PDA

View Full Version : Yodelling in Tamil songs

Oldposts
12th July 2006, 04:08 PM
Topic started by RV (rv_subbu@hotmail.com) (@ nat-20.avanticorp.com) on Tue Mar 10 20:13:07 EST 1998.

Yodelling is rather difficult. As far as I know only Kishore Kumar in several Hindi songs has done it very well. Probably Chandra Babu could hv done it and I am sure SPB could do it. Are there any instances of yodelling in Tamil songs ?

Oldposts
LRE,SJ

Oldposts
in the film, kanimuthu papa, the song
'kalangele, kalengele' by SPB. Music by
t.v.raju. SPB did a good job.

Oldposts
Hari:

To add, that song (and the movie situation) were
copies of a similar song from a Hindi movie
starring Rajesh Khanna and Hema Malini (RK dies
in an accident).. I forgot the name of the movie.
Comparing the songs, I felt Kishore did a much
better yodelling than SPB.

Oldposts
SK

I think it is Andaaz.

Oldposts
Thanks Aravind. Enna romba naaLaa kaaNOm indha pakkam?

Oldposts
I think the Kishore song is Zindagi Ek Safar Hai Suhana. Movie is Andaz starring RK, Hema and Shammi Kapoor. Music by Shankar Jaikishan.

Ramki: Can you give some songs by LRE and SJ ?

Oldposts
RV

The male voice in the interlude of malareNra karuvaNdu sirikkattum (ALR?). Does this qualify in this category? The same thing was reproduced in one of the iruvar songs also, I think.

Oldposts
Pagalavan: Absolutely! That was a marvellous piece of yodelling. Was that ALR ?

I dont know the Iruvar one.

Oldposts
yodelling na innappa? konjam sollungallen !!!
naanum ethavathu kandu pudikka mudiyuthanu paarkiren. nanri in advance

Oldposts
RV, that yodelling in the song "Malarenra Mugamonnu Sirikkattum" is MSV in "Kaathalikka Neiramillai" - LRE sings the song.

ALR does some yodelling in the song "Paarthathum Aavalai Tharuvathu Azhaghiya Pengaley" from "Naan Yaar Theriyuma?" ( Jaishankar - Bharathi starrer ) and the other main singer of this song is TMS.

Oldposts
Also, the yodelling in "Iruvar" that Pagalavan was referring to is "Hello Mr Yethirkatchi" in which you can hear the yodelling in the background.

Oldposts
hi,

for those wondering what this yodelling stuff is:

yodel means to suddenly change one's voice from normal to a false voice
or vice versa; to sing in a trill (basically shrill vibrations).
As far as I understand this should not be confused with shruthi bEdhams.

I don't know any of the songs listed so far. I would assume SPB
should have given a lot of this stuff. yEmpA amar, ramki et al,
konjam engaLukkum therinja pAdalgaLap pOdungaLEn. :-)

Oldposts
Amar:

I think the yoddler* in malarendra mugamindru
sirikkattum is either Sadhan or Saibaba and
not MSV. I don't think MSV is capable of yoddling.
Also, seeing the popularity of that song, Sridhar
asked for a similar song from MSV/TKR in Vennira Adai.
That song is also a very nice one with excellent
yodelling by Sadhan. The song is alliththaNdu
kaalgaLeduththu aattamaadidum; it is sung by LRE.

*Is it correct to call a person who yoddles as
a yoddler?

Oldposts
In Petraalthaan Pillayaa, there is a thaalaattu
song: chella kiLiyE mella pEsu. At the
beginning there is a looong tongue-twisting by
TMS, which is very beautifully done; it's something
extremely difficult to repeat. But I am not sure
whether you can call it yodelling.

In the song nEtroru mEnagai indroru oorvasi
(Manmadha Leelai) does AV Ramanan do yodelling?

Oldposts
RV

There is a SPB solo in karunthEL kaNNaayiram that has good yodelling. I dont remember the pallavi. But the song goes like nee rOmapuri raaNi. etc.,

SK

Is there any yodelling in avaLukkenna azhagiya mugam of server sundaram?. I think it was by MSV. By the way, yes, AVR did yodelling in nEtRoru mEnagai

Oldposts
Pagalavan:

I don't think avaLukkenna has any yoddeling.

The Karunthel Kannayiram song you are referring
to: Is it poondhamalliyilE oru poNNu pinnaalE?

Oldposts
SK

Thanks for avaLukkenna clarification. Yes, the SPB song that I was referring to was poonthamalliyilE. Thanks.

Oldposts
Keerthi, Pags, Amar, RV:
The yodelling in LRE's malarendRa mugamondRu sirikkattum from Kadhalikka Neramillai is by Raju.

