PDA

View Full Version : Which Western Movie you watched / watching recently.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

ajithfederer
25th July 2009, 01:38 AM
Vera ennanga edhir paakanum ?? :oops:

KB-la entertainment OK. But what's there in the film to be praised sky high :confused2:

For me films like Predator, T -2, True-lies, Forrest gump and all are not that great but they offer me great entertainment value. Eppo TV-la pottalum paaka thonum. Kill bill is in this group.

Memento, Prestige ellam great films dhaan(I do acknowledge ) but thirumba thirumba ukkandhu paaka mudiyuma. Atleast ennala mudiyadhu. Avvalavu yenga jackie chan padangal ellam enna all time great lists-la irukka but we do like him and see his movies right?? :huh:

P.S: I do state some films like Godfather 2, Pulp fiction combine them both together. Thats why they are in the elite league.

I have no better way to put this :oops:.

P.S: Everything above, IMHO

littlemaster1982
25th July 2009, 01:50 AM
AF,

You almost reflect my thoughts.

I would club Kill Bill with T-2 (though I find T2 much better), JC films.

Memento, Prestige are in another level (that WOW factor).

When I read some of the reviews of Kill Bill (not necessarily in hub), I was wondering whether I saw the same film. May be because I couldn't get the references/homages :?

P.S: Sorry if I'm being redundant. I don't know how to explain in a better way.

Nerd
25th July 2009, 02:03 AM
I think CR also raised the homage point. Honestly, I did not get the homages (to French neev wave?) at all. Still I like immensely like the film.

crajkumar_be
25th July 2009, 02:13 AM
Memento, Prestige ellam great films dhaan(I do acknowledge ) but thirumba thirumba ukkandhu paaka mudiyuma
I think Equanimus was talking about Memento a couple of days back.
Feddy, its the same with me - these are clever films. Memento, Prestige, Following, Phone Booth idhellam *clever* films. Aana thirumba okkandhu paakka mudiyadhu. Oru 'idhu' irukkaadhu.

crajkumar_be
25th July 2009, 02:29 AM
Others not so much. I think it is very important to approach the movies in his list in the right mood. I can't, even if someone put a gun to my head, appreciate a movie like Solaris on a Friday night.

Thats a good point. Movie watching is a very indulgent affair for me (ok, whenever time and situation permit). Mood-ku etha padam pakka select panradhe oru cosy luxury. Appadiye padathukku ulla poiranum, irrespective of external compulsions, etc etc :)

To add more - Goodfellas, American History X, Forrest Gump, The Pianist..
Oru kaalathula thirumbara thisai ellam American History pathiye pesitruppaanga...

groucho070
25th July 2009, 07:14 AM
To add more - Goodfellas, American History X, Forrest Gump, The Pianist..
Oru kaalathula thirumbara thisai ellam American History pathiye pesitruppaanga...Antha imsai taangga mudiyaama-taan innikki varaikkum paarkala :twisted:

Vivasaayi
25th July 2009, 07:28 AM
Kill Bill 1 and 2.......

sariyana entertainers rendume

Dark knight,psycho

Dark knight Ok va irundhuchu...IMDB ranking first 1 weekla number one paathutu romba edhirpaathen.."indha padam enakku puriya poradhilla...avlo soopera iruka povudhunnu yegathukku karpana pannitu poyi paatha...padam purinjadhu mattum illama..Ok va vera irundhuchu"

psycho.. yes...

Vivasaayi
25th July 2009, 07:30 AM
Prestige - Not as much thrilling or engaging as told to be

Vivasaayi
25th July 2009, 07:35 AM
sunset blvd

ipdiyodru mokkaya naan paathadhilla

Vivasaayi
25th July 2009, 08:49 AM
Lord of the Rings

Indha padathula apdi enna irundhuchu?

ajithfederer
25th July 2009, 09:58 AM
Adhaan paathuteengale!!

sunset blvd

ipdiyodru mokkaya naan paathadhilla

crajkumar_be
25th July 2009, 11:54 AM
Lord of the Rings

Worst "Best" films kanakkula indha padam varaadhe :)

Vivasaayi
25th July 2009, 01:42 PM
Lord of the Rings

won 17 oscars in total

imdb 13,21,33 among top 250

crajkumar_be
25th July 2009, 03:17 PM
Good Kostin! :oops:

VENKIRAJA
25th July 2009, 09:48 PM
1. TKAMB
2. Seven Samurai
3. On the waterfront
4. Fargo
5. Rear window
6. Streetcar named desire
7. Color of Paradise (Iranian)
8. Magnolia
9. Bonnie and Clyde
10. L.A Confidential

VENKIRAJA
25th July 2009, 09:51 PM
Nerd,

I liked Kill Bill and the sound track is one of my favorite. I just don't get the monumental praise for the film.

I have both the parts. Will watch them again :)

http://movievictims.blogspot.com/2009/02/kill-bill-herald-of-tributes.html

Not just this. Notice the scene before the Crazy88 stunt sequence. All in one single shot... Heights of technical brilliance.. Cinematography, editing, music :notworthy: Plus, considering both volumes a single entity might greatly help. :D

ajithfederer
26th July 2009, 12:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47gahDuOff8

Liked this dance bit from Starsky and Hutch which i watched this week. Ben stiller is high on drugs and does a commendable dance number. :).

The original song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zu0p7xWLoU

P_R
26th July 2009, 01:30 AM
Hudsucker Proxy

Quite enjoyable

Nerd
26th July 2009, 10:23 AM
The Hangover again. Still extremely hilarious :thumbsup:

I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD to pause and ROTFL at each of those pictures in the credits. I still have not got the whole thing yet. And I hope the extra features / deleted scenes have some videos of the happenings :P

Wibha
26th July 2009, 01:25 PM

I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD to pause and ROTFL at each of those pictures in the credits. I still have not got the whole thing yet. And I hope the extra features / deleted scenes have some videos of the happenings :P

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I'd love to see the marriage and the bet :rotfl: :rotfl:

Prabo
26th July 2009, 02:16 PM
The Hangover :wink:
Hilarious rite from the start to the end credits.

I think VP will now change the story of Goa

VENKIRAJA
26th July 2009, 03:05 PM
Cool Hand Luke.
Paul Newman :notworthy:
His character moved me and the final dialogue literally shook me off. Total surrender. But there were too many Catholic references eh? De Niro and Newman are the best actors in Hollywood IMO. And, the cinematography of the movie was amazing. The colours, angles and vivid editing throughout the film surprises me. '67!

ajithfederer
26th July 2009, 09:08 PM
Superbad :lol:.

Querida
27th July 2009, 05:32 AM
Cool Hand Luke.
His character moved me and the final dialogue literally shook me off. Total surrender. But there were too many Catholic references eh? De Niro and Newman are the best actors in Hollywood IMO. And, the cinematography of the movie was amazing. The colours, angles and vivid editing throughout the film surprises me. '67!

Yup really captivating and a character that has been a model for imitation for many a movie :)

Querida
27th July 2009, 05:33 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I'd love to see the marriage and the bet :rotfl: :rotfl:

The oriental dude was hilarious! Galifianakis's clueless one-liners were always spot on!

Querida
27th July 2009, 05:41 AM
Watched

Up - cute...really cute but not interest-grabbing enough for you not to point to some obvious reality questioning...*spoiler alert*[such as how come no one is searching for the kid when he goes missing for 3 days? How old is the crazy adventurer when his number one fan is already long in the tooth?]

Coraline- maybe I'm biased since I am a diehard fan of "nightmare before christmas" but this flick really made up for the disappointment that "corpse bride" was. Creepy, fascinating and wondrous :) After all it should be worth it after the agonizingly nitpicky, work a bunch of sleep deprived workaholic perfectionists would have taken to make this film...talk about dedication...(coraline.com gives you a glimpse). Worth a watch for those who like whimsy.

Nerd
27th July 2009, 06:41 AM
Frenzy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068611/)

Hitchcock's second last film. The film is about a psycopathic serial killer who rapes women and strangles them with his neck-tie to kill them. The first murder in which they show the whole thing and the second murder in which they don't show anything are equally impressive. Very well shot. I also liked the potato-truck scene. Spine chilling. Not as good as Hitchcock's best efforts but not bad either. Worth a watch definitely.

Thalafanz
27th July 2009, 06:51 AM
Hotel For Dogs - animal lovers/pet keepers will like it. :)

equanimus
27th July 2009, 11:16 AM
Memento, Prestige ellam great films dhaan(I do acknowledge ) but thirumba thirumba ukkandhu paaka mudiyuma
Feddy, its the same with me - these are clever films. Memento, Prestige, Following, Phone Booth idhellam *clever* films. Aana thirumba okkandhu paakka mudiyadhu. Oru 'idhu' irukkaadhu.
I see where you're coming from, Bala. Actually my comment on 'Memento' was not particularly about its "revisit value." It's no doubt an interesting film, but there's something "too neatly cut out" about it. The characters' act and behave so as to serve the plot design. It's all too clever, but markedly unaffecting. There's nothing really profound or even cathartic about its ruminations on "memory." For that, you have to watch a film like 'The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.'

And this is just about 'Memento.' I thought 'Following' was quite ordinary.

crajkumar_be
27th July 2009, 11:24 AM
I see where you're coming from, Bala. Actually my comment on 'Memento' was not particularly about its "revisit value." It's no doubt an interesting film, but there's something "too neatly cut out" about it. The characters' act and behave so as to serve the plot design. It's all too clever, but markedly unaffecting. There's nothing really profound or even cathartic about its ruminations on "memory." For that, you have to watch a film like 'The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.'

