PDA

View Full Version : Vijayalakshmi Navaneethakrishnan

podalangai
18th July 2006, 05:21 PM
Sometime in the early 90s, a five cassette collection of Tamil folk songs by Vijayalakshmi Navaneethakrishnan was released. I used to be the proud owner of a set until it was filched by a villain masquerading as a friend. Does anyone know if it is still possible to buy this collection somewhere in Chennai? Or anywhere else?

rocketboy
18th July 2006, 09:31 PM
I had one cassette of her songs. All the songs in that cassette were good. I still have mp3 version of thottu kadai orathille. . ellam kedakattum vaanga, ayyana meyyana, naga malai. These songs are forever imprinted in my mind. Vijayalakshmi is still popular . I think you'll be able to get it.

rajraj
18th July 2006, 10:43 PM
podalangai: Try

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/8/s/language.8/

ssanjinika
18th July 2006, 11:12 PM
Didnt she also act in a thamizh movie ?I remember the songs of that movie were amazing!!

Sanguine Sridhar
18th July 2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah SS some.. 'Naatupura...'

rocketboy
18th July 2006, 11:31 PM
She and her husband are both tamizh professors (not sure though) at Madurai Univerity. Her name is preceded by a 'Dr'. I think her doctoral thesis had something to do with Thamizh folk music.

Sanguine Sridhar
18th July 2006, 11:40 PM
Exactly Rocket, she was the one who opened 'Tamil Folk Music' department at Madurai Kamaraj University.Around 30 students per year are graduated in that department

swathy
19th July 2006, 10:14 AM
My aunt was her student :-)

bingleguy
19th July 2006, 11:14 AM
Naatupura Paatu paaduvaangale avanga thaane ! She has a charm in that !

Vaari vittaakka ... nnu oru song avangalodadhu kelvi pattirukken ... can anybody help with the lyrics ?

Anoushka
20th July 2006, 03:11 PM
Vasanth the song you are talking about is thOtu kada Orathile
thOdu oNNanga thOdu reNdaanga
thOdu moonanga vaanga chonnen
jing chak...
atha vaari vaittaaka....

podalangai
20th July 2006, 03:25 PM
Glad to know there are so many fans here! Does anyone have any suggestions on which shops might have her CDs/cassettes? I will only be in Chennai for a day, so I won't have time to search in a lot of shops.