PDA

View Full Version : The best period of Tamil film music - 50s / 60s/80s / 90s ?

Nakeeran
8th November 2006, 05:55 PM
The 50s saw the great composer G.Ramanathan like a monarch.

The magnificient 60s had the 2 great duo MSV-TKR ruling for long

During this period, there was KVM also , another great

Then MSV solo from 65 to 77

Isainyani took over then. Dominated like a champion up to 93 -94

From 94 , the era of ARR , Isai puyal

So, which decade was the best ever in terms of quality .

Lets discuss here

Hope all fan groups participate without degrading the other MDs. :D

nilavupriyan
8th November 2006, 05:56 PM
ilayaraja era

Hulkster
8th November 2006, 06:11 PM
I wish to classify each eras for the music they delved in.

50s - Carnatic,Pure tamil music with drama like orchestration.

60s - Western format of orchestration for tamil music.

70s - Semi classical and melody rule.

IR era - Western classical music and other genres fused with indian music.

ARR era - Western modernised music and other genres using indianised tunes.

Rajkumar_mj
8th November 2006, 06:42 PM
The 50s saw the great composer G.Ramanathan like a monarch.

The magnificient 60s had the 2 great duo MSV-TKR ruling for long

During this period, there was KVM also , another great

Then MSV solo from 65 to 77

Isainyani took over then. Dominated like a champion up to 93 -94

From 94 , the era of ARR , Isai puyal

So, which decade was the best ever in terms of quality .

Lets discuss here

Hope all fan groups participate without degrading the other MDs. :D

Small Correction Mr Nakkeran.

ARR era is From 1993 (Though his roja released on 1992)

In 1993 , he gave Pudhiya mugam,Gentleman,Thiruda Thiruda,Uzhavan,Kizhakku seemaiyle.

In these films , most of the songs were hit

Rajkumar_mj
8th November 2006, 06:42 PM
Both IR & ARR eras

Nakeeran
8th November 2006, 06:47 PM
Hi Rajkumar :D

True , those movies came in 92/93 but my viewpoint was that IR was still ruling during those years. Thats why I have categorised as such

MADDY
8th November 2006, 06:57 PM
Nakkeran, ARR-ukku thittu vaangi kudukkaama neenga thoongamaatteenga pola irukku...... :D .......innum enn nanbargal silar indha thread-a paarkala pola irukku.... :shaking: :shaking:

coming back to the topic, i guess we shuld consider the trends only........though MSV gave some beautiful albums after 76' it was IR's trend only dominating.......same way since 92 till now its ARR trend.........i dont think HJ and u1 have created a significant change in sounds since 92........ :huh:

Tamilians are generally conservative (thats my observation....pls dont bash me :D ).......so to bring them out of their comfort zone and showing them something different, making them enjoying it is a very rare feat.........i guess that credit goes to MSV-TKR and ARR only......MSV-TKR broke the backbone of carnatic music to take tamilians thru the path of lite music......ARR broke the traditional Analog/Indian sounds to take them thru digital/global sounds.........rahman vandhadhukku apparum dhaan yenga veettu amplifier/speakerukkae oru kala vandhudhu........ :D

this is strictly my opinion

Raghu
8th November 2006, 06:59 PM
1980's IR + SPB era, nothingbeats this GREATEST combo, no way

Nakeeran
8th November 2006, 07:06 PM
coming back to the topic, i guess we shuld consider the trends only........though MSV gave some beautiful albums after 76' it was IR's trend only dominating

.......same way since 92 till now its ARR trend.........i dont think HJ and u1 have created a significant change in sounds since 92........ :huh:

Maddy ,

I too feel that MSV era was reaching its end by late 70s and thats why I have put 77 as the point of conclusion. Though Ninaithale inikkum came in 79 ? or 80 ? Also, most of the faithfulls crossed over to IR camp I heard and deserted MSV .

79 & 80 were all IR . I thought IR was dominant during 92 &93 also though ARR was forging ahead . More noof movies & some good numbers were heard during this phase.

