i don't wanna make sundal amma will make iit for me :P it's too easy for me :smokesmirk: en level-e vera :lol2:

Lambretta
23rd August 2008, 09:18 PM
Can do it easily: put the vegetable pieces in the pressure cooker, add a little water, turmeric powder, jeera powder, chilli powder, salt, and chopped small onion fried with urad dhal tand cook for 2 whistle time!
:ty: PP ma'm! 'will try it tomorrow as 'dont hav much patience/inclination to do it today....! :oops:

Shakthiprabha.
30th September 2008, 03:44 PM
Dear all,

Which is the best method to make black/green tea?

a) To boil the tea bags along with water or

b) to boil the water and let the tea bags steep?

Which method retains more benefit?

I would be too obliged to receive answers at the earliest.

Thankyou.

NOV
30th September 2008, 06:03 PM
1. bring water to almost boil (dont use boiling water) in a pan.

2. in a mug, place your tea bag and then pour the hot water.

3. let it rest for 2 mins max and then remove tea bag.

4. allow tea to cool down and then drink.

Shakthiprabha.
30th September 2008, 06:05 PM
thanks nov.

I always let the tea bag boil along with water, until someone told me thats not the right way to do.

thanks again.

swapnasureshbabu
18th October 2008, 02:33 AM
Hi,
can u guys help me cook for my 7 month old baby boy .
He is taking mother's milk and im providing him rice cereal and pureed vegetables but still he is very very thin...
i hav heard tht there r some grandmother's old and healthy recipes for children anybody hav anykind of recipes to post also general baby food recipes plllzzzzzzz??
from one desperate mom

dev
18th October 2008, 11:41 AM
try feeding ragi kanji once a day... preferably in the morning...

Selviem
18th October 2008, 11:01 PM
hi Swapna,

u can start giving him semi solid food, since it is a boy he need more than a baby girl. I have 2 sons, one is 7 1/2 yrs and another one 5 1/2 yrs. i started semi solid from the month of six. I used to give him sathu maavu kanchi once in a day. morning idli u can try with milk and sugar. Afternoon, lunch in a small pressure cooker, a small cup of ur cooking rice, 1/4 moong dhal, little carrot, little potato chopped , 1 clove garlic, 1 or 2 sambar onion, 1/4 tsp of jeera, 4 peppercorns, little salt, water may be 1 1/2 cups. cook nicely . then it will be very soft, u can add homemade ghee, while feeding. u can mash the food with the spoon and u can feed. Whatever u try for ur baby please try in the day time. Anyfood to get use it will take nearly a week, slowly u feed, basic is u need the patience. Night u can give him idli or like pongal(very soft). In between u can give fruit punch (made at home), soups, pureed veg. etc.
if ur baby is active that is well and good, donot think that baby is very thin.

swapnasureshbabu
21st October 2008, 01:46 AM
Hi selviam ,
thanks a lot. can u plz giv me recipe for sathu maavu i hav heard of it but never tried it before. i will try dal rice and idly definetely.
also i dont hav any idea abt making fruit punch???

Hi dev,
thanks for ur response.i will also try raagi kanji.

Selviem
21st October 2008, 10:26 PM
hi swapna,
saathu maavu is very very good the babies, coz it contains all the saathu in that, if they take twice a day that is well and good.
Here is the easiest receipe for it:
1.Broken wheat (wheat rava)- 1 cup
2.G. moong - 1 cup
3.cooking rice (whatever u cook for the rice) - 1/4 cup
4.Cashews - 1/4 cup
5.Badham - 1/2 cup
6.Peanut - 1/2 cup
7.Pottukadalai - 1/2 cup
8.Elaichi - 1 tblsp
9.Sukku - 1 tblsp

