PDA

View Full Version : suggest household goods

vengatesan_s
8th November 2006, 09:31 PM
iam planning to setup my home in about a month.we are 4 members.
i would like to know the choice of all u people before i buy all the consumer goods.plz suggest the brand,model name/no with some specifications for the following items which are good and provide value for money.
1. fridge (230 ltr approx)
2. washing machine (semi automatic 6/6.2 kg approx)
3. TV 29" (100 Hz TV is having good clarity-plz consider)
4. microwave (for veg dishes only)(around 23-28 ltr)
5. food processor
6. tilting grinder
7. DVD+home theater (Rs 10,000/- approx)(i take it seperately also)

any other item coming to ur mind?

dev
9th November 2006, 02:13 AM
IMHO, Sony TV is really good with regards to clarity...

Philips mixie is good but a bit expensive compared to the other brands... swmeet is not as good as it used to be... it's very noisy...

dev
9th November 2006, 02:23 AM
elgi ultra tabletop grinder is good... no idea abt tilting grinders...

Sowmya
9th November 2006, 10:36 AM
iam planning to setup my home in about a month.we are 4 members.
i would like to know the choice of all u people before i buy all the consumer goods.plz suggest the brand,model name/no with some specifications for the following items which are good and provide value for money.
1. fridge (230 ltr approx)
2. washing machine (semi automatic 6/6.2 kg approx)
3. TV 29" (100 Hz TV is having good clarity-plz consider)
4. microwave (for veg dishes only)(around 23-28 ltr)
5. food processor
6. tilting grinder
7. DVD+home theater (Rs 10,000/- approx)(i take it seperately also)

any other item coming to ur mind?

Hi

I recently moved to India and we purchased the foll brands after consulting friends & relatives..we are satisfied with them :D
1. fridge (230 ltr approx)- samsung Biotech
2. washing machine - whirlpool (top loading)
3. TV 29" (100 Hz TV is having good clarity-plz consider)- Sony
4. microwave (for veg dishes only)(around 23-28 ltr)-samsung
You can opt for Kenstar/LG.. equally good.
5. tilting grinder-santha

Something extra.. how about a water dispenser/purifier?Very useful.

Regards
Sowmya

vengatesan_s
9th November 2006, 03:14 PM
1. is 100 Hz TV really worth its price or is it ok to go for normal 29"TV? also i was told that,for a cable connection,the picture quality would be same in normal TV,100 Hz TV and even in HD TV.is it so?
2. moderator, can u please move this topic to an appropriate forum for consumer electronic goods? i cant find one.or is this forum ok? plz also pm me the link to it if moved.

chevy
9th November 2006, 03:37 PM
IMHO, Sony TV is really good with regards to clarity...

Philips mixie is good but a bit expensive compared to the other brands... swmeet is not as good as it used to be... it's very noisy... hey ... i dunno if i am old enuf for ths thread. . bt my mom, dad ,grandmom... basically every1 in my fam. as such believe philips products don't last long ..
especially mixie. .

preethi has been the all time winner in the mixie category .. even those who go abroad carry it wid them ..

Anoushka
9th November 2006, 04:21 PM
I am not in India so I can't comment much, but you are doing the right thing, ask around, shop around, do a bit of homework before buying stuff. Most of this will and should last a good few years for you without having to change! :)

dev
9th November 2006, 04:30 PM
hey ... i dunno if i am old enuf for ths thread. . bt my mom, dad ,grandmom... basically every1 in my fam. as such believe philips products don't last long ..
especially mixie. .

preethi has been the all time winner in the mixie category .. even those who go abroad carry it wid them ..

Oh...I'm not sure abt the life of philips mixie coz all those who gave me this feedback have been using it for only a few yrs now(a yr or 2 max)... no complaints till date...

Not sure abt preethi... Most of my friends have either philips or swmeet...

ksen
10th November 2006, 03:53 PM
Preethi is good, I have been using for quite some time, no complaints.

for fridge, good ol' Godrej is the best. - sturdy and no complaints,- got the best space utilisation in both freezer and refrig. compartments.

Go in for premier tabletop grinder. This only looks like a mixie, but has capacity equal to tilting ones. Tilting grinders occupy floor space and are not very easy to clean, as you cannot remove the grinding vessel (with the base). Elgi ultra is also good, but little bigger.

vengatesan_s
10th November 2006, 06:54 PM
hi all,
1. most of u r writing about mixie, but iam not interested in buying a mixie as iam going for food processor. the food processor performs many other functions than mixie and i consider it better for its multitasking capability.any comments?
2. iam considering tilting grinder rather than tabletop, keeping my mother in mind.i think it wud be difficult to lift the vessel containing the grinded paste in case of tabletop,but in case of tilting grinders,there is no problem of weight as no lifting is involved. am i right?
3. plz correct if iam technically wrong.

dev
10th November 2006, 07:25 PM
food processor... no experience with any so far... but we gifted a kenwood food processor to one of our friend in India a couple of yrs back...when I asked him abt it a yr back, he said it's quite useful & no complaints so far...

dsath
10th November 2006, 07:53 PM
The extra feature in a food processor is that one can make cake batter (not the complex ones), squeeze juice and mincing stuff like onions, but on the other hand i was not able to grind coconut and other stuff that has to be ground into a fine paste, so i brought a proper mixie (Philips - no complaints so far). Now the processor is in the Garage after i stopped making cakes.

vengatesan_s
10th November 2006, 09:37 PM
The extra feature in a food processor is that one can make cake batter (not the complex ones), squeeze juice and mincing stuff like onions, but on the other hand i was not able to grind coconut and other stuff that has to be ground into a fine paste, so i brought a proper mixie (Philips - no complaints so far). Now the processor is in the Garage after i stopped making cakes.
How can it be? i dont understand.probably it may be a problem with the brand.a food processor has a mixie type jar (out of 3 jars it has) with same blades,so i think it should perform all operations of a mixie. i have been told good about bajaj food processor (FX 10) which has 5 yr warranty.also kenstar (model karishma) is good with 2 yr warranty.

dev
10th November 2006, 10:34 PM
How can it be? i dont understand.probably it may be a problem with the brand.a food processor has a mixie type jar (out of 3 jars it has) with same blades,so i think it should perform all operations of a mixie. i have been told good about bajaj food processor (FX 10) which has 5 yr warranty.also kenstar (model karishma) is good with 2 yr warranty.

The food processors we get in India come with a proper mixie type jar...

moonlight
11th November 2006, 04:56 AM
hi

i saw some msgs about philips mixie. my dad in india says its sleek and makes less noise.. i am in US. should i ask him to send that or should i go for preeti. i also dont think philips comes in 110 volts. any ideas? ur inputs are highly appreciated. thanks

RS
12th November 2006, 08:56 PM
We have a Kenwood food processor...and it seems useful for slicing, making cakes and ofcourse for our usual style of cooking like grinding dosa batter, chutney making etc...

dev
12th November 2006, 10:29 PM
One of my friend in India has been using philips mixie for more than 4 yrs now... she says it's real good...

& another one using preethi too has given a good feedback...

dsath
13th November 2006, 04:01 PM
Sorry Vengatesan, I was talking abt the food processor i brought in the UK, didn't know that Indian ones came with a mixie type attachment (thinking back i might have brought it if i knew that there was one). I have been using Philips mixie for the last 2 years (so cannot comment on the longevity), but performance wise its good.
The grinder i use is ULTRA, which is again good. No complaints so far.

suekrishna
16th November 2006, 06:38 AM
Braun foodprocessors are very useful in cutting,shredding,kneading, etc and very easy to use and sturdy too. Pick the one with 3 attachment units its excellent

rain
21st November 2006, 01:43 AM
hi,
we had bought phillips mixie few years back.the sound is only marginally less. i won't say it was exactly trouble free but it did a very good job of the regular dosa/idli batter. somehow the smaller attachments were wanting in that effeciency.this was the time when the product had just launched so presently you might find a better version .mine wud not work in us so check with the sales people first.

my friend has a samsung refrigerator(dunno the exact specifications but it's a standard size in red).works fine she said.

ayeshasadique
21st November 2006, 10:46 PM
i had been using sumeet mixer for the past 8 yrs, but only last month i had a problem...the machine is working , but the blades dont rotate.....anyways had it replaced with something called ikon...i hope it works well...

ayeshasadique
21st November 2006, 10:47 PM
still using the ultra grinder i bought 8 yrs back...

Thattai
22nd November 2006, 03:09 PM
Hi,

We have a Samsung Fridge, Samsung washing machine, Samsung 29" TV and samsung microwave and all of them are doing fine.

In fact we are planning to get a bigger fridge and will most probably go in for a Samsung yet again. RE: the size of the fridge, you may want to consider a bigger fridge if there is any chance of the family size expanding in the next few years. We got a 250 lt fridge when we got married, and have already outgrown it in 5 years... :cry: with an infant and a maid as additions... but then again, I freeze and refridgerate quite a few things... but just think about future usage as well.

As far as washing machine is concerned, we actually brought home a whirlpool and then returned it for a samsung fully automatic one that we are very happy with. again, I would recommend the fully automatic version, as it saves the headache of transfering from one tub to the other.

And the TV is also working fine. we are more than happy with it. It is an almost flat one and it gives great picture quality.

Microwave - if u are looking at basic cooking and reheating, would suggest you buy a plain microwave without the grilling/convection features.

I think that covers most of the appliances. Do not have tilting grinder or processor so cannot comment.

Hope this helps.

Thattai
22nd November 2006, 03:15 PM
The samsung TV is also good VFM. Both my parents as well as sis have gone in for Samsung after having a Sony and are both very happy with it.

Also water purifier is a good idea as someone else suggested. You may want to consider a hand-held blender in stead of processor depending on the usage u expect as it is more convinient.

moonlight
4th December 2006, 09:27 PM
Can someone suggest if i can get preeti chef pro plus in CA? if so who is good dealer?