PDA

View Full Version : problem with making boondhi

mss
11th July 2006, 10:51 AM
Hi,
Every time I make boondhi, they always turn out to be flat. When I drop the batter in the oil, it goes down to the bottom and flattens. How to correct this problem?

pavalamani pragasam
11th July 2006, 11:05 AM
Are you using the correct 'karandi', the seived 'karandi' whose holes on the under side are 'raised' unlike in the ordinary seived 'karandi'?

maxi
12th July 2006, 02:29 PM
i had a different problem. it was way toooooooo oily. i had t o throw it all as we cudnt manage to eat them. dint know waht went wrong. can anybody help me on this?

pavalamani pragasam
13th July 2006, 11:12 AM
If the batter is very thin ie too watery then boondhi absorbs a lot of oil. Please try with a batter of thicker consistency. I am also against adding soda bicarb to the batter which also makes it absorb oil.

maxi
13th July 2006, 07:29 PM
actually, i did not use any soda, so may b it was too watery. will try with a thicker one. thanks for your tip

rks
20th August 2006, 07:57 AM
another thing which I realised was that the il has to be HOT. if the oil isnt very hot, the oondhi also becomes flat. also, make sure you quickly fish it out, if you are trying to make sweet boondhi. If you let it turn brown, the sugar syrup will not be well absorbed. If you are making boondhi for topping thayir vadai, you can let it fry for a few seconds more...but I realised the difference between yellow and brown (crispy) is only around 10 seconds.