PDA

View Full Version : draupadi praveen

padmanabha
3rd October 2006, 09:34 PM
[tscii:379f2effa4]“All our dance forms are based purely on our rich treasure of myths and legends. Though they are different, performance wise, the dancer’s emotion is the same” feels Dr. Draupadi Praveen, popular danseuse. She was in the city recently for a Bharatanatyam performance at the Vyloppili Bhavan.

Draupadi who won the Kalathilakam title twice, for her performances in Bhratanatyam, Mohiniyattam, Ottanthullal, Kuchipidi, and Kathakali, in 1996 &97 she is now focusing on Bhratanatyam only. In an interview the dancer explains how difficult it is to get along with different dance forms, why she did not opt for higher studies after MBBS, and the reason for choosing Bharatanatyam.

Born to Dr. N N Murali and Yogavathy Antharjanam in Kottarakkara, she started learning dance at the age of three. “My parents are much interested in music and dance. At seven I was initiated to Bharatanataym, Mohiniyattam, Ottanthullal, kuchipidi, and kathakali, under Mayyanad Sashikumar, and Kalamandalam Kamalam. I had advanced training in Bharatanatyam and Mohiniyattam from Dr .Neena Prasad, Kuchipidi from Kalashetra Mnaya Vinayan, Kathakali from FACT Chandrasekharan, Chandramana Govindan Namppothiri, and Kalamandalam and Ottamthullal from Kalamandalam Geethanandan. It was tiring indeed. Besides regular classes, I attended special classes on holidays. The story or the theme is the same. It has to be essayed in different styles. To prevent mixing up of styles, you have to really work. Each of these forms has its own characteristics. Mohoiniyattom is the lasya form. Drishti bheda in Kathakali is awesome. Learning all these varieties has helped me a lot to know more” said Draupadi. My first love always is dance. I consider my admission to MBBS as an encouragement, to art. To excel in these two fields is tough. Both require, in depth study and practice. After marrying Dr. Praveen a Nephrologist I decided to concentrate more on dance. He encourages me a lot” she explains.

What made you to focus on Bharatanataym?

After wedding we settled in Bombay for a brief period. There I met Kalakshetra Indumati Raman. I learnt finer aspects of Bharatanatyam , like tala and, raga. I was more exposed to its theory. Meeting her was a turning point and she was instrumental in my decision to focus on Bharatanataym. Why Keralites prefer to learn non kerala dance froms? But we have non Keralaites promoting Mohiniyattaom like Pallvi and Bharathi Sivaji?
We have plenty of accomplished Mohiniyattom dancers like Sugandi, Kshemavathi, Neena Prasad, and Gopika Varma. But accomplished Bharatanatyam kerala dancers are very few.
Which Bahratanatyam school do you represent?
I am trained in both Kalakshetra and vazhavoor styles. My initial performances were chiefly in Kalakshetra style. Now, I adopt both the styles. While the thrust is more on “jati” and “adavu” (nritta) in Kalakshetra School, the Vazhavoor style relies more on abhinaya and nritya.

What about experimentation?
Not yet. In future I am planning to create no projects. I have not yet attained the standards I have set for myself in contemporary dance. Regarding choreography I like to do ‘ Ashtanayika” and Swati Thirunal kritis. Draupadi has performed in Delhi, Bombay, and the Middle East. I idolize Madam Rukmini Arundale for her courage and conviction.Among Bharatnatyam dancers Malavika Sarukkai and Priyadarshini Govind are my favourite dancer.

Draupadi resides at Mundakkal Kollam. Her sister Padmini an accomplished dancer cum singer is also a former Kalathilakam
[/tscii:379f2effa4]