PDA

View Full Version : IR News and Other Titbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

raagas
16th September 2008, 11:46 AM
You have 950 titles !!!!! wow !

Actually that was a mistake! I recounted yesterday and found I have exactly 1034 Titles :D Tamil movies alone is 736 titles :oops:

Sir... :roll: Take a Bow!!! i dont have an emoticon for that!

crvenky
16th September 2008, 05:03 PM
Interesting interview of Maestro:
http://eenadu.net/ncineshow.asp?qry=guest

Translation: (thanks to Kamal Aakarsh Vishnubhotla)

Intro:

"Music cannot be created..it just happens", says Ilaiyaraaja, who is probably the only composer who can compare music and a bird drawn on a computer, to explain the difference. The composer who has, for decades, enthralled the South Indian Film Music scene with his musical magic or magical music, says that he does not know what is 'Shasthram' (traditional music or probably he meant 'music of the purists') really is.

Here is the main Q&A:

Q. You are composing music for telugu films very rarely. Reason?
A. I never left Telugu films. Neither did telugu films leave me. Many film-makers have been approaching me.But things were not working out.

Q. The tastes of public is changing. In this scenario, how are you reminding people about old ilaiyaraaja.
A. Music does not have new and old. It is all the same 7 notes in music. what is new in them? or old? every tune has to be born out of them only right.

Q. You once remarked that you dont know music. Did you say that only for the sake of Modesty?
A. i really dont know. if i know it all, i would have sat at home. It is only the fact that there is still much more to music, which i want to explore and thats what i have been trying to learn. thats why i am on this 'Swara Yatra' (musical journey).

Q. How are you trying to win the hearts of this new generation?
A. Music cannot be done to please someone. A good story and strong scene conception is more than enough. Music will come by itself. Music will emerge from the feelings and emotions potrayed in the scene.

Q. The tunes of "MallePuvvu" ve been composed in 30mins. Is it really possible to compose that fast?
A. Story should motive firstly. If we get completely involved and focus on music, the tunes will come according to the scenes. Mr.Ramesh Varma told me story and asked for 5 songs. i gave him 7. that was because i was emotionally motivated by the story.

Q. So you say that music will be as per the story, anytime?
A. Thats it. Writers, directors, everyone come to me with stories. they coax me to do music. Still, at times i cannot do it. Why? Story should be motivating enough.

Q. People say that Ilaiyaraaja can make a movie stand tall (add great strength to) with his captivating background scores. How did you achieve this speciality (gift?)?
A. I dont know. The writer tell me the story in an imaginative/ emotional fashion. It will then go into the hands of another man, that is the Director. He puts in all the navarasas and makes it for everyone to understand. Take the example of "MallePuvvu" itself. it is a sensitive subject. The director Mr.Samudra has added commercial values to the story. The emotional aspects of this film could be much better delivered to the people with the usage of 'Saptaswaras' (music). The moment we perceive such a feeling (through story, film-maker's idea of projecting it etc), background music just flows.

MrJudge
16th September 2008, 06:02 PM
You have 950 titles !!!!! wow !

Actually that was a mistake! I recounted yesterday and found I have exactly 1034 Titles :D Tamil movies alone is 736 titles :oops:

Sir... :roll: Take a Bow!!! i dont have an emoticon for that!

I think I can use this emoticon :notworthy:

app_engine
16th September 2008, 07:04 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=438953&disdate=9/16/2008

According to Seeman, Vidhayasagar had supposedly made this remark :

"இசையில் 40 சதவீதத்தை கே.வி.மகாதேவனும், இன்னொரு 40 சதவீதத்தை எம்.எஸ்.விஸ்வநாதனும், 20 சதவீதத்தை இளையராஜாவும் சாதனை புரிந்து விட்டார்கள். இதில் இருந்து ஏதாவது ஒன்றைத்தான் இப்போது நாம் உருவிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறோம்"...

Sureshs65
16th September 2008, 07:33 PM
Wow RS. That is stupefying.

Given the number of albums done by Raja it is no wonder that we keep discovering new stuff regularly !!!

S.Suresh

Sanjeevi
16th September 2008, 09:40 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=438953&disdate=9/16/2008

According to Seeman, Vidhayasagar had supposedly made this remark :

"இசையில் 40 சதவீதத்தை கே.வி.மகாதேவனும், இன்னொரு 40 சதவீதத்தை எம்.எஸ்.விஸ்வநாதனும், 20 சதவீதத்தை இளையராஜாவும் சாதனை புரிந்து விட்டார்கள். இதில் இருந்து ஏதாவது ஒன்றைத்தான் இப்போது நாம் உருவிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறோம்"...

Enna Kodumai IsaiKadavulae Idhu :banghead:

Appo MKT 0% ? other languages MDs ellam enna paavam senjanga and non film musicians enna pannuvAnga

P.S: I don't mean IR as IsaiKadavul here :)

app_engine
17th September 2008, 12:13 AM
சஞ்சீவி,
பாவம் வித்யாசாகர், ஏதோ அவருக்குத்தெரிந்ததை சொல்லி இருக்கார்:-)

அவரது தாழ்மை உணர்வை மதிக்கலாம், ஆனால் 'உருவுவது' சரியா?

nanchil_guy
17th September 2008, 11:13 AM
Q. How are you trying to win the hearts of this new generation?
A. Music cannot be done to please someone. A good story and strong scene conception is more than enough. Music will come by itself. Music will emerge from the feelings and emotions potrayed in the scene.

Exactly !!! Thats why he is giving hits after hits in malayalam movies and nothing here in TFM. And i expect really good numbers for the movies like NK, Nandalaala, KP..... let's see!!

krish244
17th September 2008, 11:29 AM
[tscii:57adb6d1de]Interview with Mysskin.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India_Buzz/Direct_from_the_heart/articleshow/3490251.cms

"If six-year-old Ashwath is making his debut in Nandalala, music for the movie is by the maestro Ilayaraja. On working with the debutante-veteran duo, Mysskin says, “Ashwath Ram is so observant that he sits with me on the monitor and needs just one take for any shot. He has the potential to become a good actor and maybe a director, too. As for Ilayaraja, I’m fortunate to work with him. He’s done miracles with his six tracks. His lively music will be an important character in Nandalala.”

What is Snigdha Akolkar, the Kathazha Kannale item girl’s role in this emotional tale? “She’s the surprise package and plays a pivotal role,” is all Mysskin will say. So, can we expect peppy tracks like Vaazha Meen... and Kathazha... in Nandalala? “The story doesn’t demand that and this time around, I’m in a position to overrule it,” says Mysskin.
"

"...He’s done miracles with his six tracks..." ->> hope to get something interesting...lets see.

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:57adb6d1de]

teja
18th September 2008, 09:05 PM
Mallepuvvu - review
http://www.telugucinema.com/c/publish/featurearticles/mallepuvvu_moviereview.php

Music is surely the best highlight of the film; rerecording elevates the scenes greatly, as can be expected of Ilayaraja. Songs are shot well too, and are coupled with fitting lyrics.

app_engine
18th September 2008, 09:23 PM
Interesting to see the 'inspiration from Iranian film' part:-) Some of our hubbers have been harping about the quality of Iranian films and they would probably be interested in giving this movie a try and compare:-))

rajasaranam
19th September 2008, 01:21 PM
a_e,

Baran is an Excellent movie by Majid majidi :) hope they have indianised it well

krish244
19th September 2008, 02:05 PM
One of Roop kumar rathod's favourite composer is IR:

http://www.realbollywood.com/news/2008/09/roop-kumar-rathod-race.html

"Who are your favorite music directors today?

My favorite music directors today are Ilayaraja, Vishal Bharadwaj, Shankar Ehsan Loy and last but not the least A.R. Rahman."

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
19th September 2008, 09:07 PM
Kumudam publishes BR's answers for questions from readers. One from this week:
=================================
Q: பாரதிராஜா - இளையராஜா - வைரமுத்து இணைந்து வழங்கிய திரைப்படங்கள் இரத்தினங்களாக ஜொலித்ததன் ரகசியம் என்ன? மீண்டும் அந்த வாய்ப்பு உள்ளதா?

A: ரகசியம் என்று ஒன்றும் இல்லை. நாங்கள் அனைவருமே இந்த மண்ணின் மைந்தர்கள். அதுமட்டுமின்றி அனைவரும் அவரவர் எல்லை வரை கடுமையாக உழைத்தோம். எங்களின் அத்தனை உழைப்பும், கூலி வேலை செய்து வேர்வை சிந்தி உழைக்கும் தொழிலாளிகள் முதல் வாழ்க்கையில் உயர்ந்து நிற்கும் மாபெரும் மனிதர்கள் வரை ஊடுருவிச் சென்றது.

ஒன்றைப் புரிந்து கொள்ள வேண்டும். பரந்த பால்வீதி மண்டலத்தில் சூரியனிலிருந்து பிரிந்து சென்றவைதான் கோள்கள். ஆரம்பத்தில் ஒன்றாக இருந்தாலும் தற்போது பூமி, சந்திரன், செவ்வாய், புதன் என்று ஒவ்வொன்றும் அதனதன் பாதையில் தனித்து இயங்கிக் கொண்டிருக்கின்றன. அது போலத்தான் இதுவும். அப்படியே இயங்கட்டும், ஒன்று சேரவேண்டாம்.

=================================

kameshratnam
20th September 2008, 09:24 AM
@ Above

Nithya jaya mangalam.....

crvenky
20th September 2008, 03:23 PM
Narikkuravar song in Nandhalala:

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2008/september/200908a.asp

sureshmehcnit
21st September 2008, 11:04 AM
A Journey with Illayaraja

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2008/09/journey-with-illayaraja.html

rajasaranam
21st September 2008, 04:12 PM
Very Good Write up Suresh :) I think you have much more to explore on late seventies and eighties songs of Raaja. Your story is very similar to many including me who converted to 'Raajaism' not in his heydays but during late 90's after discovering the sheer magic and brilliance of his music.

Fliflo
21st September 2008, 05:20 PM
[tscii:364c952474]http://www.behindwoods.com/features/Interviews/interview-5/director/mysskin.html

It is said that Ilaiyaraja was mesmerized by your narration for Nandhalala…

First let me get it clear that Ilaiyaraja was never mesmerized by me. He has been in cinema for 35 years and must have seen scores of people like me, but he seemed to like me. I respect him a lot, see him as a father figure. His songs, especially from Annakili were part of my life. So, actually it was I who was mesmerized by being able to work with him. Even now I am under the spell. A great example for that is the amount of details he asked me before composing a song. I told him about the situation of five people, two persons, two children and one woman. The song is about how the four others are beginning to worship the woman, After hearing this he did not immediately go to work. He started asking me questions. What’s the woman wearing? What’s the color of the saree? Is she wearing earrings and anklets? What is the backdrop that you will provide, hills, lakes, the clear sky? Are the two children dancing? After asking for all these details he conceived the song. I don’t think there would have been any composer who asked for so many details. Also, his way of working left me spellbound. Even after 35 years in the industry he does not show any signs of being tired, he still works round the clock. I was the one mesmerized. I consider it an honor to have worked with him and to have his songs in my movie. He is a genius and I will always be humble before him. This is my relationship with Ilaiyaraja.
[/tscii:364c952474]

Fliflo
21st September 2008, 05:24 PM
In the above link, watch Myskin's interview in tamil in the sideby video link.

Sureshs65
21st September 2008, 09:46 PM
Hi Suresh,

A nice writeup. My experience with Raja's music was similar to yours but with a difference. I was a big fan(and still am) of MSV. So when Raja entered the scene, I tried to push his music behind since I did not want anyone to overtake MSV. (We do shut our ears and mind sometimes, don't we?). But Raja's music destroyed all my prejudices. Like most of the others I still keep discovering newer and newer stuff of Raja.

S.Suresh

skr
22nd September 2008, 12:39 AM

Simply Unbeleivable to hear that u have 1034 titles..i made an Excel Sheet some time back listing all his Tamil Films incl Dubbed Films and it came to about 680..Can u pls give ur list in an Excel File??..Very curious to know abt the Various Titles..We can have it as Official IR Discography..

rajasaranam
22nd September 2008, 07:13 PM
skr,

will do it soon :) enakkum sila titles mela doubt irukku :oops:

app_engine
22nd September 2008, 09:35 PM
[tscii:bc88e81bd8]Article about Jayaram (it says he can play chendai for hours together and claims to have played in Thrissur pooram)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/India_Buzz/Man__talents/articleshow/3506845.cms
From this:
===================================
Besides acting what are the things that interest him? “I am interested in everything from doing interiors to playing percussion instruments to singing. His palatial home, its interiors and rare pets stand testimony for his wide ranging interests. He has also sung in many movies. He says that he still regrets that the song which he sang with Ilayaraja in Manasinakkare was not used in the film. “Whenever I see Raja sir, I remind him that I want to sing with him,” he says
===================================
What is this song that he is talking about?
Any links?
[/tscii:bc88e81bd8]

Sureshs65
22nd September 2008, 10:49 PM
app_eng,

Interesting info.

Manasinakkare had lovely songs. Did he by any chance sing 'Chendaakoru', with IR? What is on the record is the one by Jayachandran and Sreekumar.

Will be worth listening.

raja_fan
23rd September 2008, 08:13 AM
app_engine,

It is Chendaikkoru. Jayaram mentioned that incident in IR's Dubai concert.

Vkrish
23rd September 2008, 08:40 PM
skr,

i have a comprehensive list copied from some website with Film Name, Language & Year, where the total album count stands at 1013 including dubbed ones.

But this has a compilation of titles only untill 2000 .. so adding the Delta till date, should reach anywhere about 1200+
if you require the list, may be u can share your id or send me pm.

crvenky
25th September 2008, 02:35 PM
Another IR-VR gossip:

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2008/september/250908a.asp

skr
28th September 2008, 11:22 PM
@Vkrish
Pls send the list to this id skrajiv@gmail.com
I will also send my Tamil List ASAP

@Rajasaranam
Waiting eagerly for ur list also..really curious to know the no. of films IR has composed..

raagas
30th September 2008, 07:34 PM
I am already thirsty for next release of IR. which of these could be the one?

1. Pazhassi Raja
2. Nandhalala
3. SRK

I am curious about all the three.

Vkrish
30th September 2008, 09:08 PM
@Vkrish
Pls send the list to this id skrajiv@gmail.com
I will also send my Tamil List ASAP

@Rajasaranam
Waiting eagerly for ur list also..really curious to know the no. of films IR has composed..

Hi skr, it's sent :D

raagas
1st October 2008, 05:41 PM
I was writing a comment in another thread and my thoughts ended up as observations which i think i can post here too.

There seems to be some jinx in the case of IR and hindi films. There has never been a single out & Out good hindi film, made by a non-southie with North Indian music sensibilities.
Either the films that came his way were like that or his choice of films.
Ilaiyaraaja is still remembered in Hindi industry, but hardly for any films..say:

1. Sadma... but director(Balu Mahendra) is South Indian and his equation with ilaiyaraaja is such that they can even make a film even in bulgarian language.

2. Shiva(1990).. Ram Gopal Varma.. Well, actually, the songs in Hindi version didnt click, somehow the tunes didnt suit Hindi.

3. Shiva (2006)..Songs are good..but director is Southie..Varma again.

4. Hey Ram: Kamal Haasan there.

5. Cheeni Kum: we know..Balki is a southie and a big fan of IR.also, the songs were rehashes (although good).

Now, films which were made by Hindi film-makers:

1. Mahadev... a typical 80s masala film of Vinod Khanna. my faith in ilaiyaraaja's 'Singer Selection' crashed completely when he took Mohd.Aziz in this film, for one song. For those who dont know, Mohd.Aziz was one of the 100s of Mohd.Rafi clones who cropped up in 80s, after Rafi's demise. All these 100s of singers (Mohd.Aziz,Shabbir Kumar etc) didnt have melody in their voice. They only had dense voices and yelled away those horrendous songs. i still cannot understand how IR took him.

2. Kamagni... why would ilaiyaraaja choose to score music for an Adult film? i dont even know how the film is..but i know that it was a damn squib.

So, with all this background..what can we look forward to, from IR in "SRK" and "Chal Chale"? The speculation is on...

I think IR needs good hindi film-makers such as Vidhu Vinod Chopra or Ashutosh gowariker or Sudhir Mishra or Farhan Akhtar etc, who have a taste for good music. ofcourse each of these have struck a successful chord with their respective favourites..but the..just a thought.

K
2nd October 2008, 12:39 PM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/02/stories/2008100261521200.htm

another musical venture like thiruvasagam?

MumbaiRamki
2nd October 2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/02/stories/2008100261521200.htm

another musical venture like thiruvasagam?

Innoru thiruvasagam ? But let it be owned by corporates or by raaja . NO Father/Pusari/ Tamizh aarvalar/politican pls !!!! And no public money pls !

jaiganes
2nd October 2008, 08:01 PM
why not? MR
controversies apart - Thiruvasagam had the best quality in terms of sound as well as innovation and emotion. I think if songs of aazhwaars deserve anything it is the grand - yet emotional music by our raaja. And for that If I have to pay, I will gladly do it and not complain if there is minor grouse in the project.

jaiganes
2nd October 2008, 08:03 PM
and already he has scored the 'vaaranam aayiram' for Keladi kanmani. even if he leaves out the symphonic stuff- if it is done tastefully like that it is worth a shot public money or not. I feel such projects need to have public money - 'Ooor koodi yaen thaerai izhukkanum?' so that oor can koodify - some sort of unity among our fractured caste divided society.

app_engine
3rd October 2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.hindu.com/cp/2008/10/03/stories/2008100350080300.htm

Raja singing for Silambarasan...that too a duet...enna comedy'ppA idhu?

MrJudge
3rd October 2008, 11:18 PM
http://www.hindu.com/cp/2008/10/03/stories/2008100350080300.htm

Raja singing for Silambarasan...that too a duet...enna comedy'ppA idhu?

Why comedy?? because it is for a simbu film? Seriously IR's numbers for Yuvan have always been good.

Sanjeevi
4th October 2008, 10:50 PM
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJvz02MNzs
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=S5fgAsvx1Ro
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=i_AmXX5I_EM&feature=related

svbp007
6th October 2008, 01:46 AM
http://www.filefactory.com/file/1cbc66/n/My_Dear_Kuttichathaan_rar

rajasaranam
6th October 2008, 07:32 PM
I think IR needs good hindi film-makers such as Vidhu Vinod Chopra or Ashutosh gowariker or Sudhir Mishra or Farhan Akhtar etc, who have a taste for good music. ofcourse each of these have struck a successful chord with their respective favourites..but the..just a thought.

Interesting Observation there! but all of us tend to forget 'Lajja' with its extravagant background score and haunting song composed by Raaja, directed by a sensible (hey to an extent) North Indian Director 'Rajkumar Santhoshi'. i still dont understand how come Raaja accepted for this project for which 'Anu malik' has composed the songs :huh:

Well this movie popped up, when i was uploading all my hindi movie collections scored by Raaja due to a friends request. Download them from here :)
Raaja's Hindi Songs (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=92d0c5a58eae7e5dab1eab3e9fa335ca9c3eee21 6d128e71)

viraajan
6th October 2008, 07:37 PM
"Yaarum Thodatha ondrai" song was telecast on Raj Musix somedays ago.

Oh. God. Pathetic... Spoilt a wnoderful melody...

Andha Cameraman en kaila kedaichan... :hammer: than...

Choreography at its worst... Poor quality camera... Couldn't see Hero/Heroine's face clearly even in one shot...

Was shocked to see this beautiful song wasted :banghead:

app_engine
6th October 2008, 11:44 PM
[tscii:a5580fa80a]பா.ராகவன் ('மாயவலை' போன்ற தொடர்கள் குமுதம் ரிப்போர்ட்டரில் எழுதியவர்) தன் ப்ளாக்'இல்:

பிருகாக்கள் சாத்தியமில்லாத வாத்தியக் கருவிகளை மட்டுமே சேர்த்து ஓர் இசைக்கோவை உண்டாக்கும்போது, அதை முணுமுணுக்கச் செய்வதற்கென்றே சில குறிப்பிட்ட ராகங்களின் சாயலை நமது இசையமைப்பாளர்கள் கொண்டுவருவார்கள். பிலஹரி [ஸ்டிராபெரி கண்ணே], ரீதிகௌளை [அழகான ராட்சசியே - இதில் கேட்கும் கடம் சத்தம், உண்மையில் கடத்திலிருந்து கொண்டுவரப்பட்டதல்ல.], கேதாரம் [என்னவளே], ஹம்ஸநாதம் [பூவாசம் புறப்படும் பெண்ணே] என்று சில ராகங்கள் இந்தக் காரணத்துக்காகவே பெரிதும் பயன்படுத்தப்பட்டு வந்திருக்கின்றன. எனக்குத் தெரிந்து இளையராஜா மட்டுமே ராகத்தை, ராகத்துக்காகவே பயன்படுத்தும் ஒரே இசையமைப்பாளர். ஒட்டு வேலைகளுக்கு ராகத்தைச் சிதைக்காதவர். அவரது நாட்டுப் பாடல்களைக் கூர்ந்து கவனித்தால் அதில் ராக சாயல் என்று ஏதும் வெளிப்படையாக எங்கேயும் தெரியாது. [சிந்து பைரவி படத்தில் மட்டும் காட்சியின் தேவை கருதி ‘நானொரு சிந்து’ பாடல் சிந்துபைரவி ராகத்தின் சாயலைப் பூசிக்கொண்டு வரும். அதே போல் உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பியில் சுத்த தன்யாசி சற்றே வெளிப்படையாகத் தென்படுகிற ‘உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி தம்பி’. அதுவும் காட்சியின் தேவை கருதி.] அதற்கான அவசியத்தை அவர் உருவாக்குவதில்லை என்பதுதான் விஷயம். அந்தந்த இசைக்கு ஏற்ற கருவிகளைப் பயன்படுத்தும்போது இம்மாதிரியான ஒட்டு வேலைகள் அவசியமற்றதாகின்றன.

லிங்க்:
http://www.writerpara.net/archives/238

[/tscii:a5580fa80a]

raagas
8th October 2008, 01:00 PM
Interesting Observation there! but all of us tend to forget 'Lajja' with its extravagant background score and haunting song composed by Raaja, directed by a sensible (hey to an extent) North Indian Director 'Rajkumar Santhoshi'. i still dont understand how come Raaja accepted for this project for which 'Anu malik' has composed the songs :huh:

Well this movie popped up, when i was uploading all my hindi movie collections scored by Raaja due to a friends request. Download them from here :)
Raaja's Hindi Songs (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=92d0c5a58eae7e5dab1eab3e9fa335ca9c3eee21 6d128e71)

i do count Rajkumar santoshi also as one of the better directors there but offlate, his movies and taste for good music has gone down. I liked the soundtrack of "The Legend of Bhagat Singh" anyways.

And Raajasaranam: I or rather We cant thank you enough for sharing your invaluable collection with us. For these Hindi ones, Thanks a tonn

crvenky
8th October 2008, 05:00 PM
See the re-recording session of Karthik Raja for Achamundu Achamundu. Sounds very IR'ish. Eager to watch the movie.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/16302.html

Vysar
10th October 2008, 07:55 PM
IRs own brother breaks the secret

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2008/october/101008b.asp

jaiganes
10th October 2008, 08:42 PM
nothing new!

app_engine
10th October 2008, 08:44 PM
From this week's arasu badhilkaL:

எம்.எஸ்.வி, இளையராஜா, ரஹ்மான் - மூன்று சகாப்தங்களில் உங்களை அதிகம் கவர்ந்தது?
எம்.எஸ்.வி ஸ்டீரியோவை மறுத்து மோனோ இசையில் கம்பீரமான முழக்கத்தைத் தந்த சாதனையாளர்.. ராஜா நாட்டார் இசையை மேற்கத்திய இசையோடு இணைத்த மாமேதை. ரஹ்மான் டெக்னோ இசையின் நுட்பத்தை ஆழ்ந்து அனுபவிக்கச் செய்யும் இசைச் சிற்பி. மூவருமே தமிழிசையில் சாதித்தவர்கள் என்பது எத்தனை பெருமை. இந்த முக்கனிகளுமே என் பிரமிப்புக்குரியவர்கள்தான்.

http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-10-15/pg15.php

app_engine
10th October 2008, 10:32 PM
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/10/10/stories/2008101050630400.htm

This article is about Jency's come-back (recording a song for Mahendran's son with Deva's son as MD) but there is this info about how & why her prior come-back attempt with IR could not take off.

irir123
10th October 2008, 10:42 PM

Its very similar to Ganguly dada shamelessly dumping his own teammates when an important series (Australia) has just begun! or perhaps like Sanjay Manjrekar calling Sachin Tendulkar a 'white elephant' as a commentator - this is in fact much worser than that

Gangai Amaran should learn a couple of things like humility, and public relations before uttering in public, whatever perversions that come to his mind

except for a few albums, what has been his contribution ? best to ignore him

venkiks
11th October 2008, 12:10 AM

Could it be Ilamai Idho Idho or Mari Mari Ninne or what? May be Pon Vaanam Panneer Thoovudhu or Thaazham Poove Vasam veesu?
Adi aathadi, Poongaathu virumbuma, Chittan Chittan Kurivi, Kaaliyil thondrum, Raakamma Kaya thattu... Come on GA be specific.

Gangai Amaran knows much more music that I do. I think Raaja composed them for me and not for GA. I like them all.

I am not hurt at all. I think even IR would agree to what GA says. But why does most if not all GA songs sound like a Raaja song?

Why am I responding to GA's claim? Just want to know why he wants to be in the news now!

-Venki

ananth222
11th October 2008, 01:03 AM
These people always say things in poorly worded sentences that lead to all kinds of interpretation. It is best to not interpret it literally.

Let us not simply interpret it as "copying tunes" - I think what he meant was about emulating MSV's approach to music for situations. IR has himself said repeatedly that he is "no pioneer" - that he is simply continuing what was done by KVM, MSV et. al. And I believe that the MDs today are simply continuing what IR has done. To conclude that it merely means copying tunes is not correct.

raagas
11th October 2008, 01:28 AM
i am clueless..can anyone translate the key portions of that gangai amaran interview. i dont even understand the current discussion and the context.

app_engine
11th October 2008, 01:40 AM
simple - raagas,
GA claims that he & IR have "stolen" a lot from MSV. This statement he has made in a MSV album release function.

He also claims IR was quite a 'killAdi':-)

Now people are trying to interpret these profound verses and get meaning for their lives:-)

app_engine
11th October 2008, 01:44 AM
Earlier SPB supposedly said all the later composers are having MSV's "echchil" only. Now this GA acknowledging that they all "stole".

The obvious target is IR. As usual, he is going to ignore any such inflammatory statements. And it's healthier for us to do the same as well.

raja_fan
11th October 2008, 11:39 AM
GA is an extremely immature personality.
In the past 10 years, he has always been fuming about IR, but yet trying to sound like a honest guy.

Years back, he claimed that he tried pleading Rajni to give chance to IR for Arunachalam. Whether it was true or not, everybody knows..:)

Regd this "Echil" concept, it was IR who first declared in a function (in presence of ARR and MSV ) that "We ( IR and Rahman ) are just doing our work based on the echil of MSV and TKR. So nothing new to it , whatever SPB or GA tells now :)

app_engine
11th October 2008, 05:24 PM
r_f,

There is a difference in IR telling & SPB telling.

ஐயா, நீங்க போட்ட உப்புல தான் என் குடும்பம் வாழுது (humility)

is way different from

டேய், ஓங்குடும்பம் சார் போட்ட பிச்சையில தாண்டா பொழைக்கறீங்க (humiliating)

raja_fan
11th October 2008, 09:01 PM
a_e,

I agree. What I meant is, since IR has already acknowledged that fact, SPB cannot humiliate IR by these words.

raagas
12th October 2008, 10:40 PM
simple - raagas,
GA claims that he & IR have "stolen" a lot from MSV. This statement he has made in a MSV album release function.

He also claims IR was quite a 'killAdi':-)

Now people are trying to interpret these profound verses and get meaning for their lives:-)

well...from what i seem to understand...the statement doesnt seem to be a direct attack..but a more diplomatic one.. we dont know if he really meant it..or was probably meaning that IR/GA were 'influenced' or 'inspired' by MSV. its all abt choice of words.. we cannot comprehend if they use diplomatic words like copy or inspired.

Now khilladi is a generic word. It depends on the usage. it is a neutral word actually. if used in sarcastic tone, it sounds negative..if used in positive tone..it is a praise. so how do we interpret.

So the best we can do is ignore such comments.

But if the original tamil article contains words/text wich mean direct attack on IR..then what can we say...we are fans..we dont know even know if it is true or false..it shouldnt matter too.. all that matters to us is "did IR give good music or not..with some honesty and integrity".. The answer is YES and we dont need any GA certification for that..there ends the matter.

ananth222
13th October 2008, 01:50 AM
well...from what i seem to understand...the statement doesnt seem to be a direct attack..but a more diplomatic one.. we dont know if he really meant it..or was probably meaning that IR/GA were 'influenced' or 'inspired' by MSV. its all abt choice of words.. we cannot comprehend if they use diplomatic words like copy or inspired.
exactly. To reproduce the exact words GA used, he said "MSV is our own wealth. We have the right to steal from him. We run our business only by stealing from him. 100s of songs of IR were stolen from MSV only. IR is very smart when it comes to this."

It is like when you are visiting your uncle, and he says "you are my son!" - you cannot take it literally, and even figuratively it makes little sense. Basically, the uncle was an idiot. So was GA.

rajasaranam
13th October 2008, 10:23 AM
The below link contains the information abt the company 'indiatales' promoting 'Manikantan'. Surprised to find most of them are northies :|

http://www.hotteststartups.in/viewandvote.do?method=fetch&businessFn=viewandvote&startupId=522

kameshratnam
13th October 2008, 07:14 PM
GA has claimed a lot of things.

1. Devar Magan story was his
2. IR composing TIS is not great but it is great to be a human..i have read this in one of his interviews to a tamil weekly

SPB too has no business to use the word echil...There have been so many greats in tamil music and why has not anyone even dared to compose a symphony...

This is the greatest achievement..RPO...learning something foreign when there are lesser people to teach u and achieving it..

But When will he release it..thats the question

Shankar
13th October 2008, 09:58 PM
Ga vai pOi serious aa eduthu reNdu DF page waste paNNreengaLeppA !

avan payyan ennada nA Raja thAn greatest ngaran, indha sumban vayireriyarAn. indha kAdhula vAngittu andha kAdhu vazhiya vida thakka pEchu thAn GA pEchellAm.

app_engine
13th October 2008, 10:03 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=444030&disdate=10/13/2008

Is IR the MD for 'Adum kooththu'?

I read somewhere that Zee has rights for NK as well. EdhAvadhu thERumA?

kameshratnam
14th October 2008, 08:12 AM
IR is the MD of the film and film was telecast in zee tv on sunday at 5 pm

kameshratnam
14th October 2008, 08:14 AM
Also u can watch Nan Kadavul and Subramaniapuram only on zee tamil

thumburu
14th October 2008, 01:50 PM
GA and IR brothers are like chalk and cheese. While one is ever tight lipped , the other one
suffers from chronic verbal diarrhea . It is not new that GA has been giving out damaging
statements in the garb of casual loose talks and IR's stance of "mouna vratham" towards
media is just not helping him either.
With new found success of his sons, his pet past time is now becoming a full time job for
GA . GA was comfortably riding piggybk on IR's shoulders with his mediocre lyrics until
Vairamuthu had to oust him and he had to resort to direction. Nobody ever cares about
movies like "kozhi koovudhu", "kokkarako" etc but for the lilting music and songs provided
by IR and GA better be thankful for that. Nobody is a fool here to lap up whatever claims he makes , without being specific

licvskumar
14th October 2008, 06:41 PM
Adum Koothu music composed by our IR swamigal. I saw the movie heavy BGM score movie, our IR swamigal utilised and back bone of the movie. No songs in movie.

itsmuls
15th October 2008, 12:41 PM
[tscii:ea3f25f12c]Raja's New Movie : Kalaignar

Director Shakthi G will wield the megaphone for a biopic based on the life of Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi. The film, aptly titled Kalaignar, will start rolling from the first week of November. Shakthi said that he thoroughly researched the life of the CM for about two years before deciding to film it. Ilayaraja will score the music for this film and has taken even the minute detail into consideration for the background score. Shakthi added that Illayaraja had elaborate discussions with him in this regard.

As the movie is based on the CM’s life since his birth to the present, the director has roped in seven male leads for the different phases of his life. All the actors in the film are new faces.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/oct-08-03/kalaignar-14-10-08.html[/tscii:ea3f25f12c]

raja_fan
15th October 2008, 03:50 PM
L.R.Eswari saying "Koti namaskarams to Ilaiyaraja".
Before 31 years, she was the one who said "ivanellaam oru MD. indha pattikkaattaanukkellaam naan paadanumaa ?"

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=kvlVLuKV6lE&feature=related

MrJudge
15th October 2008, 03:55 PM
Adum kooththu - isn't that cheran movie telecasted on zee? It was done by some keralite and not by IR. I saw the title card and don't remember his name now.

raja_fan
15th October 2008, 04:05 PM
[tscii:ff6e7c540d]

Raja's New Movie : Kalaignar

Director Shakthi G will wield the megaphone for a biopic based on the life of Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi. The film, aptly titled Kalaignar, will start rolling from the first week of November. Shakthi said that he thoroughly researched the life of the CM for about two years before deciding to film it. Ilayaraja will score the music for this film and has taken even the minute detail into consideration for the background score. Shakthi added that Illayaraja had elaborate discussions with him in this regard.

Poor Raja !
Inime ippadiththaan pola...Kalaignar, apparam Azhagiri, apparam Stalin..
Ada kadavule.......

[/tscii:ff6e7c540d]

Sanjeevi
15th October 2008, 05:23 PM
yeah, nAmathan thevai illamal IR-ku future projects recommend pannikittu irukkom :sigh2:

baroque
15th October 2008, 08:33 PM
Why poor Raaja?

They are his choices, he agrees to do, he is getting paid for it.

He can always say NO.
No one put a gun to his head & ask him to compose.

Neenga romba aluththukireenga!

Raaja is making some people happy.. the followers of Karunanidhi. GOOD FOR THEM.

Now I am in great spirit listening to JODI NATHIGAL....Enchanting Raaja orchestration, Lover boy's loving vocal, good lyrics.
Forever in love with good old Shri.Ilayaraaja!
want to join me raja_fan! :)

vinatha. :)

raja_fan
16th October 2008, 09:06 AM
baroque,

Ok, I admit my mistake. It should have been "Poor Raja fans !" :D

itsmuls
16th October 2008, 09:43 AM
Shankar's assistant floors the maestro!

This seems to be the season of assistant directors from prestigious stables to make their independent entry into the world of films. The latest to join this bandwagon is Ananthanarayanan who had his training under Shankar. His maiden directorial film Valmiki starring Kalloori Akhil, Meera Nandan and Shruthi is almost ready. Ilayaraja scores music for Valmiki. The interesting factor about this film is that Raja scoring music after he witnessed the rough draft of the film before editing.

It has been said that Raja chose six specific locations in the film where the songs can be interspersed and then composed music. Vaali pens the lyrics for this film and Raja himself has rendered his voice for two numbers. Recording for the rest of the songs is slated to happen in a couple of days. This sort of music composition has precedence in Aranmanaikili and Naatupura Paatu wherein the songs were a runaway hit during those times.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/oct-08-03/shankar-15-10-08.html

baroque
16th October 2008, 10:02 AM
raja_fan :)

My friend, We Raaja fans never be POOR! :thumbsup:
He has enriched our lives with zillion songs like JODI NATHIGAL...
:musicsmile: :swinghead: I need many more lives to enjoy listening them all. I am forever stuck at VELLI NILAVINILEY.....Sonnadhu Needhaana.....enchanting Jayachandran solo.... Year 1977....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/TPplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR3398%27

Heavenly composition. :ty: :ty: :ty: Raaja!

Trust me, I have so much to cover... I do it in my own pace. :bluejump: :redjump:
Good night,
vinatha.

kameshratnam
16th October 2008, 05:16 PM
L.R.Eswari saying "Koti namaskarams to Ilaiyaraja".
Before 31 years, she was the one who said "ivanellaam oru MD. indha pattikkaattaanukkellaam naan paadanumaa ?"

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=kvlVLuKV6lE&feature=related

Thats a lesson for a life...never under estimate anyone and is there any reason why IR didnt use TMS and LR E very much?

raja_fan
16th October 2008, 08:22 PM
IR did not use LRE at all. Reason you already know now.

TMS also could not give up his ego to follow a new MD's strict recording sessions. So IR-TMS had to part after some beautiful hits together.

Only P.Suseela ( though she had that old ego for some time ) could adjust to IR and continued working with him.

app_engine
16th October 2008, 08:28 PM
Digression -

Only P.Suseela ( though she had that old ego for some time ) could adjust to IR and continued working with him.

PS sang right from IR's first movie ('sondhamiilai bandhamillai vAdudhu oru paRavai'), where is the question of "old ego"?

Sanjeevi
16th October 2008, 09:41 PM
Digression -

PS sang right from IR's first movie ('sondhamiilai bandhamillai vAdudhu oru paRavai'), where is the question of "old ego"?

I read somewhere , there was a clash between IR & Suseela even before Annakili days. It started when IR was working under G.K.Venkatesh, he complained to GKV that P.Suseela didn't sung properly or like something and P.S was upset like crying.

baroque
16th October 2008, 11:17 PM
I honestly don't care about these wars. Who cares about IR vs LRE or IR vs Gangai amaran... BORING! :) people go away.. :)
People I have my own needs....
LRE has sung some of the outstanding compositions to Shri.MSV, V.Kumar etc..
They let her improvise... heavenly..... remember kallellam maanikka...humming for Saro... LRE is haunting. Her JAZZ compositions are forever fresh & addictive. some of them are my favorites...
Now people excuse,
I drown my self in
Varavendum oru pozhudhu...PIANO, CLAPS,TRUMPET... elongated Improvised LRE, unmatchable ludes..CLASSICAL PROWESS RULES!
Decades ++ I am addicted to that song. :ty: LRE & MSV.

kaadhodudhaan naan paaduven
manadhodudhaan naan pesuven
vizhiyodudhaan vilaiyaaduven un
madimeedhudhaan kan mooduven .....

EMOTIVE SINGING! SOOTHING MUSICAL! :ty:

Where do I begin with MULLIL ROJA with ONE & ONLY P.B.Sreenivos.

I bet Ilayaraja will be enjoying these compositions as much as I love. :) :musicsmile:

You guys make sure to treat your senses with the aesthetic musicals... :)

Vinatha

app_engine
17th October 2008, 12:23 AM
I read somewhere , there was a clash between IR & Suseela even before Annakili days. It started when IR was working under G.K.Venkatesh, he complained to GKV that P.Suseela didn't sung properly or like something and P.S was upset like crying.

I don't remember reading anything negative about PS at all (except her difficulty in spoken Tamil) and definitely nothing as IR v/s PS. This may be another baseless story.

In any case, she sang right from his first film and there was not even any gossip about her ego on regular mags since then.

rajasaranam
17th October 2008, 10:22 AM
IR did not use LRE at all.

Once he used LRE in Nallathoru Kudumbam for the song 'One and Two Cha cha cha' :| Listening to this song i always feel amused thinking abour Shivaji 'Shakin' his body for this excellent dance no. :D

raagas
17th October 2008, 06:03 PM
IR did not use LRE at all.

Once he used LRE in Nallathoru Kudumbam for the song 'One and Two Cha cha cha' :| Listening to this song i always feel amused thinking abour Shivaji 'Shakin' his body for this excellent dance no. :D

RS, there was a "One-Two-Cha-Cha-Cha" composed by R.D.Burman for film "Shalimar", which i think is the inspiration (not copy) for this Cha-Cha-Cha by IR.

raja_fan
20th October 2008, 07:11 PM
Director Sreedhar passed away today .

IR has worked with Sreedhar in

Azhage unnai aaraadhikkaren,
Ilamai oonjalaadugiradhu,
Thendrale ennai thodu,
Ninaivellaam nithya, etc etc !

Our condolences :(

app_engine
20th October 2008, 09:23 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-10-22/pg13.php

Quotes Sujatha's 'கற்றதும், பெற்றதும்' where he talks about RK, IR & ARR

raagas
20th October 2008, 11:45 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-10-22/pg13.php

Quotes Sujatha's 'கற்றதும், பெற்றதும்' where he talks about RK, IR & ARR

Could someone please translate into English?

app_engine
21st October 2008, 01:52 AM
The text in Kumudam article goes like this:
========
யோசித்துப் பார்க்கிறேன். அதேபோல் `காயத்ரி' படம் முடிந்து இளம் இளையராஜாவுடன் ப்ளாசா தியேட்டர் அருகில், ஒரு ஓட்டலில் சாப்பிட்டபோது இருபத்தைந்து ஆண்டுகளுக்குப் பின் இவர் திருவாசகத்தை சிம்ஃபொனி வடிவுக்கு உயர்த்தி உலகை வியக்க வைக்கப்போகிறார் என்பதும் தெரிந்திருக்கிறது.
========
(This is an excerpt from some old article of Sujatha where he writes about his association with RK, IR & ARR when they were upcoming)

Rough translation of the portion about IR:
"After we completed the movie gAyathri, ate with IR in a restaurant near plaza theater. Little did I realize then that the man with me will stun the world in 25 years by giving the symphony decoration to ThiruvAsagam"

Some interesting things about 'gAyathri' - it was a Sujatha story that appeared in some Tamil mag, had RK as hero and was singer Sujatha's debut (kAlaippaniyil, kAdhal Oviyum kaNdEn). There's a VJ song - 'vAzhvE mAyamA'..or was it BSS? can't remember...

Sureshs65
21st October 2008, 10:03 AM
It was BSS.

S.Suresh

krish244
21st October 2008, 04:08 PM
[tscii:60fdace6c3]"6). The first ever compliment I ever got in my life as a Director from an outsider was when Ilayaraja was doing the background score for Shiva in Mumbai due to some strike in Chennai, a violin player walked up to me and said, “The film is fantastic”. His name was Ismail Durbar and he went on to later do music for Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and Devdas."

Did Ismail Durbar played violin for IR (for the
old movie Shiva)? or was ID just watching. Could be any!

http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14781441

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:60fdace6c3]

app_engine
21st October 2008, 08:26 PM
rs PM'ed me pointing out possible incorrectness in my translation of the Kumudam part.

So, a clarification :

I think the way in which the article reproduces the original may create this confusion. Possibly there are some typo's by them as well. That's why I translated what I understood as to Sujatha's intent, while also reproducing the Kumudam stuff as such.

(Obviously, Sujatha didn't know at that time that one day IR will do TbI which he also says at the end of that article, like "என்பதும் ஒளிந்திருக்கிறது. அவை அந்த நேரங்களில் தெரியவில்லை. அவ்வளவுதான்.'')

So, I'm sure what Sujatha meant is something like "see, I've spent casual moments with these people much before they became so popular...People in whom so much of talent was latent - but not so clearly visible at that time, that's all"

app_engine
21st October 2008, 08:30 PM
Obviously, there could have been other things in that original article by Sujatha, which I've not read. If someone finds it somewhere, please post. It could be even talking about pre-destination, fate, butterfly effect , this and that. In which case, the words 'தெரிந்திருக்கிறது, ஒளிந்திருக்கிறது" etc will have a totally different meaning.

raagas
22nd October 2008, 12:03 AM
[tscii:d3c62b537c]
Did Ismail Durbar played violin for IR (for the
old movie Shiva)? or was ID just watching. Could be any!

http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14781441

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:d3c62b537c]

Ismail Darbar did play violin for IR. The BGM of Shiva (old) was recorded in Bombay, as far as i can remember. Now i know for sure that whenever IR recorded in Bombay (btw, he recorded quite many there), He used to employ the orchestra of R.D.Burman. And it is a commonly known fact that Ismail Darbar was a violinist in RD's orchestra and later went to play for even Jatin-Lalit too. So, i think Ismail Darbar did play for IR, as claimed by RamGopal Varma.

kameshratnam
22nd October 2008, 08:59 AM
IR AND KAMAL together @ Director Sridhar's Funeral

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/sri_pass201008/410401.html

rajasaranam
22nd October 2008, 10:39 AM
IR AND KAMAL together @ Director Sridhar's Funeral

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/sri_pass201008/410401.html

Athu enna Naera Paarthu Paesamaa Vaera engayo paakrathu 'Guilt'uuu?!! :P

raja_fan
22nd October 2008, 01:52 PM
RS,

It is just a snap while they are moving. Not a Posed photograph. So don't read too much in that :)

app_engine
24th October 2008, 08:53 PM
ok, an IR movie (though namesake) for festival of lights this year:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/cp/index.htm

Ajanta...

app_engine
27th October 2008, 08:28 PM
IR :
எனக்குள் தோன்றிய பாடல்களை எழுதினேனே தவிர, இதன் மூலம் சமுதாயத்திற்கு கருத்து சொல்வது என் நோக்கமில்லை. என்னிடத்தில் உள்ள குறைகளை சரி செய்து கொள்வதில்தான் வாழ்நாளை செலவிட்டுக் கொண்டிருக்கிறேன்

http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-10-29/pg20.php

app_engine
27th October 2008, 09:49 PM
[tscii:7b9e9c6e5c]Bharadwaj Rangan -

One of Ilayaraja’s most successful soundtracks, Karagattakaran, was released in the late eighties, and the song that I almost always glossed over was the one sung by the maestro himself, Paattaale buthi sonnaar. It’s as smoothly constructed a composition as any of his, but given that he was singing it (like he did so many songs of the era), I’d forward quickly to Maanguyile poonguyile or (my personal favourite) Indha maan. But a few months ago, I was walking to the post office listening to this album and this song came on, and I literally stopped in my tracks. Perhaps it’s the fact that Ilayaraja is no longer in favour and this lends a special poignancy to the lyrics that talk of appeasing numerous fans through his songs (as long as they want him to), or perhaps it’s that he no longer sings the title song of every goddamn movie and therefore that fatigue factor is no longer there and we’re free to listen to just the moving music — but my eyes misted up that instant, and as if an eclipse had cleared, I saw for the first time the luminous beauty of the song. And — talk about time — it only took me twenty years.

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=Music+musings&artid=cI2WnM8InbY=&SectionID=ngGbWGz5Z14=&MainSectionID=ngGbWGz5Z14=&SectionName=pLyKHNhe4lKKa/XKjQRUVw==&SEO=

[/tscii:7b9e9c6e5c]

irir123
28th October 2008, 06:53 AM
[tscii:6782bb3e96]Breaking news!!

Vegan Radio would be featuring Ilaiyaraaja’s music coming Thursday the 30th of October, 2008., at 7pm Eastern time.

That should be around 6.30AM on the 31st of October, 2008, in INDIA

Ilaiyaraaja’s music will be streaming live at www.valleyfreeradio.org and the podcast will be available in a couple days after that at www.veganradio.com.[/tscii:6782bb3e96]

app_engine
28th October 2008, 11:54 PM
some ceremonial award to IR by AP Govt:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Hyderabad/Govt_to_give_away_NTR_national_awards/articleshow/3647942.cms

krish244
29th October 2008, 12:26 PM
IR is part of a "Hampi Utsav".

"This year's Hampi Utsav extravaganza will feature nationally renowned artists like Illayaraja, Pankaj Udhas, Kishori Amonkar, Sonu Nigam, Vasundhara Das and Asha Bhonsle besides troupes from Sri Lanka, Tanzania and other countries."

http://indiatoday.digitaltoday.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18818&sectionid=22&issueid=77&Itemid=1

thanks,

Krishnan

jaiganes
29th October 2008, 07:43 PM
Some discussion going on here too...

http://passionforcinema.com/ilayaraja-and-maniratnam-ii/

app_engine
31st October 2008, 07:56 PM
From "Lights On" in Kumudam this week:

இளையராஜாவும், கே.ஜே.யேசுதாஸும் கருத்து வேறுபாட்டில் ஒருத்தரோடு ஒருத்தர் பேசிக்கொள்ளாமல் இருந்தார்கள். சமீபத்தில் ஒரு இயக்குநர் இவர்கள் இருவரையும் ஒன்று சேர்த்து வைத்திருக்கிறார். அந்த இயக்குநர் இயக்கும் படத்தில் இளையராஜா இசையமைக்க ஒரு பாடலைப் பாடியிருக்கிறார் யேசுதாஸ். அந்த இயக்குநர் மிஷ்கின். படம் நந்தலாலா. (அப்படியே வைரமுத்துவையும் யாராவது ராசி பண்ணிடுங்கப்பா!)

kameshratnam
3rd November 2008, 06:31 PM

இளையராஜாவும், கே.ஜே.யேசுதாஸும் கருத்து வேறுபாட்டில் ஒருத்தரோடு ஒருத்தர் பேசிக்கொள்ளாமல் இருந்தார்கள். சமீபத்தில் ஒரு இயக்குநர் இவர்கள் இருவரையும் ஒன்று சேர்த்து வைத்திருக்கிறார். அந்த இயக்குநர் இயக்கும் படத்தில் இளையராஜா இசையமைக்க ஒரு பாடலைப் பாடியிருக்கிறார் யேசுதாஸ். அந்த இயக்குநர் மிஷ்கின். படம் நந்தலாலா. (அப்படியே வைரமுத்துவையும் யாராவது ராசி பண்ணிடுங்கப்பா!)

RS has heard this song and as per his information, the song is going to rock

rajasaranam
4th November 2008, 12:37 PM

I really dont know whether the song is going to rock or not. But its a simple 80's style 'melancholic' melody like 'kanne kalaimaane'.
There are 2 schools of thought regarding Raaja's music now. If he composes in the 80's style then People say 'he has to grow out of his 80's style' If he composes in his new found style then people complain that 'its not like his 80's song'. :huh:
I go by 'Enakku Pidichirukku' Standard! in that sense the song is definitely a rocker :)

pure bliss
4th November 2008, 12:47 PM

I really dont know whether the song is going to rock or not. But its a simple 80's style 'melancholic' melody like 'kanne kalaimaane'.
There are 2 schools of thought regarding Raaja's music now. If he composes in the 80's style then People say 'he has to grow out of his 80's style' If he composes in his new found style then people complain that 'its not like his 80's song'. :huh:
I go by 'Enakku Pidichirukku' Standard! in that sense the song is definitely a rocker :)

RS,
ARR fans mathiri polambaringa!

crvenky
4th November 2008, 01:01 PM
Music enthusiast & critique Shaji has written about Maestro here:

http://musicshaji.blogspot.com/2008/11/blog-post.html

teja
4th November 2008, 01:13 PM
Director Vamsy is remaking his own film "Sitaara". Maestro is going to compose the music yet again.
http://thatstelugu.oneindia.in/movies/spotnews/2008/11/touch-of-new-trend-to-vamsi-sitara-041108.html

HonestRaj
4th November 2008, 08:28 PM

Innum yar yarudan sandai poattu vechurukkaru :(

irir123
4th November 2008, 09:58 PM

That list IMO, is very long!

Ippadiye, yaaraavadhu, IR aiyum, Mani Rathnam, Rajini, Balachander ivargaludan inaithhaal, appuram namakkellaam kondaattam thaan!

but I doubt if it would all happen

rajasaranam
4th November 2008, 10:07 PM
Interview of a debut director directing a movie titles 'Pugaippadam'

கங்கை அமரனை மறுபடியும் இசையமைக்க அழைத்து வந்திருக்கிறீர்களே?

`` ஒரு காலத்தில் கேட்கக் கேட்க திகட்டாத மெலோடி பாடல்களை தமிழ் ரசிகர்களுக்குக் கொடுத்த நல்ல இசையமைப்பாளர். திடீர் என்று இசையமைக்கும் பொறுப்பிலிருந்து விலகி இருந்தார். டைரக்டர் லெனின் மூலமாக பேசினேன். முதலில் மறுத்தார். `கதையைக் கேட்டுவிட்டு பண்ணுவதா வேண்டாமான்னு சொல்லுங்க' என்று சொன்னேன். ஒரு மணி நேரம் கேட்டார். பிறகு, `நிச்சயம் நான் பண்றேன். ரீ என்ட்ரிக்கு எனக்கு ஒரு நல்ல படம் கிடைச்சிருக்கு' என்றார். மெலோடி ஸ்டைலில் ஆறு பாடல்களையும் போட்டுக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார். அத்தனையும் பிரமாதம்'' என்று சொல்லி அடித்தார் ராஜேஷ்லிங்கம்..

இசை அண்னனோட என்பதுகள் பாதிப்பா இல்லை...புதுசா ஏதாவது செய்கிறாரா?!!

jaiganes
5th November 2008, 03:46 AM
why rajasaranam - in between he composed for the 'malar pola malargindra' song on pondicherry annai. that was a good one.

K
5th November 2008, 08:14 AM
why rajasaranam - in between he composed for the 'malar pola malargindra' song on pondicherry annai. that was a good one.

Sing "Naan malarodu yen ingu thaniyaga vanthen"(Some jaishanker movie) and the Mother Song of Gangai amaran you can find similarities in pallavi.

kameshratnam
5th November 2008, 09:20 AM

Ippadiye, yaaraavadhu, IR aiyum, Mani Rathnam, Rajini, Balachander ivargaludan inaithhaal, appuram namakkellaam kondaattam thaan!

IR and the fight list include

Vairamuthu
K Balachandar
Maniratnam
Poet Piraisudan

Oh my god...Time and again i am forgetting one fact... :( ..sorry to all...IR is a musical genius...there ends all....

rajasaranam
5th November 2008, 02:02 PM

Iam not contending his capability as a good composer. Its just that Iam curious whether he had composed in the 'Raaja'ish style which ruled the roost in the 80's from which many of us have not got out of the hangover :) or is it like Raaja of 2000's he will too change the style of composing to sound more modern?!!

MrJudge
5th November 2008, 10:30 PM
In this year's AV deepAvaLi malar, director Sasikumar (Subramaniapuram) has said that he is a big IR fan and his dream is to work with IR for at least one film in his career.

konjam nallA padam edukkuRavunga ellOrum IR music-la oru padamAvathu paNNanumnu nenaikkiRAnga :D

raja_fan
6th November 2008, 08:37 AM
In this year's AV deepAvaLi malar, director Sasikumar (Subramaniapuram) has said that he is a big IR fan and his dream is to work with IR for at least one film in his career.

konjam nallA padam edukkuRavunga ellOrum IR music-la oru padamAvathu paNNanumnu nenaikkiRAnga

Why not he approach IR ? Will IR reject him ? I don't think so , if he is given a good script !

thumburu
6th November 2008, 04:07 PM

How much ever insipid the movie is, or inane the director is, I expect nice songs from Raja. For that , Raja should unite with SPB without delay , whose golden voice is intact and he alone can carry Raja's songs to people

app_engine
6th November 2008, 10:23 PM
From the TF section - next Kamal directed movie, 'thalaivan irukkiRAn' won't have IR. (ARR is signed up. Looks like Kamal's marmayOgi is shelved after all the media hype due to lack of money and both Kamal & ARR are upset about it)

So Kamal is definitely distancing himself from IR's composing, and will mostly opt for the current hot MD in all future projects.

kameshratnam
7th November 2008, 11:16 AM
Ponjolai to return back

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2008/11/06-venkat-prabhus-1st-film-to-be-released-after-13-yrs.html

MrJudge
7th November 2008, 12:52 PM
Why not he approach IR ? Will IR reject him ? I don't think so , if he is given a good script !

konjam bayam irukkunnu nenaikkiREn.

kameshratnam
7th November 2008, 02:27 PM
Ramesh prabha had this interview with director hari today in kalaignar tv and hari asked as to why he didnt work with IR?

hari said if we need to work with IR and then script should be a good one and it shd have a lot of scope for him since IR's RR is also a major factor...

Looks like these top directors have still this in mind..Some of the IR Fans who have not worked with him are
1. Vikraman - la lala director
2. Gautam Vasudeva Menon
3. Hari
4. Sashi Kumar

raagas
9th November 2008, 09:47 PM
hari said if we need to work with IR and then script should be a good one and it shd have a lot of scope for him since IR's RR is also a major factor...

I agree about RR (background score), but that comes after a film is accepted and is shot. What i dont understand firstly, is this myth about 'Good Script'. With due respects to IR's work, would we call all the films he worked to be having good scripts? Personally, i think he worked in more 'bad scripts' rather in good ones, although he adorned them with some beautiful music. Ofcourse, there are some great scripts too. but i am talking about solely numbers. The not-so-good scripts to which IR composed, outweight the good ones (my opinion). and when i say script, i mean script and not the treatment given to it.
There are some really wonderful scripts or films which IR turned down and they went on to become good films, with music by different composers(who gave good music too). I dont understand on what rationale IR says Yes or No.

NormalMan
10th November 2008, 03:05 AM
There are some really wonderful scripts or films which IR turned down and they went on to become good films, with music by different composers(who gave good music too).

Just curious. Which ones were these?

raagas
10th November 2008, 04:29 AM
There are some really wonderful scripts or films which IR turned down and they went on to become good films, with music by different composers(who gave good music too).

Just curious. Which ones were these?

Iruvar for instance.the film might be a commercial debacle but it is a brilliant film, considered as Maniratnam's best (even i think so, looking at the direction). Since ARR had no prior experience of working on period films, Maniratnam was skeptical and tried to play safe. he approached IR (they have their own example, Nayakan).ut IR rejected it. sad. ofcourse, must admit, ARR did wonderful work in that film, including background score. But i still think what IR could have done, had he scored for that film.

rajasaranam
12th November 2008, 04:07 PM
Ilaiyaraaja Rocks Again in Kannada (http://entertainment.in.msn.com/southcinema/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1696262)

Ilaiyaraja is rocking Kannada filmdom once again. The 'Isaignani' is composing music for a number of films now, including Sunil Kumar Desai's 'Sa ri ga ma', Chandru's 'Prem Kahaani', Saiprakash's 'Baagyaada Balegaara' and Srinivasaraju's 'Nannavanu'.

It is not very often that the maestro comes to Bangalore. Though many of his compositions in Kannada have been super-hits, he has not been a regular here. His melodies in films such as 'Nee Nanna Gellalaare', 'Geetha', 'Pallavi Anupallavi', 'Janmajanmada Anubhanda', 'Nammoora Mandaara Hoove', 'Shivasainya', 'Namma Preethiya Ramu' and 'Hoomale' were highly appreciated by the Kannada audience.

His last hit was 'Aa Dinagalu', a film starring Chetan and Archana in lead roles. After that it was Srinivasa Raju who first contacted him for 'Nannavanu'. And then, directors started approaching Ilaiyaraja one after the other.

After the success story in Malayalam movies its good to note that Kannada filmdom is embracing our Raaja. His last 2 movies (Namma Preethiya Ramu & Aa Dinagalu) + songs in Kannada were huge hits. Let him be where he gets better recognition rather than composing for tamil & telugu audiences who have written him off completely and made him a commercialy unviable composer of these day :(

kameshratnam
13th November 2008, 10:30 AM
I infer all echo rights have been sold off to some other company.. is this true? can anyone confirm?

Tamilan
13th November 2008, 10:44 AM
I infer all echo rights have been sold off to some other company.. is this true? can anyone confirm?

ithu nallathu, vera yaaravathu vangi nalla panna vendum intha gems ellam :)

app_engine
14th November 2008, 12:15 AM
Writer Pa.Raghavan in his blog :

7.தமிழ் சினிமா இசை?
இளையராஜாவில் ஆரம்பித்து இளையராஜாவில் முடிகிறது. இது என் தனிப்பட்ட அபிப்பிராயம் மட்டுமே. நான் கண்மூடித்தனமான ரசிகன் இல்லை. யாருக்குமே இல்லை. ஆனாலும் திரை இசையில் இளையராஜா செய்திருப்பதன் அருகே கூட வேறு யாரும் இங்கே வரவில்லை என்று நினைக்கிறேன். இதனை ஒற்றை வரி ஸ்டேட்மெண்டாக அல்லாமல் உட்கார்ந்து விவாதித்து என் தரப்பை நிரூபிக்கவும் என்னால் இயலும்.

http://www.writerpara.net/archives/245

Tamilan
14th November 2008, 12:21 AM
Payangaramana bold statement

nanchil_guy
14th November 2008, 11:10 AM
Ilaiyaraaja Rocks Again in Kannada (http://entertainment.in.msn.com/southcinema/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1696262)

Ilaiyaraja is rocking Kannada filmdom once again. The 'Isaignani' is composing music for a number of films now, including Sunil Kumar Desai's 'Sa ri ga ma', Chandru's 'Prem Kahaani', Saiprakash's 'Baagyaada Balegaara' and Srinivasaraju's 'Nannavanu'.

It is not very often that the maestro comes to Bangalore. Though many of his compositions in Kannada have been super-hits, he has not been a regular here. His melodies in films such as 'Nee Nanna Gellalaare', 'Geetha', 'Pallavi Anupallavi', 'Janmajanmada Anubhanda', 'Nammoora Mandaara Hoove', 'Shivasainya', 'Namma Preethiya Ramu' and 'Hoomale' were highly appreciated by the Kannada audience.

His last hit was 'Aa Dinagalu', a film starring Chetan and Archana in lead roles. After that it was Srinivasa Raju who first contacted him for 'Nannavanu'. And then, directors started approaching Ilaiyaraja one after the other.

After the success story in Malayalam movies its good to note that Kannada filmdom is embracing our Raaja. His last 2 movies (Namma Preethiya Ramu & Aa Dinagalu) + songs in Kannada were huge hits. Let him be where he gets better recognition rather than composing for tamil & telugu audiences who have written him off completely and made him a commercialy unviable composer of these day :(

Exactly, and also IR gives his best where it deserves!!

rajasaranam
14th November 2008, 12:13 PM
Writer Pa.Raghavan in his blog :

7.தமிழ் சினிமா இசை?
இளையராஜாவில் ஆரம்பித்து இளையராஜாவில் முடிகிறது. இது என் தனிப்பட்ட அபிப்பிராயம் மட்டுமே. நான் கண்மூடித்தனமான ரசிகன் இல்லை. யாருக்குமே இல்லை. ஆனாலும் திரை இசையில் இளையராஜா செய்திருப்பதன் அருகே கூட வேறு யாரும் இங்கே வரவில்லை என்று நினைக்கிறேன். இதனை ஒற்றை வரி ஸ்டேட்மெண்டாக அல்லாமல் உட்கார்ந்து விவாதித்து என் தரப்பை நிரூபிக்கவும் என்னால் இயலும்.

http://www.writerpara.net/archives/245

மிக முக்கியமான செய்தி என்னவென்றால் 'விவாதித்து என் தரப்பை நிரூபிக்கவும் என்னால் இயலும்' என்று கூறியிருப்பதுதான். நான் மிக பல வருடங்களாய் நன்பர்கள் மத்தியில் கூறி வருவது " நேர்மையாகவும், தங்கள் விருப்பு வெறுப்புகளுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டும், அறிவியல்ரீதியாக தர்க்கம் செய்தால்! எவரிடமும் இளையராஜா இந்தியாவின் (சற்று அதிக நேரம் எடுத்து கொன்டால் உலகின் :)) ஆகச்சிறந்த திரை இசை அமைப்பாளர் என்பதை நிருபித்து விட முடியும்"

பாரா'வின் இடுகையிலிருந்து எஸ்.ரா.'வின் பக்கத்துக்கு சென்றால் அங்கேயும் இதே போல் ஒர் செய்தி ;)

எனியோ மோரிகோனுக்கு நிகராக தமிழ் சினிமாவில் சாதனைகள் செய்திருப்பவர் இசைஞானி இளையராஜா. அவர் இசையமைப்பு செய்த பல முக்கிய படங்களின் பிண்ணனி இசைக்கோர்வைகள் தனித்த இசைத்தட்டுகளாக வெளிவர வேண்டும் என்பது எனது நீண்ட நாள் ஆசை.

http://www.sramakrishnan.com/nenaivil_esai.asp
ஒரு சில நாட்களுக்கு முன் இதை ஒட்டிய கருத்தை (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1598027&highlight=#1598027) நான் வேறொரு திரியில் கூறியது நினைவில் இருக்கலாம்.

nanchil_guy
15th November 2008, 04:48 PM
IR's italy concert and mumbai express review (not full) by sea of tranquility group which usually reviews metal and progressive genres.

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4824

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=3351

irir123
15th November 2008, 10:36 PM
nanchil_guy: thats old! it was all posted long time back! thanks

Renault
15th November 2008, 10:58 PM
Watched Vaaranam Aaiyram today. Countless references to Maestro:

1. Surya says certain period of his life were ROCKING like an Ilayaraja Song

2. Yen Iniya Pon Nilave was used as the love proposal song

3. Surya says "refreshing like an IR BGM" in one instance.

Gautham's small ode to the Maestro... let's see if he can join with Maestro in his next movie.. now that Harris is out.

raagas
16th November 2008, 10:16 PM
Watched Vaaranam Aaiyram today. Countless references to Maestro:

1. Surya says certain period of his life were ROCKING like an Ilayaraja Song

2. Yen Iniya Pon Nilave was used as the love proposal song

3. Surya says "refreshing like an IR BGM" in one instance.

Gautham's small ode to the Maestro... let's see if he can join with Maestro in his next movie.. now that Harris is out.

one more instance: Surya sings "Pani Vizhum Malar Vanam" in one scene, with guitar.

And the dialogue abt describing his 'being love with heroine' is like Ilaiyaraaja Background score... I think that beats all... awesome compliment.

That apart, i dont know if Gautham Menon would approach IR. It is evident that he likes IR music and thats natural bcoz he might have grew up listening to IR songs. But will he opt for IR? we dont know. Good if he does. lets see.

kameshratnam
17th November 2008, 10:16 AM
IR attended yesterday's nandi award function and received the award from the chief minister of andhra pradesh...

This is good news...I am seeing a change in IR..usually he doesnt attend these functions but now he has started to

Hope he releases RPO soon

raja_fan
17th November 2008, 11:42 AM
let's see if he can join with Maestro in his next movie.. now that Harris is out.

Why ? what happened..any tussle between Gautam and Harris ?

Inspite of being a IR fanatic, I would want Gautam to continue with Harris, because Harris is really doing great work and I don't think IR with his present style can come near that appeal that Harris is creating now !. This may be a rash remark, but this is true.

And regd recent tributes to IR in many films.., We have not seen another MD who has received such a respect !

1. Subramanyapuram.
2. Another film ( Saroja ?) which had "Aayiram thaamarai.." song in BG.
3. Parthiban's comments in Ammuvaagiya Naan.
4. Now Gautam's tribute.

Excellent !

raagas
17th November 2008, 12:54 PM
let's see if he can join with Maestro in his next movie.. now that Harris is out.

Why ? what happened..any tussle between Gautam and Harris ?

Excellent !

I read that Gautham and Harris decided not to work together hereafter, for certain reasons. anyways, any further discussion about this pair would be deviating from the purpose of this thread. That said, i think that IR can do well with Gautham, because Gautham has a keen-ear for music.If at all, they collaborate, it would be unfair to compare, but then it is interesting to see how the collaboration works.

raja_fan
17th November 2008, 01:02 PM
Raagas,

If what you have read is true, I see a strong possibility of Gautam approaching IR.
Because of his obsession over IR and also when asked if he would approach IR he once said he did not approach due to fear and also because he would not change MD as long as HJ is there to work with.

MumbaiRamki
17th November 2008, 01:17 PM
raja_fan,
ARR already booked or his next film with Mahesh babu !

raja_fan
17th November 2008, 01:26 PM
[tscii:e40c9322aa]
http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2008/06/05/interview-gautam-vasudev-menon/

"Then there was this sequence where Surya, who’s a guitarist, sees this girl and these songs come into his head. He thinks he’s playing unplugged, jamming with the likes of Eric Clapton and Ilayaraja and other guitar gods. But we couldn’t find look-alikes, so we dropped the idea. But there were moments like this…"

"When Surya sees the girl on a train, for the first time, he can’t take his eyes off her – and he’s somebody who’s never looked at a girl like that – and the first song that comes to his mind is En iniya pon nilaave. So he pulls out his guitar and sings that song for her"

[/tscii:e40c9322aa]

krish244
17th November 2008, 11:20 PM
IR receiving NTR award:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/43070.html

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
18th November 2008, 05:03 AM
இளையராஜா = கருவாயன் (பாரதிராஜா சொன்னதாக வைரமுத்து)

http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=450941&disdate=11/17/2008

app_engine
18th November 2008, 06:43 AM
ஏதாவது சொல்லி இளையராஜா - பாரதிராஜா இடையில் சிண்டு முடிவது வைரமுத்துவின் நீண்ட காலத்தொழில் என்பதற்கு இந்தக்கருவாயன் ஒரு உதாரணம்!

kameshratnam
18th November 2008, 09:58 AM
App_eng / RR

Can we start a signature thread and give it to IR to release his RPO..i guess high time we do this..i am sure if fans want it ..ir will do it..this is purely from the change which i am seeing in him these days.
Can we give it a try?

raagas
18th November 2008, 11:40 AM
App_eng / RR

Can we start a signature thread and give it to IR to release his RPO..i guess high time we do this..i am sure if fans want it ..ir will do it..this is purely from the change which i am seeing in him these days.
Can we give it a try?

Kamesh, the idea is good..but i doubt if something like this will work online. or rather, will it be viewed as authentic enough, when it is online.

How about implementing it this way: probably if all fans meet up in selected cities, like a big gathering..with even the Press invited there. and then if people sign a letter, an open letter to IR..and if it is passed on to other cities where similar gathering is organised..then it might atleast get into news...now once it gets into News, it is almost like the message reaching IR.
he point is..how can we conduct/organize such a gathering. It needs lot of support, assurance from fans and planning. It requires bringing various fan clubs, from forums,orkut,facebook,yahoogroups etc under one umbrella.. U know..this should be a large scale one. only then we can grab media attention.and thats the only way of conveying our message to him.

kameshratnam
18th November 2008, 12:35 PM
App_eng / RR

Can we give it a try?

Kamesh, the idea is good..but i doubt if something like this will work online. or rather, will it be viewed as authentic enough, when it is online.

How about implementing it this way: probably if all fans meet up in selected cities, like a big gathering..with even the Press invited there. and then if people sign a letter, an open letter to IR..and if it is passed on to other cities where similar gathering is organised..then it might atleast get into news...now once it gets into News, it is almost like the message reaching IR.
he point is..how can we conduct/organize such a gathering. It needs lot of support, assurance from fans and planning. It requires bringing various fan clubs, from forums,orkut,facebook,yahoogroups etc under one umbrella.. U know..this should be a large scale one. only then we can grab media attention.and thats the only way of conveying our message to him.

RPO is the one which has got to get released now and i am sure we fans should be able to release it..

One of the main reasons which has been compelling me to do this is because of the recognition which is due to IR from the whole world..
The first asian to compose a symphony and i am sure this has to be done in a grand style

njv
18th November 2008, 05:18 PM
இளையராஜா = கருவாயன் (பாரதிராஜா சொன்னதாக வைரமுத்து)

http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=450941&disdate=11/17/2008

Hmmm.... In VM's baani

Karuvaayan
Karu Vaayan
Karu - Karuththu, Artham, Arivu

Avan paechil arivum, arthamum, karuththum IRukkum enbathaal karuvaayan.

K
19th November 2008, 09:41 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2008/11/18-ilayaraja-taught-me-venba-in-2-hrs-vaali.html#cmntTop

Vaali and Raaja

teja
20th November 2008, 08:42 AM
Maestro Ilayaraja's interview (in telugu)
Check out the comment at ~04:45.
"my connection with the film, story etc drives me to compose for a film.. Director is not the driving factor".
Says he absolutely adores SPB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tThBFfHHp3M

rajasaranam
20th November 2008, 11:53 AM
teja,

thanks for the link :)

Sureshs65
20th November 2008, 10:20 PM
What I fully agree with him is about the singers of today being lazy. They all may sound wonderful when Rahman or YSR or Harris does thesound magic but when I watch hear them live on some shows it is shocking. I have seen and heard quite a few young and popular singers sing in some Jaya TV show dedicated to them and most of the time you are wondering how they are so famous !! The only thing they seem to know how to do is to put on a false accent and to sing 'stylishly' I guess recording techniques of today gives them the luxury to sing out of pitch. A pity.

One girl whose singing stuck me as wonderful, especially wrt to her sruthi adherence, was a girl called Roopa, who is supposed to have won the Amirta Global singer award. Excellent singing, especially liked the way she sang 'Gangai Karai Mannanadi'. Watched it YouTube.

S.Suresh

app_engine
20th November 2008, 10:24 PM
Tidbits on Kamal

http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=451392&disdate=11/20/2008

இதிலிருந்து ஒன்று :
வீட்டில் இருக்கும்போது எலெக்ட்ரானிக் இசைக்கருவியில், விதவிதமான டியூன்களை உருவாக்குவார். அதை டேப்பில் பதிவு செய்து, இளையராஜாவிடம் போட்டுக்காட்டுவார்.

raja_fan
20th November 2008, 10:46 PM
Maestro Ilayaraja's interview (in telugu)
Check out the comment at ~04:45.
"my connection with the film, story etc drives me to compose for a film.. Director is not the driving factor".
Says he absolutely adores SPB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tThBFfHHp3M

He still mentions Mani Ratnam !
This shows he does not carry any ill feelings against MR !

nanchil_guy
21st November 2008, 10:34 AM
IR has always maintained that he enjoyed working with people like KB, MR, BM, Mahendran and BR. You can see this in his books and the recent daily thanthi series on his life.

Most of the splits happened due the difference in opinions not coz of ego, so no problem there like whats goin on in tfm world now a days.

SVN
23rd November 2008, 01:42 AM
Suresh,
Many thanks for introducing the singer Roopa. She is a real talent to emerge from Kerala. I was playing one song after another from the talent hunt programme on Youtube. Be it her rendition of Ilanjolai Poothathaa, Singaara Velane Deva Kaatril Endhan Geetam or Kesariya Baalma... she was amazing. What a 'bhaavam' and swara sutham as well as lyrical clarity (no Malayalam accent at all)!!! She is a welcome change to the Tamil music industry.

raagas
23rd November 2008, 12:57 PM
Heard that Manikantan Geet Mala is released. Did anyone listen? Whats the take?

rajasaranam
23rd November 2008, 06:33 PM

'velaikkuaavala' atleast for me:( I want Raaja to stop composing for such stale devotional albums and venture into more of pure instrumentals :|

raagas
24th November 2008, 03:27 AM

'velaikkuaavala' atleast for me:( I want Raaja to stop composing for such stale devotional albums and venture into more of pure instrumentals :|

You said it right...Even i want him to churn out Instrumental albums. But then, his devotional albums could have ocassional glimmers. probably a carnatic number or something like that. I didnt get a chance to visit music store to buy Manikantan Geet Mala. Will do so soon. Meanwhile, i am curious to listen to it online anywhere. Didnt find it anywhere though.

raja_fan
24th November 2008, 09:16 AM
I notice that IR's old devotional "Geethanjali" had not been recorded in a good manner. The instrument sounds suddenly becomes loud and then fades etc. Any one else felt the same ?
I think the sound engineer had messed up the recording and even IR did not care ! :(

rajasaranam
24th November 2008, 10:59 AM
raagas,

The accompanying audio 'Mandir Sabari' Bhajan made my day :) This was definitely a not much ventured territory for Raaja and I liked this 8 minute long composition. Thalaivar Hindusthani'la pinni pedaledukraar :notworthy:

PS: Why didnt you order for the CD? I have reservations towards uploading Independent Albums like this!!!

Sureshs65
24th November 2008, 01:50 PM
RS,

Now I understand why no 'download' option. Your stand is fine. Guess I should have ordered online. Bought Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam versions as each has different singers.

S.Suresh

raagas
24th November 2008, 05:30 PM
raagas,

The accompanying audio 'Mandir Sabari' Bhajan made my day :) This was definitely a not much ventured territory for Raaja and I liked this 8 minute long composition. Thalaivar Hindusthani'la pinni pedaledukraar :notworthy:

PS: Why didnt you order for the CD? I have reservations towards uploading Independent Albums like this!!!

Sorry RS, i dont understand Tamil. :D

I didnt pre-order because not all song samples pleased me. I thought i will buy a single audio cd when released in the market. I didnt know that there would be an extra song in Collector's edition. And yes, you are completely right in having reservations about uploading independent albums, that too when they are just released. They need support of audience.

But to think of it, i at times dont understand the pricing policies of audio companies. I mean this cd is priced at Rs.499. Most cds, especially devitional album ones are priced between Rs.99 to Rs.200.But this one priced that high. agreed, thhat there is a bonus song and Ir autograph..but still, i felt the price is a bit high for the content. I mean, think of it..Even Thiruvasakam was priced lower than this one and it was a brilliant album.

Sureshs65
24th November 2008, 07:46 PM
The CD is priced at Rs.99/- What was in the web site was probably for CDs in all four languages plus the bonus CD. That is why it must have been Rs.499/-. Anyway no harm done. You can purchase it in stores now, in language of your choice :)

S.Suresh

raagas
25th November 2008, 12:51 AM
The CD is priced at Rs.99/- What was in the web site was probably for CDs in all four languages plus the bonus CD. That is why it must have been Rs.499/-. Anyway no harm done. You can purchase it in stores now, in language of your choice :)

S.Suresh

whoa....is it...i thought the cd is priced at 499 and had apprehensions. Thanks for this info...will grab it soon

rajasaranam
25th November 2008, 10:45 AM

S.Suresh

whoa....is it...i thought the cd is priced at 499 and had apprehensions. Thanks for this info...will grab it soon

the collectors Edition had 12 sheets of mural art works/ a 2009 diary / the Bonus CD. It was for only tamil.
Had we ordered all 4 languages it was priced @ 4999/- which will contain all the above + a coffee table book on 'Manikantan' + tickets for the concert to be held introducing manikantan + A chance to meet Raaja thro a lucky draw coupon available + Raaja's own signature on specialized CD marked with a unique No.

I went for the 499/- Edition :) thinking will buy other languages in market!

ajaybaskar
26th November 2008, 10:43 AM
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=K8GYsLLx0ps

rajasaranam
27th November 2008, 11:32 AM
[tscii:eeea846372]http://entertainment.oneindia.in/kannada/top-stories/2008/shivraj-bhagyada-balegara-211108.html

Director Saiprakash is directing the movie Bhagyada Balegara, which features Kannada superstar Shivraj Kumar in bangle vendor's get up. After dealing with love between brother and sister, now the director is going to deal with Bangle vendor's love story.

Ajay Kumar has written story and screenplay. He tries to create another face of the love in the movie. Shivraj Kumar is playing bangle vendor. Villagers' love towards the bangle vendor is the base of the movie. Shivanna says that the movie has all comedy, fight and romance.

Nanda Loves Nandita fame Ramesh Kashyap is producing the movie. He says that Bhagyada Balegar is a movie that depicts the culture. During marriages, people wear bangles, which is sign of a prosperity. This bangle vendor brings prosperity to everyone and in turn what he will get is the subject of the movie.

Maestro Ilayaraja will compose music of seven songs in the movie. Actress Priyamani was supposed to play the lead lady role, but she is busy with Mani Ratnam's movie. Director is looking for another heroine.

http://telugu.galatta.com/entertainment/telugu/livewire/id/Oh_My_God_launching_Nov_23_19934.html

The internationally acclaimed Yoga Guru Kamal is making his debut as hero in Oh My God directed by Giridhar Gopal and produced by Sethu Madhavan under White Lotus Films and Entertainments banner. The film is all set to be launched on November 23 in Hyderabad.

Director Giridhar Gopal said, “The film, steeped in Telugu traditions, will unfold a series of incidents that occur in 48 hours.” Sarath Babu and Ali have important roles in the film.

Dialogues are by Balabhadrapatruni Ramani, camera is by Vasu, music is by Ilayaraja, special effects are by Dayton Taylor (Geneva), action is by Li Chi Git (Hong Kong, screenplay is by Ayyappa P. Sarma and story and direction are by Giridhar Gopal.
[/tscii:eeea846372]

kalnayak
29th November 2008, 10:47 AM
Link:
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2008/11/28-mgr-in-animation-movie-puratchi-thalaivan.html
'இனிமே நாங்கதான் வி4' என்ற அனிமேஷன் படத்தை உருவாக்கி வெற்றி கண்ட மாயபிம்பம் மீடியா நிறுவனத்தால், மறைந்த எம்.ஜி.ஆரை நாயகனாக வைத்து புதிய அனிமேஷன் படம் ஒன்றை உருவாக்கவுள்ளனர். படத்திற்குப் பெயர் 'புரட்சித் தலைவன்'.

முதலாவது தமிழ் 3டி அனிமேஷன் படம் என்ற பெருமையைப் பெற்றது 'இனிமே நாங்கதான்'. இப்படத்திற்கு இசைஞானி இளையராஜா இசையமைக்க, வாலி பாடல்களைப் புனைய, பி.லெனின், சிவசங்கர் உள்ளிட்டோர் பங்களிக்க ரூ. 4 கோடியில் பிரமாண்டமாக உருவாகி, வெளியாகி பெரும் வெற்றியையும், பாராட்டையும் பெற்றது இனிமே நாங்கதான்.

கடந்த ஆண்டு செப்டம்பர் மாதம் வெளியான இப்படம் அனிமேஷன் ரசிகர்களிடையே நல்ல வரவேற்பையும் பெற்றது.

இந் நிலையில் எம்.ஜி.ஆரை நாயகனாக வைத்து புரட்சித் தலைவன் என்ற பெயரில் புதிய அனிமேஷன் படத்தை உருவாக்கவுள்ளது மாயபிம்பம்.

விஜய், அஜீத் காலம் இது என்றாலும் கூட அவர்களையும் தாண்டி எம்.ஜி.ஆருக்கென்று ஒரு மாஸ் இன்னும் இருக்கத்தான் செய்கிறது. அதை நிரூபிக்கும் வகையில் இந்த புரட்சித் தலைவன் படத்தை உருவாக்கப் போகிறது மாயபிம்பம்.

மதுரையை மீட்ட சுந்தர பாண்டியன்தான், எம்.ஜி.ஆர். நடித்த கடைசிப் படம். அதன் பின்னர் அவர் 'நடித்து' வெளியாகப் போகும் படம் இந்த புரட்சித் தலைவன்தான்.

எம்.ஜி.ஆருக்கே உரிய மேனரசிங்க், ஸ்டைல்களை அப்படியே இந்த அனிமேஷன் படத்திலும் கொண்டு வரப் போகிறார்களாம். இக்காலத்து ரசிகர்களும் ரசிக்கும் வகையில் இந்த அனிமேஷன் எம்.ஜி.ஆர். அசத்தலாக, அதே தேஜஸ், கெட்டப்புடன் இருப்பாராம்.

வெங்கி பாபு இந்த அனிமேஷன் படத்தை இயக்குகிறார். மாயபிம்பம் மீடியா நிறுவனத்திற்காக ஸ்ரீதேவி ராவ் இப்படத்தை தயாரிக்கவுள்ளார்.

இப்படத்தின் டிரெய்லர் ஜனவரி 17ம் தேதி, எம்.ஜி.ஆர். பிறந்த நாளன்று வெளியாகவுள்ளது.

சரி நாயகி யார்?

சரோஜாதேவி? ஜெயலலிதா? லதா? திரிஷா? நயனதாரா? ஷ்ரியா?

படம் வரும் வரை கெஸ் பண்ணுவோமே, காசா, பணமா?

baroque
29th November 2008, 01:05 PM
Music music music, WHO IS THE MD? :musicsmile: :swinghead:

I crave for that aesthetic solo violin with Susheelas's humming lude now. :bluejump: :redjump:
செம்மாங்கனி புன்னகை நல்லோவியம் செவ்விதழ்
தேன் மாதுளை பொன்மொழி சொல்லோவியம்
செம்மாங்கனி புன்னகை நல்லோவியம் செவ்விதழ்
தேன் மாதுளை பொன்மொழி சொல்லோவியம்
சிந்து நடை போடும் பாற்குடம்
சின்ன விழிப் பார்வை பூச்சரம்
என்ன மேனியோ இன்னும் பாடவோ
தமிழ் தேடவோ ... :) :swinghead: :ty: Shri.MSV. AESTHETICS OF YOUR PASSIONATE HEART! :ty:

Sureshs65
2nd December 2008, 09:13 AM
Yesterday night there was a 'Sirappu Thenkinnam' in Jaya TV hosted by a singer called 'Ananthu'. He had played two IR songs. One was 'Chinna Kannan Azhaikiran'. I didn't hear the comments he had about the song. The other song he played was from 'Aval Appadithan'. "Vazhkai Odam Sella". He said that Illayaraja has tuned this wonderfully in 'Panthuvarali' and had introduced many changes in the charanam. This is the first time I was hearing this song. I heard other songs from this film earlier. A lovely song well sung by S.Janaki as usual. As he had pointed out, there seem to have lot of experimentation done with the raga in the charanam. (Was also nice watching Sridevi in B&W in "Chinna Kannan Azhaikiran" :)

S.Suresh

K
4th December 2008, 10:18 PM
http://cenimafun.blogspot.com/2008/12/blog-post_04.html some good news about naan kadavul

raagas
5th December 2008, 02:39 AM
http://in.movies.yahoo.com/news-detail/10675/Rajas-Amitabh-Abhishek.html

Pa starting soon...with fresh tunes.

kalnayak
12th December 2008, 11:13 AM
"எல்லாமே இளையராஜாதான் !" - விஜய் ஆண்டணி
"எல்லாமே இளையராஜாதான் !" - "நாகக மூக்க" விஜய் ஆண்டணி

"யுவன், ஜி.வி.பிரகாஷ், நீங்கன்னு எல்லாருமே இசை இளைஞர்களாக ஆக்கிரமிச்சுட்டீங்க. அவங்களைப் பற்றி உங்க அபிப்பிராயம் என்ன?"

"எனக்குத் தெரிஞ்சு ஒரே ஒரு இசையமைப்பாளர்தான் தமிழ் சினிமாவில் இருக்கார். அவருடன் யாரையும் ஒப்பிட முடியாது. அவர்தான் இளையராஜா. அவருக்கு "மாஸ்ட்ரோ"ன்னு ஒரு சின்னப் பட்டம்தான் கொடுத்திருக்காங்க. வானத்தோட கடைசி விளிம்பு வரைக்கும் அவர் போயிட்டார். அவர் அள்ளிச் சென்ற சுரங்கத்தின் மிச்சம் மீதி பொக்கிஷங்களை வெச்சுத்தான் நாங்க விளையாடிட்டு இருக்கோம்.

எனக்குப் பிடித்த இசையமைப்பாளர், பாடலாசிரியர் எல்லாமே இளையராஜாதான். அவர் இருக்கும்போது மற்றவரைப் பற்றிப் பேசுவது சரியா இருக்காது !"" - சிலிர்த்துச் சிரிக்கிறார் விஜய் ஆண்டனி!"

நன்றி: ஆனந்த விகடன், 17.12.2008

crvenky
12th December 2008, 11:19 AM
Nandhala will have only 2 songs + climax bgm for 45 minutes.

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2008/december/111208c.asp

crajkumar_be
12th December 2008, 11:28 AM
Nandhala will have only 2 songs + climax bgm for 45 minutes.

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2008/december/111208c.asp

க்ளைமாக்சில் வசனங்களுக்கு பதிலாக சுமார் 45 நிமிடம் இடம் பெறும் ரீரெக்கார்டிங்தான் ப்டத்தின் ஹைலைட் என்கிறார்கள். இந்த ஒரு விஷயத்துக்காகவே இளையராஜாவை ஒப்பந்தம் செய்திருந்தாராம் மிஷ்கின்
:notworthy: Pullarikkudhu ba!

rajasaranam
12th December 2008, 11:49 AM
"எனக்குத் தெரிஞ்சு ஒரே ஒரு இசையமைப்பாளர்தான் தமிழ் சினிமாவில் இருக்கார். அவருடன் யாரையும் ஒப்பிட முடியாது. அவர்தான் இளையராஜா. அவருக்கு "மாஸ்ட்ரோ"ன்னு ஒரு சின்னப் பட்டம்தான் கொடுத்திருக்காங்க. வானத்தோட கடைசி விளிம்பு வரைக்கும் அவர் போயிட்டார். அவர் அள்ளிச் சென்ற சுரங்கத்தின் மிச்சம் மீதி பொக்கிஷங்களை வெச்சுத்தான் நாங்க விளையாடிட்டு இருக்கோம்.

எனக்குப் பிடித்த இசையமைப்பாளர், பாடலாசிரியர் எல்லாமே இளையராஜாதான். அவர் இருக்கும்போது மற்றவரைப் பற்றிப் பேசுவது சரியா இருக்காது !"" - சிலிர்த்துச் சிரிக்கிறார் விஜய் ஆண்டனி!"

:D ராஜா சம்பாதிச்சு வைத்திருக்கும் இந்த மாதிரி ரசிகர்கள் தான் அவர் சொத்து :notworthy:

kameshratnam
12th December 2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/?hguty1dti54

Pls download the azhagu malar ada instrumental version done by IR In live in italy concert..please note this song is not available in the audio cd

and its available as video in youtube

MrJudge
12th December 2008, 01:33 PM
[tscii:4c2b79eba1]Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra may play a role in the background score of Nandhalala.

"BPO from Hungary plays background music for Nanthalala?

News Date: 10th Dec, 08

We already knew that Illayaraja scores the music of Nanthalala, but the latest news is that BPO or Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra (Symphony Orchestra) from Hungary is probable to be a part of conceiving the background music of this movie. Philharmonic means Love of Symphony music. BPO is the oldest and one of the most prestigious Hungarian orchestras today as well as being considered one of the leading orchestral ensembles in Europe.
We will be certainly gratified if our Maestro Illayaraja joins BPO to emanate another master piece like Beethoven’s Symphony."
[/tscii:4c2b79eba1]

raagas
12th December 2008, 01:49 PM
[tscii:d3af5b3ce8]Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra may play a role in the background score of Nandhalala.

"BPO from Hungary plays background music for Nanthalala?

News Date: 10th Dec, 08

We already knew that Illayaraja scores the music of Nanthalala, but the latest news is that BPO or Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra (Symphony Orchestra) from Hungary is probable to be a part of conceiving the background music of this movie. Philharmonic means Love of Symphony music. BPO is the oldest and one of the most prestigious Hungarian orchestras today as well as being considered one of the leading orchestral ensembles in Europe.
We will be certainly gratified if our Maestro Illayaraja joins BPO to emanate another master piece like Beethoven’s Symphony."
[/tscii:d3af5b3ce8]

This is weird news...good news and bad news. Reasongs below:

1. Weird - This is not 1st time IR employed BPO and the author of thise article writes as if IR is using it for the 1st time.

2. Good News - Do i need to explain why it is good news. the news says it all.

3. Bad news - i doubt if they will release it on audio cd. if they dont, it is pointless because it wont reach many people. One cannot take the pain of sitting through 3 hours (provided he doesnt like the film or if he is not a hardcore IR buff) to enjoy a piece of music that comes in the end. and above all, if a phenomenal piece of music is being made, why not release it on tapes/cds instead of containing it into filmreels and cans. Hey! Ram and Lajja background scores have not been released, despite both having extraordinary scores, with the same BPO. So i ask "whats the point, when i cant hear it?"

raja_fan
12th December 2008, 05:41 PM
Fed up with IR's Hungary circus !

How many times he will do all these without getting any proper recognition even inside India ??

rajasaranam
12th December 2008, 06:17 PM

How many times he will do all these without getting any proper recognition even inside India ??

He is above, any kind of recognition. Rasigargala music Enjoy pannomma santhoshama irunthomannu poikitte irukanum :)

raagas
12th December 2008, 07:34 PM

He is above, any kind of recognition. Rasigargala music Enjoy pannomma santhoshama irunthomannu poikitte irukanum :)

I am not bothered about recognition (because he too is not bothered and although i wish he gets) because recognition is not music. I am bothered about music. I would like to rephrase that question as - "How many times will he do all these, without even releasing the music he has made?"

Sureshs65
12th December 2008, 08:02 PM
Raagas,

They released Guru as Music Messaiah. Hope they release the other ones as well. Whenever he has gone to Hungary, the music has been excellent. Guru, Lajja, Hey Ram and Tiruvasagam. It will make us even more happy if they release the background score. You don't need to watch these movies just for the scores. Maybe it is not a commercially viable proposition.

S.Suresh

kameshratnam
13th December 2008, 09:39 AM
Ellam Seri

RPO RPO RPO......where is it..Subbdu heard it and said that it was a master piece...

MrJudge
13th December 2008, 11:34 AM
Hey! Ram and Lajja background scores have not been released, despite both having extraordinary scores, with the same BPO.

Hey Ram's score is definitely the best background score for any indian film sofar. Kamal planned to release it as a separate CD but didn't go forward because of its BO failure. I heard KR was planning to release it through on-line in mp3 format, don't know what happened to his plans. IR never cares about releasing these valuable scores and moves on to concentrate on some petty projects. :sigh2:

great
13th December 2008, 01:08 PM
Hey! Ram and Lajja background scores have not been released, despite both having extraordinary scores, with the same BPO.

Hey Ram's score is definitely the best background score for any indian film sofar. Kamal planned to release it as a separate CD but didn't go forward because of its BO failure. I heard KR was planning to release it through on-line in mp3 format, don't know what happened to his plans. IR never cares about releasing these valuable scores and moves on to concentrate on some petty projects. :sigh2:

But i guess Hey Ram Bgm was available in one of the site. Forgot the site name though.

vasanth2006
13th December 2008, 08:09 PM
"எல்லாமே இளையராஜாதான் !" - விஜய் ஆண்டணி
"எல்லாமே இளையராஜாதான் !" - "நாகக மூக்க" விஜய் ஆண்டணி

"யுவன், ஜி.வி.பிரகாஷ், நீங்கன்னு எல்லாருமே இசை இளைஞர்களாக ஆக்கிரமிச்சுட்டீங்க. அவங்களைப் பற்றி உங்க அபிப்பிராயம் என்ன?"

நன்றி: ஆனந்த விகடன், 17.12.2008

English version....

I admire Illayaraja the most - Vijay Anthony
IndiaGlitz [Saturday, December 13, 2008]

Music composer Vijay Anthony is a die-hard fan of maestro Illayaraja. Though he composed several songs and carved a niche for himself in Tamil cinema as a successful music composer, he still admires only Illayaraja's songs.

'He is a rare genius. All his songs are phenomenal. I grew up listening to his music. For me, he is the best lyricist, singer and music director. The upcoming songsters of today like me are working on what ever little that was left by Illayaraja in film music'.

:D

MrJudge
14th December 2008, 10:38 AM
But i guess Hey Ram Bgm was available in one of the site. Forgot the site name though.

It may be a DVD-rip off with dialogues, I like to hear just plain music.

raagas
15th December 2008, 11:26 AM

It may be a DVD-rip off with dialogues, I like to hear just plain music.

Precisely. If only he released it. Kamal haasan still has that copy, which he treats as a prized possession.

kameshratnam
15th December 2008, 12:20 PM
Someone can convince kamal that for the love of music..if the dvd can be sold @ 100 per copy and if we make 1000 copies..nothing like it...

:D

rajasaranam
15th December 2008, 12:27 PM
. If only he released it. Kamal haasan still has that copy, which he treats as a prized possession.

Someone can convince kamal that for the love of music..if the dvd can be sold @ 100 per copy and if we make 1000 copies..nothing like it... :D

Hmmm... Kamal is not interested in releasing the score as he wants to cherish it for himself AFAIK. romba suyanalavaathiya irukkaar :P

R.Latha
15th December 2008, 01:32 PM

Music composer Vijay Anthony is a die-hard fan of maestro Illayaraja. Though he composed several songs and carved a niche for himself in Tamil cinema as a successful music composer, he still admires only Illayaraja's songs.

'He is a rare genius. All his songs are phenomenal. I grew up listening to his music. For me, he is the best lyricist, singer and music director. The upcoming songsters of today like me are working on what ever little that was left by Illayaraja in film music'.

About the slew of remixes in contemporary cinema, he says, 'it is the order of the day. But a music composer should be conscious that his remix should be of good quality and should attract the music-lovers. My remix of "Radha Kadhal Varadha" in 'Naan Avan Illai' is still being admired by everyone'.

raagas
15th December 2008, 01:35 PM

About the slew of remixes in contemporary cinema, he says, 'it is the order of the day. But a music composer should be conscious that his remix should be of good quality and should attract the music-lovers. My remix of "Radha Kadhal Varadha" in 'Naan Avan Illai' is still being admired by everyone'.

Aah..self-gratification? or arrogance?

whatever, just point it out..lets not discuss as it doesnt pertain to IR.

Folks...I open this forum to see if there is any good news...about any new album release. But, lookslike we dont have anything coming up.

kameshratnam
16th December 2008, 12:14 PM
. If only he released it. Kamal haasan still has that copy, which he treats as a prized possession.

Someone can convince kamal that for the love of music..if the dvd can be sold @ 100 per copy and if we make 1000 copies..nothing like it... :D

Hmmm... Kamal is not interested in releasing the score as he wants to cherish it for himself AFAIK. romba suyanalavaathiya irukkaar :P

Does anyone know kamal here in this forum? Can you talk to him?

Else

I am gonna talk to Kamal regarding this. When i get the appointment for this, i will let you guys know.

Shankar
16th December 2008, 01:55 PM
>>>>
Does anyone know kamal here in this forum?
<<<<
Yes. I know him very well...
AnA avarukku thAn ennai theriyAdhu :)

(Ubayam: Vivek in minnalE)

kameshratnam
16th December 2008, 02:36 PM
Shankar

On a serious note, is the idea of me approaching kamal good or bad?Your comments please members

raagas
16th December 2008, 06:05 PM
Shankar

On a serious note, is the idea of me approaching kamal good or bad?Your comments please members

It is good, provided it is executed with seriousness. It shouldnt be the case where some Mr.X (anyone who knows Kamal), requests him and Kamal says a mere cursory 'Yes' and forgets the next minute. KH needs to understand the seriousness of our request. Getting an audio label is not difficult (agimusic will defnly lap it up). But KH should take our request seriously.So,it needs not just 1 person, but a team, a small team of atleast 4-5 people, who discuss this at-length, in great detail, with KH. Basically, folks who meet him should be almost on their knees, though not practically, in front of him, to make him understand how much we are yearning for it.

Fliflo
17th December 2008, 09:40 PM
Ilayaraja's music permeates your body - A.R.Rahman

Hi! friends,

Excerpts from an interview with composer A.R.Rahman in Dec-2008 issue of filmfare magazine (i could not find an online link):

Q: You were assisting Illayaraja at one point and your assistant Harris Jayaraj has now branched out independently. When you look back, what thoughts come to your mind?
A: I think music is a gift to people and you cannot deny it to anyone. People like Raja sir are a legend and Harris has a great understanding and sense of setting lyrics to music. I also like music composer Yuvan Shankar. We meet sometimes dung awards ceremonies. In the pressure of finishing your work, you end up not listening to the good compositions of others. You can't casually say this is good or bad.Illayaraja and Harris are both popular and I respect them.

Q: What roles has your apprenticeship with Illayaraja played in the music person that you are today?
A: Illayaraja's influence is so overwhelming on everyone in Tamil Nadu, it almost permeates your body. I respect his music so much. But just to get my style in, I had to stay away from his music. In the past when I have said that people read it out of context and things got misunderstood.

I think he put it right, that IR's music has a permeating quality.
Regards
Kamal Aakarsh Vishnubhotla.

http://kamal-aakarsh.blogspot .com

raja_fan
18th December 2008, 07:00 AM
Illayaraja's influence is so overwhelming on everyone in Tamil Nadu

Oh..IR Tamilnadu...ivar mattum international-aa ?
idhu remba overuppaa...

Appaadaa..oru kalavarathukku point kedaichaachu :)

littlemaster1982
18th December 2008, 07:34 AM
Raja_Fan,

Idhellam ungalukke overa illa?

raagas
18th December 2008, 02:38 PM
Illayaraja's influence is so overwhelming on everyone in Tamil Nadu

Oh..IR Tamilnadu...ivar mattum international-aa ?
idhu remba overuppaa...

Appaadaa..oru kalavarathukku point kedaichaachu :)

i dont understand tamil, but i think you are refuting it.
But to think of it, he put it exactly right..that IR's influence is overwhelming on everyone in Tamil Nadu.mind you, it doesnt say about the quality of music, but about the way people receive it. It is a fact that IR's influence is Not overwhelming in Hindi..or Malayalam or Telugu. Yes, he is popular in Kerala and Telugu but composers dont replicate or imitate him much (effect of influence) and they have their own brand of music..good or bad. That they should have ideally followed his music because of its merit is a different issue. But how many are? His music has enough worth to influence... but that influence could not reach Hindi right.
His 2nd statement that 'IR's music has permeating quality' shows his acknowledgement or opinion about IR's music. And ARR is one of the few humble down-to-earth musicians in India (as told by many classical musicians,veteran playback singers,musicians) who does not give in to any ego trips. I never saw him talking negatively about any composer, howmuchever worthless his music may be (including Himesh Reshamiya).I think he respects IR very much,especially when his favourite songs/albums span a good number of IR's works.
There are many times i wished if IR adopts ARR's simplistic attitude. Not that he is not humble,..he might be..in his own way... but often IR too comments negatively about contemporary 'Pop Corn' music makers, while the fact remains that his own sons are part of such kind of music.and if he disapproves computer/technology generated music, why he himself uses loops and stuff? my point is - if he is also using all that, he shouldnot speak about 'sad state of affairs' then. it would be good if he lets only his music talk and that too..music which is believes in and not of compromising kind.

raja_fan
18th December 2008, 03:59 PM

Ok. I will translate what I told.

Oh..IR is Tamilnadu..but this guy is international ?
This is too much !

Now you decide whether I refute or not :)

rajasaranam
18th December 2008, 04:16 PM
It is a fact that IR's influence is Not overwhelming in Hindi..or Malayalam or Telugu. Yes, he is popular in Kerala and Telugu but composers dont replicate or imitate him much (effect of influence) and they have their own brand of music..good or bad.

Hindi- Late 80's and Early 90's he influenced the Hindi belt!
Malayalam & Telugu - Its surprising that you dont know about composers like keeravani, RP Patnaik, Raveendran, DevisriPrasad, Chakri, Raj koti who had significantly replicated/Imitated Raaja's style of composing!

Second part of your post is acceptable. Yes Raaja should not be cribbing a lot about 'Popcorn' music. He should Let them do watever they want to, while delivering quality music in his own style. :D

littlemaster1982
18th December 2008, 04:39 PM

Ok. I will translate what I told.

Oh..IR is Tamilnadu..but this guy is international ?
This is too much !

Now you decide whether I refute or not :)

Of course yes. you have any doubts?? :lol2:

rprasad
19th December 2008, 04:27 AM
Raagas, I am suprised being a IR fan you seem to know very little on the influence of his music. As Rajasaranam said alot of music directors have had their styles modelled on IR at first and then changed later. Infact one of the prime example he missed in his list is Vidyasagar who used to be a carbon copy of IR's style of music during his early days(when IR was at his peak) and had to struggle to establish himself because of this. IR's influence was felt in South India the most. He never did venture beyond south and into North eventhough a lot of his popular tunes got used by other MD's like Anand Milind, who even commented that since IR is like a god of music its not wrong to steal from his tunes. So you can understand his influence without even composing for many Hindi movies unlike ARR who composes more in Hindi than inSouth. Its all a matter of being at the right place at the right time and also choice to some degree. ARR was at right place and time and also made a choice to do hindi movies. I seriously doubt if Andrew Lloyd Webber ever took time and listened to IR's albums either film or non film. While Bollywood's Sekhar Kapoor(who is based in UK now) made Andrew Webber listen to ARR songs and as they say the rest is history.

Coming to IR critisizing the present Md style, the only thing he keeps saying repeatedly is that music should come from the heart and should have the capacity to create an impression and he always disliked when any MD claimed that they created some different music. I guess for IR Music already exists and everyone just uses it differently. I dont think he ever commented that he dislikes using electronic music, when infact he himself is one of the pioneers in introducing computerized music in India. As for Loops he only said that it should not dominate the song and if he ever used it(i dont think he uses it much) it would only be in background and not prominent.

natha1729
19th December 2008, 10:11 AM
I seriously doubt if Andrew Lloyd Webber ever took time and listened to IR's albums either film or non film. While Bollywood's Sekhar Kapoor(who is based in UK now) made Andrew Webber listen to ARR songs and as they say the rest is history.

ARR is the for the West the "poster child" of India's astounding musical legacy as other Indian composers are out of reach for the west for various reasons. Indian musical influence is already known to all composers all over the world from the time of Beethoven to Wagner to Holst. Hollywood knows the Indian music is an roaring ocean and their "quantity" but a gentle rain fall (or maybe a night of thunderstorm). Webber and others know that what they call "Musical theater or film" is dime a dozen on a weekly release basis in films. And I have figured, that Hollywood knows that there is the 'Supreme of Music" called Ilayaraja and knows he is the one and only. Time must reveal all this. So, cheer up. IR has done his part for India and Music long ago. ARR is simply the messenger and can bring India's rich music when they are ready. SalilDa had envisioned this in the 1950s. I will see if i can find the article somewhere.

Hulkster
19th December 2008, 10:16 AM
IR having no influence in hindi is a joke, anand milind and anu malik copied loads of his songs into hindi and they became famous just for this. Let us not remember hindi world's prejudice to IR.

Anyway IR became international way before ARR.
While ARR had to go bollywood and then enter the international arena(albeit with the help of bollywood bridging the gap between hollywood and the rest), IR did it in tamil nadu with How to Name It and Nothing but wing and if im not wrong he has a doctorate from arizona in the US for music and several appreciators (eg. simone, sir john scott, paul muriat, lazlo kovac etc) just to name a few. And he still remains the first Asian to score a symphony. And just a while ago he composed a orchestal piece for an american music festival featuring different blend of music from different parts of the world, composed for India 24 Hours and also the theme composer for Miss World 1996. There were still people who want him to leave the tamilnadu arena and showcase his music in concerts(not concerts for indian but music festivals like how simone tried to convince raja finally getting him for the angelica music festival) but because of his plain refusal of not doing for money/personal gain, he seems "obscure".

IR tamilnadu thaan anaal tamilnadu veichiyey ulagathai aazhvaar, veliyey poga thevai ellei.

Right now we are happy with IR's decision to just do films he likes and we cannot complain with all the songs he has given us of different genres. only Symphony remaining :(

kameshratnam
19th December 2008, 11:08 AM
It is a fact that IR's influence is Not overwhelming in Hindi..or Malayalam or Telugu. Yes, he is popular in Kerala and Telugu but composers dont replicate or imitate him much (effect of influence) and they have their own brand of music..good or bad.

Malayalam & Telugu - Its surprising that you dont know about composers like keeravani, RP Patnaik, Raveendran, DevisriPrasad, Chakri, Raj koti who had significantly replicated/Imitated Raaja's style of composing!

Second part of your post is acceptable. Yes Raaja should not be cribbing a lot about 'Popcorn' music. He should Let them do watever they want to, while delivering quality music in his own style. :D

If you are not too happy with all these, then it is good. We fans are here to support, please release private albums...we will support it as we have been doing it...

First and foremost release ur RPO and then side by side start making instrumental albums and good song albums...

raagas
19th December 2008, 11:32 AM

I am sorry RS. i have been listening to the music that has been made since 1940s. I have closely followed the styles of all the composers in Hindi, telugu, Tamil, Bengali and Malayalam fields.I am trying to lay a claim here.But seriously, the influence of IR (despite all the merit it had) was little in Hindi belt. Yes, Anand Milind etc lifted IR's songs but we cant call it as influence. Influence is when someone comes up with equally enthralling IR-kind of song.Listen to Shantanu Moitra's "Kaisi Paheli Yeh" from Parineeta, that is IR influence. Listen to Chakri's "Preme Panchami Vennela" from telug film 'Donga Ramudu & Party' - that is IR influence. I
RS, i am a telugu guy and i think it is blasphemous to say that Keeravani,R.P.Patnaik(of all), Devisree Prasad RajKoti replicated IR's music. (i dont intent to hurt anyone here, it is purely my opinion).Yes, very few..and literally very few songs seem inspired...but it is definitely not 'overwhelming'. I accept about Raveendran however.He was genius, whose music had his own stamp plus shades of IR. that is what i call overwhelming influence, despite sticking to his signature and carving his own kingdom of music.

raagas
19th December 2008, 11:44 AM
Raagas, I am suprised being a IR fan you seem to know very little on the influence of his music. As Rajasaranam said alot of music directors have had their styles modelled on IR at first and then changed later. Infact one of the prime example he missed in his list is Vidyasagar who used to be a carbon copy of IR's style of music during his early days(when IR was at his peak) and had to struggle to establish himself because of this. IR's influence was felt in South India the most. He never did venture beyond south and into North eventhough a lot of his popular tunes got used by other MD's like Anand Milind, who even commented that since IR is like a god of music its not wrong to steal from his tunes. So you can understand his influence without even composing for many Hindi movies unlike ARR who composes more in Hindi than inSouth. Its all a matter of being at the right place at the right time and also choice to some degree. ARR was at right place and time and also made a choice to do hindi movies. I seriously doubt if Andrew Lloyd Webber ever took time and listened to IR's albums either film or non film. While Bollywood's Sekhar Kapoor(who is based in UK now) made Andrew Webber listen to ARR songs and as they say the rest is history.

Coming to IR critisizing the present Md style, the only thing he keeps saying repeatedly is that music should come from the heart and should have the capacity to create an impression and he always disliked when any MD claimed that they created some different music. I guess for IR Music already exists and everyone just uses it differently. I dont think he ever commented that he dislikes using electronic music, when infact he himself is one of the pioneers in introducing computerized music in India. As for Loops he only said that it should not dominate the song and if he ever used it(i dont think he uses it much) it would only be in background and not prominent.

Sir, i agree about Vidyasagar and thats what ARR also said, IR's music infuences overwhelmingly, in Tamil Nadu.What i am trying to say is different. People in the North, i mean common listeners with good knowledge in music still do not identify IR's style. There are 2 reasons. 1) IR did not do many films. 2) Nobody else created IR kind of music there, for them to identify. For 1st reason, we can do nothing and it is beyond the scope of our discussion. My focus is on 2nd point. Why could not composers create IR's kind of sound or harmonies, despite lifting his tunes? Sir, lifting tunes is not influence. it is only blatant copy, to encash on something good somewhere else. Look at "Rakkamma"'s hindi version "Tu Tu Tu Tu Tara". Rakkamma's tune has been used, stripped completely of its beautiful elements. "Eenaadey Edo Ayyindhi" from 'Prema' has been used as 'Saathiya Tumko Pyar Kiya' but devoid of all thse intelligent pieces.
The point I am trying to make is: You can smell IR in some Raveendran's songs, Shankar-Ganesh's songs, Vidya Sagar's songs (didnt we, in this forum or previously when we were kiddos, get confused about certain songs..wondering if they are by IR or Shankar Ganesh). That is overwhelming influence. It happened with very very few songs of Keeravani and handful songs of RajKoti. But that kind of IR-ism did not creep into North India. And that again i say, that it had all the merit. Just that, the leap of IR-ism did not not happen and it is a fact.
Why did Anu Malik or Anand Milind lift IR and not give something on their own, sprinkling few doses of IR? why did Shantanu Moitra do it? because he reverred it and he followed IR's music, living in Kolkata. Not many in Bombay did that, except for R.D.Burman (as stated by SPB)
I hope I am not misunderstood and you are getting what i am trying to say.

raagas
19th December 2008, 11:53 AM
I seriously doubt if Andrew Lloyd Webber ever took time and listened to IR's albums either film or non film. While Bollywood's Sekhar Kapoor(who is based in UK now) made Andrew Webber listen to ARR songs and as they say the rest is history.

ARR is the for the West the "poster child" of India's astounding musical legacy as other Indian composers are out of reach for the west for various reasons. Indian musical influence is already known to all composers all over the world from the time of Beethoven to Wagner to Holst. Hollywood knows the Indian music is an roaring ocean and their "quantity" but a gentle rain fall (or maybe a night of thunderstorm). Webber and others know that what they call "Musical theater or film" is dime a dozen on a weekly release basis in films. And I have figured, that Hollywood knows that there is the 'Supreme of Music" called Ilayaraja and knows he is the one and only. Time must reveal all this. So, cheer up. IR has done his part for India and Music long ago. ARR is simply the messenger and can bring India's rich music when they are ready. SalilDa had envisioned this in the 1950s. I will see if i can find the article somewhere.

Firstly It doesnt matter if Andrew Lyod Webber listens to IR or not. and secondly, i think every composer does things in his own way. Pt.Ravi Shankar also did western music, in his way. Do we, as IR fans, demean that fact? no right. We cannot and shouldnt expect ARR to do music like IR, be it in India or abroad. It is an insult to his creativity,thought process.What i do is just listen with a plain mind, without comparisons, and take a call. Like i didnt like Bombay Dreams, but liked 'warriors of Heaven & earth'. Anyways, let us not digress. What i finally feel is .. creativity needs to be properly showcased, especially when one has the capability to harness strengths. Thirivasakamis a fantastic album, which originally was started as "Indian Music in western classical format'. It was initially designed as taking Indian music to western audience.
To think of it, it has all the merit..no doubt..But imagine if there were no lyrics (i know..i sound wrong, because Thiruvasakam was also about lyrics..but then..give a thought), the DVD of making of Thiruvasakam had those pieces without lyrics and they sound brilliant. If only IR released an instrumental version. thats what i am saying. albums which speaks volumes about composer. we need those, not 'Dhanams' (although i liked 1 song :D )

raagas
19th December 2008, 12:00 PM
IR having no influence in hindi is a joke, anand milind and anu malik copied loads of his songs into hindi and they became famous just for this. Let us not remember hindi world's prejudice to IR.

Anyway IR became international way before ARR.
While ARR had to go bollywood and then enter the international arena(albeit with the help of bollywood bridging the gap between hollywood and the rest), IR did it in tamil nadu with How to Name It and Nothing but wing and if im not wrong he has a doctorate from arizona in the US for music and several appreciators (eg. simone, sir john scott, paul muriat, lazlo kovac etc) just to name a few. And he still remains the first Asian to score a symphony. And just a while ago he composed a orchestal piece for an american music festival featuring different blend of music from different parts of the world, composed for India 24 Hours and also the theme composer for Miss World 1996. There were still people who want him to leave the tamilnadu arena and showcase his music in concerts(not concerts for indian but music festivals like how simone tried to convince raja finally getting him for the angelica music festival) but because of his plain refusal of not doing for money/personal gain, he seems "obscure".

IR tamilnadu thaan anaal tamilnadu veichiyey ulagathai aazhvaar, veliyey poga thevai ellei.

Right now we are happy with IR's decision to just do films he likes and we cannot complain with all the songs he has given us of different genres. only Symphony remaining :(

I know sir..

plz refer to my replies above.. what i am trying is to say about overwhelming influence in Tamil Nadu and not lifts.

Sir, shall i tell you one fact. In North India, people know IR, but they cannot go beyond 'Sadma' to say what they like about IR.

Also, among composers, ask their favourites. This Anand Milind and Anu Malik never cared a damn to appreciate IR's music. I have seen only few people who appreciated IR.

Legendary composer Naushad, RD.Burman, Salil Chaudhary, Shantanu Moitra and Bhupen Hazarika. Thats all. i didnt see any other film composer praise IR and accept that they are influenced.

And in this generation, atleast there is a ARR who could tell the Northies that he likes IR.

1.in filmfare magazine, ARR quoted 'How to Name it' as his fav album.
2. in Channel-V (10 years ago), he played 'Oru Iniya Manathu' (Johnny) as his fav song. I saw this programme.

Tamilan
19th December 2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.businessday.co.za/PrintFriendly.aspx?ID=BD4A844165

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=cjZ29uHsrvI

raagas
19th December 2008, 01:26 PM
http://www.businessday.co.za/PrintFriendly.aspx?ID=BD4A844165

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=cjZ29uHsrvI

Good... the track being good or bad is different issue... but IR's tune going international is good. :)

raagas
19th December 2008, 03:08 PM
Raagas, I dont think he ever commented that he dislikes using electronic music, when infact he himself is one of the pioneers in introducing computerized music in India. As for Loops he only said that it should not dominate the song and if he ever used it(i dont think he uses it much) it would only be in background and not prominent.

To add, he never said negatively about electronic music but often spoke negatively about computer generated instant music.And he is right too. i dont dispute that.But my point is he too gives that sometimes.and regarding loops,he did use it and still does.For example, recently i heard a tamil song 'super pattonu' from "Kumbakonam Gopalu". The rhythm is same, in beat and even the sound..Verbatim..as in one telugu song(3rd interlude from "Yamaha nagari" from 'choodaalani undhi'). I dont say that he copied (he never did), but it only shows that someone has used the same loops and even IR did.This is just one example and i came across many. Another example which shocked me recently was a weird 'cry' kind of sound, which i heard in an IR song and also in "Love Birds", Hindi film "Gupt" and many other albums of many composers. Like that, there are so many which i often come across (in IR albums that came after 1997-98 period), which are not re-executed/re-played elements but just 'pasted' stuff. Thats quite an Un-Ilaiyaraaja approach and the more i find it prelevant, the more i am disappointed.because i never expect this from the perfectionist himself.But Thats happening, sadly and only albums like Uliyin Osai are exceptions.

Hulkster
19th December 2008, 05:26 PM
Well anyway nowadays i am not bothered.

1) The complain of him not having the fire of his 80s style.

2) The complain of him releasing low-quality albums these days(i wonder if fans really listen to his songs nowadayas, dhanam had more than 3 good numbers especially the complex background drum rhythm in enga dhanam song and the bass usage in koothu onnu..ithu yellam kaathukku keikaathu :curse:).

3) The complain that the movies he chooses are bad.

4) The complain that he does not do instrumental albums. (I dunt think he has an interest in showcasing talent for the sake of it. He will only do it if he feels it is necessary.)

5) The RPO Symphony.(my only complain about IR is this :( ).

6) The complain about his personality when the fella has helped so many producers in the past by doing movies for free and keeping in touch with their allegiances. (What's wrong with him talking about popcorn music and stuff...he is entitled to it as he is one of the best composers in the world if not the best).

Just a word of advice, if your IR fans just listen and appreciate his songs, frankly most of his albums post 2000 have not really been appreciated here including thiruvaasagam while others like yahoo fans group could bring out stunning technical details of koothu onnu song in dhanam which loads of you here dismissed as a sleazy number and bothered not to listen.(Is music only limited to very decent songs in lyrics i wonder, there are different types of songs yet we only consider one type to be good and the rest rubbish if we dunt like their style).

The negativity is one big problem here which really puts me off discussing anything except for short sentences. Despite the man bagging alot of offers these days including a NRI project and films in almost all prominent languages, the posts here make him sound like he was doing 1 film and that film gave him the worst music composer award.

Pidichaal keilunga ellei na pesathenga, i really appreciate ARR fans for this. Even if a bad album of ARR releases they are happy to listen to his one good number in that album and promote it. Here even if three good numbers are there people will still say above average and discuss his orbituary. :curse: :banghead:

Plum
19th December 2008, 07:59 PM
Hello Hello Hello - Do you even know about Andhra Pradesh? IR is a huge influence there on everyone's memory. All the current top composers starting from Mani Sharma to Devi Sri Prasad to R.P.Patnaik to Chakri are all IR fanatics. They freely admit his influence. He is as dominant there as he is in Tamil Nadu. A R Rahman isnt any close to him atleast there. he has his urban pockets of course but as you can imagine, more people in the southern states are tuned to their own language movies than Hindi so it is easy to prove that ARR is not as admired in Telugu as IR.
And get one thing - IR's telugu songs are so rooted there. Thats not something you can say of Rahman - Rahman is pan-indian like Bollywood but rooted nowhere. He has evolved a style of his own and made it a hurricane influence - good for him. But it is rooted composers who can permeate as Rahman rightly observed - and IR's tamil songs have been so rooted here that it permeates every tamilian. The beauty is IR can shed his tamil skin and completely root himself into the heart of telugu folk and classical traditions when he crosses gummidipoondi into Tada. You wouldnt even probably appreciate many of his godavari-rooted songs. I would because I have been there and can smell those roots.
That is one quality of IR very few composers have achieved. So what are we talking about influence?
I dont know about Kerala but Sathyan Anthikkad talks about authentic maplah songs by IR so I would think they are onto something there - because I have seen IR's magic in Telugu, I can definitely understand if he could root himself in Kerala also.

MumbaiRamki
19th December 2008, 08:33 PM
AR Rehman என்ன தவறு செய்தார் . அவரை கிழ இறக்கி தான் இளைய ராஜாவை உயர்த்த வேண்டுமா ? என்னை பொறுத்த வரை , யார் பாடல்களை கேட்டு கண்ணீர் வருகிறதோ அவரே சிறந்த இசையமை பாளர் . மற்றவர்கள் அமைப்பாளர்கள் மட்டுமே!

Sureshs65
19th December 2008, 10:10 PM
As in politics, Illayaraja seems to be suffering from an anti-incumbency wave from his own fans !! You can see raagas is full of praise for 'Uliyin Osai' songs but when you see the Top 10 type of things these songs don't figure anywhere!! The songs of 'Poo' are praised because they are like Illayaraja songs but when Illayaraja composes in that style it will become 'cobweb' :) 'Vaaranam Aayiram' is the hit of the year but you can always argue that what was done in 'Uliyin Osai' was far superior to what was done in VA or any other film for that matter, but that wouldn't lead us anywhere.

I honestly enjoyed all his albums this year. 'Uliyin Osai', 'Mallepoovu', were two outstanding albums. 'Dhanam' was a lovely album as and I like all songs except 'Ulagam Kidakudhu'. 'Innate Chinta Vishayam' and 'SMS' were good as well. All three songs in the former and three songs in the later being good. 'Subha Niyogamale' from SMS was as good or better than 'Kannanukku'. But SMS was dismissed because it has _only_ three good songs whereas other albums are being praised and applauded because they have _two_ good songs !! I am very happy with 'Manikantan Geeta Mala' and I am currently listening to it daily.

I am strong believer that if my aesthetics are developed enough I wouldn't care what a white skinned guy says about Illayaraja. This is not a case of sour grapes. In carnatic music as well my favorite singer is not as well known as many of the 'stars' but it doesn't matter. All I ask from Illayaraja is good music and he has been providing it constantly. This year has been good as far as I am concerned. I have listened to most of the albums this year including the more popular ones from various MDs. I can say without hurting my conscience that I loved Illayaraja songs the most. I can understand others having a diametrically opposite view to mine but to each his/her own.

S.Suresh

raja_fan
20th December 2008, 08:03 AM
யார் பாடல்களை கேட்டு கண்ணீர் வருகிறதோ அவரே சிறந்த இசையமை பாளர் .

I now understand why ARR is a good MD for you ;)

littlemaster1982
20th December 2008, 09:04 AM

He is an IR fan :lol2:

MADDY
20th December 2008, 09:16 AM

He is an IR fan :lol2:

avaru nakkalu pannraaraam..... :lol:

disgusting to see that so many posts on ARR here unneccessarily and that too after he elevated IR to a unparallelled level in his interview........what more you guys expect him to say??? IR is GOD, i will build a temple for him??? sorry guys, we and our GOD respect IR - thats abt it......

i know all my complaints abt too much discussion on ARR in IR forums fall in deaf ears cos all MODs are IR fans.........the day, when we have a ARR fan MOD, all this nonsentical stuff would be strictly prohibited

raagas
20th December 2008, 10:43 AM
(What's wrong with him talking about popcorn music and stuff...he is entitled to it as he is one of the best composers in the world if not the best).

Just a word of advice, if your IR fans just listen and appreciate his songs, frankly most of his albums post 2000 have not really been appreciated here including thiruvaasagam while others like yahoo fans group could bring out stunning technical details of koothu onnu song in dhanam which loads of you here dismissed as a sleazy number and bothered not to listen.(Is music only limited to very decent songs in lyrics i wonder, there are different types of songs yet we only consider one type to be good and the rest rubbish if we dunt like their style).

The negativity is one big problem here which really puts me off discussing anything except for short sentences. Despite the man bagging alot of offers these days including a NRI project and films in almost all prominent languages, the posts here make him sound like he was doing 1 film and that film gave him the worst music composer award. Pidichaal keilunga ellei na pesathenga, i really appreciate ARR fans for this. Even if a bad album of ARR releases they are happy to listen to his one good number in that album and promote it. Here even if three good numbers are there people will still say above average and discuss his orbituary. :curse: :banghead:

Sir, all said and done.. we are IR bhakths..and it is natural for us to have expectations. Tell me, dont you. Ofcourse, IR is composing music keeping entire public in mind and not just you and me.And i do agree with you, regarding those fantastic techniques he uses.But to tell you frankly, if the lead melody doesnt capture you that great enough, as the background wizadry, you might reduce the no. of times you hear that song. there will still be a sense of incompleteness.Anyways,that is a different issue, but i partly agree with you that ARR fans are happy to listen to just 1 good number, but the whole aspect of 'getting satisfied' with one good number is not that great either. I mean, finally it only means that the composer's genius rate has fallen to 1/6 instead of some some 4/6 or 5/6 right. To tell you honestly,I am equally criticall abt ARR's works.I dont feel great about just 1 good song, be it any composer. Ofcourse,that 1 song holds a special place in my collection is a different matter, but others are trashed out right. IR's recent gems are "shiva 2006", "Vinodha Yatra", "Uliyin Osai" etc. They are the benchmarks.because it is all about listening experience.Whats the point if i am fastforwarding most songs.

and sir, there is no negativity.because negativity breeds pesssimism.we only discussing the realistic 'reactions' to some of his songs. We fans are so hopefull (hopelessly hopeful) that even if IR dishes out 10 albums of not-so-great music, we will still wait,long for and buy that 11th album.we are inveterate optimists.Dont worry, in the end, despite varied perspectives, all our yearnings converge at a point - 'Great Music of IR'. We are not writing him off. We can never. Because we know what all he is capable of.

raagas
20th December 2008, 11:01 AM
Hello Hello Hello - Do you even know about Andhra Pradesh? IR is a huge influence there on everyone's memory. All the current top composers starting from Mani Sharma to Devi Sri Prasad to R.P.Patnaik to Chakri are all IR fanatics. They freely admit his influence. He is as dominant there as he is in Tamil Nadu. A R Rahman isnt any close to him atleast there. he has his urban pockets of course but as you can imagine, more people in the southern states are tuned to their own language movies than Hindi so it is easy to prove that ARR is not as admired in Telugu as IR.
And get one thing - IR's telugu songs are so rooted there. Thats not something you can say of Rahman - Rahman is pan-indian like Bollywood but rooted nowhere. He has evolved a style of his own and made it a hurricane influence - good for him. But it is rooted composers who can permeate as Rahman rightly observed - and IR's tamil songs have been so rooted here that it permeates every tamilian. The beauty is IR can shed his tamil skin and completely root himself into the heart of telugu folk and classical traditions when he crosses gummidipoondi into Tada. You wouldnt even probably appreciate many of his godavari-rooted songs. I would because I have been there and can smell those roots.
That is one quality of IR very few composers have achieved. So what are we talking about influence?
I dont know about Kerala but Sathyan Anthikkad talks about authentic maplah songs by IR so I would think they are onto something there - because I have seen IR's magic in Telugu, I can definitely understand if he could root himself in Kerala also.

Sir, I have been living (only)in Andhra Pradesh and listening to IR's music, for the past 3 decades.So, plz dont think that i dont know about IR's influence or how telugu composers rever him or telugu folk or godavari smell. If you have seen IR's magic in telugu, i have lived with it since 3 decades, because, I am a Telugu guy and i dont know an alphabet of Tamil (ofcourse, i listen to all songs of IR).
Coming to composers reverring him. it is true.But the reverence stops there, atleast today.Devisree Prasad prostrated before IR.So does Chakri.True, they rever him.But the reverence rarely creeps in their 'genuineness of music'.it is like saying 'Anu Malik' is a fan of R.D.Burman. or 'Pritam' is a fan of 'Hemant Kumar'. I ask, so what? They are doing their way of music (no probs with that), but their way of music is so bad (personal opinion, but this beats me). See, we are IR fans. and if i start composing music and make music which is pedestrain, am i a fitting 'fan'?whats the point praising someone or claiming someone to be an inspiration. The best example is IR himself. He is a fan of Bach. and then look at the music he has made. Now thats a genuine composer, who not only says he is a fan of Bach, but also creates music which reminds of Bach, and yet stays distinct. This is what i am talking about.
And yes, ARR's music is pan-Indian and thats the way he adopted.and good that he did that.because Indian music lovers really needed someone who can bridge that North-South divide.He did that. Thats fine. i dont say IR doesnt have capability. He had. He has. He just didnt back then, for reasons known to him.that is also fine. I am only saying that, now...in this globalized environment, world music wave and technology advancement, he can do away with those trappings and do music which is..say pan-indian or pan-global or whatever. and whats wrong in wishing that?because i strongly believe he has all the acumen for that.

raagas
20th December 2008, 11:19 AM
As in politics, Illayaraja seems to be suffering from an anti-incumbency wave from his own fans !! You can see raagas is full of praise for 'Uliyin Osai' songs but when you see the Top 10 type of things these songs don't figure anywhere!! 'Dhanam' was a lovely album as and I like all songs except 'Ulagam Kidakudhu'. 'Innate Chinta Vishayam' and 'SMS' were good as well. All three songs in the former and three songs in the later being good. 'Subha Niyogamale' from SMS was as good or better than 'Kannanukku'. But SMS was dismissed because it has _only_ three good songs whereas other albums are being praised and applauded because they have _two_ good songs !! I am very happy with 'Manikantan Geeta Mala' and I am currently listening to it daily.

I am strong believer that if my aesthetics are developed enough I wouldn't care what a white skinned guy says about Illayaraja. This is not a case of sour grapes. In carnatic music as well my favorite singer is not as well known as many of the 'stars' but it doesn't matter. All I ask from Illayaraja is good music and he has been providing it constantly. This year has been good as far as I am concerned. I have listened to most of the albums this year including the more popular ones from various MDs. I can say without hurting my conscience that I loved Illayaraja songs the most. I can understand others having a diametrically opposite view to mine but to each his/her own.

S.Suresh

Suresh, anti-incumbency is probably not the right word.we are only discussing what 'kind' of songs we like and what we dont. and everyone has their own favs. you yourself have disliked or atleast had opinion like 'not-so-good' , regarding some of the albums you quoted here.likewise, i too have some IR songs i liked and some which i disliked too. and these likes and dislikes are purely personal experiences. So there will always be overlaps or different perspectives in opinions of members here. thats fine. But at the end, we are discussing about IR doing something which is liked/loved by ALL. i am pressing solely on that.thats the reason i am talking about Uliyin Osai or instrumental albums, because i believe evereyone will like albums of that calibre.i am only expressing that 'he can, but he is not' kind of thought.reg likes and dislikes, as you said... to each his own. and that will always be there..but if there is something spectacular like instrumental album or his carnatic album with Mandolin Srinivas (very underrated album which did not get its due, atleast discussionwise from IR fans), then it would not be 'to each his own', because everyone will like it.

raagas
20th December 2008, 11:22 AM
Ok guys, looks like the discussion is getting monotonous,Can we discuss something else now. I read in a Telugu newspaper today that JaganMohini will be releasing for this Sankranthi/Pongal. :) So, even as 1-2 tamil albums are pending and might release soon, we will definitely have 1 telugu album coming soon, probably in the next 20 days itself.

MADDY
20th December 2008, 12:10 PM
but i partly agree with you that ARR fans are happy to listen to just 1 good number

how do u know that?? :roll: r u part of our orkut fan clubs or yahoo fan groups? if u dont have justification for this , TAKE BACK YOUR STATEMENT

raagas
20th December 2008, 02:06 PM
but i partly agree with you that ARR fans are happy to listen to just 1 good number

how do u know that?? :roll: r u part of our orkut fan clubs or yahoo fan groups? if u dont have justification for this , TAKE BACK YOUR STATEMENT

Hey...i didnt intend to offend anyone here or elsewhere by saying that. anf firstly, this is a wrong platform to discuss this. still, i'd like to make it clear that the statement holds good only for not-so-impressive albums. And it is a general observation. I intend to say that, people dont get much critical about 3 or 4 not-so-great songs but instead relish and enjoy that 1 song very much.being happy to liten to 1 good song is fair, because they enjoy it.but overlooking other numbers when they are not that great (or at times even some good songs are ignored and are later dug out and remembered) is something i have often seen. reasons can be any..it could be also that the 1 good song might dominate others. And i am not blaming someone. it is a human trait and it happens with probably any composer. not all are objectivistic you know to review an album. sometimes, the liking for a song takes over.
Anyways, before we dig deep and invite trouble, let us end this discusion here since this is not the right platform to discuss this issue.

rajasaranam
20th December 2008, 02:18 PM
right time to stop this discussion and continue HERE (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1634582#1634582) Afresh.

MODS are requested to lock this thread and make the other thread STICKY.

raagas
20th December 2008, 10:53 PM
perfect... I agree

Plum
25th December 2008, 06:56 AM
Maddy, the day you stop worrying about 'controlling' HUB and opinion on ARR, you will be happy :-)

All I wanted to say was all this talk about IR has to open his mind and do stuff like Slumdog etc, and UNDERSTAND DIRECTOR's VISION is funny. IR's been there, done that. He has done enough offbeat movies that nothing is new - rajasaranam, you probably have to put your Akka mahadevie link here again. Probably, that director's interview too. IR adds value to genuine film makers' movies whatever be the vision. Idhu ellam solli puriyara vishayam illai. Puriyattalum yaarukkum nashtamum illai.

kameshratnam
26th December 2008, 09:25 AM
Hi .this is great news....One of the producers of nandalala has replied to my post in orkut in the Tamil cinema community...see it under the topic

http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#CommMsgs.aspx?cmm=64172&tid=5278727970347737105&na=2&nst=11

He says

Audio probabaly by 10th of jan, we have plans to release score also...but at a later date...

MADDY
26th December 2008, 06:22 PM
Maddy, the day you stop worrying about 'controlling' HUB and opinion on ARR, you will be happy :-)

who says i;m sad - do u want me to tell who are sad, who are frustrated, who are feeling low ?

sorry, i cant let some people talk anything they want to abt ARR - call it control or watever term u feel comfortable with......ofcourse, i cant go searching thruout internet for ARR bashing and respond to each one of those, but if it comes to my notice or i happen to view it, I WILL RESPOND, however tight my work schedules are......after all, why else have i taken this birth :)

rajasaranam
26th December 2008, 07:19 PM

who says i;m sad - do u want me to tell who are sad, who are frustrated, who are feeling low ?

Fans can be of two types. Fans of a genius composers may be feeling temporarily low but there will be always his great music being revered everywhere making them permanently high. Fans of a mediocre composers may be feeling temporarily High because his *Pop* music making waves, but there will be always an yearning for them to get critically praised too which is never gonna happen making them pathetically all time low. :notworthy:

MADDY
26th December 2008, 08:18 PM

Fans can be of two types. Fans of a genius composers may be feeling temporarily low but there will be always his great music being revered everywhere making them permanently high. Fans of a mediocre composers may be feeling temporarily High because his *Pop* music making waves, but there will be always an yearning for them to get critically praised too which is never gonna happen making them pathetically all time low. :notworthy:

i dunno ur categories - but i know that my category is a happy lot who talk only about our works and not bother abt what others are doing, we dont even have time to bother abt others......critical acclaim is something our master never went after, its something that automatically comes if deserved.......

p.s: on a digressive note, i strongly believed that tamil folk is POP music in TN, so u know who is a POP MD :)

NormalMan
26th December 2008, 10:40 PM
rajasaranam --> chmall karraction .... NOT pop MD; but pop arranger :froggrin:

raagas
26th December 2008, 11:29 PM
yawn!

all this appears like a meaningless talk (sorry for being frank).

Plum
28th December 2008, 05:23 PM
Certainly, I dont intend to get into a "whose daddy is stronger" debate.
Whatever anyone says cannot take anything away from either IR or ARR. If I prefer IR to ARR, thats just my taste.

raagas
29th December 2008, 09:10 AM
Ah..u just said it Plum. My thoughts - verbatim.

raagas
2nd January 2009, 01:59 PM
The moderators may plz close this thread and move it from 'Sticky' status to normal status. We now have a thread for 2009 newsbits etc. Let us all continue the discussions there.

Coninued here : http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12410