PDA

View Full Version : Ludes of MSV

Billgates
6th July 2006, 06:55 PM
Preludes and interludes which were a different tune from the main tune of the song, while it maintained the mood of the song was predominantly popularised by IR. Before that the prelude will be almost the instrumental version of the main song and interludes will be some fill music. Although there were many other composers like Salida and MSV, who used this technique of different prelude occasionaly, IR was the one to use it extensively and popularise it :)

Mr. Rajasaranam

You seem to have little knowledge on MSV music or probably no idea at all !

You should listen to his compositions first & then comment about him.

Better learn music first & then comment about a genius like MSV .

However, I will agree with you on what you mentioned about Ilayaraja . He revolutionised tfm on interludes with more variety

MusicIsLife
7th July 2006, 09:51 PM
Billgates
it is inappropriate to pass comments just like that, you could have given some examples

But what i thought IR did remarkably different was start a song with music than the song itself. See the progress from Annakili to other movies in the same era.

rajasaranam
8th July 2006, 09:04 PM
Mr. Rajasaranam

However, I will agree with you on what you mentioned about Ilayaraja . He revolutionised tfm on interludes with more variety

Mr.BillGates,
Ok jump at me after quoting some examples.
AS far I have listened to MSV's music-pre 1976 his preludes were the instrumental version, same as the main tune of the song, most of the time [say 90% :)]
Only after the advent of IR this got changed.

Billgates
11th July 2006, 07:50 PM
[tscii:6d91d37611]

Mr. Rajasaranam

Mr.BillGates,
AS far I have listened to MSV's music-pre 1976 his preludes were the instrumental version, same as the main tune of the song, most of the time [say 90% :)]

Not sure whether you are aware of the follg songs & none of them have relation to the main tune :

Sivandha mann – Oru raja raniyidam
Kadhalikka neramillai – Naalaam naalam thirunaalam
Ooty varai uravu - Thedinen vandhadhu
Parakkum paavai - Kalayana naal paarka
Deiva thaai – Oru pennai paarthu nilavai paarthen
Engal thangam – Thanga padhakathin mele
Vaazkai padagu – Aayiram penmai malaruttme
Enga veetu pillai – Kangalum kaavadi sindhadattum
Avargal – Kaatrukenna veli ( don’t say that this came after IR’s arrival ! )
Pasam – Ulagam pirandhadhu enakaaga
Ulagam suttrum vaaliban – Thanga thoniyile & Lilli malarukku
Nadodee – Thirumi vaa oliye thirumbi vaa

The above songs infact have a lengthy preludes & they are in no way linked to main song but sync beautifully !

It’s a big list. I have just given few examples to you so that you may get enlightened

By the way, I am a woman….. So Ms only pls !

Besides, I too love IR music but no comparisons with MSV pls [/tscii:6d91d37611]

rajasaranam
11th July 2006, 11:27 PM
Not sure whether you are aware of the follg songs & none of them have relation to the main tune :

Sivandha mann – Oru raja raniyidam
Kadhalikka neramillai – Naalaam naalam thirunaalam
Ooty varai uravu - Thedinen vandhadhu
Parakkum paavai - Kalayana naal paarka
Deiva thaai – Oru pennai paarthu nilavai paarthen
Engal thangam – Thanga padhakathin mele
Vaazkai padagu – Aayiram penmai malaruttme
Enga veetu pillai – Kangalum kaavadi sindhadattum
Avargal – Kaatrukenna veli ( don’t say that this came after IR’s arrival ! )
Pasam – Ulagam pirandhadhu enakaaga
Ulagam suttrum vaaliban – Thanga thoniyile & Lilli malarukku
Nadodee – Thirumi vaa oliye thirumbi vaa

The above songs infact have a lengthy preludes & they are in no way linked to main song but sync beautifully !

It’s a big list. I have just given few examples to you so that you may get enlightened

By the way, I am a woman….. So Ms only pls !

Besides, I too love IR music but no comparisons with MSV pls [/tscii:49f14f9db3]

Ms.Billgates

Fine I remember every tune of the song you have mentioned here and have listened to them umpteen times. But the preludes never got registered in my mind [except the Aaaaa.... for Katrukkenna Veli] :huh: hence i should have slipped in telling MSV's song dont have a different prelude. IMO MSV's songs were more popular for their simple yet beautiful tunes and that is why they get registered well while he dont give much importance to the preludes and interludes.
On the other end IR used to give us richly orchestrated songs with beautiful preludes and interludes, which gets registered well in our minds.that is why when i sing [ a bathroom singer ofcourse ] his songs, i start right from humming the prelude move on to the song, then, hum the interludes, and then, finish of the song.
This is not my individual experience it happens to many, i have noticed who tries singing an IR song. If not why then there are many articles and posts right here in TFM page discussing the preludes and interludes of Raja. Infact the Forum even conducted a contest on 'Ludes of Raja'.
This post is not to demean MSV in any way. It is a thought i have that IR gave new dimensions and colors to the preludes and interludes in his songs and MSV was very good at coming up with nice tunes. That is why when they worked together MSV was assigned to set the tune while IR was assigned to Orchestrate :notworthy:

s ramaswamy
12th July 2006, 06:53 PM
Hi,

Guys like Rajasaranam are typical of he generation which has grown up with post IR. On the contrary people like me have grown up with the VR (visu-ramu) era, that should be really called the golden period of tfm.

VR have given so many varieties of preludes and interludes which have abs no connection with the tune of the song that follows, but at the same time blends in beautifully with the latter part that they should be rightly called the geniuses of tfm. I will give only one example -- the tms song from paasam - ulagam piranthuthu enakkaga, in which the prelude is different and the interlude between each stanza varies.
there are four stanzas in all.

I want nincompoops like rajasaranam to listen to this outstanding number and many more. can't digest the general impression of these post ir generations that the songs before his arrival were not good. on the contrary i feel they are far better than what ir and a host of others have composed later.

and another song i would recommend, just for the sake of justfiying my point while there are so many in all, is the en vaazvil puthuppadai kanden by ps in thanga padumai. ask this gentleman who feels msv is a run of the mill composer to listen to this song from the late 1950s (VR).

And there are very subtle differentiations even in the same interludes by msv. he changes the order of usage of instruments to provide the difference (example is ooty varai uravu song poo malayin ore malligai).

I have seen many stupid comments in these forums like the one terming tms's voice as nasal etc, but the one by rajasaranam takes the cake.

Billgates
12th July 2006, 07:42 PM
:huh: hence i should have slipped in telling MSV's song dont have a different prelude. IMO MSV's songs were more popular for their simple yet beautiful tunes and that is why they get registered well while he dont give much importance to the preludes and interludes.
On the other end IR used to give us richly orchestrated songs with beautiful preludes and interludes, which gets registered well in our minds.that is why when i sing [ a bathroom singer ofcourse ] his songs, i start right from humming the prelude move on to the song, then, hum the interludes, and then, finish of the song.
This is not my individual experience it happens to many, i have noticed who tries singing an IR song. If not why then there are many articles and posts right here in TFM page discussing the preludes and interludes of Raja. Infact the Forum even conducted a contest on 'Ludes of Raja'.
This post is not to demean MSV in any way. It is a thought i have that IR gave new dimensions and colors to the preludes and interludes in his songs and MSV was very good at coming up with nice tunes. That is why when they worked together MSV was assigned to set the tune while IR was assigned to Orchestrate :notworthy: [/tscii]

Mr. Rajasaranam

All the above numbers are quite famous songs even today . I am surprised how you couldnt remember the BGM & interludes !

Infact what I did list yesterday were just few.
Have you listened to Vennira Adai songs ? Terrific preludes & interludes all the way . This movie is an audio delight ! Noone till date could have used PIANO the way it was used for Enna enna varthaigalo or Kannan ennum mannan perai

Oops. I have missed out the preludes for Rajavin paarvai raniyin pakkam :D

In a way what you said was partly true . MSV probably composed tunes to meet with the situation warranted as he was very particular that the song should be part of the movie but not decide the course of the movie !

