PDA

View Full Version : Are you Nostalgic?

ssanjinika
10th July 2006, 09:45 PM
Wikipedia describes Nostalgia as a longing for the past, often idealized and unrealistic.
I suddenly get these unrealistic longing for those hot summer days spent outside a movie theater(most often than not it was jayanthi or theagaraja) waiting to catch what ever movie was running that week.Sometimes my mind takes me further backwards to those last day of exams waiting for the bell to go off just so I could run home and start enjoying my holidays.Some other times I remember cutting college and going off to one of the mount road theaters to watch a movie.Interestingly all my nostalgic memories seem to be of hot days :).
So tell us what you are most nostalgic for?

Bipolar
11th July 2006, 04:56 AM
Nostalgia? Oh yes, I know that feeling very well... How I wish I could return to my younger days! Life seemed so much simpler then... Sometimes, I think life could still be simple, but I guess, the older we grow, the more seriously we take ourselves, and the things in our lives - that's the problem! When you're young, you are somewhat carefree - that, I think, is the secret of freedom - freedom from worry - the secret of finding a kind of peace of mind - the secret of happiness!!! I want to be young again! I want to return to the 1980s and the 1990s! I want to watch the classic films from those days again! I want to listen to those songs - Ilayaraja's hits and AR Rahman's hits! I want to watch those famous cricket matches again! Those days, when we got secret updates on the score from the guy who would quietly sneak out to the shops just downstairs from the classroom to check the score on the TV in the tailor's! It was a world of our own!! All my friends from those days - I want to meet them, see how they are doing, what they are doing! I want to meet all the girls I had secret crushes on - most of them probably married now! I remember the jealousy I felt when I heard that my crushes had crushes on others! It was a little painful then, but now, those are sweet memories too!

I remember the days when there would be power cuts during the night, and we'd sit around lighted candles, and talk about ghosts and all that! (Yes, silly I know!) Oh there's lot's more I remember!

I'm now in my final year at university! I know it's going to hit me on my last day here (it's going to be sometime in June 2007) - I know they say boys don't cry, but I think I will have tears in my eyes... I'll miss the silly chat during lectures (which used to irritate the lecturers)! I'll miss the days when my friends and I used to go out, stay out all night, into the early hours of the morning and wake up late the next day, miss the lectures, and do the same thing the next day...

Yes, I know what nostalgia feels like, and I know it damn well!

rachel
11th July 2006, 08:33 AM
:slurp:

solona
11th July 2006, 08:48 AM
Nammakku santhosahamna natkal endral summer holidays thanae Sanjinika, athanal than unalukku hot days maelae oru hmmmmmmmmmm!

Me too, mom use to buy malligai poo, athai katta try panni, oosiyil kotkirathum, Vaegavaitha groundnuts, afternoon thookam hmm

friends kooda excursion, en vazhkayil orae thadavaithan ponaen (amma avlo strict HITLER) emm it was wonderful, years ago but still green in my memories (Kodaikkanal trip)

Appram amma podum coffee vaasam(bed coffee of course, ippalam naanae potu naanae bed kku kondu vantha than bed coffee)

En birthday vanthal amma seiyum ennai kathirikai (my favourite dish)
Pakkathu vittu Shaktivel kooda pota sandai hmmm

Eppadiya ponnal azhuthiduvaen so I ll stop here

dsath
11th July 2006, 02:23 PM

<digression>
Solona, athne ennai kathirikai recipe iruntha food sectionle konjam post panringla please.
Thanks
dsath
< end digression>

Shakthiprabha.
11th July 2006, 04:17 PM
I am .

Very much infact... so much so, that I live in nostalgia.

The sundays when I used to watch mahabharat, diff strokes, my music classes, friends, relaties, loved ones, parents...

I dont know if I wuold love to live it again. But its nice to recall. Infact its nice if i can change few incidents, where by I wont be what I am now.

not regrets........ but....... just Unfulfilled wishes.

crazy
11th July 2006, 04:36 PM
IAM VERY MUCH
iam afraid of telling........................since ppl generelly have a bad idea about me .............
iam longing for everything ...............though iam not so old...........or not old at all, i miss each and everything.........

very simple things reminds me things and ppl who i neglected............i feel sorry, iam feel depressed............i cry, but things r just the way they r

when iam eating ..............it reminds me my grandparents and aunt........wno took SO MUCH care of me, always made the food i like...........now i eat almost bread three times a day......
doing chores reminds me my grandpa........who never let me do anything.
coffee reminds me my grandma ........who always wanted me to learn making coffee................

god there is lot of things that remininds me my past............

ppl laugh at me .............when they come to know my age and my big paatti talk, but ...........................

