PDA

View Full Version : Yuvan Shankar Raja's new film - "Billa" with Ajit

itsmuls
4th December 2006, 10:16 AM
[tscii:f905a1a14f]http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14342752

Ajit -The new `Billa`!

By Moviebuzz | Sunday, 03 December , 2006, 17:08
It's official! Ajit will be doing the remake of Billa, that Rajnikanth action classic of 1980. The film will be directed by Vishnuvardhan the young, hot& happening director of Kollywood and produced by veteran distributor L.Suresh of Ananda pictures.

So the remake syndrome has hit Tamil cinema also. Remember that it has become a fashion in Bollywood to remake old classics. Recently Shahrukh Khan did Don a remake of that old Amitabh Bachchan film with the same name. And by sheer coincidence Rajni’s Billa was a remake of the same Don!

Veteran producer K.Balaji had made Billa with Rajnikanth in his first double role along with Sri Priya, Thengai Srinivasan, Major Sounderrajan and Helen, directed by R.Krishnamoorthy. It was a film that made Rajni a mass action hero (see pic) and he was crowned the superstar on its release day-January 26, 1980!

Vishnuvardhan had in fact had this idea of remaking the film much before Farhan Akhtar even thought about it and had approached few superstars two years back. But no one was confident about doing a Rajni hit as they thought that comparisons will be far too many! Ajit had the guts not only to do the film but is gung-ho about the project. And now after Varalaaru has become a super hit, he wants to do something different and is taking it up as a challenge.

It seems that Ajit met the superstar who advised him to go ahead with the project. L.Suresh the producer who will be doing the film after Ajit completes Kireedom has brought the remake rights from K Balaji. Suresh also encouraged Ajit by saying that the curiosity and title value will make a lot of people go and watch the new Billa giving it an extraordinary opening.

Vishnuvardhan is all excited about the film and has started writing the script of the film which will be shot slickly. Vishnu is sure to give the film a modern updated, technically far superior Billa which will work magic with the audiences. He made it clear that he will not be deviating much story wise from its original.

Nirav Shah the cameraman who has won a lot of critical acclaim for the recent Dhoom-2 will be the cameraman and Sreekar Prasad will be the editor. Vishnu’s close buddy Yuvan Shankar Raja is the music director. They are planning to remix two of the original songs written by Kannadasan with M.S.Viswanathan’s music. The all-time favourite Rajnikanth introduction song My name is Billa… sung by SPB and Vethialaya Pottendy… sung by Malaysia Vasudevan will be retained in the new Billa.

Ajit’s Billa will start rolling sometime in March 2007 and promises to be a racy, peppy and ultra stylish entertainer.

[/tscii:f905a1a14f]

itsmuls
4th December 2006, 10:19 AM
All the best for U1 whose combination with Vishnu always clicks with innovation and good music.

MrJudge
4th December 2006, 11:16 AM
Oh no! not remixes again from Yuvan. But I guess he doesn't have any other options :(

Nirav Shah is the cameraman of Dhoom2??? haven't watched the film yet, but from the promos I think he has done a wonderful job.

vasanth2006
4th December 2006, 02:51 PM
[tscii:d7bbf9123f]http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14342752

Ajit -The new `Billa`!

By Moviebuzz | Sunday, 03 December , 2006, 17:08
Vishnu’s close buddy Yuvan Shankar Raja is the music director. They are planning to remix two of the original songs written by Kannadasan with M.S.Viswanathan’s music. The all-time favourite Rajnikanth introduction song My name is Billa… sung by SPB and Vethialaya Pottendy… sung by Malaysia Vasudevan will be retained in the new Billa.

[/tscii:d7bbf9123f]

:banghead: yaravadhu poi yuvankitta sollungappa. intha remixa avaroda fans virumbalannu. we liked the intial remix attempts. because he was tried for new things. nobody in the industry used remix. so thats fine. but now everybody is using remix. So u1 should not do remixes.

Dragun
5th December 2006, 02:06 AM
YSR is working backwards in the remix game. First he did some IR tunes, now some MSV tunes. When will he remix a G. Ramanathan song? :-)

Not to mention the sample of MKT in Theepidikka from AA...

app_engine
5th December 2006, 03:06 AM
"நான் ட்யூன் செய்தேன்" என்று சொல்லிக்கொண்டு காப்பி அடிப்பதை விட ரீமிக்ஸ் செய்வது மேல்:-)

குறைந்த பட்சம் ஒரிஜினல் கம்போஸருக்கு க்ரெடிட்டாவது கிடைக்குமல்லவா?