Yes, hence the lack of revisit value :)

equanimus
27th July 2009, 12:24 PM
First viewing 'E avvaLO oNNum piramAdham illainnu solla vandhEn.

groucho070
27th July 2009, 02:07 PM
Hudsucker Proxy

Quite enjoyable
Cool Hand Luke.
His character moved me and the final dialogue literally shook me off. Total surrender. But there were too many Catholic references eh? De Niro and Newman are the best actors in Hollywood IMO. And, the cinematography of the movie was amazing. The colours, angles and vivid editing throughout the film surprises me. '67!Newman Rules 8-)

crajkumar_be
27th July 2009, 07:22 PM
First viewing 'E avvaLO oNNum piramAdham illainnu solla vandhEn.
Aukay :)

ajithfederer
27th July 2009, 10:04 PM
Cape Fear - De Niro is good.

Querida
28th July 2009, 06:36 AM
I Am Sam

I often wonder how much I watch and admire a movie just because I know the main actor has been impressive in other movies, in this case Sean Penn. Sean Penn of course keeps true to his character but I would expect nothing less from someone who has decided to play such a role. I am happy on one hand that they kept the ending realistic, on the other hand I can't seem to believe Michelle Pfieffer role as the lawyer.It was like they needed just another big name to pump up this movie. Overall I'm glad I watched it but I would have been disappointed if I had gone to watch it in theaters.

groucho070
28th July 2009, 06:50 AM
Cape Fear - De Niro is good.Avalavuthaanaa? I had the fortune of seeing it on big screen. Appo pothuva paarattunangga. Ippo nothing like the original-nu (Mitchum) sollurangga :?

ajithfederer
28th July 2009, 07:10 AM
Illa, padamum nalla dhan irundadhu. Unfortunately I haven't seen the 1962 Gregory Pick film to comment :).

Cape Fear - De Niro is good.Avalavuthaanaa? I had the fortune of seeing it on big screen. Appo pothuva paarattunangga. Ippo nothing like the original-nu (Mitchum) sollurangga :?

Wibha
28th July 2009, 07:31 AM
The Ugly Truth :rotfl:

Querida
28th July 2009, 12:24 PM
The Ugly Truth :rotfl:

I'm actually passing over this flick for "500 days of summer" hoping it's as good as its reviews!

ajithfederer
28th July 2009, 10:47 PM
V for Vendettaa

Developed a good premise until the end. The thrilling aspect was there until the climax. Climax stands out bad compared to the rest of the movie which i agree that they wouldnt have a better way to finish the movie.

Must say that some of the dialogues uttered by V were very good.

ajithfederer
29th July 2009, 12:00 AM
First of all IMDB top 250 list itself is quote arguable. I'm not saying that every movie in the list doesn't deserve thier ranking. IMDB at its best can be used for knowing information about both obscure and popular movies.

Lord of the Rings

won 17 oscars in total

imdb 13,21,33 among top 250

Vivasaayi
29th July 2009, 12:07 AM
af,

nammala maadhiri theevira ulaga cinema critics vote potrundha paravaala...konjam standarda irukkum..

american paamara jananga vote potadhuthaana..konjam apdi ipdithan irukkum...ajis pannikalam

ajithfederer
29th July 2009, 12:14 AM
Romba overunga vicky :lol:.

P.S: Naan olaga cinema critic alllaa :notthatway:

af,

nammala maadhiri theevira ulaga cinema critics vote potrundha paravaala...konjam standarda irukkum..

american paamara jananga vote potadhuthaana..konjam apdi ipdithan irukkum...ajis pannikalam

Vivasaayi
29th July 2009, 12:21 AM
neenga othukutalum othukatiyum indha pakkam varra ellarume adhaan

Romba overunga vicky :lol:.

P.S: Naan olaga cinema critic alllaa :notthatway:

af,

ajithfederer
29th July 2009, 12:39 AM
Vicky,

Naan ellam gundoosi vikkaravan in terms of olaga cinema. But we have a good amount of Thozhil adhibars here. Avunga knawledge nekku kedayadhu.

Wibha
29th July 2009, 06:50 AM
Confessions of a Shopaholic :sigh2:

groucho070
29th July 2009, 07:23 AM
Leatherheads at HBO

Just when I was thinking of naming George Clooney as Robert Redford's kalai vaarisu, he came up with this cute slapstick football flick, the kind which the more serious Redford has never done. Both are hearthrobs, reasonably good actors and are politically left leaning and has never shied from showcasing their belief system on screen.

Anyway, this film is very entertaining, at times laugh out loud funny and Clooney the director really knows how to get the charm out of the films leads, himself and Rene Zellweger. No politics like the super serious Good Night & Good Luck. Great fun.

Vivasaayi
29th July 2009, 09:21 AM
Vicky,

Naan ellam gundoosi vikkaravan in terms of olaga cinema. But we have a good amount of Thozhil adhibars here. Avunga knawledge nekku kedayadhu.

haha...j/k

groucho070
30th July 2009, 08:03 AM
Ransom (1975) a revisit.

See the year again, its not that Mel Gibson film. This is more relaxedly paced film, a British production set in Norway. Only two recognisable name, Sean Connery and Ian McShane. I actually wrote a review on imdb under real name (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073796/usercomments) seven years ago! I still feel the same way about it now.

Thalafanz
30th July 2009, 11:10 AM

:lol: NIngga pArkka vEndiya padam tHAn... :P

Wibha
30th July 2009, 11:49 AM

:lol: NIngga pArkka vEndiya padam tHAn... :P

I hate shopping :poke:

Thalafanz
30th July 2009, 11:51 AM
NambittEn... :lol2:

groucho070
31st July 2009, 07:42 AM
Devil's Advocate revisit.

Keanu appadi ippadi-nu nadichittaru. Not bad. But Pacino is god...or should I say, the devil here :twisted:

VENKIRAJA
31st July 2009, 11:25 PM
Dirty Harry.
Clint Eastwood was ultra-cool. Vaat ya dialaak!

VENKIRAJA
2nd August 2009, 01:51 PM
V for Vendettaa

Developed a good premise until the end. The thrilling aspect was there until the climax. Climax stands out bad compared to the rest of the movie which i agree that they wouldnt have a better way to finish the movie.

Cape fear / V for V :shock:
unga characteraiyE purijukka mudiyalayE
Cape fear-la De Niro thavira enna irundhuchu? kuppa padam... IMO

Thalafanz
3rd August 2009, 06:39 AM
The Taking of Pelhem 123 :cool:

John Travolta - cool villain (Award nichayam-nu menaikurEn) :clap:
Denzel - as usual at his best :clap:

groucho070
3rd August 2009, 09:39 AM
Cape fear-la De Niro thavira enna irundhuchu? kuppa padam... IMOScorcese's directorial style. The cinematography (Cady sitting on the wall amidst the fireworks in the background is cartoonish but creepy). Juliet Lewis and Jessica Lange were excellent (Lewis got Oscar nomination, I think).

For geeks, we get to see Scorcese indulging in his usual fantasy on his women. He was dating Illeana Douglas at that time. Remember, she gets bitten off by Cady? Yeah, the same Scorcese who sat at the back of Travis Bickle's cab and fantasised about killing his wife off.

Another thing for geeks: The return of Bernard Hermann's score and the duo from the original, Peck and Mitchum, in a nice twist of characters.

Not Scorcese or De Niro's best, but great to see them doing a kind of homage to Hitchcock.

By the way, Spielberg was supposed to do this and Steven wanted Scorcese to direct Schindler's List. He then changed his mind and switched the project.

Kuppa padam :roll:

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 10:30 AM
Revisited Le Samourai and Blowup, reaffirmed they are the two most visually sleekest films I've seen so far.

"Farewell, my lovely".

A Great R.Chandler adaptation, a memorable Marlowe in Mitchum, seductive femme fatale in Rampling, and a compelling soundtrack from D.Shire. Forms a 70's neo-noir trinity of sorts, along with Chinatown, and A Long Goodbye. Absolutely a Must-watch.

VENKIRAJA
3rd August 2009, 11:21 AM
Cape fear-la De Niro thavira enna irundhuchu? kuppa padam... IMOScorcese's directorial style. The cinematography (Cady sitting on the wall amidst the fireworks in the background is cartoonish but creepy). Juliet Lewis and Jessica Lange were excellent (Lewis got Oscar nomination, I think).

For geeks, we get to see Scorcese indulging in his usual fantasy on his women. He was dating Illeana Douglas at that time. Remember, she gets bitten off by Cady? Yeah, the same Scorcese who sat at the back of Travis Bickle's cab and fantasised about killing his wife off.

Another thing for geeks: The return of Bernard Hermann's score and the duo from the original, Peck and Mitchum, in a nice twist of characters.

Not Scorcese or De Niro's best, but great to see them doing a kind of homage to Hitchcock.

By the way, Spielberg was supposed to do this and Steven wanted Scorcese to direct Schindler's List. He then changed his mind and switched the project.

Kuppa padam :roll:

Scorcesse latest pada trailer pArthengaLA? I'm getting the same feeling of getting a Cape fear from this one.. Shutter island. valikkudhu.. azhudhuruvEn.
I'm not a pundit or whatever, I need things straight from the film. Right? CF didn;t deliver for me. Average (or Below average) American film by Scorcesse's standards.

groucho070
3rd August 2009, 11:30 AM
Ooo...definitely average by Scorcese's standard. But an average Scorcese is so much better than...say...the best of Tony Scott or Joel Schumacer :x

But I would use that yardstick until 1995. I cannot watch anything Marti has done since then...including the much ballyhooed The Departed. Athukku oru Oscar vera :roll: And why the cow does he keep making movies with De Caprio who has an acting chops of a afternoon soap opera megastar? Payyanukku look irukku, konjam expressive-a irukkan. Ambuduthen. To compare him to young De Niro is a travesty to the man who played Travis (some do).

What other Scorcese films have you watched? I missed out only on Age Of Innocence and Kundun.

