PDA

View Full Version : Indian Independence Day

ajithfederer
14th August 2006, 11:28 PM
Use this thread to discuss about the Indian freedom struggle

I convey my Independence day wishes to all Indians living throughout the world...... :)

I salute all the leaders and followers who were instrumental in bringing freedom to India...... :)

Rohit
22nd August 2006, 12:31 AM
This is really alarming to observe the number of responses in this thread, which is none; and the number of views, which is 140 at this point in time. To me, it sadly indicates that people are too sceptical about the Indian independence to celebrate it with fellow Indians on personal level in public domains such as this forum. Can anyone throw some light on why people are not interested in this historic occasion that celebrates the Indian freedom from 1000s of years of foreign slavery? :(

goodsense
2nd September 2006, 02:01 AM
It's for the same reason, a few months back, one in search of a thread on Ghandiji couldn't find any :( :oops:

Rohit
2nd September 2006, 03:04 AM
It is still alarming to observe the number of responses in this thread, which is 3; and the number of views, which is 174 at this point in time. To me, it sadly indicates that people are too sceptical about the Indian independence to celebrate it with fellow Indians on personal level in public domains such as this forum. Can anyone throw some light on why people are not interested in this historic occasion that celebrates the Indian freedom from 1000s of years of foreign slavery? :(

goodsense
2nd September 2006, 03:11 AM
Well we celebrated by raising the Indian flag (done by some special people from both sides) alongside ours in Richmondhill Ontario next to the bronze statute of Mahatma Ghandiji and his local cotton spinning tool. This celebration was done close to the celebration of Sri Krishna Janmashtami since the timings of them both were so close. Presents were also sent from and to India. The flags are still flying in Richmondhill (8640 Young Street) which will be a permanent thing :D

Rohit
2nd September 2006, 05:53 PM
Is the Indian Independence just an illusion? (Please highlight the full line)

Tragically, the most probable answer is Yes.

India has not gained independence form the shackles of superstitions and blind beliefs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060824/lf_afp/indiareligionoffbeat

http://www.rationalistinternational.net/article/2006/20060826/en_1.html

http://www.newkerala.com/news4.php?action=fullnews&id=9732

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/print.asp?page=2006%5C08%5C25%5Cstory_25-8-2006_pg4_22

http://www.rediff.com/news/2003/nov/04spec.htm

goodsense
4th September 2006, 06:57 AM
Some ignorant people like me may find this interesting wink:

http://www.panoramatv.ca/panorama/panorama.php?video=013%20Manu%20Chitrahaar%20%28Se pt%2002%29/video.wmv

ajithfederer
4th September 2006, 09:46 AM
Rohit i think many people dont visit this place frequently thats why no one is ready 2 reply or share their wishes...... :roll:

even look at me ..........i just created this thread but i never had time nor took the time to come here....... :hammer: @ me

Rohit
4th September 2006, 11:41 PM
You maybe right Ajithfederer; people don’t seem to have time for such things. :(

skanthan
5th September 2006, 06:55 PM
jana gaNa mana adhinaayaka jaya hai
bhaarata bhagya vidhaataa
panjaab sindhu gujaraata maraaThaa
draviRa utkaala vangaa
vindhya himaachala yamunaa ganga
ucchhala jal;adhi tarangaa
tava shubha naame jage
tava shubha aashishha mage
gaahe tava jaya gaaathaa
jana gaNa mangaLa daayaka jaya hai
jaya hai jaya hai jaya hai
jaya jaya jaya jaya hai

:D

Arthi
5th September 2006, 07:08 PM
jana gaNa mana adhinaayaka jaya hai
panjaab sindhu gujaraata maraaThaa
draviRa utkaala vangaa
vindhya himaachala yamunaa ganga
ucchhala jal;adhi tarangaa
tava shubha naame jage
tava shubha aashishha mage
gaahe tava jaya gaaathaa
jana gaNa mangaLa daayaka jaya hai
jaya hai jaya hai jaya hai
jaya jaya jaya jaya hai
:D
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Jai Hind :)

Rohit
6th September 2006, 12:10 AM
Well done!

It looks, posting/singing the national anthem once a year seems to do the trick even when it is incorrectly worded/sung.

goodsense
6th September 2006, 08:00 AM
http://travel.vsnl.com/toursindia/anthem.html

This should be correct. 8-)

SRS
7th September 2006, 12:01 AM
Atheism is not patriotism. :lol:

Rohit
7th September 2006, 01:12 AM
:shhh:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Manmadha Rasa
13th September 2006, 01:58 AM
How about we start with Tamil Freedom Fighters...

Thirupur Kumaran.

Lets Discuss Him. 8-)

ajithfederer
14th September 2006, 07:35 PM
Kodi Katha Kumaran :)

Irakkum tharuvayilum kodiyae thangi pudithavar nnu tamil book la padichathu than nalla nyabagam irukku :(

Rohit
16th September 2006, 12:23 AM
For those who may not know the Indian National Symbols

National Flag: The Indian National Flag has three colours, saffron on the top, white in the middle and green at the bottom. In the centre of the white band, there is a wheel with 24 spokes in navy blue to indicate the Dharma Chakra, which represents the wheel of law in the Sarnath Lion Capital.

National Anthem: Jana gana mana..........is India's National Anthem.

National Emblem: The National Emblem of India is a replica of the Lion of Sarnath, near Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh. The Lion Capital was erected in the third century BC by emperor Ashoka to mark the spot where Buddha first proclaimed his gospel of peace and emancipation to the four quarters of the universe.

National Bird: Peacock is India's National Bird.

National Animal: Bengal Tiger is Indian's National Animal.

National Flower: Lotus is India's National Flower. The lotus is sacred for the Buddhists according to Buddhist legends.

National Tree: The Indian fig tree is India's National Tree.

National Fruit: Mango is India's National Fruit.

podalangai
16th September 2006, 12:43 AM
Thirupur Kumaran.

Lets Discuss Him. 8-)
GoTN has a webpage about Tiruppur Kumaran:

http://www.tn.gov.in/tamiltngov/memorial/tprkum.htm

You need a TAM font to read the webpage. Has anyone visited his ninaivakam in Tiruppur?

kannannn
16th September 2006, 01:02 AM
For those who may not know the Indian National Symbols

National Flag: The Indian National Flag has three colours, saffron on the top, white in the middle and green at the bottom. In the centre of the white band, there is a wheel with 24 spokes in navy blue to indicate the Dharma Chakra, which represents the wheel of law in the Sarnath Lion Capital.

It may sound ridiculous, but not everyone is well versed in our national symbols. When there was a discussion on national flags among my friends here, one of the Indians went on to describe with great passion and emotion what turned out to be the pre-independence flag of the congress party. It was not until we pointed out with some embarassment that it was the Ashok Chakra and not the spinning wheel that he understood his mistake. He still claims to have erred at the heat of the moment, but whatever!!

Rohit
16th September 2006, 01:31 AM
It may sound ridiculous, but not everyone is well versed in our national symbols.Yes Kannannn, it is indeed, but tragically so.

Rohit
16th September 2006, 02:20 AM
Kannannn, you must be Steve Irwin – the crocodile hunter fan. Sadly he won’t be doing what he did the best. How tragic!

SRS
18th September 2006, 07:49 AM
Friends, Indian history is the greatest in the world! In ancient times, only the Atlantis civilization was more technologically advanced. If one judges by the modern history, then one is very narrow-minded indeed, or to say the least, naive. Maybe Gandhi won the independence through non-violence, but our books tell us the gods fought with atomic weapons (as the Mahendro-Jaro and other such places will evidence), thunderbolts, etc. Do not judge a society by superficial economic standards; today's poor were yesterday's slaves; the greatness of a society/civilization does not rest on charitable contributions for Dalits. And also, every civilization has its rise and fall; maybe it is not as powerful as it is was yesterday, but that is the same for any civilization; what you percieve as powerful today will be trivial in the eyes of the next great power.

"Gurkha flying in his swift and powerful Vimana hurled against the three cities of the Vrishis and Andhakas a single projectile charged with all the power of the Universe. An incandescent column of smoke and fire, as brilliant as ten thousands suns, rose in all its splendor. It was the unknown weapon, the Iron Thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death which reduced to ashesthe entire race of the Vrishnis and Andhakas."

- Mahabharata

Rohit
19th September 2006, 01:54 AM
shhh!

SRS
19th September 2006, 06:02 AM
Sorry atheist chap, very few are content to buy your "peacocks, mango, and fig" view of history. The true version is a little more dynamic than that!

Rohit
19th September 2006, 11:44 AM
shhh!