PDA

View Full Version : IR New Albums - Ver 2006

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Sanjeevi
11th May 2007, 11:20 AM
" And should he do re-work of IR's malayALam hits?"

I would just don't mind ! Rather I will be happy if he does the rework of his old magics :)

Athathan Karthikraja pannurare for cellphone world

Yes I welcome he re-arrange songs from his malayalam and other languages songs in tamil (for worhty tamil films not crap films)

SVN
11th May 2007, 12:47 PM
Here's another review: From Indian Music - An Auditory Excursion Discussions

Posted by Carla

(*) EDITED TO ADD: I mistakenly stated that *Cheeni kum* was Ilaiyaraja's first Hindi film soundtrack. I got my information from the film's official website - but after I was told that it was incorrect, I looked again, and what the website actually said was *Cheeni kum* was Ilaiyaraaja's "first major original Hindi" film soundtrack - whatever that means! He has composed for several Hindi films that were remakes of Tamil films, including *Hey Ram* and a few others.

Aakash previewed the upcoming *Cheeni kum* - a salty romance with Amitabh Bachchan and Tabu - here: http://www.jaman.com/a/group/052qzAmAAHSM/discussion/0Ie6fuScNL1k/

I have listened to the soundtrack which was released a couple of days ago. This soundtrack is the first for a Hindi film by South Indian composer Ilaiyaraja. I am sadly completely ignorant of South Indian cinema but I understand that Ilaiyaraja has composed the music for more than 850 films, and is widely revered as one of India's greatest film composers. Listening to *Cheeni kum*'s soundtrack, I can see why - and I hope that Ilaiyaraja's first Hindi film is not his last. The songs are fresh and playful, melodic and cohesive, with a sound that is both cinematic and intimate. An excellent soundtrack! I just love it - it's mellow, haunting, and lovely.

The title song is completely infectious; Shreya Ghoshal's vocals are as smooth as silk and blend smoothly into a synthesizer line that is sneaky and slightly sinister. The instrumental breaks are part jazz-pop fusion, part cinematic bombast. It's just perfect. It's hard to listen to the rest of the soundtrack because I want to back up this track and listen to it over and over again. "Sooni sooni" is a less manic take on the title song's melody, with male vocals this time by Vijay Prakash.

"Baatein hawa" has a whole lot going on besides Shreya Ghoshal's mellow vocals - a most eclectic instrumentation ranging from piano and synthesizer to saxophones and strings, and even power-chord crunching electric guitars weave in and out over a bouncing bassline that keeps the composition moving forward despite the rapid jump-shifts in rhythm and instrument. It's delightful and fun.

"Jaane do na" continues the seemingly effortless blend of cinematic themes and instrumentation with gently funky rhythms, again seasoned by Shreya Ghoshal's smooth, melodic vocals. It is evocative of the title song with its shifting tonalities - the song is for the most part upbeat and cheerful, but a carefully placed minor interval here and there gives the song the same anticipatory, sinister feel of the brilliant title track.

Finally, the instrumental theme pulls the whole soundtrack together with variations on the other melodies echoed in slow motion piano lines and crisper, percussive synthesizer sequences.

http://www.jaman.com/a/group/0G2KS8e712r8/discussion/0cV_Gddta6uU/

vigneshram
12th May 2007, 04:59 PM
Meet the 'Meow'sic Lovers...

Ever seen cats listening to Ilaiyaraja, Rahman, Yuvan's songs and their awesome expressions?

http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/05/meowsic-lovers.html

raja_fan
12th May 2007, 06:05 PM
Did any body get the CD of Cheeni Kum ?

I could not find in Bangalore. All latest hindi albums except this are there..
Pathetic marketing :(

raja_fan
12th May 2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/hindi/6732/

"...Unlike "Nishabd", the film appears fresh and interesting and the lead pair strike the right kind of chemistry."

vem
12th May 2007, 10:20 PM
Cheeni Kum --- SPB's hits (Vizhiyile, manram vantha) have been reproduced here - Isiliye, SPB's voice hee yahaan kam hai !

But, SG's voice is very sweet ! and the album just reminds the melody of IR's vintage songs.

I wish many more Hindi and Tamil MDs roped IR for their big budget movies !

The only disappoint here is that Balki has used only 3 of IR's tunes..... I wish he had used more :)

Sanjeevi
12th May 2007, 10:20 PM
Did anybody see, yesterday Jeya TV's "Violence and Modern Violence" programme against MK and his successors

"......thamizhagamae rasithu partha Isaignaniyin Anrum Inrum Enrum isai nigazhichiyai niraiya per parka villai enrum......"

against TRP ratings illegally controlled by SUN TV

Sanjeevi
12th May 2007, 10:42 PM
Saw VIJYA TV's Kofee with Anu

Wov what a wonderful show, they will continue on next saturday too (first time in KWA's history).

Full of fun made by SPB, Gangai Amaran and their sons SPB Charan, Venkat Prabhu and sweet memories with Ilaiayaraja's younger days.

Many informations were new to me.

Before IR introduction as MD in TFM 8 persons including IR, SPB, GA met with an accident while they were driving a Car. Car did some dives and fell in a stream. Luckily they did not meet with heavy injuries. IR said "naam varunkaalathula etho sathikamnu irukuda athanalathan pizhaichurukkom". As IR said, all the 8 persons, achieved a lot in their departments

GA composed for 165 films :shock:

irir123
12th May 2007, 11:03 PM
these guys are hopeless - read on:

http://ww.smashits.com/news/bollywood/music-review/6195/cheeni-kum.html

sample this:

"CHEENI KUM : Illaiyaraja's musical presentation has largely been influenced by South Indian style of music but in "Cheeni Kum", he maintains the conventional harmonic textures of Bollywood music."

HARMONIC TEXTURES OF BOLLYWOOD MUSIC ???!!! harmony and Bollywood ?? - give us a frig*ing break

"there's nothing extraordinary or chartbusting about this track"

""Cheeni Kum" comes as modest and simple musical offering from South Indian music maestro Illaiyaraja after his forgetful musical presentation in RGV's 'Shiva'."

"and it will be too much to expect anything spectacular from this sweet "n" tender album."

inetk
12th May 2007, 11:16 PM
The latest Vikatan has an interview with PC Sreeram (Cheeni Kum's cinematographer) and he says the BGM in the film is mind blowing with very rich symphony style and worth releasing as a soundtrack separately!

vem
13th May 2007, 12:42 AM
thats good to know. I will watch the film just for IR's BGM......

By the way, I tried desperately to watch the entire Shiva movie - Guys, that movie is an utter crap and it is very sad that IR had to work on such idiotic movies........

No wonder, IR didnt bother to score any BGM for atleast 1/2 of the movie :)

raja_fan
13th May 2007, 09:10 AM
"
these guys are hopeless - read on:

http://ww.smashits.com/news/bollywood/music-review/6195/cheeni-kum.html "

The reviewer is apparently a joker ! He is very much confused and though he seems to be impressed he is not completely ready to give credits to IR..

See some of his blabberings :

"Vijay Prakash' voice sounds similar to Yesudas' but fails to bind listeners. "

About the Sax melody :

"It's an average offering and also a background score in the film where the viewers can anticipate chemistry between two lovers. "

:confused2:

natha1729
13th May 2007, 11:13 AM
IR is not the king, but continues to prove that he is THE GOD of all music. Just listen to the magic he still brings in his interludes. The Cheeni Kum song' first interlude simply shatters glass and wind pipes out of all competition, past, present and future. How the heck in 20 secs or less does this brain of hims can cause tremors in my mind, only he has consistently achieved this. My next challenge to explore ramaujan' math!!!

I think that song,(amazingly sounds simple in Hindi) will turn heads all the way east west north and west of west. i foresee IR getting busy in Hindi (He shoud stop in malayalam, no strong enough melodies any more for that language.)

One thing has anyone noticed, IR has unknowingly rendered a so many superior and mind boggling variations of the James Bond theme inclduing the ones inspiring this response from me (my favorite is O Baby Baby in song' second interlude one fascinates me most.)

vigneshram
13th May 2007, 11:37 AM
As Kamal rightly said in his interview(about the producers and directors who ignore Raja) ,"These guys ought to be crushed to death in the huge crowd gathering in Ilaiyraja's statue opening ceremony in future."

raja_fan
13th May 2007, 12:14 PM
Guys,

A very upbeat review atlast !! :)

http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=051007042806

"Maestro Ilaiyaraaja demonstrates once again his versatility and his excellent commands over the arrangements, resulting in some extremely catchy melodies and ear pleasing stanzas. "

Vow !! IR finally reaching hindi audience indeed !! :2thumbsup:

btw..Do any body know about this site "planetbollywood" ? How neutral are their reviews ?

raja_fan
13th May 2007, 12:33 PM
Also see the ratings :

http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReviewIndex.php?scid=6

Cheeni Kam is at par with the best rated albums..though the number of public raters are less..

vigneshram
13th May 2007, 01:07 PM
Guys,

A very upbeat review atlast !! :)

http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=051007042806

"Maestro Ilaiyaraaja demonstrates once again his versatility and his excellent commands over the arrangements, resulting in some extremely catchy melodies and ear pleasing stanzas. "

Vow !! IR finally reaching hindi audience indeed !! :2thumbsup:

btw..Do any body know about this site "planetbollywood" ? How neutral are their reviews ?

Wow.... So happy to see this :D

SVN
13th May 2007, 05:26 PM
Another glowing review. Looks like there are some people up North who can appreciate such efforts...

http://musiqa.sulekha.com/blog/post/2007/05/cheeni-kum-music.htm

teja
13th May 2007, 11:21 PM

Reviewer writes a glowing review.
But then gives it a mere 6.5/10 rating.
Well, there goes the neutrality of the site.

raja_fan
14th May 2007, 12:35 AM
Teja,

I just checked the other reviews in the site by the same person..This guy/girl seems to be a balanced reviewer. And Cheeni kum seems to have got a good rating in fact.

Cheeni kam song featured as a "new release" in Zoom Tv's "My Desi top 20" today. Have to check next week for the place it takes..

Also I was excited to hear "Jane do na" played in one of the Bangalore FM radio today :)

Sanjeevi
14th May 2007, 12:59 PM
IndiaFM review

'Cheeni Kum' turns out to be an enjoyable album which has its moments throughout its 7 track duration. While one never expected a musical from a film which told a love story that had never been seen before, 'Cheeni Kum' manages to throw in a nice-n-little pleasant surprise

http://www.indiafm.com/movies/musicreview/12845/index.html

When one almost thought that melody couldn't become better after the 'title song' (Chenni kum), there is a surprise in store with the arrival of 'Baaten Hawa'. Shreya Ghoshal once again demonstrates that she is the best in the business when it comes to crooning a plain melodious track with a sweet-n-innocent charm

Baaten Hawa is clear winner :thumbsup:

Looks like 'Baaten Hawa' and 'Cheeni kum' is becoming super hits :).

