PDA

View Full Version : Is HFM challenging TFM now?

MADDY
18th July 2006, 05:29 PM
IMO after 30 yrs, Hindi film music has finally woken up to challenge the mighty TFM........when IR came in 1976, he took TFM to a different level and a end-of-career RDBurman was no way a challenge to IR in hey days........80's was a very lean patch for HFM and IR was at his peak, so there was no competition........and 90's was the worst where it was like ARR in TFM vs ARR in HFM.......and there was almost 6 versions of Muqabla, where ARR put HFM into humiliation by making Northie ppl. listen to Tamil songs.....

but now, situation is different........if we have a brilliant yuvan chruning out hit songs after another, then there is Himesh giving thrice as much hit songs........if we have a Harris Jeyaraj who can give huge hits then there are S-E-L giving mega chart busters like Kabhi alvida na kehna.......and there is no one in TFM to match Pritam who has given mind blowing numbers in Gangster......if we have a IR as a veteran MD then HFM has a rejunevated ARRahman to look upto.....on paper, HFM looks mighty strong than TFM now, and its after 30 yrs......its a real challenge for TFM which has always been better than HFM for the past 30 yrs........ are their glory days back?

(if ur wondering y i started this topic then listen to Dus,Ashiq banaya aapne,Garam Masala(ada song),Bluffmaster,Zeher,Kalyug,Naam hai tera song, Goal Maal(title track), Kabhi Alvida na kehna, Rang De Basanti and u know wat all these movies have come in space of 8-10 months)

bingleguy
18th July 2006, 05:36 PM
Naturally there is downfall n uplift in every part of Film music ..... There was a season when RDB was ruling and then IR was taking over and ARR was sweeping .....

Does HFM really feel the TFM competitive ..... ?

MADDY
18th July 2006, 05:41 PM
yes bingle, all northies know TFM's strength.....they have seen IR,ARR in the past 20 years, so they know wat kinda quality TFM has....

Ramakrishna
18th July 2006, 06:00 PM
Maddy, I agree with u.At present, it is HFM which is ruling.
A few years ago, even during ARR's absence, Harris and Yuvan were going great with albums like Minnale, kaakkha Kaakkha, Kaadhal Kondein and so on.At that time i thought it was TFM which is the strongest of all and i didn't feel ARR's absence.
But now, It is a completely opposite feeling.I am apprehensive about them.Now, Himesh, S-E-L are doing brilliant job.
So, since IR has almost retired, it has to be ARR which has to bail TFM out.

Hulkster
18th July 2006, 06:41 PM
Well if you guys are saying based on originality...HFM will lose out more..gangster had alot of copied songs...S-E-L have been going good in HFM and Himesh will have to do more to keep up even with vidyasagar who seems to produce better melodies than him.

bingleguy
18th July 2006, 06:45 PM
Ok, in case if u guys say that HFM is ruling or taking over.... then lets take an example of a common man who works in both industry ..... ! ARR !

now the comparison would stand a meaning !

MADDY
19th July 2006, 01:55 AM
Well if you guys are saying based on originality...HFM will lose out more..gangster had alot of copied songs...S-E-L have been going good in HFM and Himesh will have to do more to keep up even with vidyasagar who seems to produce better melodies than him.

hulk, do u think YSR and HJ are original?? orginality is something ppl. dunt mind nowadays (sadly), they just need gud music - copied or remixed........

i dunno y Himesh is so low on ur scale, he is as gud as yuvan in my opinion.......his songs have great rythms.......i guess kamal has more than one reason for choosing Himesh for 10A......isn't it?

Bingle, i didnt get u - how do we compare TFM and HFM with a ARR perspective?

btw ARR has only 4 tamil movies in his hand, in which u dunno how many movies will release........but in hindi he has more than 6 films in hand.......so he is more a HFM guy than a TFM guy i guess.....

Hulkster
19th July 2006, 08:06 AM
Im not denying Himesh talent...it is just that his melodies seem reptitive in most movies...not all...which makes me deduce that. But of the current lot in HFM he is certainly very good. ARR's melodies attract me more though.

YSR and HJ do atleast give some original numbers while pritam has atleast more than two copied numbers in his album. But you are right...when it comes to commercial sales..what sounds good sells so in that case HFM is leading slightly.

bingleguy
19th July 2006, 09:17 AM
Bingle, i didnt get u - how do we compare TFM and HFM with a ARR perspective?

I felt ... it would be more sensible when we take a person who works in both the industry .... for a healthy discussion !

probably he gets more out of HFM coz they are ready to pay ..... wat happens in TFM .... initial upliftment for ARR was TFM right !

MADDY
21st July 2006, 05:28 AM
hey guys did u all listen to "Mitwa" from Kabhi alvida na kehna? very beautiful composition from S-E-L.........lovely tune.....

Jacky
21st July 2006, 01:29 PM
Depends where ARR is inclined, and if he has to revive TFM then he has to get big projects. Sakkarai Katti, Vella katti etc won't help.
Himesh is already sounding repetitive, and I don't think Yuvan or Harris is any better than their bollywood peers in terms of fresh styles.
If SEL and Ismail Durbar get to work with good directors then HFM will certainly edge out TFM in a big way, and if Rahman can come up brilliant albums which he usually does in HFM.