MADDY
5th December 2006, 03:34 AM
"நான் ட்யூன் செய்தேன்" என்று சொல்லிக்கொண்டு காப்பி அடிப்பதை விட ரீமிக்ஸ் செய்வது மேல்:-)

குறைந்த பட்சம் ஒரிஜினல் கம்போஸருக்கு க்ரெடிட்டாவது கிடைக்குமல்லவா?

enna oru uyarndha karuthhu.... :D ........these days, whoever copies will get caught big time.......al composers know this.......so no composer will tell out proudly that its his song, if he had copied....

i guess, its high time U1 stops remixes......he should tell a NO to these guys.......if he can give albums like PV - wats the need for remixes? :roll:

rsubras
5th December 2006, 11:37 AM
hmmm enna than yuvan shankar raja johnny pada paatai uruvi 7G ku pottu per vangirunthalum, kaadhal konden padathukku english songs ah uruvirunthalum ipadi kindal adikka koodathu app_engine sir... he does have some real and great talent too..... :)

Shankar
5th December 2006, 06:56 PM
>>>>>
enna than yuvan shankar raja johnny pada paatai uruvi 7G ku pottu per vangirunthalum
<<<<<

endha pAttayum uruvalai...he just had taken the love theme and used it in the theme score. While that motif was a note by note copy, the whole theme wasn't copied. There are more motifs in the 7G theme that (as far as I know :-) ) are original.

app_engine
5th December 2006, 08:49 PM
these days, whoever copies will get caught big time
அய்யா மாடி,

யாருங்க பிடிச்சு தண்டனை கொடுக்கறது? சமீபத்தில் நடந்த ஏதாவது ஒரு சம்பவம் சொல்லுங்க பார்ப்போம்:-)

வேறு சில கேள்விகள்:

1. உருவான பாடல் உரிமை யாருக்கு? ( தயாரிப்பாளருக்கு என்றால், 'விடிய விடிய நடனம்' மெட்டை ஷிவா 2006'ல் உபயோகிக்க, ராசா அந்த தயாரிப்பாளரிடம் அனுமதி பெற்றாரா? அதே போல் 'ஆனந்த ராகம்' மெட்டும்...)

2. காப்பி அடித்ததை எதிர்த்து நீதி மன்றம் போனால், எந்த அடிப்படையில் காப்பியா, இல்லையா என்று தீர்மானிப்பது? மெட்டா, அல்லது பின்னணி இசையா? பாடல் வரிகளா? தாளமா? இடையில் வரும் இசையா? சின்ன சின்ன மாற்றங்கள் செய்து மறைத்திருந்தால், காப்பி வாதம் செல்லுமா?

3. பாடலின் உரிமை எவ்வளவு காலத்துக்கு? (பாரதி வரிகளை எல்லோரும் இலவசமாக உபயோகிக்க முடியும்...ஜி ராமனாதன் மெட்டுக்களும் அப்படித்தானா? பாக்? பீதோவன்? தியாகராஜர்?)

rajasaranam
5th December 2006, 10:58 PM
App engine,

Ilaiyaraajavai Thavira Ellorum copyrights prachanaikku ullagiraargal yaen endru theiryavillai :?
Samibathil Ragumaan kooda 'ovvoru muraiyum maedayiyil avarathu paadalai paaduvatharke audio companygalidam utharavau vaanga vaendi irukirathu, enavae en paadalgalin copyrights urimaiyil enakkum pangu vaendum ena oru paetiyil koorinaar' maelum Shahrukhanin oru padathai intha prachanaikaaga niraagarithaar.
Sachin padathin bodhu Devisriprasad thanathu telugu paadalgalai ubayogithaar enbatharkaaga prachanai ezhunthathu.

Indhiyavil copyright sattangalil niraiya ottaigal ulalthu polum. athnaalthaan Tips Cassettes Gulshan kumar Pazhaya paadalgalai vaeru paadagargalai [Anuradha paudwal, kumar shanu] kondu puthithaai olipathivu seithu veliyittu kodi kodiyaai sambathithaar. Athu Indhiya sattangalin padi thavaru illai ena neethimandrathilum nirubithaar.

