PDA

View Full Version : Query regarding yeast for Aappam : Urgent reply please

SmileAlways
7th July 2006, 12:40 PM
Hi All
Have made the batter for the aappam ready. However, when it came to dissolving the yeast...I am not sure if I have the correct stuff with me. I seem to have yeast crystals (small ball like thing) and not yeast powder....since all the recipes ask me to take a pinch of yeast and dissolve it in water. So...I guess I have a different stuff.

Can I still use these crystals and try dissolving them....and add them to the batter?? Would it make any difference?? Also, when should I add this yeast to the batter for best results??

Batter is waiting.....and I dont wanna waste all the effort tht went into making it...by making a mistake in the last step. Hope you fellow hubbers will help me out....

southiecook
7th July 2006, 06:42 PM
You can use the crystals. First add a pinch of sugar to little luke warm water, dissolve it fully. Then add the required amount of yeast and dissolve it. Wait until it foams. (May be 5-10 mins)

Braandan
8th July 2006, 09:19 AM
If toddy (panam kaLLu or thennam kaLLu) is available in your place use it instead of yeast. That is the traditional method.

SmileAlways
8th July 2006, 08:58 PM
Hi All

Thanx for the reponses. The aapams came out gr8!! Can still smell the aroma. The potato stew also came out gr8!!

vizmaya
22nd July 2006, 04:58 AM
Hi,

Take quarter cup warm water and dissolve the 2 tsp of sugar in it. Add yeast and let this stay to ferment. Keep it aside, after 20 minutes u add this to the batter.

vizmaya

SmileAlways
22nd July 2006, 11:09 AM
Thanx viz