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 12:06 PM
Why go to Travis? Case in point could be the film in question, Cape fear. Considering he did "Awakenings" a year before, that's a remarkable range.

groucho070
3rd August 2009, 12:27 PM
Ada....I was trying to rhyme (ethukai) travesty to Travis. De Niro's range requires a separate thread to talk about...

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 12:30 PM
I was trying to rhyme (ethukai) travesty to Travis.

I thought so.

P_R
3rd August 2009, 04:48 PM
Animal Crackers

Tedious. Not a patch on Duck Soup.

Harpo's annoyingly funny.
Some moments here and there but overall quite a let down.

Groucho: Excuse me as I take this aside:lol:

Chico and Harpo bridge game
Harpo tries to sit in the opponent player's lap.
Pardon him, he thought it was contact bridge :lol: :lol:

P_R
3rd August 2009, 04:52 PM
Breathless by Jean-Luc Godard

Jump cut noted
Film as a whole unselected

VENKIRAJA
3rd August 2009, 06:08 PM

Jump cut noted

ithai An dha vAttar qpraNt-ku kudutha vArnink mAthiri vachukalAmA? Godard, Tartovsky, Fellini, David Lean, Kurasawa, Truffaut, estra ALunga padam ellAm ennabA seyyuRadhu? uyira kuduthu davunlOdu paNNiyirukEn. seeds-E irukkAdhu.. pala vAramAvum?!

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 06:15 PM
David Lean, and Kurasawa are very much accessible.

VENKIRAJA
3rd August 2009, 06:21 PM
Ooo...definitely average by Scorcese's standard. But an average Scorcese is so much better than...say...the best of Tony Scott or Joel Schumacer :x

But I would use that yardstick until 1995. I cannot watch anything Marti has done since then...including the much ballyhooed The Departed. Athukku oru Oscar vera :roll: And why the cow does he keep making movies with De Caprio who has an acting chops of a afternoon soap opera megastar? Payyanukku look irukku, konjam expressive-a irukkan. Ambuduthen. To compare him to young De Niro is a travesty to the man who played Travis (some do).

What other Scorcese films have you watched? I missed out only on Age Of Innocence and Kundun.
remba kammi. innaiku thAn King of Comedy pArkalAmnu irukEn. I was actually about to start with his filmography when Cape fear entered. End of Chapter.

David Lean, and Kurasawa are very much accessible.

neenga nejamAvE newbie-yA? :?
BTW, thanks for the clarification. nAn Lean-um ivinga gurup-nu nenachitEn.

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 06:30 PM
Why you'd want to collect their filmography unless for some semblance of liking any of their works?

P_R
3rd August 2009, 06:32 PM

Jump cut noted

ithai An dha vAttar qpraNt-ku kudutha vArnink mAthiri vachukalAmA? Godard, Tartovsky, Fellini, David Lean, Kurasawa, Truffaut, estra ALunga padam ellAm ennabA seyyuRadhu? uyira kuduthu davunlOdu paNNiyirukEn. seeds-E irukkAdhu.. pala vAramAvum?!

You are clumping too many folks togerher

varisaiyA varEn

Godard, Truffaut - no comments. Till now in FNW I have only seen Breathless and MX

Fellini - Amaracord in bits and pieces. Must rewatch. 8 1/2 corrupted. I took it as sign

David Lean - Brief Encounter was pretty good. Nothing fancy but simplicity is its attractive part. Yet to see other biggies. Yes, including Lawrence.

Tarkovsky - till now only a short called 'Streamroller and the Violin'. It was lovely. The length was just sufficiently engrossing for musing. Read the synopsis of Stalker. Highly unlikely I will like his others.

Which is why I have come to conclude I am unlikely to like many of the medium's masters. They have gone into musing and speculating in the medium when I remain impatient about the story.

I paraphrase from Sidney Lumet's 'Making Movies': "A movie is a
story. If you think it is not always the case, remember it always is"

Which is why Kurosawa is not in this league at all. AFAI have seen, he has stories to tell not visual musings on the human condition. Crucial crucial difference.

And where did On the Waterfront come up here ? Tennesse Williams play successfully received by General public before it was filmed. Story, character, dialogues, acting it is masala I say. Fight also !

equanimus
3rd August 2009, 06:36 PM
Godard, Truffaut - no comments. Till now in FNW I have only seen Breathless and MX
LOL! appuRam Truffaut'ai Enga izhuththInga! :lol:

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 06:43 PM
FNW? MX?

equanimus
3rd August 2009, 06:45 PM
kid-glove,
French New Wave. Mumbai Xpress. It's a joke on PR's part. Long story. No, actually, a short one.

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 07:12 PM
Thought so. For a brief moment, I thought it would have been an acronym for some Truffaut film.

Nerd
3rd August 2009, 07:26 PM
kid-glove = football vanity?! :P

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 07:27 PM
kid-glove = football vanity?! :P

kid-glove = FootballVanity + CineVanity :wink:

ajithfederer
3rd August 2009, 07:38 PM
Adhai than De-Niro is good-nnu decent aa sonnein.

Can't underware(understand) ur comment on V for V :huh:

V for Vendettaa

Cape fear / V for V :shock:
unga characteraiyE purijukka mudiyalayE
Cape fear-la De Niro thavira enna irundhuchu? kuppa padam... IMO

Nerd
3rd August 2009, 07:42 PM
Kid-glove, ungaLathaan thEdittu irunthaainga, welcome! :clap:

P_R
3rd August 2009, 07:58 PM
LOL! appuRam Truffaut'ai Enga izhuththInga! :lol:
izhuthadhu Venki. I just responded with: nEkku adhu theriyAdhu.

I am beginning to like Bertolucci's Dreamers more and more as I watch this.

kid-glove Oho ! varuga varuga.

equanimus
3rd August 2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, welcome kid-glove! :) (nAnum mudhallayE kaNdugunEn. vERa yArAchchum point out paNNattumnu vittuttEn.)

izhuthadhu Venki. I just responded with: nEkku adhu theriyAdhu.
appuRam dhAn gavanichchEn...

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 09:53 PM
Kid-glove, ungaLathaan thEdittu irunthaainga, welcome! :clap:

:thumbsup:

groucho070
4th August 2009, 07:10 AM
And where did On the Waterfront come up here ? Tennesse Williams play successfully received by General public before it was filmed. Story, character, dialogues, acting it is masala I say. Fight also ! :confused2: What sammantham, boss? :?

groucho070
4th August 2009, 07:19 AM
Speaking of Tennesse Williams. I watched...

Sweet Bird of Youth (1962)

Not as great as Cat On Hot Tin Roof. Newman was born to play this role, an actor-wannabe gigolo. Oh how it was to be an actor of that era and to act in Williams play or films based on his play. Anyway, movie is certainly not to be watched after heavy lunch on Sunday afternoon. Good study piece for actors.

groucho070
4th August 2009, 07:27 AM
Animal Crackers

Tedious. Not a patch on Duck Soup.AC is an exercise towards the classic that is Duck Soup. The films before DS were mostly script tied around gags. Hangover from their Vaudeville days.

Fav and probably one of the most famous quote: "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."

Saw this on IMDB forum:
Just wondering if anyone else caught the reference the Brothers made to Chaplin's short film The Immigrant. When Harpo is dealing the cards he shuffles them exactly as Chaplin did, and also when Dumont cuts the cards, Harpo piles the cards in the exact same order just as Chaplin did to his comic foil. I know they were big fans of his work so it makes sense. Anyone else catch it?

crajkumar_be
4th August 2009, 08:08 AM
:lol:

crajkumar_be
4th August 2009, 08:42 AM
Kid-glove, vaango vaango :)

groucho070
4th August 2009, 08:54 AM
CR, ingga athikama paarka mudiyila. Any great flicks you saw recently? Share pannungga. :)

crajkumar_be
4th August 2009, 09:03 AM
CR, ingga athikama paarka mudiyila. Any great flicks you saw recently? Share pannungga. :)
Naan remba naala padangal paakka mudiyama kashtappattutrundhen. Got some films to chew on recently.
Kadaisiya caught some films i missed and revisited some films i wanted to...

Loved WA's "Deconstructing Harry" - Outrageous and funny as hell :lol:

Wouldn't say the same about "Hannah And Her Sisters".

Throne Of Blood - Not one of Kuro-san's best i'm afraid

Remba naala paakka nenacha "Scarface" paathen. Pacino was breathing fire and intensity as usual, but padam pidikkala.

groucho070
4th August 2009, 09:14 AM
Ah...DC was great for me.

Harry Block: What? You have air-conditioning in Hell?
The Devil: Sure! F***s up the ozone layer!

Hannah, need to revisit but hesitating.

Throne of Blood innum paarkala :oops:

Scarface is a Brian De Palma film...not exactly a great director (same with The Untouchable, great cast, nice film). But the "little friend" reference, spoof, parody, appearances in games, facebook applications...yappappaa....real cultural contribution I must say.

kid-glove
4th August 2009, 10:30 AM
Kid-glove, vaango vaango :)

I liked "Hannah and Her Sisters", but then I always lap up a WA film, and chew the finer parts.

kid-glove
4th August 2009, 10:55 AM
De Palma is a favorite. Accused as a hack, a second rate director, I still love his earlier stuff which much owes to Hitchcock, and Antonioni. It dangerously lingers from being a homage to straight lifts. But there is a neat little craftsmanship and stylistic variations from DePalma to indulge on. Sometimes his ideas seem to be for effect, like Nancy Allen's "dream" in the denouement of "Dressed to Kill", but then it did occur,

In Dressed to Kill (http://archive.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/03/de_palma.html)the film is book-ended by the fantasies of its leading ladies. Kate Miller, the bourgeois housewife, escapes into her violent dreams because of a rotten sex life. Finally making her fantasies reality (by picking up a stranger in a museum) Kate's violent inner world follows suit, and she pays a price for her indiscretion. Enter Liz Blake who helps to solve the mystery behind Kate's murder and is then invited home, platonically, by Kate's son Peter (Keith Gordon). There, Liz dreams of her own death at the hands of the razor-wielding Bobbi, only to wake up in the very same bed Kate occupied at the film's outset. The prostitute who uses sex in her normal occupation 'dies' because of her stray into domestication. It's a darkly funny reversal of societal gender roles and, using the transsexual Bobbi as the connecting force between the two women, it adds to De Palma's complicated views of the opposite sex that are also a career constant.