No doubt IR revolutionised this concept of preludes & interludes BY LAUNCHING WESTERN INSTRUMENTS like Guitar - lead & Bass

Mr. Ramaswamy - Cool down pls ! I dont think Rajasaranam has denounced MSV :D Infact he has highlighted the great strengths of MSV - EXPERTISE ON COMPOSING TUNES :D

Billgates
12th July 2006, 07:59 PM
Mr.Rajasaranam

This arrow is at you again :D Pl listen to Ponmagal vandhaal - Sorgam - Shivaji movie.

You will be amazed by the thunderous preludes WHICH WILL HAVE NO CONNECTION AT ALL TO THE MAIN TUNE OF THE SONG
Listen to the interludes section also & comment

EXPECTING YOUR COMMENTS PLS :D

rajasaranam
12th July 2006, 09:36 PM
Hi,
Guys like Rajasaranam are typical of he generation which has grown up with post IR. On the contrary people like me have grown up with the VR (visu-ramu) era, that should be really called the golden period of tfm.

Not necessarily there are many over here who consider the 80's as the Golden Period Of TFM when a composer was elevated to the status of a SuperStar and his Image was put up on posters in order to lure the film audience.

VR have given so many varieties of preludes and interludes which have abs no connection with the tune of the song that follows, but at the same time blends in beautifully with the latter part that they should be rightly called the geniuses of tfm. I will give only one example -- the tms song from paasam - ulagam piranthuthu enakkaga, in which the prelude is different and the interlude between each stanza varies.
there are four stanzas in all.

I want nincompoops like rajasaranam to listen to this outstanding number and many more. can't digest the general impression of these post ir generations that the songs before his arrival were not good. on the contrary i feel they are far better than what ir and a host of others have composed later.

Thanks for pointing out that Iam a nincompoop. But try reading my first post, where I never said anything wrong about MSV and just said they too have given songs with Different preludes and Interludes while IR bettered in this aspect. And moreover I stood corrected after Ms.Billgates pointed out with some examples and gave the reasons as to why I dont rememeber them. Do you know Englipisssh then READ all the above posts and tell me where I have said that songs before IR's arrival were not good. After analysing this try finding out who is a 'nincompoop' :P

and another song i would recommend, just for the sake of justfiying my point while there are so many in all, is the en vaazvil puthuppadai kanden by ps in thanga padumai. ask this gentleman who feels msv is a run of the mill composer to listen to this song from the late 1950s (VR).

And there are very subtle differentiations even in the same interludes by msv. he changes the order of usage of instruments to provide the difference (example is ooty varai uravu song poo malayin ore malligai).

I Would recommed a song title 'Senthazham Poovil' where in there are three different interludes and each interlude elevates the song its mood and the lyrics to an entirely different plane. especially the magudi like sound just before 'Valainthu nelinthu Pogum Paathai' was brilliant to relate 'Valainthu nelinthu' to a 'Snake' and in turn relating it to the sound of the magudi.
Or try listening to 'Vaanuyrandha Solayilae' where in just before lyrics 'Aatrangarai Orathilae Yaarumatra nerathilae Veetriruntha Manarparappu Vethanayai Koorumadi' He adds up a eery kind of blowing air sound and a single Kuyil screeching.
The mental Imagery these kind of Subtle idioms produces are greater and reaches far high than any other composer Living or Dead IMHO.

I have seen many stupid comments in these forums like the one terming tms's voice as nasal etc, but the one by rajasaranam takes the cake.

rajasaranam
12th July 2006, 09:45 PM
Mr.Rajasaranam

This arrow is at you again :D Pl listen to Ponmagal vandhaal - Sorgam - Shivaji movie.

You will be amazed by the thunderous preludes WHICH WILL HAVE NO CONNECTION AT ALL TO THE MAIN TUNE OF THE SONG
Listen to the interludes section also & comment

EXPECTING YOUR COMMENTS PLS :D

The less than 10 seconds prelude is too small to analyze while it does gives the opening punch to the song. But the interesting aspect of the song was the second lengthy interlude with amazing choral works and nicely interwoven music. :claps:
But As mentioned earlier the Tune of the song is overpowering these ludes and that is what is the power of MSV.
While I reiterate that IR gave us the songs as a complete package rather than concentrating on one aspect alone. :notworthy:

And please If you people Excuse Us let we people Discuss On Raja's Contributions over here and I will be obliged to visit a thread if you start on the ludes of MSV and sure to pour in some comments.

umaramesh
13th July 2006, 12:22 PM
Prelude of YAAR ANTHA NILAVU/ KUYILAGA NAAN IRUENTHENA(jaishankar movie)/MADHANA MALLIGAI(twist and turn throughout the song). ALANGARAM KALYANTHA SILAI ONRU KANDEN(hear the violin part in interlude) etc etc.

Yes IR is genius and gave different style when he stormed TFM but does not mean he is greatest.

yes. When VR started together there was lot of criticism about style and method. MSV gave new dimension to TFM and moved from carnatic base and adopted light music base. MSV tried jazz/western type in those days. Those who started listening music post IR era would not have listened these songs and by nature they will say IR IS BEST.

Point is new style and revolution not happend only after IR arrival but it was happend prior to IR and after IR also.

regards
ramesh

S.Balaji
13th July 2006, 01:31 PM
You all have missed out - Malar edhu un kangal thaan endru solvenadee - Avalukendru oru manam ! One of the lenghthiest preludes & interludes of MSV . I believe IR & GKV were also part of this epic composition which was made at a rapid speed in just 30 minutes span !

Again, Ulagamengum orey mozhi - Nadodee has one of the unique ludes with violin being used in 2 aspects , as base & as lead

Ramesh has already mentioned Yaar andha nilavu a song which was way ahead of times then !

Billgates has highlighted Venira aadai
True ! I havent seen Piano being used so effectively !

Why noone has mentioned Enge nimmadhi
IMO, only Madai thirandhu of Raja can be on par with this composition !

Oru Raja raniyidam - Starts with a different prelude & has 3 different interludes !

Thamizukkum amudhendru peyar - Again has very lengthy preludes totally different from main theme but jells very well !

Avalukkennna - Server Sundaram - is an outstanding song with superb preludes & interludes , each one different !

THE LIST IF ENDLESS . :D

umaramesh
13th July 2006, 01:40 PM
Balaji

forgive me for not mentioning about MALAR EDHU&PUTHIYA PARAVAI :banghead:

Would like to add THEDYI NAAYANE VANDHU from Ootivari uravu.
jazz kind of prelude .

Prelude of PAARUVAM ENADHU PADAL :roll:

ramesh

S.Balaji
13th July 2006, 01:50 PM
Balaji

forgive me for not mentioning about MALAR EDHU&PUTHIYA PARAVAI :banghead:

Would like to add THEDYI NAAYANE VANDHU from Ootivari uravu.
jazz kind of prelude .

Prelude of PAARUVAM ENADHU PADAL :roll:

ramesh

Ramesh

Malar edhu patriya info ( about IR-GKV participation ) neenga dhaane koduthadhu in MSV thread ! :D Eppadi marakalaam ??

Listening to the preludes, one will conclude that they will get a feel of swimming !

Ofcoure Parumenadhu padal was outstanding ! Did you notice during interludes - Oru Arabian music will surface from nowhere through flutes !! mesmerising ! :D

Not to forget the trumphet interludes during Adho andha paravai pola !

Pavam MSV - He is so down to earth person & humble - Avarukke avarudaya saadhanai patriya arumai theriyadhu ! It seems he has great memory loss !

Parunga Ramesh - Even after 50 years MSV songs will be heard at large :D

S.Balaji
13th July 2006, 02:24 PM
Do I need to say anything more about : THANGA PADHAKATHIN MELE ?The very fact that ARR himself was inspired says it all !

The arrangement of preludes & interludes for this song & the speed with which the ludes are structured !

There is another song - Naan alavodu rasipavan - from the same movie Engal thangam . Though this song was overshadowed due to the splendid rhythm of Thanga padhakathin , this song was another gem with lovely ludes using flute & violin !

