PDA

View Full Version : Indian-specific ghosts.

sick31
8th August 2006, 06:28 AM
Dear Hubbers,

My friend is doing an article on the ethnocentric ghosts that the various cultures. He called me up yesterday and asked me if there are any ghosts/evil spirits/demons, which are peculiar to the Indian culture, and for the life of me, I couldn't tell him.

I called my mother to ask her, but she was in an anoying/whimsical mood, and she told me Indian people are very pious, so we don't have such things.

She has to be wrong. The West have their bogeyman, the Chinese their eight levels of Hell, with an entire KINGDOM of demons, vampires and suchlike. The Malay have their poster-girl, the pontianak.

What do we scare our children with? Or do we just borrow ideas from everywhere else?

Please help if you have any information.

-Vijay

Hulkster
8th August 2006, 06:38 AM
Well let us go deep into the acclaimed spirits and demons of the indian culture.

Suspect No 1
- Mohini Pisasu
(Appears as a beautiful lady who preys on man's blood and is some sort of a demoness. Origins unknown. Is said to not touch a man if he urinates in a circle and sit inside a circle)

Suspect No 2
- KuttiChatan
(The indian equivalent of toyol or the foetus devil..it is less scarier and more naughtier as it is reputed to be pitch black with a scarey smile that looks like it did not brush its teeth with colgate for years. It basically does things that its master commands it to do but is totally allergic to divine stuff.)

Suspect No 3
- Ratha Kaateri
(This demonic woman who loves blood is no aishwarya rai to see. The mohini pisasu atleast satisfies man by apeparing beautiful. This demoness however straightaway appears like she just got acidified. And she does not have to see blood to get lusty...she immediately dives in for blood)

Divine suspects
-Mayana Kaliamman
( Also known as sudugadu kaliamman...some believe her to be a demonic goddess with a skull garland and a terrifying stare who dances upon a corpse resembling her husband. She is said to dance within the night at the realm of the dead(sudugaadu) and each strand of hair on her head is a jeeva or a soul of someone dead. Legends say she is a form of parashakthi(shiva's wife) and hence that also makes her shiva's wife. She is also said to go uncontrollably wild which can be stopped by her husband focussing all her wild energy on himself by appearing as a corpse..thus that picture. She is also said to be wife of yama the God of death due to her also being goddess of death.)

Thats all i know..the rest you got to ask the spirits themselves..:D

pavalamani pragasam
8th August 2006, 08:15 AM
Listen to 'kandha shashti kavasam'!!!

Alan
8th August 2006, 09:06 AM
Hulkster! I am amazed! You seem to know so much about Indian Myths!!!!!!!!!! I haven't heard any of these 'devils' before!

Hulkster
8th August 2006, 09:16 AM
Actually Alan there are more but i forgot what they are called..the indians(those who live in India) should know more...:D

PS: Kaliamman is not a demon..she is a goddess but because of her supernatural connection i thought of stating her name and my mum used to scare me with her song if i did not sleep. what song you ask? "Shakthi vanthaalae di!" :frightened: :shaking: :cry3:

NOV
8th August 2006, 09:38 AM
Listen to 'kandha shashti kavasam'!!!:exactly:

paarka paarka paavam podipada
billi soonyam perumpahai ahala
valla bootham valaashtihap peihal
allal paduthum adangaa muniyum
pillaihal thinnum puzhakadai muniyum (110)

kollivaayp peihalum kuralaip peihalum
penkalai thodarum bramaraa chatharum
adiyanaik kandaal alari kalangida
irisi kaatteri ithunba senaiyum
yellilum iruttilum yethirpadum mannarum (115)

kana pusai kollum kaaliyodu anaivarum
vittaan gaararum migu pala peihalum
thandiyak kaararum sandaalar halum
yen peyar sollavum idi vizhunthodida
aanai adiyinil arum paavaihalum (120)

solona
8th August 2006, 10:24 AM
Hi Vj

My humble contribution to Hulksters list

Vaethlaam - a ghost which haunts trees like muragai maram, vaeppai maram etc a eternal enemy to king Vikramathithan, sort od Indian equivalent to Vampire

