PDA

View Full Version : Oscar awards

kamalsurya
26th September 2006, 02:30 PM
[tscii:fb37eff460]
No surprise, it is Aamir khan again to the Oscars. Aamir khan’s Rang De Basanti is India's nomination for the Oscars this time. Directed by Rakesh Mehra and produced by Rakesh Mehra, Deven Khote, Ronnie Screwvala raced past Omkara and Lage Raho Munna Bhai as India's entry to the Oscars. Mohan Lal’s Thanmatra (Malayalam) was also in the race. But Rang De Basanti edged out all the competitors to emerge as a clear winner.
Aamir Khan

Talking about the corruption in today's politics and comparing it with the era of Bhagat Singh, the director and the entire crew did a great job in making the movie a mega success across the nation and also beyond the borders. The screen play of the movie deserves a special mention. Not to mention the work of A.R.Rehman. The maestro had once again made all of us down south proud with his mind blowing music. This film had a lot of crew members from the south including Madhavan, Siddharth, Raju Sundaram, Chitra, Naresh Iyer and A.R.Rehman.

In all, there is no other movie more deserving than Rang De Basanti to represent India this time at the Oscars. Entering Oscars is in itself a battle won but the actual battle is to begin now. We wish the film and its crew all the very best at the Oscars.

:clap: :clap: :redjump: :bluejump:

Indian flim getting reconigtion on the international stage....What do u guys think of the noimation Rang De Basanti? :wink: [/tscii:fb37eff460]

Surya
26th September 2006, 02:47 PM
I love Rand De Basanthi! But to be nominated for an Oscar? :roll: Hmm....:roll:

groucho070
26th September 2006, 03:38 PM
Its okay. Its free for all in Oscar these days. I mean, even Halle Berry can win, can she?

MADDY
26th September 2006, 05:05 PM
Surya, RDB has got rave reviews in the west.......there were standing ovations for this film in film festivals.....so, with a bit of investment, this movie can win the oscars itself......i'm very positive that this movie will have a huge impact on westerners way of thinking abt Indian movies....

r_o_j_a
26th September 2006, 05:08 PM
i think rdb deserves to represent india for oscar nominations.
loved the movie

nilavupriyan
26th September 2006, 05:32 PM
its all abt the way we handle judges i guess...

whats there in "crouching tiger hidden dragon"..can anyone specify uts greatness

P_R
26th September 2006, 08:39 PM
its all abt the way we handle judges i guess...

whats there in "crouching tiger hidden dragon"..can anyone specify uts greatness To be even more precise, what is there Crouching Tiger that it 'towered' over Hey ! Ram (which didn't even get nominated).

Alien
26th September 2006, 08:49 PM
yeah, true .... I donno how that crocuhing tiger and hidden drgaon got it? ! :? ..... I think Amorreos Perros was also nominated that year , but crouching .. :confused2: ... They prolli felt it necessary to award a Chinese(Asian) movie the Oscar ...... :? ..... I think from India, Hey Ram must have been the best bet in the last decade or so ! .(I mean among the popular ones, haven't seen those offbeat ones .... )....... and it wasn't even sent .... But I feel RDB has a chance this time arnd, that is, if they feel the necessity to award an Indian movie the Oscar .... 8-)

P_R
26th September 2006, 11:55 PM
CTHD, if I remember right, was a huge hit in the US. It was running for the main oscars as well as the foreign language category.
Ang Lee was nominated for Best Director. It was actually nominated for Best Picture (won by Gladiator), Editing,Costumes, Adapted Screenplay.
They won it for Music Score,Cinematography and Art Direction.

It is not a bad film (considering Gladiator -re. which my opinions are mild- was the film of the year). But defeating Hey ! Ram is :confused2: I think they made it up by nominating Lagaan next year :P

Nerd
27th September 2006, 12:23 AM
But that movie, beating amores perros is something to think of. Amores perros is one of my most favourite movies and its a cult classic 8-) Its a shame that it had to lose to crouching..

MADDY
27th September 2006, 12:58 AM
It is not a bad film (considering Gladiator -re. which my opinions are mild- was the film of the year). But defeating Hey ! Ram is :confused2: I think they made it up by nominating Lagaan next year :P

dont tell me that "Lagaan" was nominated just to make up for not selecting Hey ram... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Alien, Lagaan was the best chance in history of Indian nominations.......FYI Hey Ram was not even in the last 5.......and u r already making up reasons for a probable-oscar for RDB......so once RDB gets an award u all will say they gave it bcos they wanted to give it for a indian movie and not that RDB deserved it.... :rotfl: :rotfl: ...

frankly speaking, i have better hopes on Water...... 8-)

Alien
27th September 2006, 01:36 AM
Maddy, U got it all wrong once again :lol: .... :wink:

I, ofcourse, knew that Lagaan went the closest : that is into the last 5 ... But what I meant was, If there was an Indian film that deserved Oscar the most, then that is Hey Ram, of the last decade or so ...(among those popular ones ... forget those offbeat ones that is hardly known anywhere)..
Lagaan def doesn't deserve it .... When compared to Lagaan, RDB deserves it better.... 8-)

P_R
27th September 2006, 03:57 AM

dont tell me that "Lagaan" was nominated just to make up for not selecting Hey ram... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cool Maddy. Did you not see the :P emoticon at the end of my post. I think you were in a hurry to roll and laugh. Just to be clear in this post, I shall abstain from any form of kidding.