The interludes of Pattathu Raani paarkum paarvai - INTIMIDATING

thumburu
13th July 2006, 02:26 PM
the grand trumpet opening in "naan oru kaadhal sanyasi" and the mega prelude and interludes of "pachhai kiLi muthu charam" for puratchi thalaivar still give me goose pimples.

umaramesh
13th July 2006, 03:11 PM
Thumbru

You have mentioned great songs. I was thinking about PACHAIKILI.from USV . thanks for pointing out the same.

Our balaji has writeen(may be done research ) about MSV songs in current topics not only in general terms but how MSV improvised tune/interlude etc etc. for reference pl check his postings.

As I use to say quiet often we have discussed all these years about MSV but we continue to discuss and as pointed out by balaji we will discuss in future also.

The less than 10 seconds prelude is too small to analyze

please hear MALAR ETHU&PACHAIKILLI MUTHHU CHARAM &PARUVAM ENADHU PADAL I think it is more than 10 seconds.
We have listed only few songs ..list is endless.

ramesh

umaramesh
13th July 2006, 04:55 PM
prelude and interlude of NAAN THANANTHI KATTU RAJA. awesome.

Unnakena melay ninrai/kanna kannum kangal mella. Hope this is enough.

ramesh

vijayr
13th July 2006, 07:48 PM
I think this thread should be moved to "memories of yesteryears" section rather than current topics where its bound to get pushed up soon(admin??)

One of my favourites, that blew me away when I first listened to it and compelled me to look at MSV from a different angle was the Jazz pioneer "varavendum oru pozhudhu" -piano/brass/drums all having rollicking fun and then just about slowing down to set the mood for LRE's crooning. Listen to it here
http://www.tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://www.dhool.com/sotd/vara.rm

Havent listened to anything close to this from other MDs of those times be it TFM or HFM. Jazz seemed to be exclusively MSV's playground at that time.

rra
14th July 2006, 08:34 AM
Billgates and Co: Some other songs with excellent and sometimes breathtaking preludes and/or interludes : Ahaaya Pandalile, Inbame, Anbu Nadamaadum, Manjal Mugam (Karnan-listen to the sequence of violin,flute, humming and clapping- in fact the use of Shehnai and sarangi in the whole movie is simply astounding)), Poi Vaa Magale, Ninaithale inikkum songs (Engeyum, Bharathi Kannnamma, What a waiting)..... In many cases, the preludes and interludes have been cut short
in the recordings. Even the Ponmagal Vandaal prelude is longer in the movie.
RRA

vijayr
14th July 2006, 08:55 AM
rra,even I have heard about the movie version of many songs having the right length of preludes/interludes. Its a pity that they decided to trim it down in the audio recording. Some of those songs,need to be remastered and brought out in better sound quality. I have a huge wish list. I believe many hitherto unheard instruments,basslines in MSV songs would come to the fore if properly remastered

RR
14th July 2006, 10:07 AM
vijay,

I moved it here since this topic started off discussing both IR & MSV. Don't worry, I'll move it to MOY if the visibility drops.

vijayr
14th July 2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks RR.
Another one from later years- vaLamaana bhoomiyil from ore vaanam ore bhoomi , a KJY-MSV favourite of mine,one of many such. KB,Strings,sitar pieces folowed by a smooth mridhangham rhythm pattern that sets the tempo for the song.

I hope paartha gnyaabagam and other songs from Pudhiya paravai have been mentioned already.

The fast flute/sitar pieces in the interludes of "namma ooru singaari" - set to a rock'n'roll rhythm but with a Hindolam(or sudhdha dhanyaasi depending on how you look at it) base.
The song has a trumpet postlude as well.

vijayr
14th July 2006, 10:59 AM
Following varavendum oru pozhudhu, another freaky song for me was Rock Rock Rock by Chandrababu/VNS from Pathibakthi.Listen to this if you havent. Not so much for preludes/interludes but for the whole song itself. The song effortlessly switches between rock'n'roll and Ataana(heavy raaga not commonly handled in TFM) with Chandrabubu's English accent in stark contrast to VNS. MSV's madness in full display:-)

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.5209/

umaramesh
14th July 2006, 11:26 AM
Hi vijay

One of my favourites, that blew me away when I first listened to it and compelled me to look at MSV from a different angle was the Jazz pioneer "varavendum oru pozhudhu" -piano/brass/drums all having rollicking fun and then just about slowing down to set the mood for LRE's crooning. Listen to it here

This song was discussed under jazz category in other site. one should have some knowledge about music to realise this master piece.

Rra: you are right .Unfortunately most of the MSV songs preludes were edited . Prelude of THOOTAL POO MALARUM is amazing .Sogn starts with TMS/PS humming followed by violin bit but unfortunately this portion got edited .

Prelude&Interlude of ELLORUM NALAM VAZHA NAAN PADUVAEN from ENGA MAMA .Outstanding composistion.

ramesh

venus05
15th July 2006, 10:01 AM
1. "Ellorum Nalam" is really out of the world composition. If Iillya Nila is considered ultimate song for Guitar, Idhu oru pon mali pozhuthu/Kuzhaludhum kannanukku for flute then this one is for Piano. Listen to the Piano in preludes and interludes. Somewhere I read that it was played by Henry Manuel father of Viji Manuel. I think it is one of the gems by the Mega combo by Sivaji,MSV,Kannadhasan and TMS. If you start counting this combos gems, it is a huge list.

2. Another one is "Nilavai parthu vanum sonnathu" by TMS. Guess what the length of the prelude is 36 seconds. Listen to the Whistle and followed by the flute. I feel this flute part is very IRish. I read somewhere that KD wrote this song when he had difference of opinion with Kamaraj. Kamaraj did not want to see him once he wanted to visit him or something like that. Very meaningful lines.

Thanks.

s ramaswamy
15th July 2006, 10:55 AM
Hi,

Continuing on this topic, what abt the prelude to the superb tms-ps no "Pesuvathu Kiliya" in panathottam. The original prelude, which is seen in the movie, is a lengthy one with vioilin prominent before the bango drums starts to synchronise with mgr knocking saroja devi on the head with his knuckles from the top of the fiat car.

The interludes between the stanzas is the same but for the subtle difference in that the first one uses violin and the second one uses accordion most prominently. It is these sorts of subtle differences that the great duo of VR bring which captivates the listerners to this day.

For the information this movie was released in 1963 or so - and the song as well as most others in this movie - for example the drunken duet "javvadi medayittu, sakkarayil pongalittu" and the tms solo (a ypical mgr no) 'Heh ennathan nadakkum nadakkatume, irutinil needhi marayattume" - have stood the test of time for almost half a century. No need to say more!

s ramaswamy
15th July 2006, 11:12 AM
Hi,

Talking abt jazz nos, what abt the LRE solo "aadavaralam paadavaralaam paathi udalai thedi varalam". I still remember the prelude of this song being used as signature tune in ceylon radio for one of their weekly programmes along in the 1960s along with the excellent MB Srinivavasan composed no (PBS and S Janaki duet) "Thnnangeethu Unjalile" in "Paathai Theriyuthu paar".

And in Jaya TV's Thenkinnam programme (I don't know how many watch this on weekday nights between 11 and 12 pm or during daytime between 9 30 and 10 30 am) the prelude is the last song in Kaadikka Neramillai (Nenjathai Allikkonjam Tha Tha Tha) which is another mindboggling no in that movie (one of the best ever comedies in Tamil films along with the Kamal starrer Michael Mathana Kaamarajan).

The variety of songs that VR and then MSV gave is simply out of this world. They have not been appreciated as much as the later MDs like Ilayaraja. I wish the current generation listens to their compositions which music talent programmes aired by sun and jaya tvs achieve to some extent when the emphasis is on old songs.

umaramesh
15th July 2006, 11:27 AM
Hi venus

Another one is "Nilavai parthu vanum sonnathu" by TMS. Guess what the length of the prelude is 36 seconds. Listen to the Whistle and followed by the flute. I feel this flute part is very IRi

You have pointed out another gem of MSV. flute sound will be different. As pointed out in the earlier mails this portion of interlude also edited . I never heard this in VB&madras A.

ramesh

Billgates
16th July 2006, 02:36 PM
Naan nandri solven , a P.Susheela & MSV ( doing just humming ) is one of the all time hits of MSV with his favourite rhythms !
This number had a long prelude ( but I have never heard this in VB ) but its found in the album

Nice to see so many responses on MSV !

