PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to India!!!!!!!!!

sheelanayar
16th December 2004, 08:39 AM
Hi all,
It is a wonderful forum site.Actually we r going back to India from USA for good mostly around March.So,i need information on what kind of things that we can take from here which we don't get there.Since i couldn't get the information throughout the net,i'm here.Hope you'll give me some suggestions.Thanks in advance.

Thiru
16th December 2004, 09:48 AM
Welcome Sheela...
Nowadays u get almost everything in India but obviously for a higher price.. I would say most of the kitchen things you get here might not be available in india.. like shelf liners, cutting trays, good knives, etc.. small things like shoe racks, lint removers etc are also useful.... U get all the electronic stuff there but the petty things which you use in your day to day life is hard to find there..

Sandeep
16th December 2004, 06:31 PM
You will get almost everything you get in US in India now a days. Ofcource there will be differences. But you will need to carry a hell not of patients (I dont think you can get that in US).

If you are going to a big city like chennai, mumbai etc then dont worry you will get everything.

adsort
16th December 2004, 07:58 PM
Nowadays you will find most of the items in USA are made from china. As a frequent visitor to India, I would say in India you will get these items for cheaper with even good quality. I would suggest these items:

1)Good digital handy cam (sony is better)
2)Dell/IBM Laptop (with good configuration)
3)Nice MP3 Player (iPod)

davie
17th December 2004, 06:26 AM
Nowadays you will find most of the items in USA are made from china. As a frequent visitor to India, I would say in India you will get these items for cheaper with even good quality. I would suggest these items:

1)Good digital handy cam (sony is better)
2)Dell/IBM Laptop (with good configuration)
3)Nice MP3 Player (iPod)
i dont think we can get any good latest laptop in india.
When i went to india, i was searching for an external drive for my laptop, or just a flash drive, those people have no clue what i am talking about.
More over in USA we have ebay.com to get anything and everything. In india ebay is not doing great./still a long way to go.
On the other hand there are lots of improvements too.

@sheela nair
If i were u i will get some nice digital cameras for my family, Mp3 players (storage in GB is great), laptops, palmtops, nice cotton tshirts, georgio armani suits, ill tell u later ive to think

Dr. Veena
17th December 2004, 01:59 PM
Hi Sheela, you have an intelligent question there.

Most eatables like Tang, Nescafe, Nido Milk Powder, Chocolates, butter cookies etc are available in Duty paid shops. So are soaps, perfumes, Talcum powder etc.

Even artificial flowers, baby products, showpieces etc are available here but at a much higher price.

You get everything here except the life style!

Autumn
17th December 2004, 04:22 PM
Dear Sheela,

Most all the things are available in India ... what India lacks in certain places is the infrastructure and reliability. For example, you do get diapers in India ... but, the chemist near your house may just have a couple of packs stored somewhere on a dusty shelf and will charge you at his whim. And you may find that the diapers inside are of a very poor quality and the sticky bits do not stick, come what may. I am speaking from experience.

The large shopping malls are full of goods. So are some of the food stores. But, they are few and far between. And very disorganized as far as restocking is concerned. It goes without saying that the arrangement on the aisles will be nowhere close to your regular grocery store. It will all be very foreign to your eyes. Could get very frustrating.

Be very careful where you use your debit card. Check your account regularly. Swiping twice is a common card crime in India. Most shops/businesses accept plastic now a days but, majority of the shop owners will discourage you from using them because, electronic transactions keep them from tax evasion.

Also, do remember to take an international driving license with you. I would also advise you to take with you the make-up items you have been using lately. Not to mention again that the stuff you are used to MAY be available in India … but, you may have to hunt for it.

But, not to discourage you ... I just would like to remind you, that what you do not get in the US is India herself ... which I am sure you are well aware of and which is why you chose to move.

Good luck and hope you will get used to it soon.

Love Autumn