I understand "'Jaane Do Na" will take time to grow. Even you can consider me (a HCIR fan), i did not like "Vizhiyilae" song initially but it grew on me and addicted me after a notable time.

raja_fan
14th May 2007, 01:22 PM
I can see the ratings in musicindiaonline and planetbollywood growing day by day :)

If the movie goes well, sure IR will get noticed !

Sanjeevi
15th May 2007, 01:08 AM
ஒளிப்பதிவாளரும் இயக்குனருமான பி.சி.ஸ்ரீராம் முதல் முறையாக ஒளிப்பதிவு செய்துள்ள இந்தி படம் 'சீனிகம்.' தபு, அமிதாப்பச்சன் நடித்திருக்கும் இப்படமும் கேன்ஸ் திரைப்படவிழாவில் பங்கேற்கிறது. இப்படம் இன்னும் ரிலீஸாகவில்லை. அதற்கு முன்பே பி.சி.யின் ஒளிப்பதிவு பேசப்படுகிறது கேன்ஸ் படவிழாவின் பி.சி.யின் 'சீனிகம்' ஒளிப்பதிவு பெரிய அளவில் பாராட்டு பெறும் என பாலிவுட்டில் உள்ளவர்கள் எதிர்பார்க்கின்றனர்.

http://tamil.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/14052007-4.shtml

app_engine
15th May 2007, 01:51 AM
http://www.businessofcinema.com/?file=story&id=3466

Unbiased review from a pro-IR person...

crajkumar_be
15th May 2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.businessofcinema.com/?file=story&id=3466

Unbiased review from a pro-IR person...
Sanjay Ram :hammer:

ivana yellam yaar "review" ezhuda vittadhu???

Like he just returned from Pluto, he thinks he has DISCOVERED that 3 songs are "inspired" from Tamil/Kannada songs :lol:

Call it coincidence if you will, but Jaane Do Na, by Ghosal is yet again similar to a Kannada song ' Jotheyali jothe jotheyal'

Dei, inspired illa da, its the same song! :banghead:

The soundtrack of Cheeni Kum features two instrumental tracks called the Veg Melody and Non Veg Melody

???

raja_fan
15th May 2007, 11:24 AM
crajkumar_be,

:lol:

Paavam, vidunga !
He may not be aware of the background info about the movie, director etc as we do..

btw.., all the hyped movies like "Metro", "Good Boy Bad Boy" etc have all been declared as flop in BO.

So now Cheeni Kum is waiting for its test next week..

thilak4life
15th May 2007, 11:29 AM
Cheeni kum's official website says:

Ilayaraja is probably the greatest composer India has ever had! :clap:

He wanted to work only because he liked the script. (and I guess Balki's dream to work with Meastro)

Could anyone post a transcript of what PC sir said about Maestro's work in Cheeni kum, I think it was Vikatan. Thanks in advance :)

raajarasigan
15th May 2007, 11:54 AM

Could anyone post a transcript of what PC sir said about Maestro's work in Cheeni kum, I think it was Vikatan. Thanks in advance :)

" Isai Ilaiyaraaja. Padathoda BGM'yae oru thani Albuma podalam. Oru Kutti Symphony Maadhiri irukkum :D . Ilaiyaraaja appadi izhaichirukkar.. "

For those who don't know Tamil,

" Music by Ilaiyaraaja, BGM itself could be a separate album. It will be a Mini-Symphony. Ilaiyaraaja has crafted like that... "

thilak4life
15th May 2007, 01:48 PM

" Isai Ilaiyaraaja. Padathoda BGM'yae oru thani Albuma podalam. Oru Kutti Symphony Maadhiri irukkum :D . Ilaiyaraaja appadi izhaichirukkar.. "

For those who don't know Tamil,

" Music by Ilaiyaraaja, BGM itself could be a separate album. It will be a Mini-Symphony. Ilaiyaraaja has crafted like that... "

PC sir knows whose music can create life out of visuals. I can't wait to watch it for these two greats: MAestro and PC! :notworthy:

inetk
15th May 2007, 02:04 PM
Aah, finally, the quintessential rediff review. Decide how you want to rip this apart!

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2007/may/15cheeni.htm

Hulkster
15th May 2007, 02:08 PM
Aah, finally, the quintessential rediff review. Decide how you want to rip this apart!

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2007/may/15cheeni.htm

No use ripping them apart....either they have not heard of the term orchestration or they are just plain ignorant :lol2:

vanavil
15th May 2007, 02:25 PM
I wanted to write a flithy reply to Sonia, who has done the review in rediff, but finally ended up writing a more diluted version. Who the hell are these guys to comment on such a wonderful master piece. What pisses me off is the fact that these idiots who are completely void of any music knowledge, passing judegements on musical genius like IR. God save the world. Somebody please ban rediff, please

Sanjeevi
15th May 2007, 02:58 PM
the last two are melodies without lyrics, and have been curiously named Veg and Non-Veg melodies

Enna Kodumai Sir Idhu :banghead:

Sonthamaga review panna mattangala :lol:

MumbaiRamki
15th May 2007, 03:12 PM
I think the rediff review is correct ..

"Of the other five, two songs have been repeated with minor variations. So you can imagine how repetitive this album sounds."

She has said that songs are nice but as an album ,one may not buy it as the number of songs are less - Fair enough !

Sanjeevi
15th May 2007, 03:17 PM
'Baaten Hawa' has Amitabh dialogs and this song only will come in the movie. I guess Balki wanted to give the entire song without Amitabh disturbance (but hindiwalas is telling the dialog is interesting part, hmmm i don't know hindi) and hence the same song comes again

Sanjeevi
15th May 2007, 03:18 PM
Regarding "Cheeni Kum" and "Sooni Sooni" song

Though it has same tune, i would say they are two differenet songs because different music (rthym, ludes, etc), different modulation, different mood

littlemaster1982
15th May 2007, 05:56 PM
For the first time, I was happy to read the replies for a rediff review in their discussion board.

I guess she wanted Himesh Reshamaiyya to sing two songs instead of Shreya Ghoshal. Never read such an idiotic review. :banghead: :banghead:

kj
15th May 2007, 07:06 PM
Sonia in the rediff review wrote:
"The former is soothing to the ear and has an 'operatic' feel while the latter has got jazz influences with an interesting play of instruments, predominantly the trumpet."

OPERATIC..?????????Im sure you meant symphonic! right?
TRUMPET???????????? Oh You mean Saxophone madam?

This itself speaks volumes about Sonia's musical knowledge. Rediff is such a useless website

rooky
15th May 2007, 07:35 PM
The best thing and the positive thing about that review are the feedbacks for the same :)

Good to see those feedbacks

teja
15th May 2007, 08:38 PM
Yet another positive review
http://indiafm.com/movies/musicreview/12845/index.html

raja_fan
15th May 2007, 09:01 PM
Rediff :
"Cheeni Kum : Not Ilaiyaraja's best"

Who said it was his best ? Or who asked whether it is his best ? or how many movies of IR do you know to judge which is the best and which is the worst ?

Last time it was "Mayakkannadi : Not Ilaiyaraja's best"

I think these guys have the head line ready
"-------- : Not Ilaiyaraja's best " . Then they fill up the movie name as soon as it is released.

Shameless people bitten by prejudice !

crvenky
15th May 2007, 10:05 PM
I have seen atleast 2 reviews with Sax melody and Theme melody mentioned as being named Non veg & Veg melody. Is it so named in the CDs marketed in North India? If so, it would be worse than Sonia's review :(

raja_fan
15th May 2007, 10:49 PM
crvenky,

That could be Balki's idea to name it in restaurant style..He has already done it in the promo "1 tbsp Sugar", "two grams bitterness" etc etc..

irir123
16th May 2007, 12:03 AM
one thing is sure - Balki is one hell of an admaker! whether the movie turns out to be a success or a dud, his promos are typical advt style! perhaps thats what is needed!

teja
16th May 2007, 12:40 AM
Rediff/Sonia's review of Cheeni Kum is just like a blind man's description of an elephant.

nickraman
16th May 2007, 02:13 AM
'Baaten Hawa' has Amitabh dialogs and this song only will come in the movie. I guess Balki wanted to give the entire song without Amitabh disturbance (but hindiwalas is telling the dialog is interesting part, hmmm i don't know hindi) and hence the same song comes again

Bachchan's dialogues talk about how to impress a woman with orchestra, band, hot clothes, etc.

And Rediff is full of bullshit anyways. Give them another celeb wed/affair and they'll dedicate a column for their nonsense.

But for the most part, they are right on some stuff (i.e absurdity of indian cinema, giraftaar.)

teja
16th May 2007, 06:21 AM
This is how a music review should be...
http://in.movies.yahoo.com/070514/128/6frgu.html
Fabulous write up!

raja_fan
16th May 2007, 05:26 PM
Responses to rediff review :

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/may/15cheeni.htm

This is what we call "Dharma adi" in tamil :)
All are welcome !

Hulkster
16th May 2007, 05:29 PM
Most of the people there dunt know that cheeni kum's revisited songs were requested by the director....:?

raja_fan
16th May 2007, 05:44 PM
Hulkster,

They may not be "Vetti pasanga" like us who track IR very closely :)

Sanjeevi
16th May 2007, 06:23 PM

All are welcome !

hahaha :rotfl:

75 responses within short period :shock:

reviewer can't forget these reply messages

littlemaster1982
16th May 2007, 06:43 PM

All are welcome !

Among all "Dharma adi"-s found this one interesting.

I am a professional keyboard player and also know music theory and little bit of composition - take it from me - even the worst of Ilayaraja's albums/tracks will have something interesting from a musical point of view! his arrangements, placement of chords, use of points/counterpoints, are immaculate and flawless! while learning music, I (like many others in my walk of life) looked upto this man's scores as a benchmark for learning! my guitar teacher was simply blown away when my southie friends used to play some of his tracks - i vaguely recall one piece from a Kamal Hassan starrer which has an astounding bass line plus chord progression in the second interlude!

guys, music sans language - go get yourself Cheeni kum only for the interludes and the orchestral wonder

rajasaranam
16th May 2007, 07:00 PM
Thats a riot there @ rediff folks :lol:

Yeah sure we do know this is not Raaja's best but its the best in recent times for an hindi album :P
And what kind of boring lady sonia is!!! commenting upon using the same singer for all songs and telling that the album is repetitive :roll:
and we do know that right! just listen to 3 songs and 2 theme music it makes 5 completely different tracks wat more to ask from an album i dont understand. :?

raja_fan
16th May 2007, 08:19 PM
I found this one too interesting !