So, no one has forgotten MSV & his great contributions !

vijayr
16th July 2006, 10:19 PM
Billgates,incidentally I have been hunting for the song Naan nandri solven everywhere with no luck. If any of you happen to have it in mp3, will request you to upload it in coolgoose or elsewhere. The realaudio version of it is in musicindiaonline. Every other song in Kuzhandhaiyum dheivamum including anbulla maanvizhiye is available, except for this elusive one.

venus05
16th July 2006, 11:21 PM
BillGates,
What made you think that MSV/TKR were forgotton?

As long as qualiy TFM listeners around their songs will be
heard and appreciated.

Thanks.

umaramesh
17th July 2006, 12:46 PM
Hi billgates

Nice to see so many responses on MSV !

So, no one has forgotten MSV & his great contributions

I think you felt like that because MSV fans are not active through net(while compare to IR&ARR fans).

regards
ramesh

S.Balaji
17th July 2006, 01:29 PM
When Billgates mentioned about Naan nandri solven, I recollected another gem - Anbulla maan viziye ! . though the preludes are a a curtain raiser to the pallavi, MSV used lead guitar !

Lovely ! :D

S.Balaji
17th July 2006, 01:38 PM
The violin-trumphet preludes followed by flute were a thunderous start to INBAMAY....UNDHAN PER PENMAYO

This song moves at jet speed !

One of the best of Makkal thilagam !

thumburu
17th July 2006, 04:13 PM
MSV must have been the pioneer in trumpet usage which IR faithfully followed suit.
Who can forget the prelude and interlude music of "indru vandha endda mayakkam" with PS's honey soaked voice ["KKadavulada"] . "Thangathoniyile" from USV with south east asian flavour in the prelude and interlude music is such a delight

S.Balaji
17th July 2006, 05:56 PM
True Thumburu .

I could sense that in Yadhum oore yaavarum kelir - Ninaithale inikkum - trumphets everywhere here !

Trumphets again in Paramasivan kazuthilirundha paambu kettadhu !

How did I forget Parakkum pandhu parakkum - the guitar -Violin interludes are one of the lengthiest & way ahead of times !

Not to forget - Kalyana naal paarka chollalaamaa - trumphets & double bass !! vow !

unbeatable interludes for the above 2 songs :D

umaramesh
17th July 2006, 06:08 PM
Trumphets in the same movie O MARY THILROOPA song in the prelude and interlude.

I am recollecting song from the film VARUVAN VADIVELAN .

Joyful singapore(spb/ps) amazing orchestra .

ramesh

S.Balaji
17th July 2006, 06:23 PM
Trumphets in the same movie O MARY THILROOPA song in the prelude and interlude.

I am recollecting song from the film VARUVAN VADIVELAN .

Joyful singapore(spb/ps) amazing orchestra .

ramesh

Adhe padathula - Naan endral adhu avalum naanum - the preludes are with trumphets . though few seconds only but still captivating !

Kadhal vilayada kattil idhu kanne - has lots of trumphet interludes :D

vijayr
17th July 2006, 07:16 PM
dont forget the grand opening to "adho andha paravai pola" and the interludes which feature brass

umaramesh
18th July 2006, 11:23 AM
[b]Kadhal vilayada kattil idhu kanne - has lots of trumphet interludes

Amazing song . first interlude starts with guitar followed PS/SPB humming. Excellent rendition by SPB/PS

ramesh

S.Balaji
18th July 2006, 05:13 PM
Anyone has mentioned PAADUVOR PAADINAAL - Kanna en kadhalan ?

After a brief virutham type from TMS, there will be VIRTUAL WAR between Piano-violin-drums-tabla

& the war will continue during charanam also !

& Makkal thilagam with a Blazer - Handsome :D

umaramesh
18th July 2006, 05:57 PM
KANN PONNA POOKILLE fast paced western type of violin in interludes. In this scene also MGR with slight dance movement and smartly dressed.

ramesh

rra
19th July 2006, 11:09 AM
Balaji: Another wonderful example of MSV's mastery over orchestration. Here again, the full movie version has much more preludes, interludes, postludes. You do get to hear it on the radio once in a while these days.
RRA

umaramesh
19th July 2006, 02:40 PM
MSV mixed folk and western type in the following songs very effectively.

KETTOKODI URUMI MELAM- Pattikada Pattanama
AIYAYA MELLA THATTU- En Thambi.

regards
ramesh

thumburu
19th July 2006, 03:20 PM
"Marandhe pochu romba naaL aachu", what a groovy start with guitar , drums and most of all SPB's romantic, youthful voice with a punch - "Athaiyaa maamiyaa"

Nakeeran
19th July 2006, 03:25 PM
The preludes to AZAGIYA THAMIL MAGAL IVAL & INTERLUDES - shows that MSV is an expert in Chorus .

To my memory, I can list many such chorus interludes wonderfully used :

a. Azagiya thamil magal
b. Enge nimmadhi
c. Devane ennai parungal
d. Oru raja raniyidam
e. Palli arai kul vandha pulli mayile - This song has TMS-PS doing splendid support

I think , the list of chorus interludes are much more :D

s ramaswamy
19th July 2006, 05:52 PM
Balaji,

You have mentioned the fantastic tms solo in kannan en kaadhalan. but the percussion sound is of mridangam and not tabla. the incomparable vr duo had given similar treatment to the ps song in panchavarnakkili earlier (sathiyam sivam sundaram...azhagan muruganidam aasai vaithen) where again they have used mridangam as part of the interlude.

both msv and tkr have also used shehnai to great effect in so many songs apart naadaswaram (oli mayamana ethirkalam and poo mudippal antha poonguzhali). KV mahadevan's brilliant hehanai usage in the unforgettable csj-ps duet kaaviyama oviyama in paavai vilakku is also worth mentioning here.

vijayr
19th July 2006, 07:34 PM
Shenai piece in the first interlude of "iravum nilavum vaLarattume" from Karnan is memorable-supposedly played by the Shenai maestro Bismillah khan

Nakeeran
19th July 2006, 07:43 PM
Shenai piece in the first interlude of "iravum nilavum vaLarattume" from Karnan is memorable-supposedly played by the Shenai maestro Bismillah khan

What I could hear was 2 shenais - One taking the lead & another supporting it !
Innovation of sorts by MSV ! :D

Normally we have seen violin - base & lead , similarly guitar but this composition was extrordinary !

Nakeeran
19th July 2006, 07:45 PM
The preludes & interludes for MALAI POZUDHIN MAYAKATHILE - a combination of Veena & mirudhangam & shenai midway -

TERRIFIC !

Bringing mild pathos to the situation !

IR once acknowledged that this song was special to him !

s ramaswamy
19th July 2006, 09:37 PM
Heard the song "odivadu pol idai irukkum irukkattume" the duet by pbs and ps in Idayathil Nee. Excellent prelude with guitar, violin and bango drums leading to the song and then superb interludes mainly enriched by a spate of violins rising to a crescendo. Only the msv-tkr duo can do so. This number is another example of their versatality. Gemini and Devika are singing the song on the screen. Simply breathtaking music.

umaramesh
20th July 2006, 10:35 AM
Heard the song "odivadu pol idai irukkum irukkattume" the duet by pbs and ps in Idayathil Nee.

KATTRU VANTHAL THALISAYUM NAANAL. different composistion .

If any one of you heard AADI ENNDI AZATU PENNE(PS/LRE).?
splendid usage of violin in this song.

ramesh

tvsankar
20th July 2006, 05:41 PM
Dear Ramesh,

Neenagal sollum padal,

"Adi endi asattu pennae
Un ullathil yaradi kannae
Vannathu .........
Vadivathil ......
vandhalum idamillai pennae "

Indha padal dhanae? School days il ketta padal !! indha padaluku link irukiradha?