I loved Scarface by the way, as a movie than entirely for Pacino. I didn't expect a complex character study, but a less empathetic look at a scummy Cuban Immigrant's shot at "American dream". Above all, I loved the stylistic devices to fixate 80's Miami. The background music is a favorite, too. [The short little montage clip they used in DVD menu is a classic].

P_R
4th August 2009, 11:32 AM
And where did On the Waterfront come up here ? Tennesse Williams play successfully received by General public before it was filmed. Story, character, dialogues, acting it is masala I say. Fight also ! :confused2: What sammantham, boss? :?

dung silip...I meant Streetcar.

Vivasaayi
4th August 2009, 11:36 AM
I have liked all the brian de palma movies that I have watched ...

Carlitos way is one of my most fav movies

Untouchables was very entertaining

Scarface than konjam iluvai...but then..Al pacini was :thumbsup:

P_R
4th August 2009, 11:36 AM
Saw this on IMDB forum:
Just wondering if anyone else caught the reference the Brothers made to Chaplin's short film The Immigrant. When Harpo is dealing the cards he shuffles them exactly as Chaplin did, and also when Dumont cuts the cards, Harpo piles the cards in the exact same order just as Chaplin did to his comic foil. I know they were big fans of his work so it makes sense. Anyone else catch it?

Oho !

It was funny independently. When she cuts the cards, Harpo throws her an independent look and puts it back the same way.

The game is hilarious. They don't declare the trumps, then when spade comes up for play he roughs. Next Harpo himself leads spade :lol: Chico says...no no.. no spades. Harpo withdraws and tears up the card.

After that it is ace after ace. After some point every card he drops is an ace of spades :rotfl:

Chico: He plays a good hand, that boy :lol:

groucho070
4th August 2009, 11:58 AM
Chaplin and the Bros are fans of each other. Chaplin especially is a regular at the the Bros broadway shows, and envied Groucho's rapid fire delivery & timing.

P_R
4th August 2009, 12:02 PM
Throne Of Blood - Not one of Kuro-san's best i'm afraid
Oh... appidingreengaLA.

I really enjoyed it. Particularly Toshiro Mifune's performance and of course because the 'how they drew the parallel' curiosity since we know the story already.

After the first prophecy comes true (he is promoted), he draws in a sharp breath. As much surprise and shock that he can show in public and yet convince the audience of his reaction. Then he walks out of the assembly with Banco (forgot the character's name). Because of the next prophecy he shoots him a suspicious sideways glance as he walks out.

The scene where he wakes up from his sleep when sitting (the birds displaced before the forest moves), the slowly realization that he is sinking was very well done.

And the arrow rain in the end was breathtaking. You can see the fear of death in his face as he tries to run away from the inescapable. Firstly the idea of the general being killed by his own men ( departure from the original) is itself excellent. The height of insecurity.

Apparently Kuroswa wanted the extras to shoot the arrows and Mifune protested :lol: So they hired some archers to shoot from close range. Just off the camera. I still don't get how they shot the final arrow through his neck. I tried pausing and playing umpteen times. The only possible way is that the before and after shots were two different frames.

- The cut is undetectable.
- His head and other arrows in the wall are in the exact same position. So he must have had a sense of frame composition that is mindblogging in its perfection. (No monitor then, mind you)

Of course the story is itself quite impressive and absorbing.

P_R
4th August 2009, 12:10 PM
Chaplin and the Bros are fans of each other. Chaplin especially is a regular at the the Bros broadway shows, and envied Groucho's rapid fire delivery & timing.

Yeah I've heard of that. There is even a theory that Harpo was kept silent (even in public appearances) inspired by Chaplin being silent well into the talkies era.

Harpo's silliness is awesome. One of my friends was so annoyed by the peanut vendor sequence in Duck Soup that he wanted to wring Harpo's neck :lol:

Even here, he was the best part of the film for me. The "hanging one's leg in other's hands" is inexplicably funny.

Chico and get Harpo outrageous with 'Abie the Fishman' and show the birthmark on his elbow to prove his identity. As he leaves in a huff, Chico nicks his tie and asks Harpo what he got. Harpo shows his elbow which has the birthmark :rotfl2:

His intro scene when he shoots everything in sight, including a statue which shoots back :lol:

Chico & Harpo inspire (http://dagalti.blogspot.com/2009/08/bridgelopement.html)silliness.

groucho070
4th August 2009, 12:53 PM

Watch Horses Feathers and you will know the inspiration for the title of the movie Swordfish :D Courtesy of our Harpo of course.

Sure Chaplin influence is there, he just one-upped the zaniness. Sheer Anarchy (Mere Anarchy incidentally is a title of Woody Allen's new book, padichiteenggala?).

Groucho's version of Harpo's silence has to do with a incident when they were on the road doing shows. Bad time. At one place, the manager refused to pay them, and Harpo, when the boys were leaving, cursed him, hoping that the building will burn down. True enough, the building burnt down the next day....scared, the brothers told him to shut up since then....

....but then that's Groucho's version :twisted:

kid-glove
4th August 2009, 01:09 PM
Duplicity. Made by Tony Gilroy, and starring Clive Owen, & Julia Roberts. Not impressive. Wish it had used Wilkinson and Giamatti better.

kid-glove
4th August 2009, 01:21 PM
The Arrow sequence from "Throne of Blood" was impressive. It's pretty apparent that neck arrow is fake. And the sequence should be a series of different shots and 'match cut' edit. Mifune should have been patient while Akira and crew got the proper set of images.

P_R
4th August 2009, 02:02 PM
It's pretty apparent that neck arrow is fake.

Oh is it ? :oops:
Cut is visible ?

I got that the one that 'pierces' the left side of the neck is not the one that appears to come out from the other side. But the trajectory and most importantly the timing was so perfect that I just couldn't make out what happened.

kid-glove
4th August 2009, 02:37 PM
1/16 of normal playing speed, or usage of 'step frame' motion. Better yet place .vob file of HD DVD into Sony Vegas, and see it in frames (REGION 3/PAL would be 25 fps I think).

ajithfederer
5th August 2009, 12:07 AM
Oh yea almost forgot

Thilak, vaanga sar vaanga :).

Vivasaayi
5th August 2009, 12:17 AM
kid-glove is thilak huh?

welcome kid :)

ajithfederer
5th August 2009, 04:07 AM
The hangover - 2nd time on big screen :rotfl2:

Wibha
5th August 2009, 05:26 AM
Rudy :D

Thalafanz
5th August 2009, 06:21 AM
The Proposal
Ghosts of Girlfriends past

Both are chick flicks... :wink:

Wibha, nIngga pArkka vEndiya padanggal... :P

kid-glove
5th August 2009, 01:39 PM
Hi Feddy
Hello Vicky.

groucho070
5th August 2009, 01:42 PM
Hi Feddy
Hello Vicky.Thilak eh? I see, I see. Why the second life? :D

Dinesh84
5th August 2009, 01:43 PM
The Truman Show :bow:

P_R
5th August 2009, 04:38 PM
1/16 of normal playing speed, or usage of 'step frame' motion. Better yet place .vob file of HD DVD into Sony Vegas, and see it in frames (REGION 3/PAL would be 25 fps I think).

theLiva purinjidhu

kid-glove
5th August 2009, 04:57 PM
The neck arrow sequence (or simply put the frames) in question is viewable by two modes:

a) 1/16 of normal playing speed, or usage of 'step frame' motion. - Available on DVD players, or in DVD playing software (if you were to use Computer)

b) place .vob file of HD DVD into Sony Vegas, and see it in frames (REGION 3/PAL would be 25 fps I think).
- Song Vegas is a video editing software, it can get the exact frames. (I use this to make compilation videos, or doing some random editing for personal videos)
Dvds of Akira's films are either region code 1 or region code '2'. But I have a 'Throne of blood' DVD with region code '3'. Official Criterion DVD is Criterion Region 1. The default NTSC frame rating is 29.97 frames per second (fps). On the other hand, the dvd I own is PAL formatted, and it gives about 25 frames per second.
This is only fossible in PC.

kid-glove
5th August 2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Feddy
Hello Vicky.Thilak eh? I see, I see. Why the second life? :D

I don't believe in afterlife. But the hub defies belief.

VENKIRAJA
5th August 2009, 06:11 PM
KidGlove, :shock:
"I thought so.You were telling something about best intentions?"

For your question, I don't know how to answer. padam pArkalAm-nu anthology d/l paNNa Arambichu sila padangaL DDL-la kedaikala. So, I am waiting. Plus, how would I know about them if I don't watch them?

PR, neenga SCND pArthuttu unseletted pOttadhA nyAbagam. So, checked again.

Appu s
5th August 2009, 06:19 PM

theLiva purinjidhu

Appu s
5th August 2009, 06:20 PM
Blood Diamond,The kingdom back to back, wat an entertainment i had :notworthy:

P_R
5th August 2009, 06:45 PM

And this is just about 'Memento.' I thought 'Following' was quite ordinary.

Hmm... Memento-vai Phone booth-Oda club paNNa CR-ku vanmaiyaana kaNdanam.

Saw ESOTSM only once and memento 1.5 times, so can't comment about revisit (adhukkaaga karuthu sollAma irukka mudiyumA).