What a stupid review!
by leeza george on May 16, 2007 11:53 AM | Hide replies

Am no music expert n i did not even know cheeni kum music is by Ilayaraja. but i have been listening to the promos in the tv for last couple of days n i thought it sounds so refreshing n different n easy on ears unlike those unbearable nasal deliveries by this baseball cap monkey thrust on you every time u switch to a music channel. even my two yr old comes running to listen to cheeni kum promos!
after reading your stupid review and the tremendous negative responses to it from the message board i've decided to go n get a cd of cheeni kum.
thank u rediff!

Even 2 year kid appreciates Cheeni kum..

app_engine
16th May 2007, 08:23 PM
Rediff கெடக்கட்டும் விடுங்கப்பா...இதப்பாருங்க...

http://www.indiaenews.com/bollywood/20070516/51959.htm

The source is some music shop in Delhi...some recognition up north...

raja_fan
16th May 2007, 08:31 PM
Vow !! Thanks app_engine, keep posting the updates :)

Also see the latest ratings in planetbollywood !

Cheeni Kum far ahead !!

selvakumar
16th May 2007, 09:12 PM
That rediff reviews is :banghead: :banghead:

People like HR are singing for many songs with the same voice and they won't point that one out ! :banghead:

Here (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1018081#1018081) is my review

The beauty of this album is : Even though Shreya had sung many songs, it is cool and unique !!

raja_fan
16th May 2007, 10:00 PM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/2243/

The same top ten list, but now in musicindiaonline !

ananth222
16th May 2007, 10:38 PM
an interesting response to the rediff review:

Hmm - Pandoras box..
by Karl Emmanuel on May 16, 2007 09:50 PM | Hide replies

it is reallt weird that rediff is resorting to such cheap tactics for publicity!

having read the review and the comments from the readers, I actually went ahead and listened to the album! with an open mind - surprise, surprise, it is completely different from any other stuff i have listened to, so far in Bollywood!

curious to know further, I dug up some info on the composer to learn more - and I was taken aback at the kind of adulation this guy commands not just from people/mass, but from great artistes like classical singers/ musicians/even western classical music conductors like John Scott! surely there must be something about his music, that is beyond north-south distinctions!

I went ahead and read some of this guy's interviews: on one hand, he is very cryptic in his answers, on the other hand, his passion and knowledge of music seem to be pretty deep - he is from the south, but knows indepth about every other composer and their composing styles in India past and present!

i happened to listen to some of his tracks in his website www.raaja.com - and voila! it is mind-blowing - perhaps, had I been born and brought up in the south, I would be as passionate as most of those who have posted in this discussion, but guys, surely someone who composes "surmai" (SADMA) must be something special.

whatever be the case, in the world of money-making media manipulation, Rediff has ensured that it continues to get a substantial no of hits to its website everyday - so maybe this review was deliberate to provoke these kinds of responses from readers! we may never know

It almost looks like a crafty IR fan posing... still, IR is finally reaching out to the north.

p
17th May 2007, 05:16 AM
http://desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2007/05/15/music-review-cheeni-kum/

Sanjeevi
17th May 2007, 08:49 AM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/ut/s/hindi_bollywood/100/

Hidiwalas most requested songs :cool:

krish244
17th May 2007, 11:27 AM
Another positive review:

http://www.kalingatimes.com/orissa_entertainment/news/20070517_Cheeni_Kum.htm

and the same write up (ditto) in Andhracafe website too:

http://www.andhracafe.com/index.php?m=show&id=23009

thanks,

Krishnan

itsmuls
17th May 2007, 11:39 AM
Cheeni Kum is Rocking !!!

Almost in every FM radio here at NCR, "Cheeni Kum Hain" song is repetitive for the past severl days......

It seems Balki is marketing the Film very well...... Keep it up.

crvenky
17th May 2007, 12:00 PM
Baradwaj Rangan's CK review is the best I have read so far.

raja_fan
17th May 2007, 12:27 PM
itsmuls,

What is NCR ?

Sanjeevi
17th May 2007, 12:54 PM
itsmuls,

What is NCR ?

National Capital Region (Delhi metropolitan)

Sanjeevi
17th May 2007, 01:22 PM
Another superb review

http://www.bollywoodvillage.com/music-review-cheeni-kum-hindi-movie.asp

one of the best light composed soundtracks of this year so far :bluejump:

raja_fan
17th May 2007, 01:28 PM
Sanjeevi,

Thanks.

itsmuls,

then you are the right person to update us how Cheeni Kum goes with the northies.. Otherwise we have to just rely on the reviews on the net..

Atleast in Bangalore, I could hear "Jane do naa" few times in FM..may be due to jotheyali fame ? I don't know.. :)

raja_fan
17th May 2007, 01:29 PM
Sanjeevi,

That review is a ditto of earlier one in planetbollywood.

Sanjeevi
17th May 2007, 01:33 PM
Sanjeevi,

That review is a ditto of earlier one in planetbollywood.

Oh yes :)

but see the rating in bollywoodvillage, they have given 5 stars

Hulkster
17th May 2007, 02:14 PM
I think i can put forward this theory that the forced songs of himesh reshammiya and anu malik has led the door open to our IR to conquer HFM along with ARR....and that should be good news as IR has been stating he wants to experiment in HFM alot. :D

realactivex
17th May 2007, 04:17 PM
I am yet to decide which of the following i like from cheeni kum:
1. The amazing album itself
2. The recognition from the hindi land for the maestro's work ( does it really matter for the leader?)
3. Ripping off the rediff reviewer. ( have never tasted so much of sadistic pleasure. well she deserves it. I hope she stops writing reviews henceforth)
All said, i am still sad as to why the superb "Dheemi Dheemi" failed to spark the northies. I really wish, the maestro knows how much we love his music.

realactivex
17th May 2007, 04:22 PM
There is another telugu song which i want the Maestro to reintroduce to the north.. The Neemeeda naaku idammo song from Rakhsasudu ( 1987?). It has amazing rock guitar, trademark flute and lots of tribal beats. - A song which was way way ahead of its times.

Nakeeran
17th May 2007, 06:47 PM
I think i can put forward this theory that the forced songs of himesh reshammiya and anu malik has led the door open to our IR to conquer HFM along with ARR....and that should be good news as IR has been stating he wants to experiment in HFM alot. :D

If he wants to experiment, why he is re using the old tunes ?

For Cheenikum, he has remixed Viziyile maniviziyin mounamozi ( 100vadhu naal ).

Are we going to see this kind of a stuff only from now on ? :cry:

raajarasigan
17th May 2007, 07:26 PM

If he wants to experiment, why he is re using the old tunes ?

For Cheenikum, he has remixed Viziyile maniviziyin mounamozi ( 100vadhu naal ).

Are we going to see this kind of a stuff only from now on ? :cry:

Everyone here knows that he has remixed Viziyile maniviziyin mounamozi (this itself from the movie 'Geetha' ... i.e. kannada song is the original version)..

But it's absolutely director's wish to have these songs remixed in Cheeni Kum..

Follow this link...

http://www.mid-day.com/news/city/2006/july/140645.htm

app_engine
17th May 2007, 08:01 PM
Nakkeeran, IR did a fabulous original "dheemi-dheemi" in Shiva 2006 and it went unnoticed up north (not our loss, I enjoy it every now and then)...After all one has to be commercially viable first to get a foothold...from that angle, his bending to Balki's demands is a clever decision.

Even in CK, those two instrumentals are very delightful (though variations of mandRam vandha and en iniya pon nilAvE)!

Personally, I would like to have pure instrumental expressions for at least 1000 IR classics...

Nakeeran
17th May 2007, 08:16 PM
App Engine sir & Rajarasigan

I also jumped with joy when I first listened to Dheemi dheemi ! that class of IR prevailing in toto.

My point is , is there a vacuum in his creative thinking to come out with a new tune . Agreed, for northies, the old Raja tunes may sound new but is this what we expect from him as fans ?
I too liked the rehash of Viziyile in hindi but it also equally makes me uncomfortable when we realize that its an oldie of IR .
Here , in Mumbai, the manner in which the movie is being promoted on stars Amitabh etc, the focus is not that much given to IR . Sad. Probably, if it had been ARR or HImesh , they will be blowing a heavy trumphet .
Same happened with Shiva album also ( not much promo on music )

raja_fan
17th May 2007, 08:17 PM
I think now we are all convinced that Cheeni Kum has reached the Hindi belt.

Thanks a lot to the man called Balki for making it possible. Sadly, when Maniratnam was just entering the Hindi scene he parted ways with IR..Otherwise this would have happened long ago..but better late than never !

Now what next ?

1. Will this success turn at least few hindi film makers towards IR ?

I am doubtful on this...

2. If so, should IR be too choosy ?

In my opinion, no. Time is less, just grab anything..

3. Should he continue remix of few of his well chosen southern hits in every album ?

In my opinion, yes. Along with his original attempts like "Dheemi..", he should introduce hindi people to the bliss that the southies have been enjoying for years !

Please share your views :)

venkiks
17th May 2007, 08:21 PM
I liked the Cheeni Kum songs very much even though the originals are a class of its own. The northees getting lucky because Raaja wants to expirement in Hindi. Yaan Petra Inbam Peruga IvViyagam. I am so happy to see Raaja's songs reaching even more people.

He is one man who just does what he feels is true. The outcome of that? Some good music for all of us to cherish. He inspires so many of us.

-Venki

irir123
17th May 2007, 11:16 PM
IMHO, having understood IR's overall approach, I dont think he did Cheeni Kum, coz it was a chance for him to get recognition in bollywood! he did it for sheer fun and an oppurtunity to play around with his earlier tunes - thats how I see it - had he wanted to make a break, he can still do it by simply working on a private album with Asha Bhosle-Shreya Goshal-Sunidhi Chauhan-Sonu Nigam etc along with Remo to make some funny sounds - thats not what IR desires - and his major interests is at this point of time leaning towards creative classical stuff like TiS, Messiah etc

irir123
18th May 2007, 03:58 AM
http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=14861
another v.v.positive review!!

