PDA

View Full Version : Naturopathy

Alan
22nd August 2006, 05:35 PM
I am on Naturopathy treatment for obesity- I am 28 kilos overweight!

I would like to know if anyone else has been on such treatments & the results of the same. This is a combo of Ayurvedic & Naturopathic treatments. I have completed the second day of massage, medicines & self-control!

dev
22nd August 2006, 10:08 PM
My aunt was on such a treatment and lost a few kgs... But later she was back to square one coz she didn't have much control on her diet & also not much of physical activity.

Anoushka
23rd August 2006, 04:23 PM
Alan, I don't know about Naturopathy.... but I've lost weight using, diet control and exercise! I do eat ice cream and sweets, but in limited portions and not regularly :) I watch what I eat... it is difficult initially but then it becomes second nature :)

Alan
23rd August 2006, 08:02 PM
Yes, I know that you & your hubby are very health- conscious, Anoushka & I really admire you for that! I can never say bye to good food & you know how Punjabi food is na, its loaded with calories! *sigh* I'll have to restrict to fat-free cooking from now on.

sowmeia
23rd August 2006, 08:14 PM
Alan,

U dont have to miss out on good food to eat healthy..its a good thing that u like cooking and trying new recipes..look at it this way, u r better off than people who buy prepared foods/eat out.

Using less oil and baking instead of frying are some of the common ways to avoid high calorie food...and u really dont lose much flavour.. I always look out for new recipes and ways to modify them. ..fat free cooking is not bad at all

Good luck.

dev
24th August 2006, 07:41 AM
I watch what I eat... it is difficult initially but then it becomes second nature :)

Yeah... good eating habits should become a second nature... else there is not going to be much use...

As sowmeia said, most of the traditional dishes can be made using very little oil... not much change in taste... But I warn you not to use too little oil... a min of 3 teaspoons=1 tbsp=15 ml per person should be taken... this is very much essential for the normal functioning of our system...So don't try to make ur kitchen fat free... make it low fat...:) but avoid ghee/butter/coconut/coconut oil/full cream milk/paneer made out of full cream milk... these tend to increase one's cholesterol levels...

Alan
25th August 2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks sowmeia & dev! I think I'll invest in a good microwave , after this.

dev
25th August 2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks sowmeia & dev! I think I'll invest in a good microwave , after this.

Better go for a conventional oven... it works well for making crispy items like fried vegs, samosas,pakodas etc... microwave oven doesn't give crispness to the dish... it's more used for cooking stuffs fast...

sowmeia
25th August 2006, 11:18 PM
Hi Alan,

I recommend a a combination oven..u get the best of both worlds in that..

In the US, we have a oven attached to our cooking range for most baking/broiling. Microwaves are seperate pieces of equipment in which we mostly reheat food,partially cook vegetables, etc.

But In India people usually buy a convection oven to bake and microwave in the same machine. If you want to do serious baking, I would get a fairly big sized combination oven. My knowledge of indian combination ovens is limited but here's a link to the kind of machine I am talking about -

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~PAN-NNA873S.htm

Its a very good investment..U can prepare most foods in this..For eg. if u want to make a curry, U could microwave the vegetables until half cooked and then proceed on the stove with your recipe.
Since your vegetables are half cooked, they'll cook faster on the stove and will also be healthier. U will need just one spoon of oil to make your normal curry if made this way

Give me any recipe and I can tell you a healthier version for it..If I cant, I am sure there are enough people on this forum who can :)

Alan
26th August 2006, 05:55 PM
Sigh! Feeling so EXHAUSTED after a 36 hr fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But happy that I've lost 3 kgs in 6 days!!!!! No visible change yet!

God I'm craving for some snack!

ayeshasadique
27th August 2006, 06:32 PM
3 kgs in 6 days!!!... OMG, Alan, take care...its not good to go crash dieting and losing weight ....much weight.... in such a brief period...

Alan
27th August 2006, 09:31 PM
GOOD LORD- They make me swallow a spoonful of some stupid Ayurvedic Oil first thing in the morning & another green oil at 2 pm (3 tsps) - Its so sick that makes me want to puke- I've developed an aversion for oily snacks because of this- perhaps this was their intention!