Beautiful BGM !!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Billgates
20th July 2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah Mr. Ramesh ! I am surprised . I thought the MSV fans must be relative aged & may not be net savvy !
Much to my delight , I am seeing messages flowing like anything !

Mr. Rajasaranam
You mentioned that you will also give your contribution.
Expecting especially from you :D

rajasaranam
20th July 2006, 10:31 PM
Ms.BillGates Though I have listened to many songs here mentioned the tune is there right near my heart but the orchestration part i missed somehow. Should listen to them again to gain my knowledge... only then Can i share my views ! till then Iam a silent observer here.
Please keep contributing to this thread :)

umaramesh
21st July 2006, 10:23 AM
Dear usha

Yes. I have mentioned about this song only. I think this song is from jaishankar film. I will let you know name of the film.

VANNATHU CHANDHIRANU
VADIVATHIL SUNDHARANANO
YARRAGA IRUNTHALUM IDAM ILLAI PONNE.

Fantastic interludes, especially the violin support. I will look for this song in RAMKI THREAD(under rare songs).

regards
ramesh

umaramesh
21st July 2006, 10:28 AM
Forgot to mention AADALUDAN PADALI KETTU from KUDIIRUNTHA KOVIL .

This song has amazing prelude start with punjabi style.
End of the song we have master piece from MSV but as usual this portion was edited. Hear this part if you happen to watch this movie.

regards
ramesh

umaramesh
21st July 2006, 10:45 AM
Dear usha

Film: KANNIPEN. Lyrics available in http://www.psusheela.org/tam/show_lyrics.php?id=943.

regards
ramesh

Billgates
21st July 2006, 08:13 PM
Ninaithen vandhai 100vayadhu starts with lovely guitar chords .
The interludes are all arabian touch ! :D

The inter ludes of Paartha nyabagam illayo especially the violin & trumphets & the drums are excellent orchestration :D

Someone has already mentioned Enge nimmadhi !

s ramaswamy
22nd July 2006, 08:49 AM
the prelude and interlude of the pbs-sj no in paasam ...maalayum iravum sandikkum varaikkum mayangiya oliyinai pole...are also very good and pleasing to the ears. the trumpet usage in interlude is especially worth noting.

s ramaswamy
22nd July 2006, 08:50 AM
it's not varaikkum but idathil, my apolgies.

tfmlover
24th July 2006, 03:31 AM
i love' pattathu raani paarkum paarvai

podumo intha idam..the begining awesome but not msv right. tkr?

tfmlover
24th July 2006, 04:03 AM
some msv stimulus of mine

yaar antha nilavu..shanthi
muthukulika vaarigalaa -anubavi raaja anubavi
varavu ettanaa- baama vijayam
enge aval -kumari kotam
adaa enna azhagu -nee
pachai kili - ul.s.vaaliban
raajaavin paarvai - anbe vaa
paaduvor paadinaal- kannan en kadhalan
ulagamengum ore mozhi- naadodi
pon magal vanthaal - sorgam
thottu kaatava- thedivantha maapillai

umaramesh
25th July 2006, 05:47 PM
NINAITHATHAI NADATHEEYEY MUDIPAVAN NAAN NAAN

MGR movie . sung by TMS&LRE. please go through dhool.com in jazz section how effectively MSV used jazz in this song. stunning interlude and prelude.

ramesh

tfmlover
26th July 2006, 04:37 AM
yes umaramesh thats a wonderful one too
try listening
silai eduthaan ori chinna pennuku from servr sundharam
especly the ending awesome
'carimbo ' strong beated lambada sort of rhythm
same oruvar meedhu oruvar saainthu ninaithathai mudipavan mgr song..ending too
( and ARR tried the same in 'rasigaa enn rasigaa ..also padaiyedu padaiyappaa )

umaramesh
26th July 2006, 10:14 AM
One more example how MSV adopted jazz style way back 60's.
I am forwarding this article written by Mr.Venkat.
Would like to point out that NEW THINKING /ADOPTION OF DIFFERENT STYLE STARTED HAPPENING LONG BACK. NOT AFTER 80'S. THERE ARE SO MANY LIKE THIS. JUST FOR PROOF.

பெரும்பாலும் அதன் வரிகளுக்காக அறியப்படும் இந்தப் பாடல் தமிழ்த் திரையிசை உலகில் ஜாஸ் பயன்பாட்டில் ஒரு மைல்கல். பெருங்குழு ஜாஸ் (Big Band Jazz)வடிவத்தை முழுமையாக அடியொற்றி அமைந்த பாடல் இது. துவக்கத்திலேயே ஜாஸின் அற்புத சாத்தியங்களை எம்.எஸ்.வி தெளிவாக எட்டியிருப்பார். முன்னீடு முடிந்து சௌந்தர்ராஜன் துவங்குமுன் ஒரு நொடிக்கு ஒரு சிறிய கிடார் ஒலி வந்துவிட்டுப் போகும். கிட்டத்தட்ட நானும் இருக்கிறேன் என்று ஆரம்பத்திலேயே அறிவித்துவிடுவதைப்போல. இதற்காகவே நான் பல தடவைகள் முன்னீட்டை மாத்திரம் பல தடவைகள் கேட்டிருப்பேன். நினைத்ததை... நடத்தியே... முடிப்பவன் - என்று ஒருவகையில் நீட்டி முழக்கிப்பாடுவது பெரும்பாலான செவ்வியல் இசைவடிவங்களில் வராது. அவை ஒற்றைத்தாளகதியில் சீரான ஒட்டத்தில்தான் வரும். ஜாஸில் இந்தக் கட்டுப்படற்ற தன்மை அதன் தனித்துவத்திற்கு முக்கிய காரணம். 'என்னிடம் மயக்கம்" என்று சொன்னவுடன் அதைத் தொடர்ந்துவரும் ட்ரம்பெட்டின் இசை ஸ்விங் வடிவத்தின் அமைப்பு.

கொஞ்சம் நீளமான பாடல் இது. கிட்டத்தட்ட ஏழு நிமிடங்களுக்கு வரும். இதில் டி.எம்.எஸ் குரலுக்குப் பதிலாக ஒரு ட்ரம்பெட்டையும், ஈஸ்வரி குரலுக்குப் பதிலாக ஒரு சாக்ஸஃபோனையும் மாற்றிப்போட்டிருந்தால் எப்படியிருக்கும் என்று பலநாட்கள் நான் கற்பனை செய்துபார்த்திருக்கிறேன். முதல் இடையீட்டில் வரும் கிட்டாரின் இசைவும் அதனுடன் இணைந்துவரும் பெண்களின் சேர்குரலிசையும் அற்புதமாகக் கையாளப்பட்டிருக்கும். இந்தவகை பெண்களின் சேர்குரலிசை ஒருவகையில் எம்.எஸ்.வியின் முத்திரையாக மாறிப்போனது. உலகம் சுற்றும் வாலிபன் (பச்சைக்கிளி), ரிக்ஷாக்காரன் (அழகிய தமிழ் மகள்), போன்ற பல படங்களில் இந்தவகை பெண்களின் சேர்குரலிசையை எம்.எஸ்.வி அற்புதமாகக் கையாண்டிருப்பார். முதலாவது இடையீடு அற்புதமான இசைக்கலவைகளால் ஆனது.

பெரும்பாலான பெருங்குழு ஜாஸ்களில் வரும் வடிவத்தைப்போல பாடல் முழுவதும் சௌந்தர்ராஜன் அல்லது எல்.ஆர். ஈஸ்வரி பாடும் இடங்களில் ஒரே வகையான தாளத்தை (மிகவும் எளிமையானது)க் கையாண்டு முழுக்கவனமும் பாடுபவரின் குரலின்மீது படியும்படி இசை ஒழுங்கமைக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும். இதன் இறுதியில் தாளகதி மாறி, பிற வாத்தியங்கள் சேரும்பொழுது ஒருவித துள்ளலுடன் ட்ரம்ஸ் அந்த மாற்றத்தை வழிநடத்தும். இதுபோன்ற வடிவத்தை பல ஜாஸ் இசைகளில் கேட்கமுடியும். இந்த முறைதான் தனித்தனியாக ஒவ்வொரு வாத்தியக் கலைஞர்களும் தங்களின் விசேடத்திறனைக் காட்டினாலும் இசை ஒருவித சீரற்ற (ஆனால் நியதியான) ஒட்டத்தில் இருக்க உதவுகிறது.

