PDA

View Full Version : Today's special-- Today's menu--RECIPE

Shakthiprabha.
7th July 2006, 08:25 PM
Cooking experts can post their daily lunch or dinner of bf special or not so special items and the respective recipe.

Ppl like me would be benefited.

gnk
7th July 2006, 11:32 PM
Cooking experts can post their daily lunch or dinner of bf special or not so special items and the respective recipe.

Ppl like me would be benefited. what is BF ...?? sp akka ???

RedPepper
8th July 2006, 01:37 AM

Breakfast, I guess?

madhu
8th July 2006, 06:46 AM

mm... u can take it as breakfast or even something special made for boy friend ( hubby.. of course..! )

ab_123
8th July 2006, 08:04 AM
mm... u can take it as breakfast or even something special made for boy friend ( hubby.. of course..! )

or BY the Boyfriend/hubby... :lol:

Incidentally, I use my hubby's recipe/method for rasam (as opposed to my mom's).

SmileAlways
8th July 2006, 08:18 AM
Hey...
nice idea!!

I have always found Planning for Bf/lunch/dinner more painful than the actual execution.

So...probabaly..if someone posts what they cooked , others can plan out the menu for the next day!!

pavalamani pragasam
8th July 2006, 08:39 AM
SP, your thread starts on a spicy note! :wink:

Braandan
8th July 2006, 09:28 AM
Curry for lunch.
Separately pressure cook tuvar daal (tuvaram paruppu) and keep ready. Cut celery into cubes (one cup) and cook with a little water, adding turmeric power and salt to taste. Add two teaspoons of jeera powder and two teaspoons of red-chilli powder also and cook until celery becomes soft. Add one cup of cooked mashed tuvar daal and cook in low heat. Grind one cup of freshly grated coconut and add this and take the out of stove. In a dry kadaai pour 2 teaspoons of oil and when heated add a teaspoon of mustard and when it crackles, reduce heat and add in curry leaves. Pour the oil into the curry. Use as curry for cooked rice.

gnk
8th July 2006, 09:40 AM
I woke up at eight today ( i was working late last nite )
so ... directly lunch at eleven ..Mom s making biriyani i think .. ican smell it ..

venkathoney
8th July 2006, 12:00 PM
todays menu

drumstick sambar, potato-onion dry baji, mysore rasam

I think everyone knows the recipe for all these items :lol:

Braandan
9th July 2006, 08:33 AM
"Snow peas" are available cheap in Aus at this time of the year. They can be substituted for "avarakkaai" as they look and taste like them. (Snow peas are the same as "pachai pattaani kaai" but are thinner with very small peas in them, so small that they cannot be easily separated from the pods, which make them look like avarakkaai). So I made a poriyal of it today for lunch.

southiecook
10th July 2006, 03:05 AM
Lunch: Kathirikka kuzhambu,pavakka(kaipakka) poriyal,padavalanga koottu,salad.

Shakthiprabha.
10th July 2006, 08:38 AM
aiwa,

:D :D u know, initially when ppl used bf for breakfast even I used to get confused thoughts as to why early morning they talk bout BF? that too married ppl why talk bout bf so openly ? :rotfl: :smokesmile: :shhh: :noteeth: :rotfl2: :P

k getting back to the topic,

nice brandan and southie.

today my menu is vendakai fry, lemon rasam nothing very special.

but I made cauliflowr parota day bef yest.

Nothing great in it. u all may probably know too. Just wanted to say my rajasthani friend taught me a way to do it. She says SHRED the cauliflower, saute it using oil,
mirchi powder,
salt,
haldi,
and............
dhani powder,
jeera powder
later add lots(i mean really lots) of corriander leaves.

Now u can use this stuffing (after its back to room temperature) inside the chappati batter.

believe me it tastes YUM :thumbsup: try it.

Badri
10th July 2006, 08:48 AM
Hmm!! SP, last night, wife made Mooli Paratha (radish parata) in the same manner as you made this. Just substitute shredded radish instead of cauliflower!

dev
10th July 2006, 10:23 AM

Rasam... :P I'm not that good at making rasams except tomato rasam, jeeraga rasam & kollu rasam... every time I try the other rasams, I end up spending something like 1/2 hr to bring it to an edible form... :(

vendakkai fry... same here... vendakkai & cabbage stir fry and dhal rice... :)

dsankaran
10th July 2006, 08:15 PM
Made Brussel Sprouts Masala yesterday.