Cinema Paadalagal patri theriyavillai, aanal kalai ilakiyangalai uruvaakiyavar iranthu 25 aandugalukku pin naattudamaiaakkalam ena oru sattam ullathu. Antha sattathin padiyae Mukavin sendra aatchi kaalathil Bharathidasan paadalgalai naatudamai aakki kondu avar tham kudumbathirkku 5 latcham koduthaar.

Melum Maddy avarathu pathivil copy adithaal maatti kolvaargal endru mattumae koorinaar, avaragalukku thandanai alipathu patri ethuvum sollavillai. :wink:

app_engine
6th December 2006, 01:57 AM
நல்ல விளக்கங்கள் ராஜாசரணம்! சில சட்டங்களை சுட்டியமைக்கு நன்றி!

"கெட் காட் பிக் டைம்" என்பதற்கு உங்கள் விளக்கம் = "மாட்டிக்கிட்டியா? நல்லா மாட்டிக்கிட்டியா?.....ஆனா பனிஷ்மெண்ட் ஒண்ணும் இல்ல"

....பலே விளக்கம் ஐயா:-))

MADDY
6th December 2006, 03:04 AM
நல்ல விளக்கங்கள் ராஜாசரணம்! சில சட்டங்களை சுட்டியமைக்கு நன்றி!

"கெட் காட் பிக் டைம்" என்பதற்கு உங்கள் விளக்கம் = "மாட்டிக்கிட்டியா? நல்லா மாட்டிக்கிட்டியா?.....ஆனா பனிஷ்மெண்ட் ஒண்ணும் இல்ல"

....பலே விளக்கம் ஐயா:-))

hahaha :lol:

i guess, the MDs are not going to be aloof from the reports suggesting that they copied.......adhai yellam thodachhi pottu poravangala irundha onnum panna mudiyathu, but konjam maanam,manasatchi-nnu irundha they will surely feel the pinch.......idha thavira vera eppadi punish panradhu, indha hi-tech thirudargalai?? :lol:

MrJudge
6th December 2006, 10:17 AM
I think this trend was becoming more popular only after 1992 that too after the emergence of namma annachchi, hi-tech thirudar No.1 . What the heck, nobody questioned him then, he even uruvufied Dracula(??) theme music for Mudalvan theme and beats from english albums for his albums(ex. from Enigma for kathalar dhinam)... so why worry about other MDs now? If you raise questions for these new MDs' lifts, will you do the same for MSV, Veda, IR and other yester year MDs too? What do you call them then?

So it is better to leave them as they are and enjoy the music if you like!

rajaalltheway
6th December 2006, 11:38 AM
REMIX or original what counts at the end of the day is whether the music has reached the intended crowd,
Hail YSR for his temperement and pencahnt for quality even in copying

Shankar
6th December 2006, 12:22 PM
>>>>>
Hail YSR for his temperement and pencahnt for quality even in copying
<<<<<

I totally disagree !! If this were the case, my favourite MD should be pritam chakraborty....His quality of copy is so good that Ya ali sounded as good as Gha li from guitara (the original...I would say the arrangement was better with pritam).

ajaybaskar
6th December 2006, 12:24 PM
I wonder if there'l be any remixes..

vasanth2006
6th December 2006, 07:57 PM
I wish that this remake idea will be dropped.

kokarako
12th December 2006, 08:52 PM
"Headlines today" coverage about the movie can be downloaded here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/7179942/ajitbilla2007.zip

MrJudge
12th December 2006, 09:39 PM
[tscii:8f2359ca7a]Looks like Remixes are sure for this movie!

--------------------

Ajith to dance for Rajini's songs
Dec 12, 2006

The Ajith starrer Billa has already started creating ripples in the industry. When the question of remix of songs arose, the team has chosen ‘My name is Billa’ and ‘Vethalayai Pottendi’ numbers from the old film. This was a consensual decision by the producer, director Vishnu Vardhan and hero Ajith. The choice of cinematographer has not yet been made.

The names of Nirav Shah and R D Raja Shekar are featuring in the list. A decision would be made soon in this connection.
[/tscii:8f2359ca7a]

bulb_mani
12th December 2006, 10:00 PM
I wish that this remake idea will be dropped.

ur wish has already gone vain... the movie is confirmed...so r the songs :lol:

Lets not speculate too much with unwanted comments.... YSR gives his best for Selva , Vishnu ... so probably he should do justice.

Lets wait n watch... first let the album release ... we have 6-9months in hand for the audio to release

MrJudge
14th December 2006, 05:19 PM
The song My name is Billa is doing quite a round nowadays in Sun Music. Even though it was not spectacular, I doubt Ajith can re-create the magic Rajini created in this song.

MADDY
14th December 2006, 08:20 PM
The song My name is Billa is doing quite a round nowadays in Sun Music. Even though it was not spectacular, I doubt Ajith can re-create the magic Rajini created in this song.

Ajith fans are not like ARR fans.... :lol: .....seendi paarkaadha......

bulb_mani
14th December 2006, 08:36 PM

ur doubt will be cleared next deepavali :evil:

villan007
14th December 2006, 08:37 PM

i dont thnk ysr can remix it well :(

MrJudge
15th December 2006, 10:02 AM
i dont thnk ysr can remix it well :(

Yeah, I too think so. The original song is popular only because of its tune and lyrical content but the backing instrumental parts are not that great. SPB carries and moves the whole song from bad to good. I don't think YSR has anyone like SPB to carry the song forward. Can karthik do this song and pull it off or will u1 go for SPB again? :roll:

Music4Ever
16th December 2006, 10:30 PM
"Yeah, I too think so. The original song is popular only because of its tune and lyrical content but the backing instrumental parts are not that great. SPB carries and moves the whole song from bad to good. "

How can SPB carry the whole song from bad to good, if the tune itself is not good to begin with? I can see the HCIRF subjectivity here :D

MSV lovers will readily associate the MSV stamp with that number. The song was a hit due to a combination of good tune, good singing and good music throughout. No more no less :D

bulb_mani
16th December 2006, 10:58 PM
My Name is billa was a hit then bcoz of the taste then... YSR knows the taste of music lovers now n will remix it to suit the newage well....

dont come to conclusions that no one can recreate that magic this magci bla bla...
in the beginning everyone thought earth was flat.... did not one man find out its round? :huh:

Nothing is constant.... never say Ajith cant recreate Rajini's role... YSR cant remix effectively...

The issue is not redoing what rajini or MSV did.... its about simulating n recreating the story with modern elements in their own styles 8-)

these all shows how desperate people r to discredit others..pathetic.. :lol2:

MusicIsLife
17th December 2006, 05:53 AM
I liked Don equally for the stylishness as Amitabh's command and presence in the original. I guess Ajith can equally create the magic (with regards to stylishness of film making now-a-days, but still will lack the commanding presence no-matter-what as there will be nay-sayers). Comparing music is just kind of no-equivalance, coz SEL had good music with regards to Don, U1 will have a good resounding one for the new Billa. I am not trying to compare SEL to U1, but what I am trying to say is there will be a difference, difference is not bad!!.

bulb_mani
17th December 2006, 11:30 AM
I liked Don equally for the stylishness as Amitabh's command and presence in the original. I guess Ajith can equally create the magic (with regards to stylishness of film making now-a-days, but still will lack the commanding presence no-matter-what as there will be nay-sayers). Comparing music is just kind of no-equivalance, coz SEL had good music with regards to Don, U1 will have a good resounding one for the new Billa. I am not trying to compare SEL to U1, but what I am trying to say is there will be a difference, difference is not bad!!.

yes it will lack bcoz ajith is 5'10/11" and amitabh is 6'2/3" Pathetic :lol2:

My previous post is the answer to all speculations by "cinema geniuses" :lol2:

If anyone wants to discuss about the hero come to tamil cinema thread n dont discuss here please.... :huh:

MADDY
17th December 2006, 11:55 AM

yes it will lack bcoz ajith is 5'10/11" and amitabh is 6'2/3" Pathetic :lol2:

My previous post is the answer to all speculations by "cinema geniuses" :lol2:

If anyone wants to discuss about the hero come to tamil cinema thread n dont discuss here please.... :huh:

one thing i agree with bulb is that , Ajith or Vijay may not seem that great for ppl. who saw likes oif rajini/kamal in 80's........MIL, i guess u r also caught in that generation gap thingy when u make that "no-matter" statement..... :D

but other than that u1 will do good remix and all is crap.....wat is good remix bulb??? can u enlighten me on that???

and also whom should the creadit go to if a remixed song gets hit - the original composer or the copying composer??

bulb_mani
17th December 2006, 12:01 PM
What good remix? Some Songs can really be made to match the modern sound .... its cool.... 8-)

Credit goes 50:50 to original n new one 8-)

Billa songs will rock for sure :smokesmirk:

I think this thread is too early... i dont know why there r lots of speculationsi nhere for a movie that is yet to begin....

MODS i request u to lock this thread 8-)

MrJudge
17th December 2006, 02:07 PM
How can SPB carry the whole song from bad to good, if the tune itself is not good to begin with? I can see the HCIRF subjectivity here :D

MSV lovers will readily associate the MSV stamp with that number. The song was a hit due to a combination of good tune, good singing and good music throughout. No more no less :D

Let me know who can do the same job as good as SPB in this particular song. Personally I feel there are lot of songs he has just carried by his voice alone. Yeah, I am a HCIRF but that does not stop me to acknowledge the tune which is good, but definitely not good music. Just listen to the music alone without concentrating the tune/lyrics, you will very well see it.

Music4Ever
18th December 2006, 04:44 AM
"Let me know who can do the same job as good as SPB in this particular song."

This is difficult to tell unless someone actually sings it. Until then it will continue be in the realm of conjecture.

"Personally I feel there are lot of songs he has just carried by his voice alone. "

True, but which ones is the question :D

"Yeah, I am a HCIRF but that does not stop me to acknowledge the tune which is good, but definitely not good music. Just listen to the music alone without concentrating the tune/lyrics, you will very well see it."

I think we are in different wavelengths as to what constitutes good or bad music. The music for "My name is Billa" is certainly not a bad one, IMO. I specifically listened today after you asked me to (Not that I need to because the music is still fresh in my memory after all these years.) and I like the music. MSV has given music in line with the mood of the song without needless meandering interludes that was so typical of some songs of that era (early eighties), IMO. I believe that the hallmark of MSV music is to provide interludes mostly in line with what the song demands.

MrJudge
18th December 2006, 08:45 AM
I think we are in different wavelengths as to what constitutes good or bad music. The music for "My name is Billa" is certainly not a bad one, IMO. I specifically listened today after you asked me to (Not that I need to because the music is still fresh in my memory after all these years.) and I like the music. MSV has given music in line with the mood of the song without needless meandering interludes that was so typical of some songs of that era (early eighties), IMO. I believe that the hallmark of MSV music is to provide interludes mostly in line with what the song demands.

Ok, it is not a bad one. I say it is not a good one either... so where does it fall? average?? Let me know your ratings for tune, voice and music in that song. Tune and voice take over the music easily.

Music4Ever
18th December 2006, 10:21 AM
Mr. Judge I was responding to your "bad" to "good" through singing by SPB. Otherwise, my rating of the music is good. I like the interludes a lot. But that may be because I am a HCMSVF :D

Tune ---> good
Singing ----> great
Music ---> good (adequate -- what is needed is given)

MrJudge
18th December 2006, 03:19 PM
Music4Ever,

"I like the interludes a lot. But that may be because I am a HCMSVF"

Now I see the picture clearly :D

"Music ---> good (adequate -- what is needed is given)" - To me what is needed is not given :) Such a powerful song should have more punch in the rhythm dept.

Music4Ever
19th December 2006, 08:51 AM
Mr. Judge I respect your opinion but still I will keep mine intact :D
Let us agree we have different views about interludes and captivating music in general. Anyway, good discussing with you and I feel you have been very civil. Maybe we will concur on some other aspect in a future discussion :D Take it easy.

MrJudge
19th December 2006, 01:53 PM
M4E,

I respect your opinion and look forward to your postings in other threads.

And It will be good to see how YSR does it this time with more punch in the rythm dept and without SPB. Both of our wishes may come true, lets wait :)

itsmuls
1st January 2007, 05:06 PM
FYI,

SPB along with Chitra are pairing for Chennai 600028 after long time and lastly SPB had sung for U1 in Nanda.....

There are probabilities that SPB can recreate the original song "My name is Bill" in rehearsed U1's song in Billa !!!

vasanth2006
1st January 2007, 10:42 PM
FYI,

SPB along with Chitra are pairing for Chennai 600028 after long time and lastly SPB had sung for U1 in Nanda.....

did chithra sing for u1????