Hulkster
18th May 2007, 06:40 AM
My point is , is there a vacuum in his creative thinking to come out with a new tune . Agreed, for northies, the old Raja tunes may sound new but is this what we expect from him as fans ?
I too liked the rehash of Viziyile in hindi but it also equally makes me uncomfortable when we realize that its an oldie of IR .
)

Nakeeran sir...neenga marupadiyum padinga...he was requested to remix his old tunes by both RGV and Balki...he had originally wanted to create fresh tunes but balki and RGV were insistent on having the old tunes....nalla padichikittu comments kodunga sir :D

raja_fan
18th May 2007, 08:04 AM
irir123,

Again that review is the ditto of the earlier review in kalingaexpress..:)

I think authors write reviews and sell it to multiple sites.

ananth222
18th May 2007, 08:08 AM
[quote=Nakeeran]
Nakeeran sir...neenga marupadiyum padinga...he was requested to remix his old tunes by both RGV and Balki...he had originally wanted to create fresh tunes but balki and RGV were insistent on having the old tunes....nalla padichikittu comments kodunga sir :D
the possible problem here is that if these albums succeed, and IR gets more chances, then the other directors may all want him to rework his old classics.
However, I personally don't mind that. IR has produced thousands of wonderful melodies, why this gaga over "new melodies"? His re-orchestrations have made these songs good as new. "mandram vantha", "cheeni kum" and "sooni sooni" are sufficiently different to be appreciated as three completely different songs.
With HTNI and NBW, IR redefined "fusion". He is now redefining "remix". On a side note, a real experiment would be if he took a hindi classic (like "chura liya" or "yeh mera dil") and re-orchestrated it - then the hindi folks would realize his mastery over music.

Hulkster
18th May 2007, 08:14 AM
I would be interested to see that..but it also depends on how open the audience are to seeing old hindi classics remixed.

Others remix by adding some techno and classy sounds and add the original pieces here and there as a side track but our thalaivar has reorchestrated,rearranged and still proven that a tune can be made enjoyable in any trend with the proper orchestration :clap:

Any news about his other movies like suryan of malayalam and jai mookamba which is in the pipeline way before anumanaspadam?

k_vanan
18th May 2007, 09:03 AM
here the sify review

http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14451705

irir123
18th May 2007, 09:23 AM
i feel the following would be ideal for redoing in Hindi by IR:

1. "Kannan vandhu" from rettai val kuruvi - what amazing real percussion work! with some reworking of the charanam and some synth embellishments in the interludes will be terrific

2."yaarkku yaar yendru" from Ajantha - this song has a Hindi song feel - Udit Narayan rendering it for an Amir Khan or Shar Rukh will be perfect and mite even become popular

teja
18th May 2007, 11:52 AM
a bunch of Cheeni Kum promos:
http://www.indiafm.com/scripts/broadband_search.php?search_opt=v&bbterm=Cheeni+Kum

ananth222
18th May 2007, 01:32 PM
a bunch of Cheeni Kum promos:
http://www.indiafm.com/scripts/broadband_search.php?search_opt=v&bbterm=Cheeni+Kum

thanks! nice to hear this from Balki: "I was convinced that if anybody is doing the music for this film, it would be Ilaiyaraaja. If he says no, there will be no music in the film."

raja_fan
18th May 2007, 01:52 PM
Balki oru vaasagam sonnaalum thiruvasagamaa sollittaar :)

Now we are sure that IR will be the MD for all subsequent projects of Balki.

raja_fan
18th May 2007, 01:55 PM
Next project of Balki !

http://www.indiafm.com/news/2007/04/30/9333/index.html

raja_fan
18th May 2007, 02:24 PM
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/catalyst/2007/05/17/stories/2007051700140300.htm

"Sometime in the future, Balki also hopes to work with his other favourite actor, Kamal Hassan, whose Moondram Pirai (Sadma in Hindi) he has watched 22 times. "

Sanjeevi
18th May 2007, 02:28 PM
http://www.indiafm.com/music/

All India Music chart, Cheeni kum at 8.

Hope it will climp up

Hulkster
18th May 2007, 03:40 PM
Aap Ka Suroor 2nd? Enna kodumei sir ithu...unnuma ivarodeiya paathu keikuraanga? :cry:

selvakumar
18th May 2007, 04:23 PM
Aap Ka Suroor 2nd? Enna kodumei sir ithu...unnuma ivarodeiya paathu keikuraanga? :cry:

/ dig
Trust me. This song is quite popular and It would be hard to find a day in which Bangalore FMs don't play this song ! But antha voice irukkae :sigh2:
/ dig

raja_fan
18th May 2007, 04:25 PM
Hulkster,

That was last week status ! Adhu pona vaaram :)

Yesterday I was watching MTV. They were displaying some funny writeups when Himesh's song was played in the background.

One of the comment was
"If only Himesh could stop wailing like this , we can enjoy the music better " :)

Hulkster
18th May 2007, 04:28 PM

/ dig
Trust me. This song is quite popular and It would be hard to find a day in which Bangalore FMs don't play this song ! But antha voice irukkae :sigh2:
/ dig

Ellei pa ithu album standings....the song is good but the whole album :cry:

Sanjeevi
18th May 2007, 04:37 PM
Hi don't worry, actually, the week ended May 11th contained only 5 or 4 days sales figure of Cheeni kum, (only my guess)

vigneshram
19th May 2007, 10:18 AM
Who's the best? Raja or Rahman?
http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/05/whos-best-raja-or-rahman.html

MrJudge
19th May 2007, 12:37 PM
Listened to couple of tracks from Cheeni kum. Even after years, the tunes are so good to listen. His orchestration is still at infancy stage, I think IR still has got no clue about synths / new sounds. If only he realises the power of live orchestra and opts for it, he can be at the driver's seat again and dictate terms in film industry. hmmm............

ananth222
19th May 2007, 01:10 PM
If only he realises the power of live orchestra and opts for it, he can be at the driver's seat again and dictate terms in film industry. hmmm............
yea I'm sure IR doesn't know the power of live orchestra. how can anyone expect IR to know how to imagine and compose music for 100 strings? really we are all stupid to think that IR knows anything about live ochestra. :shock:

MrJudge
19th May 2007, 01:42 PM
yea I'm sure IR doesn't know the power of live orchestra. how can anyone expect IR to know how to imagine and compose music for 100 strings? really we are all stupid to think that IR knows anything about live ochestra. :shock:

My point is if he can adapt synthesizers well for his composing style, then no problem using them album after album. But his recent albums falling flat is a proof that he is stuck with them that don't complement his composing style. He has to go back to his roots where he is at his best, I think he hasn't realised this. If he already knows / realises what is going wrong and not correcting it is not a good sign IMO.

ananth222
19th May 2007, 02:12 PM
ok man if you think orchestation in cheeni kum is "flat", then you are a musical genius and we are all low worms. IR's orchestration in cheeni kum is itself good enuf for us.

but personally I think some people just can't stand cheeni kum's success.

raja_fan
19th May 2007, 04:03 PM
Amitabh in Cannes to promote Cheeni Kum.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/009200705171651.htm

Hulkster
19th May 2007, 05:36 PM
Listened to couple of tracks from Cheeni kum. Even after years, the tunes are so good to listen. His orchestration is still at infancy stage, I think IR still has got no clue about synths / new sounds. If only he realises the power of live orchestra and opts for it, he can be at the driver's seat again and dictate terms in film industry. hmmm............

Haiyo...orchestration is different instrumentation is different...IR's orchestration is always perfect..its the way of how you arrange your notes for the instruments and compliment the tune...if you see baatein hawa's first itnerlude you can see that the way the violins are orchestrated that IR has not lost it...in fact he can never lose it as orchestration is IR's most powerful subject.

What your talking about is instrumentation...i agree that the synth sounds dunt sound so good..but its not that IR loves synths...he wants to use live orchestra and has commented once that for all the tax he pays the government does not provide him with a orchestra...that is why he is sticking with synth sounds for now...you cant expect him to do every movie with budapest orchestra can you...?...can understand your fustration..but its IR fustration as well :D

Hulkster
19th May 2007, 05:38 PM
Ananth sir tension agathenge...avar IR fan thaan...anaal avarakku synth sounds pidikaathunaal appadi sollitaar....kobathey vidunga..cheeni kum enjoy pennunga :D

rajasaranam
19th May 2007, 06:37 PM

Listen to :
ithu oru kanaakaalam
vikram
my dear marthandan
thathom thalaangu
Om namaha
Oh butterfly
You will know that he was way ahead of everybody else in understanding synths/new sounds. It is now us who are not able to adjust to his synths/new sounds having feasted upon his live orchestra feel. Iam still sure IR's understanding of synth/ new sounds is way ahead of other MD's, whose synth'N'sounds are too jarring, and we are not yet able to grasp it.
Mayaakannadi is a case example where i rejected at the first listen and later when i revisited those songs it was cool'n'trendy except for the tunes which resembled his earlier songs. iam addicted to ulagile azhagi and konjam konjam these days.

raja_fan
19th May 2007, 06:38 PM
L.Vaidyanadhan ( MD of "Ezhavadhu Manidhan", "Malgudi days" etc ) passed away today !

Actress Jyothi ( Pudhu Kavidhai, Rayil Payanangalil ) passed away yesterday !

May their souls rest in peace :(

nickraman
20th May 2007, 06:54 AM
http://www.indiafm.com/music/

All India Music chart, Cheeni kum at 8.

Hope it will climp up

Same here dude. Problem is that it's pitted against Jhoom Barbar Jhoom (Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy), who have given back-to-back hits since their debut days (Dil Chatha Hai).

Damn you Shaad Ali!

raja_fan
20th May 2007, 09:55 AM
Another positive review

http://www.moviewalah.com/review/2007/05/18/music-review-cheeni-kum

rooky
20th May 2007, 12:26 PM
Where do i get "Cheeni kam" ringtones.

raja_fan
20th May 2007, 09:36 PM
"Jane do na" ended up as just No.10 in this week's My Desi Top 20 on Zoom TV !

"Maiyya Maiyya" from Guru was No.4

velaikke aagaadhu :(

vigneshram
21st May 2007, 12:01 AM

Cheeni kum la "Mallika Sherawat" oda Belly dance illaiye, adhaan 10th place

crajkumar_be
21st May 2007, 05:38 AM

Sadly, "Jane Do Na" (The song of the album IMO), is the least favorite in almost all the N.I review i've read. Its just too *good* for them i guess. As long as the tune is not 'simple', it doesn't matter to them. They don't understand or look for interludes, orchestration etc...

realactivex
21st May 2007, 08:49 AM
Bangalore FM is playing a lot of Cheeni kum these days. ( I am yet to see a request to the RJ's, but seemingly the RJ's have taken a liking to these songs)
Kannadigas relate to the Jaanedona song as they have heard the tune earlier as 'Jotheyali"

MrJudge
21st May 2007, 10:18 AM
ok man if you think orchestation in cheeni kum is "flat", then you are a musical genius and we are all low worms. IR's orchestration in cheeni kum is itself good enuf for us.

but personally I think some people just can't stand cheeni kum's success.