By 94, ARR became the leader with his new trend of music :D

nilavupriyan
8th November 2006, 07:06 PM
Nakkeran, ARR-ukku thittu vaangi kudukkaama neenga thoongamaatteenga pola irukku...... :D .......innum enn nanbargal silar indha thread-a paarkala pola irukku.... :shaking: :shaking:

coming back to the topic, i guess we shuld consider the trends only........though MSV gave some beautiful albums after 76' it was IR's trend only dominating.......same way since 92 till now its ARR trend.........i dont think HJ and u1 have created a significant change in sounds since 92........ :huh:

Tamilians are generally conservative (thats my observation....pls dont bash me :D ).......so to bring them out of their comfort zone and showing them something different, making them enjoying it is a very rare feat.........i guess that credit goes to MSV-TKR and ARR only......MSV-TKR broke the backbone of carnatic music to take tamilians thru the path of lite music......ARR broke the traditional Analog/Indian sounds to take them thru digital/global sounds.........rahman vandhadhukku apparum dhaan yenga veettu amplifier/speakerukkae oru kala vandhudhu........ :D

this is strictly my opinion

:lol: how funny !...tamilians dont come out of their confort zone????

these tamilians went on to hear hindi songs greatly before ilayaraja's entry!...ilayaraja made them turn towards tamil!

Ramakrishna
8th November 2006, 07:11 PM
Enakku ARR era thaan best :D

Rajkumar_mj
8th November 2006, 07:17 PM
In 90's arr music na nambi cassett vangalam.Ellla songsum nalla irundhadhu. :D

Now he is giving 2 or 3 nice songs in each film :(

Rajkumar_mj
8th November 2006, 07:19 PM
sounds.........rahman vandhadhukku apparum dhaan yenga veettu amplifier/speakerukkae oru kala vandhudhu........ :D

Enga Veettu amplifierukkum. :D

Erica
8th November 2006, 08:35 PM
I second Nilavu's thought...................... Illayaraja's Era was the Golden period for not only Tamil Film Music but the whole southern film industry.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sanguine Sridhar
8th November 2006, 09:09 PM
Pick depends on your age,taste and maturity level!

Anyways! My picks are (not in any of the order)

Evergreen..
1. MSV+TMS+PBS+Kannadasan
2. IR + SPB + KJY +Vairamuthu\Vaali
3. ARR + Manirathnam\Shankar or any of the combo's

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4. All recent hits ( YSR\HJ\Vidyasagar)

smss_engineer
9th November 2006, 12:07 AM
8-) 1976 to 1994 ILLAYARAJA era
is the golden era
Nobody can beat him 8-)

dinesh2002
9th November 2006, 11:53 AM
though im not there during IR's era... but wut i heard from my dad [a hardcore IR fan ] ,again, im telling base on the experience in Malaysia..... he could see young malay dudes dancing to Chikku Bukku Raile in the streets and in shows.... and that was during 1993...such thing NEVER happened to a tamil song B4 !!!! and the list continued with mukala,oorvasi,antha arabic kadal , ALL KADHAL DESAM SONGS, ALL fast paced songs from LOVE bird, Minsara Kanavu, manam virumbathe, sembarathi poove, and some Deva's numbers and it goes on untill Shakallaka Baby & the last a tamil song was popular down my place was September Madham & SNEGHIDENE [YES!!,dun be shocked]

after that,no tamil songs were popular among chinese & malays here, not even any ARR numbers after 2000... but yea...BOYS again changed the whole story...and then its back to square 1 now!!! but i see now Munbe Vaa is atracting many chinese here.... u would know wut i mean if u check under HARRIS JEYARAJ's Latest Album..... :wink:

with this...i would proudly say ITS ARRAHMAN's ERA THAT is GOLDEN ERA in tamil filmdom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-) :2thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

vasanth2006
9th November 2006, 12:40 PM
Obiviously IR era, that is golden era. This era's songs will stand forever. not only for 3 to 4 months. if you able to feel the Ilaiyaraja's song, then you are the gifted person. There are no words to describe the IR songs. you have to feel. These are my opinions only.