Dry fry in the slow fire B.wheat,G.moong, rice one by one .
all these should be fried nicely.keep this in a big tray. peanut with its skin only dry fry and remove the skin, then only the taste will come. if u use the readymade peeled one that is not that much good for the babies. add the peanut to that tray. now u can either dry fry the other items or u can keep in the sun for 2 hours and add to the tray. all these items should be come to the room temperature and u can grind it in the mill. instead sukku u can use sukku readymade powder.
Now the basic powder is ready. For ur baby, u can take 1 tblsp of powder and add 1 1/2 tsp of sugar mix it with little water without any lumps and cook for 3 to min in the slow fire, now it will be like thick kanji. dilute with boiled milk and 1/2 tsp of ghee. this u can feed in the feeding bottle or u can feed like cerelac. This is very filling for the kids. u can increase the qty of the powder according to the age.
till i am giving to my younger one. Coz he is a poor eater, so i will give this one time daily.
u try and tell me .
Fruit punch:
i just make a combination of 2 or 3 fruits peeled cut and make a puree nicely with 1 tblsp of milk and give like a cerelac. I will use banana in my punch.
I normally use apple, pear, straw berry, papaya , cherries.
selvi

dry fry

swapnasureshbabu
29th October 2008, 05:57 PM
Hi selviam, i tried sathu maavu and he is eating good. also im giving him dal rice.
thank you sooo much.

Selviem
30th October 2008, 09:00 PM
hi swapna,
thank u so much.
selvi

swapnasureshbabu
6th November 2008, 12:11 AM
Hi,
I live in bloomington and we r running out of
Idly rice in indian stores...
i saw boiled rice in sams club
where the rice is not indian type ...
i just want to knw anybody tried making idle batter out of this sams club rice????
or is there anyother rice we get easily to make idly batter...
i also need ratio for rice and urad dal for making batter...

Selviem
8th November 2008, 11:42 AM
hi swapna,

u can try this ratio, whatever boiled rice it may be, rice - 4 cups and urad dhal - 1 cup (4:1)
so for that take 2 cups of boiled rice, 1 cup of basmati rice(if the basmati rice is motta, then go for it. it can be used for the batter purpose not for cooking), 1 cup of white thin rice flakes. so this comes for 4 cups of rice.
soak both the rice together overnight. rice flakes remove the dirt when it is dry and soak for 15 min before grinding.
Now urad dha1 - 1 cup.
first u have to grind urad dhal then remove the batter, then grind rice+ rice flakes together and mix dhal and rice, ferment properly and make idli. It really turns out very soft. try this.
selvi

swapnasureshbabu
10th November 2008, 04:40 AM
Thanks a lot Selviam, for ur continues replies...
i will try today and tell you.

Anoushka
19th May 2009, 02:41 AM
Can anyone tell me if I can use tofu like cheese (As in pizza topping of tofu instead of cheese) please?

dev
19th May 2009, 12:12 PM
Anou, tofu won't melt like cheese...so it wouldn't be a good substitute for cheese i guess...

Anoushka
19th May 2009, 08:31 PM
thanks dev... I am still trying to find out where I can find vegan cheese!

Anoushka
12th June 2009, 11:44 AM
Can anyone give me a recipe for a simple eggless and preferrably dairy free cake please?

I usually make chocolate cake and carrot cake and I want to try something different.

thanks in advance :)

dsath
12th June 2009, 05:40 PM
Hi Anou,
Link to an eggless cake recipe
http://sunitabhuyan.com/?p=1946
I made it for a friend of mine for her birthday and it came out very well.

Anoushka
12th June 2009, 07:42 PM
thanks dsath :) The recipe looks fairly simple, so will try that out today :)

Anoushka
13th June 2009, 02:42 AM
Tried the cake dsath, used honey instead of sugar and added a chopped up pear to it. Came out ok, was a bit sticky for some reason and hubby dear thinks it should have cooked more or I should have mixed two different flours instead of just plain flour!

But Abhi loved it anyway :)

Anoushka
15th July 2009, 12:18 AM
Any one knows how to make badam milk?

NOV
15th July 2009, 06:56 AM
quite simple actually - soak almonds overnight (some ppl prefer to boil) . then peel skin and grind, adding water as necessary.
boil milk, add almond paste, sugar and colouring. you can add pounded Elakka for added taste.

pavalamani pragasam
15th July 2009, 07:42 AM
Garnishing it with roasted 'saarai paruppu' will make it a more delightful drink! And a spoon of ghee added before swithching off the stove makes it yummy! :slurp:
'saarai paruppu' is that small paruppu( I don't know its name in English :( ) used to garnish milk sweets, son papdi, sohan alwa etc.