Oldposts
The yodelling in 'hello mr edirkatchi' is by
rajagopal.

Oldposts
Kanchana:

Thanks. Yaar andha Raju? I have never heard of him.

Oldposts
Keerthi:
Kadhalikka Neramillai title credits-il Raju-nnu mattumthAn peyar pOttirundhadhu. I also remember one MSRaju who used to do interlude hummings--same guy, possibly?

Oldposts
Yodal endra vArthaikku Tamilil
"ULaiyidal" (nari kathirathunga) enbathu sariyA ??

"kulavai" pOdurathu oru vagai yodalling ??
(lots of IR songs for poNNu vayasukku varrathu + pongaL scenes)

yAr sonnA MSVku yodal varAthunnu ?
"siva sambO" song ends with "sabara subara....."

yodalil innoru vagai - Udalin yodel
(athAvathu asaiva kAthalargaL - kaNNa pinnA moodil irukkum
pOthu - Udalil kathuvathu)
IR's imagination with SJ's voice - in
"nilAk kAyuthu nEram nalla nEram"

innoru vagai is "modhalil yodel", love paNNa Arambikkum
mun usualA hero heroine pAdum
"vevvE vovov" enbathu.
"Ada sarithAn pOdi vAyAdi, saNdaikku neeyA sari jOdi"
(from poova thalaiyA)

Oldposts
Kanchana, thanks for the clarification. I know of a song by LRE where MSV does some yodelling. If it is not this song, could it be "Muthamidum Neiramippo, Unn Mugham Thottu Kathai Sollum Neiramippo" from "Sivanthemunn". I vaguely remember some "Oolaiyidalling" in that song. Anybody with more memory of the song???

Oldposts
Amar

I too remember yodelling in muththam tharum nErameppO.. but dont know if it was rendered by MSV.

Oldposts
I am looking for yodelling wav files

Oldposts
I seriously do not know if this fits here, but still. The song "Naaldhorum" from Devadhai and "iniya malalrgal" (in the second interlude, I premise) have IR singing beutifully in false voice. The former resembles yodeling more than the latter.

Regards

Murali Sankar

Oldposts
I later is in "Poonthottam"
typo: beautifully

Oldposts
Could any body explain me what is Yodelling and where it come from?

Oldposts
Ray,
I am quoting below an explanation of Yodelling from an earlier post.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
From: aruLarasan (@ psiphi.umsl.edu) on: Wed Mar 11 16:40:10 EST 1998

hi,

for those wondering what this yodelling stuff is:

yodel means to suddenly change one's voice from normal to a false voice
or vice versa; to sing in a trill (basically shrill vibrations).
As far as I understand this should not be confused with shruthi bEdhams.

I don't know any of the songs listed so far. I would assume SPB
should have given a lot of this stuff. yEmpA amar, ramki et al,
konjam engaLukkum therinja pAdalgaLap pOdungaLEn. :-) <<<<<<

Oldposts
SPB yoddled beautifully in "Margazhip paniyil mayagiya nilayil" from "Muthana Muthallavo". The song "Ada Yennada pollatha Vaazhkai" ends with a yoddle. SPB does a half-yoddle in the superb number "keLadi yen paavaye" from "Gopura vaasalile". This IMO, is more difficult , than a normal yoddle. Listen to this song and you will appreciate the way SPB reverts to singing in his normal voice at the end of the charaNam.

PS did some yoddling in "Yenna Yenna vaarthaigaLo" from "VeNNiraadai" when she sings "vaarthaigaLo".It is not very conspicuos in a melodious female voice.

Oldposts
Sriram L,

do you remember the beginning of &#39;ammAdi poNNukku thanga manasu&#39; from rAman eththanai rAmanadi. I think MSV does some stupendous yodelling! P. susheela&#39;s &#39;vAtthaigaLO... &#39; may be the result of a &#39;semitone&#39; and not necessarily an intended yodelling.

Oldposts
Sriram L,

do you remember the beginning of &#39;ammAdi poNNukku thanga manasu&#39; from rAman eththanai rAmanadi. I think MSV does some stupendous yodelling! P. susheela&#39;s &#39;vArthaigaLO... &#39; may be the result of a &#39;semitone&#39; and not necessarily an intended yodelling.

Oldposts
Here I am with a PS number:

&#39;Kaadhalikkak KatrukkoLLungaL&#39; - a duet by TMS-PS from Deiva Magan has both yodelling in the end of the song - the one by PS is just great!!!

