PDA

View Full Version : IR News and Other Titbits

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Nerd
3rd January 2008, 11:00 AM
MADDY wrote:
highest selling Rajini album is a ARR album

Indha vishayam Rajnikku theriyumaa ?
Oh ! or is that the reason why Rajni is always behind IR to compose for his next film despite IR refusing again and again ? :D
Now this is a blatant LIE and I definitely know better. Rajini has not approached raja in the last ten years to do music for his film 8-)

And munbE was >> sahanA and sahanA is on par with paRavayE in terms of melodies this year. My opinion and crediting 90% of the songs success to Rajini is laughable.. why isnt konja nEram (CM) so popular then :P

And on iLamai idhO idhO, I did not goto the clubs this new year but in my friends place we played that song at the stroke of 12. For the last 6 years no new year has passed without this song. Definitely a stunner 8-)

raja_fan
3rd January 2008, 11:25 AM
"Munbe Vaa was/is/will be a true gem/classic and it totally deserved to be the #1 !! "

<Again have to digress >

Sure ! I totally agree to this ! To the people who called me "ARR hater" I would like to tell you that when this song was released, I myself went to ARR's thread and posted thus "Such kind of a song challenges the IR fan in me " .

<end digression>

rajasaranam
3rd January 2008, 11:31 AM
r_f,

Ethukku namakku thevai illama vera etho paatu pathi ellam pesanum. Thalai paattu kaettoamaa enjoy pannommannu illama :)

raja_fan
3rd January 2008, 11:53 AM
rajasaranam,

Correct thaan ! aanaa naan vidalaamnu nenaichaalum vida maatengaraanga..enna panna ? :)

Ok, I will divert back the thread again.

Listen to these three old Mallu gems from IR !

Superb songs ! There is always some unheard gems of IR there :)

Listen to the humming of IR in the first interlude !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUjHI9pzPLQ

Listen to the violin bits in this semi-classical !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJe6VdMrfJQ

Another melting melody by KJY - starts like "Vellai pura.." !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hISbiBkGc&feature=related

Songs that Raja fans should not miss !

rajasaranam
3rd January 2008, 12:01 PM
Now this is a blatant LIE and I definitely know better. Rajini has not approached raja in the last ten years to do music for his film 8-)

Thats a news to us :P Ilaiyaraaja who never gives interviews to magazines came out when the Periyaar Movie issue came up and gave a detailed interview to JU.VI. in that he clearly mentions he was approached by Rajini and he rejected it :)

rajasaranam
3rd January 2008, 12:05 PM
rajasaranam,

Correct thaan ! aanaa naan vidalaamnu nenaichaalum vida maatengaraanga..enna panna ? :)

Ok, I will divert back the thread again.

Listen to these three old Mallu gems from IR !

Superb songs ! There is always some unheard gems of IR there :)

Listen to the humming of IR in the first interlude !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUjHI9pzPLQ

Listen to the violin bits in this semi-classical !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJe6VdMrfJQ

Another melting melody by KJY - starts like "Vellai pura.." !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hISbiBkGc&feature=related

Songs that Raja fans should not miss !

Youtube Banned @ my office :(
BTW which movie is those songs from ?

sgmsin
3rd January 2008, 01:04 PM
rajasaranam,

Please download the songs from below links.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/500ab1af-111a-4270-b240-0c6af5e59774/Adharvam-Poovai-Virinju

http://www.ziddu.com/download.php?uid=bLKelZmpbKyglpzzaaqZnJGlaKeZl5o%3 D7

thumburu
3rd January 2008, 01:05 PM
"Sahana" is a blatant rehash of MSV's "minminiyai kanmaniyai " MGR song and also an overrated average melody IMO. The only thing I liked about the song is the very brief sax bit in "sahana" ragam. Micha badi andha paatula "sahana" ragatha thedi thaan pakkanam

raja_fan
3rd January 2008, 01:10 PM
rajasaranam,

The songs are

1. Poovai virinju from a movie called Adharvam.

2. Thamarai kili from movie "Moonampakkam"

3. Mizhiyil meen from movie "Sandhyakku virinja poovu".

All these are available in cooltoad. Let me know if you could not find these songs.

rajasaranam
3rd January 2008, 05:03 PM
rajasaranam,

The songs are

1. Poovai virinju from a movie called Adharvam.

2. Thamarai kili from movie "Moonampakkam"

3. Mizhiyil meen from movie "Sandhyakku virinja poovu".

All these are available in cooltoad. Let me know if you could not find these songs.

thanks for asking I have all those songs with me :) Bring in some rare albums like Yaathra Mozhi, Yaathra etc., if possible

raja_fan
3rd January 2008, 05:28 PM
rajasaranam,

hmm.., ungakitte illaadha songs-aa ! :)

rajasaranam
3rd January 2008, 05:28 PM
"Sahana" is a blatant rehash of MSV's "minminiyai kanmaniyai " MGR song and also an overrated average melody IMO. The only thing I liked about the song is the very brief sax bit in "sahana" ragam. Micha badi andha paatula "sahana" ragatha thedi thaan pakkanam

I didnt find even 1% of similarity in the pallavi and was thinking why people are claiming its rehash from that particular song, but when i moved on to charanam i was astonished. Its one and the same....
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=156672
and the starting few bars of the pallavi is from 'Orey naal unai naan'
new kind of remix it seems :P

rajasaranam
3rd January 2008, 05:31 PM
rajasaranam,

hmm.., ungakitte illaadha songs-aa ! :)

Recentaa Telugu movie collections'la erangi irukaen I've collected more than 130 movies of Raaja in Telugu :)
There is a forum http://pathabangaram.com/forums/
some of the people there are HCIRF's and they are uploading every album of Raaja there :) Having happy Raaja's music time for the past few days :)

thumburu
4th January 2008, 02:25 PM
Rajasaranam, thanks for seeing my POV. Both Raja and Rahman have been inspired by MSV. In Raja's case, songs like "pudhu maapiLLaikku" have been discussed in the open. But in ARR's, atleast as far as in TFM , he owes many of his songs to MSV . He , unlike Deva , cleverly lifts portions of the songs from the middle and reuses them with slight tweeks here and there.
Konjum mainakkaLe from "vaarungaL onrai serungaL" from MSV's Ranuvaveeran is another such instance and there are many

rajasaranam
4th January 2008, 04:11 PM
Rajasaranam, thanks for seeing my POV. Both Raja and Rahman have been inspired by MSV. In Raja's case, songs like "pudhu maapiLLaikku" have been discussed in the open. But in ARR's, atleast as far as in TFM , he owes many of his songs to MSV . He , unlike Deva , cleverly lifts portions of the songs from the middle and reuses them with slight tweeks here and there.
Konjum mainakkaLe from "vaarungaL onrai serungaL" from MSV's Ranuvaveeran is another such instance and there are many

thumburu,

there are atleast 20 - 30 songs of ARR like this for which many people are claiming to be tweaked from some other songs. And majority of it is from MSV. Hmmm... And people will have their own rational explanation that its only an inspiration. Inspiration?!! considering the proportion between the total no. of outputs and inspirations its too high IMHO.

raja_fan
4th January 2008, 06:05 PM
"In Raja's case, songs like "pudhu maapiLLaikku" have been discussed in the open."

Thumburu,

are you talking about IR singing "Naan paarthadhile.." in this tune ?

If so, that is not at all a copy ! It is just that both lyrics and tunes can be interchanged surprisingly . In fact one should appreciate IR for finding this out :)

Also, now I understand what ARR means when he says he is a MSV fan. Poor MSV !

app_engine
4th January 2008, 08:19 PM
He , unlike Deva , cleverly lifts portions of the songs from the middle and reuses them with slight tweeks here and there.

And unlike "early IR" as well:-) All of us have beaten up IR for BoneyM's Sunny to Priya's darling darling (and ABBA's money money money to kaN malarkaLin azhaippidhazh, even though the inspiration is very minor in this case). And Shankar Ganesh was punished by one and all for his Rasputin to nAn dhAnE oru pudhukkavidhai. OTOH, ARR got away scot free for his 'new york nagaram', simply because he got the pallavi from somewhere in the middle of the same Rasputin song:-) And rOja rojA, roja roja from koduththa sandhangaLil portion of sippi irukkudhu, again from the middle of the song. At least this case was discussed a bit (and so was the kallellAm mANikkakkallAgumA to sollAyO solaikkiLi...this song also has portions of inji iduppazhagi in the saraNam)

Clever indeed!

crajkumar_be
4th January 2008, 09:35 PM
I didnt find even 1% of similarity in the pallavi and was thinking why people are claiming its rehash from that particular song, but when i moved on to charanam i was astonished. Its one and the same....
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=156672

Thanks for the link.

<Last Dig>
After listening to the charanam a few times (asked my wife to listen many times too :razz: ), IMO, it is NOT a blatant lift at all.
LM, Maddy, Raja_Fan - please listen to the song and see for yourselves and correct me if im wrong!. In fact, in the "original" the charanam consists only of the same repeated lines...Even those cannot be said to be carbon copied in Rahman's song. idha blatant lift nu solla mudiyaadhu enbadhu en karuthu...
</Dig>

app_engine
4th January 2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-01-09/pg5.php

ARR replies to a question about IR. It goes like "if IR had been properly compensated for his 3000 or so songs (say 500 movies with 6 songs each), i.e. in the way artists are compensated abroad, then he would've bought the whole TN."

app_engine
4th January 2008, 10:19 PM
Interestingly, it was IR who started the fight for proper recognition / compensation / royalty etc. At least he ensured in the TF arena that MD is regarded highly, sometimes even at par with the director, hero.

And I think he was among the pioneers to sign-up royalty for MD.

Unfotunately, either he wasn't astute about IP or the country's laws weren't / aren't as good and hence he became a huge victim of kaLavu. Another reason for his limited earnings could be his emotional nature - so much of sei nanRi and other similar emotions that he had and thus won't charge money / reduce rates etc. for certain projects (TbI controversy notwithstanding).

That part is not bad IMO - money is required to live but not everything in life.

app_engine
4th January 2008, 10:31 PM
One more obvious reason for MSV/IR's limited earnings is the country's economy (& related policies by Govt.):-)

During their prime, there was no liberalisation / globalisation etc. Definitely nothing of the sort we see post-Narasimha Rao Govt's opening out of things. Even a trainee engineer today may earn an amount p.m. that is > what IR got for each of his first 100 films or what MSV got for 90% of his films:-)

Digression:
Don't tell me expenses have gone up too, yes they did but not in the same proportion as salaries. For e.g., while I could dine in decent restaurants in Palakkad for about Rs 15 a day while earning 2K pm in '86, that expense definitely didn't shoot up 20 times like my salary in 15 years...even in Y2K, one could dine for <Rs 50 a day in good restaurants in the same town. If self-cooking, the impact is even much less. Same goes for house rent or EMI which is the major one in most people's budget. OTOH, prices of so many fancy gadgets have either remained same or even come down while others had increased but never more than 3 times (automobiles, for e.g.)
End-digression

app_engine
4th January 2008, 10:51 PM
One more digression / disclaimer:
I'm not an economist and hence some of my observations above may not be applicable to each and every citizen of the country (in fact may not apply to majority). However, they may fit in well for professionals in the country, who saw some nice rate increases after the liberalisation.
End-digression

irir123
5th January 2008, 01:02 AM
App-engine: http://thatsmalayalam.oneindia.in/movies/news/2007/12/17/kamal-hassan-mt-film.html

can you pls translate the newsitem from the above site ?

it looks like Walt Disney is making a movie to be written by MT Vasudevan Nair with Kamal in it! what chances are that IR will do the music for such a project ?

app_engine
5th January 2008, 02:13 AM
Well, it doesn't tell anything about Disney. It says there had been a big gap after Chanakyan for Malayalam cinema to have Kamal, due to his huge price. Price apart, Kamal wants it to be a really significant project (like a period film with MT script, for e.g) it seems. As MT has become active again (with pazhassi rAjA), there is script made by him for KH for a period film. This is of a Japanese person researching how his ancestors got into Buddhism and ending up in Kerala. The director will be "sethu" Bala.

Article does not talk about the MD and it ends stating whether this project will become reality will be known in a while.

irir123
5th January 2008, 04:59 AM
Kamal in a film about Buddhism! wow sounds interesting! hope it materialises

kiru
5th January 2008, 07:28 AM
Here's an opinion on Sahana from a fan of IR's music - I have no doubts this is a very good song. It has all the nuances of a melody required of a top-tier indian film MD. The strings backing when the tunes moves upscale it standard, but ARR has done it well. Even the mridhangam bit is cute. Ofcourse, I am biased towards IR's music, compared to IR, ARR, does not keep the tune flowing smoothly. But ARR has a catchy pallavi and impressive arrangements all the time. munbe vaa might be a more complex melody but again, I feel it has more irregular flow than sahana and so I like it less. The 'flow' thing is mainly a personal preference. I dont know about the sahana raagam itself. But I guess major success of ARR is in not relying on raagam's for composition. When he breaks away from the expected twists/turns a raagam based composition gives, people probably perceive it as different/innovative or fresh.

If you guys like ilamai idho idho..I am sure you all will dig mEgam kottatum. I am a classic rock fan (U2/Dire Straits/Eagles etc). I think these compositions of IR are in the same class as these rock bands.

Nerd
5th January 2008, 07:48 AM
Thats a news to us :P Ilaiyaraaja who never gives interviews to magazines came out when the Periyaar Movie issue came up and gave a detailed interview to JU.VI. in that he clearly mentions he was approached by Rajini and he rejected it :)
Sorry to disrupt the flow again. But during CM times, sivaji films asked IR to score for CM to which IR politely refused. In all the Rajini IR meetings in the last 4-5 years they seldom discussed about working with each other. At least as a MD-actor :P I have my own sources and I dont normally believe in JV/sarojadevi etcc., Even if someone gives an interview to JV they won't publish it "as it is". The tone of raja_fan's post suggested that rajini was begging raja to score music and he refused. Thats what brought me here.

raja_fan
5th January 2008, 10:14 AM
Nerd,

I told "Rajni is behind IR for composing" !
I meant Rajni very much wants IR's music in his film, not that he is begging.
If he was really begging IR, he would have got frustrated by now and abandon any relationship with IR.

Nerd
5th January 2008, 11:34 AM
I meant Rajni very much wants IR's music in his film, not that he is begging.
I really want raja to score for a Rajini film as well.. Please see my avatar.. Most of my all-time favorite songs are by this pair only.. Anyway I really hope that it happens one day :cry: And I reitrate that no Rajini album has bettered veerA till this date..

thamizhvaanan
5th January 2008, 11:48 AM
OTOH, ARR got away scot free for his 'new york nagaram', simply because he got the pallavi from somewhere in the middle of the same Rasputin song:-)

app_engine, ARR has once said that the pallavi tune came out in a jam session wherein the guitarist did the basic strumming and ARR built the tune on top of tat.

You sound as if ARR sat down with a set of cassetes of Rasputin and meticulously chosing to import a particular phrase among those songs thinking that it will help to sell the song better. Coincidence will be an apt word IMO :roll: .

itsmuls
5th January 2008, 01:59 PM
Did anybody watched Kalaignar TV ? They have started advertising Raja's Dubai Concert for ThaithiruNaL

kalnayak
5th January 2008, 08:27 PM
Hi,
Fazil is going to direct a Tamil movie soon. The news from
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/tamil/exclusive/2008/fazil-come-back-040108.html

raja_fan
5th January 2008, 10:05 PM
Nerd and others,

Just now got confirmed news in NDTV that
"Rajni-Shankar-ARR are teaming up again for Robot".