Anoushka
15th July 2009, 10:50 PM
thanks NO & pp madam :) will try that for Abhi. Any of the badam milk mixes that I get here has milk solids in it, so can't use them. Now I can mke my own at home :)

Anoushka
17th July 2009, 01:55 AM
Can anyone tell me if I can use tofu like cheese (As in pizza topping of tofu instead of cheese) please?

found a whole pile of vegan cheese at a health store today :)

dev
17th July 2009, 02:22 PM
happy for Abhi kutty...he can have cheese pizza now...:D

Anoushka
4th February 2010, 03:51 AM
might sound like a silly question, but is sathukdi considered a citrus fruit?

reason for asking this question... I've been asked to avoid citrus fruits for Anou, but I know sathukudi juice is sooo good..

Hemant Trivedi
5th February 2010, 06:15 PM
sathakudi is a citrus fruit.

Anoushka
5th February 2010, 09:09 PM
thanks hemant :)

geecee
12th April 2010, 10:23 PM
Can we make basandhi with the sweetened condensed milk tin [Milkmaid] ? I have 2 tins which are nearing their use-by date and want to finish it off.

Does anybody know the proportion to maybe mix it with plain boiled milk , add some flavoring & turn it into basandhi ?

NM
13th April 2010, 04:16 AM
geecee : i do have old recipes that use MilkMaid - candy, doughnut, jelly etc... do you want me post those for you?

geecee
13th April 2010, 08:12 AM
Oh sure NM , Would be so nice if you could post your recipes. Am ready to try out & enjoy :)

Thanks.

NM
25th April 2010, 06:56 AM
Hi gecee - i hope these aren't too late for your almost-due milkmaid :(

Easy doughnuts (i've tried them before and they turned out well):
150g plain four
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Mix all the above in a mixing bowl. Make a well at the centre and add :

2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp milkmaid condensed milk
2 tbsp hot water and 1 egg

and mix thoroughly.
On a lightly foured board, knead the dough until its free from cracks. Roll out thinly and cut with pastry or doughnut cutter. Srt aside for at least 30 mins.

Heat oil in a wok. Drop the doughnuts carefully into the hot oil and fry over low heat until golden brown (abt 3 mins). take them out, drain and roll the warm doughnuts in sugar/cinnamon mixture and serve.

NM
25th April 2010, 07:02 AM
Coconut candy :
2 1/2 cups grated coconut
1 can of milkmaid (397g)
1 cup sugar
30 g butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
a few drops of coloring of yoru choice
and some pandan leaves (if you have any)

Lightly grease a 20cm square pan.

Tear the pandans into strips and knot them.
Fry coconut until its partially dry. Add milk, sugar and pandan. Cook under low heat, stirring continuously until mixture leaves teh sides of the pan (approx 30 mins). (check : you can drop a little mixture into very cold water and it should form a soft ball which falttens on removel from water).
remove the pan from the heat, discard the pandan. Stir in butter, essesnce and food colouring. Transfer to the greased pan and at lightly into place.
Allow to cool and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.

NM
25th April 2010, 07:11 AM
Steamed sponge cake :
180g plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
a pinch of salt
150 g butter
4 eggs
1 1/2 cans of milkmaid milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
caramel sauce (optional)

Lightly grease and flour a 22cm round pan.

In a container sift together the flour, soda, nutmeg and salt.

In a bowl, cream butter until its light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the Milk and essense. Fold in the flour mix. The mixture should have a batter consistency. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and steam over high heat for 30 mins. reduce to moderate heat and continue to steam for a further 15 mins or until ta cake tester inserted in cake comes out clean :).
Cook it and cut into slices. If desired, top it with caramel sauce and serve.

Caramel sauce :
Cook 1 cup sugar with 1/4 cup water over low heat until sugar caramelizes and is light brown. Add 1/2 cup water and stir to dissolve the caramelized sugar. remove from heat and use as desired.