Memento is the cleverest film I have watched and IMO not in a 'too clever for its own good'. I like it pretty much for the same reason I like 16 vayathinilE. In that there was nothing before that matched its freshness and originality.

Yes it is a one-trick pony. But so much variety was achieved even with the one trick. The manipulativeness in varying degree of those around, the most inventive chase ever, being able to 'connect' to the sense of loss felt by the lead character, asking the audience to watch put in cache and reconnect the dots (without making it too demanding to be interesting) - given the short window thing.

Dismiss paNNunga. VENaangalai. aanaa Phone Booth, Prestiege maadhiri clever-nu oru label-ai ottii OramA vaichiraadheenga.

P_R
5th August 2009, 06:48 PM
KidGlove (peyarkaaraNam ennavO ?). Thanks for trying to explain. Enakku oru maadhiri puriyudhu. I will try it out.

PR, neenga SCND pArthuttu unseletted pOttadhA nyAbagam. So, checked again. Yeah. Brando's performance is everything in that film. Vivien Leigh is kinda annoyingly over the top.

But accessibility is never a problem. adhai sonnEn

equanimus
5th August 2009, 07:51 PM
Dismiss paNNunga. VENaangalai. aanaa Phone Booth, Prestiege maadhiri clever-nu oru label-ai ottii OramA vaichiraadheenga.
I'm with you here, PR. I was just talking about 'Memento' (and Nolan) there. I haven't really seen 'Phone Booth', but bracketing 'Memento' with it sounds just wrong (parkkAmalEyE)! And actually, I think 'The Prestige' is a strong work and wouldn't hesitate to talk about it in the same breath as 'Memento.'

Don't mistake me, I certainly found 'Memento' a very engaging film, but (pardon me for repeating the same vague expression) something is too neatly cut out about it. There's a great moment (and there's not much else in the film that gets close) early in the film where a Polaroid photograph fades instead of developing because the film is playing literally backwards. I think this is the psychological register of the film. Where you see memory fading. But this experience is at odds with the knowledge that it is so only because the film is actually playing backwards. Figuratively speaking, this is precisely the dilemma one faces watching the film.

kid-glove
5th August 2009, 08:02 PM

Is this related to the chat session we had few days back?

For your question, I don't know how to answer. padam pArkalAm-nu anthology d/l paNNa Arambichu sila padangaL DDL-la kedaikala. So, I am waiting. Plus, how would I know about them if I don't watch them?

Okay.

equanimus
5th August 2009, 08:09 PM
kid-glove,
I think Venkiraja is quoting from 'Pulp Fiction' there!

P.S.: And talking of retorts, I'm kind of expecting a strong one from an honourable Nolan fan like you!

equanimus
5th August 2009, 08:13 PM
Ok, it's dumb of me to not have realised that you got that and are asking whatever you are asking, as a result. :)

kid-glove
5th August 2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah, it's from Jules to Brett. I was trying to get under the quote, to get the exact context.

Reg. Memento,
I don't know how I could refute the point.
I understand there is a clever design with neatly cut out patterns. However, I'm not entirely sure it would diminish its "greatness". (At worst, it was called a 'gimmick' by Rosenbaum.) You made your point, and I understand. But I like cleverly made gimmicks.

kid-glove
5th August 2009, 08:38 PM
peyarkaaraNam ennavO
-
I like the word. It also fits my job profile and the way I(socially) am. But then, what's there in a name?

P_R
6th August 2009, 12:30 AM
I haven't really seen 'Phone Booth', but bracketing 'Memento' with it sounds just wrong (parkkAmalEyE)!

Very good. Ippidi thaan irukkaNum.
Phone Booth is about Colin Farrel being stuck in a phone booth for an hour and a half as a hidden sharpshooter (who is on the phone) threatens to kill him if he steps out. How his life is shaken and dirty linen is washed in public is what the 'psychological thriller' is all about.

Ippo sollunga, CR-ai enna paNNalaam.

And actually, I think 'The Prestige' is a strong work and wouldn't hesitate to talk about it in the same breath as 'Memento.'
I felt it was 'inefficient' in that it was laborious and didn't get as much effect for being so. Thoroughly enjoyable movie neverhtheless. I somehow managed to guess the twists (I am usually not very good at this) early and that made it a little less interesting. Plus Scarlett Johansson.

The taut pace of Memento puts it in a different league in my books.
Parts of Prestiege reminded me of Insomnia - the movie whose title is an inside joke.

There's a great moment (and there's not much else in the film that gets close) early in the film where a Polaroid photograph fades instead of developing because the film is playing literally backwards. I think this is the psychological register of the film. Where you see memory fading. But this experience is at odds with the knowledge that it is so only because the film is actually playing backwards. Figuratively speaking, this is precisely the dilemma one faces watching the film.
I am not sure I got that. Why is it at odds ?

I particularly love the v-o in the scene where Guy Pearce talks being stuck without a sense of time. He is romantically obsessed simply because the events have made him freeze in a timeless space. So his character is defined not by his will as much as the events that have put him in that condition. He is not so much in love with his wife as much as that loving his wife is the only thing he can remember to do. Time would have perhaps eroded his personality and caused change. Does it perhaps make a difference whether he is being manipulated by the Joe Pantoliano character. He is not in a position to judge. Only we are. And perhaps we ought not to be outraged at the manipulation.

Another reason why I like it so much is I remember seeing it back to back with Adaptation. So the aftertaste encouraging drawing out tangents.

John Laroche: You know why I like plants?
Susan Orlean: Nuh uh.
John Laroche: Because they're so mutable. Adaptation is a profound process. Means you figure out how to thrive in the world.
Susan Orlean: [pause] Yeah but it's easier for plants. I mean they have no memory. They just move on to whatever's next. With a person though, adapting almost shameful. It's like running away.

Querida
6th August 2009, 05:50 AM
"Boys Don't Cry"

After being bored by Swank's weepy wife in "P.S. I Love You" yet being thoroughly impressed with her role in "Million Dollar Baby" I ventured to watch this movie. What followed was dread and disgust that this was based on a true incident. No doubt Swank earned her Oscar for this role.

Thalafanz
6th August 2009, 06:34 AM
"Boys Don't Cry"

After being bored by Swank's weepy wife in "P.S. I Love You" yet being thoroughly impressed with her role in "Million Dollar Baby" I ventured to watch this movie. What followed was dread and disgust that this was based on a true incident. No doubt Swank earned her Oscar for this role.

Of course, Eastwood padam-AchE... :)

groucho070
6th August 2009, 07:32 AM
"Boys Don't Cry"

Of course, Eastwood padam-AchE... :) :D Sure, it is because Talaivar's minimalistic approach matched her own hard work. She really pulled it off. "Antha" climax illaamalum, she would have got the attention from the critics. One of the best performances from an actress in recent years. Can't be the Brits all the time, can it :wink:

Dilbert
6th August 2009, 10:41 AM
The Ugly truth....

Bulter.. is just too good.. !! Great..

Now that you guys are discussing about .. eastwood..

Grand Tarino.. wast just classic.. eastwood..
climax..just freakin too my breath way... great performance..

groucho070
6th August 2009, 01:15 PM
What intrigued me about Gran Torino and MDM is Eastwood's handling of religion. It's discussed in MDM, which takes on a liberal outlook on issues like Euthanasia, which sort of repeats itself in Gran Torino...let's face it that death was facilitated. Best of all is his final pose...don't tell me that is not familiar? Vayasaanoona talaivar is making peace with the creator? Or is it the opposite...very intriguing.

crajkumar_be
6th August 2009, 03:39 PM
Adhula paarunga, Memento > Phone Booth, kandippa.
Idhu ellam thorayama oru raga padangal nu solla vandhen, avvalavu dhaan

PR,
One kostin. You have expressed your indifference towards "musings" etc in films and you would take a story to be told anyday. Aana, ungalukku migavum piditha sila padangala paatha andha kodu blur aagara madhiri theriyidhe. I mean let's take Adaptation.... (padam thulyama nyabagam illa)

I haven't really seen 'Phone Booth', but bracketing 'Memento' with it sounds just wrong (parkkAmalEyE)!

Very good. Ippidi thaan irukkaNum.
Phone Booth is about Colin Farrel being stuck in a phone booth for an hour and a half as a hidden sharpshooter (who is on the phone) threatens to kill him if he steps out. How his life is shaken and dirty linen is washed in public is what the 'psychological thriller' is all about.

Ippo sollunga, CR-ai enna paNNalaam.

And actually, I think 'The Prestige' is a strong work and wouldn't hesitate to talk about it in the same breath as 'Memento.'
I felt it was 'inefficient' in that it was laborious and didn't get as much effect for being so. Thoroughly enjoyable movie neverhtheless. I somehow managed to guess the twists (I am usually not very good at this) early and that made it a little less interesting. Plus Scarlett Johansson.

The taut pace of Memento puts it in a different league in my books.
Parts of Prestiege reminded me of Insomnia - the movie whose title is an inside joke.

There's a great moment (and there's not much else in the film that gets close) early in the film where a Polaroid photograph fades instead of developing because the film is playing literally backwards. I think this is the psychological register of the film. Where you see memory fading. But this experience is at odds with the knowledge that it is so only because the film is actually playing backwards. Figuratively speaking, this is precisely the dilemma one faces watching the film.
I am not sure I got that. Why is it at odds ?

I particularly love the v-o in the scene where Guy Pearce talks being stuck without a sense of time. He is romantically obsessed simply because the events have made him freeze in a timeless space. So his character is defined not by his will as much as the events that have put him in that condition. He is not so much in love with his wife as much as that loving his wife is the only thing he can remember to do. Time would have perhaps eroded his personality and caused change. Does it perhaps make a difference whether he is being manipulated by the Joe Pantoliano character. He is not in a position to judge. Only we are. And perhaps we ought not to be outraged at the manipulation.