Sanjeevi
9th November 2006, 01:51 PM
Definitely IR era

because

1) entirely new trend not only for India for the world
2) orchestration
3) music without lyrics
4) Innovative usage of ragas in film songs
5) awesome BGM
6) classical oriented music

Jacky
9th November 2006, 02:10 PM
// entirely new trend not only for India for the world //
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :idontgetit:

can you highlight to common listeners about the trend he set for the world?

Jacky
9th November 2006, 02:33 PM
[tscii:0cb83a1b8a]Classical oriented music was much before IR's era. Nobody can deny the charm of Oru Nal poduma – Thiruvailayadal. The topic is highly subjective and responses would be more of what a person relates to which is not ideal for a consensus.
I'm in my late twenties and I'm overexposed to IR and ARR... Car stereos, Ipods and even at work place. Suddenly I'm finding great solace in Hindi 50s and 60s classics like Bhaiju Bawara, Awaara, and some good soothing Dilip Kumar, Dev Anand and Raj Kapoor numbers and sometimes with old AM.Raja numbers. If somebody wants to name it Tamil Inhibition his or her looking glass is just different.
And I'm tempted to vote for 50s and 60s period so ones listening pattern has a big say.
[/tscii:0cb83a1b8a]

rayan36
9th November 2006, 02:41 PM
Ilayaraja showed tamil music :thumbsup: :musicsmile: when most tamilians listened to hindi songs at end of the 70's. RAHMAN showed tamil music to the world :2thumbsup: :victory:

MrJudge
9th November 2006, 03:07 PM
Seems like the discussions are going back to square one.. who has done it better popularity-wise, and to what extent (tn alone / southern states / india / whole world etc)... again and again aren't we trying to drive through the same dead end?

nilavupriyan
9th November 2006, 03:45 PM
if the discussion is on who made tamil people enjoy the most ..then it must be ilayaraja with 700 movies!

if the discussion is on who dominated unonimously....its ilayaraja!

rahman never dominated the tamil music world...he did very few movies which is never domination!

domination means the kinds of ilayaraja where every movie at a festival releases with raja music..rajni,kamal mohan ramarajan prabhu sathyaraj or anyone!

all movies with ilayaraja...thats domination!

selvakumar
9th November 2006, 05:19 PM
Obiviously IR era, that is golden era. This era's songs will stand forever. not only for 3 to 4 months. if you able to feel the Ilaiyaraja's song, then you are the gifted person. There are no words to describe the IR songs. you have to feel. These are my opinions only.

:roll:
Every song becomes a superb one only when the audience feel it ! be it IR, ARR etc :wink: If you like a song to the core, then obviously words will fail to describe it !
In that case, every MD in the list have their own credit for this feel ! :wink:
But the question is not that one : Nakeeran wants us to pin POINT the GOLDEN ERA ! For that, there must be something unique which was not in the other MD's ERA :roll:
Hope I am clear ! :)

selvakumar
9th November 2006, 05:26 PM
if the discussion is on who made tamil people enjoy the most ..then it must be ilayaraja with 700 movies!
rahman never dominated the tamil music world...he did very few movies which is never domination!
domination means the kinds of ilayaraja where every movie at a festival releases with raja music..rajni,kamal mohan ramarajan prabhu sathyaraj or anyone!
all movies with ilayaraja...thats domination!

IR might have dominated the post MSV era. But that cannot be taken as a domination on tamil audience ! For e.g., people who might have enjoyed MSV era might not have felt it great ! IMO. IR was able to dominate the then ordinary MDs. Eventually DEVA who copied / replicated him which eliminated this domination to certain extent ! But this never eliminates your observation on his domination during the period of MOHAN, RR, etc. I can accept with MOHAN / KH / RK era. But prabhu, sathyraj etc combo - almost saturated the feel and the GOLDEN PERIOD !

MADDY
9th November 2006, 07:54 PM

IR-vai vitta odane ARR patthhi dhaan pechu varudhu.....y didnt u compare IR period to a MSV or a G.Ramanathan period???? which itself shows ARR's dominance.....as Jacky pointed out it is something very personal and a consensus cannot be reached on such issues..........

ARR's period was not just the golden period for Tamil music but also for tamil pride.........man, just imagine, Agarwals and Singhs queueing up to buy Tamil CDs.......if it wud have been for a Kannada movie i wud have gone :bluejump: :musicsmile: .....hmmm.....enna panradhu.....