I LIVE IN NOSTALGIA...............i know its not good, but i cant help myself.............

i wish i could make it up for me and for everyone around me, but time flew ..................i dont have much to do............or i cant do!

anyway ...........................hope my future wont be like the one iam living now.................

dsath
11th July 2006, 07:07 PM
[tscii:f6f63a395c]I guess its human nature to understand the significance of a moment only when it has passed.
What i feel most nostalgic about is the lost innocence of childhood. The days when we went to Granny’s home and ran through the yellow lentil fields, eating fresh groundnut straight from the plants. Hmm I was lucky, my children are never going to experience that. :( [/tscii:f6f63a395c]

ssanjinika
12th July 2006, 02:48 AM
Reading about the Bombay bomb blasts this morning took me to my 10th standard holidays.I spent my 10th holidays in this great city(I had visited mumbai earlier also,but 10 hols are the ones I remember the most).My chitti became a mumbaite after her marriage.She lived in Borivilli(yes the place was bombed today) and I remember her apartment and the playground.The walk to the train station.The busy roads.How I loved those road bazars.The beautiful churchgate station and the Marine drive which reminded me of a pearl necklace *sigh*.I remember the hanging gardens esp coz I had the most amazing jamuns(fruit not the sweet) Ive ever eaten there.One huge cone filled with jamuns were just 1re.
My Chitti moved to chennai not long after my stay there and I never went back to stay again though I still have a lot of family there still...Dunno if I will ever get the chance to go there again :(

solona
12th July 2006, 03:23 AM

<digression>
Solona, athne ennai kathirikai recipe iruntha food sectionle konjam post panringla please.
Thanks
dsath
< end digression>

Done, in the daily receipe thread :)

rachel
12th July 2006, 10:53 AM
:( :cry: :cry3:

anthe naal gnabagam nengillae vanthethe :lol2:

Lambretta
12th July 2006, 05:20 PM
Wikipedia describes Nostalgia as a longing for the past, often idealized and unrealistic.
I suddenly get these unrealistic longing for those hot summer days spent outside a movie theater(most often than not it was jayanthi or theagaraja) waiting to catch what ever movie was running that week.Sometimes my mind takes me further backwards to those last day of exams waiting for the bell to go off just so I could run home and start enjoying my holidays.Some other times I remember cutting college and going off to one of the mount road theaters to watch a movie.Interestingly all my nostalgic memories seem to be of hot days :).
So tell us what you are most nostalgic for?
Pah! College days.......avolo varikum thaana unga nostalgia?? :|
Wen I saw this thread title started by u, I expected u to say sumthin abt ur childhood/school days w/ ur dad's HERALD! :wink: :yes: :bluejump: :D
Dont u hav atleast 1 nostalgic memory abt the days w/ tat car (apart from the incident of the scary 1984 flood @ Greenways or watever road tat u once talked abt......u did talk rather bravely abt ur Herald ther altho tat wudnt really count as a nostalgic memory! :oops:)
C'mon do try remembering one atleast.......! :(
How abt sumthin like ur dad dropping u/pickin u up @ school once in a while (wen/if he was free) & u crawling in/out of the car's backseat thru the front door (as it has only 2-doors) like a rabbit entering/exiting its burrow (wich is exactly how my mother describes it! :oops: :lol: ).......?

ssanjinika
12th July 2006, 10:16 PM
Ahh Well Lamby I atleast had some nostalgic memories ..where are yours :devil:
I do have some memories of the esteemed Mr.Herald but Im not really nostalgic about it sorry :ashamed: .They are just some nice happy memories.I am nostalic about my childhood though..playing shuttle outside our apartment with a lot of my apartment friends..wonder where they are now :sigh2: .How abt you?Any nostalgia?Am sure you must be..afterall dont you live in the 70s :P

