PDA

View Full Version : IR New Albums - Ver 2006

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

njv
27th February 2007, 09:31 AM
In Coffee with anu

Anu: If you have to attribute your success to one person who that would be?

Malaysia: Ilayaraja

Anu: Who is your favorite music director?

Srilekha Parthasarathi: I didnt sing for him yet. Ilayaraja.

raja_fan
27th February 2007, 10:28 AM
Watched MK trailer in Vijay TV. It is not a trailer..just a slide show of Cheran and Navya !
The accompanying BGM was a nice WCM Violin piece sounding like the classical pieces that come in old English movies ( sometimes in Charlie Chaplin silent movies ).

It ended with "Viraivil.."

irir123
2nd March 2007, 09:25 PM
Hip Hip Hooray! "Mumbai Xpress" reviewed by a popular progressive music website "Sea of Tranquility"!

here is the link: http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4824

enjoy! way to go IR!

Hulkster
3rd March 2007, 07:45 AM
I remember the bad reviews Mumbai Express received from some of our own fans claiming it to be IR turning into the dark side("westernised") when it was IR's favourite western forte of jazz. When we ourselves could not appreciate one of the best albums he has given us in decades how do we expect him to give us good and original songs nowadays. :x

MumbaiRamki
4th March 2007, 05:41 PM
Can you post the contents of
http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=3351

Thanks !

venkiks
4th March 2007, 08:18 PM
Ilayaraja: Ilayarajas Music Journey

Why ReR sent us this CD to review is a mystery. It isn't progressive, rock, metal or fusion - the genres we focus on here at Sea Of Tranquility. It is pure Indian music, characterized by sitar and percussion and those lilting, challenging melodies. Still - good music is abundant in every genre, and for those of us Westerners unfamiliar with the style, this one is actually refreshing and interesting. And it revives teenage memories of a bunch of us, bored in boarding school, sitting in a circle around a batch of burning jos sticks and zoning out to Ravi Shankar - quite convinced we were the coolest thing since the Beatles.

Calling himself 'Maestro Ilaiyaraaja', Ilaiyaraaja Raaja is something of a legend in his native India having composed more than 5,000 songs and scored over 800 Bollywood movies in various Indian languages. that may sound conceited, but let's face it - he is number 48 in the world's top-selling artists (behind celebrities like Elvis, The, Beatles and Led Zeppelin.)

Ilaiyaraaja's Music Journey was recorded live at the "14th annual Angelica, Festival Internatzionale di Musica & l'Altro Suono" in Modena, Italy, in 2004. It's a sort of 'unplugged with a live orchestra' performance, and it's interesting to hear the artist's lighthearted interaction with the audience in English while an interpreter translates into Italian.

The title track starts off with a sort of lullaby, then we're taken on a fascinating 10-minute walk through cultural Indian songs and traditions - with verbal descriptions and brief excerpts of the songs that convey the message musically. On many tracks Ilaiyaraaja is backed up by very pretty high-pitched female vocals - sung in the same Indian style, of course - and "Ilankathu" is a duet that sounds like a love song with 2 people singing to each other - and is a standout track (at least - from this ignorant Westerner's point of view). "Three In One" is a fun piece, introduced as a composition with just 3 notes. He actually cheats and uses a half-note here and there, and he goes up an octave as well - which robs the original idea of a song in three notes. Still, it's an interesting idea showing that that melody has as much to do with rhythm and cadence as with a selection of notes. The song selection cover various sub-genres including carnatic, hindustani, devotional, and others that will challenge your spell-checker.

Besides being proficient in a variety of Indian instruments Ilayaraja is well trained in classical guitar, and judging by the performance on this record, he has a good grasp of how to sway a western audience. So considering the genre, there's a surprising variety of sounds from track to track.

This record is different, fun, and as the title suggests, a real musical journey.

Track Listing:
1. Aaya Kalaigal
2. Paavana Guru
3. Sunoi Oh!
4. Mayil Pola
5. Janani
6. Music Journey (Lullaby and Games of Tamil Nadu)
7. Elankaathu
8. Three in one (introuduction)
9. Three in one
10. Aasaiya Kathula
11. Veettukku
12. Orchestra (mood Kapi)
13. Mathacha

Added: March 14th 2006
Reviewer: Duncan Glenday
Score: 3.5
Related Link: http://www.raaja.com
Hits: 914
Language: english

MumbaiRamki
5th March 2007, 01:31 PM
what abt mumbai Xpress?
http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4824

raja_fan
5th March 2007, 03:19 PM
Mumbai Ramki,

Is that URL blocked for you ?

btw..shall we all come to an agreement to keep this thread for only IR's new and upcoming albums ?

Because people see some new posting come to this page and get disappointed that it is about something else !

Andha alavukku IR's new album-kaaga Yengi Yengi Kaanju poyirukkom :(

soukavi
5th March 2007, 04:17 PM
[tscii:560808c89e]New initiative: En Paiyar Enna

Directior Arpudan had made an attempt to highlight about the social soreness in his short film named as “En Paiyar Enna”, in this film Master Kishore is featuring in lead role. Director Arpudan, is known from earlier films like Mandodu Malzli kalam & Arpudam. But this film has some thing special from his previous films.

In a simple function of the this film’s CD release held at South Indian film chamber, in the presence of Rajathi Amma ( Dr.Karunanidhi’s Wife ) released the film C.D and it was received by Dashto Indra rani wife of Malaysian minister. After seeing the film Indra outlined the performance of Master Kishore kumar’s acting and she assured Kishore in lending assistance regarding making of the film. At the same time he pointed out Govt to undertake the welfare of orphans in larger scale to completely annihilate this kind of menace from the society.

The outline of the story is simple enough to understand by common people, an orphan child how is striving to get into studies and how far he succeed in this race is crux of the story. Master Kishore succeeds in doing the character which assigned to him, after seeing the film Director Bala, was convinced to give a role to Kishore kumar in his forthcoming film “Naan kadavul”. Apart from that many old hands appreciated both director and master Kishore kumar for their valid contribution to the society. Interesting news about this film his there is no Dialogue, Music scored by Illayaraja was played a pivot play in filling the Dialogue column.

[/tscii:560808c89e]

MumbaiRamki
5th March 2007, 05:25 PM
Yes - It is blocked .Ur point is too valid .So what do we do ?

Can you post it in some other thread ?
Thanks !

rajasaranam
5th March 2007, 05:54 PM
Ramki,

Athukuthaana IR news and titbits thread open panni vachom :) Anga vaanga I've pasted the review

Sanjeevi
6th March 2007, 10:09 AM
Saw the trailer / advt of Mayakannadi in a TV. The BGM in the trailer tell that we can expect a good musical treat from IR :)

vasanth2006
6th March 2007, 10:50 AM
R.K. Selvamani's "Kutrapathrikkai" is slotted for the Mar 23 release.
is this film having songs or only BGM??

Sanjeevi
6th March 2007, 11:36 AM
R.K. Selvamani's "Kutrapathrikkai" is slotted for the Mar 23 release.
is this film having songs or only BGM??

I remember one song, "Mayavaram poi varalama"

Am I correc?

raja_fan
6th March 2007, 12:37 PM
"Kutrapathrikkai" by IR ?
A movie taken long ago. Can it stand present trends..?

Hulkster
6th March 2007, 12:41 PM
This is scarey...after hearing albums one after another from IR...they are now coming one year after another...ithu thaan nammodeiya nilameiya? :cry2:

raja_fan
6th March 2007, 02:00 PM
Hulkster !,

Don't worry ! That is the sign of "Super Star" status :)

irir123
7th March 2007, 05:53 AM
when is MAYAKANNADI audio releasing ???

k_vanan
7th March 2007, 08:23 AM
mayakannadi audio realeasing on 9th march

Hulkster
7th March 2007, 09:35 AM
Seringa Raja_Fan :D...great news k_vanan..now that would be a interesting treat since Raja has chosen the situations he must compose :cool:

raja_fan
7th March 2007, 10:34 AM
Hooo ! Great News ! Just 2 more days to go !

Where did you get this news ?

k_vanan
7th March 2007, 11:33 AM
[tscii:c5b5373e54]Maya Kannadi audio from 9th March
March 6, 2007

Cheran’s movies are known for its realism and strong social message. This also includes his forthcoming venture Maya Kannadi.

The movie features Cheran and Navya Nair in lead roles and Illayaraja as the music director. With Cheran wielding the megaphone, the audio of the film will be released on 9th March, 2007.

Directors Bharathiraja and Balachandar will release the audio cassettes and the first audio CD will be received by director K.S.Ravi Kumar and actor Sarath Kumar.

[/tscii:c5b5373e54]

Shankar
7th March 2007, 12:29 PM
[tscii:f669537826]Maya Kannadi audio from 9th March
March 6, 2007

Cheran’s movies are known for its realism and strong social message. This also includes his forthcoming venture Maya Kannadi.

The movie features Cheran and Navya Nair in lead roles and Illayaraja as the music director. With Cheran wielding the megaphone, the audio of the film will be released on 9th March, 2007.

Directors Bharathiraja and Balachandar will release the audio cassettes and the first audio CD will be received by director K.S.Ravi Kumar and actor Sarath Kumar.

[/tscii:f669537826]

What an irony....Except BR, everyone involved in the audio release are sworn Raja haters !! KSR is the yuckiest creature on earth, and even for a formality I wudn't want this guy to release a Raja album.

raja_fan
7th March 2007, 01:07 PM
What to do ?

KSR is the Guru of Cheran.

Then what about Cheran too ? He will go to Bharadwaj / Sabesh-Murali for his next movie. He is with IR just because this is a PA production..That is why I really don't want to expect much from this alliance..

If Cheran is really a guy who has strong musical sense.., he should have come to IR for Autograph..

k_vanan
7th March 2007, 01:14 PM
KSR mari yarum kummi adika mudiyathu. cinema directorliya king of jalra is KSR

rajasaranam
7th March 2007, 10:09 PM
What an irony....Except BR, everyone involved in the audio release are sworn Raja haters !! KSR is the yuckiest creature on earth, and even for a formality I wudn't want this guy to release a Raja album.

Balachander is not a Raaja Hater I believe. They just got split and still Balachander holds high esteem for Raaja and used Raaja's tunes for his teleserials like 'Sahana' etc., . he was the one to release virumaandi's Audio AFAIK.

irir123
7th March 2007, 10:49 PM
KSR's biggest joke/jalra is about "Dasavatharam" - "after watching this movie, it wouldnt be a surprise if the Oscar committee comes knocking the doors of Kamal sir" - man, that was some rib-tickler for sure

rajdes
8th March 2007, 10:21 AM
Cheran doesnt have a strong musical sense. And Autograph did not really deserve IR. Over hyped movie - just the absence of fights, vulgarity, masala doesnt necessarily mean a good movie.

As for KSR, and Kamal jalra, Oscar committee never knocks any one's door - and Kamal will not get a Oscar for acting in tamil movies - ever - because, AFAIK, there is no category for Best actor in a foreign film in Academy awards. Unless he acts in a hollywood film. Which I dont rule out, BTW. Oscar committee members-ai thannoda padam paarka vekkaradhukke kodi kodiya selavu pannanum. Aamir Khan selavu panninaaru aanalum alva dhaan micham.And it is not the ultimate stamp of approval.
KSR is a rubber stamp Kamal needed for Dasavatharam. Like a Indian service company Project Manager with only execution powers and no say on the design, or even schedule. Indha date-kulla idhai mudi-na eppadiyavadhu naalu peru uyirai vaangiyavadhu velai vaangi project-ai mudikkanum. Andha PM dhaan KSR.

raja_fan
8th March 2007, 10:40 AM
Rajdes,

I am not able to agree on your assessment that Autograph is a over hyped movie. It was a very neatly made film on practical love life. It was never hyped. It was silently released and won the accolades..

rajdes
8th March 2007, 11:19 AM
I was not talking about pre-release hype. Its the post-success hype about it being a "Different", "great" movie thats nauseating. (ie) "No fights/no vulgarity/no item songs = great movie" equation which is fundamentally flawed. Virumandi and Paruthi Veeran, for instance, are far better movies even though they may be perceived as too violent, too coarse and even, in some places, perceived as needlessly explicit.
Cheran has a moral science teacher outlook, and his screenplays bend over backwards to hammer the picked moral(adhanala kuzhandhaigale, indha kadhailerundhu namma enna therinjikkiromna,enge thiruppi sollunga paarkalam a) velinattu mogathula nam nattai amrakka koddadhu b)gramathu vaazhkai is superior to nagarathu vaazhkai c) petra manam pithu d) jaadhigal illaiyadi paappa etc). Autograph was probably an exception to his own moral-spouting movies. IMO, this sort of message-driven cinema is no different from the "kaadhalna kuduthu vangaradhu illai, vaangi kudukkradhu" type of morals Murali used to spout in the "kaadhal" formula movies post -kaadhal kottai.

raja_fan
8th March 2007, 12:42 PM
Ok, I want to stop this discussion in this thread atleast, as I want this thread to be only for IR's new albums.

btw..guys, the count down begins for tomorrows MK's audio release !

So let us start discussing about that. Any imaginations on how the song situations will be in MK ? :)

thinkfloyd
8th March 2007, 01:26 PM
Cheran doesnt have a strong musical sense. And Autograph did not really deserve IR. Over hyped movie - just the absence of fights, vulgarity, masala doesnt necessarily mean a good movie.

As for KSR, and Kamal jalra, Oscar committee never knocks any one's door - and Kamal will not get a Oscar for acting in tamil movies - ever - because, AFAIK, there is no category for Best actor in a foreign film in Academy awards. Unless he acts in a hollywood film. Which I dont rule out, BTW. Oscar committee members-ai thannoda padam paarka vekkaradhukke kodi kodiya selavu pannanum. Aamir Khan selavu panninaaru aanalum alva dhaan micham.And it is not the ultimate stamp of approval.
KSR is a rubber stamp Kamal needed for Dasavatharam. Like a Indian service company Project Manager with only execution powers and no say on the design, or even schedule. Indha date-kulla idhai mudi-na eppadiyavadhu naalu peru uyirai vaangiyavadhu velai vaangi project-ai mudikkanum. Andha PM dhaan KSR.