I take nothing away from the Lagaan team. I was cheering pretty hard even though I knew they were up against Amelie - which I liked much better.

As for RDB. I do not share the opinion that is a great movie but I will definitely be cheering for an oscar. We need not be clinical in assessing whether it is 'better' (however we define that) than the others in contention. Given CTHD was considered better than Hey Ram by the academy folks we never know what's in store.

To be kind we should not attempt to compare Lagaan,RDB etc. with Hey ! Ram. Even Kamal's later movies (AS, Virumaandi) cannot match up to that comparison.

MADDY
27th September 2006, 06:15 AM
To be kind we should not attempt to compare Lagaan,RDB etc. with Hey ! Ram. Even Kamal's later movies (AS, Virumaandi) cannot match up to that comparison.

RDB was a great effort from Raykesh Mehra........infact for North Indians its one of the best made works ever in Hindi.......its an epic.......a cult movie for the youth........even in the south, i was really surprised and heart warmed to see the anti-quota protest in Bangalore also was similar to RDB style....infact many websites were carrying predictions that Arjun Singh would be assasinated like the minister in RDB and they updgraded the security for him....... :lol: :lol: ......such was the impact....i dont think there has been any inspiring movie like this in recent Indian film history :D

Rang De Basanti - name itself sends shivers thru my spine.......jo khoon desh ke liye kaam nahin aaye, woh khoon nahin paani hain dialogue makes me cry even now......

Nerd
27th September 2006, 08:41 PM
Bhagat Singh's family rallies for RDB

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/bhagat-singhs-family-rallies-for-rdb/22639-8.html

Nerd
30th September 2006, 02:23 AM
LRMB as an independant entry to the oscars

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/munnabhai-joins-the-race-for-oscars/22824-8.html

kamalsurya
30th September 2006, 03:38 PM
Hey guys what about Black *ing the Big B and Rani? I think it is a quality flim and flim which can fight equally with RDB... 8-)

great
30th September 2006, 07:30 PM
Hey guys what about Black *ing the Big B and Rani? I think it is a quality flim and flim which can fight equally with RDB... 8-)

Black is a copy of Miracle Worker moreover black was released during 2004 :?

nilavupriyan
30th September 2006, 07:58 PM
saw munnabai today...nice movie!

sanjay dutt did really well....not like other bollywood actors!

sanjay dutt and aamir khan really impressed me!

kamalsurya
30th September 2006, 10:40 PM

Black is a copy of Miracle Worker moreover black was released during 2004 :?
Oh was it? :oops: My bad, but i loved the movie :D

alwarpet_andavan
2nd October 2006, 03:11 AM
LRMB as an independant entry to the oscars

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/munnabhai-joins-the-race-for-oscars/22824-8.html
What has the world come to?? :(

Unicorn
3rd October 2006, 10:55 PM
Paheli :victory:

great
3rd October 2006, 11:08 PM
Paheli :victory:

whts the victory sign meant for :?

Nerd
4th October 2006, 02:21 AM
Indian films which should have made it to the oscars

http://xtraedition.indiatimes.com/quickiearticleshow/msid-2076317.cms

P_R
4th October 2006, 03:28 AM

Swades better than Shwaas is :) (though I agree it about Maqbool)

Astitva better than Hey ! Ram is :lol: haiyO haiyo !

kannannn
4th October 2006, 03:48 AM

Swades better than Shwaas is :) (though I agree it about Maqbool)

Astitva better than Hey ! Ram is :lol: haiyO haiyo !

I think Shwaas was a very well made film and certainly better than Swades. The efforts of the producer and director to promote their film for Oscars is a story in itself. They traveled around the country to hold special shows and collect money. The special screening of the film at Bangalore was followed by the circulation of a collection box for people to contribute towards Oscar compaign.

As for Astitva, it was probably new to the N. Indian audience but certainly not to us.

P_R
4th October 2006, 03:58 AM
As for Astitva, it was probably new to the N. Indian audience but certainly not to us. KB made a career out of movies like this. Of course it is a sensitive film by Mahesh Manjrekar. It is just about 20 yrs late for us :-)

MADDY
5th October 2006, 12:23 AM
Swades was a real soul stirrer, esp for people who are emotionally attached to the nation and the issues that are plaguing it......it also is the movie for ppl. who put emotions first rather than money.......many ppl. couldnt digest the fact that a person can resign from NASA to settle in India.......i dunt think it is impossible for ppl. whom i have described above.......Swades's noble intentions were more than the technical/cinematic brilliance of other movies.....

(btw, i wud have loved swades with or without ARR 8-) )

somehow, i felt Hey Ram was a very amateurish effort at direction.......even Virumaandi was no different.....

kannannn
5th October 2006, 12:35 AM
somehow, i felt Hey Ram was a very amateurish effort at direction.......even Virumaandi was no different.....
:shock: What exactly made you think Hey Ram was an amateurish effort? Any particular sequences? Any goof-ups?