Another reason why I like it so much is I remember seeing it back to back with Adaptation. So the aftertaste encouraging drawing out tangents.

John Laroche: You know why I like plants?
Susan Orlean: Nuh uh.
John Laroche: Because they're so mutable. Adaptation is a profound process. Means you figure out how to thrive in the world.
Susan Orlean: [pause] Yeah but it's easier for plants. I mean they have no memory. They just move on to whatever's next. With a person though, adapting almost shameful. It's like running away.

P_R
6th August 2009, 04:09 PM
You have expressed your indifference towards "musings" etc in films and you would take a story to be told anyday. Aana, ungalukku migavum piditha sila padangala paatha andha kodu blur aagara madhiri theriyidhe. I mean let's take Adaptation.... (padam thulyama nyabagam illa)

Well the makers need to consciously try to engross the viewer. That is all I ask. And Kamal is one helluva writer precisely for this reason.

You can watch any Kamalwritten film in, say, a post-party state without actively summoning every fibre of your conscioussness and still enjoy it. Then upon cafreful viewing and reflection further rewards await. But never ever are you disappointed and made to feel bad like: "had I watched it carefully then perhaps...etc."

Films that expect audience's attention without trying to earn it annoy me. reNdu maNi nEram paakkurOm kadaisila "life is like that"-nu sonnA thitta dhaan seyvEn.

Adaptation is one film where I am able to relate to almost every single scene/line. There may be many I enjoy and remember with distance enough to applaud. This one is too personal. Namma MADDY sila nEram "that-is-me" 'mbAr-la adhu maadhiri. :-)

So I won't lay claims to objectivity here. But it is engrossing first and that is what encourages one to delve into the ..ahem.. depths.

In one scene Susan Orlean (Meryl Streep) is having dinner with friends and they are all laughing about John Laroche (Chris Cooper). She joins in the laugh too. She does not actually agree with them. But it is not that she has strong disagreement and is keeping up appearances. She just finds it comfortable to laugh along than take pains to explain how he is 'bigger' than the laughing stock they are making him out to be in that dinner table. Even if she tried she wouldn't be able to explain, she had just met him and is impressed but still figuring out what.

That reluctance, how easily we join in with bashing sometimes though our opinions are slightly different but still feel bad and can't do anything because we don't have a strong enough opposite opinion. And even if we had we wouldn't explain to the crowd. And not that we 'hate' the crowd, you just feel distant.

The challenge of writing is capturing a multidimensional reality into the black ink on white. 'To whittle the world down to a more manageable size'. And that is exactly the challenge is felt in that scene. It is not a challenge in writing but in living itself.

Fantastic conceptualization, writing, acting.

Perhaps this sort of thing would have come in some Abbas Kiarostami film. And I would have missed it because I nodded off. It is only Adaptation that leads me to reflect on this deeply enough.

crajkumar_be
6th August 2009, 05:25 PM
Miga thelivana vilakkathukku nandri PR :)

kannannn
6th August 2009, 10:05 PM
I don't remember much of Memento, but I thought the themes and motifs in Memento very much reflected what Gaspar Noe tried in Irreversible - that any story is a happy one (or sad) when played in a particular chronological order. The particular scene perhaps just mirrors the overall impact of the film on the viewer - not that of triumphant exhilaration over the revenge, but a sad reminder of how it all started!!

kid-glove - welcome back :D

I loved Scarface by the way, as a movie than entirely for Pacino. I didn't expect a complex character study, but a less empathetic look at a scummy Cuban Immigrant's shot at "American dream". Above all, I loved the stylistic devices to fixate 80's Miami.
Watching Scarface was an underwhelming experience, mainly because the story was not well told. It didn't add anything new to the genre of gangster movies and the psychoanalysis of the lead character was half-baked (the sister character felt like being thrust into the story as an afterthought). BTW, I must admit that I had an irresistable urge to revisit Scarface on watching Mr. Garrison introduce Cartman in the school talent show: 'Eric Cartman presenting selected readings from the movie 'Scarface'' - you can imagine how that would have ended. :lol:

Latest movie: Hangover - Not many LoL moments though it does manage to extract a few chuckles. The only scene I genuinely liked was the one where one of the bridegroom's friends tries to placate the maniacal Chinese man: "I hate Godzilla too man.. Destroying cities is not cool.." :lol:

P_R
6th August 2009, 10:29 PM
ungaLai thaan edhirpaaththuttu irundhEn
Innum Hangover paakkalai. Was awaiting a comparitive assessment wrt Dude Where's my car

kannannn
6th August 2009, 11:57 PM
Comparison'e illai PR. DWiMC is way, way funnier. There is something deeply unsettling about a group of almost middle-aged men attempting to be stupid, which is what Hangover is. DWiMC is no-holds barred, nonsensical anarchy and it seemed to me that the writers of Hangover have tried too hard to tone down the events leading to the next day morning, trying to appeal to a wider audience. As a result, the movie is never the all-out-fun it should have been. And more importantly, the actors here lack the exuberance of Kutcher and Scott that gives movies of this kind their appeal.

kid-glove
7th August 2009, 01:21 AM
I don't remember much of Memento, but I thought the themes and motifs in Memento very much reflected what Gaspar Noe tried in Irreversible - that any story is a happy one (or sad) when played in a particular chronological order. The particular scene perhaps just mirrors the overall impact of the film on the viewer - not that of triumphant exhilaration over the revenge, but a sad reminder of how it all started!!

Interesting parallel there, Kannannn.

the psychoanalysis of the lead character was half-baked (the sister character felt like being thrust into the story as an afterthought).
I didn't read too much into psychoanalysis (as I said, it is never a complex character study). Given the lead character's caricatured demeanor, It felt DePalma 'showcases' the moments without pondering over vacuousness of Tony's life. The relaxed times (with Tony Montana?), and the layers of relationships wouldn't add more sense. In so many respects, it's an utterly simplistic look at a despicable misfit. What more sense could one make of his 'distrust'? Thus it'd be bit wise to present a parable of rage, and destruction. I liked the film.

I must admit that I had an irresistable urge to revisit Scarface on watching Mr. Garrison introduce Cartman in the school talent show: 'Eric Cartman presenting selected readings from the movie 'Scarface'' - you can imagine how that would have ended. :lol:
I don't remember the exact episode, but I could make out how it would have ended, yes. It is also quite evident Trey P and Matt Stone understood the cultural importance of Tony Montana, a recurring figure in SP.

crajkumar_be
7th August 2009, 01:28 AM
The background music is a favorite, too
Yeah, the score was super!

kid-glove
7th August 2009, 02:25 AM
The short little montage clip they used in DVD menu is a classic

I uploaded it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_puXIAdgVo)to youtube.

P_R
7th August 2009, 07:55 PM
[tscii:bc443e18a1]Thank You kannan.
The overarching silliness of Dude..

Girls we have just three words for you. Anger manage ment

I owe it a revisit.

Chanced upon an old Kaufman interview. Some of you folks may have read it (http://passionforcinema.com/being-charlie-kaufman).

When talking about Adaptation

Uniformity of emotions shown in most films is too unreal and we feel jealous because it looks perfect. My idea of what a film should be and how a script should be is what i put in there. Some of that still exists in me, some has moved on. :bow:

Q.-Adaptation was a lot like Fellini’s 8 1/2 but much more deeper and modern.
A.-I have not seen 8 1/2. A lot of people told me that, so I decided I will not and never see that film and I haven’t. So I don’t know what you are talking about. :-)

He has a cruel comment about the popularity of Eternal Sunshine :P

kadaisiyA oru alpa sandhOsham same pinch

Monsters Inc is my favourite animation movie. I did not like Wall.E. :-)

[/tscii:bc443e18a1]

kid-glove
7th August 2009, 08:49 PM
I loved 'Synecdoche' when I watched it again recently. Think it will soon become my favorite Kaufman film.

kid-glove
7th August 2009, 09:05 PM
C'etait un rendez-vous

A short film with a single long shot of a drive through Paris. I've uploaded the HQ video to vimeo (http://vimeo.com/5985165/). I find it aesthetically pleasing, and brilliant.

P_R
7th August 2009, 10:12 PM
I loved 'Synecdoche' when I watched it again recently. Think it will soon become my favorite Kaufman film.
oru comparative analyses post paNradhu

complicateur
7th August 2009, 10:54 PM
oru comparative analyses post paNradhu
Seconded!

kid-glove
7th August 2009, 11:11 PM
I'll compile a video with VO and texts. Would be a first.

groucho070
8th August 2009, 07:39 AM
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Superfun. Wonder why I missed it first time around. Probably never made it here. Absoloutely ingenious way of translating Odyssey to the depression era.

This is another step in the evolution of comedy. The brothers did a fantastic job.

P_R
8th August 2009, 09:30 AM

Superfun. Wonder why I missed it first time around. Probably never made it here. Absoloutely ingenious way of translating Odyssey to the depression era.

This is another step in the evolution of comedy. The brothers did a fantastic job.

Been in my to-watch list for long.

Saw it in bits and pieces when in college and didn't enjoy it. Age of ignorance.

P_R
8th August 2009, 09:34 AM
The Wrestler

Finally.

Lovely film. Great acting by Marisa Tomei and Mickey Rourke (what are his other films).

groucho070
8th August 2009, 09:40 AM
Nothing worth mentioning as of now (Sin City-la iruppaaru, but in Dasa-esque makeup).

He was good in early days...there was some sort of promise appO, like in Year of Dragon, or Angel Heart, A Prayer For The Dying and a few others. And then, as one critic said, "he went bald and became Bruce Willis" :lol:

Good actor. Worships Brando. He is in Iron Men 2 with that that....Scarlett Blandssen. :evil:

groucho070
8th August 2009, 09:41 AM
Saw it in bits and pieces when in college and didn't enjoy it. Age of ignorance.We may be at odds in other vishayams...but trust me, you'd love this. Clooney's dialogue actually reminded me of your writing which needs not reading, but deciphering. :P

kid-glove
8th August 2009, 10:00 AM
Though be warned, the first quarter of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is known to shoo off the viewer. It's a test, let's see if you could pass it.