I was not talking about pre-release hype. Its the post-success hype about it being a "Different", "great" movie thats nauseating. (ie) "No fights/no vulgarity/no item songs = great movie" equation which is fundamentally flawed. Virumandi and Paruthi Veeran, for instance, are far better movies even though they may be perceived as too violent, too coarse and even, in some places, perceived as needlessly explicit.
Cheran has a moral science teacher outlook, and his screenplays bend over backwards to hammer the picked moral. IMO, this sort of message-driven cinema is no different from the "kaadhalna kuduthu vangaradhu illai, vaangi kudukkradhu" type of morals Murali used to spout in the "kaadhal" formula movies post -kaadhal kottai.

Rajdes,
Awesome post. Exactly my thoughts... :notworthy:

MumbaiRamki
8th March 2007, 01:57 PM
Rajdes,

It depends on the sensibilities of a person .Cheran's movies might have a direct Impact on the life of an induvidual(but may preachy) whereas a Virumandi or Paruthi may not do that ..You can show a thought (like you have to take care of ur parents) in different ways .Cheran's way is like a Drama aired in AIR .We may not like his way ,but his films do have a positive effect on selected group of people.

When u say 'Virumandi and Paruthi Veeran, for instance, are far better movies' ,there you judge the film as per your sensibilities of a movie ,which is fine .

Digression:
"Like a Indian service company Project Manager with only execution powers and no say on the design, or even schedule."

Every Service company in the world is like that - You should be software engg i guess ,so u know how the managers on the client side have deadlines from their customers:)

itsmuls
8th March 2007, 02:57 PM
I dont know whether you people agree or not, IR and Cheran have good respect to each other.

Infact IR only recommended Mallika for Cheran's movie - Autograph.

And their first combo - Thesiya Geetham, which had wonderful music from our Maestro, unfortunately failed at BO. But the song "En Kanavinai Kelamma" which shows some of the dreams of the Hero have come reality today.... especially dreaming that Villagers who work in the Fields should own Mobile phone. Now, in villages too, the people working in fields own Cell phone.

FYI
Mayakannadi - audio release and the 3D effect

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/mar-07-01/08-03-07-mayakannadi.html

raja_fan
8th March 2007, 03:30 PM
"Infact IR only recommended Mallika for Cheran's movie - Autograph."

One magazine had reported like this..but that girl told a different story later in another interview.

So this news is baseless I think. Why should IR recommend this actress to a director who usually does not work with him and also for a movie to which he is not the MD ??

With regards to respect, every one ( except few kaakkaas like KSR, Vivek etc ) respects IR. But who is ready to work with him ? That makes the difference.

kalnayak
8th March 2007, 04:05 PM
Rajdesh & ThinkFloyd
I too have same opinion that of yours on Cheran. I feel his first film 'Bharathi Kannamma' is good. Later with his films like 'Vetri Kodi Kattu' etc. he proved himself that he is an empty vessel, but trying to tell some morals in his film.
Autograph story is similar to Azhagi's but Azhagi is far more better than Autograph in my opinion. Cheran might have got inspired from 'Azhagi'.

No need to tell about IR's part in Azhagi. After few years, it may be difficult to remember who the music director of 'Autograph' is.

k_vanan
8th March 2007, 05:33 PM
Cheran's movie avare perumai patukuvaru nan vithyasamana padam appadi ippudinu. i always follow up with its interview said that his movie only is class other movie all just crap. seriyana timuru pudichu aalu. i also watched aamer interview before relase is PV, he said intha padum oru tamil cinemavaiye tirupi poda puthu, award villa pothunu sollala ithuvam oru padamunu sollavanga.

manasuneku thanadakam tham siranthathu athu aamer kitta poondra director ketta iruku. i think cheran also must follow this.

raja_fan
9th March 2007, 11:50 AM
Ok guys ! Let us come back :)

This is what I expect from MK list of songs.

1. One love duet ( sung by Vijay/Karthik with Shreya )

2. One dream song for Cheran.

3. One Cheran style message song ( probably by IR )

4. Surely one sad song by IR.

5. Probably a solo for Navya ( sung surely by Shreya/Sadhana )

:)

selvakumar
9th March 2007, 12:32 PM
I still don't understand what KSR, Vivek etc got to do with IR Albums !

IF KSR is a "Kaakaa", "Jalra" etc, I can give "N" other examples for proving who was a better "Kaakaa", "Jaalra" etc !

I request the MODS to do the needful.

BTW, If KSR is a "Tea Boy" in 10A, I hope he wouldn't have done a similar job in "Thenali", "5 Thanthiram", "Avvai Shanmughi" etc. Not to forget "Varalaaru" !

He never advises many on "How one should take a film"

He never advises "directors" on "Realism" and "Class films"

He never creates an image as if he is the only saviour of tamil cinema

He never gives an impression as if someone is a "GOD" and others should abide every word of them !

and HE is one who likes "Sincerity" and hates people with BLOATED EGO !!

Atleat, "Appreciating others" is better than "degrading others" ! 8-)

selvakumar
9th March 2007, 12:34 PM
Cheran's movie avare perumai patukuvaru nan vithyasamana padam appadi ippudinu. i always follow up with its interview said that his movie only is class other movie all just crap. seriyana timuru pudichu aalu. i also watched aamer interview before relase is PV, he said intha padum oru tamil cinemavaiye tirupi poda puthu, award villa pothunu sollala ithuvam oru padamunu sollavanga.

manasuneku thanadakam tham siranthathu athu aamer kitta poondra director ketta iruku. i think cheran also must follow this.

Knock out Post !! :thumbsup:

vigneshram
9th March 2007, 02:50 PM
Any quick reviews of "Maayakannaadi"? I'm so curious!!!!

raja_fan
9th March 2007, 02:54 PM
Vignesh,

Wait for the release to happen today and the CDs be out :)

irir123
10th March 2007, 11:07 AM
I listened to the samples at www.agimusic.com and they didnt impress me at all - ((

irir123
10th March 2007, 11:13 AM
only the first one "Konjam konjam" was ok with some annoying humming by shreya that is so un-IRish!! second one sung by IR SUCKS bigtime! sounds like a poor version of "oororama" from "Pagal nilavu" - "ulagiley" is so-so - "kasu kaiyil" is like some outdated thathhuvappadal - "oru mayalogam" sounds like a ripoff from IR's "ninu vethiki" from ANUMANASPADAM

overall, as an HCRIF, its a big letdown for me! the percussion sounds irritating and the squeals and sounds like "hey hey hey" just dont gel with IR's style - sigh, sigh, sigh

irir123
10th March 2007, 11:14 AM
why is IR doing this to us ?

Hulkster
10th March 2007, 12:02 PM
Oh my goodness..the samples look so promising...irir123 sir you went abit too overboard..im sure you know this film is a city subject :roll:

inetk
10th March 2007, 12:04 PM
100 words on Raja's music for Maayakkannaadi!

http://www.itwofs.com/milliblog

Hulkster
10th March 2007, 12:08 PM
As for maayalogam it is certainly a tamil reused version of ninnu vethiki ninnu vethiki...only point is did raja do the tamil version or telugu version first?..probably tamil version as raja chose the tunes and the situations to compose for and vamsi might have asked him to redo it in telugu considering maya kannadi was announced long before vamsi's anumanaspadam :D

thinkfloyd
10th March 2007, 01:44 PM
Listened to the samples...

Konjam Konjam sounds promising..
Yaela Yengavandhe is OK too... Nothing remakrable about the other songs...

Infact, the first two songs are in a loop :)

Coming to think about Shreya's humming in "Konjam Konjam", nalla dhaan irukku..un-IR maybe but not bad nevertheless... aanaa adhula Cheran/Nayvya Nair? :lol:

inetk
10th March 2007, 02:26 PM
Listen to the songs online at,

http://music.galatta.com/entertainment/music/songs/albumid/878/movie/maayakkannadi.html

Hulkster
10th March 2007, 02:49 PM
The full songs mark the return of IR's originality and vintage style...now im already awaiting his songs for dhanam :P

raja_fan
10th March 2007, 03:50 PM
Listen to samples and you get disappointed !

Listen full songs and there is hope.

1. Konjam konjam :

This is what you call a classic Ilaiyaraja love duet. Excellent and fresh interludes.

Best song till date in Cheran's film. Pa.Vijay should be very happy about his first song for IR.

2. Oru Maya logam :

Nice, but not near to Konjam konjam ..

3. Ulagile :

Again a good song, but not captivating on first hearing.
Lyrics and Nandita's ( who is this ? ) voice suck :(

4. Aele :

A rehash of the song "Yen maa mayakkamaa" from Thendrale ennai thodu ! Whom to blame for this outdated tune and lyrics ??

5. Kasu kaiyil, Kadhal indru :

Songs which should have been avoided..but who knows ? a situational song, might be..

Overall, this is more than enough for Cheran ! but not at all for IR's fans ! The compensation or consolation is the Konjam konjam song .

thinkfloyd
10th March 2007, 04:05 PM
Yes, Raja_fan,
Konjam Konjam is the song of the album..
Infact, i like Shreya's 'humming' that Irir was talking about :P

This song is in Keeravani. Of late, a lot of Raaja's duets have been in this scale...

raja_fan
10th March 2007, 04:22 PM
Adding to my review above :

One good thing to note is that this album contains 3 love duets overshadowing the message songs :)

I pray God that Cheran does not try any dance for any of the duets :)

Do you people note that "Ulagile" song contains some BGM similar to that in "The Music Messaiah" ?

As for the Shreya's splendid humming in Konjam konjam, I think Cheran likes this style..I am reminded of the starting humming of "Manasinulle Kaadhal vandhuchaa" from
Autograph.

rags141
10th March 2007, 08:10 PM
album is too good.....

1. konjam konjam - too good...karthick is as usual at his best...shreya goshal just steals the show.

2. kaasu kayil - decent effort

3. oru maayalogam - really good one....clean flow....interludes are good..."the oh my love" piece is too good....

4. Oyele Yenga Vandha - IR is awesome.....surprise pkg.....classy rendition by IR....

5. kadhal indru - good, decent melody line...

6. ulagiley azhagi - vijay yesudas is at his best....very good melody line....

IR is back with a bang....Top notch album....

irir123
10th March 2007, 10:27 PM
no way i would rate this album high - many of the motifs sound so jaded - even for movies like UDAN PIRAPPU, during the mid-late 90s, IR gave some interesting nos like "nandri sollavey"

the music is interesting in parts thats all - the second interlude in "Oru maayalogam", is an example

overall, the deja vu feel from TIME, Anumanaspadam continues here too

maybe, this is what IR thought Cheran deserves

irir123
10th March 2007, 10:34 PM
The interludes of "ulagiley" - IR at his recent best - the first interlude has strings playing smoothly and so pleasing to hear - the second interlude has a very different sounding table rhythm! hmm, wish the whole song's melody was as innovative - Cheran must have nodded his head like a 'bhoom, bhoom' maadu' for these tunes, instead of pressing IR for more! moral of the story (am becoming like Cheran) - IR gives his best when he works with someone who also knows what he wants exactly from IR!

and the female singer sounds like a cross between an ageing Bhanumathi and Sadhana Sargam!!

thinkfloyd
10th March 2007, 11:21 PM
Cheran must have nodded his head like a 'bhoom, bhoom' maadu' for these tunes, instead of pressing IR for more! moral of the story (am becoming like Cheran) - IR gives his best when he works with someone who also knows what he wants exactly from IR!

That's what i thought too...

Sanjeevi
11th March 2007, 12:10 AM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/cheran_070310.html

will IR+Balachandar, IR+Bharathiraja combo back?????

Sanjeevi
11th March 2007, 12:35 AM
Konjam Konjam is really a very good song. I simply liked it espcially the first interlude and the shrey's humming.

Yelae engae vantha is another funny songs from IR. His trademark song with IR speech while starting and middle (ippo paarunkanna pichu uthariduren :) :sad:). Film's success and nice picturisation with funny scenes will make this song more popular. deja-vu feel undu. so what?

Kadhal inru ippothu is agian IR trademark song with correct length (no low no high). Nice tune, lyrics and music. - My pick of the album :D

i hate anru-inru connection, even thogh, i liked the lyrics

onru servathal kadhal uyarnthatha
pirinthu povathal kadhal thazhthatha

Ulagilae azhagi is again a good song especially "azhagu rani....". Unakkuthan Enakkuthan mathiri old type lyrics :sad:

Oru maya logam has IR's 90s style. Its Good and has picturisation scope.

Kaasu kaiyil illatta is the second version of Kadhal inru ippothu song.

Overall a good album

vijayr
11th March 2007, 01:31 AM
To call this album mediocre would be praising it. Its a good thing that I havent been checking out IR's albums regularly these days. If this is the quality of songs thats been dished out then they are eminently skippable. How difficult can it be to come out with a semi-decent tune that doesnt involve the usual jaded beaten-to-death scales? The highlight of the album seems to be IR singing 3 songs himself(wink).

raja_fan
11th March 2007, 08:24 AM
Things IR should have avoided in this album :

1. Lyrics of "oru maya logam" and "Ulagilae" are really disappointing. When there are so many new younsters, still why Mu.Metha, Muthulingam etc ?

2. Voice of Nanditha in "Ulagilae"..Horrible..Tv-la kooda paada vida maataargal..eppadi IR chance koduthaar ?!

3. Aele -- exact reuse of "Yen maa andhi mayakkamaa"

Oru maayalogam -- rehash of "oru jodi kuil" from Manasellaam.

As somebody told, IR badly needs MR,BR kind of people to extract his stuff.

irir123
11th March 2007, 08:41 AM
guys I havent seen Cheran's earlier movies - but looking at the stills for MK, the amount of makeup on his face, and the "asadu" that is streaking down his smiling face, makes me wonder if he is a distant cinematic cousin of yesteryear 'pasu nesan' Ramarajan!

irir123
11th March 2007, 08:43 AM
raja_fan:MR, BR are out of question - my hope rests with Bala, and Kamal (if and when he makes his next movie under his own banner!)