MADDY
5th October 2006, 12:43 AM
:shock: What exactly made you think Hey Ram was an amateurish effort? Any particular sequences? Any goof-ups?

characterisation, sequences didnt gel that well....that's the first impression i had when i watched it some 4 yrs back........again we are talking abt Oscar standards......maybe movie is gr8 in Kollywood/Bollywood level.......

maybe also bcos of the "i hate kamal" cap that i always wear..... :lol:

alwarpet_andavan
7th October 2006, 03:54 PM
:lol: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

nilavupriyan
7th October 2006, 04:09 PM

characterisation, sequences didnt gel that well....that's the first impression i had when i watched it some 4 yrs back........again we are talking abt Oscar standards......maybe movie is gr8 in Kollywood/Bollywood level.......

maybe also bcos of the "i hate kamal" cap that i always wear..... :lol:

maddy..its better than oscar standards...what do u call oscar standards...many of those gyus act so amateurish way...and its called method acting!... :banghead: u may laugh at it!..but i feel robert de niro and al pachino who are called as great actors are doing the same role again and again...no versatility!..the movies done where advertised well than the movies from other parts of the world!...but not the best in the world!

they were no compare to italian,brazilian,french movies...these are noway near!

u cant deal the partition of india better than hey raam!...

http://www.uiowa.edu/~incinema/HEYRAM.html

read this to know whats there in heyraam!

better than crouching tiger hidden dragon i guess (which got oscar award with so called oscar standard????) :rotfl:

MADDY
8th October 2006, 05:58 PM
Nilavu, u guys dont know what is Tamas and 1947-Earth........if u had known then u wont say that partition is best described in Hey ram.......

Also, i never understood y a man whose wife was raped in front of his eyes goes back to marry another woman and again comes back to relive his past in kolkatta??

Also, i never understood how 2-3 words can create/recreate the mind of an assasin.......atul kulkarni/SRK change kamal's point of view in space of 2-3 dialogues....

the scene where Atul Kulkarni says who do u think is responsible for all these riots - is best laughable with kamal shaking his head in all possible directions........that was a complete amateur director's scene.......

anyways, justice prevailed and God gave the right BO result for this movie......God is Great (which many intelligent ppl. fail to understand) :D

nilavupriyan
8th October 2006, 06:44 PM
Nilavu, u guys dont know what is Tamas and 1947-Earth........if u had known then u wont say that partition is best described in Hey ram.......

Also, i never understood y a man whose wife was raped in front of his eyes goes back to marry another woman and again comes back to relive his past in kolkatta??

Also, i never understood how 2-3 words can create/recreate the mind of an assasin.......atul kulkarni/SRK change kamal's point of view in space of 2-3 dialogues....

the scene where Atul Kulkarni says who do u think is responsible for all these riots - is best laughable with kamal shaking his head in all possible directions........that was a complete amateur director's scene.......

anyways, justice prevailed and God gave the right BO result for this movie......God is Great (which many intelligent ppl. fail to understand) :D

THIS SHOWS HOW GREATLY U WATCH MOVIES!

kamal doesnt change due to the dialogues of sharuk!...he changes only after sharuk's death...and after those meetings with gandhiji!

u can perfectly notice the change of mind in kamal's face when sharuk dies ...thats where he changes!...

atul kulkarni dint change kamal by few dialogues...did u ever see ayul kulkarni giving a book to kamal written by veer savarkar(intelligently kamal only allowed kulkarni to say half of savarkar's name)...and kamal reads that book even when he is in his hometown!...his change is very slow!...and he is convinced to kill only after the accident happened to atul kulkarni!

regarding box office results and GOD IS GREAT....yeah GOD IS GREAT to give kamal both the talent to produce hey raam and provide a record box office hit like vetaiyadu viLaiyadu!...only kamal can do that....others can only provide hits... !

first watch the movie thoroughly before commenting..."nunipul meya koodadhu"

alwarpet_andavan
8th October 2006, 09:33 PM
:lol: :lol:

MADDY
8th October 2006, 10:26 PM

kamal doesnt change due to the dialogues of sharuk!...he changes only after sharuk's death...and after those meetings with gandhiji!

u can perfectly notice the change of mind in kamal's face when sharuk dies ...thats where he changes!...

is it after SRK dies he changes or is it after meetings with Gandhi??? :?

atul kulkarni dint change kamal by few dialogues...did u ever see ayul kulkarni giving a book to kamal written by veer savarkar(intelligently kamal only allowed kulkarni to say half of savarkar's name)...and kamal reads that book even when he is in his hometown!...his change is very slow!...and he is convinced to kill only after the accident happened to atul kulkarni!

still it doesent xplain y he got married again?? :? ...........when he talks to Atul Kulkarni he shows sign of change......wat abt that???

regarding box office results and GOD IS GREAT....yeah GOD IS GREAT to give kamal both the talent to produce hey raam and provide a record box office hit like vetaiyadu viLaiyadu!...only kamal can do that....others can only provide hits... !