Nakeeran
9th November 2006, 08:17 PM
Whenever I meet my North Indian friends & whenever the topic touches music , they first ask me about ARR only !

And so many questions will be poured on me like what kind of a guy he is , nice or arrogant , simple guy or moody etc etc !

Definitely ARR had made a magnificent stride in NI film industry

Though Thai manne vanakkam is not a film album, this song spread from Kashmir to Kanyakumari !

And though this has little relevance to TFM, ARR for sure made Tamilians proud .

Maar thatta vaithavar ARR. Thamizan endru solladaa !

As I live in Mumbai, I say this with pride :D

I will come to Isainyani next

Ramakrishna
9th November 2006, 08:17 PM

IR-vai vitta odane ARR patthhi dhaan pechu varudhu.....y didnt u compare IR period to a MSV or a G.Ramanathan period???? which itself shows ARR's dominance.....as Jacky pointed out it is something very personal and a consensus cannot be reached on such issues..........

ARR's period was not just the golden period for Tamil music but also for tamil pride.........man, just imagine, Agarwals and Singhs queueing up to buy Tamil CDs.......if it wud have been for a Kannada movie i wud have gone :bluejump: :musicsmile: .....hmmm.....enna panradhu.....

hehe..Thats true. Even kannadigas don't queue up to buy Kannada cds nowadays :oops:

MADDY
9th November 2006, 08:27 PM
hehe..Thats true. Even kannadigas don't queue up to buy Kannada cds nowadays :oops:

count me too...... :oops: .......

MADDY
9th November 2006, 08:28 PM
As I live in Mumbai, I say this with pride :D

yes thats true.......ARR has great name in Mumbai...... :D

Jacky
9th November 2006, 08:52 PM
http://musicandnoise.blogspot.com/2006/09/rahman-i-and-sound-of-music_22.html

A northindian music composer reviews ARR. It's bit long yet a must read for all ARR and neutral fans. Not many days you get such a lucid review.

s ramaswamy
9th November 2006, 10:14 PM
Hi all,

For me the golden TFM period was the one between 1955 and 965. Just have a look at the type and variety of songs, singers and the MDs of that period, not to speak of lyricists.

GR, S V Venkatraman, T Chalapathi Rao, S Rajeswar Rao, Master Venu (all three telugu composers who have done well in tfm too), T G Lingappa, S M S Naidu, R Sudarsanam, R Govardanam (who ass later part of the VR group), VR , KVM, AM Raja (He's given music only to around six or seven movies, but what songs! Then Nilavu, alyana Parisu), T R Papa, S Dakshinamurthi, V Dakshinamurthi, Veda (He's given some fine original nos like in Parthiban Kanavu and Anbu Enge - Dingiri Dingale meenachi dingiri dingale).

And singers: Male: Tiruchi Loganathan, Seergazhi, TMS, CSJ, PBS, AMR, Ghantasala, T A Mothi, A L Raghavan, S D Sundaram (for more variety J P Chandrababu, S C Krishnan - he had a unique voice, didn'e he?).

Females: MLV, PLeela, Jikki, PS, SJ, LRE, AP Komala, Jamuna Rani, T S Bagavathi, Sarojini, P Bhanumathi and others.

Lyricists: Udumalai, KDSanthanam, Pattukkottai, KD, Ku Ma Balasabramaniam, Ka Mu Sheriff, Ku Sa Krishnamurthi, Suradha, Vaali, Alangudi Somu, Mayavanathan and many others.

They all had their distinctive styles, at least most of them. Melody ruled the roost. The blending of BGM and lyrics was simply amazing, and people listen to these nos even now and appreciate them!

For me this was the golden period - 1955 to 1965 - without doubt.

Nakeeran
9th November 2006, 10:20 PM
For the first time I am seeing a very strong / qualitative post for the period 55 to 65 !

Sad that many of those names I havent heard

Vivid analysis !

