PDA

View Full Version : Navraathri Special

Shoba
23rd September 2006, 05:17 PM
Nine nights of remembering and celebrating the essence of Goddesses starts today. Lots of music, performing arts, visiting neighbours...Exchange of pleasantries, checking out the golu(an artistic arrangement of hand crafted dolls depicting the life in one's society), and of course, tossing out diet plans and indulging in sweets & savouries :D !

Lets's post here what we cook during the 9 days of Navraathri, starting with Day 1.

Savoury: White channa dal sundal: Soak the dal overnight, pressure cook it till done. Heat oil, burst mustard seeds, add bits of dry chilli & curry leaves, when the fragrance of dry chilli & curry leaves comes out add the cooked dal, salt, a pinch of asfoetida, stir well, cover and cook for a couple of minutes. Add grated coconut at the end.

Sweet: Ari-paayasam. Broil raw rice till colour changes to ivory white. Add water and allow to cook. Add sugar and when the consistencey begins to thicken, start adding milk bit by bit. When the colour changes to creamy white, the paayasam is ready. Add cardamom & a pinch of pachcha karpooram (camphor in it's very raw form)

Waiting to hear from y'all!

Shoba

Alan
24th September 2006, 09:56 PM
Sounds yum- Are you a brahmin, ShobaMadam?

Shoba
25th September 2006, 08:19 AM
Sounds yum- Are you a brahmin, ShobaMadam?

Why do you ask, Alan...?

Shoba

Shoba
25th September 2006, 08:31 AM
Day 2:

Polished cherupayar (yellow moong dal/ paasi paruppu) sundal: Soak the cherupayar, wash well and cook it with enough water. I dont pressure cook, as it would end up mushy. We need each dal separate but cooked. It takes max 5 minutes if you boil it. Drain water after cooking. Burst mustard, finely cut green chilli, curry leaves, add the cherupayar, salt & asfoetida. Stir well & add grated coconut.

Kadalaparuppu(bengal gram, split chana dal) Paayasam: Soak kadalaparuppu, wash well and cook till tender. Add jaggery (palm sugar) and let it boil till the fragrance of jaggery comes out. Add milk (usually coconut milk is added, but that's for festive occassions) gradually until the colour changes to creamy white and consistency is creamy. Remove from heat. Add cardamom.

Anybody else doing anything nice..?

Shoba

Alan
26th September 2006, 08:15 AM
Well, I know you are a Keralite- in kerala, Brahmins celebrate Navaratri more elaborately than the others.Am I right?

RS
28th September 2006, 02:53 PM
You could also try the sweet and savoury with the green whole moong.

Just the way you described the yellow mung...the same method...just that it would be better if you soak the moong dal and pressure cook.

Similarly you can use kadalai also (the pachha kadalai (ground nut i mean) peas sundal, brown kadalai (the ones used for puttu and kadalai curry, channa dal (kadalai paruppu sundal) soak and pressure cook in sim and make the similar way)

For sweet: you could cook the moong and add it to the vella paagu with cardomom and coconut....

I also remember amma making maaladu (or just pottu kadalai podi with sugar and cardomom) and distribute to the kids who used to accompany their parents home for navarathri.

Anybody else...?