Scale
20th September 2006, 10:52 PM
Did anyone care to check itwofs - top 7 recent lists (http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2006/09/06/top-7-recent-listens-2/)?

Just one tamil song... I am yet to come out of So jaoon mein & Terebin.

Thanks Karthik.. Keep updating. :thumbsup: :notworthy:

Music4Ever
21st September 2006, 12:09 AM
Harris and Yuvan are excellent MD's but they somehow have not created the kind of impact that ARR did in the whole of India in the nineties and IR did in South India in the seventies and eighties. Now that ARR appears to be fading (It's been a while since he gave a complete album like Boys or Alai Payudhe, although KKS was a very good one.), and Hindi music is gaining ascendancy with the likes of Pritam, Vishal-Shekar, and Himesh churning out hit after hit which also brings the Rahman sound, it is difficult to imagine that TFM can beat HFM now. In fact IIRC, a while back, someone (with nick observer or onlooker or outsider?) was raving about Pritam and Vishal-Shekar. So this trend must have started at least a year back. The Hindi folks have caught up with employing modern sounds in their music, including Rahmanian idiosyncratic voices and yodellings peppered in their music. In addition there is a wider pool of talent to choose from as far as Hindi music is concerned. So HFM is leading now.

baba88
21st September 2006, 12:36 AM
A.R.Rahman is the best MD in HFM and TFM. And as you know A.R.Rahman is a Tamilan so without a South Indian they could not have reached this level.

MADDY
29th September 2006, 06:11 AM
PlanetM,Brigade Road,BLR was playing Kya mujhe pyaar hai (woh Lamhe) and then they played Loosu Penne song.....trust me guys, kya mujhe pyaar hai was sounding out of world and though loosu penne was also cool but could not match the pritam's song in its feel and effect....... :oops:

m_23_bayarea
30th September 2006, 02:40 AM
2005 - Tamil rocked !!!

2006 - Hindi is rocking (so far atleast) !!

kiru
30th September 2006, 05:37 AM
You guys do come up with a provocative thread titles :-)
I listen to a few hindi tracks last evening> Based on that I dont ARR has anything to worry about being the numero uno in Hindi. Always there were people in Bombay music world who were very westernised. But Rahman brings a different twist to the game. He knows the nuances/subtleties of an Indian melody along with his knowledge of contemporary western pop music. This is what made him successful and even disorient a legend like IR for a while in TFM. I dont think other MDs right now in HFM have this combination of skill. Vishal seems to have done a remix of vaseegara. Ismail Darbar, for whom I have great respect, seems to be carnatic inspired and/or even by specific works of IR. SEL ofcourse, have openly declared their recognition of ARR as their mentor.
In TFM, we have HJ who is good in tuning certain melodies with a modern arrangement but kinds of repetitive (a sophisticated SAR ?) and YSR who is original, productive but not necessarily at the level of Rahman in terms of tunes. Vijay Antony is another new comer with promising talent. I dont know why Ramesh Vinayagam who showed lot of class is not getting that much work.
Maybe I am not familiar with Hindi film music as much as some of you, but my random sampling tells there is not much talent there in the likes of Rahman.

thamizhvaanan
30th September 2006, 08:47 AM
SEL and Ismail Darbar are the only MD's in HFM apart from ARR. The rest are even worser than HJ and they dont even deserve the title MD.

In TFM, we still have All India legends like IR and ARR in their productive stage, MSV who seems to be retired, talented but misdirected MDs like Vidyasagar and Yuvan. If one goes for cheesy songs, we have the likes HJ and Vijay antony, who can cover their music or the lack of it, by seemingly hi-fi techno stuff (they are darn easy actually). And then we have daban goothu stars in Deva, his son and Dhina. So, TFM is still rich with a good mix of talent and commercial stuff.

But dont use audio sales as a parameter for comparison. Even when HFM market is just slightly better, it can outnumber TFM even at its best stage, in terms of sales. Their market is just too huge!!!

vijayr
30th September 2006, 10:53 AM
Rahman obviously is still the single biggest thing in HFM. But I think the challengers to the throne,atleast some of them, have an unique individual style about them which is lacking amongst the second-tier MDs in TFM. But unfortunately these are the guys who dont get to compose much in HFM - Vishal Bharadwaj, HH Kreem. Whenever they do,they strike gold. I like them better than S-E-L. And certainly better than pretenders from down south like YSR,HJ and others who often work with left-over ideas of Rahman. And once in a while, an Ismail or a Pritam might impress too as a bonus.

Problem with tFM is,if you leave ARR out,nothing much to look forward to in terms of freshness/variety from amongst the others.Competition is inferior in the South.