Great Mr. Ramaswamy ! :oops:

One word, pl mention about MGR & Shivaji , Gemini , Muthuraman - who all touched peak during this period

s ramaswamy
9th November 2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Nakkeeran,

Thanks. But I am sorry I missed out another great lyricist of that period - Maruthakaasi - who has given us innumerable rhyming and meaningful songs. Somewhere I had read he had written the most no of film songs after KD during that golden period. Let me list a few:

1. Mullai Malar mele Moiikum vandu Poole (the lines end with le almost throughout) - from the film Uthama Puthiran sung by TMS and PS (According to me among the very best duet by this incomparable and made for each other singing duo).

2. Manapparai maadu katti Maayavarm Eru Pooti from Makkalaippetra Magarasi - TMS's solo with names of various TN towns being interspersed beautifully

3. Kaaviyama Nenjin Oviyama Athan Jeeviyama Deiveega Kaathal Chinnama - PS and CS Jayaraman from Paavai Vilakku - a great duet and the shenoy interlude by KVM is outstanding, equal to similar use of the north indian 'naadaswaram' by VR

Maruthakaasi cannot be forgotten.

Nakeeran
9th November 2006, 11:21 PM
Hi Nakkeeran,

Thanks. But I am sorry I missed out another great lyricist of that period - Maruthakaasi - who has given us innumerable rhyming and meaningful songs. Somewhere I had read he had written the most no of film songs after KD during that golden period. Let me list a few:

1. Mullai Malar mele Moiikum vandu Poole (the lines end with le almost throughout) - from the film Uthama Puthiran sung by TMS and PS (According to me among the very best duet by this incomparable and made for each other singing duo).

2. Manapparai maadu katti Maayavarm Eru Pooti from Makkalaippetra Magarasi - TMS's solo with names of various TN towns being interspersed beautifully

3. Kaaviyama Nenjin Oviyama Athan Jeeviyama Deiveega Kaathal Chinnama - PS and CS Jayaraman from Paavai Vilakku - a great duet and the shenoy interlude by KVM is outstanding, equal to similar use of the north indian 'naadaswaram' by VR

Maruthakaasi cannot be forgotten.

Thanks for mentioning Maruthakasi :D

I believe he was closely associated with MGR ?

That song Kannai nambadhey unnai emaatrum was written by him ??

And that song Manushana manushan saapidaranda thambi payale also ?

What about Sathiyame latchiyamai kollada ? that song also ?

Pl clarify

rocketboy
9th November 2006, 11:29 PM
IR's era

umaramesh
10th November 2006, 01:16 PM
I prefer 60-70. not because of I am MSV fan but Melody factor.

During this period we gave importance to Lyric part also. As rightly pointed out by maddy we hv seen new trend was emerged from pure carnatic based songs.

regards
ramesh

Sanjeevi
10th November 2006, 01:47 PM
http://musicandnoise.blogspot.com/2006/09/rahman-i-and-sound-of-music_22.html

A northindian music composer reviews ARR. It's bit long yet a must read for all ARR and neutral fans. Not many days you get such a lucid review.

Thanks for the link :)

Sanjeevi
10th November 2006, 02:01 PM
// entirely new trend not only for India for the world //
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :idontgetit:

can you highlight to common listeners about the trend he set for the world?

:lol2: :shhh:
why you are :rotfl: if you dont get anything?

Mr. Jacky,

do you know the listerers of IR's songs is increasing day by day (i mean listener count is increased from 1980 to 2006)
do you know the music of IR increases fans to him

Can you give such style of song composition before IR era in anywhere of world. Ii mean the fusion, the music which travels from one region (western/karnatic/indian folk) to another and blending between different musical styles.

I know he has inspiration from Mozart, Bach, Beethovan and even from MSV :cool:, KVM, AMR. But definitely his kind of composition is new to music world at least for India. And ofcourse he was/is keen to produce/reproduce from inspiration.

Jacky
10th November 2006, 02:32 PM
[tscii:a8018cf1f8]I'm not undermining IR's achievements after all I grew up listening to his numbers. It's easy to say that his fan count increases and so but it never ascertains if he set any music trend for the world. To me that's an overstatement.
And regarding songs traversing different genres listen to Onnum Onnum rendu – Uthamaputhiran. Such experiments were carried out even much before IR's era.
Btw, I'm not denying the trend he set which was different from MSV era.
Thanks.