I hope the above are Ok and come out well, gecee. I have a few more but let me know if you need these :
Pineapple flan, Banana cake, baked custard, cream puff

geecee
2nd May 2010, 07:51 AM
Hi NM,

No problem for delay , it's ok. I used up one tin just as dressing for fruit salad . The other I just made like vanilla milkshake.
Somehow my family relished both & I didn't have to waste the stuff :)

I've noted down your recipes which I will certainly try with the next lot . Esp. I'm having eyes on that steamed cake :P

Sure, do post your other recipes which sound very tempting.. when you get the chance. Will be good to try them too.

Thanks,
Gee.

vibinrajmani
3rd May 2010, 08:29 AM
I would really appreciate it if some kind soul could instruct me on how to prepare a decent tasting south-indian vegetable kuruma. Thank you :D

suvai
1st June 2010, 06:43 AM
I would really appreciate it if some kind soul could instruct me on how to prepare a decent tasting south-indian vegetable kuruma. Thank you :D

visit mrs mano's thread or Kugan's thread & you will surely find some fabulous south indian vegetable kurma recipe....most of them have been tried & tested.

chevy
25th September 2011, 02:52 PM
Hello Mr.Nov!
As you are from Malaysia, I want to know about a product which is from Malaysia. Have you heard about DXN Products? They are marketing some products which are made from RED Reishi Mushroom [Ganoderma Lucidum]. It is said that these products of this mushroom has a healing ability and there are highly herbal medicines. Have you heard about this?

A very late reply, but I couldn't resist the urge to not reply.
Some years ago, I think I was in 7th grade or 8th, our family had these DXNstuff that were widely promoted in the middle east. Worse than the food supplements, was the actual mushroom itself. Some huge mushroom that had to be soaked in Tea. Every night my mom used to replace the tea and the whole kitchen stunk when the lid of the mushroom dish was opened. The soaked tea was taken as a food supplement and the new tea was poured in to soak over night in the mushroom.....the mushroom let out layers that were passed on to friends which was another mushroom to stink up their house. I was relieved when that fad wore out and people stopped using that thing. But moved on to the DXN tablets.

I wouldn;t say I don't believe in food supplements - Chyavanprash, Safi, Gulkhand, all that are good for health but this DXN always makes me think of that mushroom. and its stink!

chevy
25th September 2011, 03:06 PM
Could someone clarify this query.

I use thick cream for icing (add icing sugar, other flavours or colors to it). Last time I accidently used the electric beater instead of just whisking the cream. It turned the thick cream to a runny consistency. I tried to add more icing sugar but then it was getting too sweet , refridgerated it it thickened a little but not good enough for icing.
How do I save the cream if such a thing happens , can I add corn flour to it and turn it into icing?

chevy
25th September 2011, 04:11 PM
And the second query:-

As mentioned earlier, I whipped up thick cream on high speed accidentally making it useless for icing. Can thick cream be added to cake batter instead of butter/oil?
What would the result be like?

dev
25th September 2011, 04:25 PM
chevy, whip it some more and u might end up with sweet butter... n then u can use it to make buttercream frosting...:think:but seriously, I've not has such accidents and don't curse me if it turns out into something else n not butter... :lol:

chevy
25th September 2011, 04:35 PM
chevy, whip it some more and u might end up with sweet butter... n then u can use it to make buttercream frosting...:think:but seriously, I've not has such accidents and don't curse me if it turns out into something else n not butter... :lol: Ur kidding me!!!

I mean this http://www.andalusiaexpress.com/images/Puck_ThickCream250mlx3.jpg . This accident happens often to me and I just end up with runny cream. It just ends up like thick milk consistency. Doesn't seem to form any butter.haha.. its funny though, I would love it if that happens however :)

The suggestion reminded me of my hostel days (currently home on vacation), me and my room mate discuss how we'll use milk powder to make milk, curd and lassi and all that in our room ( our hostel neither provided those , nor did were we allowed to have any electrical appliances to heat milk/refrigerate so on. But we secretly had a small kettle...Atha vechu we build castles in the air ...haha.

dev
25th September 2011, 05:52 PM
chevy, u can make butter from heavy cream...http://themovementdallas.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/how-to-make-butter-from-fresh-cream/