I said his recent albums not just CK. Do we have to be geniuses to make any statement/opinion about movies/songs? If yes, then they should release them with a tagline "meant for geniuses only".

MrJudge
21st May 2007, 10:27 AM
Haiyo...orchestration is different instrumentation is different...

What your talking about is instrumentation...i agree that the synth sounds dunt sound so good..but its not that IR loves synths...he wants to use live orchestra and has commented once that for all the tax he pays the government does not provide him with a orchestra...that is why he is sticking with synth sounds for now...you cant expect him to do every movie with budapest orchestra can you...?...can understand your fustration..but its IR fustration as well :D

I know the difference. But your instrument/sound choices will make your orchestration either cool or bad. IMO, IR's choices sound bad nowadays. After listening to his 80s compositions, I can't be satisfied with his current output. IR made that statement when he was at his peak (in 1990??) and I didn't/don't buy that. In 80s, did he use Budapest orchestra for all his live orchestra compositions?

MrJudge
21st May 2007, 10:33 AM
Listen to :
ithu oru kanaakaalam
vikram
my dear marthandan
thathom thalaangu
Om namaha
Oh butterfly
You will know that he was way ahead of everybody else in understanding synths/new sounds. It is now us who are not able to adjust to his synths/new sounds having feasted upon his live orchestra feel. Iam still sure IR's understanding of synth/ new sounds is way ahead of other MD's, whose synth'N'sounds are too jarring, and we are not yet able to grasp it.

IR was way ahead in using cool sounds before synths invaded the scene. He needs to balance between acoustic with syths instead of going for synths alone. Just imagine ennai thalatta varuvalo with acoustic drums accompaniment, it would have taken the song even higher.

Anyway I just want to end the digression here, enjoy the CK songs guys.

crajkumar_be
21st May 2007, 11:24 AM
Just imagine ennai thalatta varuvalo with acoustic drums accompaniment, it would have taken the song even higher.

Actually i completely agree with Judge here.
Not just with "Ennai thalatta varuvalo", there have been quite a few songs like that in recent times. Percussion is the first main culprit. Acoustim drums kuda vendam, aana synth-liye the rhythm could sound much better...

rooky
21st May 2007, 04:21 PM
Are these two projects lined up for IR?

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/31239.html

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/31245.html

krish244
21st May 2007, 07:05 PM
A short but positive review on CNN-IBN:

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/tune-into-sweet-sounds-of-cheeni-kum/40971-8.html

The reviewer is not aware that IR has done many original hindi films before and also that the tunes in cheeni kum are reworked from IR's classics rather than being original.

But, in a way, I am happy because he has not listened to the originals and still liked these.

BTW, how many direct hindi films IR has scored music for? AFAIK, its Kaamagni, lajja, shiva 2006...is that all? I am excluding multi-lingual films (even dubbed) like hey-ram, MX, etc.

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
21st May 2007, 08:05 PM
Krish244,

Thanks.

Also see the live news video !

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/40971/tune-into-sweet-sounds-of-cheeni-kum.html

This is really encouraging :)
I will be trying to catch hold of this news item on CNN-IBN today !

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2007, 12:54 AM
Nice review from a blogger

what I liked is

he doesn't know original songs
he even doesn't know much about Ilaiyaraja (atleast his South Indian scores)
he didn't give a biased review because he is neither IR fan nor IR hater

Sooni Sooni - Vijay Prakash

Begins like the male version of the title track, Sooni Sooni soon makes its own identity. One of the best songs of the album, I have been hearing it again and again*. ..... Very impressive! And also this song has that R D Burman touch**. Ilaiyaraaja makes somewhat similar usage of instrument here. Can't wait to watch this on screen.

Jaane Do Na - Shreya Ghoshal
This is the only song in the album which did not impress me much***

Theme Melody and Saxophone Melody

Towards the end of the album there are two instrumental numbers. First, Theme Melody .....sound similar to "Look Chhup Look Chhup Jaao Na..." from Amitabh's Do Anjaane****. Hear both and tell me if I am the only one who thinks that.

* Exactly my thoughts
** Is it?
*** I agree, it require some repeated listenings, after, it will addict
**** :rotfl2:

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2007, 01:03 AM
Another nice review http://www.radiosargam.com/films/archives/3995/music-review-cheeni-kum-2007.html

Looks like Baatein Hawa song is appealing more than others

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2007, 01:10 AM
Then :)

http://www.naachgaana.com/2007/05/17/cheeni-kum-baradwajs-music-review/

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2007, 01:15 AM
http://www.allbollywood.com/index.cfm?page=pollResults

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2007, 01:20 AM
http://www.indiafm.com/features/2007/05/19/2658/index.html

Cheeni kum at 7

raja_fan
22nd May 2007, 08:35 AM
I have never felt this, till yesterday when I was hearing "Sooni Sooni"..

Just do this..
Sing yourself the ending of "Mandram vandha.." Charanam - "Sondhangale illaamal...poove un vaazhkkai thaan enna SOLL"

And the ending of "Kaadhal rojaave.." pallavi -
"Ennaaanadho Edhaanadho soll SOLL"

Don't you see a striking similarity ? :)

Surely Maniratnam would have referred Mandram vandha to Rahman for a similar tune for a similar situation of the separation between the married couple..

vigneshram
22nd May 2007, 09:58 AM
I have never felt this, till yesterday when I was hearing "Sooni Sooni"..

Just do this..
Sing yourself the ending of "Mandram vandha.." Charanam - "Sondhangale illaamal...poove un vaazhkkai thaan enna SOLL"

And the ending of "Kaadhal rojaave.." pallavi -
"Ennaaanadho Edhaanadho soll SOLL"

Don't you see a striking similarity ? :)

Surely Maniratnam would have referred Mandram vandha to Rahman for a similar tune for a similar situation of the separation between the married couple..

That was a cool find Raja_fan.
I can hear footsteps of Rahmaniacs, rushing with hues and cries that, they sound totally different. For them, when HJ does the same thing, it's a lift and when ARR does, its a slight!!?? inspiration :lol:

MrJudge
22nd May 2007, 12:58 PM
Jaane Do Na - Shreya Ghoshal
This is the only song in the album which did not impress me much

Oh man! This is the song I love in CK. Shreya just rocks and a perfect melody!

itsmuls
22nd May 2007, 04:56 PM
[tscii:df346568e8]http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/may-07-04/22-05-07-ilayaraja.html

Isaignani mesmerizes Bollywood with his Tamil classics

Music is beyond barriers of region and language. Isaignani Ilaiyaraja has proved this point once again by bringing out a melody album for a to-be-released-soon Bollywood movie. The movie is none other than the Amitabh Bachchan-starrer Cheeni Kum that is all set to hit the screens on 25 th of May.

The album has been highly appreciated for its high melodious tunes and surprising levels of sound. It stands out in the age of techno sounds and beats. Shreya Ghosal is at her best in this album rendering two melodies with élan. The solo saxophone too is also worth mentioning. Half of this album is a lift from his yesteryear Tamil classics. The title song Cheeni Kum is a rip off from Maniratnam's Mauna Raagam hit song 'Mandram vandha thendralukku', another song Batein hawa also rendered by Shreya Ghosal is from Mella Thirandhadhu Kadhavu movie's hit song 'Kuzhaludhum kannanukku'. Both these songs have been lapped up by the Bollywood industry.

It's a surprise that the songs which were termed classics some 15 years ago in Kollywood are appreciated by Bollywood now. It's not without reason that Ilaiyaraja is called the Isaignani. This is a fine example of how he as well as his music is evergreen. We at Behindwoods.com salute the king of melodies. [/tscii:df346568e8]

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2007, 07:58 PM
http://movietonic.com/2007/05/07/top-5-songs-this-week-3/

http://bollywood.celebden.com/?p=1557

raja_fan
22nd May 2007, 08:08 PM
[tscii:c1c1805102]
http://bollywood.celebden.com/

"The album doesn’t have much in quantity but has a lot to offer you in quality. Just go get it! "
[/tscii:c1c1805102]

raja_fan
22nd May 2007, 08:11 PM
:)

Sanjeevi, you stepped ahead of me !

raja_fan
22nd May 2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.sabrasradio.com/sabras.php?p=sChart

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2007, 08:20 PM
no problem (cheeni kum's shreya's voice) raja_fan :)

can you post the content of the above link?

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2007, 08:21 PM
Wov super, the NI guys, now truly exciting

:clap: review

NTDV

[The album takes you back to the Golden era of singers like Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Hemant Kumar

http://www.ndtvmusic.com/Review.asp?category=hindi&id=104&albumname=Cheeni+Kum

raja_fan
22nd May 2007, 09:29 PM
Vow ! what else did we wait for, for years :clap:

I regeret missing all these news on CNN and NDTV :(

When I am typing this, Amithab and Tabu are conversing about CK on Headlines Today, with clippings of the songs..

Great marketing by Balki !
Only the movie should prove it all now.

raja_fan
22nd May 2007, 09:31 PM
Sanjeevi,

that links shows top ten songs with CK at 10th position..

rooky
22nd May 2007, 09:59 PM
Feels so good to see these reviews :)

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/tune-into-sweet-sounds-of-cheeni-kum/40971-8.html
http://www.radiosargam.com/films/archives/3995/music-review-cheeni-kum-2007.html
http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14451705
http://bollywood.celebden.com/?p=1557
http://www.kalingatimes.com/orissa_entertainment/news/20070517_Cheeni_Kum.htm
http://www.bollywoodvillage.com/music-review-cheeni-kum-hindi-movie.asp
http://www.indiaenews.com/bollywood/20070516/51959.htm
http://in.movies.yahoo.com/070514/128/6frgu.html

http://www.sabrasradio.com/sabras.php?p=sChart

rooky
22nd May 2007, 10:23 PM
Cheeni kum at number 5 in bollywood chartbusters

http://www.ndtvmusic.com/chartbust.asp

crajkumar_be
22nd May 2007, 11:05 PM
NTDV

[The album takes you back to the Golden era of singers like Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Hemant Kumar

A blooper from NDTV(?)

Illyaraja who has to his credit the music of Pukaar...