[/tscii:a8018cf1f8]

Nakeeran
10th November 2006, 02:45 PM
[tscii:5c87fcb884]I'm not undermining IR's achievements after all I grew up listening to his numbers. It's easy to say that his fan count increases and so but it never ascertains if he set any music trend for the world. To me that's an overstatement.
And regarding songs traversing different genres listen to Onnum Onnum rendu – Uthamaputhiran. Such experiments were carried out even much before IR's era.Btw, I'm not denying the trend he set which was different from MSV era.
Thanks.[/tscii:5c87fcb884]

U have conveyed a striking message Jacky :D

Thats why I had first mentioned about G.Ramanathan WHO ACTUALLY COULD HAVE DONE WONDERS BUT WAS CONFINED TO CARNATIC BASED COMPOS.
And when the trend was slightly veering towards lite music, he composed Yaaradee nee mohini & Unnazagai kanniyargal sonnadhinale
Both are o/s songs and stand tall even today.

Not to forget Ulavum thendral katrinile or varaai nee varaai.

Wonder whether some of the guys around here are aware of such songs :oops:

And GR is an incomparable genius. Its sad that we could not hear more western compos from him :cry:

On Isainyani, his main strengths were the ludes, the orchestration, the BGMs , more usage of guitar & western instruments, mixed folk with western .

Sanjeevi
10th November 2006, 05:51 PM
Common guys :D music is not only songs, lyrics or actor/film oriented. IR is the only one who has achieved this triumph without tune/lyrics/actor and when we are coming music composition rather than tune/lyrics.

His strength is mainly his music, i mean RR/BGM, Ludes, orchestration. Can you show anyone MD in India who is equivelent to IR in musical knowledge. Even if IR is a dumb he can produce mindblowing music like beethowan did :D, mainly because he is notes oritented not (other) source oriented like many MDs

abbydoss1969
10th November 2006, 07:14 PM
Common guys :D music is not only songs, lyrics or actor/film oriented. IR is the only one who has achieved this triumph without tune/lyrics/actor and when we are coming music composition rather than tune/lyrics.

His strength is mainly his music, i mean RR/BGM, Ludes, orchestration. Can you show anyone MD in India who is equivelent to IR in musical knowledge. Even if IR is a dumb he can produce mindblowing music like beethowan did :D, mainly because he is notes oritented not (other) source oriented like many MDs

Good point,man.
IR is the king of music.

All other MDs are just tunesmiths.!

Jacky
10th November 2006, 10:57 PM
Sanjeevi,
Most neutral fans agree IR is a complete musician. There's no doubt but please try to list out his innovations which hasn't been done before.
Nakeeran said his strength his orchestration and BGM that's a point we can accept easily. I've seen a few B&W movies and i can vouch IR's BGM was in a diff league but just saying IR can compose in his sleep doesn't have the meat to affirm your claims.

rajdes
11th November 2006, 07:35 AM
"The best" depends on your preference. Your preference would bias you. It's your bias vs my bias.Avvalavu dhaan.
BTW, like Srikanth D used to be fond of pointing out, MSV has done some fabulous BGM as well - Ulagam Sutrum Valiban was an example he loved to quote. To over-hype IR's contribtuion is as silly as underwhelming his contribution out of personal spite.

nilavupriyan
11th November 2006, 10:10 AM
"The best" depends on your preference. Your preference would bias you. It's your bias vs my bias.Avvalavu dhaan.
BTW, like Srikanth D used to be fond of pointing out, MSV has done some fabulous BGM as well - Ulagam Sutrum Valiban was an example he loved to quote. To over-hype IR's contribtuion is as silly as underwhelming his contribution out of personal spite.

i greatly believe till now many are under estimating his contribution inspite of doing 700 movies and over estimated rahman for his "aadikoru amaavasaikoru" albums :roll: ...with due respect to his albums

Dragun
11th November 2006, 11:02 AM
ALL composers have their strengths and weaknesses, but I would not call any of them complete composers. My favorite is ARR because he hit the scene around the time I started to develop my own tastes in music beyond what my parents listened to (mostly 60s music, with some 70s songs and a couple of IR tunes) and ARR was in sync with the youth of the 90s.

IR had a base level of quality he gave (and he often went above that base level), even when he was doing so many films. But the sheer number of films he did means that many of his orchestrations had the same kind of beats and were rather predictable. IR's quickness in composing shows an intuitiveness that is impressive.

ARR takes a lot of time to compose. He probably could not do as many films as IR did and maintain a decent level of quality. But this kind of painstaking composing is an unusual quality for an Indian film composer (Naushad also did very few films) and his effort and fine layering and imagination usually shows. He's good with traditional instruments but he's added international (mostly Middle Eastern) and sophisticated electronic sounds to the collective Indian sound. He's also introduced the idea that the beauty in a song can come from the manipulation of sound itself and not just the notes.

MADDY
11th November 2006, 11:18 AM
i greatly believe till now many are under estimating his contribution inspite of doing 700 movies and over estimated rahman for his "aadikoru amaavasaikoru" albums :roll: ...with due respect to his albums

where was ARR overestimated in TN???? tell me???? he was given National Awards by central govt, Padmashree by central govt., he got his Bombay Dreams and other foriegn chances bcos of Bombay,Dil se and other Hindi tracks, Mumbai press and North press like HT,Bhopal are his chamchas, his songs are sung in hindi antaksharis and not in tamil abaswarangal sorry sapthaswarangal, no comperer in tamil channels openly praise ARR......all his recognitions and encouragements are from North Indians and non-tamilians like us......avaru enga aalu......

tell me where the heck was ARR overrated dude????

nilavupriyan
11th November 2006, 11:30 AM
u r a non-tamilian?

MADDY
11th November 2006, 11:43 AM
u r a non-tamilian?

oh u didnt know that?? :D

i'm from one of ur neighbouring states..... :lol: ........but i love Tamil language and Tamil films as much as a Tamilian does....... :D

Jacky
11th November 2006, 12:38 PM
Mr.Nilavu,
please don't try to make an IR vs ARR in this. It's a thread about 60 years of TFM. I'm sure you must be aware that there are other mds.

nilavupriyan
11th November 2006, 01:00 PM
u r a non-tamilian?

oh u didnt know that?? :D

i'm from one of ur neighbouring states..... :lol: ........but i love Tamil language and Tamil films as much as a Tamilian does....... :D

surely not kerala.. :roll:

wont be from andra...if u r from andra ..u would have spoke abt good films there!

must be a kannadiga

Scale
11th November 2006, 01:04 PM
[tscii]I was been inbetween IR 20 - ARR 14 yrs whom I purused very intimately.

IR's era … King of Melody, folk, Pathos, BGMS(spl.mention). Naturally very Quickie scorer. Incredible survival!

ARR's era ….I endorse its is a phenomenal Musical Revolution. His penchant for innovative sound, genre-fusion, fresh talents, linguistic break most prominently his endurance-humbleness combined personality formulate every listeners to transpire from the provincial nutshell…:hats off:

Absolutely reluctant to 50's 60's howmuch I dig & dwell their gems at present.

Over/Understimating any composer is a transgression. Blame it on the era gracefully didn’t engage everyone in the brawl during their peak

MADDY
11th November 2006, 01:31 PM
surely not kerala.. :roll:

wont be from andra...if u r from andra ..u would have spoke abt good films there!

must be a kannadiga

check ur PM :D

Sanjeevi
12th November 2006, 05:35 PM
Jacky, no problem for me it is IR era. Your pick may be different. But these do not matter. If we will take a survey about this on entire 10 crore tamilians IR will win :cool:

Jacky
12th November 2006, 07:26 PM
You talk like an expert statistician :)

bulb_mani
12th November 2006, 09:07 PM
HARRIS JEYARAJ is the best :exactly: :yes: :2thumbsup:

dinesh2002
13th November 2006, 02:45 PM
You talk like an expert statistician :)

:rotfl: Jacky,when it comes to some IR fans when 'concluding' something...ohh..trust me...they become 'experts' !! :lol:

JK!!! :wink: