PDA

View Full Version : US Citizenship

Sunflower77
16th October 2006, 09:18 PM
Hi, I need help finding a website or a forum on the net on pros and cons of applying for US citizenship.

I am an Indian national married to an american national, and have been married and living in US for the last 18 months. I recently got my permanent resident card, and have been thinking of applying for US citizenship. I am unable to find information on the pros and cons of taking this step. I want to know what rights I would lose in India after becoming a US citizenship.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

m_23_bayarea
18th October 2006, 01:00 AM
My friend who became a naturalized citizen in the US abt 10 years ago, felt the same way, and applied for a Dual Citizenship to the Indian govt. He became a dual citizen just a couple of months back ... So I dont think there is any flaw or con anymore in becoming a US Citizen ... You can always become a dual citizen to your will !! :thumbsup:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=india+america+dual+citizenship

Sunflower77
18th October 2006, 02:45 AM
Thank you so much for your reply. I'll read more on the links that you sent me.

m_23_bayarea
18th October 2006, 02:46 AM
Thank you so much for your reply. I'll read more on the links that you sent me.

Good Luck !! :thumbsup:

Sunflower77
18th October 2006, 06:03 PM
From what I understand, the Government of India decided to grant Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) to the PIOs who migrated from India and acquired citizenship of a foreign country.

In my case, it is the opposite. I hold Indian citizenship and would like to apply for US citizenship. And from the info I got from the net, it seems like I can't have both at the same time. I may have to give away my Indian citizenship if I want to be a US citizen by law.

m_23_bayarea
18th October 2006, 06:46 PM
From what I understand, the Government of India decided to grant Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) to the PIOs who migrated from India and acquired citizenship of a foreign country.

In my case, it is the opposite. I hold Indian citizenship and would like to apply for US citizenship. And from the info I got from the net, it seems like I can't have both at the same time. I may have to give away my Indian citizenship if I want to be a US citizen by law.

YES !!! At first you have to ... But once you become a US Citizen, you could apply to Dual Citizenship to the Indian Govt .... It depends on whether you want only Indian citizenship (current status) or both (maybe in the future) !!!

:D

Braandan
23rd October 2006, 10:57 AM
An OCI is not like anyother citizen of India.. please read the circulars carefully, "provided that the home country allows dual citizenship" is an important clause..if the country in which you are citizen now does not allow it then you should not take it (not the responsibility of GOI but the individual's responsibility that you are not breaking the law of your home country)..

simply the OCI card can be just used for entry into India anytime, without applying for a visa, that is all, it has no other use..you cannot vote in India, nor can you take up any employment in Govt./public sector, nor can you stand in elections..

jaiganes
23rd October 2006, 12:21 PM
you cannot vote in India, nor can you take up any employment in Govt./public sector, nor can you stand in elections..
Are these activites really useful things ppl do in India? :roll:
few ppl in India care to vote,
fewer contest in elections (only if they have a criminal background
fewer still take up Public sector and government jobs.

Badri
23rd October 2006, 12:50 PM
Are these activites really useful things ppl do in India? :roll:
few ppl in India care to vote,
fewer contest in elections (only if they have a criminal background

Come, come, JG, you gotta be talking through your hat, if you believe that nonsense you have just written up there!

few ppl in India care to vote

Check this site which says the average turnout in the last General elections was 56% or a staggering 380 million. That is a few for you?

http://www.neoncarrot.co.uk/h_aboutindia/india_election_stats.html

Here is another link from the Hindu

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2004/04/26/stories/2004042603031200.htm

What percent of the Indian population is employed by the GoI and its various agencies including the Armed Forces, the Railways, the Public Works Departments, LIC, Indian Postal Service, Nationalised banks, Telephones, Electricity Boards, Indian Administrative Service, Indian Foreign Service, Indian Police Service etc?

I know this posting has nothing to do with the original question, but I couldn't help not point out the glaring fallacy of your post.

jaiganes
23rd October 2006, 12:57 PM
come on Badri!
The thread never said you can't be sarcastic!!
If you can't contest in an election or hold a govt post, then you are easily identified as one among 95% of Indian population.
As far as voting is concerned, it is not something that every Indian dies to do. In fact in some parts of India you may get killed for venturing out to vote.

Badri
23rd October 2006, 01:00 PM
Sarcasm works when it is based on fact, JG. Otherwise it is just a fallacious statement.

thamizhvaanan
23rd October 2006, 01:08 PM
few ppl in India care to vote

Check this site which says the average turnout in the last General elections was 56% or a staggering 380 million. That is a few for you?

http://www.neoncarrot.co.uk/h_aboutindia/india_election_stats.html

Here is another link from the Hindu

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2004/04/26/stories/2004042603031200.htm

I know I am just extending this digression :ashamed: ... but cudnt help pointing it out. Elections in india have become a painful exercise... almost reduced to a sambradhayam now! If only u saw the local body election recently. it is either two parties alternating the rule or one party exercising monopoly. There is no performance based voting here... :roll:

Braandan
23rd October 2006, 01:28 PM
What do you want the OCI for if you don't love your country?
Just that you are lazy to get a visa stamped when you visit on vacation and exploit the poor masses here?

I would strongly advise, that once you take up citizen in some other country, stay put there, do not even visit your motherland, why do you want the OCI for? (just so that if a war breaks out in that country, you can happily escape to India? intead of drafting yourself in the forces there?)

Talking of voting:

In most advanced country (also heard so in Australia), you would be fined if do not vote. It is high time such a law comes in India too.

Badri
23rd October 2006, 01:35 PM
An OCI is not like anyother citizen of India.. please read the circulars carefully, "provided that the home country allows dual citizenship" is an important clause..if the country in which you are citizen now does not allow it then you should not take it (not the responsibility of GOI but the individual's responsibility that you are not breaking the law of your home country)..

simply the OCI card can be just used for entry into India anytime, without applying for a visa, that is all, it has no other use..you cannot vote in India, nor can you take up any employment in Govt./public sector, nor can you stand in elections..

But, isnt a PIO card enough to get into India without a visa? Why OCI for that? I thought OCI would give you equal rights as any other Indian citizen! A friend of mine recently got Australian citizenship and has applied for dual citizenship. He says the rights and responsibilities are just as good as any regular Indian citizen. Not sure though, after reading Braandan's post. But then of course that makes sense! I mean how can you be a member of the Assembly or Parliament if you are not even in this country?

jaiganes
23rd October 2006, 01:40 PM
not voting is my birthright. If I choose not to vote, then in a proper democracy, I should not be forced to do so. Offcourse, I shouldn't lament about poor roads and poor infrastructure by the same token. However if a person wants to have a dual citizenship or some form of restricted citizenship to visit India on a regular basis, I guess, the person should focus more on voting rights in his/her adopted country more than in India.
I vote regularly and I say it is a waste of time to go and vote. I would rather do my office work forsaking my voting right. This is born of the fact that we don't have "percentage polled" in India and it is based on a constituency based system. However that is a digression and can be taken up for discussion on another thread.

Braandan
23rd October 2006, 01:46 PM
You can buy agricultural/plantation property in India (which means you are outside urban limits, you can't build/buy an apartment complex and rent it out!)

Taken from some other site:
---------------------------

You will no longer need to apply for a visa to travel to India. You have rights for multiple entry and a multipurpose life long visa to visit India. However, you must carry and present both passports at the time of travel.

You will not have to go through any registration formalities for staying in the country for any length of time.

You will no longer have to provide separate documentation for admission to any college/institution or for employment.

You will be treated the same as a non-resident Indian with respect to the facilities available to the latter in the economic, financial and educational field, except in the acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.

Your children will be eligible for facilities as available to children of NRIs for obtaining admission to educational institutions in India, including medical colleges, engineering colleges, institute of technology, institute of management etc. under the general category

You can make the most of facilities under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Government and other government agencies