Recipe from a TV show demonstrated by Mallika Badrinath group:

Par boil Brussel Sprouts (split in half) with salt and turmeric powder. Then saute it in 1 tsp oil and set aside.

Slice onion (1/2) and saute with 2-3 pods of garlic and 1/2 inch sliced ginger. Grind this with 1 tsp Garam masala, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp amchur powder, 1/2 tsp Dhaniya-Jeera powder, enough salt and just a few pieces of blanched almonds (I used only 3 almonds). Saute this mixture in 1 tsp oil (water it down if necessary). Add Brussel sprouts, adjust salt. Let it simmer for 5 mins. Then add 2 tbsp of fresh curds and simmer (very low heat) for 2-3 mins. Garnish with cilantro.

Enjoy with Roti. (If you make this in non-stick, you can cut down on the oil a lot).

mitra
10th July 2006, 08:37 PM
:ty: for the recipe. I get lots of brussel sprouts here but dunno how to cook. I would definetly give it a go now.

madhu
11th July 2006, 07:24 AM

Rasam... :P I'm not that good at making rasams except tomato rasam, jeeraga rasam & kollu rasam... every time I try the other rasams, I end up spending something like 1/2 hr to bring it to an edible form... :(

vendakkai fry... same here... vendakkai & cabbage stir fry and dhal rice... :)

what is your exact problem with rasam ?

coz I love various rasams.. includiong viLampazha Ottu rasam and kudamiLagai rasam :P

dev
11th July 2006, 07:38 AM
what is your exact problem with rasam ?

coz I love various rasams.. includiong viLampazha Ottu rasam and kudamiLagai rasam :P

My prob with paruppu rasam is that I don't really know how to extract nice yellowish thick 'paruppu thanni' for making rasam... So, I just mash some dhal with water & use it... this way, the rasam doesn't taste that good... I cook the dhal in pressure cooker... let me know if U have a good rasam powder recipe...

Puli rasam turns out fine...but nothing great in it... Dunno whee I go wrong...

Mysore rasam...tried a few times...didn't turn out good...

greens rasam... I don't get the req greens(thuthuvalai, musumusukai) here...so, never tried it...

I don't have any idea of the rasams U've mentioned... the above mentioned are the rasam types I know of... please let me know the other rasams U make, with recipes if possible...

Anoushka
11th July 2006, 01:55 PM
My today's lunch menu is rice + broad bean green curry + cauliflower, peas and potato sabzi...

For the broad bean green curry, I soaked up the broad bean the previous night... next day boiled that with a pinch of perungaayam...

for the gravy fried garlic + one big onion + jeera, Dhaniya, coconut, saunf and kasa kasa and added corriander and curry leaf to it and made a paste..

added oil in the pan, usual seasoning of mustard, dals, etc + some onion, then added the paste and then the boiled broad beans and some salt and let it cook till the juices get into the bean :)

solona
12th July 2006, 03:14 AM
Dsath asked me for th yannai kathrikai receipe in an other thread, i did not know where to post, so I post here :

4/5 brinjals (illam kaya parthu vanganum) cut inti long strips
1/2 cup of onions finely chopped
1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon of venthiyam
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander grains
1 teaspoon chillipowder
1 cup of tamarind juice
mustard uluthamparuppu
karuvaepillai leaves/coriander leaves

Heat oil and saute the brinjal pieces until they are well coloured and then thake them away. Fry the venthiyam, cumin and coriander seeds in a bit of oil and grind into paste.
Heat oil spultter the kadugu,uluthamparruppu and karuvepillai
- add and saute the onions until colour changes
-add ginger garlic paste and some water let the gravy form
-add the grind spice paste and chilli powder fry well
-add the tamarind, salt and the brinjal pieces, crush the brinjal pieces and cook until done and then garnish with coriander leaves.

southiecook
12th July 2006, 03:59 AM
Today I had a tomato and vendakkai curry for lunch. Here is the idea : Heat oil, splutter mustard,urad dal,curry leaves and red chillies, then fry vendakkais and pearl onions. When the raw smell is gone, add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Cook covered without adding any water. Meanwhile, grind coconut,coriander powder,little jeera and a pinch of garam masala together. Add the paste to the vendakkais with sufficient water and cook until done.