VENKIRAJA
8th August 2009, 01:33 PM

Is this related to the chat session we had few days back?

Okay.

:)
Right.

Vivasaayi
8th August 2009, 02:18 PM
Dead man's shoes

Simple,effective and gripping.

ajithfederer
8th August 2009, 10:20 PM
Blue Velvet

crajkumar_be
9th August 2009, 01:33 AM

Been in my to-watch list for long.

Saw it in bits and pieces when in college and didn't enjoy it. Age of ignorance.
Padam pidikkalenna enakku ketta kovam varum amaam!

Nerd
9th August 2009, 09:22 AM
Though be warned, the first quarter of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is known to shoo off the viewer. It's a test, let's see if you could pass it.
Exactly. It's a regular in HBO here. I *tried* watching it about 4-5 times but could not get past the first 15 minutes or so. But one fine day I managed to watch the whole thing and was impressed. Not as good as say TBL or BAR but good nevertheless :)

Wibha
9th August 2009, 10:50 AM
500 days of summer :D

OMG the movie was goood :D :D :D .Better than what I had expected :)

P_R
9th August 2009, 11:30 AM
Oh ok...seekkiramE paathura vENdiyadhu dhaan. :-)
Raising Arizona ahead.

Just watched City Lights after ages.
Brilliant. No other word for it.

The Cigar Butt scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURcPiLrrSc)

Vivasaayi
9th August 2009, 01:11 PM
Oh ok...seekkiramE paathura vENdiyadhu dhaan. :-)
Raising Arizona ahead.

Just watched City Lights after ages.
Brilliant. No other word for it.

The Cigar Butt scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURcPiLrrSc)

The scene where he ogles at the statue in the shop,boxing match,climax... :clap:

In my top 5!

crajkumar_be
10th August 2009, 03:01 PM
Hangover - Nammala madhiri aatkal kandippa paakka vendiya padam. Oru thadava paakkalaam

groucho070
10th August 2009, 03:18 PM
Hangover - Nammala madhiri aatkal kandippa paakka vendiya padam. Oru thadava paakkalaamDefine this :D Rembe risque-na PM pannungga. I still haven't seen it...scared that it might be too crude or something.

crajkumar_be
10th August 2009, 03:25 PM
Ella citizens-um paakkanum nu sonnen Groucho :)
Aana padam edhirpaartha alavu funny a illa...

groucho070
10th August 2009, 03:31 PM
Alrighty then :)

littlemaster1982
10th August 2009, 06:08 PM

:exactly:

Vivasaayi
10th August 2009, 06:51 PM
The Kid - charlie chaplin

:clap:

Moondram Pirai was more close to this movie than city lights.

ajithfederer
10th August 2009, 08:54 PM
Idhai vida funny aa neenga enna edhirpaathenga?? :shock:.
Seriously speaking coming to hub these days scares me very badly.

P.S: Annan bala, this is a one-off reaction not made only on ur post alone.

ajithfederer
10th August 2009, 08:55 PM
Oh idhukku exactly verayaa :lol: :yessir: .

:exactly:

ajithfederer
10th August 2009, 08:58 PM
Accepted

A teenage student who leaves high school is extremely frustrated that all colleges reject him due to his bad scores. Dejected badly and facing pressure from his family he needs to join college immediately. In despair he creates his own college South Harmon Inst. of Technology (abbreviated SHI@ T :lol: ). Now he has to face the society and make it REAL. Laughs here and there and not a bad one.

villan007
10th August 2009, 09:01 PM

adhan nekum purialai :?

kid-glove
10th August 2009, 09:01 PM
"Hangover" was enjoyable and funny at many places. Don't know if it could be put to ambience of the theater, the like-minded group with whom I watched.

P_R
10th August 2009, 09:02 PM

Actually one of my friends reflected the same opinion as Kannan. Funny but nowhere near 'Dude..'

ajithfederer
10th August 2009, 09:06 PM
I have not seen Dude where is my car.

But naan paatha hollywood comedies laye this one betters superbad and knocked up. This one was too funny for me. I cannot recollect a movie funnier as this.

Actually one of my friends reflected the same opinion as Kannan. Funny but nowhere near 'Dude..'

kid-glove
10th August 2009, 10:17 PM
J'aime 14eme Arrondissement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2EbK0NEl5A), hors de "Paris, je t'aime".

P.s: How to type the French form of e, with a apostrophe pointing backwards on top of it.

crajkumar_be
10th August 2009, 10:58 PM
I'll compile a video with VO and texts. Would be a first.

P_R
10th August 2009, 11:03 PM
J'aime 14eme Arrondissement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2EbK0NEl5A), hors de "Paris, je t'aime".

P.s: How to type the French form of e, with a apostrophe pointing backwards on top of it.

grav, accent, circumflex 'mbainga

You need to download some add-ons to the keyboard for that

crajkumar_be
10th August 2009, 11:04 PM

Adha eppadi solla mudiyum Feddy :) Naan enna script writer-a? ("naan enna vakkeela") :twisted:

By the by, Harold and Kumar pidichudhungala?

ajithfederer
10th August 2009, 11:05 PM
Vaasthavam dhaan. :oops:

I watched harold and kumar (both the parts). The first one was funnier than the second.

Adha eppadi solla mudiyum Feddy :) Naan enna script writer-a? ("naan enna vakkeela") :twisted:

By the by, Harold and Kumar pidichudhungala?

P_R
10th August 2009, 11:17 PM
J'aime 14eme Arrondissement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2EbK0NEl5A), hors de "Paris, je t'aime". Beautiful. Googling for Payne. Immensely relatable.

வேலை செய்யவேண்டிய நிர்பந்தம் இல்லாத பட்சத்தில் அனேக ஊர்கள் அழகானவை என்று சர்வஜாக்கிரதையாக என்னை இறுக்கிக்கொண்டேன்- from சென்ட்ரல் பார்க் சுயசமாதானம்

crajkumar_be
10th August 2009, 11:24 PM
I watched harold and kumar (both the parts). The first one was funnier than the second.

Same here Feddy... i think i laughed more for H&K than for Hangauva

Enna solreenga LM?

ArulprakasH
11th August 2009, 01:08 AM
May be the hype on Hangover made the difference :)

Thalafanz
11th August 2009, 08:16 AM
Accepted

A teenage student who leaves high school is extremely frustrated that all colleges reject him due to his bad scores. Dejected badly and facing pressure from his family he needs to join college immediately. In despair he creates his own college South Harmon Inst. of Technology (abbreviated SHI@ T :lol: ). Now he has to face the society and make it REAL. Laughs here and there and not a bad one.

Oh I rememeber this one. Watched it last year... Climax-la court-la oru speech koduppAru pArungga... :)

Btw, antha SHI@ T education system romba nallA irunthuchu... :noteeth:

kid-glove
11th August 2009, 08:49 AM
J'aime 14eme Arrondissement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2EbK0NEl5A), hors de "Paris, je t'aime". Beautiful. Googling for Payne. Immensely relatable.

வேலை செய்யவேண்டிய நிர்பந்தம் இல்லாத பட்சத்தில் அனேக ஊர்கள் அழகானவை என்று சர்வஜாக்கிரதையாக என்னை இறுக்கிக்கொண்டேன்- from சென்ட்ரல் பார்க் சுயசமாதானம்

I've seen 5 films of Payne including this one. Never felt bored and uninvolved so far. I'd rate them as below in order of personal inference:

Sideways
About Schmidt/14eme Arrondissement
Election
Citizen Ruth

Btw Payne appears as Wilde's ghost in Wes Craven's short (not a favorite though) in 'Paris, je t'aime'.

Other favorites from Anthology: Tom Tykwer's - mostly for stunning stylistics and non-chronological montage with tasty choice of music, Coen Brothers', Walter Salles (Baby sitter), Cuaron's - A trademark single tracking shot with a start that has an hint of Marty's 'Life Lessons' (part of another anthology, "New york stories"), and a twist.

Wibha
11th August 2009, 10:38 AM
Julie and Julia- Too long and could have been much better.

directhit
11th August 2009, 11:02 AM
Adaptation - :thumbsup:
infact a :2thumbsup: after reading the wiki about the movie. To write a script on such a subject and making it this interesting is brilliant

Silence of the Lambs - apart from Anthony Hopkins I didnt find anything great in the movie :oops: Hopkins' escape was very good. Mathapadi greatest thriller/scary nellaam edhuvum illaye :? Ending kooda chappunu mudinchu

littlemaster1982
11th August 2009, 11:28 AM

Same here Feddy... i think i laughed more for H&K than for Hangauva

Enna solreenga LM?

Adhey adhey.

H & K -I > H&K -II >>>>>> Hangover.

P.S: I watched Hangover alone (DVD SCR). Friends-oda paartha nalla irukkum-nu sila per sonnaanga :roll:

P_R
11th August 2009, 11:36 AM
Sideways
Oh okay.

Nerd
11th August 2009, 07:34 PM
Adappaavigalaa H&K and hangover?? :shock: :shock:

As a *film* (writing) HO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HK 1/2

And I felt hangover was much much funnier, may be because I could completely relate to it. I found DWiMC downright silly but enjoyable nevertheless.

Did you guys like Superbad?

littlemaster1982
11th August 2009, 07:43 PM
Superbad innnum pakkala :roll:

kid-glove
11th August 2009, 08:28 PM
I liked Superbad.

Hangover > Superbad for laugh count.