GOD gives ur kamal both hits and class movies and still he makes fun of GODs (of a particular religion)??? :oops:

i dunno whther this is some Tamil saying or u were just trying to equate me to a eruma-maadu :D .......either way its ok, cos i dont xpect much respect in this hub when i question Kamal/IR's works..... :D

nilavupriyan
8th October 2006, 10:43 PM

is it after SRK dies he changes or is it after meetings with Gandhi??? :?

still it doesent xplain y he got married again?? :? ...........when he talks to Atul Kulkarni he shows sign of change......wat abt that???

GOD gives ur kamal both hits and class movies and still he makes fun of GODs (of a particular religion)??? :oops:

i dunno whther this is some Tamil saying or u were just trying to equate me to a eruma-maadu :D .......either way its ok, cos i dont xpect much respect in this hub when i question Kamal/IR's works..... :D

maddy.....human psychology is not so quick...and nothing happens all of a sudden!...we used to change our thoughts regarding the situations going on!...regarding the surroundings....kamal was pushed to kill gandhi by atul kulkarni,book by savarkar,the king who helps atul,the ideology of his surroundings etc!

but his relationship with gandhi make him softer which u can guess by his conversation with gandhi...and when his friend die before him...he changes!...he changes his ideology abt muslims...at first he would say "ingirundhu ponga" to sharuk..ask all muslims to get away from india...but later he would fight for those muslims and kill hindus for his friend...atlast he would give up his idea of killing gandhi!

it may be difficult for u to get these psychological changes as u like normal hindi movies with cinematic sentiments... :lol:

kamal in this movie is an ordinary human being ...he marries after the death of his first wife...tell me one guy who doent marry when his wife dies at his twenties!u may expect hindi stars to be in the thoughts of first wife with some nostalgic song....rarara...... :lol: this is kamal movie man!
regarding nunipul meya koodadhu...here in tamilnadu people say it to students to study thoroughly !

P_R
9th October 2006, 12:44 AM
still it doesent xplain y he got married again?? Confused ...........when he talks to Atul Kulkarni he shows sign of change......wat abt that??? IMO that is the very fulcrum of the movie.

Remember the lines in the poNNU paarkkura scene
Bashyam: kshavaram paNNikkaradhayum,udhyOgatthayum uttuttA ONNum varaadhu unakku. manasai uttuttA maHA kashtam

Now this is not put forward as an explanation that convinces Kamal. Only as a typical argument put forward by the surroundings to a man who has (apparently) withdrawn to the familiarity of tradition, after getting singed trying to live a liberal life.

Do u recall Abhyankar nee Pandey's question when he receives a married Kamal at the airport.
Saket: "ippOdhAn kalyANam aachu"
Abhyankar: "kalyAnaMA ? edhukku ?"
(Kamal's expression beats words here, it is a mixture of 'buddy u overstepped the line',surprise and anger) and Abhyankar corrects himself to 'eppO ?' (which is a dumb question because the conversation started with Saket telling him the marriage was recent).

This proceeds on to a visible tension barely masking the searing jealousy Abhyankar has for Maithili. Right from the eery welcome to Maharshtra: vaa Maithri, to who-controls-Saket somapAna serving, to the rage he shows at Saket's excesses during pollAdha Madhana bANam and finally to extracting the vow of celibacy from Saket on his deathbed.

Abhyankar's commitement to the cause is underlined by his celibacy with the liberal hints of homosexuality - Veer Savarkar himself was allegedly a homosexual so Kamal is conscious about painting Abhyankar as a tilak,topi clad Marathi intellectual with a gay tinge.
In fact it is Abhyankar who sees marriage and achievement as antithetical ('but he is a marries man your highness' he objects to Saket's name being picked in the lot).
Saket's marriage is precisely to underline this difference. To show him as a heterosexual out to affirm his maculinity by a conscious (if ill-founded) plunge to conformism.

There are have been some scholarly writings (both critical and laudatory of Hey Ram) which dissect the movie's central theme connecting sexuality and religious violence. Without sounding too snobbish I will quote just one source that also explores the same theme: Anand Patwardhan's 'Father Son and the Holy War'. It quite simply sums up fighting for a religion, is simply fighting for one's patriarchal legacy. Kamal says that in the most convincing manner in film.

As Nilavu pointed out never is Saket's change abrupt. A man who is able to joke about his Muslim buddy in the club (ivan pakistan kEkkarAne) is still in pain in the morning after the murderous night in Calcutta.

Saket:I am not a man like this sir. NeengEllAm madham arasiyallnu Edho kAraNam sollikkArEL. Naanga enna panna ?
(I am sorry you didn't enjoy the scene. The quivering,broken voice in which the above line is delivered has me in raptures even when I recall it today).

As for the neutral nodding u refer to, that again tells u how a trauma makes ur opinions vulnerable to argument. But watch closely , he nods for Jinnah, he nods for Suhrawardy he does not nod when Abhyankar says Gandhi.
He obviously considers the suggestion stupid but is too tired to counter it (like Amjad counters it with 'unakku paithyamAdA' when Saket repeats the very same words to him Chandini chowk 16 months later).

There is also enough evidence to show that despite his (re)adoption of the trappings of religion, he cares very little about the the traditions he is purpotedly defending (when he puts down the astrologer V.S.Raghavan). It is pointed out time and again that his motivations (unlike Abhyankar's) are not fundamentally religious but rooted in personal revenge and reaffirming his masculinity.

What is Hey Ram ? It is not Gandhis last words. Who is the Ram : Is it gandhi's Ram of the Ramrajya ? SaketRAM ? ShriRAM Abhyankar, NathuRAM Godse? Who is Ram? The film's question, as I understand it, is not 'who is Ram' but 'who isn't' ? You can count the innumerable uuterances of 'HeyRam' strewn over the film to take home that he is addressing us.

u cant deal the partition of india better than hey raam!... I disagree. I don't think the comparison is valid. Unlike usual partition films, the violence and conflict in Hey Ram is not between persons. It is personal. The continued theme of Kamal's film have been an individual in the society. Values,morality,duty, responsibility, politics,caste, religion have been overlapping themes in works like Mahanadhi, ThEvar Magan. In Hey Ram too the focus is on the indivdual.

It is a magnus opus whose BO failure reflects very poorly on us. He lost nearly all subtlety in Anbe Sivam and Virumaandi (they are good but compared to Mahanadhi,Guna and ThEvar Magan Kamal's later films are as subtle as Shahid Afridi). It BO success would have changed the way good films are made in Tamil , atleast change the way Kamal makes films (I repeat myself).

And as for your conclusion that God dispensed justice I have nothing to say but:
"marumurai varuvadhAi solli /maaynthavar vandhadhE illai"

ts ok, cos i dont xpect much respect in this hub when i question Kamal/IR's worksperhaps because you declare thus:
maybe also bcos of the "i hate kamal" cap that i always wear..... Laughing :-) You must only read some back pages of Kamal threads to see some of us tearing some of Kamal's works apart. We are his worst critics. Perhaps if u don't insist on wearing the cap a very engaging discussion is possible. cheers

kannannn
9th October 2006, 01:54 AM
Prabhu Ram, excellent analysis. Let me add a few more points. As I have said earlier, the best lines in the movie are reserved for Abhyankar. This is reflective of the word-play extremists indulge in when recruiting members and inculcating ideologies in them. In many instances, words and right moment are all that are required to convert a person. No one knew it better than Savarkar and his followers. Even the tone of his queries to Kamal is measured so as not to put him off. And Kamal's unsure nods to Abhyankar's questions are reflective of lack of knowledge of the nexus between politics and religion, which Abhyankar takes full advantage of.

Kamal's disapproval of the marriage is very clearly brought out during the first trip to Karnard's house. 'En pondattiyum thoppanarum poi 6 maasam kooda aagalai. Adhukulla kalyanam!'

Kamal will never forgive us for what we have done to Hey Ram and rightly so.

nilavupriyan
9th October 2006, 09:24 AM
Prabhu ram ... :wink:

kb
9th October 2006, 09:29 AM
was there any case on hey ram in the court :roll:

nilavupriyan
9th October 2006, 09:39 AM

why?

MADDY
10th October 2006, 09:34 AM
Good Analysis Prabhu ram..... :D ....i'll surely watch the movie again and try to look from the prospective that u've given......the "gay" angle never crossed my mind....

Nilavu, u were convinced with Kamal's explanation then fine but for me to get convinced it should convince my senses first isnt it??? Hey Raam didnt convince me and many others which is y it is not a success......

moreover, i dunno where u got this impression that i'm a avid Hindi film fan??? i always consider Tamil movies superior to Hindi movies........its just that i dont believe that all hindi movies are bad.............just watch Nagesh Kukkunoor's movies, u'll understand.......yes abt ARR, i definitely think he suits North Indian tastes better than Tamil taste.....that's y i want him and Maniratnam to stop coming into tamil....

MADDY
10th October 2006, 09:43 AM

kb, i dunno whether u r in India, if ur then u dunno the facts here i guess....Water was the only movie which was driven away for hurting religious sentiments......there are countless number of movies which have directly attacked religious sentiments and got away with it........there have been subtle indirect mockery of our culture/beliefs in many movies which our ppl. only appreciate :oops:

so Hey ram was no different.....

nilavupriyan
10th October 2006, 10:58 AM
Good Analysis Prabhu ram..... :D ....i'll surely watch the movie again and try to look from the prospective that u've given......the "gay" angle never crossed my mind....

Nilavu, u were convinced with Kamal's explanation then fine but for me to get convinced it should convince my senses first isnt it??? Hey Raam didnt convince me and many others which is y it is not a success......
moreover, i dunno where u got this impression that i'm a avid Hindi film fan??? i always consider Tamil movies superior to Hindi movies........its just that i dont believe that all hindi movies are bad.............just watch Nagesh Kukkunoor's movies, u'll understand.......yes abt ARR, i definitely think he suits North Indian tastes better than Tamil taste.....that's y i want him and Maniratnam to stop coming into tamil....

surely.....thats a great fault of kamal...he must be aware of the audience...he must make it simple in future really!...making everyone enjoy and understand is what important

MADDY
11th October 2006, 09:59 AM
surely.....thats a great fault of kamal...he must be aware of the audience...he must make it simple in future really!...making everyone enjoy and understand is what important

theres no use talking to you i guess......u think only kamal fans can understand complex scripts and a person coming from Mumbai wud never ever understand wat Kamal is trying to tell......keep dreaming dude.... :D ....... :wave:

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 01:11 PM

theres no use talking to you i guess......u think only kamal fans can understand complex scripts and a person coming from Mumbai wud never ever understand wat Kamal is trying to tell......keep dreaming dude.... :D ....... :wave:

i dint mean in that way...anyway...kelambu...kaatru varatum

MADDY
11th October 2006, 04:26 PM

its the other way around......this is for discussing my ARR's Hindi movie which is going for oscars.......so it is u who shuld move out.... :lol: ......just kiddin........we wud like constructive criticism of RDB :thumbsup:

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 05:43 PM

its the other way around......this is for discussing my ARR's Hindi movie which is going for oscars.......so it is u who shuld move out.... :lol: ......just kiddin........we wud like constructive criticism of RDB :thumbsup:

topic is oscar awards...not arr's entry to oscar!

by the way kamal has sent more movies to oscar :rotfl:

constructine criticism on rdb???...its so good!...but oscar awards doesnt depend upon quality!

Nerd
11th October 2006, 08:41 PM

Whenever I see such comments from KH fans I will just :rotfl: And they never stop that. They think all KH fans are intellectuals and brilliant people and all others are inferior to them.

Common guys he isnt making movies which are way too complex to understand and he is no kubrick/kurosawa to watch his movies many times to understand the subtleties.

Hey raam is a great movie, surely better than CTHD. But its inferior to Ameros Perros, IMO. I havent seen the other movies which were nominated that year.

His another directorial venture virumaaNdi is not a great movie, its just a good movie. IMO mahaanadhi and thEvar magan are his best attempts so far (Screenplay/dialogues).

Unicorn
11th October 2006, 08:48 PM
Thats 10000% true :thumbsup:

Whenever I see such comments from KH fans I will just :rotfl: And they never stop that. They think all KH fans are intellectuals and brilliant people and all others are inferior to them.

Common guys he isnt making movies which are way too complex to understand and he is no kubrick/kurosawa to watch his movies many times to understand the subtleties.

Hey raam is a great movie, surely better than CTHD. But its inferior to Ameros Perros, IMO. I havent seen the other movies which were nominated that year.

His another directorial venture virumaaNdi is not a great movie, its just a good movie. IMO mahaanadhi and thEvar magan are his best attempts so far (Screenplay/dialogues).

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 09:25 PM

thanks for comparing kamal with stanely kubrick :D u seem to be a greater fan than me!

between ...do u think all are "nerds" in our country to understand a picture like hey raam?

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 09:25 PM
im not responsible for that inferiority complex :D ...but its true that kamal's movies are ahead of its time in tamilnadu

Nerd
11th October 2006, 09:29 PM
thanks for comparing kamal with stanely kubrick Very Happy u seem to be a greater fan than me!

Thats how u people project him :rotfl:

Also, let those nerds be ignorant of kamal's subtleties, they have better movies to watch !!

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 09:33 PM
thanks for comparing kamal with stanely kubrick Very Happy u seem to be a greater fan than me!

Thats how u people project him :rotfl:

Also, let those nerds be ignorant of kamal's subtleties, they have better movies to watch !!

:rotfl: its u who said as though u would sau only kurasawa's movies as great and mathavanlam chumma!

englishla nalla padam eduthathan paarpen...tamilla andha maadhiri try panna paaka matennu sonna enna artham :lol:

his movies will stand for time...and we are here to watch his movies :wink:

Nerd
11th October 2006, 09:37 PM
naan sonnathayE neenga purinjikka maattengureenga. There would be someone here who would claim that you should watch KH movies a million times to understand the subteleties.. Thats why I brought up K/K since their movies are meant to be watched multiple times to enjoy each and every frame. That was my whole point. Anyways lets give it a break and make room for others to post. We will continue this later :lol:

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 09:38 PM
naan sonnathayE neenga purinjikka maattengureenga. There would be someone here who would claim that you should watch KH movies a million times to understand the subteleties.. Thats why I brought up K/K since their movies are meant to be watched multiple times to enjoy each and every frame. That was my whole point. Anyways lets give it a break and make room for others to post. We will continue this later :lol:

:D

Unicorn
11th October 2006, 09:52 PM
again :rotfl: @ the way u take things :cry2:

im not responsible for that inferiority complex :D ...but its true that kamal's movies are ahead of its time in tamilnadu

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 09:53 PM
make u cry? :lol:

again :rotfl: @ the way u take things :cry2:

MADDY
11th October 2006, 10:26 PM

if i'm not wrong its both ARR and Kamal at 6 each....... :D ....

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 10:30 PM

if i'm not wrong its both ARR and Kamal at 6 each....... :D ....

:roll:

MADDY
11th October 2006, 10:33 PM
kamal 7!... :D :roll:

what are they??? just curious.....

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 10:34 PM
Naayagan

Saagar (H)

Swathi Muthyam (Te)

Devar Magan

Kuruthipunal

Hey Ram

Indian

nilavupriyan
11th October 2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.universalherokamal.com/UniversalHeroKamal/Thalaivar/Awards/International.aspx

alwarpet_andavan
12th October 2006, 12:55 AM

topic is oscar awards...not arr's entry to oscar!

P_R
12th October 2006, 01:09 AM
I agree that Kamal compromises on plot subtleties for saleability (even in Mahanadhi, which I consider his best work as a writer). The didactism is all too evident ThEvar Magan and Hey Ram, which seem to be at the cost of a dip in aesthetic finesse (I am not even talking about AnbE Sivam and Virumaandi).

But his seem ti be nearly the only Tamil films that have something for a repeat viewing. Something in some nook to be culled out and tasted ages after the first viewing.

they think all KH fans are intellectuals and brilliant people and all others are inferior to them.

I can only speak for myself here. It was only in the third or fourth viewing that Mahanadhi showed me things that were hitherto unseen. In fact I felt a bit embaressed that I had seen the movie ages back and still hadn't found things that were screaming out now. ThEvar Magan seems to reward me with something new in each and every viewing.

If Kamal movies are "not so complex" then I am part of the group that is, allegedly, looked down upon by KH fans. So I have to disagree with atleast one of your two statements above. Don't know which one to disagree with :P

alwarpet_andavan
12th October 2006, 02:39 AM
PR,
En mandaikkum sila pala thadava paatha dhaan neraya vishayangal thenpadum Aandavar-in sila padangalil...adhulayum ungala madhiri alunga sila points sollumbodhu innum theliva sila vishayangal vilangum...

Wonder why KH/K/K are being compared......
Naama Aandavar padatha thirumbi paakka kudatha? illa naama intellectuals nu sonnoma? Illa andha Kurosawa dhaan 'intellectual films edukkaren' endru claim pannara? [On the contrary he has gone on record many times saying that "I always believe movies should be simple. Otherwise i'm failing as a film maker"]. That we discover something new on every viewing is a different matter. Namma makkal Foreign padangal ellam pappanga.. aanaa....

P.S: OK, appadiye Aandavar padam avalavu complex illennaalum.... indha simple padangalaye purinjikkalaye namma makkal.. adhu dhaan Nilavupriyanin point...idhula Kurosawa-vayum Kambanayum inge kondu varuvaane?

alwarpet_andavan
12th October 2006, 02:43 AM
And yeah.. ennoda pangukku naanum :rotfl:

Nerd
12th October 2006, 03:41 AM
P.S: OK, appadiye Aandavar padam avalavu complex illennaalum.... indha simple padangalaye purinjikkalaye namma makkal.. adhu dhaan Nilavupriyanin point...idhula Kurosawa-vayum Kambanayum inge kondu varuvaane?

antha simple padangaLa purinjikittum onnum aagappOvathu illai. athukku naanga veLi naattu padathayE paappOm.

Can agree with mahanadhi and DM being timeless classics, HR/VM are NOT..atleast in my books 8-)

alwarpet_andavan
12th October 2006, 05:47 AM
antha simple padangaLa purinjikittum onnum aagappOvathu illai. athukku naanga veLi naattu padathayE paappOm.

Can agree with mahanadhi and DM being timeless classics, HR/VM are NOT..atleast in my books 8-)
Neenga veli naattu padatha paarungo, uL naattu animated cartoon flicks paarungo, onnum agapporadhu illai.... nanna paarungo....

MADDY
12th October 2006, 08:39 AM
Naayagan

Saagar (H)

Swathi Muthyam (Te)

Devar Magan

Kuruthipunal

Hey Ram

Indian

are u sure abt Saagar??? i couldnt find it in this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_India's_official_entries_to_the_Oscars

please bring some neutral source

great
12th October 2006, 07:46 PM

Gross generlisation ... No KH has said he is superior to other or inferior to other 8-)

hmmm its one of the great effort the outcome of the movie is pretty decent except for few graphic scenes. The theme of the movie is :2thumbsup: and when each guy narrates their story ie pasupathy and KH watch out the camera angle .

nilavupriyan
12th October 2006, 07:52 PM

sari....velinaatu padangala paatha mattum enna aaga povudhu? :roll: imayamalaila rendu flat freeya kedaika povudha

Nerd
12th October 2006, 08:28 PM
What a PJ :rotfl:

P_R
13th October 2006, 01:33 AM
antha simple padangaLa purinjikittum onnum aagappOvathu illai. athukku naanga veLi naattu padathayE paappOm. enna aagaNum ?

Nerd
13th October 2006, 02:02 AM
enna aagaNum ?

There are a few movies which affect you:

- Cant sleep that night (A clockwork orange)
- Will make you think over a few scenes/ the climax (Almost all Kubrick movies)
- Will make you sympathize/empathize with the characters (No man's land - Imagine you lying on top of a mine)
- Will give you a feel that you have just watched an amazing piece of art (many movies)

I can go on and on.. nalla padam paarththaal ithu maathiru yEthaavathu thONanum.

P_R
13th October 2006, 03:18 AM
There are a few movies which affect you:

- Cant sleep that night (A clockwork orange)
- Will make you think over a few scenes/ the climax (Almost all Kubrick movies)
- Will make you sympathize/empathize with the characters (No man's land - Imagine you lying on top of a mine)
- Will give you a feel that you have just watched an amazing piece of art (many movies)

I can go on and on.. nalla padam paarththaal ithu maathiru yEthaavathu thONanum.
:thumbsup: I was scared you were going to say something about samudhAya marumalarchi (a la RDB :-) ). Thankfully we do have comparable yardsticks. Just that.....
Mahandhi did (to be precise, is doing) nearly all of the above to me.

Nerd
13th October 2006, 03:36 AM
Thats right. I have already admitted that MN is an amazing movie. But hey raam is not. Its a great movie but not THE best from him or for that matter from India 8-) So I did not have any complaints when it was not nominated.

P_R
13th October 2006, 04:13 AM
Thats right. I have already admitted that MN is an amazing movie. But hey raam is not. Its a great movie but not THE best from him or for that matter from India 8-) So I did not have any complaints when it was not nominated.
I was coming there. Hey Ram is not his best (as I have already said) but it is not his best only because he has Mahandhi ad ThEvar Magan under his belt already.

As far as not being India's best goes. It was , that year.Oscars are (ostensibly) a year-to-year affair. It would take a lot of imagination to say Crouching Tiger..... was a better film than Hey Ram. In that respect I am sorely disappointed about what happened.

In absolute terms too Hey Ram stands its own.I found the film to be multi-layered and complex, very unique narration, unforgettable characterization and appealing with each repeated viewing.
I have my criticisms about parts that sag, Sameer Chanda's below-par work, some dramatic cliches it falls for, some very naive dialogues etc. But it gets blown away with the great writing, unbelievable background score (I ran out of superlatives for casting,acting). Hey Ram is the best Tamil film since Hey Ram.

As I said before, Hey ! Ram's box office failure is direct responsible for it being the last good tamil film I have seen. I seriously don't expect anything from anyone else. If he got overtly preachy in AnbE Sivam Hey ! Ram's failure is to blame.

To be honest, I was not so happy about Kamal national award for Indian. It was great performance, no doubt, but everyone would remember him for sEnApathi not for Krishnaswamy and Guna.
I guess you would have felt the same way if Hey Ram had been nominated. Right ?

Nerd
13th October 2006, 06:50 AM
As far as not being India's best goes. It was , that year.Oscars are (ostensibly) a year-to-year affair. It would take a lot of imagination to say Crouching Tiger..... was a better film than Hey Ram. In that respect I am sorely disappointed about what happened.

Could well be. I dont think I liked any movie which came out in 2000 better than Hey ram. I only watch tamil/hindi movies :) Even if it were nominated I dont think that it would have beaten Ameros Perros. Thats again debatable, I liked AP better :)

I guess you would have felt the same way if Hey Ram had been nominated. Right ?

The two KH movies I like the most are mahaanadhi and dhEvar magan. These two movies are perfect examples that shows KH's genius as a writer. Needless to talk about his performance as an actor. Indian is a good movie, KH's performance was really good but it did not deserve a national award, IMO. I always forget that he got a NA for Indian. Even if hey raam had been nominated I dont think that I would rate that better than MN/DM.

btw, interesting to know that you did not like any tamil movie after HR. I always thought that the movie kaadhal (Balaji sakthivEl) deserved a NA. Realism to the core :thumbsup:

nilavupriyan
13th October 2006, 10:38 AM
PJ??

MADDY
13th October 2006, 11:31 AM
PJ --> Poor Joke......which doesent mean the joke is in a very bad economical state :lol: ....i guess this was also a PJ.......

another nomenclature for bad jokes we use in mumbai is " sorry wala joke" --> u have to say a sorry after uttering that joke......which means --> how dare u thought that people wud laugh for it.... :lol:

enuf of disgressions --> when is the oscar awards scheduled ? is it march 2007 or something like that?

alwarpet_andavan
14th October 2006, 01:04 AM

Here's one
http://universalherokamal.com/UniversalHeroKamal/others/Magazine/ShowMagazine.aspx?Magazine=RITZ_OCT_2006
[Please read the para above the Avvai Shanmugi pic...

MADDY
14th October 2006, 10:09 AM

Here's one
http://universalherokamal.com/UniversalHeroKamal/others/Magazine/ShowMagazine.aspx?Magazine=RITZ_OCT_2006
[Please read the para above the Avvai Shanmugi pic...

thanks.... :D ....so its ARR at 6 and kamal at 7... :cry: ......no worries, ARR will catch up very soon.....

MADDY
18th October 2006, 05:04 AM
http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/oct/17mattoo.htm?zcc=rl

RDB effect.......justice after 11 years......
:bluejump: :thumbsup:

Robaaroo roshini.........

P_R
18th October 2006, 05:12 AM

Robaaroo roshini......... Definitely positive news. What is the RDB connection ? :confused2:

MADDY
18th October 2006, 02:22 PM

Robaaroo roshini......... Definitely positive news. What is the RDB connection ? :confused2:

both this case and jessica lal case were tried to be closed in unfair means.....and then people started objecting to this and started protesting......they carried candles and walked the roads of delhi for justice........which was precisely shown in RDB.......infact all news channels agreed that it was RDB effect.....

i dont think there is any movie like RDB which has mobilised an entire nation like this.....