Shakthiprabha.
12th July 2006, 12:05 PM
wow southie cook that sounds yum.

anou by broad beans u mean avarakkai or its bean?

dsath/solona yeNNai kathrikai can also be done with stuffings.

slit small brinjals into half on one side turn around and split into half on other side (so that after all these slits it remains one single round brinjal)

apart from the masala mentioned by solona, plain
onion-tomato
or
onion-mashed potato etc can be done too.

tastes yum (need to be lil generous with oil :roll: )

Shakthiprabha.
12th July 2006, 12:06 PM
my today's menu

raddish parota (same way mentioned before)

salad, curd.

morning :

dhalia

Anoushka
12th July 2006, 01:23 PM
Shakthi: by broad beans I mean the white dried up broad beans that I get here... :) It is fairly big when it soaks up!

Anoushka
12th July 2006, 01:25 PM
My lunch today is rice + keerai sambar + mixed veg sabzi :)

maxi
12th July 2006, 01:47 PM
i've not been active for a loooooong time, but looks like the discussion is gettting interesting.

I made murungaikkai sambar, keerai and rasam today.

dev, i got this lemon rasam recipe from Meenakshiammal cook book.

Ingredients:
green chillies (slit)
paruppu thanni (very thin - 2 karandis, a little thickish - 2 karandis)
oil (to fry chillies)
salt
ghee, mustard - to season
curry leaves
perungayam
lemon
coriander finely chopped

Procedure:
1. slit green chillies and fry them in a very little oil (as we add no rasam powder, this is the only source of kaaram), pour some water and let it boil.
2. add curry leaves and perungayam when the water is boilling and add the very thin paruppu thanni.
3. let it boil well.
4. add salt and the thickish paruppu thanni.
5. add lemon juice as is necessary
6. season with mustard
7. add cut coriander.

this is different from the normal podi potta or arachivitta rasam.
try it and give me a feedback.
Mini

dsath
12th July 2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks a lot Solona for the recipe. I will give it a go this week.
Thanks SP for the stuffing idea. I have a stuffed recipe for brinjal from an friend of mine from Andhra. They use peanuts while cooking Brinjal,which tastes really good.
My dinner menu today is Vendaikkai pachadi and fish fry. (Can't get my son to eat vendakkai without the fish!!!!).

southiecook
15th July 2006, 03:08 AM
Today's lunch: Sambar with swiss chard and poriyal made of grated carrots

dsath
18th July 2006, 10:51 PM
Don't know why this thread went quiet.
Thanks Solona for the recipe. I tried out and the results were good.

solona
19th July 2006, 10:15 AM
Had rava idli with tomato chutney today yum yum

Thnks Dsath for feedback

maxi
19th July 2006, 01:49 PM
please ignore my ignorance. what is swiss chard?

ssanjinika
20th July 2006, 02:13 AM
southiecook,made your vendakkai and tomato curry and it came out awesome.The only thing I changed in that was instead of just putting red chillies,I added chilli powder when sauteing the onions and okras :).Great recipie.Thanks!

ssanjinika
20th July 2006, 02:17 AM
please ignore my ignorance. what is swiss chard?
swiss chard is a type of green which you get.I usually add to soups and its awesome.This is how it looks

http://www.humeseeds.com/swschrd.jpg

it can also look like this..
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/swisschard1.jpg
nothng much different in them except for the colors.

Link about swiss chard

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=16

dsath
20th July 2006, 03:09 AM
Today's menu Mochai kuzhambu + egg poriyal.
Its special today because i got hold of some fresh mochai after a long time.
The way i make mochai kuzhambu is similar to sambhar, except that instead of parrupu, i add ground coconut and some crushed garlic before tempering to give the extra flavour.

cynthia_a02
20th July 2006, 06:30 PM
Today's menu is spinach kulambhu and murungaikai-kathirikai fry and bolied egg.

southiecook
22nd July 2006, 03:41 AM
I am sorry max, could check this thread now only.

Thank you Sanjinika, for posting the swiss chard links and also for trying out the curry :-)