PDA

View Full Version : Banana Bread?

Alan
5th August 2006, 01:16 PM
Can someone give me the rcipe of Banana Bread? It looks like a brown tea cake after its baked? What variety of banana do you use for the same? Is it Robesta?

SK27
6th August 2006, 06:46 PM
http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=14519

Sk

RedPepper
7th August 2006, 05:17 AM
Can someone give me the rcipe of Banana Bread? It looks like a brown tea cake after its baked? What variety of banana do you use for the same? Is it Robesta?

Alan, I make banana bread often. I use this recipe (http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=108) from cookingforengineers.com. I use the yellow banana (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/images/61.jpg) that is very common in the US. You should be able to substitute with the robesta banana or the small types of banana available in India. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out. Also, the bananas should be very ripe for this recipe. Sometimes I even make it in cupcake tins. Banana bread is great for breakfast with a cup of hot milk or tea. It will stay good in the refrigerator for a few days.

Alan
7th August 2006, 08:49 AM
Thanku SK.

Thanks a lot for the valuable tips, Red Pepper!

dsath
7th August 2006, 03:16 PM
Red Pepper, your blog is great. Nice pictures too. :thumbsup:

rain
10th August 2006, 11:18 PM
hi RedPepper,

very nice presentation in ur workshop! had a question on the pizza dough.. i have tried mixing whole wheat with hand and somehow the dough gets really tough to move around (tho it kneads and rises well). i have heard mixing is very crucial and the end result actually reflects it.
so as food processer do u mean the big bowl stand mixer or are u suggesting food processor attachments? let me know.

thanks for reposting the banana bread site. i have saved it.hope to try it this time at least:-)

regards,
rain

rain
14th August 2006, 10:02 PM
still looking forward to a response :) for a good mixing method for bread !

southiecook
16th August 2006, 10:40 PM
I do not have a food processor. What I do for kneeding the pizza dough is to use the normal mixie jar (mine is Premier brand, which is very similar to Sumeet)
I use the biggest jar, with the multipurpose blade.
Put the flour,olive oil (makes it less sticky and more delicious) ,hot water with dissolved yeast and sugar, salt and everything into the mixie and just make it work for few seconds, by making it off and on frequently in between. After this, your kneeding with hands will be very easy as it is almost mixed up well already. Now you can coat the dough with a little olive oil and keep covered until it rises.

This method works fine for me.

rain
17th August 2006, 09:24 PM
thanks southiecook, for ur detailed post :) earlier i was mixing with hand(i too use olive oil) that takes a while to get the right way,and subsequently affects the kneading too .this sounds much easier and will surely try it next time i am working with dough.

RedPepper
18th August 2006, 09:50 PM
still looking forward to a response :) for a good mixing method for bread !

rain, I am so sorry for the delay. When I saw your question the first time, I was in a hurry so I couldn't answer. Later, I forgot where I saw this query even though I wanted to reply to it. I was looking everywhere at the comments section in my blog thinking that someone had asked this there. Sorry about that.
I use food processor, not stand mixer, just because I am lazy to knead the dough by hand. The food processor will do the initial kneading, and then we have to form the dough to a ball with our hands. No mess! Also, you cannot continuously run the food processor with the dough in. Just pulse it in 10 sec intervals. You will get the assembled dough in a couple of minutes. Start with all ingredients except water, then add water little by little through the opening on the food processor lid. I make chapathi dough in the food processor too. The ratio of 1:3(1 cup water for 3 cups of flour) works for me. If you need to know more, please let me know.

rain
22nd August 2006, 02:14 AM
hi redpepper,

thanks for taking time out to answer my query ! i have seen all those cooks on t v using the stand mixer for their baking and thought it must be the integral part of baking.esp. since the dough had become so unwieldy in mixing,when i tried. :x i am much tempted to try once more now. am glad i can count on so many baking foodies like you. :D

i tried the banana bread recipe from the site over the weekend and it came off very nice indeed.i forgot the walnuts but still it was :thumbsup: thanks again for suggesting it !

regards,
rain

SK27
22nd August 2006, 07:09 PM
Hi Redpepper,

tried ur Pizza101 yesterday & it turned out superb :D ..thanx for the recipe..incase if u hve some eggless cake recipes can u plz post it here?..

thanx
regards,
sk

Kavitha Ravi
23rd August 2006, 12:13 PM
Try this eggless cake.

EGGLESS SUGEE CAKE ( SEMOLINA)

450 grms sugee
250 grms butter
200 grms chopped mixed fruits
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
525 grms ( 1 can) condensed milk
water ( fill the empty condensed milk tin)

METHOD:

Place the butter, condensed milk and water in a pot.
Stir and bring to the boil.
Remove from the heat and stir the chopped fruit.
Allow to cool to lukewarm.
Stir in sugee and let it soak in the mixture for 15-20 minutes
To plump up the grains.
Stir in the baking powder and the essence.
Turn mixture in a prepared pan and bake in preheated oven
At 175oC for 45 minutes, or till cake is done.

RedPepper
23rd August 2006, 09:29 PM
hi redpepper,

thanks for taking time out to answer my query ! i have seen all those cooks on t v using the stand mixer for their baking and thought it must be the integral part of baking.esp. since the dough had become so unwieldy in mixing,when i tried. :x i am much tempted to try once more now. am glad i can count on so many baking foodies like you. :D

i tried the banana bread recipe from the site over the weekend and it came off very nice indeed.i forgot the walnuts but still it was :thumbsup: thanks again for suggesting it !

regards,
rain

It would be better if we have the stand mixer. It is in my wishlist too.:) Food processor and electric hand mixer have been helpful so far.
Glad to see that you liked the banana bread. I wouldn't have liked it without the nuts. I like the crunch in it.

RedPepper
23rd August 2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Redpepper,

tried ur Pizza101 yesterday & it turned out superb :D ..thanx for the recipe..incase if u hve some eggless cake recipes can u plz post it here?..

thanx
regards,
sk

sk, thank you for the feedback on pizza. Egg is an essential ingredient in baking, but if you can't use it....try this site (http://www.eggless.com/). There are more on the web.
Egg substitutes are available at the grocery stores. I have never used them. Don't know what they are made of.
Or you can substitute egg with other ingredients too. Please click here (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=egg+substitute) to find out more.
Hope this helps.