Pukar ARR dhaane??

crajkumar_be
22nd May 2007, 11:11 PM

The best review so far. By a mile :notworthy:
The comments are very interesting too...

irir123
23rd May 2007, 04:49 AM
Hi - is there anyone in the forum presently in Toronto, Canada ? if so, we may watch CK together this Friday night
- PM me

raja_fan
23rd May 2007, 07:49 AM
Pukar is by ARR ! with that hindi original of "Sollaayo solaikkili.." which again was a lift from "Kallellaam maanikka kallaagumaa.." I am inviting ARR fans here too much :)

The reviewer might have actually meant Lajja with BGM by IR and also has Anil Kappor as one of the heroes..

vigneshram
23rd May 2007, 09:21 AM
Pukar is by ARR ! with that hindi original of "Sollaayo solaikkili.." which again was a lift from "Kallellaam maanikka kallaagumaa.." I am inviting ARR fans here too much :)

The reviewer might have actually meant Lajja with BGM by IR and also has Anil Kappor as one of the heroes.. :lol:

Not to forget the charanam part resembling "Inji idupazhagi"

raajarasigan
23rd May 2007, 11:36 AM
Good News :)

Lohithadas back in Tamil with Maestro Ilaiyaraaja

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/31280.html

thumburu
23rd May 2007, 02:11 PM
Today's TOI carries the news item that Amitabh received a standing ovation for his performance in the "Cheeni kum"

thumburu
23rd May 2007, 02:13 PM
oops forgot to mention the Cannes :)

crajkumar_be
23rd May 2007, 02:45 PM
http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/20070523-0.html
No mention of the music, though

app_engine
23rd May 2007, 06:50 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/cn/cn_home.asp?newsres=2&issuedate=5/22/2007&secid=1#‘¡VRŸcÁ%20ÛPWecÂ¥%20‘WLÖÐWÖÇ!

This says the Logithadas movie will have KR's music...
[/tscii:305ea89f4e]

zz
23rd May 2007, 07:45 PM
>>> was a lift from "Kallellaam maanikka kallaagumaa.."

Probabaly not as already IR lifted it as "inge naan kanden kadhai naayagi" from a sivaji starer film. Prabably ARR got inspired from that lift :)))) Idhu epdi

Mayamalava gowla va yaaru handle panninaalum ipdi dhaan poda mudiyum....

Paavan unga naala IRayum copy kat listla sekka vendiyadha pochu

zz
23rd May 2007, 07:49 PM
>>>Not to forget the charanam part resembling "Inji idupazhagi"

Super...
idhu kooda IRa paathu dhaan ARR suttara...IR adhukku munnadi "yeh dil deewana hai" songa "inji iduppu"nu mathinaar..

Super...idhu thaan continuity of a Songs life.

app_engine
23rd May 2007, 09:03 PM
http://www.indiafm.com/features/2007/05/23/2682/

'jAnE dO nA' is the director's fav...

and his all-time fav movie is 'moondRam piRai':-)
http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=164668

raja_fan
23rd May 2007, 10:25 PM
So can we expect IR to come again in "Pa" ?

nickraman
24th May 2007, 05:23 AM
As long as he's got an original script, I think Raja's established himself a spot in Bollywood. He's bringing in the stuff RD Burman would be proud of.

He's truly the Thalaivar of music!

I "REALLY" hope that CK hits off well and it departs from Nishabd, but from the promos, I feel that Balki's done full justice to Maestro's tunes. Let's see if the script is a winner this friday.

irir123
24th May 2007, 06:10 AM
Nickraman - whatever be the outcome, given IR's nature, he might refuse any offer in Bollywood on a whim! he is unpredictable in his choice of films as well

realactivex
24th May 2007, 08:52 AM
The real taste of "commercial" sucess for any music is when the auto/taxi/bus/canteen guys play it.. and thats what is happening with CK in Bangalore.
A lot of upmarket chauffer driven cars are parked near my office and i usually hear CK when i pass them :-)

Hail Raaja!

MrJudge
24th May 2007, 10:23 AM
'jAnE dO nA' is the director's fav...

Yes, this is the best song in the album. Which song features in top10s?

raja_fan
24th May 2007, 10:56 AM
"Which song features in top10s?"

The title track.

raja_fan
24th May 2007, 10:57 AM
relactivex,

Is the CD out in Bangalore ? I could not get it last week.

rooky
24th May 2007, 01:13 PM
CDs are available in Landmark,FORUM and looking at the cd rack there,quite a few sold out too :)

thumburu
24th May 2007, 02:27 PM
I bought the CD from Music world on the brigades. Shreya Ghosal is the USP of "Cheeni Kum"'s reach to the northies.
Her rendition of "cheeni kum"and the fluid bass lines give a very sophisticated, urban feel to our good old SPB's "mandram vandha".
The first interlude of baatein hawa would simply blow the minds of melody lovers. Despite Shreya, I miss the wcm strings of "vizhiyile mani vazhiyin". Esp the 2nd bgm is a mini symphony The neo refurbished orchestration is no match to the old wine.
Cheeni kum CD is worth buying atleast for those last 2 pure instrumental pieces. The first theme music has soft piano and cool violins
and in between when we hear the orchestral riff of "cheeni kum" song, the effect is just spine tingling. This is Raja's speciality.
This should befit the ending credits music and I can visualize the audience leaving the movie hall with tears of joy. [High hopes eh? :)) ]
The second instrumental is sax with jazz flavour.

MrJudge
24th May 2007, 03:18 PM
"Which song features in top10s?"

The title track.

not Jane do na??:(

Thanks anyway!

app_engine
24th May 2007, 06:50 PM
thumburu,
The sax instrumental piece is a brilliant adaptation of 'en iniya pon nilAvE', in typical movie BGM / smooth jazz style. Balki being a fan of BM & IR, this choice is quite understandable. I only wish it lasted a little longer...

raja_fan
24th May 2007, 09:24 PM
I never feel that the Sax melody is a rehash "En iniya.."

May be the breaks in the tune resemble that..but I believe this is a fresh work of IR, not on any remix request.

raja_fan
24th May 2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks Thumburu. I bought the CD from Music World.

For the Rs.150 we pay, even the CD cover is not of good quality :( The design is such that it does not close properly..Do any body feel the same ?

raja_fan
24th May 2007, 09:58 PM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/ar/i/movie_name/9121/3/director/2106/

crajkumar_be
24th May 2007, 10:45 PM
I never feel that the Sax melody is a rehash "En iniya.."

May be the breaks in the tune resemble that..but I believe this is a fresh work of IR, not on any remix request.
Exactly my feeling.
Its not En Iniya Pon Nilave.

baroque
24th May 2007, 11:36 PM
that Sax melody has resemblance of 'naan dhaan sakalakalaavallavan....ilamai idho idho...' for me!
Kettu paarunga..

nickraman
25th May 2007, 12:09 AM
Nickraman - whatever be the outcome, given IR's nature, he might refuse any offer in Bollywood on a whim! he is unpredictable in his choice of films as well

If that's the case, he should've rejected RGV's Shiva 2006 then. What a terrible waste of potential Varma's done (Granted, the old Shiva was the BEST.)

I do remember back on Indiaglitz's talk with Raja himself. This was prior to Shiva 2006's release. Raja said that he prefered Cheeni Kum to Shiva 2006. Also, he didn't feel bothered with Ramu's request.

Not sure what it means but I think he enjoys Balki more than Ramu. And seeing that the film won tremendous appreciation and applause at Cannes, and the song being in the top 10 charts, we hope that the film clicks tomorrow.

app_engine
25th May 2007, 12:44 AM
Review of the movie by some British Londonwala:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/film_reviews/article1830910.ece

Quite interesting!

irir123
25th May 2007, 01:20 AM
App_engine: the reviewer says one good thing - it is that AB sucks (which is what I have always felt and anyways expected from any decent critic abroad! unlike our desi critics)- by all means, IR's music might turn out to be the major attraction/feature of the movie!

and also, at Cannes, a majority of the guys amongst the audience were desis!

plus, Balki being a successful adman, is doing all the right things to promote the film - in the present day setup, where promotion and looks carry more weight than substance, the movie might just succeed for creating interest!

I wish Balki did a candyfloss romance with Hrithik Roshan or SRK and IR scoring the music! then, that would draw crowds for sure!

app_engine
25th May 2007, 01:21 AM
http://www.naachgaana.com/2007/05/23/mumbaimirror-first-look-at-cheeni-kum/

praises Raja...

rooky
25th May 2007, 08:44 AM
http://www.naachgaana.com/2007/05/23/mumbaimirror-first-look-at-cheeni-kum/

praises Raja...

Same article in bangalore vijay times today :)

"From the word go, Cheeni Kum appeals with its polished, luminous camerawork (P C Sreeram) and zesty music track (the incomparable Illayaraja)"

irir123
25th May 2007, 09:30 AM
This review says the movie sucks bigtime!

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Guardian_review/0,,2087234,00.html

realactivex
25th May 2007, 02:37 PM
My firewall does not let me open the guardian page. can somebody please paste the contents for me. Thanks.

And what about the standing ovation at cannes? Was that stage managed by Balki? or was it because most of the guys who saw at cannes were of desi origin? heck. who cares as long as desis like it and make it a hit.

selvakumar
25th May 2007, 02:50 PM
My firewall does not let me open the guardian page. can somebody please paste the contents for me. Thanks.

Here You go !

Stars - * (1)
Phelim O'Neill
Friday May 25, 2007
The Guardian

Half baked: Cheeni Kum

While it's great to see so many foreign language films being set in London (and not making a big deal about it), this Indian comedy romance seems to have fallen into the trap of snaring a big star and giving him nothing to do. While it's true that for a certain number of Bollywood fans, simply seeing their screen idols is enough, for any chance of crossover success the films have to offer more. Bachchan is almost supernaturally popular in India; his performances in such 1970s movies as Deewar and Sholay were truly stunning and he was also the first Asian actor to be honoured with a waxwork dummy in Madame Tussaud's.

Here though he bumbles along as a cantankerous chef who falls for a woman some 30 years his junior. The story tends to veer away from potentially interesting points almost as soon as they come into view. It's not about cooking, the age gap, cultural differences or, seemingly, anything. The advertising is using words like "raw", "spicy" and "fresh", whereas "half-baked" would be nearer the truth. To run with the cookery theme, this is just a pile of ingredients that no one has been bothered to form into a recipe.

MumbaiRamki
25th May 2007, 03:43 PM
-deleted-

MumbaiRamki
25th May 2007, 03:44 PM
-deleted-

MumbaiRamki
25th May 2007, 03:44 PM
-deleted-

MumbaiRamki
25th May 2007, 03:45 PM
--deleted-

MumbaiRamki
25th May 2007, 03:45 PM
--deleted-

MumbaiRamki
25th May 2007, 03:46 PM
--deleted--

MumbaiRamki
25th May 2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/may/25cheeni.htm
3 1/2 stars ..