Hulkster
1st October 2006, 10:19 AM
Vishal Bharadwaj is good but he is actually quite similar to TR, an all rounder except more polished. He is not a musician more of the jack of all trades type.HH Kreem is not a hindi MD, he is also know in telugu as M Keeravani as well, not sure whether he is a telugu MD.

natha1729
1st October 2006, 11:15 AM
R.D.Burman is special. After SJ, only RDB carried that flag of melodious and catchy to greater heights. Two of his many, many amazingly cathcy songs I don't think anyone else has surpassed the immediate appeal and endurance:

Aise Na Mujhe Dekho - Darling, Darling
Jahan Teri Yeh Nazar Hai - Kaalia

HFM, TFM or MFM cannot challenge each other, and let me tell you only HFM has had national appeal, so this thread really needs to read " is HFM back to glorious days to make up for TFM and others in India"

Surya
4th October 2006, 03:00 AM
When it comes to movies/music, I'm a bigger fan of Bollywood than Tamil.

Black was Phenomenal!! But that is an exceptional case even for bollywood.

I really enjoyed Fanaa, Krrish, RDB, Kank.

I'm getting sick and tired of the formula in tamil movies which is taking shape. 1 Intro Song, 1 Slow song, 2 Kuthu Songs and 1 Sad Song. (Even there most of the tunes don't seem like they're worth listening to) Infact it isn't taking shape, it's already in full shape.

I'm glad that Yuvan Shankar Raja and ARR are kind of changing this pattern slowly now-a-days.

I mean, even though Vallavan and SOK followed this formula, the songs were nice to listen to.

Where as the other movies like Thimiru, Aathi, Aaru, Thirupathi, etc are just depressing.

Bollywood movies also have Fast Danceing type songs, but in my opnion they're composed in a better way than Tamil Dance Numbers are.

Rock And Roll Soniye - KANK
Dil Na Diya - KRRISH
RDB - RDB
Where's The Party Tonight - KANK

are just a few numbers as opposed to dance numbers in tamil like Appan Panna Thappule, Soda Bottle Kaiyule, Yammadi Aathadi, etc.

I did enjoy Neruppe Sikki Mukki Nerupe (Not a big fan of the lyrics or the way it was picturised but the audio was good) from VV and Kummi Adi and Machakaari from SOK.

Northie Albums also tend to have A LOT of slow Melody Numbers as opposed to Tamil Albums.

Pyarr Ki Ek Kahani/Chori Chori Chupke Chupke/Mien Hoon Asma (Or something :P ) - KRRISH

Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna/Mitwaaa/Tumhi Dekho Naa - KANK

Chand Safarish/Mere Haath Hai/Dekho Naa - Fanaa

(The Reason I use these three movies again, is because they're the latest ones that I've heard.)

So Basically I think taht Hindi Albums are better, because their Dance Numbers are better in Quality, and they also have a lot more melodies which are pleasant to the ears.

I like YSR and ARR changing the sterotype every now and then, but I think that Tamil dance numbers do need to be improved, we need to get out that fixed formula of 1 Intro, 2 Kuthu, 1 Romance, and 1 Sad Song BS. And also, limiting dance numbers in an album to 2 max, and ridding "En Thozha, En Thalaiva, Yen Rasiga etc etc" type Intro songs. And Including A LOT MORE melodies in our albums would have us meeting eye to eye with BOllywood again!! :thumbsup:

imsai
4th October 2006, 11:18 AM
hulk, do u think YSR and HJ are original?? orginality is something ppl. dunt mind nowadays (sadly), they just need gud music - copied or remixed........

Exactly. They are kids at what they do but ARR is a master. I was talking about copying only. :(

Hulkster
4th October 2006, 12:48 PM
Surya maybe the style of our albums is shaped liked that but we have better musical input as in knowledge of instruments,harmony and music techniques in TFM. IR,ARR,YSR,KR,Bharadwaj,Vidyasagar and now Vijay Anthony have shaped tfm music much more musically inclined than hfm. While hfm is either dominated by techno,bhangra beats or the usual hindustani melody accompanied with carnatic violin and thavil, tfm gives different sort of melodies each with their own style althought there are alot of koothu nos.

Whether bollywood can make a melody better than eera vizhi kaaviyangal,anandha raagam or idhu kadhal enbadha and vennilavae vennilavae remains to be seen. The WCM techniques and orchestration used in these songs easily truffles the standards used in HFM songs.

When it comes to music, the formula of how it is used does not matter(i.e1 melody 2 koothu song or 4 melody 1 koothu song), rather the nuances of orchestration and the techniques used in it is what matters. And in that case TFM is way above HFM.

Listen to Vijay anthony's by2 and compare it to the melodies churned out by himesh reshammiya and see how Vijay anthony keeps it melodious without repeating the same instrumentation and flow. :D

Scale
4th October 2006, 01:09 PM

imsai: innum thirundhave illaya nee...

Surya, HFM also has got the same recurring bangra, deewana duets, party stuffs etc... The variety you find at instance are mere rip-offs from international or old albums. What challenges really is the list of quality singers produced in HFM!

MADDY
7th January 2007, 11:47 PM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindi_bollywood/s/movie_name.8939/

listen to "Subah Subah" song in this page...... :shock: :shock: ........wat r HJ and YSR doing?? :oops: :oops: .....