My guess is u din't whip it long enough... innum konjam whip panni paarunga...edhavadhu onnu kidaikum... ;)

chevy
25th September 2011, 07:13 PM
Hahaha, I ll certainly try. Yes, I remember my hostel mate telling me , they collect paal-adai everyday and add a drop curd into it after it accumulates enough of it and then later churn it into butter or some process like that.

chevy
25th September 2011, 07:34 PM
Is this for baking or drinking? - http://www.britishdelights.net/images/cocoa1.jpg It's cadbury's cocoa but tastes like bournvita when turned into a cake :D The color of the powder itself isn't as deep as hershey's or even another standard brands.

chevy
26th December 2013, 11:11 PM
Could someone clarify this query.

I use thick cream for icing (add icing sugar, other flavours or colors to it). Last time I accidently used the electric beater instead of just whisking the cream. It turned the thick cream to a runny consistency. I tried to add more icing sugar but then it was getting too sweet , refridgerated it it thickened a little but not good enough for icing.
How do I save the cream if such a thing happens , can I add corn flour to it and turn it into icing?

OK, I just came across my own query years ago. so I thought I'd reply with what I've discovered about this "Cream- confusion" over the years. So, just saving you from some disappointment on a lovely birthday baking day, don't use these guys for frosting. , if I'm wrong please correct me.

1) Major problem being different countries use -different names and different making methods - so you need to be clear on what your recipe wants out of cream.

2) Easiest way is to go by the "Fat content" in ingredients

3)
a) for whipped cream- buy cream with more than 35% fat content. - it maybe called whipping cream/heavy cream/ similar.
b) for malai-curries, spread, frappes and milk shakes. etc - any cream of the range of 25% fat plus will do. (This is the most common type cream - most brands in india use 25% fat. (like amul, nilgiris, etc). In other countries, fresh table cream, creme fraiche etc is of this range.
c) some recipes call for very thick clotted cream - they are 55% fat plus and mostly go for the European brands because thats where clotted cream originates. Its expensive and yum. Most often lands in the mouth before you even start about the recipe.
d) for coffees , light cream of 15% or so will do.
e) Tinned cream/or tetra packaged "thick cream" that you will find in the evaporated milk section and not the cold storage dairy section is cream that is constructed from dry milk solids and thickening agents. They are usually more shelf stable , economical and if you're a smaller family and use less cream better to go for it and stock it in your pantry- for shakes, malai-based curries and fruit toppings /sauces. I have used it in "cold cheesecakes" and they work because cold cheesecakes with gelatin with "set" anything. I doubt it will work for the baked type cheesecake or for whipped cream to frost cakes. Because I've done that experimenting part for you and ended up with a watery thin liquid in the name whipped cream. I thought was that close to getting it but no, it never started to thicken. Traditional "heavy cream" or whipping cream (fat content 35% -45%) will first scare the hell out of you, by becoming thin and runny and then it will start to thicken and form lovely whipped cream. If you just wait and watch the magic happen. But no, that didn't work with the tinned cream work me. It will just become runny liquid. I assume because, it is technically It is thickened milk and not the cream of milk to be called as a "cream" . But I still have these in the pantry for curries or shakes. It's more shelf stable and better option for people who rarely use cream.
f)Off-late I see "cooking" cream and they are supposedly more heat-stable heavy creams. (35% fat) I'd don't see much difference n I suppose you could use them in the same way as you'd use whipping cream/aka heavy cream for frosting cakes. I've used them for curries as recommended. They taste good just like any other cream just with more fat. I'd personally go for 25% fat regular cream.
6) In india - I noticed dream-whip packets of powdered whipping cream. It's same like any powdered whipped crema anywhere. Its too airy and make not stand on cakes for too long. Its okay for topping on fruits but not too much for decorating. If you're having trouble finding cream for frosting in your area- go for butter/margarine cream or any pudding powder based frosting works too.
Also in india, the malai that is available is 25% and I have not used it for making whipped cream and would like to know if it has worked for anyone but going by theory a minimum 30% will hold whipped cream well. Even with that, adding cream of tartar will make it more stable. So I doubt a 25% cream that is the malai in most brands like Amul will work. Let me know if it works.