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 09:52 AM
What i am thinking is...IR has lost his interest in filmi songs....perhaps he really wants to experiment in WCM albums like what he did for thiruvasagam...and besides i remember negative reviews coming for his most recent and best experimentation for jazz in mumbai express..so maybe he must have tot..if mumbai express is not appreciated then why bother about giving new stuff in filmi songs anymore :(

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 10:15 AM
Guys if possible take a long at the introduction track given by IR in the album..from what i hear it seems IR actually did the tunes according to what cheran would have wanted. :?

raja_fan
11th March 2007, 10:36 AM
IR : "But idhu oru love song.

Cheran : Aamaam.

IR : Basic love feeling irundhaa podhum, la ?

Cheran : Boom Boom

Basic love feelingukke ippadi kalakki irukkaar-naa, Cheran innum demand panni irundhaa.. ?

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 10:46 AM
The problem is...besides a few directors like KB...none of them bother to demand more..:(

vijayr
11th March 2007, 10:49 AM
Cheran actually extracted better stuff from Sabesh-Murali. He should have probably stuck with them. For the same basic "love song" they gave "Unnai saran adaindhen" in Thavamai thavamirundhu, which was an eminently hummable song. Nothing in this album even remotely approaches that. I dont have too high hopes for Bala's film too. His previous albums were nothing great,just above average.

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 10:52 AM
Perhaps he was afraid to ask IR for more...thats why we need demanding drectors rather than worshippers...who can really make IR get interested in filmi songs? :roll:

rajasaranam
11th March 2007, 10:56 AM
Oh poor IR! This album is nothing to his calibre. the interludes and orchestrations are good but he has to rethink in the tune department. Why so much of rehash???.
Konjam Konjam = Kajuraho
Kaasu kaiyil& Kaadhal ippa = many other songs
Oru maaylogam = Nenu vethiki vethiki
Yele enga vantha = yemma anthi mayakkamma
ulagile azhagi is probably new but some how it reminds me of the old ghost song 'Vetaveli pottalile' !!! may be the raaga is same.
A very big letdown from IR.
but somehow i feel the song IR mentions in the introduction 'MGR' kinda song for which Vaali wrote the lyrics first and IR tuned it in 60's or 70's style would've been a GEM if added in this album and we would have known how he tuned for the MGR's movie which was dropped later, after the song recording was done :(
Iam back to Shiva and Anumanaspadam. :)

raja_fan
11th March 2007, 10:59 AM
Vijayr,

Sabesh-Murali ? Joke adikkaadheenga please :D

Nalla vellai..Cheran did not ask IR "Ore oru oorile oru amma appa" kind of nursery rhymes :)

Hulkster,

I am not able to understand why people are telling "I am afraid approaching IR" :(

A man with utmost sincerity and dedication will have some strictness and short temper ( exceptions may be there ), but why people are interpreting that as anger and pride ?

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 11:01 AM
RS i think it would be long before we hear anything that really makes IR spark as in he gets inspired as most of the directors who sign him on basically use the more revered part of him - rerecording/bgm to elevate their film perhaps mayakannadi and naan kadavul and even some of the malayali films are in the same list with them only wanting good enough to listen songs and excellent BGM for their movies :D

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 11:04 AM
Raja_fan sir then we can conclude that people dunnot know how to ask IR to tune songs for their movie...the good thing is they respect him more of a "godlike" composer..the bad thing is that means they wunt be able to extract anything from him since they are so ready to approve even the basic of tunes from IR...that makes me feel perhaps we should only focus on the film BGM score rather than the songs itself. :?

raja_fan
11th March 2007, 11:04 AM
Rajasaranam,

The main problem is our expectations from IR more and more. Where will he go for new tunes after 30 years of hearing the same kind of situations ?

If we don't look closely and remember that this is just a Cheran movie, I think we can appreciate the music.

Also wait and see ! If the movie goes well , then I am sure you will look at the songs differently ! But only if the movie goes well...

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 11:06 AM
Cheran movie going well is plausible..he has a sort of telepathic understanding with the family audiences and now even A audiences might have a liking to it...only thing is he has to cut on the sentimental overtouches in his screenplay and the length of it which can at times turn the film off :exactly:..Raja's BGM will surely make the film look more realistic than the movie's original script thats for sure. :D

vasanth2006
11th March 2007, 11:24 AM
Maya Kannadi..... disappointing :cry:
This is not in Ilaiyaraja calibre/standards.....
though Konjam konjam is a good song...

teja
11th March 2007, 11:44 AM
Mayakannadi... :shock:

...and i thought Anumanaspadam was not up to IR's standards.

kb
11th March 2007, 12:15 PM
we have to wait to seee the movie..

coz the story is something similar to dhavani kanavugal except no sisters in this movie. how he comes to city and tries to become an actor.

may be story need olden tunes.. guess it will go well with the movie..

few songs are gud. in mayakannaadi

sureshmehcnit
11th March 2007, 12:36 PM
My thoughts

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2007/03/maayakannadi.html

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 01:57 PM
Bang on suresh...but i doubt even bala would bring IR to score IR-stamp songs when his movies have 10 times more scope for BGM..IR seems to be motivated in the scripts probably for BGM...i guess songs are just to fill in the space....but theres still hope...if there is a situation that really requires him to score well...he will really do it like ra gumma ra in anumanaspadam...and besides he has already said before he is past filmi music already...so unless theres a script that gives him never-seen-before situations...its always BGM...perhaps historical or classical movies might inspire him. :?

raja_fan
11th March 2007, 03:19 PM
On repeated hearings, I am starting to like the songs, except the voice of that Nanditha.

I am sure. If the movie is successful, atleast two songs of this movie will be remembered and demanded in TV shows..

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 03:26 PM
Raja_fan perhaps we should make a request for BGM scores rather than songs..:P

raja_fan
11th March 2007, 03:47 PM
Just wait and see !

Hulkster
11th March 2007, 04:17 PM
Listened to ulagiley Azhagi nee thaan...its now on repeated listening..while you guys are mesmerised by konjam konjam...the initial guitar lines in the prelude and the majestic like violins are really keeping me relaxed...not to mention both the interludes which can be added to his unlimited collection of symphony like interludes ...just how many different combinations for the same pattern in violins can this man think of? amazing :thumbsup: Guess i made a very bad judgement :oops:

kj
11th March 2007, 05:47 PM
what a crap album(in my opinion). From some reviews im stunned at how someone can call it a good album. It makes me think if like beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder music lies with the ears of the beholder. I would have been happy even if came up with an album as good as Madhu..but this is a big letdown.

Sanjeevi
12th March 2007, 12:53 PM
Well it is better to listen his old songs instead of MK songs. But it doesnot mean this songs are bad.

Why Cheran goes to IR for crap movies only?

Mr. Directors dont go to IR if you can't get something new from IR :evil:

selvakumar
12th March 2007, 01:07 PM
Fine ! I have not yet listened to the album. But IMHO, CHERAN is not a director who can extract something fresh from IR. Baradwaj saved Autograph I must say. In TT, two songs were O.K.

and we should not forget the fact that Cheran is not a Bala who can extract good music which can be a trendsetter (e.g., Sethu)

raja_fan
12th March 2007, 01:26 PM
Dear friends,

Please reserve all your judgements till the movie is released !
Yes, Cheran does not have a very good musical sense like MR etc.. But it should be accepted that he does justice to his songs in terms of picturisation, example is Autograph songs.

k_vanan
12th March 2007, 01:31 PM
i think bala also in the same way what cheran done. if you look at is songs for sethu, nanda and pithamagan only one songs is hit each movie apart from excellent BGM. bala very good director but not extract fresh songs from music director.

MusicIsLife
12th March 2007, 10:48 PM
I liked a couple of songs in MK.. but it looks some of the rehash tunes from the past!!, still the mystery continues, i cannot figure out which songs to pin-point, there might be more than one!!. keeps me guessing!! hmmm.....

MusicIsLife
12th March 2007, 10:48 PM
I liked a couple of songs in MK.. but it looks some of the rehash tunes from the past!!, still the mystery continues, i cannot figure out which songs to pin-point, there might be more than one!!. keeps me guessing!! hmmm.....

MusicIsLife
12th March 2007, 10:49 PM

kiru
12th March 2007, 11:56 PM
I dont like the songs that much in this movie. But it is ridiculous to say that sabesh-murali would have done better.Maybe the poster (vijayr ?) must've been mad at IR for this output :-) . The songs structure and orchestration are still very good. Maybe the tune or lyrics could have better i.e. as a composition they are new and I think technically sound. konjam konjam is the innovative song in this album. After a long time, I hear IR songing with this much energy in yElE. IR also gets to mouth his opinion on the current state of youth affairs. what songs have been written by IR ? IR probably should give more freedome to the lyrics writers. I guess he started off the konjam konjam song.

Re: deja vu feeling. I can provide an analogy from the software side. When some one else passes off a an old program with a new UI as a new software , IR writes new code with the same library. Even though it is normal to use the same library/functions in the code all time, it requires lot of effort to bring in the fresh feel. Whenever a different library is used the feel is immediately perceptible(eg. Jazz in Mumbai Express). :-)

irir123
13th March 2007, 12:39 AM
Kiru - whatever you might say, MK is not the kind of album IR should be doing these days - comeon, he does less than 10 movies a year, which means he has more time to spend all his creative energies to do lesser movies, so the creativity ought to be much higher than what it is! why isnt it so ?

ananth222
13th March 2007, 12:50 AM
Kiru - whatever you might say, MK is not the kind of album IR should be doing these days - comeon, he does less than 10 movies a year, which means he has more time to spend all his creative energies to do lesser movies, so the creativity ought to be much higher than what it is! why isnt it so ?

Exactly! I could find great positives in Anumanaspadam and Madhu, but this album is truly disappointing (even to me, an incurable sucker for IR's music)

vijayr
13th March 2007, 01:13 AM
"But it is ridiculous to say that sabesh-murali would have done better.Maybe the poster (vijayr ?) must've been mad at IR for this output "

Not at all. Listen to their previous album for Cheran and the song "Unnai saran adaindhen". Nothing great or innovative, but a very hummable fresh melody line. There was another theme in that album that was pretty decent too. IR couldnt even manage that in this album. Lets not dismiss their work just because they are Sabesh-Murali and not IR. They atleast applied themselves, even if its for just a couple of songs.

vijayr
13th March 2007, 01:18 AM
irir123, unfortunately, I dont think it works that way. Less number of films doesnt necessarily mean better quality for IR, as the last few years have indicated. Even if he does just 1 album a year, its still bound to be a disappointment unless he works for a good project/film/banner. At this stage, he needs some kind of external inspiration/goading to keep going.Exceptions might be there, but Iam not counting on it

rprasad
13th March 2007, 04:36 AM
we need to realize that IR has been in this field for so long and composed so many songs that its not going to be easy for him to come up or work for new stuff unless the director pushes him or if its his good Friends like Kamal etc. IR has nothing to prove to anyone at this stage of his career while MD's like Sabesh Murali or other youg guys need to apply themselves for each and every movie/song. In IR's case the director has to make up his mind if he wants to push IR to do something new or just take whatever he gives him at the first instance. I guess most of the directors like Cheran and others(who do not work with IR all the time) are just happy to associate IR's name in the project and do no really challenge IR to work harder for a new tune. I thought the RAgumma song in anumanspadam was oustanding composition. So we know IR can deliver ,we just have to wait for the right director/project to see it at this stage of his career.

rprasad
13th March 2007, 04:37 AM
we need to realize that IR has been in this field for so long and composed so many songs that its not going to be easy for him to come up or work for new stuff unless the director pushes him or if its his good Friends like Kamal etc. IR has nothing to prove to anyone at this stage of his career while MD's like Sabesh Murali or other youg guys need to apply themselves for each and every movie/song. In IR's case the director has to make up his mind if he wants to push IR to do something new or just take whatever he gives him at the first instance. I guess most of the directors like Cheran and others(who do not work with IR all the time) are just happy to associate IR's name in the project and do no really challenge IR to work harder for a new tune. I thought the RAgumma song in anumanspadam was oustanding composition. So we know IR can deliver ,we just have to wait for the right director/project to see it at this stage of his career.

pro20035
13th March 2007, 05:58 AM
First you say that IR is too good for movie music and he needs good directors like manirathnam, kamalhasan, cheran, bala, etc to motivate him. As somebody rightly pointed out earlier, he has given one great song each in Pithamagan and Sethu. Virumandi had one great song and one average song. Mumbai express had one average song. Athu oru kana kaalam had two good songs.

When Cheran made autograph and thavamai thavamirunthu, which had great songs, you say that IR would have done a better job. Now when he really got to score music for cheran, he had let all of us down. Now poor cheran gets blamed, because seems its his fault that he didnt extract good music from IR.

So, who do you think would be able to extract best music from IR? Manirathnam? He is the only one left in your list. i am sure that even if he tries the result would be no different.

I am a die hard fan of Raja. But friends, the truth is , he is way past his prime. In the last three years, he has been able to give good songs only for a few specific situations. Mostly nostalgic or melancholous situatioins. Even then we can see a lot of repetetiton.

There is no justification in him giving a poor output. Its important for any artist to be creative and professional. While there is no doubt about Rajas genius, i dont think he is being professional, unlike other modern composers. Its not the directors responsibility , if Raja gives bad songs. If Raja feels that the movies dont give any good opportunities for his genius to flourish, then he should stop composing music for movies.

Our lives are blessed already with so many great songs of Raja. We dont need him to go through this phase, which hopefully should not tarnish his past success. I think he should retire in grace. There is nothing left for him to prove. And thats when he should quit.

pro20035
13th March 2007, 05:59 AM
First you say that IR is too good for movie music and he needs good directors like manirathnam, kamalhasan, cheran, bala, etc to motivate him. As somebody rightly pointed out earlier, he has given one great song each in Pithamagan and Sethu. Virumandi had one great song and one average song. Mumbai express had one average song. Athu oru kana kaalam had two good songs.