From now on, I will forget about any more Rajni-IR speculation :(

thilak4life
5th January 2008, 10:12 PM
Raja_fan,

You want IR to score for Shankar? :roll:

And btw, Isn't Rajini's Valli an IR film? To my mind, the only good thing to write about the film was IR's work...

raja_fan
5th January 2008, 10:30 PM
Not exactly !
I still believe an Rajni movie again, will give IR a major boost in visibility again..
But now, it is not going to happen at least for next couple of years..

thilak4life
5th January 2008, 10:38 PM
Rajini is a saleable star and would definitely take Raaja to his recent crop of fans. But Raaja shouldn't go for populism any more. He's far beyond that, and he has reached a place where he should go beyond his musical horizon, than to regress with banal albums.

thilak4life
5th January 2008, 10:40 PM
For starters, Naan kadavul is the way to go! The unconventional "surreal" music is more like it!

Nerd
5th January 2008, 10:53 PM
Rajini is a saleable star and would definitely take Raaja to his recent crop of fans. But Raaja shouldn't go for populism any more. He's far beyond that, and he has reached a place where he should go beyond his musical horizon, than to regress with banal albums.
he scored for a movie called "madhu" last year. No Rajini movie will be worse than that and if you look back, ALL the Rajini+IR albums had superb songs, even super flops like vaLLi, UKNV etc., IR's last *hit* album in tamil was with another big star apparently :P

thilak4life
5th January 2008, 10:59 PM
he scored for a movie called "madhu" last year. No Rajini movie will be worse than that and if you look back, ALL the Rajini+IR albums had superb songs, even super flops like vaLLi, UKNV etc., IR's last *hit* album in tamil was with another big star apparently :P

I'm not saying he shouldn't do Rajini's album per se. In fact, I also like Rajini's commercial film albums (even those with Deva if it's good to hear). I'm just saying that Raaja has to explore the unknown. Come to think of it, yeah, he could very well do that with Rajini's works. BTW, I was basically uplifting our Raja fan. He seems to worry over Raaja's market, and popularity, which in my books, would conform to a very regressive theory, which is not what Raaja-ism is about. Hope you get the drift...

IR's last hit album edhu? Cheeni kum with Amitabh? I liked both the film, and IR's work ;)

Nerd
5th January 2008, 11:53 PM
I was talking about his last tamil hit, viru viru maaNdi virumaaNdi. IMO IR is better off doing films like viru than going for duds like madhu. I wont have qualms even if he quits films for good and strives in improving raja-ism (Is there a room for improvement :P )

NormalMan
6th January 2008, 11:55 AM
When you look at Spielberg or Geroge Lucas, no matter what they rely and goto John Williams since their dawn of ages. And every single time JW has given them splendid scores, be it ET or the Indiana theme or the Star Wars theme.

Disappointing to see disloyalty in stars who have ginromous fame, not recognizing talent, trust and chemistry. As one fine Englishman told me, "there is a clear distinction between sensation and classics" !!

Looking forward to Robot .... as a true Rajini fan though :-)

rajasaranam
6th January 2008, 06:48 PM
Sorry to disrupt the flow again. But during CM times, sivaji films asked IR to score for CM to which IR politely refused. In all the Rajini IR meetings in the last 4-5 years they seldom discussed about working with each other. At least as a MD-actor :P I have my own sources and I dont normally believe in JV/sarojadevi etcc., Even if someone gives an interview to JV they won't publish it "as it is". The tone of raja_fan's post suggested that rajini was begging raja to score music and he refused. Thats what brought me here.

I think atleast during the Thiruvaasagam time Rajini Had something in his mind to work with Raaja. On stage he said 'Naanga sila padangalla sernthu velai seiyyala....athu vera' But his tone evidently told that he is either guilty of Ditching Raaja or he wanted to work with him in future. And Right after Thriuvaasgam release before Sivaji was announced there were speculation running high that IR would score. Shankar Accompanied by Rajini Attended 'Bhava's Marriage reception. There was no connection between Shankar-Raaja Before this incident. and he was never foudn in any other Raaja related functions! .

May be true or not Rajini Heart of hearts wants to work with Raaja is my Feeling.

And this announcement of ROBO with Shankar brings all the hopes down :(

Lets wait for Naan Kadavul and Pazhassiraja :)

rajasaranam
6th January 2008, 06:52 PM
Raja_fan,

You want IR to score for Shankar? :roll:

Summa Eppadi score panraarnnu thaan paarkalaame :) Raaja was the pioneer in india to experiment with sound etc., (Vikam!) but somehow he is not doing that right now, Maybe Shankar can bring that part of Raaja Again. :)

buggle
6th January 2008, 09:01 PM
There was no connection between Shankar-Raaja Before this incident. and he was never foudn in any other Raaja related functions!
RS, i vaguely remember seeing Shankar in YSR wedding reception photo gallery.
So i think Raaja have a good rapport with Shankar as well even though they never worked together

raja_fan
6th January 2008, 09:36 PM
" And this announcement of ROBO with Shankar brings all the hopes down "

Rs, who knows ? Namma "sidu moonji" manushan enna sonnaaro ? Indha aaal pidivaadhathinaale namakku thaan nashtam..

Enakku enna varuttham-naa, itthanai naal Kamal kooda irundhaar..ippo avarum kai kazhuviyaachu..Ini veru yaar irukkaanga..Bala-vellaam ini evlo padam idhe maadhiri eduthu success pannuvaar ?
I really fear IR is slowly fading away..not due to lack of talent, but due to lack of association :(

Sanjeevi
6th January 2008, 10:11 PM
Wait,

Robot is not confirmed yet by Rajni

ananth222
6th January 2008, 11:19 PM
I'm glad that IR did not work in Sivaji, and I hope he does not work in robo. At his age and stature, he should stick to meaningful and dignified movies. Mayakkannadi and Cheeni Kum were right choices, and also Aa dinagalu from what I hear.
Though I didn't like Maayakkanadi songs first, the BGM was awesome, and I can see how the songs fit in.

raja_fan
7th January 2008, 06:23 AM
Sanjeevi,

NDTV says it is confirmed ! Also other web sites.

ananth222,

I will also be happy if IR sticks to good projects. But why does he do films like Kangalum kavi paadudhe etc then ? Do you think Shankar's film is any worser than all these ?

irir123
7th January 2008, 06:58 AM
Normal man: my humble opinion - In no way, can anyone compare someone like Shankar with someone of the stature of Spielberg - with due respects to Shankar, who at the most remains a B-grade film maker - of the lot, only IR compares with his counterpart John Williams

NormalMan
7th January 2008, 08:12 AM
irir123,
I was not (or never would in a coon's age) intending compare Shankar with Spielberg or Lucas. But rather bring out the trust/working relationship that has lasted between them and JW as a cue that Rajini could have learnt.

rajaalltheway
7th January 2008, 09:02 PM
Many years ago when K T Kunjumon was rooling the roost,right after SOORIYAN if my memory is correct announced a movie named POLLACHI CHANTHAYILE.The movie was supposed to be directed by PAVITHRAN with Ayyas music.Though KTK was not very keen on having Ayya Pavithran was adamant.Shankar was closely associated with the project.Some difference of opinion between Ayya and KTK regarding title made KTK abandon the whole project.When Pavithran came to Delhi for location scouting for I LOVE INDIA he was going ga ga over having Ayya for his film and lamented about Shankar who lost a big chance to come up with the stalling of Polla...yile(donno what shankars role was in that project).Later KTK gave Shankar a break..Pavi made ILOVEINDIA..and the rest is history..

irir123
7th January 2008, 11:10 PM
my few cents: KTK would have never got along well with IR! good tat they never worked together

kiru
8th January 2008, 04:45 AM
Shankar makes music videos stringed together with some dialogues :-) . IR composes for situations in a real script. In simple terms, Shankar, might require the MD to have the music in a certain, latest sound/genre etc etc.. I have a suspicion that IR does not like to take specs from directors and deliver songs per these specifications. I guess he likes to do things by himself. He does not like interference in his department. More like, "leave the music to me and you do your job". This probably works well with other directors. I am also sure if the script is say, sci-fi, then IR's music also will be sci-fi. We have trouble only when we have a pretentious script and IR doing the music, it is not going to cut it. Keep the script honest and straight..the music from the gnani will be straight too. IF you are trying to sell some lame stuff packaged in high-technology and bombast then he is not the man.

raja_fan
8th January 2008, 06:29 AM
kiru,

I agree with you, but not exactly.

IR does gets ideas from directors. Otherwise why were his scores too different in case of Mani ratnam, Kamal etc.
I remember IR tuned "Inji iduppazhagi.." after Kamal told him that he wanted a tune like SD.Burman's old tune.

raja_fan
8th January 2008, 06:32 AM
After Kadhalan, KTK never got along with Shankar too.

raja_fan
8th January 2008, 08:32 AM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/01/08/stories/2008010850630200.htm

Rahman silently does what IR was always talking about !

Thalaivaa.., ho..hoom..yedhavaadhu seinje aaganum :(

crvenky
8th January 2008, 12:34 PM
Couple of years back, there was an advt for Income Tax dept, which was directed by Shankar and acted by Kamal. It had music by IR. So, can we say, officially they have worked together?

rajasaranam
8th January 2008, 01:28 PM
Couple of years back, there was an advt for Income Tax dept, which was directed by Shankar and acted by Kamal. It had music by IR. So, can we say, officially they have worked together?

and Lyrics by Vairamuthu :o I think everyone worked independently and never interacted with each other :?

kiru
8th January 2008, 11:17 PM
kiru,

I agree with you, but not exactly.

IR does gets ideas from directors. Otherwise why were his scores too different in case of Mani ratnam, Kamal etc.
I remember IR tuned "Inji iduppazhagi.." after Kamal told him that he wanted a tune like SD.Burman's old tune.

Ofcourse, but I think anybody else other than a few can provide such direct input to IR. After all, IR considers Kamal as one of the two persons in the whole of the film industry who 'know' music. Other directors like Mani, BR, etc all have an ear for picking the right tune. So in general, cues in the form of script/situation drives IR, this is the best way for a director to influence him. Do you remember the analysis of ennuLLE ennuLLE by senthil ? The music tells the story of what is happening.

kiru
8th January 2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/01/08/stories/2008010850630200.htm

Rahman silently does what IR was always talking about !

Thalaivaa.., ho..hoom..yedhavaadhu seinje aaganum :(

Probably old age or the fall from the numero uno position has IR vaunting for grandiose visions.. IMHO, TIS, could have been done with much less expenditure. Similarly, his University is also probably languishing for lack of funds. Just like his music, Rehman, is a practical guy, he will make do with whatever he has. When the industry was recording music with an orchestra, he used his keyboard/synths and turned that disadvantage into an advantage. He probably also has lot more money and connections.

Vkrish
16th January 2008, 03:38 AM
'Raajangham' in Aahaa FM going great these days... the otherday some one named Bala, a veena musician hinted some great veena based songs, followed by its relay !! One such number was a great fusion from the film Raja Paarvai, which had some fantastic veena+violin pieces & other one from abt a classical song from film Manjal Nila sung by KJ & sasirekha...any idea where can i get these..

Right now, interview with Drum Sivamani is on as part of pongal special, njoymadi...

http://aahaafm.com/

raja_fan
16th January 2008, 01:20 PM
IR's programme in Kalaignar TV :

Good, but still will be behind his programme for Jaya TV.

* Same songs were repeated making viewers wonder at times whether they are seeing the same programme again.

* Rehearsal could have been surely better. Lot of misses and problems in sync.

* Acoustics and mikes. Many violin and guitar pieces were almost unaudible. Why did they try "Rakkamma" on stage :(

But one thing was made clear. Raja's association with Malayalam land was brought forth in a way as never before.

So our Tamil people who might have been thinking that Raja has retired, would have now come to know that he has been capturing Mallu people hearts silently all these years :)

Saw "Idea Star Singer" in Asianet. They have a separate round for "IR hits" now !

raja_fan
16th January 2008, 06:57 PM
Raja's concerts on demand it seems !

Just now, happened to watch Jaya TV. What a surprise !!
Re telecast of "Andrum Indrum Endrum " :) :)

krish244
17th January 2008, 05:19 PM
Wanted to post this a few days back...forgot. On Jaya TV, last sunday's RAAGAMALIKA program was IR special. It was not the usual participants/judges fare. This time it was new TFM singers singing some of old IR's hits in front of some dignitaries (balu mahendra, a carnatic singer (forgot his name), etc). In between, the comperer would ask from the dignitaries their opinion about IR. I could watch only a very little (15 mins out of 60 mins :( ) of the program. At the end, the comperer told it will continue next week although I am not sure if he meant IR special or in general the program itself. So, keep a watch.

The orchestra's performance was at a decent level I should say. In whatever little I could see, Haricharan sang "Mandram vandha" and Sandhavi one or two songs and some singer sang "Anandha raagam"

Balu mahendra told that (only) it will be IR's score till the last frame of his last movie. The carnatic singer told that he has not encountered any artist as knowledgeable as IR till now. I came to know that Panneer pushpangal was jointly directed by santhana barathi & P Vasu.

Is this an old program or new? I dont know as Jaya TV has the habit of repeating IR's programs whenever Kalaignar TV telecasts IR's programs!

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
17th January 2008, 05:27 PM
Raja's concerts on demand it seems !

Just now, happened to watch Jaya TV. What a surprise !!
Re telecast of "Andrum Indrum Endrum " :) :)

Raja_fan, I think it has more to do with Kalaignar TV telecasting IR's dubai programme. I am saying this because, even last time when Kalaignar TV telecasted IR's one man show, Jaya TV (re)telecasted AIE! I think it was on the same day last time, but this time luckily Jaya TV showed (retelecasted) AIE on the next day.

Anyway, competition between those channels is a boon for IR fans like us, as long as they don't show IR's programmes on the same day :)

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
17th January 2008, 05:35 PM
Anyways,
irandu political big-wigs "Raja engalukku thaan sondham" endru urimai kondaaduvadhu Rajavin perumaikku melum perumai serkkiradhu :)

rajasaranam
17th January 2008, 06:47 PM
Anyways,
irandu political big-wigs "Raja engalukku thaan sondham" endru urimai kondaaduvadhu Rajavin perumaikku melum perumai serkkiradhu :)

Raaja Thamizhargalin Sontham enbathai purinthu vaithirupavaragal :)

Vkrish
18th January 2008, 01:12 AM
Saw "Idea Star Singer" in Asianet. They have a separate round for "IR hits" now !

Thanks for this info, just checked few links at youtube on this specific IR Hits round in Asianet.. Wow..the program, the sets, compering, orchestra, judgement etc are far far superior than any of our local music programs. further the judegement by sarath, usha uthup and MG srikumar are of great quality. Especially sarath who mentions that has worked with IR, gives an indepth analysis of the singers performances... the orchestra is fantastic, especially the flute..watch out the links: esp.the judgement section

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xd8TMGYMO-I
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRSc4yQT2xw&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=33q9ugR9ceY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t9wMb8EJkYs&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bik76-YNyuw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Szww1bXp-ms

raja_fan
18th January 2008, 06:29 AM
the orchestra is fantastic, especially the flute..

Exactly ! I saw the programme on the same day of IR's show in Kalaignar TV.
One guy sang "Mandhiram idhu.." from Aavaram poo. You should have heard the violins. They were far better than those in IR's own concert ! :) [ but we have to remember that they will have multiple takes in a recorded programme ]

M.G.Sreekumar and Sharath have great respect for IR.
M.G.S assured two contestants that "I am going to meet Raja sir this month. I will surely recommend your name to Sir".

Surely Raja has created a strong impression in Malluwood. And we have to accept that Mallus are better than us in appreciating what is real and outstanding :)

Shankar
18th January 2008, 03:49 PM
Raja fan,
That guy's name is Najim (whoever sang the mandhiram idhu)...IMO, he should be the winner of the program. A fabulous singer, and his ghazal rouund is one of the best I've ever listened to in reality-show history.

raja_fan
20th January 2008, 10:04 AM
Watched Jaya TV Raga Malika today ! Vow !!! :)

Regret missing the earlier episodes on Raja :( :(

Compere Vijay Aathiraj : "After the last week episode, we were flooded with phone calls saying 'fantastic' and 'excellent' !

Balu Mahendra : "Till the last frame of my last film, it will be Ilaiyaraja's music"

Santhana Bharati : " "Even after 25 years, the song ( probably from Panneer Pushpangal ) is super hit. That is Ilaiyaraja"

Vasanth :
" Life is full of contradictions. While BM sitting near me has never parted IR , I did 10 films with 10 different MDs. My first film Keladi Kanmani. Raja composed the songs in 30 mins. I asked 'What sir ! in just 30 mins ?'. Raja replied 'Dont worry. only composing took 30 mins. But the songs will live for years'.
The rerecording was pending while there was just 2 days for release and Raja started for Tiruvannamalai. I boldly went to him and asked
'Sir, there is only one day left. Can you not finish the rerecording ? '
Raja : 'Who told you I will do it in one day?'
'But sir, you usually finish in one day..'
Raja : 'but your climax scene is very good. I am planning to take 3 days'
We happily postponed the release date.
My ipod is full of Raja's songs. Raja's songs mark the important and love moments in my life. They form the rerecording of my life. I wish that I work with him again very soon.

Shoba Chandrashekar : "I am blessed to be alive in Raja's times"

SN Surendar : "I have sung Raja's tunes in dramas even before he came in to films. Mohan's films with Raja's music are very different from his other films."

Other people present were Deepan Chakravarty, TV GopalaKrishnan, Babloo (friend of Prabhu Deva in Time) etc

Thanks Vijay Athiraj and Jaya TV for this fantastic show ! :)

Don't miss next week ! More songs to continue !!

From Jaya TV to Kalaignar TV to Asianet it is Raja, Raja worship all the way ! :clap: :clap:

Vaazhga Raja ! Vaazhga ! :notworthy:

Vkrish
20th January 2008, 12:54 PM
For those who missed IR's Dubai Program ...

Here is the festive bonanza Link, Njoy :)
http://puretamil.com/

Can anyone share the link where can we see Raagamalika program ?!!

Sanjeevi
22nd January 2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=388279&disdate=1/22/2008

rajaalltheway
22nd January 2008, 09:26 PM
WHEN MY COUSIN GAVE ME 'TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR' CD AS A BIRTHDAY GIFT,I TOSSED IT AWAY AFTER SHE LEFT.I DIDNT KNEW WHAT WAS IN STORE TILL I OPENED THE COVER.THERE WAS A BONUS GIFT ,'THE MAKING OF THIRUVASAGAM',A VIDEO CD.IVE' NEVER HEARD ABOUT IT,NOT EVEN FROM TFMP FORUMS.IF ANYONE MISSED GETTING HOLD OF THIS MASTERPIECE U R NOT A RAJA FAN.THIRUVASAGAM RECIEVED LUKEWARM RESPONSE I BELIEVE.JUST WATCH THE CD AND SEE HOW EMOTIONAL THE EUROPEANS ARE ABOUT THIS COMPOSER.I HAVENT SEEN SUCH HONEST STATEMENTS COMING FROM ANYONE,THEY ARE NOT PRAISING THE MAN,THEY ARE SIMPLY IN AWE OF THE MUSIC.THE WAY RICHARD KING SAYS ABOUT THE CALMNESS HE ATTAINS WHEN HE IS LISTENING TO AYYAS MUSIC IS PURE DEVOTION.A MUSICIAN WHEN ASKED ABOUT HIS EXPERIANCES SAYA HE HAS NEVER WORKED WITH AN INDIAN COMPOSER OR SUCH MUSIC.AYYAS CO-SINGER GETS TOTALLY EMOTIONAL AND DESCRIBES IN THE MOST ANIMATED WAY ABOUT THE MAN.MAYBE IN ABOUT 25 YEARS WE INDIANS WILL DISCOVER THE MAGIC OF THIS MUSICAL MASTERWORK THE WAY EUROPEANS ALREADY HAVE.MY FAVOURITE PART OF THE CD IS AYYA WANTS A PARTICULAR SOUND FROM THE VIOLINS AND THE CONDUCTOR AND SOUND ENGINEER ASKS HIM TO SING,AYYA OBEYS...THEN THE VIOLIN PLAYS,AYYAS FACE IN CLOSEUP ,WHEN THE EXACT METER IS ATTAINED HE SMILES IN JOY LIKE A BABY...AMAZING

buggle
22nd January 2008, 11:03 PM

Does anyone know who was the female singer along with SPB for "Rakamma Kaiya Thatu"

kingvj
23rd January 2008, 12:16 AM
buggle, that was Swarnalatha.

rajaalltheway, any link that can be posted for the video? my original Thiruvasagam didnt hv it..:-(

entertainment
23rd January 2008, 12:26 AM

Does anyone know who was the female singer along with SPB for "Rakamma Kaiya Thatu"

Swarnalatha (She has sung many good songs for IR. Malaiyil Yaro, Ennai Thottu Allikonda, Aattama Thaerottamaa, Ennullae Ennullae, Unnai Ethir...)

entertainment
23rd January 2008, 12:30 AM
WHEN MY COUSIN GAVE ME 'TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR' CD AS A BIRTHDAY GIFT,I TOSSED IT AWAY AFTER SHE LEFT.I DIDNT KNEW WHAT WAS IN STORE TILL I OPENED THE COVER.THERE WAS A BONUS GIFT ,'THE MAKING OF THIRUVASAGAM',A VIDEO CD.IVE' NEVER HEARD ABOUT IT,NOT EVEN FROM TFMP FORUMS.IF ANYONE MISSED GETTING HOLD OF THIS MASTERPIECE U R NOT A RAJA FAN.THIRUVASAGAM RECIEVED LUKEWARM RESPONSE I BELIEVE.JUST WATCH THE CD AND SEE HOW EMOTIONAL THE EUROPEANS ARE ABOUT THIS COMPOSER.I HAVENT SEEN SUCH HONEST STATEMENTS COMING FROM ANYONE,THEY ARE NOT PRAISING THE MAN,THEY ARE SIMPLY IN AWE OF THE MUSIC.THE WAY RICHARD KING SAYS ABOUT THE CALMNESS HE ATTAINS WHEN HE IS LISTENING TO AYYAS MUSIC IS PURE DEVOTION.A MUSICIAN WHEN ASKED ABOUT HIS EXPERIANCES SAYA HE HAS NEVER WORKED WITH AN INDIAN COMPOSER OR SUCH MUSIC.AYYAS CO-SINGER GETS TOTALLY EMOTIONAL AND DESCRIBES IN THE MOST ANIMATED WAY ABOUT THE MAN.MAYBE IN ABOUT 25 YEARS WE INDIANS WILL DISCOVER THE MAGIC OF THIS MUSICAL MASTERWORK THE WAY EUROPEANS ALREADY HAVE.MY FAVOURITE PART OF THE CD IS AYYA WANTS A PARTICULAR SOUND FROM THE VIOLINS AND THE CONDUCTOR AND SOUND ENGINEER ASKS HIM TO SING,AYYA OBEYS...THEN THE VIOLIN PLAYS,AYYAS FACE IN CLOSEUP ,WHEN THE EXACT METER IS ATTAINED HE SMILES IN JOY LIKE A BABY...AMAZING

Are not they in youtube. I remember seeing this in youtube but it may not be a full version.

buggle
23rd January 2008, 01:36 AM

Swarnalatha (She has sung many good songs for IR. Malaiyil Yaro, Ennai Thottu Allikonda, Aattama Thaerottamaa, Ennullae Ennullae, Unnai Ethir...)

Well i am asking about in the show..it doesn't look like Swarnalatha. I know the original one was sung by Swarnalatha

rajasaranam
23rd January 2008, 11:12 AM
buggle, that was Swarnalatha.

rajaalltheway, any link that can be posted for the video? my original Thiruvasagam didnt hv it..:-(

I think I uploaded these videos to youtube sometime back. My present office has banned youtube :cry: can someone verify if its still there. The user ID is "sharankay".

thumburu
23rd January 2008, 02:33 PM
A blog link to SPB, Chitra's "paadava un paadalai" concert of ONLY IR's songs
http://www.spbindia.blogspot.com/

app_engine
25th January 2008, 12:55 AM
KB's speech in praise of Abdul Kalam, with reference to IR:
http://www.chennaionline.com/cityfeature/Chennai/Jan08/01story70.asp

venkiks
25th January 2008, 03:26 AM
Thank you app_engine for posting the article here. I truly truly enjoyed reading K. Balachander's speach.

-Venki

raja_fan
26th January 2008, 11:33 AM
REMINDER !

Don't miss ! Sunday 9 A.M Jaya TV Raaga Maalika.

Raja special !

Sanjeevi
27th January 2008, 03:36 PM
REMINDER !

Raja special !

I saw last 20 minutes only :cry: .

BTW it was superb :)

raja_fan
27th January 2008, 08:09 PM
"Give Bharat Ratna to Ilayaraja "

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/004200801271967.htm

Though BR is a bit too much, Raja certainly deserves Padma Vibushan or Bushan !

Pity that the awards have been politicised too much now.
Madhuri Dixit Padma Sri !?

njv
27th January 2008, 11:40 PM

I dont agree at all. Raja deserves BR. Just by looking at people who have got this before in music/movie industry

Satyajit Ray
MSS
Ravi Shankar
Lata Mangeshkar
Bismillah Khan

They are all pioneer in their respective field (except Lata IMO) and IR indeed was much more than that.

Raajaalltheway, if you are close to IR and can talk to him, ask him to come out of FM and focus on creating additional symphonies or for that matter a new pattern of music that he world hasnt seen.

raja_fan
28th January 2008, 06:31 AM
njv,

I agree that Raja is no lesser in talent than the people you have listed.

but one issue is there..All these people have some how ( through their work or luck or political closeness too ) had All India visibility. For example in any part in India, people know who is MSS or Lata .

But can you say with confidence that Raja is well known above the Vindhyas ? That is where we are unfortunate :(

raja_fan
28th January 2008, 06:32 AM
njv,

I agree that Raja is no lesser in talent than the people you have listed.

but one issue is there..All these people have some how ( through their work or luck or political closeness too ) had All India visibility. For example in any part in India, people know who is MSS or Lata .

But can you say with confidence that Raja is well known above the Vindhyas ? That is where we are unfortunate :(

njv
28th January 2008, 10:11 AM
Hmm... Interestingly first 3 people who have got BR are tamils

Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan - 54
Rajaji - 54
Sir C V Raman - 54

Probably the award itself was created by Rajaji or someone who wanted to please Tamil people.

Just like Bharathi or Shivaji Ganesan, another unrecognized talent.

raja_fan
28th January 2008, 10:57 AM
Another problem is there !
Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award in the country.
And IR is just seen as an film MD.

So if by any chance he is considered, there was/is a big crowd of MDs here. Questions may arise...
Why not Naushad ? the Burman(s) ? ARR ? etc..

difficult to answer !

But I have strong hopes that IR will be conferred Padma Bhushan next year or in next 2 years. His name has started to emerge since past few years now..so they cannot delay much !

Sanjeevi
28th January 2008, 11:25 AM

I dont agree at all. Raja deserves BR. Just by looking at people who have got this before in music/movie industry

Satyajit Ray
MSS
Ravi Shankar
Lata Mangeshkar
Bismillah Khan

They are all pioneer in their respective field (except Lata IMO) and IR indeed was much more than that.

Raajaalltheway, if you are close to IR and can talk to him, ask him to come out of FM and focus on creating additional symphonies or for that matter a new pattern of music that he world hasnt seen.

I am next,

IR deserves to get the no.1 award of Indian Govt. 8-)

krish244
28th January 2008, 02:13 PM
REMINDER !

Raja special !

I saw last 20 minutes only :cry: .

BTW it was superb :)

This time I watched almost the entire programme. Listing below all I could remember about the programme:

1) Almost all the songs were performed (both singers and orchestra) decently. "Anjali Anjali" song was well rendered by the kids. Its a little difficult to end the charanam in that high pitch, but the (two) kids did well (they got claps from the audience for that). The orchestra as well played the preludes/interludes pretty well. I was impressed.

2) Few things that directory/actor/comedian Manobala said:

- "Kaadhal Oviyum" was composed in 30 minutes
- He also recollected how people (directors/producers) were scared (as a respect to his talent I suppose) of IR and used to hide behind something or the other. He also wondered as to why IR had to give such wonderful tunes (he meant IR (for his popularity at that time) could have given any tune and walked away, but worked hard and chose to give great tunes)
- It seems once IR was not sure what kind of a tune the director wants and Manobala (was probably asst. dir. at that time) told IR that the director wants a tune like "aigiri nandhini..." (devotional song). After hearing that IR came up with "Thamthana Thamthana...".

My thoughts: I was surprised after hearing this tidbit from Manobala. I never even thought of "Aigiri nandhini..." when I hear "Thamthana...". At this point I just could not help but admire IR for his originality and talent. If it was these days, a composer could have asked lyricist to write lyrics for "Aigiri nandhini..." tune itself. I am not joking. I saw/heard a new movie song on TV yesterday and was telling my father..."pallavi of the song is that devotional song...". Shameless copying by some of these days composers.

- Those days almost all of his (IR) composing would take place in a room (room no.117...if my memory is holding up :) ) in VGP gardens. Even today whenever Manobala sees that room in VGP, it seems he remembers (fondly) those days and the tunes created in that room.

- He wondered "avar harmonium pottila ondi eppadi appadi sound varrudhu?"

3) Deepan chakravarthy talked about "Poojaikkaaga..." song and how the ups and downs in that song's charanam was unique and that was never tried by anyone before that. Being part of the audience, he sang that song to demonstrate and man....he sang it so well. I really get impressed when a singer puts so much of effort (by time it becomes natural) to sing a song well irrespective of whether he/she sings in movie, stage or part of audience. I think this is a very good quality that other singers should learn. He, along with Surender, also sang a little of "Devadhai pol oru pen ondru...".

4) Someone said (I dont remember probably ramesh vinaygam) that no one has used the instruments the way IR has used and also used to wonder if its possible with this instrument.

5) Malaysia Vasudevan said that he used to sing (along with SPB as well) for IR from 1967 for IR's music troupe and used to admire for his hard work/dedication even in those days. "Thozhil bhakthi". I missed as to what he said later about IR.

6) Ramesh vinayagam said (as a fan and composer) IR used to work very hard even during his peak times. By this he realised that working hard is very important even if you are the peak of your carrier.

7) Unni menon said he was part of chorus singers (along with deepan chakravarthy and one more) for "Janani Janani..." song and that "Ponmane..." was a big break for him. He sang that song on stage in this programme.

I dont remember things that others said. If I remember any, I will put in my next post. I guess its become a long post :)

thanks,

Krishnan

sgmsin
28th January 2008, 02:53 PM
malaysia vasudevan mentioned abt the raagamaliga prog was that "yetho thiyanathula irutha pola oru unarvu..". Simply Superp Program presented by JAYA TV. Thanks to JAYA TV.

raja_fan
28th January 2008, 03:17 PM
Adding to krish244's coverage :)

1. The room in VGP Golden beach resort is No.110.

2. Manobala told "Prasad studio-la ulla ovvovoru thennai marathukku pinnaalaiyum directors bayandhu rajavukaaga wait pannuvaanga. Raja oru kerchief-a kaila vachukkittu ulle povaar. Engalukkellaam 'appaadaa sir vandhuttaar'-nu peru moochu viduvom.. Appadi yen mudhugu valainjadhu thaan :)"

3. Ramesh Vinayagam told "Namba mudiyaadha payanam- adharkku peyar thaan Ilaiyaraja. His rerecording sense is amazing ! the placement of instruments..even the player will not know such sounds can come out of his instrument !"