பாடலின் இன்னொரு முக்கியமான இடம் இரண்டாவது இடையீட்டிற்கு முன் வருவது. வழக்கமாக பல்லவி ஒருமுறைதான் நம் திரைப்படங்களில் இடையில் வந்துபோகும். ஆனால் இதில் சற்றும் எதிர்பாராத விதமாக "நினைத்ததை நடத்தியே..." என்று மூன்று முறை மாறிமாறி வந்துவிட்டுப் போகும். இது ஜாஸின் சுயகற்பனை வடிவம்.

முதல் இடையிட்டில் கிட்டார், ட்ரம்பெட், சேர்குரலிசை என்று கலவையாக வரும். ஆனால் இரண்டாவது இடையீட்டில் இதற்குச் சற்றும் மாறாக பெரும்பாலும் ட்ரம்ஸ் மாத்திரமேயாக, பின்னர் தனியாக சேர்குரலிசை என்று வேறு வடிவத்தில் வரும். திரும்பவும் மூன்றாவது இடையீட்டில் பழைய வடிவம் திரும்ப வரும். அந்தக் காலங்களில் பாடல் முழுவதும் ஒரே சீரான ஒட்டத்தில் இருக்க வேண்டும் என்று எதிர்பார்ப்பார்கள். (உதாரணமாக கே.வி.மகாதேவனின் பல பாடல்களில் ஒரே வகையான இடையீட்டு இசைதான் இருக்கும் அதேதான் திரும்பத்திரும்ப வந்து போகும்). இப்படிப்பழக்கப்படிருந்த காதுகளுக்கு இந்தப் பாடல் ஒரு வித்தியாசமான, புரியாத புதிராகத்தான் இருந்திருக்க வேண்டும் என்று தோன்றுகிறது.

எல்.ஆர். ஈஸ்வரி குரலைப்பற்றி இந்தத் தொடரில் நிறையவே சொல்ல வேண்டியிருப்பதால் இங்கே எதுவும் சொல்லப்போவதில்லை. விசேடம் என்ன என்று புரியவேண்டுமென்றால் "முதல் நாள்..." என்று வரும் இரண்டாவது சரணத்தில் அவரது குரலின் சிக்கலான வடிவத்தை உன்னிப்பாகக் கேட்டுப்பாருங்கள்.

மொத்தத்தில் எம்.எஸ்.வி தமிழ்த் திரையிசையின் சில கட்டுப்பாடுகளுக்கு உட்பட்டு ஒரு அற்புதமான பெருங்குழு ஜாஸ் பாடலைத் தந்திருக்கிறார். அந்தக் காலத்தின் தமிழ்த் திரையிசைப் பாடல்களுடன் ஒப்பிட்டுப்பார்க்க இது ஒரு அசுர சாதனைதான். இதில் வரும் கிடார், ட்ரம்ஸ், ட்ரம்பெட் இசைகளைத் தனித்த்னியாக நிறுத்தி நிதானித்துக் கேட்டுப்பார்ப்பவர்களுக்கு எம்.எஸ்.வியின் அற்புதக் கற்பனை பிரமிப்பூட்டும் என்பது நிச்சயம்.

rra
27th July 2006, 12:25 PM
Umaramesh: Kudos to you for bringing to light such articles
on MSV. Much of that is needed to explode the commonly perpetrated myth that real innovation began in TFM only with IR. Recently, I read an article in a well known national daily where the author claimed that IR was the first to employ classical ragas in novel format. For this, he took the example of Kharaharapriya and pointed to the earlier standard usage in "Madhavi Pon Mayilaal" (which he wrongly attributed to KVM!!) and contarsted its innovative usage by IR in "Mappillaikku" conveniently forgetting (or blissfully ignorant of ) the way MSV handled the same raga much earlier in "I will sing for you" (Manidarul Manikkam). A few years back, in another national daily, a noted film historian had written to the effect that IR's music was the first breath of fresh air in TFM after the times of MS, GNB and MKT!! I wrote a long rebuttal which was not published.
What is unfortunate is that IR's music stands tall on its own merit without one having to belittle others' contribution. If anything, his accomplishments achieve greater significance when seen in the light of the great achievements of his predecessors.
RRA

rra
27th July 2006, 12:27 PM
Umaramesh: Kudos to you for bringing to light such articles
on MSV. Much of that is needed to explode the commonly perpetrated myth that real innovation began in TFM only with IR. Recently, I read an article in a well known national daily where the author claimed that IR was the first to employ classical ragas in novel format. For this, he took the example of Kharaharapriya and pointed to the earlier standard usage in "Madhavi Pon Mayilaal" (which he wrongly attributed to KVM!!) and contarsted its innovative usage by IR in "Mappillaikku" conveniently forgetting (or blissfully ignorant of ) the way MSV handled the same raga much earlier in "I will sing for you" (Manidarul Manikkam). A few years back, in another national daily, a noted film historian had written to the effect that IR's music was the first breath of fresh air in TFM after the times of MS, GNB and MKT!! I wrote a long rebuttal which was not published.
IR's music stands tall on its own merit without one having to belittle others' contribution. If anything, his accomplishments achieve greater significance when seen in the light of the great achievements of his predecessors.
RRA

rra
27th July 2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry about the almost repetitive responses. I felt "what is unfortunate" might be misleading. I did not intend to mean that there is anything infortunate about IR's music standing tall but the unfortunate thing is that others' (such as MSv's) contributions being overlooked.
RRA

rra
27th July 2006, 12:59 PM
Sorry about the almost repetitive responses. I felt "what is unfortunate" might be misleading. I did not intend to mean that there is anything infortunate about IR's music standing tall but the unfortunate thing is that others' (such as MSv's) contributions being overlooked.
RRA

umaramesh
27th July 2006, 01:49 PM
Hi rra

Thanks for your reply. When someone says FIRST he should check
history. Whether we highlighting it or not CREATIVITY will be there for ever and it will come out on its own. please add your input .

regards
ramesh

umaramesh
28th July 2006, 04:52 PM
Ninaithu parkeran en nenjam innikindrathu sung by SPB

Amazing prelude and interludes .especially trumphut/flute/guitar/drums/jalatharangam .rare song.

ramesh

saradhaa_sn
2nd August 2006, 05:50 PM
Fine I remember every tune of the song you have mentioned here and have listened to them umpteen times. But the preludes never got registered in my mind [except the Aaaaa.... for Katrukkenna Veli] :huh:
'ராஜாவின் பார்வை' (அன்பேவா)
'ஆடலுடன் பாடலைகேட்டு' (குடியிருந்தகோயில்)
'பூமாலையில் ஓர் மல்லிகை' (ஊட்டிவரைஉறவு)
'கல்யான நாள்பார்க்க சொல்லலாமா' (பறக்கும்பாவை)
'நாளாம் நாளாம் திருநாளாம்' (கா.நேரமில்லை)
'பருவம் எனது பாடல்' (ஆயிரத்தில் ஒருவன்)
'குமரிப்பெண்ணின் உள்ளத்திலே'(எங்கவீட்டுப்பிள்ளை)
'நான் தன்னந்தனிக்காட்டு ராஜா'(எங்கமாமா)
'முத்துக்களோ கண்கள்' (நெஞ்சிருக்கும்வரை)
'நினைத்ததை நடத்தியே முடிப்பவன்'(நம்நாடு)
'இன்பமே உந்தன் பேர் பெண்மையோ' (இதயக்கனி)
'எங்கேயும் எப்போதும்' (நினைத்தாலே இனிக்கும்)
'பாரதிகண்ணம்மா' ( " )
'இனிமை நிறைந்த உலகம் இருக்கு' ( " )
'பச்சைக்கிளி முத்துச்சரம்' (உ.சு.வாலிபன்)
'உல்கம் அழகு கலைகளின்'(உ.சு.வாலிபன்)
'தங்கத்தோணியிலே' ( " )

இதுபோன்ற கணக்கிலடங்கா MSV யின் 'PRELUDE' மற்றும் 'INTERLUDE' இன்றைய குழந்தைகளுக்குக் கூட அத்துப்படி. அப்படியிருக்க இவர் இளையராஜா பாட்டைத்தவிர வேறு எதையும் கேட்க மாட்டேன் என்று காதுகளைப் பொத்திக் கொண்டிருந்தால் யாருக்கு என்ன...??.