Raja sen gives unbiased ,though controversial reviews ..He follows his convention of not sliding thru the soundtrack or BGM of the movie !

thumburu
25th May 2007, 04:23 PM
When the mood is bitter sweet CheeniKum, Iam late about Ajantha. Yet, I don't listen to samples on the net and prefer to wait till CDs or cassettes come out.
Ajantha is a kaleidoscope of colors offering by IR recently in TFM after a dark gloom of Mayakannadi.
My best pick from the album is undoubtedly UnniKrishnan's "yarukku yaarendru". I rate this number at par with any nice song from Raja's 80's songs. Pleasant, upbeat tune, Unni's singing, nice orchestration, all these go hand in hand. My next pick would be IR-Shreya soft duet "yaarum thodaadha ondrai" . The interludes in this song simply caress me like a breeze.
"yenge irundhai isaiye" and "thoorigai " are routine IR melodies.
In "Thoorigai", Raja has used Paras/Lalitha raga scale for a change , instead of
his favorite Keeravani/SindhuBhairavi/Mayamalavagowlai mould. The Manjari's song "oh Ilaigyan rasigan" is quite interesting.
It begins like an 80's disco retro and then annoyingly goes to use the tribal beats of "aasaiya kaathule". But wait . Dunt skip this song as it morphs into sweet melody after that and ends with classical sudhadhanyasi swaras . It deviates from the pallavi- 2 charanam structure.
"Kaiyil oru keyboard" and "poduda" are bleak colors.
Manjari has grown into a mature singer in this album.

krish244
25th May 2007, 05:05 PM
[tscii:1d7b22648b]Another cheeni kum review:

http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=125148

About music it says (and thats all it says):

"Illaiya Raja’s music is in sync with the film."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:1d7b22648b]

raja_fan
25th May 2007, 05:57 PM
This shows why people like IR are not taken seriously in the north..
For these people ( northies ), a film means just the story and the actors..nothing else..no technical people behind the screen..no musician, no camera man, no editors..nothing..hopeless creatures :banghead:

btw.., Cheeni kum review at 8.30 PM today at NDTV..lets see what they have to say !

irir123
25th May 2007, 06:41 PM
http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/entertainment/cheeni-kum-delicious-first-course-dull-dessert-/283314

most sensible, balancd review so far- and yet, no mention of the BGM!!

irir123
25th May 2007, 06:48 PM
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/catalyst/2007/05/17/stories/2007051700140300.htm

"Sometime in the future, Balki also hopes to work with his other favourite actor, Kamal Hassan, whose Moondram Pirai (Sadma in Hindi) he has watched 22 times. Among directors admired are Baalu Mahendra, Bharatiraja, Mani Ratnam and Karan Johar, who, according to Balki, is among the most honest and fun filmmakers."

app_engine
25th May 2007, 09:27 PM
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1099125

Raja and PC Sriram are appreciated here...

app_engine
25th May 2007, 10:36 PM
http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/fullstory.php?id=14458090

"vinOdha yAthra can be classified as a hit" it says...one more for IR-Sathyan Anthikkad combo...

rooky
25th May 2007, 10:44 PM
http://content.msn.co.in/Entertainment/Bollywood/bollywoodIFM_250507_354.htm

"P.C. Sreeram's cinematography is splendid. Ilaiyaraaja's musical score is soothing. The title track is soft on your ear drums."

"On the whole, 'Cheeni Kum' is absorbing in parts. A lackluster first half gets a boost with a much energetic second half and that elevates the film to the watchable level. At the box-office, 'Cheeni Kum' is targeted at the multiplexes mainly. Clever promos and feel-good vibes should ensure a positive run at the multiplexes."

Nerd
26th May 2007, 12:56 AM
Masand's review:

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/showbiz/05_2007/masands-verdict-cheeni-kum-41331.html

2 stars. He hasnt said anything about the music. On the whole looks like the first half is good and the second half is pathetic!

irir123
26th May 2007, 04:13 AM
review by Leigh Singer

http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=161580

"For starters, this is no straight musical, hence no cast-of-thousands dance routines. The music, though integral, is used in much the same way Hollywood wallpapers its montage sequences. Admittedly, to unaccustomed ears, the insanely catchy title theme sounds like it was composed on a 1980s Casio keyboard - you almost expect it to segue into 'Axel F' - but legendary composer Ilaiyaraaja and lyricists Sameer and Manoj Tapadia supplement the main story rather than overpower it. There's more Western influence here than just the London setting."

teja
26th May 2007, 06:01 AM
[tscii:b5bd8f5697]Khalid Mohamed's Review.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=b772b3ff-dd1b-4e7b-8f47-ce7b364309b3&MatchID1=4465&TeamID1=10&TeamID2=6&MatchType1=1&SeriesID1=1109&MatchID2=4467&TeamID3=2&TeamID4=4&MatchType2=1&SeriesID2=1110&PrimaryID=4465&Headline=Review%3a+EMCheeni+Kum%2fEM

"Balki also carries a Mani Ratnam hangover: the Ilaiyaraja music seem to be retreads from Mouna Ragam.. and the terminally-ill child is straight out of Anjali. Also, it’s no surprise that the cinematography is by Ratnam’s oft-used lensman P C Sriram."[/tscii:b5bd8f5697]

Hulkster
26th May 2007, 09:20 AM
Guys i am going to watch cheeni kum later...will bring you a review of the BGM..:D

ezy0265
26th May 2007, 07:56 PM
Great Hulkster,

Looking forward to your review. Am planning to catch the movie on Monday in Singapore.

Cheers!

popeye11
26th May 2007, 10:29 PM
Hey Guys !

Has anyone listened to 'The Music Messaiah' album..

Any comments/reviews

teja
27th May 2007, 03:59 AM
FullHyd is know for its unbiased reviews.
http://www.fullhyderabad.com/scripts/profiles.php3?section=Movies&name=Cheeni+Kum&ID=4632

"The title song "Cheeni Kum" has delightful rhythm, and is catchy, gentle and heartwarming, even when you are listening to it for the first time.
While the music by Ilayaraja is generally good, it is surprising that during several segments in the first half of the movie, there is hardly a background score"

Hulkster
27th May 2007, 08:08 AM
http://sevenmountain.blogspot.com/2007/05/cheeni-kum-movie-review.html

Thalaivar has shown that his BGM reflects on the theme of the movie rather than just coming across as wonderful orchestral pieces...the instruments and style of BGM is really worth a album on its on :clap:

I forgot to mention that there is a beautfil bit song vaishnava janato that comes when paresh rawal ignores all the food from his loved ones...nice arrangements :D

krish244
27th May 2007, 01:14 PM
Review at Desicritics:

http://desicritics.org/2007/05/27/011343.php

Also, I was able to catch the NDTV movie review of CK and if I remember it right, the reviewer said that music is a delight.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
27th May 2007, 01:57 PM
[tscii:b1147e252e]Couple of more reviews:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Movie_Reviews/Review_Cheeni_Kum/articleshow/2075063.cms

Review on Times of India.

no mention about music.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1099125

On DnaIndia.

"P C Sreeram’s intimate camerawork sets the mood for the film as does Ilaiyaraaja’s melodious tunes."

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1099059

Box office collections.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/review/8658.html

IndiaGlitz review. Says "From both music and editing perspective, there is a clear distinction between
the first and the second half. While music is extremely likeable as the songs play in the background
throughout the first half of the narrative, in the second half it is hardly effective."

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/May262007/movies200705253712.asp

Deccan Herald review. No mention about music.

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:b1147e252e]

K
27th May 2007, 07:58 PM
http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/2007/05/cheeni-kum.html

rooky
27th May 2007, 10:50 PM
Saw the movie.Overall, movie is a good one to watch.

The first half is well paced while the second half is not so.
Music throughout the movie is good and there are quite a few notable instances where raja stamps his authority.

There is a score with "vaishnava jana" song in the seconf half which is quite good.

But, there was not even a single complete song played in the movie (at PVR).Thats' a major disappointment for me.But, all the songs(though played in bits) fits to the movie perfectly.

This movie should do well in a centers and i think this would get a pass mark in BO :)

Read reviews for shootout and cheenikum in bangalore vijay times today.CK gets three stars while shootout gets 1 star.

If shootout falls out,Ck would do even better :)

teja
28th May 2007, 02:56 PM
Thoroughly disappointing...!

There are hardly any songs in the movie. No wonder... no one is talking about music in their reviews.

Cheeni Kum - first 30 seconds of this song is played 3-4 times. Forget charanam, you won't even get to hear the anupallavi. What a pity!

Baatein hawa - again only the pallavi is played, that too with major distractions.

Jaane do - lasted more than 30 seconds, but most of the song is chopped off, yet again.

It's hard to notice any sort of music in this film...
I just hope IR doesn't waste his time with Balki again.

Sad to see IR's hard work going down the drain.

realactivex
28th May 2007, 03:14 PM
unbelievable. worst news i have heard in recent times. Just too shocking.

Hulkster
28th May 2007, 03:42 PM
Teja i think you forgot how the movie was conceived..it is made in hollywood style making the songs as BGM to induce effectiveness of the scenes...i enjoyed the way the music integrated with the film..its not necessary that raja is only upheld if his songs come in every scene...in fact if they featured full length the movement of the story and the relativity of the previous scenes would be lost...i would say as a director he has balanced the technical and main aspects of the movie :D

MumbaiRamki
28th May 2007, 06:00 PM
http://desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2007/05/26/review-cheeni-kum-shootout-at-lokhandwala/

As usual brangan comes up with his review !Surprisinglty no mention of raaja .

app_engine
28th May 2007, 07:18 PM
mumbai Ramki, "bouncy tunes of Ilaiyaraja"-ngaRadha neenga vAsikkalayA?:-)

Nakeeran
28th May 2007, 08:28 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Movie_Reviews/Review_Cheeni_Kum/articleshow/2075258.cms

Atrocious :evil:

Times of India is the No : 1 daily in West / North India and has a giant reach . Such a paper not even mentioning a single word about music is something disgusting .

Let them cover the theme and the lead *casting but why total blackout on music ! :shock:

If Himesh or ARR had done the composing, they would have blown heavy trumpheting .

raja_fan
28th May 2007, 08:45 PM
Thoroughly disappointing...!

There are hardly any songs in the movie. No wonder... no one is talking about music in their reviews.

This is the thing that is always happening for poor IR :(

Particularly, the people who claim to be his great fans do this. That is more hurting..
Kamalhassan did this in his Virumandi, MX etc..
Bala did it in Pithamagan..
Now Balki !

Really hurting :(

vem
28th May 2007, 09:42 PM
guys

IR should stipulate a condition to directors that all his songs (atleast some) be played in the movie.

mumbai Xpress was a complete disappointment to me in this regard. The movie is a crap and that movie showed the in-coherence in film making of the well known and renowned singeetham. I wonder how the heck could he make such a crap movie. The movie is illogical and completely boring after a point with some stupid jokes. It could have been saved with some good jokes - but, to add insut to injury, IR's music was also pathetic.

Virumandi - another worst movie with very bad screen play. IR's tunes were excellent and rustic - but Kamal raped these songs by either showing them in bits and pieces or just neglecting them completely. Hey Ram and Virumandi pretty much show that Kamal is a complete tyro in art of directing and he needs to grow up in that regard.

Shiva - another major disaster for IR as a few good songs were neglected by our Indian spooky director RGV. This movie spoilt the pure IR tunes "Saara ye aalam" with some vulgar and obscene sequences by the heroine.

And now Cheeni Kum.... Balki's interviews suggest that he is a veteran of more than 100 movies in his kitty. Well ! If he is not concerned with IR's tunes, he could have atleast chosen a budding MD instead of IR. May be IR is very cheap :) money wise.

IR should quit the film industry as the current generation directors talk big about him before making the movie and completely fail him down in the actual movie.

teja
28th May 2007, 09:46 PM
@Nakeeran,

I don't think it's reviewer's fault. As I mentioned earlier, you can hardly notice any music in this film.
It's a pity that "Vaishnav jan ko" gets more screen time than any of the actual songs.
If I weren't an IR fan, I wouldn't have noticed anything extra ordinary with music either. Director has butchered the music to that extent.

@Hulkster,
may be what you said is true. But the end result of that - no one is going to notice IR's work in the film. Well, Balki could have at least continued the title track "cheeni kum" beyond 10 seconds.
Just 2 lines of that song? Come on!
I was waiting for it to go beyond the words "cheeni kum hai cheeni kum hai"... But no!
Songs last longer in promos, than in the film.

With a fan like Balki, IR doesn't need any distractors.

Nakeeran
28th May 2007, 09:51 PM
Teja

For the northies, the tunes are all new and fresh. & they have been well re-orchestrated .
It should be pleasing to their ears too no ?

Seems like the waves of current crop of guys like HR / Ismail D etc have changed the trend totally. I bet, if it had been such guys, the promo campaign would have been totally diff.

crajkumar_be
28th May 2007, 11:05 PM
guys

IR should stipulate a condition to directors that all his songs (atleast some) be played in the movie.

mumbai Xpress was a complete disappointment to me in this regard. The movie is a crap and that movie showed the in-coherence in film making of the well known and renowned singeetham. I wonder how the heck could he make such a crap movie. The movie is illogical and completely boring after a point with some stupid jokes. It could have been saved with some good jokes - but, to add insut to injury, IR's music was also pathetic.

Virumandi - another worst movie with very bad screen play. IR's tunes were excellent and rustic - but Kamal raped these songs by either showing them in bits and pieces or just neglecting them completely. Hey Ram and Virumandi pretty much show that Kamal is a complete tyro in art of directing and he needs to grow up in that regard.

Vem,
May i request you to kindly grow up and watch some *cinema* before passing arbit judgements like this?
Your post is characterized by bad grammar, blind vitriol and abysmal intellect - idhellam correct pannunga first
Thank you :notworthy:

nickraman
29th May 2007, 04:45 AM
I still have yet to download the xvid torrent (waiting for it)

Balki stated in his interviews that he wanted Raja's tune to fit the background situation. In fact, the reason that Shiva didn't work was the picturization for a RGV film! That and Ramu choose bad Raja tunes to remake.

From MX's audio release, every Kamal knew that MX is nothing by a BGM movie. Granted, Pyar Chahiye/Poo Pothadhu was the only picturized song (the same thing follows for CK folks!) Aila Re/Yeli Adithapa po, Bandar Ki Dugi/Kuzhanda Kayil Malai and Monkey Chatter/Anthem were nothing but BGM and that's fine.
If the film's story is the USP of the film then you would want the songs to not steer you in another direction. Directors are targeting the viewer to understand the story not have part I of story then song 1 then part II of story followed by another song, etc.
Yes I know Raja's a genius in composing but again, Balki's done justice to the songs (read Jaane Do Na/Title Song). The cinema we knew then is slowly going away from us.

vem
29th May 2007, 10:32 AM
mr crajkumar

i assume u to be a kamal fan. i am sorry if i offended u in any ways. i just expressed my opinion that i just couldnt stand watching Virumandi and Mxpress.

If you are upset with my English/other aspects, I dont give a rats ass abt that. U, being a grown up, and technically English speaking big shot should stop visiting such public threads for your own good. come out of ur narrow minded world !

crajkumar_be
29th May 2007, 11:07 AM
mr crajkumar
i assume u to be a kamal fan. i am sorry if i offended u in any ways. i just expressed my opinion that i just couldnt stand watching Virumandi and Mxpress.

If you are upset with my English/other aspects, I dont give a rats ass abt that. U, being a grown up, and technically English speaking big shot should stop visiting such public threads for your own good. come out of ur narrow minded world !
:rotfl: Thanks for proving me right :lol2:

krish244
29th May 2007, 02:10 PM
Take this! The link says IR will score for "Pa". Not sure how far its true. BTW, I am not able to read the full news as the site is blocked in my company. Can someone please post the full news.

http://www.bollyvista.com/article/a/32/7674

All I could see from Google News snapshot is

"Vidya Balan may step in the project instead of Rai. 'Pa' will have musical notes from Ilaiyaraaja, who is being appreciated for his work in 'Cheeni Kum'"

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
29th May 2007, 03:12 PM
[tscii:d5a3c32b54]Vidya Balan may step in 'Pa'
By Our Correspondent ©2007 Bollyvista.com

'Cheeni Kum' might have been accepted by audiences with mixed reactions but its director R. Balki is all excited about his next movie 'Pa' with same producer Sunil Manchanda. 'Pa' is ready to go on the floors in due time and features Amitabh and Abhishek Bachchan. It is a very light comedy film portraying the relationship between a father and son.

Although Balki had thought of casting Aishwarya Rai in the film earlier, news has come in that Vidya Balan may step in the project instead of Rai.

'Pa' will have musical notes from Ilaiyaraaja, who is being appreciated for his work in 'Cheeni Kum'.

[/tscii:d5a3c32b54]

krish244
30th May 2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks raja_fan for posting the full news item !

Looks like IR was present for "Cheeni Kum" preview. Here is a short interview of his:

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEE20070529120136&Page=E&Title=Startrek&Topic=-59

thanks,

Krishnan

realactivex
30th May 2007, 05:24 PM
Folks,
here is a wiki search on IR in Cheeni kum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheeni_Kum
Part of the article is pasted here.
Music Composer Ilayaraja has composed 7 tracks. The reaction towards this album is generally positive. Fans of the maestro have praised Raja's efforts in spreading the acclaimed tamil tunes and modernizing it in hindi. Although some fans have panned that Raja should've created some more tunes and should've created a original soundtrack rather than recycle his classic tamil tunes. Reviewers such as Indiafm has rated "Cheeni Kum" 3 stars out off 5 with Joginer Tuteja quoting "'Cheeni Kum' turns out to be an enjoyable album which has its moments throughout its 7 track duration. While one never expected a musical from a film which told a love story that had never been seen before, 'Cheeni Kum' manages to throw in a nice-n-little pleasant surprise." Other sites such as Planet Bollywood, Sulekha, and fellow internet bloggers have praised Raja's melodious tunes in comparison's to today's music given by Himesh Reshamiya or Anu Malik.

Similarily [Businessofcinema.com] gave the album a 3/5 rating and mentioned that "sounds of the instruments and Vocals blend in harmony to provide a simple yet powerful score. This album is a must have, especially to play in between all those generated scores we are usually subjected to."

However,Rediff.com reviewer, Sonia Chopra has given the album a 2.5 out 5 stars quoting "The music is largely monotonous; only one or two voices have been used throughout. Not that Shreya Ghosal is not a good singer, she's terrific; but three songs one after the other, with the same voice, does begin to grate on your nerves. Plus, all the songs sound similar. Even lyrics by Sameer and Manoj Tapadia are disappointing and mediocre. When people say that they appreciate simple lyrics, they don't mean lyrics without any imagination whatsoever!" The Rediff bloggers have widely countered her logic by claiming that she has no ear for the maestro's music followed by a series of negative comments against her and the site's biased reviews as well.

raja_fan
30th May 2007, 05:50 PM
Realactivex,

Don't take wikipedia seriously :)

Do you know that you and I can edit that page ourselves ? :D

app_engine
30th May 2007, 09:32 PM
http://www.hindu.com/2007/05/28/stories/2007052805770200.htm

And I read in bbc website that CK managed to be #8 in London BO...

http://www.newkerala.com/news5.php?action=fullnews&id=33360

someone said he'll wait for Subash Jha's review...he says IR's melodies are talcum fresh...

app_engine
30th May 2007, 09:41 PM
another version of Subash Jha review:
http://www.indiafm.com/features/2007/05/28/2704/

irir123
31st May 2007, 04:12 AM
guys, did you all notice the patronising manner in which these portals portray IR or Kamal ?

"'Pa' will have musical notes from Ilaiyaraaja, who is being appreciated for his work in 'Cheeni Kum'"

for Kamal it is always "the talented Kamal"

nickraman
31st May 2007, 06:31 AM
CK got a 70% response this coming weekend in comparison to the dull 20% on opening day. Declared Super hit overseas along with Shootout as well.

raja_fan
1st June 2007, 08:01 AM
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/06/01/stories/2007060152020200.htm

rooky
3rd June 2007, 08:17 PM
IR birthday special

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/12413.html

rooky
3rd June 2007, 08:22 PM
Some more

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/31526.html

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/31525.html

raja_fan
3rd June 2007, 09:23 PM
CK advances to No.6 from last week's No.10 position in Zoom TV's "My Desi Top 20" :)

Seems to be the reflection of the movie's good going in BO.

rooky
3rd June 2007, 09:30 PM
Cheenikum - jane do naa - at number 6 in this weeks' desi top20 countdown in ZOOM tv

venky_vinod
4th June 2007, 02:58 AM
The fresh Western orchestrations of the old Raaja songs in Cheeni Kum were very much pleasing to the ear.

But the 2 instrumental tracks of the album take the cake. What a contrast ? While the second one captures you in its swinging and swaggering flow, the first one is so soothing. The soft melody is so melodious and pleasant like the morning dew on green lawns in a hill station.

Great ones !

Sanjeevi
8th June 2007, 11:18 AM
Mukhbir - a new hindi film of IlaiyaRaja?

http://www.radiosargam.com/films/archives/3919/movie-preview-mukhbir-2007.html

RR
8th June 2007, 08:22 PM
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=9858