Kolli vai pisasu - a ghost with fire on the mouth, village legends tell that these ghosts haunts deserted places at nights

bootham - something my mother used to call whenI refused eat when I was small, I imagined it to ressebme a bit the Aladdin lamp ghost

Personnally I have never met the above VIPs but have heard lots of stories about them from my honorable grand ma who used to narrate them with such a liveliness that I was convinced that these things existed (when I was a kid :lol: )

great
8th August 2006, 11:07 AM
pls include Hulkster to the list :exactly: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

He is a terror :shock:

pavalamani pragasam
8th August 2006, 12:53 PM
And what interesting stories about 'kaaththu' & 'karuppu' which have an extraordinary, passionate affinity for young pregnant women fully decked with jewels & fragrant flowers who dared to venture out of their house after sunset!!! For this one ban for pregnant women I believe there is some scientific truth based on health factors like chilly weather at night. I can't forget my grandma's ( and ma's) displeasure at my hubby taking me out for a night show when I had conceived our first son more than 3 decades ago. I am prone to respiratory infections, sneezing at the least provocation!

In rural areas the 'kodangi' with his udukku is a very much real feature till today. How can he flourish if there were not so many 'spirits' in the minds our lay people???

tfmlover
9th August 2006, 02:41 AM
Veppa mara uchchiyil ninru peyonru aaduthunnu vilaiyaadap pogum pothu solli vappaanga... un Veeraththa Kolunthileye Killi vappaanga... :hammer: velaiyatra veenargalin moolaiayatra vaarththaigalai :curse: vEdikaiyaaga kooda nambi vidaathE...nee veettukkallae payanthu kidanthu vembi vidaathE :thumbsup:

the old successfully spin tales to fear and manipulate little human minds.. :cry2:
may not be a super hit but see night shyamalan's 'the village' there is a message why not to trust everything the old say .

skanthan
9th August 2006, 08:44 AM
PS: Kaliamman is not a demon..she is a goddess but because of her supernatural connection i thought of stating her name and my mum used to scare me with her song if i did not sleep. what song you ask? "Shakthi vanthaalae di!" :frightened: :shaking: :cry3:

:lol2: @ Hulkster!

I never heard that song. How does it go?

Raikkonen
9th August 2006, 10:06 AM
what about jing jing jinga bung bung bungga

Lambretta
9th August 2006, 02:23 PM
what about jing jing jinga bung bung bungga
:? :lol:
Itthenna Chinese ghosta?? :P :lol:

Actually sounds like a line from an old hindi song......ina meena deeka, dai dama neeka... :lol:

Lambretta
9th August 2006, 02:26 PM
the old successfully spin tales to fear and manipulate little human minds.. :cry2:
may not be a super hit but see night shyamalan's 'the village' there is a message why not to trust everything the old say .
Hmmmm...... :roll: :confused2:

Btw, tfml, do u believe in the ghost Betaal tat appears in the story of ur current avtaar (Vikram & Betaal, Chandamama storybook).....:D

Lambretta
9th August 2006, 02:44 PM
- Mohini Pisasu
(Appears as a beautiful lady who preys on man's blood and is some sort of a demoness. Origins unknown. Is said to not touch a man if he urinates in a circle and sit inside a circle)
U know I reckon they actually used to refer to sum REAL ladies who r like this in a way :wink: (ho I'm gonna get blazed now! :lol: :devil:) & eventally fabricated them to make them sound like 'pisaasus'.....:lol:
Altho no idea abt not touching men who sit in the circle of their pee......only I'd feel sorry for such men who'd hav to endure sitting within such a circle for god-knows-how-long....tat'd ultimately make them feel even worse than being haunted by the pisaasu......atleast she'd be good to look at (& maybe even smell, if she appears like a real person!) :wink: :lol:

- KuttiChatan
(The indian equivalent of toyol or the foetus devil..it is less scarier and more naughtier as it is reputed to be pitch black with a scarey smile that looks like it did not brush its teeth with colgate for years. It basically does things that its master commands it to do but is totally allergic to divine stuff.)
Hm......well, ther wer many b*****s at school who said sumthing similar abt my smile even tho I DID always brush my teeth w/ colgate (only!) for years.........:hammer: :roll:
Neways, I've finally changed my toothpaste now! & I can say it feels much better! :P

- Ratha Kaateri
(This demonic woman who loves blood is no aishwarya rai to see. The mohini pisasu atleast satisfies man by apeparing beautiful. This demoness however straightaway appears like she just got acidified. And she does not have to see blood to get lusty...she immediately dives in for blood)
Well, if she were an aishwarya rai to see, then I for one wudnt be interested in seeing her neways.....:P :devil:

Btw, hulku thambi......am surprised U believe in Indian "folk" ghosts like Mohini pisasu etc....since ur basically against religion & tradition (rem'ing ur earlier post in another thread wher u talked abt "eradication of religion & tradition"....? :roll: )
So these r like, traditional/religion based ghosts.....dont u think ur belief in these shud be eradicated too? :huh: :D

Hulkster
10th August 2006, 06:26 AM
Lamby....i am against religion and tradition not be cause i hate them but because i have tried living simply without following any traditional practices or religious practices and their customs and i have had a very peaceful and successful life. It also proved to me that as long as one has common sense, morals and values that person can live a peaceful life. On the contrary there are certain things in religion and traditions that are too illogical and some against a human/individual rights that made me drop them altogether. And moreover religions and traditions are man-made rather than by GOD and actually subsets or modifications of the values and morals that GOD gave us.

As for these ghosts although i do not believe in them..they are very interesting to look into so i thought i might give vijay some pointers on them. :D

Lamby : Just live with the belief of GOD and try to differentiate what is right and wrong and what is logical without referring to religions but by analysing them yourself and you find out that you wunt lose anything or become uncivilised. :2thumbsup:

tfmlover
10th August 2006, 09:59 AM
Hmmmm...... :roll: :confused2:

Btw, tfml, do u believe in the ghost Betaal tat appears in the story of ur current avtaar (Vikram & Betaal, Chandamama storybook).....:D

Lambretta ! good day
i am fond of king vikramaditya :thumbsup: whos not afraid of ghost betaal .. :twisted:
my hero :wink:
love his stories Lambretta
pls suggest incase you have any links online
thanks

mgb
10th August 2006, 10:22 AM
tfml.. apdina inime 'mohini' pera solli enna bayamurutha koodadhu..

Anoushka
10th August 2006, 06:07 PM
Ganesh: enga KC1 & KC2 -vai pathi thaan pOst paNNi irukeengaLO appadinu paarthEn :)

tfmlover
11th August 2006, 02:19 AM
tfml.. apdina inime 'mohini' pera solli enna bayamurutha koodadhu..

:lol: ongalai paartha mohini vardu..paaduven :lol:
inum neraya iruku mgb :thumbsup:

ramky
11th August 2006, 02:27 AM
Lamby....i am against religion and tradition not be cause i hate them but because i have tried living simply without following any traditional practices or religious practices and their customs and i have had a very peaceful and successful life. It also proved to me that as long as one has common sense, morals and values that person can live a peaceful life. On the contrary there are certain things in religion and traditions that are too illogical and some against a human/individual rights that made me drop them altogether. And moreover religions and traditions are man-made rather than by GOD and actually subsets or modifications of the values and morals that GOD gave us.

As for these ghosts although i do not believe in them..they are very interesting to look into so i thought i might give vijay some pointers on them. :D

Lamby : Just live with the belief of GOD and try to differentiate what is right and wrong and what is logical without referring to religions but by analysing them yourself and you find out that you wunt lose anything or become uncivilised. :2thumbsup:

Hulk : its amazing :o I also have similar viewpoints ( I am also member of a Spiritual Organisation which imparts training in Meditation ) and have come to almost same conclusions ( like you had ), after wandering here and there seeking the truth !

Reg ghosts, I firmly believe that there are ghosts! some examples - the pinpricks of our conscience, fear of retribution from Fate or God for one's sins, fear of everything on Earth bcos of a diffident nature, etc etc. Like this there are so many Ghosts in one's life. and these are not only meant for or found in India, but also pertain to the whole Living Planet called Earth !

tfmlover
11th August 2006, 04:02 AM
irish are the best in ghost tales .
see ? "The World's Scariest Ghosts Caught on Tape" by CA ghost hunters .
there are devil worshipers too .

skanthan
11th August 2006, 08:47 AM

:shaking:

Shekhar
11th August 2006, 09:52 AM
I love female ghosts. But difficult to distinguish though.. :wink: :) :)

great
11th August 2006, 10:24 AM
Ganesh: enga KC1 & KC2 -vai pathi thaan pOst paNNi irukeengaLO appadinu paarthEn :)

:rotfl:

Hulkster
11th August 2006, 11:41 AM
Ramky... im first trying to see if ghosts are actually illusions of my mind or only appear if you believe they are there...even if i dunt believe and they still appear i will send u a PM abt it..provided the ghost leaves me alive :shaking:

Hulkster
11th August 2006, 11:42 AM

You know it is possible they might have got TR Rajendar on tape or something...u may neva know and that is enough to scare a human being to death.

sick31
11th August 2006, 01:01 PM
Hey everyone,

Thank you very much for your valuable input. I think my friend is a happy man.

-Vijay

Hulkster
11th August 2006, 01:37 PM
sick31 besides ur friend doing the report...do you believe in spirits especially our indian spirits?

mgb
11th August 2006, 03:01 PM

:rotfl:
thaangal iruvarum adhigamaaga sirithu, nammai inam kaati kolla vendam endru kettu kolla padugirirgal 8-)

Tia
11th August 2006, 06:21 PM
Ohhhhhhh thats what kuttichatan meanss!!! now i understand what a few ppl called in in the hub! :lol:

Well let us go deep into the acclaimed spirits and demons of the indian culture.

Suspect No 2
- KuttiChatan

tfmlover
12th August 2006, 02:21 AM

You know it is possible they might have got TR Rajendar on tape or something...u may neva know and that is enough to scare a human being to death.

amaa amaa :lol: :lol: :lol:
athu thalaiku paint adicha pei
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/sarath_win310706/121493.html

tfmlover
12th August 2006, 02:23 AM

whyyyyyy..enna athu white silk saariyila sexyaa nadanthu varume adanaalaa? :lol:

Braandan
13th August 2006, 08:40 AM
Puranaas talk about "Gandharva"s and "kinnara"s. (I don't believe in ghosts, so I don't believe in those also). They can be included as Indian ethnic ghosts! Gandharvas are supposed to be very handsome men, and are believed to seduce women. Kinnaras may be compared to elves, fairies etc.

temporary sori-Observer
13th August 2006, 07:04 PM

whyyyyyy..enna athu white silk saariyila sexyaa nadanthu varume adanaalaa? :lol:
tfmlover,
[tscii:f590d1d541]Athu silk saree ille, '…£ òå' saree. Silk podhuvaa '…£ òå'-vaaga irukkaathu. Mohininga kattikittu varathu white nylon saree. :fishgrin: :twisted: [/tscii:f590d1d541]

Lambretta
13th August 2006, 08:05 PM
Ohhhhhhh thats what kuttichatan meanss!!! now i understand what a few ppl called in in the hub! :lol:
A few ppl including GAAYINI, I bet! :poke: :devil: :lol:

Lambretta
13th August 2006, 08:11 PM
Whyyyyyy..."sexy" aa nadakarthuku Saree thaan kattikinuma enna??!! :evil: :hammer: :angry2: :curse: :roll:

sick31
13th August 2006, 10:05 PM
Hey Hulkster,

Nope, never had any sort of belief in the supernatural. Although I refuse to watch scary movies.

:)

-Vijay

tfmlover
15th August 2006, 01:59 AM

tfmlover,
[tscii:25d06923f3]Athu silk saree ille, '…£ òå' saree. Silk podhuvaa '…£ òå'-vaaga irukkaathu. Mohininga kattikittu varathu white nylon saree. :fishgrin: :twisted: [/tscii:25d06923f3]
nylon saariyaa ? :lol:

tfmlover
15th August 2006, 02:01 AM
Whyyyyyy..."sexy" aa nadakarthuku Saree thaan kattikinuma enna??!! :evil: :hammer: :angry2: :curse: :roll:

naan enna seiya :cry: movie la mohini pisaasu ellam vella saarila thaan vardu Lambretta..matha solunga

Lambretta
15th August 2006, 11:27 AM
naan enna seiya :cry: movie la mohini pisaasu ellam vella saarila thaan vardu Lambretta..matha solunga
Antha vishayam enaku theriyum....ana neenga vanthu penn-a irunthu eppidi Saree-ye poyi 'sexy' aa nenaikilam?? :angry2:
Pengale intha mathiri comment panna amblaiye kutthu kandipuduchalum enna prayojanum? :roll: :evil:

Hulkster
15th August 2006, 02:56 PM
Lamby naanum ithai vanmaiyaaga kandikkiraen...:yeppadi neengal saree la vanthaa sexya irukaanganu sollalam...miniskirt alluthu baniyan leh vanthaal sexya irukkum nu sollirukka vendum :angry2:

Tia
16th August 2006, 12:20 AM
oops ya that sentence is corrected now...it was a typo....exactly! now i know what people have been calling ME in the hub!!! i dont remember who but it was sum1 with an avatar where ajith wears white...he called me kuttichatan...had no clu wht it was then! :| :lol:

Ohhhhhhh thats what kuttichatan meanss!!! now i understand what a few ppl called me in the hub! :lol:
A few ppl including GAAYINI, I bet! :poke: :devil: :lol:

ramky
18th August 2006, 11:00 AM
Ramky... im first trying to see if ghosts are actually illusions of my mind or only appear if you believe they are there...even if i dunt believe and they still appear i will send u a PM abt it..provided the ghost leaves me alive :shaking:

Hulkster : if u give credence to them, then they will exist - for YOU ! and it will be very difficult to overcome fear of them. if this is just idle curiousity then its ok. but if some "ghost" or ghost-like thoughts are really troubling you, its better to find a solution - faast. nip it in the bud. i say this based on the personal experience of my friend so many years ago. it took quite some months to overcome his fears, and it also affected his studies.

Hulkster
18th August 2006, 01:30 PM
No such thoughts on my mind..although i am weak hearted by birth...have overcome that though :2thumbsup:

Lambretta
19th August 2006, 01:24 AM
Lamby naanum ithai vanmaiyaaga kandikkiraen...:yeppadi neengal saree la vanthaa sexya irukaanganu sollalam...miniskirt alluthu baniyan leh vanthaal sexya irukkum nu sollirukka vendum :angry2:
Anbulla Hougang Chandrasehar, ungalode um....support (exact Tamizh varthey nenaw varthilley :confused2: :roll: ) ku nanRi! :ty: :notworthy: :boo: :lol:

Lambretta
19th August 2006, 01:28 AM
oops ya that sentence is corrected now...it was a typo....exactly! now i know what people have been calling ME in the hub!!! i dont remember who but it was sum1 with an avatar where ajith wears white...he called me kuttichatan...had no clu wht it was then! :| :lol:
Ahaaaa......I c! :P :lol:

ramky
21st August 2006, 01:27 AM

tfmlover : inga pombalainga irukaaangappa :oops: apdi solla koodathu :-P