Oldposts
L.R. Eswari is less talked about here. How many times, she has yodelled beautifully .
"Naan oru kadhal sanyasi...Oor vittu oor sellum ullasiiiiiiiieeeaeee". and many such yodellings.
Her voice is also well suited for yodelling

Oldposts
&#39;Kaadhalikkak KatrukkoLLungaL&#39; - from Deiva Magan has some male yodelling in the beginning of the song, too. Don&#39;t know if it is TMS.

Oldposts
There is some beautiful (female) yoddling in this song also: Thudikkum Karangal [83]- Dir CV Sridhar - Sandhanam poosa manjal nilavum -SPB,? - Music: SPB.

RR
12th July 2006, 04:14 PM
[tscii:d2bfcd5f7e]Revived this topic following the discussion in another thread on a comment by Mohd Aslam (singer of 'ilamai') in Kumudam

காட் ஃபாதரில் வரும் ‘இளமை’ பாடலில் அப்படியென்ன விசேஷம்?

‘‘தமிழ் பாடல்கள்ல முதல் முறையாக ‘யோட்லிங்’ (yodelling) ஸ்டைலில் ‘இளமை’ பாடலைக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார் ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான். ‘லா... லா... ல்லூ... ல்லலூ’னு குரலை ஏத்தி இறக்கி பாடுற ஸ்டைல்தான் யோட்லிங். இந்தப் பாடல் தமிழுக்கு ரொம்பப் புதுசாக இருக்கும்.’’ [/tscii:d2bfcd5f7e]

app_engine
12th July 2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks RR, for reviving this thread. This is exactly the one I was referring.

To me it's almost certain that barring technological innovations, almost every other strictly musical nuance has at some point of time been attempted / perfected in TFM. (Some of them may be packaged as `entirely new' in some trends abroad / north, but it's really only repackaging. A classic example is rap...). There may be a few rare & real exceptions and innovations that are genuinely attempted by new MD's, but not every one that's claimed by such flashy loudmouth'd interviews...

app_engine
12th July 2006, 07:46 PM
It's one thing for some ordinary folk to comment in DF or a similar forum that IR has done that first, ARR invented this etc. But for someone in the industry to declare in press (without checking the facts) that they are the first to do something is definitely objectionable and condemnable.

venus05
17th July 2006, 06:20 AM
I do not know if somebody had already mentioned this song "kalangalae Kalangale Kadhal isai" by SPB. SPB did a excellent job in yodelling in this song.
Thanks.

Manisekaran
17th July 2006, 11:42 AM
This yodelling was a concept copied from Venice, where the Italian boat riders (Gandolas?) use to sing to entertain the passengers.

One may want to recollect the foolowing songs as well:

1) Pathumaithano by PBS in Koodi Vaazhnthaal Kodi Nanmai-to myu knowledge the best of PBS.

2) Unnai Arinthaal in Vettaikkaran where ALRagavan does it for MGR. The only song of LAR for MGR

3) Hello My Dear Rami in Puthayal where both ALR an d Chandrababu do it (the first cinema song by ALR)

4) Thangathamma Thangaathu Samsaram Thangathu-by Chandrababu where K. Jamunarani does nothing but yodelling.

Manisekaran

balaji
18th July 2006, 12:15 AM
Welcome Mani Sir!

In spite of your busy schedule, we are gald to see your postings..

Sorry for bugging! Any chance you will continue your contributions on the Raaja-Raaja Than postings

Even if that is not possible, please do not stop posting ..

Your postings are always enriching

Bala

Manisekaran
18th July 2006, 07:44 AM
Dear Balaji, Thanks.

Right now I am in a resort Langkawi Island for a seminar. Happened to be free for a moment. Will steal some time to post on IR. Have spoken to RAJARAMAN.

Tks
Mani

s ramaswamy
19th July 2006, 09:29 PM
what abt the kadalikka neramillai song by lre and raju... excellent yodelling by the latter, azhagendra mugam ondru sirikkattum. the dance movements, typical of what we call break dance now, by nagesh as early as 1964 and the reactions of muthuraman are worth mentioning.

krish244
25th July 2006, 06:23 PM
"Keladi en Paavaiye" from "Gopura Vasalile" has little yodelling by SPB (a little one at the end of first stanza and at a little at the end of the song).

thanks,

Krishnan

bobgalee
5th August 2006, 01:20 PM
Sorry to include a non tamil song here

SPB ji does a wonderful job in doing yoddling with perfection in the track MAINE PYAAR KIYA (listen before the first CHARANAM -is oolleele ooleele voo Yodling?) FROM the MALAYALAM feature film CID MOOSA.

The song is composed by Vidya Sagar.

Comments Awaited