S.Balaji
2nd August 2006, 08:58 PM
Fine I remember every tune of the song you have mentioned here and have listened to them umpteen times. But the preludes never got registered in my mind [except the Aaaaa.... for Katrukkenna Veli] :huh:
'ராஜாவின் பார்வை' (அன்பேவா)
'ஆடலுடன் பாடலைகேட்டு' (குடியிருந்தகோயில்)
'பூமாலையில் ஓர் மல்லிகை' (ஊட்டிவரைஉறவு)
'கல்யான நாள்பார்க்க சொல்லலாமா' (பறக்கும்பாவை)
'நாளாம் நாளாம் திருநாளாம்' (கா.நேரமில்லை)
'பருவம் எனது பாடல்' (ஆயிரத்தில் ஒருவன்)
'குமரிப்பெண்ணின் உள்ளத்திலே'(எங்கவீட்டுப்பிள்ளை)
'நான் தன்னந்தனிக்காட்டு ராஜா'(எங்கமாமா)
'முத்துக்களோ கண்கள்' (நெஞ்சிருக்கும்வரை)
'நினைத்ததை நடத்தியே முடிப்பவன்'(நம்நாடு)
'இன்பமே உந்தன் பேர் பெண்மையோ' (இதயக்கனி)
'எங்கேயும் எப்போதும்' (நினைத்தாலே இனிக்கும்)
'பாரதிகண்ணம்மா' ( " )
'இனிமை நிறைந்த உலகம் இருக்கு' ( " )
'பச்சைக்கிளி முத்துச்சரம்' (உ.சு.வாலிபன்)
'உல்கம் அழகு கலைகளின்'(உ.சு.வாலிபன்)
'தங்கத்தோணியிலே' ( " )

இதுபோன்ற கணக்கிலடங்கா MSV யின் 'PRELUDE' மற்றும் 'INTERLUDE' இன்றைய குழந்தைகளுக்குக் கூட அத்துப்படி. அப்படியிருக்க இவர் இளையராஜா பாட்டைத்தவிர வேறு எதையும் கேட்க மாட்டேன் என்று காதுகளைப் பொத்திக் கொண்டிருந்தால் யாருக்கு என்ன...??.

Saro chechiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiii :D :D :D :D :D :D

GRAND COME BACK :D :D :D

Indeed u have picked some OUTSTANDING GEMS OF MELLISAI MANNAR ! All the songs you had listed has some scintillating preludes & interludes
Romba parthu parthu adichirukeenga polirikku :D

Hi all ,

I suggest you listen to ENGE NIMMADHIi. IMO, ITS ON PAR WITH MADAI THIRANDHU of IR .

This song has the follg traits :

1. Total duration - 6 minutes !
2. Length of prelude - 34 seconds !
3. The prelude includes 10 second Piano work WHICH WAS EDITED BY ALL INDIA RADIO DUE TO THE TIME FACTOR
4. This song has anupallavi also
5. The first interludes last for 50 seconds !
6. The second interludes last for 38 seconds

& its a breathtaking song ! amazing even today considering the fact that in the 60s, the technical developments were not that advanced !
Another feature, I believe the duo used more than 100 violins to give that spell binding impact

The chorus interludes & the manner in which The piano, violin, jalataragam , guitar, trumphets were used - ITS A PRECIOUS GEM !

This song will definitely form part of Mellisai Mannar's ALL TIME WONDERS

S.Balaji
2nd August 2006, 09:08 PM
Ninaithu parkeran en nenjam innikindrathu sung by SPB

Amazing prelude and interludes .especially trumphut/flute/guitar/drums/jalatharangam .rare song.

ramesh

Ramesh dear !

Ninaithu parkiren is well known for the trumphet interludes !
& when SPB sings IRAVU NERANGALIL , MSV switches over to Mirudhangam !!

umaramesh
3rd August 2006, 04:01 PM
today I heard song from the film SEER VARAISAI .
KANNANAI NINAIKATHA NAAL ILLAYE
What a grand opening(trumpet). nice duet by spb-PS.

special thing is sudden change in the RHYTHEM when PS sings KANNA , and immediately SPB starts KANNAN THANNEYE. I heard this song quiet number of time but found these improvements now only. Terrific composistion.

ramesh

S.Balaji
3rd August 2006, 04:25 PM
today I heard song from the film SEER VARAISAI .
KANNANAI NINAIKATHA NAAL ILLAYE
What a grand opening(trumpet). nice duet by spb-PS.

special thing is sudden change in the RHYTHEM when PS sings KANNA , and immediately SPB starts KANNAN THANNEYE. I heard this song quiet number of time but found these improvements now only. Terrific composistion.

ramesh

Ramesh !

This song featured Lakshmi-Muthu , later joined by Asokan & others. Lovely preludes ! The song itself is one of the best of PS-SPB !
Just listen to the guitar chords when PS sings the pallavi - Unnumbodhum ...urangumbodhu....ennam muzudhum kanna thane !!
& when she goes in high pitch KANAAAA ....the BGM will move to Dolak & tabla - presence of mind from MSV

Ideally could have been picturised outdoors. Instead was shot totally indoors & the song ends on a comedy note with Asokan/Coconut / Lakshmi/Muthu all doing a round doing bhajans :lol:

Another melodious composition SPOILT

umaramesh
3rd August 2006, 05:21 PM
Ideally could have been picturised outdoors. Instead was shot totally indoors & the song ends on a comedy note with Asokan/Coconut / Lakshmi/Muthu all doing a round doing bhajans

Comedy! O GOD. Better not to see this scene. KUDOS TO MSV.Gave such a memorable for this situation.

. I have not seen picturaisation KADHALIN POON VEETHYIL ,ever green duet from TMS-SJ. Decided not see that.
melodious humming in the prelude and end of the song. Fantastic violin usage through the song.

regards
ramesh

umaramesh
3rd August 2006, 05:33 PM
Ideally could have been picturised outdoors. Instead was shot totally indoors & the song ends on a comedy note with Asokan/Coconut / Lakshmi/Muthu all doing a round doing bhajans

Comedy! O GOD. Better not to see this scene. KUDOS TO MSV.Gave such a memorable for this situation.

. I have not seen picturaisation KADHALIN POON VEETHYIL ,ever green duet from TMS-SJ. Decided not see that. Difficult to visualist how MU.KA.Muthu in this song.
melodious humming in the prelude and end of the song. Fantastic violin usage throught the song. Interesting to note that MSV used MIRUDHANGAM in between very nicely.

VIZHI OORANGALIL SILA NEERANGALIL VARUM BHVANGALUM KAVI AAGAUM
ANTHA KAVITHAIGALIL ULLA PORUL ARINTHU ATHAI SUVAI PATHTHU THAN KALAI AAGUM

What a lyrics by Valli. To add this beauty MSV will add slight insturment part in between lyrics. I think we can open one more thread like RARE SONGS OF MSV SPOLIED BY DIRECTORS :)

regards
ramesh

tfmlover
5th August 2006, 02:46 AM
satti suttathadaa ..
is it msv?...adadaaa

umaramesh
5th August 2006, 10:32 AM
satti suttathadaa ..
is it msv?...adadaaa

composed by MSV for shivai film AALAYAMANI. fine example for pathos composistion (told by Harris jeyaraj). I dont think anyone can sing this song except TMS. ENNA ORU KANIR KUAL AND GAVE REQUIRED IMPACT FOR THAT SCENE WITH HIS MAJESTIC VOICE.

regards
ramesh

tfmlover
6th August 2006, 03:02 AM
some more worth listening :thumbsup:

kanni venumaa - pachai vilaku
tikiriki tikiriki takaraa lre pbs song ( movie ? )
naan pollaadhavan poi sollaadhavan , atho vaaraandi - rajini song
4 pakkam...aaranya kaandamithai thodangu - an.oru kovil
varau 8tanaa - twist n twist baama vijayam
uravinil 50/50 - galatta kalyaanam
ena venum sollu baama -kuzhandaium deivamum ( new - ithu vera pala peraye use panni pazhasai kedukaraanga )

thanks

Jilaba
6th August 2006, 10:32 AM
Dear tfmlover.....

If you list out like this, it will come in thousands. Because all are worth listening and nothing can be avoided.

Nowadays most of the MDs are copying tunes from old films, which the younger generation do not know. They are thinking that these MDs creating them after hard working.

As Saradha madam pointed out in another thread, latest copy is the super hit song

"Vaala meenukkum vilaangu meenukkum kalyaanam"

is the exact xerox copy of the song...

"visiladichaan kumjugalaa..kunjugalaa"
from a old Ravichandran film.

Aanaa TV camera munnaal utkaarndhukittu, 'naangathaan isaiyaiye kandu pidichom' engira paaniyil interview mattum kuduppaanunga..

tfmlover
6th August 2006, 10:51 AM
hi jilaba good day
do not knw
Vaala meenukkum vilaangu meenukkum kalyaanam
but i knw visiladichaan kunjukalaa..its for kamalhasen maanavan movie
video:
http://psgold.tamilinfo.net/visiladichan_kunjugalA.wmv

hope u see here befr too late

umaramesh
7th August 2006, 05:36 PM
SIRIPIL UNDAGAM RAAGATHILAYE . Clear example of how situation should composed and how one can improvies that further. Meticulous composistion. Only GENIUS LIKE can Imagine like this.

ramesh

umaramesh
7th August 2006, 05:37 PM
SIRIPIL UNDAGAM RAAGATHILAYE . Clear example of how situation song should be composed and how one can improvies that further. Meticulous composistion. Only GENIUS like MSV can Imagine like this.

ramesh

tvsankar
11th August 2006, 07:21 PM
Film - Ulagam Sutrum Valiban

Song - Thanga thoniyilae

Beautiful preludes and interludes !! Nice harmony and best modulation !!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

venus05
13th August 2006, 08:59 PM
Apporva ragangal.

1. Ezhu suvarnagalukkul - In theprelude VJ is just memerising. I think VJ got national award for this song.
"ennakka nee azhuthal athu iarkaiyi nadukkum"
"Pathai vagutha pinnae bayanthenna labham" - you can better lines than these.

2. Kelviyin nayagane - Mridhangam in the prelude makes you rewind this song several times. This song runs for ~7 minutes.

3. Athisaya ragam- KJY- Well known Apoorva ragam

IMHO in a scale 10 this album scores 9.5.

Thanks.

rra
14th August 2006, 08:24 AM
venus05: You forgot " Kai Kotti Sirippaargal"
rra

umaramesh
17th August 2006, 11:56 AM
MARGAZHI PANNYIL MAYAGIYA NILAVIL : Excellent song and fine renditon by SPB.
I think this will be well appreciated if composed twenty years later.

ramesh

venus05
19th August 2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks rra. I missed the song. Initially I thought this song was by Nagore Anfa who was very famous for Islamic devotional songs. But it looks like it wsa by somebody else. .5 reduced because of this song. Otherwise it should be 10/10.

I do not know, whether this song was already mentioned.
If it is a repeation please ignore it.
Engayim Eppothum Sangetham Santhosham by SPB in Ninaithalae innikum.

The prelude and all the interludes are just extraordinary.
Mesmerizing Guitar, Drums and Trumpet combination in the prelude. Excellen chorous in the interludes.

No wonder MSV used Magudi style interlude in this song.

One of the songs deserved for 10/10(including picturization).

Recently SPB had mentioned this song in his interview in Vijay TV.

Thanks.

natha1729
19th August 2006, 10:16 AM
I used to think how IR had a innovative stanza opening in Madai Thiranthu song (Nizhalgal) Pa Pa Papapa Papa.... Then I hear Happy Indru Mutha Happy... the first interlude is even today not found a competition. Also, the Da da dadadada da da...etc.. by TMS is the precedent for IR' first interlude ending in Madai thiranthu song... Yes, MSV/TKR were way ahead in the game, and I am learning many many new things about old things pretty late :--)

natha1729
20th August 2006, 07:12 AM
saradhaa, thanks. this info shakes me, u mean to say HMV had the dirty habit of throwing away treasure with their obsession for editing? cheap people.

by the way, Happy song I thought was mroe MGR like! the second interlude also is special.

umaramesh
22nd August 2006, 11:15 AM
After a long time I head NEE NINATHAL INN NERATHILE ETHU NADUKKUM duet from MSV/LRE. MSV tuned it with different style and even singing pattern is something different. Fascinating interludes.

ramesh

Nakeeran
22nd August 2006, 01:54 PM
Anyone mentioned about SUGAMEDHILE IDAYATHILA , PONANA KANNAMA
SUVAIEDHILE MADHURASAMA KANNADI KINAMA ?

MGR movie for sure but the composing style was way ahead of times I think !

TMS-LR.Easwari, Jesudas also !

Nakeeran
22nd August 2006, 01:56 PM

saradhaa_sn
23rd August 2006, 06:43 PM

Nakeeran..

That song from MGR's "Parakkum Paavai"

Stg: MGR & Sarojadevi.

Other songs:

'Kalyaana naal paarkka sollalaama'
'Nilavennum aadai kondaalo'
'Yaaraiththan nambuvatho pedhai nenjam'
'unnaithaane ..aei..unnaithaane'

rra
24th August 2006, 08:15 AM
Nakeeran, saradhaa: another out of the ordinary song from Parakkum paavai is "Mutthamo Mogamo".
rra

tfmlover
25th August 2006, 09:18 AM
That song from MGR's "Parakkum Paavai"

Stg: MGR & Sarojadevi.

Other songs:

'Kalyaana naal paarkka sollalaama'
'Nilavennum aadai kondaalo'
'Yaaraiththan nambuvatho pedhai nenjam'
'unnaithaane ..aei..unnaithaane'[/quote]

muthamo mogamo thapi vantha.. lre tms
pattup paavaadai enge?... tms
from same movie i think

natha1729
3rd September 2006, 06:28 AM
Has anyone written about the the first interlude in Yaarandha nilavu, yen indha kanavu? TMSSivaji song? Also, did this song come earlier than any of the beatles songs? the guitar follow-up is way ahead.

This interlude is one of the top 5 rare and elegant instrumental bits i feel, the type unfortunately heard from no one else except from IR - that too, in his very very later years.

natha1729
3rd September 2006, 06:32 AM
Billgates, i think most HCIRF have got it mostly wrong. MSV & KVM did it all long back, it is an ongoing revelation for me.

rajasaranam, we gotta explore MSV music once again. it is very subtle, not made obvious because he didn't attempt dramatic orchestration.

Mr. Rajasaranam

Mr.BillGates,

umaramesh
13th September 2006, 12:23 PM
song from IRU MALARGAL: VELLI MANI OOSAYILE .
excellent usage of shenoy and supported by violin and piano.
rare combination.

ramesh

mr_karthik
15th September 2006, 05:34 PM
song from IRU MALARGAL: VELLI MANI OOSAYILE .
excellent usage of shenoy and supported by violin and piano.
rare combination.

ramesh
One more super song by Suseela (with high pitch) in 'Iru Malargal'

'annamitta kaigalukku
anbu seytha kangalukku
unnai vittu povatharku
ullamillai magale'