I didn't think much of "Knocked up" though. "40 year old virgin", and "Role Models" are both better than "Knocked up". :thumbsup:

Nerd
11th August 2009, 08:35 PM
LM, paathurAdheenga :twisted:

I think Superbad > HO in terms of laugh count. Must revisit it to see if it still makes me laugh.

Yeh knocked up was not all that funny.

littlemaster1982
11th August 2009, 08:42 PM
LM, paathurAdheenga :twisted:

Nesstu download adhudhaan :devil:

ajithfederer
11th August 2009, 09:40 PM
:yes: :exactly:

And I felt hangover was much much funnier, may be because I could completely relate to it. I found DWiMC downright silly but enjoyable nevertheless.

Did you guys like Superbad?

crajkumar_be
11th August 2009, 11:46 PM
I didn't think much of "Knocked up" though. "40 year old virgin", and "Role Models" are both better than "Knocked up". :thumbsup:
Yeah <strike>Knocked up</Strike> soora mokkai

Superbad innum paakkala

Edit: Sorry, meant to say 'Juno' was super mokkai.
Still, agree with you there

crajkumar_be
11th August 2009, 11:49 PM

Yeah kandippa relate panna mudiyum, thats why like minded/blodded people should watch it for sure. Aana, sometimes i ended up feeling namma experiences-e idha vida funny a irundhirukke nu...
They didn't know when to stop with the tiger, for instance.

P_R
11th August 2009, 11:54 PM
Friends-oda paartha nalla irukkum-nu sila per sonnaanga adhukkaaga dhaan pAkkAma vachirukkEn. Kallai kaNdaa naayai KaNOm etc.

Aana, sometimes i ended up feeling namma experiences-e idha vida funny a irundhirukke nu...
:lol2: ezhudhuradhu

kid-glove
11th August 2009, 11:54 PM
Also, I'd agree with you on Juno.

P_R
11th August 2009, 11:57 PM
Edit: Sorry, meant to say 'Juno' was super mokkai.Juno wasn't meant to be funny. Actually I don't know what it was meant to be. sumaarA irundhuchu.

crajkumar_be
12th August 2009, 12:00 AM
Edit: Sorry, meant to say 'Juno' was super mokkai.Juno wasn't meant to be funny. Actually I don't know what it was meant to be.
Yeah but fregnancy naala i guess i mixed up Junoo and Knocked Up...

crajkumar_be
12th August 2009, 12:01 AM
Auu!

groucho070
12th August 2009, 07:24 AM
Auu! :rotfl:

VENKIRAJA
12th August 2009, 01:40 PM

The whole movie is mighty impressive. Except for two parts alone, that too cause of personal choice. yArAvadhu pArthuttu ezhudhunga..

great
12th August 2009, 06:23 PM
Edit: Sorry, meant to say 'Juno' was super mokkai.Juno wasn't meant to be funny. Actually I don't know what it was meant to be. sumaarA irundhuchu.

RombavaE sumara irunthuchu

directhit
12th August 2009, 06:49 PM
Hitch :lol:
Will smith was cool, eva mendes ;)

P_R
13th August 2009, 02:03 AM
Hannah and her Sisters

The man is just brilliant. :bow:
NewYork, the acting, the conversations and situation - every single thing was excellent.

Plus the duck soup nod was just perfect. Comedy doesn't get a more heartfelt nod than that.

kid-glove
13th August 2009, 02:26 AM
yeppAdi!!

crajkumar_be
13th August 2009, 02:27 AM
Plus the duck soup nod was just perfect. Comedy doesn't get a more heartfelt nod than that.
andha scene paakkumbodhu unga nyabagam dhaan vandhuchu :)

kid-glove
13th August 2009, 02:30 AM
Hope PR is safe. :shock: :lol:

groucho070
13th August 2009, 07:32 AM
World Trade Centre.

Looks like expensive HBO movie :roll: What happened to Stone? This shows what happens if he does not go to the editing room all that much. And why Nic Cage? :roll: There you go, two eye rolls.

Avadi to America
13th August 2009, 10:19 AM
western movies nu topic parthutuu.... american westerna thaan discuss panrangolonnu vanthen....

groucho070
13th August 2009, 11:19 AM
:lol: Itheythaan mothamotha vanthapoo keetten.

If you want, why not start a American Western Films thread. Annge peesuvom, Ford, Hawk, Leone, Eastwood pondra directors certainly needs discussion.

P_R
13th August 2009, 11:25 AM
yeppAdi!! :?:
You didn't like it ?

I enjoyed it a lot (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1874140#1874140).

kid-glove
13th August 2009, 11:48 AM
I liked it a lot. Very underrated. There is a cue of characters, traits and relationships(all too memorable) from his other works. But again, the magic of weaving it all together. For example, Woody contemplating religion, meaning of existence and all. You've seen it before. Yet there is an uniqueness with situation, context, and interaction. The long monologues might seem similar, yet it is so beautiful. The pairs are relatable. Frederick-Lee might evoke resemblance and yet, you lap them up. Woody is a master of his craft.

Querida
13th August 2009, 08:16 PM
Though I cannot extol the virtues Woody's "Hannah and her Sisters" as adeptly as some hubbers, it is good to read and be able to appreciate what is written of the movie :thumbsup:

crajkumar_be
13th August 2009, 08:21 PM
You've seen it before.
Yeah, this was it for me. I couldn't enjoy this as much as i enjoy his other works. I mean one can see some patterns in many of his movies but like you said its somehow enjoyable. However, this was not the case for me with HAHS.

Nerd
13th August 2009, 08:27 PM
Aang Grouch, 98 pages aachu. Poll/campaign :lol2:

groucho070
14th August 2009, 08:50 AM
Any suggestion? A small thread but huge subject.

Who's the most constant poster here? Avingga suggest pannalaamey.

ajithfederer
17th August 2009, 07:40 PM
The Int'l - Not Bad.

kid-glove
17th August 2009, 07:41 PM
The Int'l - Not Bad.

Cinematography, and music - super-a irundudhA?

ajithfederer
17th August 2009, 07:43 PM
They were very good. Europe was :clap:.

The shootout standoff at that skyscraper in New York was :thumbsup:.

The Int'l - Not Bad.

Cinematography, and music - super-a irundudhA?

ajithfederer
17th August 2009, 08:08 PM
Thilak, did u watch it. How did u like the film??

Anybody else watched and liked the movie?.

kid-glove
17th August 2009, 08:24 PM
No, I haven't seen it yet. But I've always liked Tom Tykwer's stylistics. Hence why I asked.

Querida
18th August 2009, 07:52 AM
500 days of summer

All I can say is just don't think "ohhh what silly girl doesn't like a rom-com?" I for one usually loathe them...but this one I wanted to see for just the use of mix media and different way of storytelling...nice idea of going back and forth of their days spent together...really gives you a contrasting view....and no there are not 500 days of summer weather...rather it's her name...

cynics will enjoy, lots of mix media, none of that hero/heroine perfect with love conquering all...enjoyed it quite alot...I actually thought it was set in a older time until I saw them playing the wii but still couldn't shake off an old-timey feeling with clothes and settings....anyways refreshing and enjoyed very much :)

kid-glove
18th August 2009, 01:08 PM
I wanted to watch this film. Gordon-Levitt was a talented child artist. Interested if he has progressed. Although I doubt if this film gave him scope.

crajkumar_be
18th August 2009, 09:54 PM
Network - Sameebathula paartha padangalil migavum pidithadhu :thumbsup:

groucho070
19th August 2009, 07:02 AM
Quantum of Solace Second revisit.

Still:
Blurry action. Dull heroine. Sissy bad guy. Pathetic henchmen. Bitchy Boss.

But Daniel Craig :notworthy:

Wibha
21st August 2009, 02:14 PM
Bandslam- Eh whatever :?

Orphan - WOW :shock:

VENKIRAJA
22nd August 2009, 05:14 PM
Godfather III - Disappointed, Heavily.

P_R
23rd August 2009, 09:01 AM
Munich...long overdue

Slightly tedious.

Wibha
23rd August 2009, 09:25 AM
Little Miss Sunshine :lol: :lol:

Raikkonen
23rd August 2009, 10:04 AM
I think i love my wife.. :D Nothing special, but Kerry Washington was just unbelievably gorgeous.. :bow:

Prabo
23rd August 2009, 02:29 PM
The King of Comedy.
Not very impressive except for Pimpkin, his imaginary conversation with Jerry Lewis :lol:

Wibha
24th August 2009, 11:03 AM
Just like Heaven- AWWWWWW!!!! :D :D :D

ajaybaskar
24th August 2009, 11:07 AM
Eagle Eye.

Worth a watch..

ajaybaskar
24th August 2009, 02:46 PM
Train...

One of the most disturbing movies i have ever seen.. Gory to the core.. Weak hearted ps avoid..

ajithfederer
24th August 2009, 08:28 PM
Le Samourai (1967) - A very simple plot but managed to keep me interested till the end.

The protoganist(antagonist??) - 8-).

P.S: Thilak, Your prev avatar was from this movie right??

groucho070
25th August 2009, 09:00 AM
Train...

One of the most disturbing movies i have ever seen.. Gory to the core.. Weak hearted ps avoid..Entha train-pa? Burt Lancaster 1964-va? Illa Runaway Train-a (somewhere mid 80s)?

ajaybaskar
25th August 2009, 09:07 AM
Train...

One of the most disturbing movies i have ever seen.. Gory to the core.. Weak hearted ps avoid..Entha train-pa? Burt Lancaster 1964-va? Illa Runaway Train-a (somewhere mid 80s)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1015474/

groucho070
25th August 2009, 10:55 AM
Okay. :D Wouldn't be my cup of tea...or shall I say, chalice of blood (say this in Transylvanian accent) :P

Wibha
25th August 2009, 10:57 AM
Edward Scissorhands- Aww :(

P_R
25th August 2009, 11:14 AM
Continue here (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1884801#1884801)