PDA

View Full Version : Soya Recipes

Alan
21st September 2006, 12:24 PM
Can you give me some oil-free Soya Recipes fr Chappathi Curries? Can the Soya chunks/balls available in the mkt be relied upon, in terms of quality?

dev
21st September 2006, 12:26 PM
Shakti soya used to be good... not sure if u can get it in the northern part of India...

southiecook
21st September 2006, 05:40 PM
Nutrela brand is good. Try to buy a branded one for more reliability.

Oil free recipe for Chapathies: Soak soya chunks in hot water for 15 minutes, drain and wash in cold water. Squeeze out excess water. Now, grind together one tomato (sliced), 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and a small piece of ginger. Heat this mixture in a wok, and when it boils, add the soya chunks. Mix well, add salt to taste and keep covered for a few minutes. Stir occasionally. Finally, add 1/2 a glass of fat free milk, if desired. Bring to a boil. If you like, you could add a pinch of garam masala & chilli powder also when grinding the tomato.

Alan
21st September 2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks a lot, southiecook_ I'll try this out this weekend itself!

ayeshasadique
22nd September 2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.ruchihealth.com/recipes.htm

just modify the recipes you like, by cutting out the oil/ or just using 1 tsp of oil.......

Alan
24th September 2006, 09:55 PM
Today, after soaking the soya balls for about 1/2 an hr, I pressure cooked it & put it in the curry- somehow, it still had a raw taste- how to get rid of this?

dev
25th September 2006, 07:16 AM
Today, after soaking the soya balls for about 1/2 an hr, I pressure cooked it & put it in the curry- somehow, it still had a raw taste- how to get rid of this?

Squeeze out all water from the soya balls after cooking & wash it in cold water & squeeze again... repeat twice or thrice... then marinate it in whatever spices u r using for an hr or so... then proceed as u normally do...I normally cut the soya chunks into 2 before marinating...

Another option is to try soya granules...as these are very small sized balls, these absord the masalas well & doesn't smell raw... for these, just cook in lots of salted water ... squeeze... put it in cold water once & squeeze... marinating in spices is optional but they taste much better if done...

Soya chunks in sambar tastes great!!!...No need of marination for this recipe...

Alan
26th September 2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the tip, dev!

friend4u
7th October 2006, 08:34 AM
thanks a lot for these ideas