PDA

View Full Version : kala jamun

deepali128
21st December 2004, 12:52 AM
hi, i want to make kala jamuns.but i didn't have khoya so i tried to make it with gits powder as khoya.but it wasn't good anyone knows the exact receipe of kala kjamun.pls give me.[/quote]

dev
24th December 2004, 12:55 PM
For the kala jamuns
2 cups (250 grams) hariali mava (khoya), grated
5 tablespoons plain flour (maida)
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (elaichi) powder
2 tablespoons sugar

For the sugar syrup
3 cups sugar

Other ingredients
ghee for deep frying
3/4 cup desiccated coconut

For the sugar syrup
1. In a large pan, combine the sugar with 1 litre of water and bring to a boil.
2. Simmer over a slow flame till the syrup is 1 string consistency.
3. Remove any impurities which float on top of the syrup using a slotted spoon.
4. Add the saffron if desired and keep the syrup warm.

For the jamuns
1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, mix well and knead into a firm dough without using any water.

2. Divide this mixture into 25 equal portios and roll into rounds. These should have no cracks on the surface as otherwise the jamuns will crack while frying.

3. Deep fry in ghee over a medium flame till the jamuns are dark brown in colour (for approx 10 to 12 minutes).

4. Drain and immerse in the warm sugar syrup. Soak for 30 minutes.

5. Drain and roll in desiccated coconut.

dev
24th December 2004, 12:58 PM
Not my own recipe...:) try it out & let me know...

jpatel
27th December 2004, 11:13 PM
depali & dev,
To make kala jamun do everything like dev says.. just add following.

before frying jamun in ghee spade powder sugar on flat surface and roll all jamuns on it to have uniform coating of sugar on it, wait few minutes to sugar absorb water. Then deep fry in ghee. Your jamun will have dark brown / black color due to caramelization of sugar.

jpatel
27th December 2004, 11:25 PM
sorry for typo, should be "spread"

deepali128
28th December 2004, 01:43 AM
thanx jpatel and dev. i will try this recipe.but do u know what is the substitute for khoya.i don't find khoya in US.

R
28th December 2004, 02:01 AM
It is available here in NJ, but heard that it is not available in Louisiana. Have u tried the frozen section in Indian stores?

deepali128
28th December 2004, 02:06 AM
i am in Minneapolis. i will definately look for it. but can i use recotta cheese for khoya.

R
28th December 2004, 05:14 PM
For kala jamun, no idea..since have not tried that recipe..But, just now, saw in a site that for pine apple halwa, it says that one can substitute ricotta cheese in the place of mava.

So, why dont u try it out in a smaller qty so that it will not get wasted if it does not come properly, right?

Bye.

jpatel
28th December 2004, 06:43 PM
I am in US too. Do not use ricotta cheese for khoya. Use dry milk powder and kneed adding milk, rest ingredients are same. You can also try any instant mix like gits, deep etc.

deepali128
29th December 2004, 08:35 PM
I am in US too. Do not use ricotta cheese for khoya. Use dry milk powder and kneed adding milk, rest ingredients are same. You can also try any instant mix like gits, deep etc.

i used milk powder already. but it wasn't good.

impresario
11th January 2005, 03:57 AM
[tscii:e0340fe51b]А я вот тоже думал что переехать в Европу и найти работу очень сложно, а всё оказалось намного проще. http://www.cernis.cz[/tscii:e0340fe51b]