PDA

View Full Version : I need help again to create some decent dinner

Alan
15th July 2006, 03:42 PM
Ladies, I require ur co-operation & patiencxe again to help, answer queries, advice & suggest stuff . Wife & I are planning a Pure Vegetarian dinner for some guests on next Monday. There's us & a couple with a toddler. Both hubby & wife eat really well esp North Indian Stuff (They are from Kerala & love Paneer & stuff). Now there are my elderly parents too who are staying with us but may not eat so much of the fatty stuff esp at night. And the baby is 1.25 yrs old.

Overall 6 adults & i baby(who won't be eating anything any way)

The Menu that I was planning:

Starters:

Juice & Crispy Fried Veggies.

Main Course:

Jeera Pulao
Paneer Butter Masala
Cauliflower fries/Cutlets
Chappatis
Cucumber Raita
Pappad
Pickle

One more curry(optional)

Dessert
Haven't decided

dsath
16th July 2006, 02:17 AM
Menu looks good. Just one suggestion, u have fried veggies for starters and another fried veggie for main course also.
If u want a dry item, then may be you can make the paneer as a dry dish (like grilled paneer or chilli paneer) and cauliflower curry.
Good luck and hope you enjoy the dinner. :)

Alan
16th July 2006, 09:35 AM
Thanku for the response, dsath- I had overlooked that point.

But there's already Paneer Butter Masala & again a dry Paneer dish wouldn't go with it. I could substitute Cauliflower fry with Chilli Gobi or Aloo Gobi ( dry) right?

gnk
16th July 2006, 09:59 AM
for dessert you can have .... a combo. .of gulab jamun and icecream .....

do have a dry subzi as well ..like some bhindi masala

Alan
16th July 2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks gnk- I was thinking of the same too.

Alan
27th July 2006, 08:30 PM
The Food we created:

Starters- Crispy Fried Vegetables(which was a big hit with the guests!)

Jeera Rice
Chappatis
Paneer Butter Masala
Aloo Gobi
Raita(not strictly- onions, tomatoes & cucumbers cut & put in curd)
Pickle
Pepper Pappad.

Dessert:

Gulab Jamun (bought)

The dinner was really great. I think it was Shoba mam who mentioned the basics of a starch, one deep fried item & 1 gravy & I stir fried dish, isn't that so? Thanku mam!!! Thankyou everyone else!

Anoushka
30th July 2006, 09:02 PM
Alan: how did you do your crispy fried veg? :) can you give the recipe please? ....

Alan
31st July 2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah sure, Anoushka.

Cut the vegetables of ur choice length wise- We used Carrots, Capsicums, Onions, Spring Onions, Brinjals & Potatoes. Cleaned & Cut them length wise.

Put them in a big mixing bowl- Tossed it with besan & rice powder (equal amt), a few tablespoons of Soya Sauce, chopped corriander, salt, chillipowder & a pinch of turmeric. Kept them like that for a while. Then deep fried them one by one.

Note: No water is added. the water in the besan paste comes from the vegetables & soyasauce.

Anoushka
31st July 2006, 03:34 PM
thanks Alan, will try this one and let you know... I might stick them in the oven instead of deep frying though :)

gkals
1st August 2006, 12:11 AM
Hi Anoushka

Can u please share the recipe of making cripy fried veg using a oven.Can we use toaster oven to do it?

Thanks in advance
kals

ssanjinika
1st August 2006, 12:20 AM
its the same thing gkals except instead of using oil and frying the veggies,you preheat the oven and stick the veggies in (gotto be in a single layer )and take them out after1/2 hour or so.They come out crispy and no oil is required.Though I woudl recommend using Pam or some other cooking spray to coat the bottom of the dish,so that the veggies dont stick to it after they are done.

Anoushka
3rd August 2006, 03:23 PM
gkals: Sandy is right... you just stick them in the oven instead of deep frying them. I drizzle a bit of olive oil on top instead of the cooking spray... :)

btw, what do you mean by toaster oven? :)

Anoushka
7th August 2006, 02:44 AM
Alan: I tried out the dish and it turned out very nice :)