4. When they sang 'hey padal ondru..', we could see director vasanth gesturing to some body near him like "what a beautiful song !".

5. Deepan noted "niraiya isai medhaigal iruppargal. Ulagathin ore 'isai gnani' raja sir thaan".

The orchestra was excellent ! Particularly in the Anjali song, I had to doubt whether they are playing the interludes from the original cassette !! :clap: :clap:

The show ended this week :(

Once again many many thanks to Vijay Athiraj ( I think we should pull this man to our forum here ) and Jaya TV :clap:

krish244
28th January 2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks raja_fan. That was more precise details :). I also remember someone telling that IR, despite highly knowledgeable and experienced (in film music) went to a musician (I think TVG) to learn during the composition of "Andhi mazhai..." song. He basically meant that IR did not hesitate to learn despite being a highly popular composer.

thanks,

Krishnan

Adding to krish244's coverage :)

1. The room in VGP Golden beach resort is No.110.

2. Manobala told "Prasad studio-la ulla ovvovoru thennai marathukku pinnaalaiyum directors bayandhu rajavukaaga wait pannuvaanga. Raja oru kerchief-a kaila vachukkittu ulle povaar. Engalukkellaam 'appaadaa sir vandhuttaar'-nu peru moochu viduvom.. Appadi yen mudhugu valainjadhu thaan :)"

krish244
28th January 2008, 05:16 PM
Today I was listening to some of IR's old songs. While doing so, I realized that there are so many gems of IR's that are not performed on stage/contestants. Songs like "Raamanin Moganam...", "Erikkarai Poongaatre..." (great tunes and great music) and many many gems (endless..). I am wondering why many of IR's (other) gems are not sung by stage singers/contestants. Is it because the tune is tough ? In fact, I agree that many of IR's tunes are very challenging to sing, but at the same time I also feel people (current singers/contestants) should take the challenge as its a big learning curve. I really feel these will shape up their voices well. Anyway, just my thoughts.

One more thing I remember (before I forget... :) ) about the Jaya TV programme is that someone telling that they are very fortunate to have been living in the same era as IR. I guess this comment was made in AIE show as well (forgot by whom).

thanks,

Krishnan

kingvj
28th January 2008, 05:22 PM
Another controversy in the making..!!!

Ennaththa solla..!!! :-(

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2008/01/28-thiruma-urges-center-honour-illayaraaja-rathna.html

krish244
28th January 2008, 05:43 PM
[tscii:f85edcdf1e]Carnatic singer Bombay Jayashri mentions IR.

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Jan282008/metromon2008012748942.asp

"Jayashri, who is greatly influenced by Bharathiyar’s poetry, has high regard for music maestro Ilayaraja. “It is from him that I learnt how to use the words, how to use the mike, breath control, he would demonstrate everything. I come back rich every time I sing for him,” she says with nostalgia.
"

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:f85edcdf1e]

app_engine
29th January 2008, 04:22 AM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=389716&disdate=1/29/2008

Another account of IR's speed in composing.

njv
29th January 2008, 11:14 AM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=389716&disdate=1/29/2008

Another account of IR's speed in composing.

After 30 minutes of composition KR asked if thats enough and IR mentioned that "only composition last for 30 minutes but the song will last for ever". Just saw KR interview recently!

raja_fan
29th January 2008, 01:32 PM
njv,

Is that Keyar or Vasanth ? Vasanth told the same words in Jaya TV's Ragamalika..

rooky
29th January 2008, 01:45 PM
I read this in today's Thanthi paper.

What was more Interesting for me in that was, Keyar says, Fore song composition, he took Raja and the cinematographer(i guess) to Kerala for 3 days.But, Raja gave 8tunes in half an hour out of which 7 were used and 1 was not used,which raja himself wanted to do away.

Keyar here also adds the statement that njv had posted.

thumburu
29th January 2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks Krish and raja_fan. That was a nice recount of the Ragamalika IR episode. Iam cursing myself for having missed this programme.
Last week's kalki carried director S.P.Muthuraman's interview , recalling how IR composed everlasting, lovely tunes for the film "Priya" . The tunes made him feel as if he were already in a foreign locale.

raja_fan
29th January 2008, 03:18 PM
thumburu,

Don't worry !

Rajavin pugazh oru kadal. Adhil alaigal oivadhillai :)

Continue watching Ragamalika. As long as that guy (Vijay Athiraj) comperes, it will have Raja's scent in it.

Also watch Asianet's Idea star singer. They have special round exclusively for Raja.

njv
30th January 2008, 10:37 AM
Keyar here also adds the statement that njv had posted.

raja_fan, it was KR.

Rooky - i saw this in Vijay tv, I believe as part of Vijay Times during some movie inaguration function.

itsmuls
30th January 2008, 11:45 AM
[tscii:417b060cbf]http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/jan-08-04/29-01-08-kodai-vidumurai.html

Kodai Vidumurai – All newbies and a veteran!
By Behindwoods News Bureau.
January 29, 2008

While Tamil Cinema has been going through rough patches, there have also been visual treats in the form of excellent quality films. And on this note the whole industry awaits the return of the veteran director "Balu Mahendra" who is all set for his next film "Kodai Vidumurai". The director who needs no introduction pioneered innovative camera style for color in South Indian films. Eighteen directorial ventures and 30 years later, Balu Mahendra is on the verge of completing the script for his new film.

Reports claim that the veteran is all set for his next venture "Kodai Vidumurai", which is said to be produced by the 'Aankh' organization (Mumbai). Mr. Mahendra, who thinks fresh faces will do the trick for him, is all set for the shoot commencing next month. While 'Typical Masala films' have been the order of the day for Tamil Films, Balu Mahendra's comeback with his latest proposal would certainly be a silver lining among audiences craving for a good film. All wishes to Mr. Mahendra and his team.

IS RAJA SIR GOING TO DO MUSIC FOR THIS ALBUM ?[/tscii:417b060cbf]

rooky
31st January 2008, 01:19 PM
Copy-pasting from Dasa forumhub page.IR and Kamal for a cause..
Thanks to hubber SoftSword.

இதயங்களின் நாயகன் கமல்!

பந்திக்கு முந்து படைக்குப் பிந்து என்று தமிழில் ஒரு பழமொழி உண்டு. கலைஞானி கமல்ஹாசனுக்கு இது பொருந்தாது. அவர் பந்திக்கு பிந்துவார், நல்ல காரியங்கள் செய்யும் படையில் முதல் ஆளாக நிற்பார்.

குறிப்பாக மருத்துவ உதவிகள் செய்வதில் எப்போதும் முன்னணியில் நிற்பவர் கமல். இலவச ரத்த தான முகாம்கள், கண் ஒளி வழங்கும் முகாம்கள் என ஆண்டு முழுவதும் தனது ரசிகர் நற்பணி இயக்கம் மூலம் செய்து வருகிறார். தனது உடலையே, அரசு பொது மருத்துவமனை மருத்துவக் கல்லூரிக்கு தானமாகக் கொடுத்துவிட்டவர் கமல். இப்போது மேலும் ஒரு புதிய பணியில் தன்னை ஈடுபடுத்திக் கொண்டுள்ளார்.

உலக மலையாளிகள் சம்மேளனம், மெட்ராஸ் மெடிகல் மிஷன் மற்றும் மலையாள மனோரமா நிறுவனம் ஆகியவை இணைந்து இந்த ஆண்டு 100 ஏழைக் குழந்தைகளுக்கு இலவச இதய அறுவைச் சிகிச்சைக்கு ஏற்பாடு செய்துள்ளன. இதற்காகும் செலவுத் தொகை ரூ.100 லட்சத்தை, சிறப்பு இசை நிகழ்ச்சி மூலம் திரட்ட திட்டமிட்டுள்ளன.

இசைஞானி டாக்டர் இளையராஜாவின் தலைமையில் நடைபெறும் இந்த நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு இருதய ராகம் -2008 எனப் பெயரிடப்பட்டுள்ளது. இந்த நிகழ்ச்சியை தானே முன்வந்து ஏற்பாடு செய்ததோடு நில்லாமல், நிகழ்ச்சியின் தூதராகவும் செயல்பட்டு நிதி திரட்டித் தருகிறார் கமல்ஹாசன்.

பிப்ரவரி 24-ம் தேதி மாலை 5-30 மணிக்கு சென்னை நேரு உள்விளையாட்டு அரங்கில் நடக்கும் இந்த நிகழ்ச்சியில் தென்னிந்திய சினிமாவின் அனைத்து இசைக் கலைஞர்களும் பாடகர்களும் பங்கேற்கிறார்கள். இசைஞானி இளையராஜா குத்துவிளக்கேற்றி துவக்கி வைத்துப் பாடுகிறார்.

இதற்கென நேற்று ஏற்பாடு செய்யப்பட்டிருந்த சிறப்பு பத்திரிகையாளர் கூட்டத்தில் கலந்து கொண்ட கமல்ஹாசன் கூறியதாவது:

இந்தியாவில் இருதய நோயால் தவிக்கும் ஏழைக் குழந்தைகளின் எண்ணிக்கை ஆண்டுதோறும் அதிகரித்துக் கொண்டே வருகிறது. இதற்கு அரசாங்கம் மட்டுமே தீர்வு காண முடியாது. இதயமுள்ள ஒவ்வொரு இந்தியக் குடிமகனும் தன்னால் ஆன உதவியைச் செய்து, இந்நோயில் வாடும் பிஞ்சு இதயங்களைக் காக்க வேண்டும்.

ஒவ்வொரு குழந்தையின் இருதய அறுவைச் சிகிச்சைக்கும் ரூ.1 லட்சம் செலவாகிறது. ஆனால் ஏழைகள் இவ்வளவு பெரிய தொகைக்கு எங்கே போவார்கள். அதனால்தான் இப்படி ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு ஏற்பாடு செய்யப்பட்டுள்ளது. இப்படி ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு தூதுவராக என்னை அறிவித்துக் கொள்வதில் நிஜமான சந்தோஷமும் பெருமையும் எனக்கு.

எனது தலையில் இயங்கும் கமல்ஹாசன் நற்பணி இயக்கம் சார்பில் கடந்த ஆண்டு 16 சிறுவர்களுக்கு இம்மாதிரி இலவச அறுவைச் சிகிச்சை செய்திருக்கிறோம். இனி வரும் காலங்களில் இந்த உதவி இன்னும் பெரிய அளவில் செய்யப்பட, இருதயராகம் நிகழ்ச்சி எனக்கு உந்துதலாக அமைந்துள்ளது. இந்த இசை நிகழ்ச்சியில் நானும் பங்கேற்கிறேன். இளையராஜா போன்ற மேதைகள் ஆணையிட்டால் பாடுகிறேன், ஏன் ஆடவும் தயங்க மாட்டேன். ஒரு நல்ல செயலுக்காக என்னாலான அத்தனை உதவிகளையும் செய்வேன், என்றார் கமல்.

இந்த நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு நன்கொடை வழங்க விரும்புவோர் உலக மலையாளிகள் சம்மேளனம், சென்னை மாகாணம் (World Malayalee Council, Chennai Province) எனும் பெயரில் சென்னையில் செலுத்தத்தக்க டிடி/காசோலை அனுப்பலாம்.

உலக மலையாளிகள் கவுன்சில் ஏற்கெனவே கடந்த 2006-ம் ஆண்டு இதே போன்றதொரு நிகழ்ச்சியை நடத்தி நிதி திரட்டி, 60 குழந்தைகளுக்கு இலவச இருதய அறுவைச் சிகிச்சை செய்துள்ளது. இதில் பிறந்து 8 மணி நேரம் மட்டுமே ஆன ஒரு குழந்தைக்கு செய்யப்பட்ட இலவச இருதய அறுவைச் சிகிச்சையும் அடங்கும். இதைத் தவிர ஏராளமான மருத்துவ முகாம்களையும் இலவச மருத்துவ உதவிகளையும் செய்துள்ளது.

இந்த அமைப்பு நடத்திய ஒரு இலவச கண் மருத்துவ முகாமில் மட்டுமே 3.2 லட்சம் பேருக்கு கண்தானம் வழங்கப்பட்டு, அது லிம்கா சாதனைப் புத்தகத்திலும் இடம் பெற்றுள்ளது.

krish244
31st January 2008, 03:49 PM
More links stating the news posted by Rooky:

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2008/jan/31kamal.htm

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/36257.html

http://www.indianmuslims.info/news/2008/jan/31/heart_kamal_haasan_help_little_patients.html

thanks,

Krishnan

crajkumar_be
3rd February 2008, 06:56 PM
From Orkut:

SHREYA GHOSAL ON CNN-IBN
Shreya Ghosal was interviewed by Rajeev Masand on CNN-IBN catch a star prog

She has worked with many MD's this year...So she was asked to pick d best of it....

For tat her answer was " Its hard to pick out one song frm it....Bt I say Cheeni Kum with Raja sir is cls to my heart....I luv Raja sirs compositon "

She was asked if she was asked not to collect money frm any of d directors who it would be??? Work free of cost??

Shreyas ans "Im collecting my money bt if im asked not to collect then it would definitely be Raja sir"...."For me he is the best".....

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/58026/02_2008/catch_star_shreya3/to-catch-a-star-shreya-ghoshal--her-songs.html

thilak4life
3rd February 2008, 07:32 PM
Whoa. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

thilak4life
3rd February 2008, 07:50 PM
Saw it completely. I wonder why this guy hosts! To bring in OSO, Aishwarya, brigade of other singers, sing few lines before the break, playing his favorite songs, ask her about "his" favorite songs, etc. Ask jejune questions at best. Why not ask about adapting to other languages, the genres, the working style of the composers, performing live, etc. Ofcourse, Shreya goshal is um, a sweetie. :P

kameshratnam
3rd February 2008, 08:35 PM
Rajeev is always like that...and thats got to do a lot with these north indians...they love arr and dont know much abt Ir..

thilak4life
3rd February 2008, 09:14 PM
The interview also had very less of Rahman. He just linked because she sang for aishwarya, and won an award for "Barso Re". I was disappointed that the interview had least bit insight to music, but simply a star-chat (true to its name)! :x

Sanjeevi
3rd February 2008, 10:38 PM
From Orkut:

SHREYA GHOSAL ON CNN-IBN
Shreya Ghosal was interviewed by Rajeev Masand on CNN-IBN catch a star prog

She has worked with many MD's this year...So she was asked to pick d best of it....

For tat her answer was " Its hard to pick out one song frm it....Bt I say Cheeni Kum with Raja sir is cls to my heart....I luv Raja sirs compositon "

She was asked if she was asked not to collect money frm any of d directors who it would be??? Work free of cost??

Shreyas ans "Im collecting my money bt if im asked not to collect then it would definitely be Raja sir"...."For me he is the best".....

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/58026/02_2008/catch_star_shreya3/to-catch-a-star-shreya-ghoshal--her-songs.html

Thalavi :notworthy: Wov great :D

I wish Shreya Ghosal to get National Award from an IR song :thumbsup:

Nerd
4th February 2008, 02:04 AM
The interview also had very less of Rahman. He just linked because she sang for aishwarya, and won an award for "Barso Re". I was disappointed that the interview had least bit insight to music, but simply a star-chat (true to its name)! :x
Music pathi pEsunA enna pEsAtti enna.. Shreya is such a sweetie-pie. avunga pEsunaalE paaduRa mathiri dhAN irukku.. But her comment on IR was straight from her heart :thumbsup:

raja_fan
4th February 2008, 06:34 AM
Luckily I hit upon CNN-IBN at the same time when changing channels !

Yes, it was straight from her heart. Also happy to note that northies have now learnt to properly pronounce "Ilayaraja", not "Illyaraja" :)

Her answer would have made north Indian viewers who are not familiar with Raja, to wonder "who this guy is that is so special" :)

app_engine
4th February 2008, 09:42 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=391075&disdate=2/4/2008

How Bhava got the award (and also some titbit about 'AvArampoo')

vigneshram
6th February 2008, 05:11 AM
Today's newspaper has the ad of inauguration of Balumahendra's new movie " Anal kaatru" sans the details of technicians.

Being a BM flick, it has to be Raja. Still, the ad would have been complete with Raja's name.

thumburu
7th February 2008, 01:50 PM
In Jaya TV's "then kiNNam" programme, it was told that IR's first salary for the immortal "AnnakkiLi" was a paltry rs 5000 and he slowly reached Rs.1 lakh only on his 100th movie "Moodupani"

selvakumar
7th February 2008, 04:19 PM
Not just for her. :) For many as well :wink: Couldn't see the interview here. Will check it out soon. Great to read her words on IR

raja_fan
7th February 2008, 05:29 PM
Shreya's quotes :

"Cheenikum is close to my heart as it is Raja sir's"

"any time..for me , he is the best" ( see how she blushes when she says this !! )

Fortunately or unfortunately Rajaavukku vayasaayiduchu ! illainaa oru romantic affair nicchayam nadandhirukkum polirukku :)

raja_fan
7th February 2008, 05:31 PM
thumburu,

Rajni got just Rs.3000 for 16 vayadhinilae.

So Raja has got better salary at that time :)

selvakumar
7th February 2008, 10:19 PM
Fortunately or unfortunately Rajaavukku vayasaayiduchu ! illainaa oru romantic affair nicchayam nadandhirukkum polirukku :)
:sigh2: :banghead: :cry3: :fatigue:

Shankar
8th February 2008, 01:51 PM
BM says "The cast and crew are not finalized yet, but one thing is certain that music will be by Raja"

Sanjeevi
8th February 2008, 03:16 PM
Rich presentation of Indian music with varied instruments (http://www.deccan.com/chennaichronicle/cultureplus/cultureplus.asp#Rich%20presentation%20of%20Indian% 20music%20with%20varied%20instruments)

app_engine
9th February 2008, 12:51 AM
http://mangalorean.com/news.php?newstype=local&newsid=66513

Even now IR is talked about as a key factor in the success of movies. Interestingly, while he was almost not visible last year in TF, he was associated with at least 3 successes elsewhere, with some decent scores (though CK was all recycles, it was pleasing to listen. vinOdha yAthra had the nice 'kaiyeththA dhooraththu')

Though this count is far from where he was in his prime, from a different perspective, even other younger MD's don't have a lot more hits (i.e. # of films) during last year. What it means is, in a fragmented market of today, none can hope to repeat the success numbers of yesteryear MD's.

app_engine
9th February 2008, 01:09 AM
Ofcourse, box office successes and quality are not the same:-( Despite the few BO successes IR had, the quality of his scores wasn't anywhere near what he is capable of. Last evening I was listening to 'madai thiRandhu'. hooom, sigh...we can only dream of getting such scores from anyone in IFM today.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the KKP (no enthu for it). Let's hope pazhassi rAjA brings back the real Raja...

Hulkster
9th February 2008, 07:49 AM
I dunno why people are sounding so "doomsworthy" of IR's work. The quality is always there..it is us who are always constantly assuming things..i think its fair enough to say he is concentrating more on bgm(isnt that the most important aspect of a film?) rather than songs. Besides theres ample proof that his tenacity of producing wonderful orchestration and instrumentation is there..even if he produced a superb set of "tunes" he is not going to build on that...rather he will only look forward to non-filmi albums and his bgm scores..its only us who always look forward to his songs. Just see anumanaspadam...the songs were all reworked tunes but the BGM was of a totally different level...its quite obvious he is only concentrating on BGM scores and has no interest in the songs.

Devar Magan
10th February 2008, 12:33 AM
Hulkster, many fans here are upset, because of the very very high standards set by our RAJA sir..

till date and forever his classics from the past are ruling our world.. its still damn fresh in our memories. .. its not like some other MD's songs, where the feel and the craze disappears fast..

i am not even going to listen to this KKP.. if its not good, it will be very disappointing..

ofcourse his BGMs are still top notch.. music for songs is a bit different..

raja_fan
10th February 2008, 07:26 AM
Devar Magan is right !

I will be now happy even if Raja goes back to his old tabla rythm based carnatic/folk tunes.
Getting sick of his formula based rythms now.:(

Hulkster
10th February 2008, 08:00 AM
I guess that all fans have different tatstes...my interest has always been in his instrumentation and orchestration rather than tunes..thats why i never seem bothered abt his tunes......well in that case i think thalaivar has to be forced to come up with spellbinding tunes since almost all of the song situations that are given to him are all "have been there before" type.

krish244
11th February 2008, 10:24 AM
IR's "Aa Dinagalu" nominated under "Best Music" category for Sunfeast Udaya awards to be held on March 9th. FYI.

I dont know (have not heard) how good the music of other nominated movies are, but I liked "Bidu Bidu" (Rajesh voice texture and style of singing in this song is almost ditto like current SPB) and one another song of "Pallakki" (Music: Guru Kiran) sung by SPB

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEK20080210161515&Page=K&Title=Southern+News+-+Karnataka&Topic=0

thanks,

Krishnan

rooky
11th February 2008, 11:44 AM
"Aa Dinagalu" with all new faces and only IR and Girishkarnads' names to boast, tasted sweet success and is still running past 125 Days.

I have listened to the two songs +theme music and also seen few bits on TV.IR seems to have done a very impressive work for this movie in particular.

The reviews were raving about Sangeetha Gnani's(as he is referred here) score for this movie.

Nice to see his name nominated.

crajkumar_be
11th February 2008, 12:25 PM
Was watching Padum Office in Vijay TV this weekend. It was the Light Meesic Finals.

The first team on stage was Nadar Kadai (HCL Tech).

Right till the finals they had performed Raaja songs in all the rounds. And all were difficult to perform on stage even for professional orchestra troupes (Anjali Anjali, Poomalaye etc). The lead singer's singing was pretty ordinary, but they were brilliant as a group, especially in the chorus sections and BGM.

In the final, they performed "Kombula Poova Suthi" - A rocking rendition of this rather difficult song. The women in chorus were terrific!
The judges were all praises and singer Krish even mimicked Thalaivar saying "Thalaivar maadhiriye super-a paaduneenga!" :lol:

Of course, they came first :thumbsup:

kiru
12th February 2008, 10:17 AM
Devar Magan is right !

I will be now happy even if Raja goes back to his old tabla rythm based carnatic/folk tunes.
Getting sick of his formula based rythms now.:(

You are saying this as though those tabla rhythm songs are some way inferior :-)
I just listened to some Hindi songs of ARR (Yodha Akbar) and I suddenly find kangalum kavi pAduthEy interesting :-)
What is the big deal in just changing the rhythm arrangements !!!
Anyways, the new songs of IR have made him self-conscious about his rhythm arrangements..they dont seem natural or meld with the tune very well. He just needs to be left alone to do his stuff. But ARR has to come in and create all this confusion :-)
The older songs with 2 or 3 different acoustic drum instruments in the rhythm section was much more interesting than just one synth drum of these days..

raja_fan
12th February 2008, 10:30 AM
I am not saying tabla rythms are inferior. But there was a time when IR fans felt like they were over dosed with his tabla and wanted a change.

But now I feel like they were better than these kind of tunes and synth rythms.

Regarding ARR's tabla usage in Jodha Akbar, I have not still listened to the songs, but will you expect him to use drums for a mughal historical ? :)

kiru
12th February 2008, 12:41 PM
I am not saying tabla rythms are inferior. But there was a time when IR fans felt like they were over dosed with his tabla and wanted a change.

But now I feel like they were better than these kind of tunes and synth rythms.

Regarding ARR's tabla usage in Jodha Akbar, I have not still listened to the songs, but will you expect him to use drums for a mughal historical ? :)
Hi raja_fan, I know what you mean. I am also one of those fans you are referring to. That is why I put those smileys :-)
Re: Yodha Akbar - no I was not referring to anything particular in Akbar. Just the tunes themselves did not appeal to me. Now and then ARR like anybody else runs into some rough weather. He is my favorite after IR.
(from another nadar kadai ex-employee :-))

raja_fan
12th February 2008, 01:13 PM
(from another nadar kadai ex-employee )

I don't get you :)
I know you are referring HCL as nadar kadai..but why this has to be mentioned here ??

Sanjeevi
12th February 2008, 03:53 PM
Shreya's interview (no video)

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/to-catch-a-star-shreya-ghoshal--her-songs/58026-17.html

Devar Magan
12th February 2008, 11:17 PM
(from another nadar kadai ex-employee )

I don't get you :)
I know you are referring HCL as nadar kadai..but why this has to be mentioned here ?? HCL nadar kadaiyaa..

bala, ithu remba overu :lol:

venky_vinod
13th February 2008, 01:53 AM
http://mangalorean.com/news.php?newstype=local&newsid=66513

Even now IR is talked about as a key factor in the success of movies. Interestingly, while he was almost not visible last year in TF, he was associated with at least 3 successes elsewhere, with some decent scores (though CK was all recycles, it was pleasing to listen. vinOdha yAthra had the nice 'kaiyeththA dhooraththu')

Though this count is far from where he was in his prime, from a different perspective, even other younger MD's don't have a lot more hits (i.e. # of films) during last year. What it means is, in a fragmented market of today, none can hope to repeat the success numbers of yesteryear MD's.

I think it was 1993 (or was it 1994 ? no, it is most likely 1993). Rahman was a very fresh composer at that point (you heard from him the kind of sounds which you get from HJ today). He had just made a few 'new' people sing for TFM in Gentleman (Suresh Peters, Shakul Hameed, etc.). Ananda Vikatan ran an article on TFM, giving the views of various producers and directors regarding Raaja and Rahman (The speed and quality of Raaja's BGMs was specially mentioned in that article).

Vikatan ended the article with something like this : "Whatever it may be, one thing is sure - the throne which was occupied so far by Ilaiyaraaja in TFM can not be occupied by anybody hereafter - including IR".

These lines were the earliest indication of the "fragmented market" that film music has become now.

Sanjeevi
13th February 2008, 11:52 AM
I think it was 1993 (or was it 1994 ? no, it is most likely 1993). Rahman was a very fresh composer at that point (you heard from him the kind of sounds which you get from HJ today).

Enna comedy sir idthu :lol:

Hulkster
13th February 2008, 12:19 PM
Sanjeevi he meant in those days...what HJ is doing is a exact copy of rahman's style when he first came...of course barring the repetitiveness and that same suttu vizhi sudharey/unukkul naaney/paartha mudhal naaley sound.

Devar Magan
13th February 2008, 12:40 PM
Raja sir is going to inaugurate Anna University's annual fest Techofes tonight..

raja_fan
13th February 2008, 04:08 PM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/13/stories/2008021357950200.htm

'According to the organisers, this is the first time that the veteran music director is attending a college cultural event. '

Raja moving closer to present day youth ? :)

app_engine
13th February 2008, 08:29 PM
The organizers are incorrect. Raja has attended REC Trichy Festember long time back, even presented a huge rolling shield that was used for the "overall champ" in Festember later years, when I studied.

And one of my friends, who was present during the one that Raja attended always used to tease me like:

"Every troupe that day sung vAsamillA malaridhu in the contest, onga Rasa mogaththa appappAkkaNumE....urrrrrunnu irundhAru"

kingvj
13th February 2008, 09:15 PM
IR in Ameer's Kannabiran...

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2008/02/13-paruthi-eeran-goes-to-berlin-film-fest.html

raja_fan
13th February 2008, 09:29 PM
"Every troupe that day sung vAsamillA malaridhu in the contest, onga Rasa mogaththa appappAkkaNumE....urrrrrunnu irundhAru"

:) Raja eppothaan siricha mugamaa irundhaar ?! Ippo thaan konjam sirippai kaattaraar :)

buggle
13th February 2008, 10:59 PM
The organizers are incorrect. Raja has attended REC Trichy Festember long time back, even presented a huge rolling shield that was used for the "overall champ" in Festember later years, when I studied.

And one of my friends, who was present during the one that Raja attended always used to tease me like:

To avoid these situations better IR restrain from these events just like how he avoid meeting the press or showing his face in satellite channels

krish244
13th February 2008, 11:50 PM
IR in Ameer's Kannabiran...

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2008/02/13-paruthi-eeran-goes-to-berlin-film-fest.html

Sounds quite interesting. Eager to know what will be the outcome.

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
14th February 2008, 06:39 AM
[tscii:638d502e50]
Interesting to read !

http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/14/stories/2008021458030200.htm

* Raja himself says he has completed "857 movies".

Only 857 ? for two years now, same figure is being repeated .

* He is working for Ajanta.

Oh ! is it going to be released then !

* He is also working on Ram Gopal Varma’s “Shiva”

??? Enna idhu ? Which Shiva ? Are we in 2008 ? :confused2: [/tscii:638d502e50]

kiru
14th February 2008, 08:12 AM
Raja sir is going to inaugurate Anna University's annual fest Techofes tonight..
hmm..why didnt this happen when I was there !!!

MumbaiRamki
14th February 2008, 11:04 AM
All,
I attended the Ann Univ program . Was there from start to end ..I recorded the entire program, but my hopeless mobile hung when saving..so :(
Some salient points..

1.Raaja has composed songs for SMS ..he sang one full song ffrom SMS in the program ..The story is about a girl whose marriage goes into a turmoil because of an SMS ...SO in this situation, she walks away and in the (background probably) this song comes ..The song was nice, similar to what we have heard in the recent Mallu -IR songs ..The surprise fact is that IR also wrote the lyrics for that song spontaneously .

2.The surprise was that he also sang a song from Oliyin oosai.the situation was that the sculptor imagines how it would be if the Model ( he makes the sculptures with her as reference ) becomes the actual sculpture ..the song goes like " kallalai irunthaen.." - And the surprise was that he played the actual song ..( I think Vijay Yesudas and Manjari has sung) ..the song had the tempo of Alalongili song from siraichalai ..No synth , but some soft orchestrations , the song was overall good...

3.The song Dheemi originally didnt have the first 2 lines..It was originally supposed to start from Dheemi Dheemi line only.. Raaja asked RGV the meaning of the line Dheemi Dheemi and suggested that it should have some lines leading to that and suggested the possible words ..This song was composed to lyrics..

4.Yes- Ajanta BGM is nearing completion ..

5. he also said that he he is composing fora hindi movie ..But somehow when he mentioned SHiva, i think press got confused that the movie is shiva ( but even im not clear on this ) ..

6. I have no respect for Anna Univ crowd ( being a Anna Univ guy myself) ..ATleast during my college time, only dumm programmes used to be held ..But surprisngly the crowd was quiet and there was a huge applause for raaja ..

7. In general he spoke about music and importance of learning ...One line impressed me " if probably i had amusic teacher in pannaya puram, i wouldn't have composed music ..Always create the thirst , and dont give water ..Let the student search for it "

8.Snehan praised raaja to himalayas ( typical of our poets) ..but he did speak from his heart ...

thumburu
14th February 2008, 12:04 PM
hi , I have sung in REC Trichy during Festember. The music shield was called "Illaiyaraja" shield. Our PSG Tech "Tech music" troup won the first prize and we got the shield from MSV's hands . The song I sang with my hubby of today was "Mounamana neram" from "Salangai Oli" :)

Sanjeevi
14th February 2008, 12:17 PM
I want raaja to show his face often in public

Sanjeevi
14th February 2008, 12:18 PM
Mumbai Ramki, Thanks a lot :)

BTW Raja used tamil or english to speak?

krish244
14th February 2008, 12:18 PM
post deleted....as it got repeated.

thanks,

Krishnan

crvenky
14th February 2008, 12:29 PM
புதுமுகங்கள் நடித்திருக்கும் 'கண்களும் கவி பாடுதே' படத்தில் சுமார் 1500 அடி நீளமுள்ள காட்சிகள் வசனம் இல்லாமலே படமாக்கப்பட்டிருக்கிறது. அந்த காட்சிகளுக்கு தன் அழுத்தமான பின்னணி இசையால் மெருகூட்டி இருக்கிறாராம் இசைஞானி இளையராஜா.

- News from Tamil Cinema

krish244
14th February 2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for sharing MumbaiRamki!

3.The song Dheemi originally didnt have the first 2 lines..It was originally supposed to start from Dheemi Dheemi line only.. Raaja asked RGV the meaning of the line Dheemi Dheemi and suggested that it should have some lines leading to that and suggested the possible words ..This song was composed to lyrics..

Thats a nice suggestion indeed! Surprised to know that music was set for lyrics. I did not find lyrics to be awkwardly placed anywhere. Nice job considering its (Hindi) an alien language for IR.

BTW, just yesterday I was listening to this song (after a long time). Its highly unfortunate that such a soft & nice melody has gone totally unnoticed. The sound clarity, orchestration, interludes are nicely done...with guitar bits, et al.

5. he also said that he he is composing fora hindi movie ..But somehow when he mentioned SHiva, i think press got confused that the movie is shiva ( but even im not clear on this ) ..

Wondering if he was referring to "Pa" (Balki's movie)...

thanks,

Krishnan

MumbaiRamki
14th February 2008, 01:27 PM
Sanjeevi,
tamizh thaan !!

raja_fan
14th February 2008, 01:40 PM
crvenky,

Padam varattum :) Paarkkalaam !

rajasaranam
14th February 2008, 02:50 PM
Wondering if he was referring to "Pa" (Balki's movie)...

or is it 'Quick gun Murugan' :?

rajasaranam
14th February 2008, 02:51 PM
crvenky,

Padam varattum :) Paarkkalaam !

Romba santhegama enna Raaja'voda BGM mela?

raja_fan
14th February 2008, 04:08 PM
rajasaranam,

Nichayamaaa illai !
Ennudaiya sandhegam padathin mela thaan, adhaavadhu director mela..Indha maadhiri Rajavin isayai patthi hype create pannuvadhu namakku pudhidhillai :)

rajasaranam
14th February 2008, 06:54 PM
rajasaranam,

Nichayamaaa illai !
Ennudaiya sandhegam padathin mela thaan, adhaavadhu director mela..Indha maadhiri Rajavin isayai patthi hype create pannuvadhu namakku pudhidhillai :)

Entha puthu director melayum sandhegam varaththaan seiyum, Yaenna kadantha 4-5 varushaththu Raaja'voda track record appadi :(.ithula veara P.Vasu assistentaam intha puthu director hmmmm...
Paarkalaam ivar Baalavaa illa soathaavaannu

Devar Magan
14th February 2008, 11:53 PM
hmm..why didnt this happen when I was there !!!yea... i was also studying there till last year..

app_engine
15th February 2008, 12:40 AM
hi , I have sung in REC Trichy during Festember. The music shield was called "Illaiyaraja" shield. Our PSG Tech "Tech music" troup won the first prize and we got the shield from MSV's hands . The song I sang with my hubby of today was "Mounamana neram" from "Salangai Oli" :)

Well, that was the shield I was talking about. This was supposedly presented by him and instituted from the year he attended. I'm not 100% sure about the authenticity of that claim, though. However, I've "handled" the shield at least once (not as part of a winning team, but as part of the organizing team :D )

raja_fan
15th February 2008, 11:29 AM
Always there is some IR song that you accidently discover and feel humbled that you have not heard this gem ever before ! This genius is a ocean you cannot claim to have grasped completely .

One such thing happened yesterday, when I happened to surf the channels ( Thank God ) and stumbled upon a Rajkumar movie that was running on Udaya TV. Within few minutes, I could find that the re-recording is IR's !

Then this song confirmed it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtIJepKU-LE

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/kannada/s/movie_name.2713/

An eternal beauty rendered fantastically by Dr.Rajkumar on IR's music direction !

Raja fans ( who have not listened to this before ), Dont't miss this one !

What a song ! Where is that IR now !!! :(

raja_fan
15th February 2008, 11:30 AM
Forgot to mention. That song is "I love you..Jeeva Hovagide.." . Listen and share your thoughts !

k_vanan
15th February 2008, 12:18 PM
Who score music for "Pasumpon Devar Varalaru". the trailer out in Kollywoodtoday.com ? i try to open but can't. can somebody help on this.

raja_fan
15th February 2008, 02:15 PM
k_vanan,

The trailer started and continued with a soothing melodious BGM very similar to "Pithamagan".

I felt it should be by IR, but at last it is by Vijay Antony. Should have been inspired by IR's rerecording style !

k_vanan
15th February 2008, 02:31 PM
k_vanan,

The trailer started and continued with a soothing melodious BGM very similar to "Pithamagan".

I felt it should be by IR, but at last it is by Vijay Antony. Should have been inspired by IR's rerecording style !

:ty: raja_fan

BTW IR will be good choice for this type Movies.

rajasaranam
15th February 2008, 05:15 PM
Always there is some IR song that you accidently discover and feel humbled that you have not heard this gem ever before ! This genius is a ocean you cannot claim to have grasped completely .

One such thing happened yesterday, when I happened to surf the channels ( Thank God ) and stumbled upon a Rajkumar movie that was running on Udaya TV. Within few minutes, I could find that the re-recording is IR's !

Then this song confirmed it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtIJepKU-LE

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/kannada/s/movie_name.2713/

An eternal beauty rendered fantastically by Dr.Rajkumar on IR's music direction !

Raja fans ( who have not listened to this before ), Dont't miss this one !

What a song ! Where is that IR now !!! :(

Absolute gem of a song. I thought of updating my 'Rediscovering Raaja' thread on this movie soon. But you stumbled upon it and posted :)

raja_fan
15th February 2008, 06:09 PM
VOTE FOR IR FOR "Aah Dinagalu" !

AIRTEL : SMS "SUNFEAST X" to 58585.

Or send your vote by email to

sunfeastudayafilmawards@itc.in

BSNL and Vodafone, I will post soon !

Hurry up ! I think the competition will be tight between IR and Manohar ( MD of Duniya ).

Let us make IR win !

irir123
15th February 2008, 06:21 PM
rajasaranam - that song is quite popular in bangalore/ karnataka! but looking at the picturisation, it is sheer RRRRRROTFL -)))))
awesome guitar work and amazing first interlude and a vintage IR change of tempo in the second interlude with use of 'staggered' style of mridangam sound - I suspect IR wud have scored for this movie around the same time he scored for movies like 'abinandhana' in telugu - i can perceive a similar flow in creativity in both!

raja_fan
15th February 2008, 06:33 PM
Absolute gem of a song. I thought of updating my 'Rediscovering Raaja' thread on this movie soon. But you stumbled upon it and posted

RS, do you have the mp3 of that song please ?

Also a good quality of "Nagu endide.." from Pallavi Anupallavi , if possible..

Even after nearly 30 years of growing up with Raja's music, we are still to dig up many of his unseen treasures ! :)

raja_fan
15th February 2008, 07:07 PM
SMS : SUNFEAST X

to

55858 Reliance spice VODAFONE

58580 BSNL

58585 Airtel

krish244
15th February 2008, 11:25 PM
The Hindu reporting IR inauguration at Anna University:

http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/15/stories/2008021550750200.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
16th February 2008, 10:26 AM
Absolute gem of a song. I thought of updating my 'Rediscovering Raaja' thread on this movie soon. But you stumbled upon it and posted

RS, do you have the mp3 of that song please ?

Also a good quality of "Nagu endide.." from Pallavi Anupallavi , if possible..

Even after nearly 30 years of growing up with Raja's music, we are still to dig up many of his unseen treasures ! :)

yes i have the songs will upload them and let you know in the 'sharing thread' :)

inetk
16th February 2008, 12:15 PM
Ilayaraja in my life. Long overdue write-up.
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2008/02/16/ilayaraja-in-my-life/

raja_fan
16th February 2008, 09:02 PM
RS,

Thanks a lot :)
Waiting eagerly for the songs !

raja_fan
17th February 2008, 11:56 AM
Devi Sri Prasad to handle the re-recording of Dasavatharam !

Again asserts Raja is his inspiration !

http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/17/stories/2008021750420200.htm

thumburu
17th February 2008, 02:36 PM
Mumbai Ramki thanks for sharing those interesting Techofest Tit bits on IR's speech.
Devi Shri for "Dasa.." bg ? Why not our gud old IR for "MY", atleast for bgm, considering the ever busy schedule of our Isai Puyal ? :(

Sanjeevi
17th February 2008, 04:10 PM
Mumbai Ramki thanks for sharing those interesting Techofest Tit bits on IR's speech.
Devi Shri for "Dasa.." bg ? Why not our gud old IR for "MY", atleast for bgm, considering the ever busy schedule of our Isai Puyal ? :(

Why not a combined effort by IR & ARR like IR & MSV combo did in MTK

crvenky
17th February 2008, 04:32 PM
News about Ajantha:

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2008/february/160208b.asp

Raja singing duet after 10 years??? :(
He sang as recently as in Madhu.

Sanjeevi
17th February 2008, 11:39 PM
இதற்கு முன் நந்தலாலா என்ற படத்துக்கு அனைத்து வேலைகளையும் முடித்துவிட்டு படப்பிடிப்புக்குப் போகும் தருணத்தில், தயாரிப்பாளர் விலகிக்கொண்டு விட்டார்.

நந்தலாலா என் கனவுப் படம் என்றுகூடச் சொல்லலாம். இந்தப் படத்துக்காக ஒரு ஆண்டு காலம் கிரவுண்ட் வொர்க் செய்தேன். இசைஞானி இளையராஜா இசையில் அருமையான 6 பாடல்கள் தயாராகிவிட்டன.

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2008/02/17-miskin-on-anjathey.html

Enna Kodumai Raaja Idhu .......... :cry:

sloshed
18th February 2008, 02:42 AM
inetk,

Loved your posting man...I think Raaja is an integral part of everybody's life... Whether u want to shut down the CDs of late that would embarass even himself ..you just cant remove him from your life. The songs listed in your post..or for that matter countless other songs of his..will be etched in TFM forever.
Countless other people who stay away from their homeland..literally cringe when we hear his music...Its like his way of asking "Why?". Raaja is divine. I guess all the ppl in this forum, given a chance will pour their heart out on why they all need raaja in their life..I am not going to go through the process..rather I really want to point out things in my opinion going wrong...
The main probelm atleast IMHO..is not Raaja..but the folks who get his music.. these ppl have the nerve to go to media and say "Raaja composed my movie in 30 mins"...what for?? or are they in "shock and awe?"

My emotions are hyper and active after listening to any clip of his songs in youtube...and here we have folks who claim to have composed thier movies in 30 mins....and these ppl are not a Mani,BR,KB,Mahendren or even a R.Sunderrajan.
As Myskin pointed out ..a director has to be music savvy ..there are no two ways about it..I cant fathom the output of thier combination..and I dearly hope we will hear it sometime..A writer needs a medium and the medium definitely needs music to make the viewers empthaise with him. If you watch "Anjathey" there are mostly two instruments cello and violin....thats all was needed and the output is amazing. While watching you cant imagine what Raaja would have done given this challenge.
I hope there still some directors who will say just a simple "No" to these 30 min output. No offense there are some immortal compositions earlier during the same period of time. Currently Raaja's state of mind is in a different plane.

I wish and hope he still has something left for us...but a sincere cry for all the driectors ..Just dont let him be...bring him back!..

inetk
18th February 2008, 06:51 AM
Very well said. While a R Sundarrajan or Manivannan may not have had much control over how they'd like their music (they got some knock-out music despite that!) from Raja, folks like BM, BR, KB or even MR would have passed on their vision on how they'd like their music to be - and we know the results of 2 strong personalities collaborating on music. We need a strong director who can 'extract' music out of Raja - much like Jaambavaan extracting the powers of Hanuman when even he wasn't so sure.

Apart from KH, who was the last person doing anything like that with Raja? BM may do it shortly in his just announced film...but others?

raja_fan
18th February 2008, 06:55 AM
Kodumai thaan :(
Raja-virkku nalla director kedaippadhe adhisayam....

Ok. Even if that producer has abandoned, I hope another one will take it up soon.

And if Nandhalala is his dream project, why not Myskkin try out for another producer or wait for some time and produce himself ?

Or if he likes Raja too much, why not he associate himself with him for future projects...? Adhai seiyya maattaargale..:(

raja_fan
18th February 2008, 09:30 AM
While a R Sundarrajan or Manivannan may not have had much control over how they'd like their music (they got some knock-out music despite that!) from Raja

RS or Manivannan might not have been demanding like BR or MR. But extracting work need not always be demanding.
These people would have got the art of nice narration or explaining the complete situation to IR. But they were never "jaalraas" like present day associates of IR.

For example, think about Pandiarajan. He was not a very technical guy, but certainly a very clever guy and splendid in imagination. See his camera shots ( by Ashok Kumar ) and screen play in Aan Paavam. No wonder he could extract some lovely tunes and amazing theme music from IR.

There is a scene where PR suggests to Janakaraj to open a hotel with video facility. See how he mixes the starting music of "Ilamai idho idho.." and the visual of water gushing out suddenly from a pumpset ! That is the creativity of a director.

inetk
18th February 2008, 09:37 AM
Sorry for this non-Raja post, but yes, Aan Paavam is one of my all time faves. Every scene is so damn imaginative that its hard to believe PR was a debutant. More importantly, the film showcases a village so realistically and beautifully and with such amazing sense of humor across every character - the film was truly a masterpiece.

No wonder Raja had a field day composing the theme and the songs.

rajasaranam
18th February 2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry for this non-Raja post, but yes, Aan Paavam is one of my all time faves. Every scene is so damn imaginative that its hard to believe PR was a debutant. More importantly, the film showcases a village so realistically and beautifully and with such amazing sense of humor across every character - the film was truly a masterpiece.

Kanniraasi was PR's debut movie :)

raja_fan
18th February 2008, 10:37 AM
Adding to my earlier post,

not many of know that PR is also a good violinist and had ambitions of becoming a MD. He did music for his "Netthi Adi" I think.

And about Kannirasi, that too had an amazing theme music for Revathi :)

raja_fan
18th February 2008, 10:42 AM
RS,

I am still waiting for the songs :)

rajasaranam
18th February 2008, 12:39 PM
RS,

I am still waiting for the songs :)

inthaanga :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?dferwjc90mg

raja_fan
18th February 2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks Rajasaranam ! :D
but, I am greedy..I want Pallavi Anupallavi too :)

rajasaranam
18th February 2008, 01:23 PM
Your greed is taken care of :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?f1hyxerzbfd

Billgates
18th February 2008, 01:29 PM

In Kannirasi, I love the theme music . IR judiciously uses this at critical moments of the movie & thats his greatness :D Vintage IR 8-)

raja_fan
18th February 2008, 03:10 PM
Your greed is taken care of
http://www.mediafire.com/?f1hyxerzbfd

Vaazhga ! Neevir vaazhga ! Nin Sutram vaazhga ! :)

btw..in your mp3s, the bass stands out beautifully though the overall clarity is not too good.

rooky
19th February 2008, 01:18 PM
[tscii:a3513c630a]
இதற்கு முன் நந்தலாலா என்ற படத்துக்கு அனைத்து வேலைகளையும் முடித்துவிட்டு படப்பிடிப்புக்குப் போகும் தருணத்தில், தயாரிப்பாளர் விலகிக்கொண்டு விட்டார்.

நந்தலாலா என் கனவுப் படம் என்றுகூடச் சொல்லலாம். இந்தப் படத்துக்காக ஒரு ஆண்டு காலம் கிரவுண்ட் வொர்க் செய்தேன். இசைஞானி இளையராஜா இசையில் அருமையான 6 பாடல்கள் தயாராகிவிட்டன.

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2008/02/17-miskin-on-anjathey.html

Enna Kodumai Raaja Idhu .......... :cry:

"Mysskin assured the media persons that he would definitely make his dream project ‘Nandalala’ one day or the other. He also confirmed that he is planning to direct a film featuring Vishal in the lead"

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/36639.html
[/tscii:a3513c630a]

inetk
19th February 2008, 02:51 PM

Ouch - for some reason, I had always assumed that AP was PR's debut, perhaps because it was better than KR. KR was good too, but AP is sheer brilliance!

app_engine
21st February 2008, 08:41 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=394834&disdate=2/21/2008

Friendship is different from business:-)

kingvj
21st February 2008, 10:18 PM
Can we expect another "Kamaraj"?

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2008/02/21-muthalvar-mahathma.html

raja_fan
22nd February 2008, 06:34 AM
a_e,

If what R.K.Selvamani has told is true, then IR is very much correct in keeping away from Rajni till date. No regrets :)

RR
22nd February 2008, 09:25 AM
Two IR's books released

Noted film music director Ilayaraja has made not only Tamilnadu but also the entire country proud by achieving great things, said film director Bharathi Raja.

He was speaking at a function held in Chennai recently. Two books of Ilayaraja titled Adiyar Adiottri and Isaignani Ilayaraja Aaivu Kovai were released on the occasion by garments baron Nalli Kuppusamy Chetti.

Receiving the first copies of the books, Bharathi Raja said that Ilayaraja was a man who started displaying great skills from a young age and he had gained knowledge about many things.

‘Ilayaraja has made the musical world proud with his skills, besides he has rendered service not only to films but also to divinity. He is the man who does everything with commitment and sincerity and that is the reason beauty can be seen in all his deeds,’ he added.

Professor Sarada Nambi Arooran said Ilayaraja’s knowledge of music was commendable and mentioned that he was committed to the culture and traditions of his native country and State.

Orator Suki Sivam said Ilayaraja was the person who was committed to his profession and saw divinity in that.

Speaking on the occasion, Nalli Kuppusamy Chetti said that Ilayaraja had scaled great heights in music and had dedicated himself to the field.

Source: NewsToday
[tscii:1806a9895a][/tscii:1806a9895a]

rajasaranam
22nd February 2008, 02:36 PM

RKS seems to be confused a lot. 'Vaithegi kaathirunthaal' and 'Mr.Nethaji' seems to be announced parallel as per his version :roll:

K
23rd February 2008, 07:48 PM
Two IR's books released

Noted film music director Ilayaraja has made not only Tamilnadu but also the entire country proud by achieving great things, said film director Bharathi Raja.

He was speaking at a function held in Chennai recently. Two books of Ilayaraja titled Adiyar Adiottri and Isaignani Ilayaraja Aaivu Kovai were released on the occasion by garments baron Nalli Kuppusamy Chetti.

Receiving the first copies of the books, Bharathi Raja said that Ilayaraja was a man who started displaying great skills from a young age and he had gained knowledge about many things.

‘Ilayaraja has made the musical world proud with his skills, besides he has rendered service not only to films but also to divinity. He is the man who does everything with commitment and sincerity and that is the reason beauty can be seen in all his deeds,’ he added.

Professor Sarada Nambi Arooran said Ilayaraja’s knowledge of music was commendable and mentioned that he was committed to the culture and traditions of his native country and State.

Orator Suki Sivam said Ilayaraja was the person who was committed to his profession and saw divinity in that.

Speaking on the occasion, Nalli Kuppusamy Chetti said that Ilayaraja had scaled great heights in music and had dedicated himself to the field.

Source: NewsToday
[tscii:1c188bf195][/tscii:1c188bf195]

நான் இளையராஜாவின் இசைக்கு ரசிகன். அவரது தொடக்ககாலப் பாடல்கள் முதல் நேற்றைக்கு வெளியானதுவரை அநேகமாக எதையும் தவறவிட்டதில்லை என்று நினைக்கிறேன். தியானமாகக் கொள்ளத்தக்க இசை வடிவங்களை வழங்கிய சில இசை வல்லுநர்களுள் அவர் ஒருவர். சுயம்பு, குழம்பு என்றெல்லாம் என்னால் சிலிர்க்கமுடியாது. கண்டிப்பாக மூழ்கி எடுக்கவேண்டிய முத்தைத்தான் அவர் எடுத்திருக்கிறார். கடும் பயிற்சியும் சிந்தனை ஒழுக்கமும் அர்ப்பணிப்புணர்வும் அவரது இசைக்குத் தனியொரு அந்தஸ்து அளிக்கிறது. மேதை என்று நிச்சயம் சொல்வேன். இந்திய இசை உலகில் அவரது தரத்துக்கு நெருக்கமான மேதைகள் என்று உடனே யாரையும் எனக்குச் சொல்லத் தோன்றாது.
மேதைகளுக்கு பலவீனம் இராதா என்ன? இளையராஜாவுக்குச் செய்யுள்.

அவர் ஏன் எழுத விரும்புகிறார் என்கிற கேள்விக்கு பதில் கிடைப்பது சிரமம். ஆனால் அதை ஏன் எல்லோரும் தூக்கித் தலையில் வைத்துக் கொண்டாடுகிறார்கள் என்பது புரியவில்லை. வாழ்நாளெல்லாம் புகழ்ந்து தீர்க்க அவருடைய இசை இருக்கிறது. போதாதா? எதற்காக அவரைக் கொம்பு சீவி விட்டு வெண்பாவும் விருத்தமும் எழுத அல்ல - யாக்க வைக்கிறார்கள் என்று தெரியவில்லை.

நேற்றைக்குச் சென்றிருந்தேன். இளையராஜாவின் இரண்டு புத்தகங்களுக்கு வெளியீட்டு விழா. ஆய்வுக் கோவை என்று ஒன்று. அடியார் அடியொற்றி என்று இன்னொன்று. ஆய்வுக்கோவை, அவரைப் பற்றிப் பல கல்வியாளர்களும் கவிஞர்களும் சேர்ந்து எழுதியது. அடியார் அடியொற்றி, அவரே யாத்தது.

இளையராஜாவின் எழுத்துத் தாக்குதல்கள் இதற்கு முன்பும் வெளிவந்திருக்கின்றன. சில அனுபவக் கட்டுரைகள் அவற்றின் விஷயத்துக்காகப் பொருட்படுத்தக்கூடியவையாக இருக்கும். புதுக்கவிதை மாதிரி சிலவும் மரபுக்கவிதையின் வாசனையில் டி.ராஜேந்தர்பாணி மோனைகள் மிக்க உரை வீச்சுகள் சிலவும் எழுதியிருக்கிறார். அவை நூலாகவும் வந்துள்ளன. மௌனம், மரணம், தவம், மனிதன், ஆத்மா, உள்ளே, வெளியே, வானம், வெட்டவெளி, அறிந்தவை, அறியாதவை, விடுதலை, வேள்வி என்று வரிசையாக நூறு சொற்களை இந்த ரகத்தில் எடுத்து வைத்துக்கொண்டு பெர்முடேஷன் காம்பினேஷனில் தொகுத்தால் கிடைக்கக்கூடிய கவியுருவங்கள் அவருடையவை.

சரி, நான் பாக்குப் போடுகிறேன், இளையராஜா கவிதை எழுதுகிறார் என்றுதான் சாதாரணமாக எடுத்துக்கொண்டிருந்தேன். ஆனால் நேற்றைய விழாவில் அவரை மாணிக்கவாசகராகவும் சுந்தர மூர்த்தி நாயனாராகவும் பத்ரகிரியாராகவும் பட்டினத்தாராகவும் உருவகப்படுத்தி (ஒரு அம்மாள் - அவர் ஒரு புகழ்பெற்ற பட்டிமன்றப் பேச்சாளர், பெயர் மறந்துவிட்டது. அறுபத்தி நாலாவது நாயன்மார் என்றே அடித்துச் சொல்லிவிட்டுப் போய்விட்டார்.) பேசிய தமிழறிஞர்களின் வீர உரைகளைக் கேட்டபோது அடிவயிறு கலங்கிவிட்டது. சுகி. சிவமும் தெ.ஞானசுந்தரமும் இளையராஜாவைக் காட்டிலும் சிறந்த புலவரே இல்லை என்று பேசுவதைக் கேட்டால், இத்தனை காலம் இவர்கள் வாயாரப் புகழ்ந்த கம்பனும் பாரதியும் அரை டிரவுசர் அணிந்து ராஜாவின் முன் மண்டியிட்டு அமர்ந்து யாப்பிலக்கணமும் இன்னபிறவும் படிக்கவேண்டுமென்று சொல்லாமல் சொல்லுவது போல் இருந்தது.

அத்தனாம்பெரிய தமிழறிஞர்களெல்லாம் புகழ்கிறார்களே என்று அவரும் தம்பங்குக்கு எம்பாவாய், எம்பாவாய் என்று வம்படியாக த் திருவெம்பாவை ஸ்டைலில் பா, பாவாகப் பாடிப் பொழிந்து தீர்க்கிறார். மாணிக்கவாசகருக்குக் கூடக் கொஞ்சம் மீட்டர் பிரச்னை வருமோ என்னமோ. இளையராஜாவுக்குச் செய்யுள் என்பது சர்க்கரை வியாதிக்காரருக்குச் சிறுநீர்போல் தங்குதடையற்றுப் பொழிந்துகொண்டே இருக்கிறது. இதன் அபாயம் என்பது சர்க்கரை வியாதியின் அபாயமேதான் என்பது ஏன் அவருக்குப் புரியவில்லை என்று தெரியவில்லை.

புகழ்பெற்ற சந்தங்களை வைத்துக்கொண்டு பொருத்தமான சொற்களைக் கொண்டு நிரப்பி இன்னொரு பா புனைவது பெரிய தொழில்நுட்பமோ, கலையோ அல்ல. இதற்கு தியானமெல்லாம் வேண்டாம். மனம் குவிந்து, கண்கள் மூடி, நெஞ்சு நெகிழ, அவனருளாலே அவன் தாள் வணங்கித்தான் ஆரம்பிக்கவேண்டுமென்பதுமில்லை. மிக எளிய குழந்தை விளையாட்டு போன்றதுதான். யாரால் வேண்டுமானாலும் எளிதில் செய்துவிட முடியும். மொழிப்பயிற்சி மட்டும் கொஞ்சம் இருந்தால் போதுமானது. இணையத்தில் அறிமுகமான நண்பர், கவிஞர் ஹரி கிருஷ்ணனுடன் (மரபிலக்கியம்) மெசஞ்சரில் உரையாடும்போதெல்லாம் தவறாமல் இந்த விளையாட்டை விளையாடுவேன்.

ஏதோ ஒரு தேர்தல் சமயம் நடிகை ரம்பா பிரசாரத்துக்குப் போகவிருக்கிறார் என்று செய்தி வர, அந்தச் சமயம் ஹரி லைனில் வந்தார். கம்பராமாயணம் தொடர்பான ஒரு புத்தக முயற்சியில் அவர் இருந்த சமயம் அது. சும்மா சீண்டிப்பார்ப்பதற்காக

கொம்பா இது கொடியா வெறும் அம்பாவென எண்ணி
ரம்பாவெனும் விண்மீனினை ரசியாதொரு கூட்டம்
அம்போவென அவரேறிட அம்பாசிட ரீந்து
லம்போதரன் துணையோடொரு தேர்தல் பணி தந்தார்.

என்று ஆரம்பித்தேன். நியாயமாக என்னை அவர் கொலையே செய்திருக்கலாம். உருப்படமாட்டீர் என்பதுடன் நிறுத்திக்கொண்டார். மாறாக, கம்பனிடம் சந்தம் இருந்தாலும் நுட்பம் குறைவு; அது உங்களிடம் மிகுந்திருக்கிறது என்று ஆரம்பித்து அரை மணிநேரம் பேசியிருப்பாரேயானால் என்ன நினைப்போம்?

அப்படித்தான் இருந்தது நேற்றைய விழாவில் இளையராஜாவின் பாப்புலமையை வியந்து சிலாகித்த தமிழறிஞர்களின் பேருரைகள்.

வாஜ்பாயி, அப்துல் கலாம், இளையராஜா போன்றோரையெல்லாம் அவர்களது உண்மையான திறமை புதைந்துகிடக்கும் இடத்தைக் குறிப்பிட்டு பாராட்டினாலோ, மதிப்புரை வழங்கினாலோ, விமரிசித்தாலோ அவர்களது துறையில் அவர்களுக்கு உபயோகமாகவும் தனிப்பட்ட முறையில் ஊக்கமளிப்பதாகவும் உத்வேகம் தரத்தக்கதாகவும் இருக்கும். இவர்களையெல்லாம் கவிஞர்கள், புலவர்கள் என்று அங்கீகரித்து, கிரீடம் சூட்டிவிட்டால் தாளுக்கும் மைக்கும்தான் கேடு.

இசையில் இளையராஜா தொட்ட உயரங்கள் அதிகம். என்னால் ரசிக்கவும் வியக்கவும் மட்டுமே முடியும். ஆனால் பா விஷயத்தில் அவர் அடிக்கிற கூத்துகள் அதிர்ச்சிகரமாகவே உள்ளன. இன்றைக்கு மாணிக்கவாசகரை வேஷ்டி உருவி ஓடவிட்டதுபோல நாளைக்கு யார் இவரிடம் அகப்படுவார்களோ என்று உள்ளம் பதறுகிறது. அப்பர், சம்பந்தர், ஆழ்வார்கள் பன்னிருவர், அடுத்த வரிசை ஆசாமிகளெல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் ஜாக்கிரதையாகவே இருக்கவேண்டும். ஏற்கெனவே பாரதியாருக்குக் குறிவைத்து ஏதோ ஒரு காரியம் செய்திருக்கிறார் போலிருக்கிறது. வெளிவரவிருக்கும் 'அஜந்தா' என்கிற படத்தில் டைரக்டருக்கும் தயாரிப்பாளருக்கும் தெரியாமல் தானே ஏதோ ஒரு பாடல் அல்லது செய்யுள் 'யாத்து' பாடி இணைத்துவிட்டதாகப் பேசும்போது குறிப்பிட்டார். அது பாரதியாருக்கு என்னவோ ஒரு பதில் சொல்கிறதாம்.

கண்டிப்பாக மேற்படி தமிழறிஞர்கள் அதற்கொரு விழா வைத்துப் பழிவாங்காமல் விடப்போவதில்லை. இசைத்தாயின் தலைமகன், தமிழ்த்தாயைப் படுத்தாமல் விடுவது தமிழ்கூறும் நல்லுலகுக்கு அவர் செய்யும் பேருபகாரமாக இருக்கும் என்பது திண்ணம்.
(நன்றி: பா.ராகவன் )

got this from a blog

krish244
23rd February 2008, 11:39 PM
IR launches Kalaignar TV's music channel called "Isaiaruvi".

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200802231940.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

RR
24th February 2008, 12:42 PM
K,

Had a good laugh reading that blogger's kindal. மேடைப் பேச்சில் இப்படி ஓவராக புகழ்வது ஒன்றும் புதிதில்லையே. ஆனால் இது,

புகழ்பெற்ற சந்தங்களை வைத்துக்கொண்டு பொருத்தமான சொற்களைக் கொண்டு நிரப்பி இன்னொரு பா புனைவது பெரிய தொழில்நுட்பமோ, கலையோ அல்ல. மிக எளிய குழந்தை விளையாட்டு போன்றதுதான். யாரால் வேண்டுமானாலும் எளிதில் செய்துவிட முடியும்.
உண்மையிலேயே ரொம்ப ஓவர்.

thumburu
25th February 2008, 03:04 PM
I concur with "Pa.Raghavan's "kumural" . He is a very good short story writer. I have read and enjoyed few of his "siru kadhaigal" at Kalki weekly. It is becoming a malady for the media to go over-board and extol the virtues of cinema related celebs like RK, Kamal, IR, ARR , AB , SRK sky high at every drop of a hat and that too in fields where they fare just average or sub par like Kamal's literary skills and vocals , for example.

Saagar
25th February 2008, 11:30 PM
Another New Film in Malayalam:

Shaji N Karun's next feature film will have Mammootty donning the central character. The film titled Kutty Shranku will have him in the title character, who becomes the fancy of three females.

The film which is presented through the viewpoints of the female leads will be scripted by Farooq Dhondy, who shot to fame with the scripts of The Bandit Queen.

World famous cinematographer Renato Berta will wield the camera for the film which has music by Ilayaraja.

Shaji N Karun is a National & International Award winning director.

irir123
26th February 2008, 01:48 AM
IR choosy wen it comes to mallu films - but totally unchoosy wen it comes to tamil films

raja_fan
26th February 2008, 08:26 AM
The question of choice comes only after projects approach you. In Malayalam, good people approach IR and so he naturally accepts them. Nothing choosy here !

But in tamil, if he starts to be choosy, then he will not have any tamil projects :) Because good people don't come to IR here..They will just say "My favourite is IR". Thats all.

krish244
26th February 2008, 11:44 AM
About IR's background score for "Aa Dinagalu":

http://www.mid-day.com/web/guest/lifeatwork/lifeatwork/article?_EXT_5_articleId=1011807&_EXT_5_groupId=14

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
26th February 2008, 01:39 PM
இன்றைக்கு மாணிக்கவாசகரை வேஷ்டி உருவி ஓடவிட்டதுபோல நாளைக்கு யார் இவரிடம் அகப்படுவார்களோ என்று உள்ளம் பதறுகிறது.

Idhellaam remba overu Raghavan avargale !
Ungalukku avar mel enna veruppo..yaarukku theriyum..

IR yaaarudaiya vettiyum oruva villai. Maanikka vaasagarukku than isaiyaal ponnaadai porthi azhagu paarthirukiraar..

Thamizh patru..thamizh patru endru solli kondu thiriyum ungalai pondra thamizhargal idhu varai enna seidhu vitteergal ?

Indhiya nandugal kadhai thaan nyaabagam varugiradhu..:(

raaja_rasigan
26th February 2008, 08:16 PM

RKS seems to be confused a lot. 'Vaithegi kaathirunthaal' and 'Mr.Nethaji' seems to be announced parallel as per his version :roll:

i feel that he was mentioning about "en asai machan"

irir123
26th February 2008, 08:23 PM
raja_fan: u r 100% correct! in fact many people in the US with whom I have shared TiS have actually shown inclination to know more about Indian spiritual literature! IR is actually doing great service to such literary works!

irir123
28th February 2008, 09:13 PM
digression:
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2008/feb/28sujatha.htm
big loss to TN and India -(
end digression

njv
29th February 2008, 11:43 AM
The question of choice comes only after projects approach you. In Malayalam, good people approach IR and so he naturally accepts them. Nothing choosy here !

But in tamil, if he starts to be choosy, then he will not have any tamil projects :) Because good people don't come to IR here..They will just say "My favourite is IR". Thats all.

BTW who is good ppl here. I absolutely hated all movies released in the past 2 to 3 years. Only 4 to 5 exceptions!

rajasaranam
29th February 2008, 05:06 PM
BTW who is good ppl here. I absolutely hated all movies released in the past 2 to 3 years. Only 4 to 5 exceptions!

Ameer, Bala, Mysskin, Balaji Sakthivel, Vetrimaaran, Raam, Raadhamohan, Simbuthevan, Venkat Prabhu, pushkar-Gayathri, Vasanthabalan, Gautham are few of the new wave Directors that has stormed the Tamil Cinema Field in the past few years.

r_f,

Ameer and Mysskin are teaming up with IR in future dont worry :) and some of the others are anyway with YSR Dont worry :)

raaja_rasigan
2nd March 2008, 06:24 PM
ஒரே நேரத்தில் தமிழ், தெலுங்கு, மலையாளம், கன்னடம் என 4 மொழிகளில் உருவாகும் படம் அஜந்தா. தமிழில் இந்தப் படத்தில் நடிகர் ரமணா நடிக்கிறார். நாயகியாக வந்தனாகுப்தா நடிக்கிறார்.4 மொழிகளிலும் படத்தை தயாரிக்கும் ராஜ்பாபா ரவி சங்கரே படத்தை இயக்கவும்செய்கிறார்.

படம் பற்றிக் கேட்டால், "இது காதல் கதைதான். ஆனால் காதலிக்காத காதல்கதை. காதலை இப்படி புதிய கோணத்தில் யாரும் சொன்னதில்லை என்னும் அளவுக்கு ஒரு வித்தியாசமான காதலை படத்தில் சொல்லியிருக்கிறேன்.

இந்தப் படத்தில் இளையராஜாவின் இசையில் உருவான 9 பாடல்களுமே ரசிகர்களை கதையுடன் கட்டிப்போடும். அதிலும் 10 வருடங்களுக்குப் பிறகு இளையராஜா முதன் முதலாக இந்தப்படத்தில்தான் டூயட் பாடல் பாடியிருக்கிறார்,'' என்கிறார். டூயட் பாடலுக்காக இளையராஜாவுடன் ஜோடி சேர்ந்தவர் ஸ்ரேயா கோஷல்.

http://www.dailythanthi.com/magazines/nyaru_kudumpa_Cinema.htm

njv
3rd March 2008, 02:27 AM

Ameer, Bala, Mysskin, Balaji Sakthivel, Vetrimaaran, Raam, Raadhamohan, Simbuthevan, Venkat Prabhu, pushkar-Gayathri, Vasanthabalan, Gautham are few of the new wave Directors that has stormed the Tamil Cinema Field in the past few years.

r_f,

Ameer and Mysskin are teaming up with IR in future dont worry :) and some of the others are anyway with YSR Dont worry :)

njv
3rd March 2008, 02:29 AM

In my list, I will have Bala, Cheran & may be mysskin. Rest of them are not in my list.

raja_fan
4th March 2008, 12:44 PM
r_f,
Ameer and Mysskin are teaming up with IR in future dont worry

Thanks, that would be good :)

and some of the others are anyway with YSR Dont worry

I don't care about YSR :)

krish244
4th March 2008, 11:41 PM
IR has composed a (opening) piece for "Classical Music in the Digital Age" event to be held on March 5th at Earlham college, Indiana.

http://www.earlham.edu/events/series.html

http://www.earlham.edu/publicaffairs/content/pressroom/archive/2008/february/080225s-classical.php

Also check:

http://www.pal-item.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080304/NEWS13/803040331

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
5th March 2008, 10:24 AM
IR has composed a (opening) piece for "Classical Music in the Digital Age" event to be held on March 5th at Earlham college, Indiana.

http://www.earlham.edu/events/series.html

http://www.earlham.edu/publicaffairs/content/pressroom/archive/2008/february/080225s-classical.php

Also check:

http://www.pal-item.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080304/NEWS13/803040331

thanks,

Krishnan
:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:
thalaivar kalaki irupaaru :) the performance is going to happen today, Let them get the taste of our thalai :boo:

raja_fan
5th March 2008, 11:31 AM
Yes.
Who said IR is not international ?
Paarungada, nalla paarunga :D

Hope we get the video/audio recording of this concert soon posted some where in the net !

Also friends, do we have the collection of these global websites which have mention of IR ? We need to collect them and store it some where !

raja_fan
5th March 2008, 11:49 AM
The college website says thus :

Our new international studies program in India has a strong focus on Indian music and the arts. Moreover, we frequently bring to campus performers from varied cultural backgrounds (Cameroonian, Gambian, Andean, Afro-Peruvian, Tibetan, Indonesian, Russian, Dutch, and North Indian, to name some recent ones), many of whom give workshops for students.

We host musicians of international caliber, including a performance/workshop with the Tallis Scholars (2006), a celebration of the music of George Crumb, with the composer on campus for a series of coached performances and seminars (2005), and our upcoming performance with the Ahn Trio in the spring of 2008.

Sanjeevi
5th March 2008, 12:14 PM
Good news :D

Antha piece net-la vanthathum yaravathu post pannungappa

irir123
5th March 2008, 06:29 PM
guys, am 1000 miles away from Indiana - otherwise I wud have gone for the concert even if I had known a couple of weeks earlier - anyway, am making efforts to get hold of the organiser and perhaps the recordings

Sanjeevi
5th March 2008, 09:08 PM
http://sify.com/bbhome/max_newpopup_new.php?f=IsaiIruvi_01_Clive_27feb07-128k.wmv

nanchil_guy
7th March 2008, 10:59 AM
Here is the pamaran's article on Ilayaraja, it came in Kumudam in late 90's, i guess.and i was searching this piece in old kumudam issues.luckily he started a blog and posted the same.i agree to most of his view not all as a true IR fan.

http://pamaran.wordpress.com/

MumbaiRamki
7th March 2008, 11:29 AM
Paraman makes sweeping statements and will follow the thread of dravidian leaders of generalising things based on particular leaders..

The emotional tone is nice, but i could'nt get single focus around which this was written.

raja_fan
7th March 2008, 01:12 PM
MumbaiRamki,

Yes, I wonder why these people want a artist to be perfectly suit their own wishes !
If you are an atheist, Raja should be the same..is it ??

Avar panatthai avar srirangam kovilukku koduthaal ivarukku enge valikkiradhu ?
Why should he not ask the same question to his own people who erected statues of their leaders ? If that which is inside the temple is a "nattakkal", what about these statues ? Why do these people need a "nattakkal" to assert their ideologies ? :)

Well...no, I don't want to start a religious debate here which has the potential to heat up and go ugly..

Unlike that Paamaran, let us be focusing on music alone :)

raja_fan
7th March 2008, 01:25 PM
On "Raajaangham" on Aahaa FM

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2008/03/07/stories/2008030750311400.htm

MumbaiRamki
7th March 2008, 07:37 PM
Raajagham is an ideal program- It has no gimmick, no shreeky voice and lot of useful content and information.

Bhava does a quite good job in letting the guest to speak more and just giving pointers.

Admist the Radio suchi, chinmayee and the emotional assaults of Jodi No.1 etc , this is a v v bice one !

crajkumar_be
10th March 2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8l_ezoU8Lc&NR=1
"Ilaiya Nila" (SPB singing to Chitra Sivaraman in Asianet)

Just listen to Balu from 4:10 onwards. Enough said :notworthy: (he just can't stop. Literally)

P.S: I've heard this before. They had to take about 16 takes for the lude(s)! "avan(ilaiyaan) chumma vasichittu poiduvaan.. aana andha guitarist was struggling to play it"

crajkumar_be
10th March 2008, 11:35 PM
http://indiankeyboards.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=589 - Must see

app_engine
10th March 2008, 11:48 PM
Hmmm...that link says HJ's dad was a stand-by guitarist in IR's team.

appushiva
12th March 2008, 03:14 PM
One of Raja fan met Mr. Balu Mahendra in an hotel and enquired about the music director for the forthcoming movie "Anaal Katru".

Balu's answer was "it is not mentioned in the adv but the music director is IR".

Regards,
Shiva

:)

kiru
12th March 2008, 11:40 PM
Hmmm...that link says HJ's dad was a stand-by guitarist in IR's team.
Well..reading the whole thread..the guy says, key musicians in his team left in the 90s because of 'low payment from IR and other personal reasons'...hmm..

raja_fan
13th March 2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2008/03/13/stories/2008031350760100.htm

hmm..I don't know what to say after reading this..
Symphony is not essentially WCM ! ( Idhu ennappaa pudhusaa ? )
We need a national orchestra !
Training musicians to play western notes !
Western musicians are perfect !

hmmm...This was the guy who banished manual orchestra , gave a lot of POP songs instead of WCM..now he is talking all these things like a suddenly enlightened soul ! :)

Namma aal idhu ellaathileyum seidhu kaattinaar..aanaal ondrum seiyyaamal summaa irukkiraar :(

littlemaster1982
13th March 2008, 10:25 AM
Raja_fan,

Ennadaa konja naala edhuvume sollalaiye-nnu paarthen :lol2: May I know what's your problem with this?

IR summa ukkaandhirundha adhukku ARR enna pannuvaaru :huh:

thamizhvaanan
13th March 2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2008/03/13/stories/2008031350760100.htm

hmm..I don't know what to say after reading this..
Symphony is not essentially WCM ! ( Idhu ennappaa pudhusaa ? )
We need a national orchestra !
Training musicians to play western notes !
Western musicians are perfect !

hmmm...This was the guy who banished manual orchestra , gave a lot of POP songs instead of WCM..now he is talking all these things like a suddenly enlightened soul ! :)

Namma aal idhu ellaathileyum seidhu kaattinaar..aanaal ondrum seiyyaamal summaa irukkiraar :(

Read the article properly... ARR said "there's so much perfection in the way they approach music and translate notes. It used to be there in my dad's generation but it's not there any more" He didnt just exalt western musicians, he gave credit to yesteryears indian musicians too.

ARR still works more with live musicians compared to our IR fan's chella pillai YSR (:lol2:) or any other present day MDs. It's idiotic to cry that he banished manual orchestra.

denouncing ARR's song as POP. .. :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Indha vayitherichal case'galukku nalladhu pannalum kutram, pannatiyum kutram. I'm glad he didnt appeal to your enlightened soul :lol2: . Thats his class :cool:

kameshratnam
13th March 2008, 03:19 PM
IR has given an interview in today's kumudam. The interview features university students.Read it and enjoy.

The students visit him when he is at the RR work of Dhanam

raja_fan
13th March 2008, 06:46 PM
kameshratnam,

I could not find it..Is it Kumudam or any other ?

kameshratnam
13th March 2008, 07:35 PM
Yes Sir..today's kumudam..printed version book..if u r searching it online.then i am not aware

app_engine
13th March 2008, 10:49 PM
Telegraph (Kolkota newspaper) reports on ARR's conservatory:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080313/jsp/nation/story_9014318.jsp

This part is interesting:
"This means that composers like Ilayaraja can now write music for an Indian orchestra. Ilayaraja is the first Asian to compose a symphony for the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of London."

kiru
13th March 2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Guys,
Take it easy on raja_fan. I myself remember ARR saying, he is not into symphony, but into 'world music/pop' (anbe ..anbe kollAdhe is straight out of Peter Gabriel, 'world music' father). In another instance, he mentioned, in the context of using a big orchestra, 'what is the point in using a big orchestra when you cannot get the emotion right'. He also sub-contracts some orchestral part of his songs - 'Strings arranged by Srinivasamurthy'. I think after Bombay Dreams and earning the moniker 'Mozart of Madras' he has gotten into WCM. Maybe he has already hit the limitations of POP, while other MDs are churning out new rhythms and chords using off-the shelf libraries.

Still, I cannot but admire the growth of ARR. His people skills have come in real handy. IR's people skills have hampered him from building up organizations and networks. Even TIS turned into a disaster (from a org point of view) and I dont see his dreams of building a music university coming to fruition soon.