When Cheran made autograph and thavamai thavamirunthu, which had great songs, you say that IR would have done a better job. Now when he really got to score music for cheran, he had let all of us down. Now poor cheran gets blamed, because seems its his fault that he didnt extract good music from IR.

So, who do you think would be able to extract best music from IR? Manirathnam? He is the only one left in your list. i am sure that even if he tries the result would be no different.

I am a die hard fan of Raja. But friends, the truth is , he is way past his prime. In the last three years, he has been able to give good songs only for a few specific situations. Mostly nostalgic or melancholous situatioins. Even then we can see a lot of repetetiton.

There is no justification in him giving a poor output. Its important for any artist to be creative and professional. While there is no doubt about Rajas genius, i dont think he is being professional, unlike other modern composers. Its not the directors responsibility , if Raja gives bad songs. If Raja feels that the movies dont give any good opportunities for his genius to flourish, then he should stop composing music for movies.

Our lives are blessed already with so many great songs of Raja. We dont need him to go through this phase, which hopefully should not tarnish his past success. I think he should retire in grace. There is nothing left for him to prove. And thats when he should quit.

pro20035
13th March 2007, 06:00 AM

pro20035

pro20035

Renault
13th March 2007, 09:48 AM
Vijayr and others.

IMO the songs will grow on you with repeated listening. Take a week's time and see whether u r still impressed with the album.

FYI, Panchu Arunachalam is the person who introduced Raja and Raja doesn't need any push to score quality music for his films. May be songs in this film is so situation-driven, thanks to whatever creativity Cheran has for an urban setting, Raja had to come out with different set of tunes.

Let's welcome Raja's novelty here as he has given us infinite melodies for ages now.

MumbaiRamki
13th March 2007, 10:22 AM
If i throw out the fact that 'A new IR album represents me ,my success ,much like how i see a match where India plays against Pakistan' ....

I did like the 4 songs very much ..Except for the thaththuvam songs of IR ,all the songs are quite good ..Esp the Konjam Konjam Bass lines are superb!

thinkfloyd
13th March 2007, 11:03 AM
he has given one great song each in Pithamagan and Sethu. Virumandi had one great song and one average song. Mumbai express had one average song.
Pithamagan - Piraye Piraye was a very good song
Virumaandi - Only one great song?? What about Karumathur Kattukulle and Karpakiragam?...Infact, all the songs were part of the narrative and were perfect for the movie.
If you are talking about hits, its a different matter...

selvakumar
13th March 2007, 11:13 AM
he has given one great song each in Pithamagan and Sethu. Virumandi had one great song and one average song. Mumbai express had one average song.

I agree with you on Pithamagan. But SETHU ??

"Maalayil Vethanai koottuthadi, Kaathal than velaiyai kaattuthadi"
"Sikkaatha Sikkonnu Sikki kitta" ( The beginning was awesome in this song. some kind of GLASS BREAK SOUND)
"Engae Sellum intha paathai"

BOSS - Sethu brought IR back truly among the teenage guys. :D Almost all the songs were great. We need that IR now :)

raja_fan
13th March 2007, 11:20 AM
pro20035,

"When Cheran made autograph and thavamai thavamirunthu, which had great songs"

Nalla joke :)

Take Autograph.

1. Don't you know that "Ovovoru pookalume" was a clear lift from IR's "Kannin maniye kannin maniye.." with the same singer and situation ?

2. Hear the starting music of "Ninaivugal Nenjinil" from Autograph and "Vaarthai Thavari vittaai.." from Setgu. Then you will know who lifted from where for the same love failure situation...

Sumaaraa pottaalum sondhamaa podanum..

For those who blame Cheran,

I want to remind you about movies like "Manam virumbudhe unnai" and "Konji pesalaam".
What did the directors of these movies do by extracting the best from IR ? They threw it in the dustbin. As long as Cheran does not do this, he is great :)

On repeated hearings, I still feel that IR has done good job in MK and you will see it after the movie release !

jagannn2210
13th March 2007, 11:21 AM
Dear all,

After Hearing MK songs i too have the same feeling ..... IR has let us down.

I have only the following to share

1) When Ir was extremely busy till early 90's he had given his best stuff. I would rather extend till early 2000's.

2) When he has ample time now, i personally feel that he could give much much better than what he gave us earlier. I would like to compare what the old north indian composers Viz., Naushad use to do. Just 2 movies per year and they are immortals.

3) I read the article by Suresh minchtand where he rightly said that for the albums like Thiruvasagam Or symphony IR had to spend time in re writing the score because he was not satisfied. Is he consciously putting the same effort for film music. I strongly doubt if he is doing ... No he is not.

4) Leave alone the tunes for MK, why is he depending heavily on the keyboards and other synths.
It was like an oasis to hear strings in the Ulagile azhagi song . But the weak rythm pattern have overlapped the beauty of the strings.

5) Finally are we expecting too much from IR...

Only after the release of the movie, we will know the fate .

kiru
13th March 2007, 12:48 PM
vijayr (and irir..),
It is not my intention to defend IR with maayakkannadi. I specifically mentioned that I do not like the songs. I have not listened to the songs from Cheran's movies other than while watching the movie. They never made an impression on me. To me the music directors preference starts with IR, ARR, KR/Vidyasagar, HJ, YSR. (But I never get past the first or second position easily :-)).
On the other hand, even the formulaic 'panam mattum vaazhkaiya' made an impact on me while watching the movie and I wished IR had done the score for other chEran's movies.
When I listen to songs, I look for continuity in the tune and orchestration, lyrics, novelty in tune/orchestration (not just a different sound). The continuity past is my minimum requirement. Somehow many MDs fail to make the grade. Even my #2 choice ARR, does not focus on the charanams as much as the pallavi. The lower choices fare much worse. I still feel IR will make a difference to this movie, inspite of the way we feel about these songs (note, the we in this sentence :-)).

raja_fan
13th March 2007, 02:49 PM
A producer sent a boy to IR.

The producer asked IR to hear a script from the boy and see whether it will be successful.

IR listened to the script and recommended the boy to the producer.

Who was the boy ?
Who was the producer ?
What is the film ?

Cheran.
Henry.
Bharathi Kannammaa.

Surprising ??

Hear what IR says in MK audio release function.

Available at indiaglitz.

Hulkster
13th March 2007, 03:08 PM
That explains why he did not make IR go for a better tune...too much respect..but then when it comes to other MDs he is able to get the best tunes out from them...we should also know IR has mentioned his disinterest in film songs and specific interest in non-filmi music...so either IR shifts to non-filmi music completely or someone whose a demanding director should do a film with IR(provided the film script interests IR first) :D

crvenky
13th March 2007, 03:09 PM
raja_fan, Interesting info. Unfortunately IR could not do the film due to producer's budget constraints, as mentioned by Cheran in Vikatan. However, he scored for the Kannada remake (Usire).

raja_fan
13th March 2007, 03:49 PM
crvenky,

This shows IR infact has friendship with many people whom we think are unknown to IR ( because they don't work with him ).

And he takes care to know the contemperory films and the artistes ! He is not inside a shell as people think he is !

Some time back, he was talking about his rejection of Annamalai, Badshaa etc.

So atleast Deva should be very thankful to IR :)

How much guts should IR have, that inspite of his declining market he sticked to his decisions even if it means Rajini movie !

irir123
13th March 2007, 07:26 PM
"How much guts should IR have, that inspite of his declining market he sticked to his decisions even if it means Rajini movie !"

Thanmaanam ulla nenjam ennalum thaazhaadhu! whatever IR might be, he truely is an inspiration in this context - 'never ever lose one's self-respect/self-esteem' - hats off Maestro!!

irir123
13th March 2007, 07:28 PM
"How much guts should IR have, that inspite of his declining market he sticked to his decisions even if it means Rajini movie !"

Thanmaanam ulla nenjam ennalum thaazhaadhu! whatever IR might be, he truely is an inspiration in this context - 'never ever lose one's self-respect/self-esteem' - hats off Maestro!!

Sanjeevi
13th March 2007, 07:43 PM
raja_fan, Interesting info. Unfortunately IR could not do the film due to producer's budget constraints, as mentioned by Cheran in Vikatan. However, he scored for the Kannada remake (Usire).

one usire song is super. i liked

raja_fan
13th March 2007, 09:26 PM
Who is the director of Usire ?

sudhakarg
14th March 2007, 06:27 AM
A little digression..

One of IR's recent songs which I'm hooked on to is "ariyAdha vayasu" song from paruththivEEran. Though yuvan is the MD for this film, indha paattu mattum IR compose paNNiyiruppArO'nnu thOnudhu!! :-)

krish244
14th March 2007, 12:32 PM
My first impression:

1) Ulagile: I like this song for its very different (coming from IR) and nice prelude, good interludes and good orchestrations. The only thing I disliked is the shift to a dafli kind of rythm pattern during "Azhagu Rani..." lyrics especially in the pallavi.

2) Konjam: Tune is pleasant and ok. The "baby" thing is nicely done (and peeps in every now and then), although I am not sure if its Shreya Ghosal. In general one of the recent soft songs by IR.

3) Kaasu/Kaadhal: The tune is ok, but the moment the rhythm pattern started, I sort of lost interest. Some tune portions gives a "heard before" feeling. Also, IR can try giving these kind of songs to other singers too. Not that he does not sing well, but its boring to hear the same voice for the same type of songs again and again.

4) Yele Yenga Vantha: The moment the "Silence please.." dialogue starts, I knew this song should be interesting. The way "Yele" starts reminded me the start of "odum mele" song. IR has given the right feel to this song. Fun song.

5) Maayalogam: I guess, now I can easily recognize Tippu's voice in any song. His style of singing is a little monotonous I feel and also I get a feeling that his way of improvising/inducing feelings is so mechanical. 1st interlude is different, but nothing great. The biggest surprise for me was the 2nd interlude. Nice guitar and bass portions. IR...please give us more like this than the syntesized/computer generated fillings. Great!

I will savour Ulagile (for the orchestration), Yele (fun song) and the 2nd interlude of "Maayalogam" song. Rest, I might skip (second thought will be given to Konjam).

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
14th March 2007, 03:03 PM
Review on Indiaglitz:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/musicreview/8196.html

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
14th March 2007, 04:39 PM
Not a neutral review ! some HCIRF has reviewed.

raja_fan
14th March 2007, 05:13 PM
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2007/03/14/stories/2007031400110100.htm

Tracking copy cats in Film Music !
IR not among the culprits :)

app_engine
14th March 2007, 07:07 PM
அட, நம்ம சக DF'er கார்த்திக்! inetk'ங்கற பேர்ல எழுதுறவர் தானே?

Congrats Karthik on getting featured in "The Hindu"...Let's all celebrate on the recognition of a fellow DF'er!

Sanjeevi
15th March 2007, 12:44 AM
I am addicted with "Ulagilae Azhagi Nee" song. Wonderful duet

raja_fan
15th March 2007, 10:01 AM
Congrats Karthik ! :) I did not know that you are inetk

jagannn2210
15th March 2007, 10:47 AM
Ajanta -Audio is going to be released on 27th March. The highlight would be Live programme ( light music) by IR

Sanjeevi
15th March 2007, 11:42 AM
Ajanta -Audio is going to be released on 27th March. The highlight would be Live programme ( light music) by IR

In madurai? Is the same function of giving awards to tamil literature persons?

http://in.tamil.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/0703/14/1070314057_1.htm

எழுத்தாளர்களை கவுரவிக்கும் இளையராஜா
திரையுலகில் மிகவும் வித்தியசமான ஒரு மனிதர் உண்டு என்றால், நிச்சயம் அது இளையராஜாதான்!.

சிம்பொனி, திருவாசகம் என்று உலகெங்கும் இசையில் பல சாதனைகளைச் செய்த இளையராஜா, விரைவில் இலக்கியப் பேரவை ஒன்றை தொடங்கவுள்ளாராம். அதன்மூலம் இலக்கியவாதிகளை தேர்வு செய்து ரொக்கப்பரிசும், இளையராஜா விருதும் வழங்க திட்டமிட்டுள்ளார்.

தமிழறிஞர் பா.நமச்சிவாயம், எழுத்தாளர் வண்ணதாசன் ஆகியோருக்கு தலா ரூ.2 லட்சம் பரிசுத்தொகை வழங்க இருக்கிறார்கள். சேதுபதி, பழனிபாரதி ஆகியோருக்கு 50 ஆயிரம் ரூபாய் ரொக்கப்பரிசும், இளையராஜா விருதும் வழங்கப்படவுள்ளது.

இளையராஜாவின் இன்னிசையுடன்

krish244
15th March 2007, 11:44 AM
Hearty congratulations Karthik (inetk) !

thanks,

Krishnan

Hulkster
15th March 2007, 11:51 AM
Ajanta Audio...well provided theres some interesting situations in the movie which produced raa gumma raa in anumanaspadam..then we might as well look forward to BGM scores..the directors of ajanta seem to be IR respecting rather than demanding also :cry:

jagannn2210
15th March 2007, 11:53 AM
after Mayakannadi... I have very little hopes . IMO lets keep our fingers crossed and hope we should be saved from the jarry synths...

K
15th March 2007, 12:01 PM
I have been a regular visitor of TFM since 1999 every raja album receives such reviews when it gets released and after few months the views gets a U turn and gets all praises from almost all, Mayakannadi will also get the same, Ulagiley, Konjam Konjam and Yele ne enga vantha will be praised NOTE down

Hulkster
15th March 2007, 12:56 PM
So the bad reviews are normal than....well to tell you the truth i like mayakannadi album especially ulagile azhagi and yele yengey vantha....perhaps the other bad reviews made me feel negative..whatever the songs coming for ajanta..we all are assured of good interludes and preludes thats for sure..:P

K
15th March 2007, 08:58 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/Ajantha_070315.html AJANTHA

raja_fan
15th March 2007, 09:23 PM
What to expect from this film ?

Everybody is unknown to us except IR. I am afraid that IR's effort will be again wasted as we saw in Manasellaam, Konji pesalam, Manam virumbudhe unnai, Kaadhal Rojave etc etc.

krish244
16th March 2007, 10:32 AM
Rediff reviews Maayakkannadi:

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2007/mar/15ssmaa.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
16th March 2007, 12:01 PM
See the title of the review. Though it is true, it shows rediff's attitude towards IR's music.

raja_fan
16th March 2007, 12:02 PM
Any info on the audio sales ?

raajarasigan
16th March 2007, 01:13 PM
Inimae Naangadhaan in April

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/29918.html

Nagu.

raja_fan
16th March 2007, 02:12 PM
After a long time, 3 movies of IR releasing in the same month ? MK, Ajantha and Inime Nangathaan.

btw..I read in Hindu Friday review that Prathap Pothen is going to direct a film with Madhavan as hero. Will he go to IR as usual ?

Shankar
16th March 2007, 02:43 PM
>>>>>
After a long time, 3 movies of IR releasing in the same month ? MK, Ajantha and Inime Nangathaan.
<<<<<

Nothing to be very happy about...MK is bad, and IN is nothing to rave about...Hmm...I just remember 1982 deepavali when NizhalgaL, and Eera vizhi kAviyangaL hit the screens...Just think about those songs and these...Has Raja really lost it ?

raajarasigan
16th March 2007, 04:16 PM

btw..I read in Hindu Friday review that Prathap Pothen is going to direct a film with Madhavan as hero. Will he go to IR as usual ?

No... he is not going to do with IR.... :shock:

the music will be by Shankar, Ehsaan and Loy..

vigneshram
16th March 2007, 05:53 PM
Though I hate to tell this, I have nearly lost all my hope and confidence in Raja. He is obviously losing his touch. Call it his lack of involvement or inspiration. When he could churn out hits after hits for average masala films in 80s, why can't he come up with quality music for the few movies he sign nowadays. Analysing in chronological order, even for the directors who work only with him now and for whom Raja also holds respect, like Fazil, Balumahendra, the songs he give are sub standard (leave out the exceptions, I am comparing with previous projects).

Listening to Maayakannaadi, I was frustrated. I pay Rs.95 for this mediocre album. He signs only 2 or 3 films a year. Can't he do justice to them?
Recently I read an interview of Vidhu vinod chopra, speaking about RD Burman. At one point of time, all RDB's compositions were flops and he became so insecure that, trying to keep up with trend, he made further worser compositions. Vidhu vinod chopra had counselled him, gave him all the time and confidence and RDB came out with 1942 Love story, which was a huge success and RDB went to grave with pride. Some how I was reminded of Raja.

Can't he make a Collosal leap and like a sphinx , can't he give us a Huge Musical treat?

ramk1
16th March 2007, 07:18 PM
Vignesh, I agree with you. He doesn't have that much work load and why is he doing this to people who place faith in him?. when he displaced his contemporary musicians didn't he know that he has to keep up with time and has to constantly give out quality music?. I have lost all hope in him, and i realise that it is futile to keep expecting that he will give out some quality stuff in future albums. Atleast he should listen to his son's music and understand that his style of music(if you call that music) has gone stale and people don't like his preaching or his voice over on songs. I felt like barging on to the stage of the music release function and then venting out all his fan's anger. Is there somebody who is nearer to him whom we can report our concerns?.
For the past 15 years(ever since roja was released) he has been promising his so called musical feast and we are the ones who have been disappointed continously.
Down with the maestro(This is coming out of a fan who has been listening to his music for the past 20 years). There would be movies where every IR fan would think, oh if only IR had done the music for this movie. I don't think anybody should even hope for such an hypothetical situation any more.

thumburu
16th March 2007, 08:40 PM
ramki, vignesh etal, Raja is not God . He is old and it is impossible to recreate magic. Let us accept the fact and move on to the current breed instead of flogging a dead horse

irir123
16th March 2007, 08:44 PM
IR does need someone/script to inspire him - for all the relative junk he does, how did he manage to give "Mumbai Xpress" - most likely it is the Kamal factor!

at this stage, he is not going to work with any of the biggies! so the only way I see IR coming up with something absolutely pathbreaking, would be when someone in the younger crop, as TALENTED as Kamal, works with him!! which is something that is doubtful! I cannot think of anyone in the current crop of filmmakers, with a passion-commitment plus knowledge of cinema and music in the league of Kamal! therefore, no point in expecting some great stuff!

unless of course, ppl get together to lure him to an artistically lucrative and viable project to enthuse him, I dont see much ahead either!

rooky
16th March 2007, 08:47 PM
IR is known for natural and soul touching music with long interludes and variations.You wont see any artificial sounds there.

You can't expect that type of music today.Even if he does something like that,most of you will call it outdated.

His case is the one like Sachin.People expect a lot from him.whatever he does,people won't be satisfied and would always complain while they would praise a 40s and 50s from a newcomer, they would not praise a sachin 70 or 80.Same is the case for IR.

rprasad
16th March 2007, 08:47 PM
People who are so called IR fans seem to be making some ridiculous statements here.

Vignesh, IR has not lost it. As i said earlier IR is no longer in that Age or at that stage of his career where he would give hits for even average masala movies. Why dont you guys understand this? Just because he does only 3 or 4 movies (which are basically average movies with directors who have either lost their touch or do not know how to extract good stuff from IR at this point)does not mean he will be inspired to give great music. At his age and his stage of career he needs more than that to be inspired to do good music. Ofcourse he has given some wonderful stuff still like Mumbai exp, Virumandi which are brilliant scores. So as long as there are movies like that we know that IR will come up with the good stuff. So there is no reason to be down on IR. by the way Balu Mahendra and Fazil have lost their touch and do not produce the same quality of movies anymore and its hardly suprising that IR does not get inspired to do more with their movies. remember the last Fazil good movie Kadhaluku Maryadhai - had great IR music.

Ramk1: your views seem to be really ridiculous asking IR to listen to Yuvan is the stupidest suggestion i have come across. IR's music is not jaded maybe ur taste has become jaded. So what does he learn from Yuvan? how to remix old songs or where to copy songs from?. IR is too good for that. His music is a contemporary as it can be for the right movie/director. As for IR not giving musical feast after 1992. you must be either deaf or not listened to any songs. Anyone will list the number of brilliant numbers IR scored during that period. Pl do not post such silly stuff.

irir123
16th March 2007, 08:48 PM
thumburu - raja is not god - but creativity has no age bar! in fact, many of the great composers (not the masters from the bygone centuries) in the West, actually mature only when they reach the age of 60 and then on, only get better! IR belongs to that creed!

rooky
16th March 2007, 08:49 PM
Konjam konjam is very impressive indeed :)

Sanjeevi
16th March 2007, 08:51 PM
older age is not an issue at all, because some month back the same person has given mind-blowing siva. At the same time, age factor will reduce the speed of IR not the quality, I believe.

I think, MK songs not for his HC fans, it is for normal people.

ramk1
16th March 2007, 09:28 PM
My comments are not ridiculous. Asking IR to listen to his son's music is not ridiculous at all. Few years back, IR and ARR was compared by Madhan in his kelvi badhilgal in AV. He aptly summarized how a genius works. During the formative years, learning would be more, listening to contemporary music would be more, and the eagerness to create and excel in one's musical output would be more. But after certain time, the eagerness dissipates, one begins to think his creative musical output is the best. I feel IR is in that mindframe right now. All i want him to do is, just sit up, think that his output is not all that great, and create good music that's all. He may be a genius, but how long can one keep praying that he would come out with a good one which would be atleast 50% good in comparison to his peak time songs?.

rprasad
16th March 2007, 09:50 PM
I think you are missing my point here. what i meant by IR being at this age is not that he is too old to compose good music. What i meant was at this age he is not too driven to compose great music for any average movie or situation as he would have in his peak time. This i think is a natural progression for any composer or artist. While his skills or knowledge/creativity is in noway diminished, his desire or enthusiasm to drive himself to create great scores for every average movie is no longer there. But again his average score is still much better than the kuthu music being dished out by some md's today. We just have to listen with an open mind and not constantly expect great stuff or try to compare it to his other hits.

ramk1: Where did you come to the conclusion that IR does not listen to any contemporary music or artists? I bet he does more than you and i can think of(I bet he listens to Rahman numbers since he hold him in high esteem). and by the way Yuvan has not reached that stage where listening to his music would be called listening to quality modern music.That does not mean that he should make his music trying to sound like the them. He has his style and he always trys to implement modern sounds without disturbing his signature style. That is the mark of a great composer. He has composed quite a few great songs during the past decade or so. I am not sure why you are not able to locate them. Maybe you need a list of them to listen to . Then you will stop this ranting i think. listen to Raa Gumma song from the telugu movie Anumanspadam movie and then you will realize how IR has implemented modern sounds to his signature style to come up with a stunning number. also listen to Dheemi Dheemi song from hindi Shiva movie. Another stunnig modern and stylish number. So pl stop this ranting and enjoy his songs with an open mind.

app_engine
16th March 2007, 10:00 PM
Sometime back there was a thread in the DF that asked for suggestions for a new IR album...and among many suggestions, one was to pick & tune old Thamizh literature and orchestrate...Obviously that thread was not the direct reason why IR did TbI, but it definitely (well, kind of...) reflected the nature of attempts that could inspire him to score some good music (which he REALLY did in that acclaimed work).

Rather than too much worrying about his movie projects and lamenting, what I would do is appreciate the couple of sparks here and there (like dheemi-dheemi in Shiva or the addl. arrangements that vidiya vidiya got in jOsh mEin or the beautiful ending of ninu vethiki vethiki choosi etc.) and be happy about it. And listen to his classics for most of the time (or listen to other sources like "smooth jazz" FM, munbE vA, aRiyAdha vayasu...)

I haven't listened to MK as I don't have real player installed...so can't comment now...However, going by the statements in this thread, it's mediocre (or probably more retro)...The least IR can do is to listen to his hardcore admirers in just one aspect : "PLEASE DON'T SING MORE THAN ONE SONG IN ANY ALBUM!"...it was OK during his prime to do more numbers. It'll be considered overdose now.

IR still has many years of good music in him, to score real classics and he is definitely not too old to compose. It's good that he does fewer movies, but should do more instrumentals (whether they are received well in market or not). They'll speak more about him in generations to come as he is a real master in that! What about a "piano main" or "guitar main" kind of work (Like violin in HTNI and flute in NBW)?

ramk1
16th March 2007, 10:18 PM
Prasad, why are you using rude words?. I am trying to post my views and i don't think i am against anybody personally. I am not pointing you are wrong. I am just saying what i feel.
I do accept that he has produced few gems over the past few years but again what i am trying to say is with his level of creativity and his genius, he can come up with better output. An output which we IR fans can rave about. There has been only 'thiruvasagam' which was a complete album and apart from that, there has been an occassional drizzle here and there. That's what i am not able to accept. He was the same guy who elevated 'poonthotta kavalkaran' movie to great heights and he was the same person who gave 'kaattu vazhi' in 'andha naal nyabhagam'. The reason iam mentioning poonthotta kavalkaran is because, the movie was a dud and all the songs were good. But the recent 'andha naal nyabhagam' had only one song that was good. PK's music was scored when he was having 20 films in pipeline and ANN was scored when he had hardly 5 movies on hand. If he does not have his creative trigger any longer in film music, then as a musical genius, he should embark on initiatives which sustains his creative output. There were people who waited in line to get his 'thiruvasagam CD' and people still whistle when his name appears on theatre screens. For those fans of IR, he should produce 1 complete album with his soul stirring music for which he is famous. I don't want to hear just a sample of it in 'Dheemi Dheemi' or in 'Kekkalayo' song occasionally.

app_engine
16th March 2007, 10:22 PM
rprasad, If you happen to know someone close to IR (I suspect so, going by your postings), why don't you please take up the sincere suggestion to do an instrumental album with a main lead instrument (as suggested in my post above and not movie OST)...minimally orchestrate around the main melody being played by that instrument...I'm sure it'll be a channel to his creativity and we'll get a real treasure for years to keep...(For that matter even if the main melody is one of his yesteryears' movie song's tune, it'll still be worth the effort...as this work would ensure a long life for the original song and can happily be showcased to our friends of different nationalities without any language barrier...)

vem
16th March 2007, 11:26 PM
app_engine

The songs have come in www.musicindiaonline.com.
So you can listen there without real player :)

As mine is the same case as urs, I listened to the album quite late after those incisive remarks on the album.

My 2 cents :

IR's song - "kadhal illatta" is a good song with lot of meaning. As I like all songs with IR's voice, I somehow liked it. It may not be as melodious as other songs such as "marathai vachavan", it is still a good song.

Konjam konjam - a melody - but sounds like "enna solli" from en mana vaanil.

Oru mayalogam - a very pedestrian effort from IR. Just no point beating about the bush here I suppose.

Other songs are not very catchy - and I lost patience here and went back to listening to his "oru kunguma chengamalam" from Aaradhanai.

As I have already stated in this thread here, this over the hill IR looks like a totally different avatar from the one in 80s and 90s. It may not be entirely due to senility, but also could be due to lack of motivation.

rprasad
16th March 2007, 11:26 PM
Ramk1, I did not use any rude words. But i apologise if you felt offended. I was only trying to explain the difference in IR from now vs IR in his prime years.When you compare the output from Poonthotta kavalkaran and the songs in Balu mahendra movie of recent times. you have to understand again that IR was in his prime and was very much striving to make his mark in the music field and was fill of enthusiasm and vigor and hence the output was good even for a dud movie(atleast most of the times). But now even a Balu mahendra movie unless its a good one(like Marupadiyum which had excellent songs)it does not excite IR anymore and for his friendship sake with BR he gives one good song like a teaser and then gives average stuff for others. BR again falls into the category of too much respect for IR and does not push IR at all. Now come to Kamal, he is an interesting guy and is not afraid to challenge IR with his ideas(i think that is the case). So IR does get excited for his movies(some of them atleast) and gives some nice wholesome albums like Hey Ram, Virumandi and Mumbai Exp. We need more directors like that(Mani would be one if atall he can find a script for IR as he claims) if you want to hear real creative stuff from IR in movies any more. I agree that he needs to do more non film stuff to satisfy his creative talents.

rprasad
16th March 2007, 11:35 PM
app_engine,

I do not know anyone personally who are close to IR. I know some people in the film industry(who are related to Ram Gopal verma who made Shiva). I also agree with your suggestion that IR should do an Instrumental album. Just listening to his BGM's gives me an impression that he can compose excellent non western classical music peices as well as the fusion pieces he did with how to name it or nothing but wind. I do suspect he is planning to do something . I cannot imagine him being sitting idle just doing the odd junk movies. I guess he has to recover from Thiruvasagam and then recharge himself before launching another album. But i can certainly try to get the message across to him if possible through my film contacts.

ramk1
16th March 2007, 11:51 PM
Prasad. Thanks. We are all venting out our disappointment over IR's current movie. that's all. Just because he has influenced us with his music in our formative years, we feel more closer to his music and are eager for his music. if he disappoints, we are upset and feel that he has let down his fans. I also feel, that there should be one director who has the respect of Raja and yet possessing a contemporary style should work with him. And IR should also have the inclination to come out with a product that would satisfy the appetite of his music fans. if not a film album it could be an initiative like 'TIS'. Otherwise over time, the praises heaped on IR(during MK music release) would become false adulations. How muchever we respect him, there should be atleast 1 person who can get nearer to him and vent out all our recent disappointments and make him know what his fans want. Hope that happens. I cannot wait for my entire liftetime for his so called 'feast'.

az_raja_fan
17th March 2007, 12:49 AM
All that Ilayaraja has to do:

1) STOP SINGING - that includes his daughter

2) Get back to his strong point -orchestration

3) Give us songs like "Onnu rendu moonu naalu" from Dharmadurai. What a song man!!! I donno how many would have realized the amazing orchestration - especially the prelude. I want that Raja back!!

What happened to the trumpets, the bass, the flutes and the violins?? His sync music is just plain jarring, to say the least.

I share your pain fellas, he just keeps disappointing with his mediocre stuff, and he needs to be watchful of his jalras and use common sense. Does he seriously think movies like "Madhu" or even "Ajantha" will stand even 10 days in the BO?

app_engine
17th March 2007, 02:10 AM
Thank you Vem for the link.

Actually I liked some of the songs (may be because I started with very low expectations):-)

'ulagilE azhagi nee dhAn' is nice...(edhu first? idhA `ninu vethikki vethikki'yA?)...There are some differences in orchestration between the two versions. The opening prelude is much better in MK (actually awesome) and so is the 2nd interlude. Overall, the Thelungu song is more polished...Vijay sounds more like his dad in this song than in any other, IMO. My pick of the album.

'konjam, konjam' is sweet to listen too...though the orchestration shows Raja's total lack of interest in this 'basic love feel song':-) pazhaya notes edhAvadhu eduththukkoduththiruppAr, then the "arranger" would've done the rest...

I liked the 'Oh my love, love' part in the mAya lOgam song and also the voice of Manjari...sweet...

Songs sung by Raja may be situational and reflect some old time period in the story...should wait and see the movie...

Remove the superlatives that people shower on Raja in such audio releases (don't even look at it as a Raja album but an average TFM album)...then perhaps we can enjoy a couple of songs...

irir123
17th March 2007, 05:03 AM
guys - i gave MK a second listen - hmmm.. this is my take:

the 2 nos by IR by all means will become popular in B and C centers! donno why am saying this, just my gut instict!

'ulagile nee' has a great prelude, really good interludes, but the whole tune definitely gives me 'deja vu!'

'mayalogam' has interludes tat only show shades of IR's stamp, much of it has a 'B-grade' TV serial music feel

overall, the music, though might not appeal to HCIRFs, could very well become popular - not the way IR's yesteryear classics became appealing to HCIRFs and also the not-so-HCIRFs, but still popular

irir123
17th March 2007, 05:04 AM
and perhaps 'just popular' is what Cheran might have planned for, and IR delivered just that -

irir123
17th March 2007, 05:12 AM
guys - lets keep aside MK - here is the link for the Hindi version of "Katril" from Jhonny

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindi_bollywood/s/movie_name.8719/music_director.504/

IR has introduced some subtle changes towards the end of the charanam tune, and Asha Bhosle's rendition is sweet (if not as good as that of SJ in the original)

and the instrumental choice is so contemporary as well!

crvenky
17th March 2007, 02:12 PM
Another blogger's review of MK album:

http://mkarthik.blogspot.com/2007/03/blog-post_1754.html

Sanjeevi
18th March 2007, 01:21 AM
Saw the new trailer of MK

quite interesting.... :cool:

Sanjeevi
18th March 2007, 01:40 AM
it is better to listen in head/ear phone

so many echo technology almost in all the songs

in Konjam song, between karthik & shreya there was a competition? surprisingly both have won in their own way. especially karthik while singing "Kathal ulangalin thunbam poga hey hey" and shreya while singing "Chelam chelam" (how sweet her voice)

ithey paadalgalai vidyasagar allathu veru yaravathu potirunthal ingu paadal sari illainu sonnavargal rasithirukkalam. because we expect a lot from IR

Now, my cellphone ringtone is "Oru Mayalogam" :cool: nice tune for ringtone

dont apply your great music listening knowledge to MK song

irir123
18th March 2007, 02:01 AM
MK trailer - cheran appears to be a more polished TRajendar in the rather naive way in which he explains his whatever he has in mind!

svbp007
18th March 2007, 05:34 AM
After a looooong time, I was completely bowled over by the first interlude of the yelae yenge from mayakannadi.

One thing that seems to be apparent to me is that songs of IR these do not sound good on any web version or low quality version and they are made for good sound systems and good quality. It was not the case before.

I like anumanaspadam from recent times...and that too only after few listens. I still miss the grandeur and charm of his earlier music. Earlier today, I was listening to Malayoram mayilae song...and that really symbolizes what many people say they miss...the sparkle in that song...the innumerable decorations to the song...and at the core of it a very simple and catchy tune.

Please listen to the first interlude of the yelae song from mayakannadi in good sound system and you will be bowled over...the rythym is excellent.

Hulkster
18th March 2007, 08:44 AM
I am not sure why guys are saying IR is at a all time low...i mean his penchant for providing complex interludes and guitar usage is apparent in some of MK's songs..then why the sudden polamabal?..come on guys...IR has announced before filmi music does not interest him..the problem is we expect him to give excellent music for situations that he has scored numerous times...if any innovation has to come it must be a situation where IR has never scored before...but all the directors coming to him now give him the same old situations that we have seen loads of times...even if i was a MD i would have thought of old tunes...IR needs to go non-filmi already..after all he has done everything in film music already :D

rajasaranam
18th March 2007, 05:54 PM
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=9467 :)

sudhakarg
18th March 2007, 11:31 PM
Its quite interesting to read such passionate discussion amongst IR fans about MK. The one point that I didn't see being discussed is about the "song situation" and what Cheran wanted from IR.

Over the last 10 years (post Kadhalukku Mariyaadhai), what we've seen is IR keeping his orchestration to a bare minimum - save for a Guru or a few songs here & there. So if we were to keep comparing his 80s and early 90s songs to what he is dishing out now, we would be hugely disappointed. And we would not be doing justice to comparing apples with apples. Its just not the same, and unless and until we have sources close to Raja (who does speak to the media), we'll never know why he changed his style.

But then in the same period (post-KM), one thing that fascinates me the most is his ability to create a "theme" for every movie. e.g all songs in Mumbai Express had the same theme, songs in Virumandi etc etc. And his BGM has not faultered and on deeper analysis, I feel his songs gel with the movie a lot more than in the 80s. There are no more songs created for the sake of IR (a la Mohan & mike), and IR's music blends *with* the movie.

Lets wait for MK to release and see if this was really a bad effort from IR. And you know, what I'll bet on :-)

svarman
20th March 2007, 09:55 PM
I agree with sudhagar. I have read in this same forum 2y years ago that Mumbai Express songs were crap!Now, people are raving about it. Because of the negative review in the forum and from the so called HCIR fans, I avoided listening to MX for a year!!

But when I listened to it after a year, I was totally blown over. What an album, to rave about!
Its the same with Pithamagan. Out came the negative reviews; "dejavu feelings", "no original effort" "rehashed tunes"!!!
I am sure these HCIR fans will be ravingabout Ilangatru veesuthe, for next ten years, from now on. I sincerely agree with the hubber that IRs music nowadays gel more with the movie than as a standalone project. Also with a theme in it!. For eg "Bharathi", ""Azhaghi" etc etc.

sloshed
20th March 2007, 11:39 PM
All your cause/effect ideologies to Raja's Music may be valid. But the whole point is why isnt there anyone to extract "The" music from Raja. If not now when??? As fans we may all be satisfied with 80's and then one more far and few. So is that all his legacy is going to be about ?
I havent heard any of Raja's recent ones.
I was only happy with "Shiva". Raja pioneered things starting with "Priya" when he was captivated with using a stero sound system. But then is he not annoyed with the kind of ouput (synth sound) in most of his recent songs.

and coming to his BGM, I had a chance to watch "Nadodi thendral" last weekend. (I haad nuthing to do ..so i thought I would catch up on this one .. since I havent seen this) ... I had literally tears in my eyes.(I was struggling to control in front of my gf) . the BGM shook me apart... Here is a guy who could afford and yet !! ...
the violins..and piano pieces ... probably they should have standalones next to IR statue in the future....

And I dont hear such BGMs too anymore.. Marupadiyum...Idayam..Idayathai Thirudathey..Mouna Ragam.. Salangai Oli ...when do we hear and feel such things anymore ?? .. I just pray and hope that he is not trying to outdo the young crop of MD's with his "technical" output and just play to his strengths....

Btw did anyone see "Babel" .. I thought the BGM was damn interesting... each country shown had the BGMS played with native instruments...

irir123
21st March 2007, 03:50 AM
sloshed - yes BABEL had interesting BGM pieces - the mexican and the moroccon parts had a spanish guitar playing discordant notes throughout

btw, an European composer Alexandre Desplat is making waves in Hollywood - he scored for "The Queen", "The Painted Veil"

ananth222
21st March 2007, 05:10 AM
sloshed - yes BABEL had interesting BGM pieces - the mexican and the moroccon parts had a spanish guitar playing discordant notes throughout

btw, an European composer Alexandre Desplat is making waves in Hollywood - he scored for "The Queen", "The Painted Veil"

yes, the music was simple but nice. The Moroccon BGM sounded like bhoopalam!

ananth222
21st March 2007, 05:28 AM
that part actually sounds a lot like "raja magal" from pillai nila..! (just the first few notes)
But check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c86RxMVzHTU

hmm... interesting!

kiru
21st March 2007, 12:48 PM
that part actually sounds a lot like "raja magal" from pillai nila..! (just the first few notes)
But check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c86RxMVzHTU

hmm... interesting!
right..the notes for 'raja magaL' seem to match ..from them on it seems to be different. Probably a coincidence or a very remote subconcious inspiration.

sloshed
21st March 2007, 09:03 PM
Alexandre Desplat .. I have heard about that guy ever since OScars.. didnt get to see Queen ... will reserve my verdict till then ...

The thing that amazed me in Babel is the wonderful use of silence.. a la IR style...

Also I would encourage tfm folks to watch Cinema Paradiso at any cost... it affects you at every level ..period.

IHMO.. its on of the best BGMS my life has witnessed...(must be in the top 3) ... its a classic.. i couldnt help recollecting IR and how he would have done it..

app_engine
21st March 2007, 09:48 PM
"pazhassi rAjA" launch pics...

http://sify.com/entertainment/movies/imagegallery/gallery/index.php?hcategory=13733817&hgallery=14413804class=bluebold

All the previous movies by Hariharan-MTV combo with Bombay Ravi as the MD provided some extraordinary melodies (yes, in each of them)...ippO Raja sir is involved in a project with them...mmmm...one thing is sure, if this combo cannot extract some decent melodies from IR (not necessarily great orchestration but tuneful melodies that melt the heart), we can almost conclude that IR needs to stick to only BGM in the realm of film music and no more songs...

app_engine
21st March 2007, 10:17 PM
Even without Hariharn, the MTV / Bombay Ravi combo with Bharathan gave some extraordinary stuff
in 'vaishali'...We need to wait and see how IR is faring...it's kind of a litmus test for the current level of creativity for him...I'm sure this team won't settle for any kind of rehashes as they are known to show marked difference in each of their films...

And this wikipedia user article on Bombay Ravi does some comparisons with IR...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravi_%28music_director%29

raja_fan
21st March 2007, 10:40 PM
"...it's kind of a litmus test for the current level of creativity for him..."

app_engine,

Please think twice before letting out this kind of comments. Ilaiyaraja needs a litmus test now after reaching the most unreachable peaks of film music ??, that too from some Hariharan and MTV ??

Btw.. for those people who doubt IR's present creative juices or style, just listen again to "Thanka Thinkal.." from Manasinakkare and "Swasathin Thaalam.." from Achuvinte Ammaa !

No, the old Raja is not lost ! He is still here, just that he does not do it in Tamil :(

app_engine
21st March 2007, 11:04 PM
raja_fan, didn't I say "current level"? :-) Even those films that you've quoted are now "old"...

Seriously, only in 2006/07 we see a marked higher percentage of remixes / rehashes with Raja's film music...(shiva, anumanaspadam, mayakkannadi etc....cheeni kum will be similar too and what else is in the making BTW?)

And your statement "that too from some Hariharan and MTV "...what can I say...Please do a search on their movies...let's recognize that there're talents in the world besides Raja...

And it's been observed by many DF'ers other than myself of Raja not doing justice to the "fewer" movies he's doing currently...(at least in the songs)...

app_engine
21st March 2007, 11:18 PM
A few of the justifications for mediocre songs in the recent movies by Raja are summarised below:

-no great director (or other crew) to "extract" good melodies

-no interesting subject to thrill him to come up with interesting score

-no "big" projects involving big names

Well, now we have this 'pazhassi rAjA' which satisfies all the above criteria...That's why I said it's a litmus test...pArppOm...I'm confident that IR can rise to the occasion and provide a scintillating score...

app_engine
21st March 2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/fr/2007/01/19/stories/2007011900780100.htm

one of those many that show up when I did a google on Hariharan + MT Vasudevan nair...

crvenky
22nd March 2007, 12:30 PM
Apparently, the audio of Raja's new Malayalam movie Vinodayatra (Sathyan Anthikkad) is released couple of days back. It has 4 beautiful melodies.

Hulkster
22nd March 2007, 12:49 PM
I found the songs here

http://www.123musiq.com/Vinodayathra.htm

Guys listen to mandarapoo..its very refreshing and IR-standard melody...now that is the style of tune that we want from IR..:thumbsup:

Thenippayum has a enterprising prelude and that coming from IR..so hip...:P

Hulkster
22nd March 2007, 04:26 PM
Guys i would like to know if IR handles composing,arrangements,mixing and everything by himself for malayalam movies..cause the sound of violins and some instruments differs compared to tamil and telugu where the sound is more real and clear :?

raja_fan
22nd March 2007, 04:32 PM
Captivating songs ! on the first hear !!

IR proves my point that he is still here, but just not in Tamil !

Why is he denying "mandarapoo.." kind of bliss to tamils ? Why is he so angry with us ? :(

raja_fan
22nd March 2007, 05:25 PM
Mandarapoo..
Only original drums..no synth used..

K
22nd March 2007, 09:15 PM
Vinodayatra proves that Raaja Raaja than "The King Emperor Of Music"

app_engine
22nd March 2007, 09:21 PM
vinOdha yAthra - decent & sweet work by IR:-)

kai yeththA kombaththu - my pick of the album,
though resembling a KJY song in Julie Ganapathy (I don't remember the Thamizh song)...very soft and excellent orchestration, esp. the original Raja's "melodic style bass guitar" work -watch out for this in the saraNams! Female version is more enjoyable as KJY is struggling, unfortunately (especially in the last few words of the anupallavi)...

akkiththukki - is it Vijay or his dad himself (or someone else...may be MG Sreekumar...not sure)? decent fun song! Why not someone write such lovely lyric in Thamizh that can be both racy and without inglipeese words?...namma poets'kku indha song can be given as a lesson...Raja switched to synth style guitar in this (which is not my personal preference)...still, sweet to listen...'madhuramallE jeevitham'

mandArappoo - typical IR-mallu song in the post-kAlApAni era...listenable..., though with the 'mArikkoottinnuLLil' & 'minnAram mAnaththu' dejavu feeling. Sure to become popular...(which is why IR probably chose a tested & tried format for this song IMO)...a little bit westernised though, compared to the prior hits...

thennippAyum - catchy tune with flashes of brilliance here and there...pretty youthful...some irritation, though, in the chorus sounds and kachcha-muchcha synth sounds here and there...

Raja may have done better works in Malayalam earlier but this one is much better than his recent mAyakkaNNAdi:-) Like his prior works for Sathyan Anthikkad, this is a minimum-guarantee job!

And I expect a more classy output for pazhassi rAjA now!

kiru
22nd March 2007, 11:48 PM
Good..but not great..Looks like some effort has been put into the tunes (probably to give the album a youthful feel) ..the pallavi's are interesting..but charanams shift to regular 'raagam programming' :-) Also, the freshness is not there in the orchestration..ie. the notes for the instruments ..especially in key places like the transition from pallavi to interlude etc..Everything is synth..just good synth.

ananth222
23rd March 2007, 12:41 AM
Compared to mayakkannaadi, this is bliss! But when compared to his other fairly recent mallu works, it lacks the "majesty" of songs like 'oru chiri kandaal' or some songs from kochu kochu santhoshangal. Still, the melodies are good and well orchestrated. On the whole, a really refreshing album! If he wants to settle on some middle ground between his glory days and now, this is as good as any.

MumbaiRamki
23rd March 2007, 09:21 AM
True ...
What difered from Maaya kannadi was the orchestration ..This is pleasing to ears !
Very nice album in my opinion !!!!

teja
23rd March 2007, 09:47 AM
"Vinoda yathra"... lives up to its name.
IR's best album in recent times... IMO.

"Kai yeththA kombaththu" - Simply brilliant :clap:

I have no words worthy enough to describe this melodious composition.
IR never ceases to surprise me...! Just when I was about to give up hopes on IR's new releases... he comes up with a trump card in the form of 'Vinoda Yathra'.

Wish IR comes up with at least one such song in all his forth coming albums.

itsmuls
23rd March 2007, 11:13 AM
I dont know why you people are bashing "Mayakkanadi" this much bad. This Album is NOT bad for giving negative remarks.

Just stop reading/commenting negative remarks about the album, close your eyes listen this album in any walk-man or CD-man with good head/ear phone. I am very much sure that you wont loose your hearts.

This Album is simply brilliant especially when IR asks Cheran, Is it a basic love ? and in the introduction IR explains about the situation too for the song.... Konjam Konjam....., I am really Love with this song, Enna Song.......enneramum intha song thaan manasella odikitte irukku......

I would keep Konjam Konjam, Oru Mayalogam, Ulagiley as Brilliant, Yelea..... Outstanding, Kasu & Kadal..... Extraordinary.

K
23rd March 2007, 12:22 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/heroes/sarath_070320.html

inetk
23rd March 2007, 02:45 PM
100 words on Vinodayatra's music!

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/

raja_fan
23rd March 2007, 03:26 PM
itsmuls,

You are right !

People start expecting too much that they miss to appreciate the beauty before them :)

Sanjeevi
23rd March 2007, 05:56 PM
http://content.msn.co.in/Tamil/Entertainment/Articles/0703-19-1.htm

எல்லோர மூவி கிளப் பட நிறுவனம் சார்பில் ராஜ்பா ரவிஷங்கர் தமிழ், தெலுங்கு, மலையாளம், கன்னடம் ஆகிய மொழிகளில் தயாரிக்கும் அஜந்தா படத்துக்காக 36 பாடல்கள் பதிவு செய்யப்பட்டது. ஒரே இசையமைப்பாளர் இசையமைப்பில், ஒரே படத்துக்காக இத்தனை பாடல்கள் பதிவு செய்யப்பட்டது உலகத்திலேயே இதுதான் முதன்முறை என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

இப்படத்தின் ஆடியோ கேஸட் வெளியீட்டு விழா மார்ச் 27ம் தேதி மதுரையில் அரசு மருத்துவக் கல்லூரி மைதானத்தில் மாலை 6.00 மணியளவில் நடைபெறவிருக்கிறது.

இப்படத்தின் ஆடியோ சி.டி.யை இளையராஜா வெளியிட, பாரதிராஜா பெற்றுக் கொள்கிறார். ஆடியோ கேஸட்டை இளையராஜா வெளியிட, இயக்குநர் சேரன் பெற்றுக் கொள்கிறார்.

இந்திய சினிமா வரலாற்றிலேயே திறந்தவெளி அரங்கில், மக்கள் முன்னிலையில் திரைப்பட ஆடியோ கேஸட் வெளியீட்டு விழா நடைபெறுவது இதுதான் முதல் முறை! அதோடு, இசைஞானி இளையராஜா திறந்த வெளி அரங்கில் ஆடியோ வெளியீட்டு விழாவுக்காக இன்னிசை நிகழ்ச்சி நடத்துவதும் இதுவே முதல் முறை!

அஜந்தா படத்தின் பாடல் வெளியீட்டு விழாவைத் தொடர்ந்து, இசைஞானி இலக்கியப் பேரவை துவக்க விழாவும், தமிழ் இலக்கியத்தில் சாதனை புரிந்த சாதனையாளர்களுக்கு பதக்கமும், பரிசும் வழங்கப்படவிருக்கிறது.

பா.நமச்சிவாயம் அவர்களுக்கு தமிழறிஞர் விருதும் இரண்டு லட்சம் ரொக்கப்பரிசும், வண்ணதாசன் அவர்களுக்கு படைப்பிலக்கிய விருதும் இரண்டு லட்ச ரொக்கப் பரிசும், சேதுபதி, பழநிபாரதி இருவருக்கும் இசைஞானி இளையராஜா விருதுடன் ஐம்பதாயிரம் ரொக்கப்பரிசும் வழங்கப்படவிருக்கிறது.

இவை தவிர, இசைஞானி இலக்கிய பெருமன்ற கெரளவ விருது என்ற பெயரில், "இளைய இசைமுரசு" டி.எஸ்.ராஜா (ராஜபர்ட்), தேனிசைத் தென்றல் எம்.ரேணுகாதேவி (ஸ்த்ரீ பார்ட்), இன்னிசை வேந்தன் எம்.யு.பிரேம்குமார் (ஆர்மோனிய பின்பாட்டு), கோடை இடிமுழுக்கம் கே.எஸ். சின்ன கோபால் (மிருதங்கம் டோலக்) ஆகிய நான்கு பேருக்கு விருதும், பத்தாயிரம் ரொக்கப்பரிசும் வழங்கப்படவிருக்கிறது.

பரிசளிப்பு விழாவைத் தொடர்ந்து அஜந்தா படத்தில் இடம்பெறும் ஒன்பது பாடல்களையும், திரைப்படத்தில் பாடிய பின்னணி பாடகர், பாடகிகளைக் கொண்டு இன்னிசை நிகழ்ச்சியாக நடத்த இருக்கிறார் இளையராஜா.

அந்த மேடையில் இளையராஜா உடன் கே.ஜே.ஜேசுதாஸ், விஜய்ஜேசுதாஸ், உன்னிகிருஷ்ணன், திப்பு, மஞ்சரி, ஸ்வேதா, பவதாரணி, மதுமிதா ஆகியோர் பாடுகிறார்கள். இந்த விழாவில் கவிஞர் வாலி, எழுத்தாளர் ஜெயகாந்தன், சினேகன், கவிஞர் முத்துலிங்கம், மு.மேத்தா, பழனிபாரதி, பா.விஜய், நா.முத்துகுமார், செந்தில்குமரன், சினேகன், கவிஞர்.பொன்னடியான், சங்கிலிமுருகன், இயக்குநர் கோகுலகிருஷ்ணா ஆகியோர் சிறப்பு விருந்தினர்களாக பங்கேற்கிறார்கள்.

விழாவுக்கான ஏற்பாடுகளை தயாரிப்பாளர் ராஜ்பா ரவிஷங்கர், இயக்குநர் கதா.க.திருமாவளவன் செய்து வருகிறார்கள்.

Sanjeevi
23rd March 2007, 05:59 PM
Interesting..... KJJ will come??

Oh i want to attend the programme but mudiyaathe? :sad:

because it will be a treat to see many personalities such as Jayakanthan, KJJ, Vaali, BR, Naa. Muthu, etc

raja_fan
23rd March 2007, 09:41 PM
It is time for KJJ to retire gracefully as his voice has gone reached its last years !
See how he struggles to sing "Kaiyethaa" in Vinodayatra..

app_engine
23rd March 2007, 10:25 PM
KJY used to be the king of lower frequencies...the bass'iest...now that's the area that suffers:-( He's still fine in higher octaves - "josh mEin" was quite impressive...He needs to be choosy now...

app_engine
23rd March 2007, 10:31 PM
Now I remember the Julie Ganapathi song...'minmini...'by KJY which is a distant cousin to 'kai yeththA'...(the Thamizh song also had awesome bass guitar work)...

app_engine
23rd March 2007, 10:44 PM
Can someone confirm who's the female singer of 'kai yeththa'...is it Manjari? Though she has done a decent job one can't help thinking how it would've been with KSC...in emoting phrases none can beat KSC IMHO...probably Manjari will reach there someday (and let's wish her that)...but as of now, it's not as much as KSC...when Raja can use a struggling KJY why not KSC?...

njv
24th March 2007, 05:48 AM
Maayakannadi - After listening many times, in car, home, ipod, alone, with friends and what not, i conclude this is the worst album by IR ever.

Vinodayatra - Bliss.

Wonder why IR does better in Malayalam/Telugu than Tamil? May be he is not getting musically knowledge directors!

K
24th March 2007, 02:17 PM
Maayakannadi - After listening many times, in car, home, ipod, alone, with friends and what not, i conclude this is the worst album by IR ever.

Vinodayatra - Bliss.

Wonder why IR does better in Malayalam/Telugu than Tamil? May be he is not getting musically knowledge directors!

this clearly shows about your love towards music, what about Ulagiley azhagi and konjam konjam these 2 numbers are sure hits if the movie runs well(depends on picturisation also)

raja_fan
24th March 2007, 02:47 PM
"Maayakannadi - After listening many times, in car, home, ipod, alone, with friends and what not, i conclude this is the worst album by IR ever. "

njv,

Nidhaanam....nidhaanam.
The album may be unsatisfactory, but is it the worst ever album ? :)

njv
24th March 2007, 07:13 PM

Vinodayatra - Bliss.

this clearly shows about your love towards music, what about Ulagiley azhagi and konjam konjam these 2 numbers are sure hits if the movie runs well(depends on picturisation also)

If you are convinced with Ulagiley Azhagi and Konjam Konjam, good for you. I am used to 70s ad 80s and early 90s of Raaja and my love towards music will not appreciate anything substandard/mediocre from raaja.

I am 100% sure that you didnt listen to this album both in original CD and in a good music system. The orchestrization that I always love in raaja music is not in this album. I know my love for music and raaja, so no point in talking about this album anymore to proove or disproove that.

abbydoss1969
24th March 2007, 08:38 PM
Can someone confirm who's the female singer of 'kai yeththa'...is it Manjari? Though she has done a decent job one can't help thinking how it would've been with KSC...in emoting phrases none can beat KSC IMHO...probably Manjari will reach there someday (and let's wish her that)...but as of now, it's not as much as KSC...when Raja can use a struggling KJY why not KSC?...

Yes, it is manjari,

http://www.forumkerala.com/post-257739.html

raja_fan
25th March 2007, 10:27 AM
On reading the posts in the forumkerala, it seems Keralites are not happy with the songs..
surprising !

btw..Sathyan Andhikad's next film is with Mohan Lal.

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2007/mar/23sld5.htm

Sanjeevi
25th March 2007, 05:28 PM
On reading the posts in the forumkerala, it seems Keralites are not happy with the songs..
surprising !

like we r treating MK songs :cool:

vigneshram
26th March 2007, 09:57 AM
http://www.nilacharal.com/enter/review/music_review_305.asp

Maayakannaadi review

Sanjeevi
26th March 2007, 10:10 AM
Ajantha audio will be released on tomorrow in madurai at medical college ground function.

Hope it will be MK part II :lol:

raja_fan
26th March 2007, 11:52 AM
Sanjeevi,

Atleast MK deserves better songs than Ajantha, which is hopeless in its star cast and stills :)

raja_fan
26th March 2007, 06:51 PM
News from opposite camp :)

Seems tussle between Shankar and ARR on the illegal release of Shivaji audio on internet !

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/movies/regional/tamil/exclusive/shankar-blames-rehman-240307.html

raja_fan
26th March 2007, 10:47 PM
Dance movements for "Mandara Poo..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DIdlhFFtgM

Kodumai ! :banghead:

you too Satyan Anthikad ? :sigh2:

Does Meera Jasmine never know simple and silent performance ?

Vkrish
27th March 2007, 12:16 AM
Mayakannadi trailor seems to be promising..having scope for BGM

http://mail.lycos.com/lycos/Index.lycos

Vkrish
27th March 2007, 12:16 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B8ALtzkj-mY&mode=related&search=

ananth222
27th March 2007, 12:27 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B8ALtzkj-mY&mode=related&search=

Thanx Krish!
The BGM bit in this teaser:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fpIMI4HKt1U&mode=related&search=
excellent! After hearing the songs I felt let down, but BGM looks very promising!

kiru
27th March 2007, 12:49 AM
surprising !

I never thought MK was crap or Vinodayathra was bliss. I feel both are extreme positions.
I dont know why njv think MK does not have IR's orchestration. ulagilE azhagi is a song in typical WCMish IR format (like enna solli paaduvathO). Has strings backing through out the charanams and the interludes have fugue like composition with indian tunes.
(BTW, listening to Shivaji, I feel this song would have suited rajnikanth better, maybe with vaali's lyrics. Dont know who is watching the old rajni sing rap lyrics).

One question: is Mandarapoo in kalyani raagam ?

irir123
27th March 2007, 05:36 AM
"Mandarapoo" and "kaiya" are vintage IR!

thumburu
28th March 2007, 04:50 PM
// Dign Eventhough the song "Kannan varum veLai" sounds the most melodious of all songs in Yuvan's "DeepavaLi", I cannot help but think it is a clever work around of IR's "KasturimaaN" song "KEKKALAIYO" . Anybody feeling the same?

raja_fan
29th March 2007, 08:11 AM
Ajantha audio released and literary awards given.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/29/stories/2007032906830200.htm

It is good to know that IR did not name the award after himself, as reported earlier.

irir123
30th March 2007, 01:57 AM
how is AJANTHA audio ??

irir123
30th March 2007, 02:07 AM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/10891.html

rajasaranam
30th March 2007, 12:07 PM
After a long long time a Raja's album is finding the no.1 spot
http://raaga.com/channels/tamil/top10.asp :)
and that happening to MK is the biggest joke :D
maybe our tamil people are happy with such songs only :wink:

MrJudge
30th March 2007, 01:46 PM

I don't care whether raja's new album reaches top 10 or zero 10. Personally I don't believe in these web ratings, they always mislead. And as long as Raja doesn't go back to his basics using live orchestra, it is very doubtful he will be taken seriously by fans like me. Haven't listened to MK yet, I don't think I have enough patience to do that :(

thumburu
30th March 2007, 03:26 PM
Mayakkannaadi - Judge may be you are fortunate. Cheran's "poraadha kaalam". He could have atleast got some decent tunes from Sabesh MuraLi. Raja's well of tunes has dried up for sure

raja_fan
30th March 2007, 03:41 PM
"He could have atleast got some decent tunes from Sabesh MuraLi."

Thumburu,

You are right out of a comic book !
or are you just 5 years old ?

singing "Ore oru oorile oru amma appa..otha pulla pethadhu yaaru..unga appaa "

Nejamaave decent tune and lyrics dhaan :clap:

raja_fan
30th March 2007, 06:40 PM
Thumburu,

Sorry for my personal remarks against you !

I was just irritated by the mention of that junky duo Sabesh-Murali here. Sorry again.

vijayr
30th March 2007, 08:09 PM
raja fan, the same album also had "unnai saran adaindhen" better than any "nursery rhyme" IR has come up with in MaayakaNNaadi

raja_fan
30th March 2007, 08:28 PM
Ok Sir ! Shall we wait for the movie to be released, please ?

rprasad
30th March 2007, 09:02 PM
Vijayr, if you think IR's tunes in Mk are nursery rhymes then i dont know what to think of your music review capabilities. Maybe you can come up with better music i guess yourself instead of commenting on IR's music. Cheran's last movie(with Sabesh Murali as MD) and his new movie are totally different themes. You cannot compare the situation for the "unnai Saran adinden" song with any in MK. Each movie and situation brings out different kinds of tunes. Majority of those who have listened to MK(again i stress majority and not all) have found MKs tunes not good or great but average and decent melodies(with dejavu feeling which is not such a bad thing in my opinion). I for one believe IR's tunes are always decent melodies even if they are of mediocre quality compared to his other works and they always sound much better compared to the other stuff being dished out today by other MD's with few exceptions like Mozhi/paruthiveeran etc. So to pass comments indicating that they are like nursery rhymes seem to be uncalled for. If you dont like them, you say you dont like them. IR i think has earned that respect with his work for so many years. He is no amateur composer whose work we can ridicule as nursery rhymes.Ofcourse there will be songs we dont like but criticism has to be respectful as well. So try to be more selective with what terms you use.

kiru
31st March 2007, 01:29 AM

Are you sure it is not the handiwork of Dr. Vijays' IR Fans yahoo group ? :-)

vijayr
31st March 2007, 02:45 AM
rprasad, my response was directed towards those like "raja fan" who commented Sabesh Murali's tunes as "nursery rhymes" earlier. Listen to Unnai saran adaindhen and see if it sounds like a rhyme. If it does, then probably MK's tunes are nursery rhymes too and MORE SO.

vijayr
31st March 2007, 02:53 AM
"Cheran's last movie(with Sabesh Murali as MD) and his new movie are totally different themes. You cannot compare the situation for the "unnai Saran adinden" song with any in MK. Each movie and situation brings out different kinds of tunes."

dont give me this crap about different situations. Cheran asked for a "love song" thats all. You can hear it in the discussion itself. Unnai saran adaindhen was a "love song" too. The films might be different, but the song situations are often the same 90% of the time in Tamil films.

rprasad
31st March 2007, 03:29 AM
Vijayr, Raja fan was not referring to that song. He had quoted some other song in the same movie. Anyway my point is that one should avoid ridiculing any song by any music director. Ofcourse MD's like IR need not be dragged down just to defend against someone. We can always make our point by indicating whether we like the song or we do not like that particular song. Comparing it with a another movie (even of the same director) and saying the other MD has given better music and saying such things like Raja's well of music has dried up is again totally uncalled for as well. Just stick to the music of that movie. IR has nothing to prove anymore and his output will not be consistently good anymore unless its by a really good director/actor or inspiring movie. Music is an art which depends on inspiration. Its not like you pay some md and he gives you great songs like purchasing some goods or writing some code to get a result. The md needs to be inspired and motivated to produce great music. IR is not at this stage with the kind of movies he is doing and the directors seem to be ok with the songs he gives instead of challenging him for better ones. Even then his melodies are always much better than 95 % of the current md's songs.

svbp007
31st March 2007, 08:05 AM
At first I was also very disappointed with MK songs...but after repeated listens...I like Ulagilae song very much. The rythm and bass arrangements in this movie are excellent....the first interlude in elae was superb. I think IRs tunes have become very soft and subtle and that is why unlike songs of before, we are not able to catch on to them easily. His music of before was very strong and vibrant...and the ones of now is very subtle. I think unless we adapt and try to understand a bit more...we will not like anything that comes from him now a days.

In any case, I miss his earlier music...but I am slowly learning to appreciate some of his recent music.

raja_fan
31st March 2007, 08:15 AM
Vijayr,

If you do not like MK songs, then tell that and I accept that there can be valid reasons for that ( like not so good orchestration, rehashes etc ).

But do not speak as though you know everything about what went on between Cheran and IR, Cheran and the 'great' Sabesh-Murali etc.

Yes, all directors have a love song in their script. You and me do not know about how Cheran delivered the whole script or situation to IR in MK. We cannot just go by the 2 mins audio conversation provided in the CD.
For the same love song situation, how IR turned up with splendid "Mandara poo" in Vinoda yatra ?

"Konjam" song in MK has bubbly cell phone conversation between lovers. I think IR has given a very well suited tune and Pa.Vijay has given appropriate lyrics.

It is really disgusting to know that any guy with good music taste can compare Sabesh-Murali with another good music director. that too with IR..Either you should be a die hard fan of Deva & brothers or you do not have good music taste.

There is no use in talking to you any more.

vijayr
31st March 2007, 11:34 AM
what is truly disgusting is that you would ridicule Sabesh-Murali or any other MD blindly, while totally ignoring the product that they have given. No one is comparing their overall composing abilities with that of IR. Just the song that they managed to give for the SAME director and for the SAME situation. Thats all. Sorry if the truth is bitter. Yet, when thavamaai thavamirundhu was released, I remember reading comments here as to how great IR would have scored for this situation or that. appo mattum comparison OK illa? Now when the same comparison is made, the likes of you would come around advising everyone that IRs songs shouldnt be compared with anyone else's and all that crap. If you are not able to appreciate a song like "unnai saran adaindhen" accept that and I will perfectly understand.

If not, save your BS for some one else :-)

raja_fan
31st March 2007, 02:42 PM
Any news on Ajanta audio ?

Hulkster
31st March 2007, 02:53 PM
Ajanta Audio is playing hide and seek..i have been searching hi and low through google and not even 1 site mentions it audio except the hindu....i guess since this is a casette release people are still taking time to move all 36 songs to CD format...or maybe the producers are waiting for the audio to be release in every language before it is brought to the stores...:?

Hulkster
31st March 2007, 02:56 PM
Vijay sir calm down pennunga...agreed mayakannadi tunes are not immortal..but Raja's expertise has been more of the music and instruments that have been made for the song rather than the actual tunes. The bass guitar and the music that raja loves to give is still there...its only the tune that is bringing the soundtrack down...for listeners like me...i give more importance to the music on display rather than the tune/lyrics...even if the tune is attractive enough...it will lose significance if the music is mediocre :D

kr
31st March 2007, 09:22 PM
Guys, if you have noticed vijayr's posting over the past years, you could have easily predicted the outburst after any new IR albums. The launch of new IR albums have been almost invitation to spew vitriol on IR and his fans in his postings. I strongly believe that it has nothing do with either the quality of IR's songs or compositions. There will be no IR album irrespective of its quality that will ever get any recognition in his postings.

However the foolishness exhibited in his postings is the anger that is exhibited at the fact that other people can still enjoy IR's music and adore him because it contradicts with his opinions.

I have tried to reply to his postings in vain that preferences among people are not homogenous. It was his posting that first dragged in Sabesh Murali in an attempt to degrade IR. Where his postings miss the point is that while his posting may genuinely refelect his opinion that sabesh murali would have scored better than IR, where his postings misses the point is that others may equally genuinely feel that such an opinion may be ridiculous.

I do not ever expect that his postings are ever going to acknowledge the postings here reflect the heterogenous preferences of people. For example, I just love Mayakannadi songs and have been playing this over and over for last week or so since I got my CD.

Let me predict what you will see from his postings as response. You will see sentences from the others postings, taken out of context, and in quotes and more of such irrational arguements.

For those who get perturbed by his postings, you have two choices - either you get converted to the thinking in his postings and agree that Sabesh Murali and every other MD now and ever composed anything and will be composing are better than IR or just ignore his postings and continue to psot your opinions.

There will be no chance of his postings ever ever acknowledging any arguements you will ever make in IR's defense. For who are going to keep trying to do this - good luck!

vijayr
31st March 2007, 09:54 PM
Typical (moronic) post from our usual suspect.

However the foolishness exhibited in his postings is the anger that is exhibited at the fact that other people can still enjoy IR's music and adore him because it contradicts with his opinions.

ROTFL!, as if everyone here thinks the album is great and Iam the lone dissenting voice. Go back and read the responses. Some of the opinions mentioned here are more critical than mine. Not just of Maayakannadi, but most of IRs new releases.

It was his posting that first dragged in Sabesh Murali in an attempt to degrade IR. Where his postings miss the point is that while his posting may genuinely refelect his opinion that sabesh murali would have scored better than IR, where his postings misses the point is that others may equally genuinely feel that such an opinion may be ridiculous.

Thats fine, opinions differ. but raja fan, instead of acknowledging the fact that I or anyonne else have the right to feel different about the song, started attacking everyone personally. Thats where the problem started. Here is a sample:

"He could have atleast got some decent tunes from Sabesh MuraLi."

Thumburu,

You are right out of a comic book !
or are you just 5 years old ?

singing "Ore oru oorile oru amma appa..otha pulla pethadhu yaaru..unga appaa "

Nejamaave decent tune and lyrics dhaan :clap:

I didnt go about ridiculing someone for their opinions. I have only responded to personal attacks.

For example, I just love Mayakannadi songs and have been playing this over and over for last week or so since I got my CD.

Yeah, its a classic. I hope you enjoy :-)