PDA

View Full Version : Rasam powder

Chitra Anand
23rd August 2006, 04:16 PM
Can anyone pls give the recipe for home made brahmin rasam powder :)

Nichiro
28th August 2006, 08:34 AM
Mr. Vishwanath Kamath is an unsung master chef specializing in South Indian (Karnataka) Brahmin cuisine. He works for a caterer.

Iyengars are a group of people having distinctly different language, food habits and their culture.

Iyengar Rasam , sambar and Puliodhirais are loved by one and all.
I am bringing Mr. Kamath's first recipe of Iyengar Rasam Powder.

INGREDIENTS

Fenugreek......... 60 gms
Jeera............ .....70 gms
Black pepper...... 45 gms
Dhania .......... ...150 gms
Salem chillies.... ...75gms
Bedagi chillies.... ..75gms
Mustard........... ....15gms
Real Asafoetida....2 pinches
Curry leaves...... ..2 sprigs
Turmeric ........ ......1/2 tsp
Cooking oil............1.5 tbsp

Method Of Preparation

Take an Iron Kadai and first dry roast, Fenugreek,Jeera and Mustard. Roast till Fenugreek
becomes pinkish brown and mustard starts popping.Remove from Kadai and let them cool.

Now add oil in Kadai and first put Black pepper. Once black pepper starts bursting,
add chillies and Dhania and Turmeric roots (Piece them before putting for frying).
Go on turning with a spatula to give equal frying.
Once chillies assume a silken shine on the surface, immediately add curry leaves.
Turn three four times and remove from kadai and immediately spread on a polythene sheet/cloth.
Once the mixture becomes cold, add Hing (Asafoetida) and powder.

Note:
In bulk or home usage, chillies stalk is not to be removed.
Enjoy this powder for preparation of Iyengar Rasam.

waaza
28th August 2006, 02:36 PM
Hello Nichiro,
I'm just back from a trip to Bangalore, with a case half full of chillies. The recipe above is one of the few I've seen where the variety is mentioned. As I have now sampled a 'Bangalore' rasam, I have a need to duplicate it in the UK, so your posting is very timely.

BTW, work has begun with revamping the 'chillies-of-India' website (never really got off the ground due to various reasons), but I hope to get something up quite soon.
kindest regards
Waaza

Nichiro
28th August 2006, 05:14 PM
waaza my friend,

Long time since I heard from you. Sorry I missed you as I have shifted to USA since April.

Try this Rasam powder and you would love it for ever.

Nichiro

Chitra Anand
1st September 2006, 04:43 AM
thanks nichiro.