Lambretta
14th July 2006, 11:29 PM
Ahh Well Lamby I atleast had some nostalgic memories ..where are yours :devil:
I do have some memories of the esteemed Mr.Herald but Im not really nostalgic about it sorry :ashamed: .They are just some nice happy memories.I am nostalic about my childhood though..playing shuttle outside our apartment with a lot of my apartment friends..wonder where they are now :sigh2: .How abt you?Any nostalgia?Am sure you must be..afterall dont you live in the 70s :P
Hey sorry was too busy to reply imm'y!
No nostalgic memories of the Herald?? Aww.....now tats a pity! :oops:
In tat case, I wish my parents had tat car instead.... :wink: :2thumbsup: :bluejump:
So u lived in flats wen u wer @ Adyar? 'hope the car had a good parking space tho! I rem. in most older apartment bldgs tat werent pillar constructed, ther was no parking space for the vehicles on the ground floor....they'd be parked outside the bldgs...
I "live in the 70s"?? :lol: 'wish I REALLY had! :roll: :yes:
Well yea even I've a no. of nostalgic memories to share....esp. of the days in our old house @ Hyd....'wish we'd never sold it!
Feelin too sleepy to talk abt it all now, will revert later....so long then! :)

P_R
15th July 2006, 12:04 AM
[tscii:d6c6e0484c]I guess its human nature to understand the significance of a moment only when it has passed.
What i feel most nostalgic about is the lost innocence of childhood. The days when we went to Granny’s home and ran through the yellow lentil fields, eating fresh groundnut straight from the plants. Hmm I was lucky, my children are never going to experience that. :( [/tscii:d6c6e0484c]

Well put. One feels more nostalgic because certains things are being lost forver without the possibility of the coming generations relish it. Though I try to convince myself that they will have new amusements we did not have, the loss still makes me gloomy.

I grew up in suburban Madurai (if a town like Madurai could fancy itself to have suburbs at all in the first place). And all my memories are intertwined with nature and a simple life. Tree climbing, cycling to faraway reservoirs, cricket in a bald patch within a mullukkaadu, climbing small hillocks, hide-and- seek in plantain farms and cycling across dust and fields.

The last time I went, there was a two lane road through what was once the plantain farm behind our colony. It's become a thoroghfare (bus-route :( ) connecting our sleepy residential areas to the town. Some MLA has delivered his promise I guess.

ab_123
15th July 2006, 06:53 AM
Nostalgia? Oh yes, I know that feeling very well... How I wish I could return to my younger days! Life seemed so much simpler then... Sometimes, I think life could still be simple, but I guess, the older we grow, the more seriously we take ourselves, and the things in our lives - that's the problem! When you're young, you are somewhat carefree - that, I think, is the secret of freedom - freedom from worry - the secret of finding a kind of peace of mind - the secret of happiness!!! I want to be young again! I want to return to the 1980s and the 1990s! I want to watch the classic films from those days again! I want to listen to those songs - Ilayaraja's hits and AR Rahman's hits!

God, you must be my lost lost twin or something. So much of this applies to me too!

Yes, I miss the quality of friendships I made in my childhood (though I do still maintain some of them over email, not the same though), I miss the innocence of the time/place that I grew up in (or just the fact that we were shielded from a lot of stuff). I miss kid friendly tv. I miss not having to worry about what's for lucnh/dinner. I miss being able to sleep till 10am, I miss being able to each ice cream without worrying about calories, So much...

But in conclusion, every stage of life has positives and negatives, and we should try our best to enjoy present, and simply cherish those memories we once experienced.

rachel
15th July 2006, 08:27 AM
But in conclusion, every stage of life has positives and negatives, and we should try our best to enjoy present, and simply cherish those memories we once experienced.

:exactly:

skanthan
19th July 2006, 10:30 AM
Ahh.. Nostalgia.. Remembering the good old days..

For me, the good times were ehen I was young and going to school. Watching cartoons and comedies, eating everything I could get my hands on, going outside, playing on the playground, getting chased by girls in later years :lol: , developing keen interest in the culture etc of South India and Sri Lanka, before that, researching on Japan, and so many other pleasant memories of my early days.

bingleguy
19th July 2006, 10:33 AM
Am visiting my native this weekend :-) would have Nostalgic feelings to share tat time !

rajraj
19th July 2006, 10:35 AM
Am visiting my native this weekend :-) would have Nostalgic feelings to share tat time !

gnaabagam varudhe paattu theriyumaa? :lol: