PDA

View Full Version : Oil free dishes

Alan
22nd August 2006, 07:04 PM
Pls post recipes of oil free vegetable curries that can be had with rice & chappatis.

bingleguy
22nd August 2006, 07:28 PM
:clap: good one .... will constantly have a look here :-) to find ones suited to me !

solona
23rd August 2006, 03:55 AM
Alan,

use Olive oil instead of groundnut or dalda, even sesame oil is quite good as it has the good cholesterol. Don't forget olive oil id also and oil so use moderatly.
Use nonstick cookwares so that you canuse less oil, for oil the frying stuff just pour atablespoon of olive oil on the stuff you want to fry and cook in the oven, I even cook samosas in oven, it is quite good.
You can also replace poriyals an sautes with pachadi stuff, eat a lot of steamed veggies.
You can cook almost any curry with less oil or replacing the oil with olive, at first the taste will be not that good but later you will get used.
It seems that heated oil is very bad for health so when you fry use minimum (say a teaspoon of oil) and then add the rest (a tablespoon ) at then end when you simmer and turn off the gravy.

Anoushka
23rd August 2006, 04:26 PM
Alan, I've stopped deep frying my pakodas completely! I use the oven instead, every thing else is the same except instead of frying, I use oven proof vessels and put them in the oven with a little olive oil drizzled over :) Specially pakodas for kadi or kofta curries comes out brilliant! :)

Alan
23rd August 2006, 06:14 PM
Thankyou all for responding! We need to get this going- this awareness & a better lifestyle- I know some of you are already into it- But for ppl like me who has always been very careless & been using butter & ghee, this is a bitter lesson, because my Serum Cholosterol is on the brim- 200!!!!!

Anoushka
25th August 2006, 06:49 PM
Alan, avoid eating red meat as much as possible, eat fish or chicken instead, try and avoid the yellow part of the egg as well.

I know it is difficult to change food habits all of a sudden, but give it a try. :)

dev
25th August 2006, 08:24 PM
Alan, avoid eating red meat as much as possible, eat fish or chicken instead, try and avoid the yellow part of the egg as well.

I know it is difficult to change food habits all of a sudden, but give it a try. :)

:roll: I thought alan takes only vegetarian food... :roll:

seagull
25th August 2006, 10:29 PM
Hi ! Very useful topic this.

Alan
26th August 2006, 06:06 PM
dev, you are right- My wife & I are pure vegetarians but we do have egg occasionally.

ayeshasadique
27th August 2006, 06:46 PM
i saw an oil free tomato kadhi made by chef sanjeev kapoor, i dont exactly remember the recipe, but it was something like this..

blanched, pureed tomatoes - 2 cups
(my addition : grind them along with a green chilli and a little ginger)
1 to 2 tbsp of besan flour diluted with some water
red chilli powder
cumin powder
hing
curry leaves
salt

in a non stick pan , without oil, splutter mustard, cumin and add all the ingredients and let simmer till thickened.

note:
i added a cup of steamed , mixed veggies too...

Alan, i hope u like this.. :)

Alan
28th August 2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks a lot, Ayesha- but can mustard be spluttered without even a drop of oil? I 'll have to try this out soon.

Anoushka
28th August 2006, 06:06 PM
Sorry Alan/Dev, didn't realise that you don't take meat :) my mistake!

Alan
28th August 2006, 09:10 PM
Its ok, Anoushka!

ayeshasadique
31st August 2006, 09:10 PM
DRUMSTICK SOUP
a different soup....
got this from a diabetes research centre's recipe booklet

pressure cook the following

2 drumsticks chopped
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp of moong dal
1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds
1 tomato

mash and strain; and add salt, pepper and cumin powders. serve piping hot.

ayeshasadique
31st August 2006, 09:16 PM
WHITE PUMPKIN SOUP

blend the following

1/2 cup of white pumpkin
1 cucumber
1 tomato
a small piece ginger
2 mint leaves

strain; add lemon juice and salt n pepper. serve chilled.

sudhakarthik
31st August 2006, 09:27 PM
Hi Anouska,

Can you please tell me the oven settings for making pakodas and koftas. I tried once,looked cooked on outside but was uncooked inside. So, if you can tell me how you do it I can try again.

Thanks in advance,

Sudha :D

ayeshasadique
31st August 2006, 09:42 PM
Chana Masala

pressure cook the following till well cooked:
chick peas - 1 cup, soaked
onion - 1, chopped
tomato - 2, pureed
coriander powder - 2 tsp
cumin powder - 1 tsp
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
red chilli powder - 1 tsp
garam masala - 1/2 tsp
amchur -1/2 tsp
salt
ginger paste - 1 tsp
garlic - 1 tsp

after cooked, garnish with coriander leaves and drizzle lemon juice.

Sowmya
2nd September 2006, 07:27 AM
Hi Alan
Chef Sanjeev kapoor has launched a new book titled "oil free dishes" y'day.There is a total veg version as well.
You can get a glimpse of the contents in his website. :)

May be you can have a look at it.

Regards
Sowmya

Alan
3rd September 2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks a lot , Ayesha. I'll def try out your Channa masala soon.

Thanks for the website link, Sowmya! :D

ayeshasadique
5th September 2006, 10:29 PM
veggie kofta kadhi

vegtable koftas can be baked instead of frying , and added to the usual tomato kadhi without oil

use grated cabbage, grated carrots, and other veggies binded with mashed potatoes and seasoning.
heat oven to 220 degrees and bake the flat veggie patties till crispy, turning once in between
make kadhi, and add just before serving.

Alan
9th September 2006, 06:53 AM
Ayesha, I tried your Chana Masala yesterday evening - It came out really tasty ! Today, I'll be making your Tomato Kadhi. Do share in more of your OIl-free Recipes here. Thankyou!

ayeshasadique
10th September 2006, 09:24 AM
oilfree aloo palak

boiled, cubed potatoes - 2
spinach leaves - 2 cups, cooked and chopped
onion, finely chopped - 1
garlic, finely minced - 2 to 4 cloves
ginger, grated - 2 tsp
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
chilli powder - 1 tsp (if adding green chillis, omit chilli powder)
tomato - 1, ground
cumin seeds - 2tsp
salt

1. use non stick pan and add cumin.when it splutters, add the onion and sweat without burning.
2. add all other items, except potatoes and palak.
3. when raw smell is gone, add potatoes and spinach. simmer. add water if necessary.
4. serve hot.

Alan
11th September 2006, 02:24 PM
Hey thanks, Ayesha! Will try that soon.

Alan
17th September 2006, 09:46 PM
Ayesha, tried ur oil free Aloo Palak- came out EXCELLENT! !!!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot!Looking forward to more Oil-free dishes from you, Madam!

Anoushka
17th September 2006, 10:17 PM
Hi Anouska,

Can you please tell me the oven settings for making pakodas and koftas. I tried once,looked cooked on outside but was uncooked inside. So, if you can tell me how you do it I can try again.

Thanks in advance,

Sudha :D

Sudha, don't keep the oven on high, instead cook longer in low heat...

ayeshasadique
17th September 2006, 11:09 PM
happy to be of some help, Alan :)

ayeshasadique
17th September 2006, 11:54 PM
OILFREE GOBI MUSALLAM

small gobi - 6 nos, with stems trimmed
onions - 2
garlic paste - 2 tsp
ginger paste - 2 tsp
green chilli paste - 1 tsp
tomato - 2 , blanched, deseeded and ground/ or use 1/4 cup of ready made tomato puree

skimmed milk - 5 tbsp/ more as required
salt

use 6 very small whole cauliflowers /or u can cut two bigger ones into 4 pieces each
steam cook the gobi along with the large whole onions till half done. reserve the gobi, and grind the onion coarsely.

dry roast and powder the following
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
coriander seeds - 2 tsp
cardamom - 3
cinnamon - 2 sticks
cloves - 6 nos.
black peppercorns - 6 nos.
shah jeera - 1/4 tsp

turmeric - 1/4 tsp
chilli powder - 1 tsp
yogurt - 1 cup (tie in a muslin cloth and hang for sometime till the whey oozes and the yogurt is thickened)

1. heat a non stick sauce pan and add the onion , chilli, ginger and garlic pastes and saute.when cooked add all the dry powders.
2. add tomato paste/puree and cook till raw smell is gone.
3. add gobi and salt.
4. add milk and yogurt. cover and dum on very low heat till the flavour infuses into the gobi.
5. garnish with chopped coriander and serve.

ayeshasadique
18th September 2006, 12:22 AM
OIL FREE BAIGAN BHARTHA

baigan - 1 extra large :)
charcoal grill till brown, peel off skin and chop/ or cover with foil, place in preheated oven at 250 degrees for 30 minutes, cool and chop.

1 onion, finely chopped
grated ginger - 1 tbsp
minced garlic - 5 cloves
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
green chili - 1 chopped
coriander leaves - 3 tbsp , chopped
tomato - 1, chopped
salt
cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
coriander powder - 1 tsp
lemon juice - as much as needed :)

1. heat a non stick pan over
medium heat and add onion, ginger , garlic, turmeric and salt.
2. when it turns brown, add chili and coriander leaves. then add chopped tomatoes.
3. when cooked , add the spices and chopped brinjal.
4. cook till all is mixed up well. drizzle lemon juice and serve.

Alan
18th September 2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks a lot, Ayesha- I'll let you know the results after trying these out.

Alan
1st October 2006, 01:54 PM
veggie kofta kadhi

vegtable koftas can be baked instead of frying , and added to the usual tomato kadhi without oil

use grated cabbage, grated carrots, and other veggies binded with mashed potatoes and seasoning.
heat oven to 220 degrees and bake the flat veggie patties till crispy, turning once in between
make kadhi, and add just before serving.

will be trying this soon

Thattai
17th November 2006, 03:32 PM
If others browsing this thread do not mind is it okay if oil free non veg recipes are also posted here? Do not recall any myself, but would love to hear from others who have experimented.

The only veggie thing that I do oil free is soup. Basically, i take any combination of veggies that I have. I always use onion and potato as it gives a good consistency. Chop all the veggies. throw into cooker with minimal water. Add some peppercorns, cloves, bay leaf and some haldi if desired. Cook well. Cool. remove the seasonings. Cool and grind to desired consistency. Add water or skimmed milk as desired. Heat. Season with salt, pepper, lemon and/or dried italian herbs.

To make it even more healthy, I sometimes cook some quick cooking oats in the base puree and then add water/ milk as desired.

I've even added diff types of pastas as variations. If you want any one particular taste to dominate, just add larger quantities of that veggie and cut out everything else other than onion and potato. Even my baby likes this soup. IN fact, this is the only way she'll eat her veggies!!! :D

Kz
17th November 2006, 08:36 PM
I bake fish instead of frying, it comes out good.just apply very little oil. broil for few minutes beforetaking it out. i do the same for chicken too ,marinades are as usual as for frying.
Kz

sanravi
25th January 2007, 08:08 PM
hey

U can make different kootu for chapatis. Like cabbage kootu, beans, also u can make aviyal and chow chow kootu. All u need is only 1 spoon of oil for seasoning,of course, u need to add coconut for this dish.

Alan
10th March 2007, 02:47 PM
Keep this coming!

I want to try these oil free recipes as B is gaining weight in alarming proportions.

dev
12th March 2007, 06:30 AM
Alan, if U r trying to make her diet absolutely oil free, please think twice before you do so... coz oil too is essential for the proper functioning of the body... use atleast 3 tsp of oil/day...A better way to keep her weight under control is to limit the carb intake ...Eat healthy, live better...:)

dsath
12th March 2007, 10:17 PM
An oil free dish (more of a salad) for Chapattis.

1.Boiled chickpeas.
2.Thinly sliced red onions (sambhar onions are very good)
3.Cucumber (cut into small pieces).
4.Carrot (grated or cut into small pieces)
5.Chopped Coriander and curry leaves.
6.Chopped green chilles.
7.Lemon juice.

Mix up all the above and there you have your oil free dish.
The chickpeas could be substituted with other types of peas and lentils (green gram works well too). Also you could add more veggies like broad beans and roasted peppers (oil free of course). If you want to cross the border and add in a bit more taste, make a dressing of olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice and mix it at last.
Other variations that work are adding a bit of Feta cheese (it adds sharpness) or adding some grated parmesan or add some more herbs like mint and basil.

You can improvise according to your taste.