PDA

View Full Version : nose rings

NEHA1222
11th December 2006, 02:28 PM
I had a question about nose rings, i wanted to know did they originate from india, because when i looked on wikipedia and other sites it says they came from arabia, but never have i seen any persian woman wearing nose rings in fact nose rings are acustom to india are godesses even wear them. Personally i think wikipedia is written by persians (as it is an encylopedia written by people). For example things that are originated from india wikipedia says possibly orignated from india, but things orginating from persia or africa wikipedia states originated from arabia or africa. Getting back to nose rings I truly believe India is the orgin for them. I would love to hear what everyone else thinks.

Badri
12th December 2006, 03:58 AM
Neha

Take a look at this article written in our own home-grown newspaper,
The Hindu.

I quote a bit from it, leaving you to read the rest of the article from the link posted below.

But making such statements as the Wikipedia is written by Persians is...well, :)

Unfortunately the ornaments that adorn the Indian women are not of Indian origin. Sangam Tamil literature remains silent to such ornaments. So is ancient Sanskrit literature.

Ancient Indian art never depicted a female form with the nose ornaments. Then the custom of wearing nose ornaments should have come with the invaders.

This custom of wearing nose ornaments was quite popular among the people of the Middle East. Historians opine that it was introduced to India by the Muslim invaders and that was in the 11th century.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/25/stories/2006012500040500.htm

Shekhar
12th December 2006, 10:06 AM
Hi Neha,

Does it matter whether nose ring has originated in India or elsewhere. It has become the cultural symbol of India. Now it has become a fashion all over the world. For all those countries, well.. India is the origin. Isn't it?? :) :)

Btw, do you wear a nose ring? If it looks nice on you why bother?!! :) :)

NM
12th December 2006, 11:38 AM
Shekhar baiyya........pls don't frighten off the poor girl! :lol: :lol: The hub female batallion is still alive and kicking! :lol:

NEHA1222
12th December 2006, 03:10 PM
Badri Hi thanks for your reply, I have read all these articles but to me, however nose rings are mentioned in the ramayan, although they are mentioned in a song it still talks about an important reference to sita's nose ring. Also again I have never seen muslim women wear a nose ring from the middle east, i have only seen ppakistani and bangladeshi, and at far most afghanis, also muslim women in the mogul time had adorned indian jewels and have only worn nose rings when they arrived to india. I still have my doubts on the origin. I will enclose the indian and english traslation(The refernece is in the 2 nd line in bold in both translations):

Sita: Dheere Chal, Ham Haaree,
E Raghubar
by Satya Chaitanya

Here is an exquisite Bhojpuri folksong on a Ramayana theme:

Dheere chal, ham haaree, e raghubar.
Ek ta chhutelaa mor naak ke nathiyavaa;
Dosar chhutele mahtaaree e raghuvar.
Ek ta chhutelaa mor gare ke hasulia;
Dosar chhutelaa jheen saaree e raghubar.
Ek ta chhutelaa nagar ajodhyaa;
Dosar chhutelaa mahtaaree e raghuvar.
Ek ta chhutelaa mor god ke god-haraa’
Dosar chhutelaa jheen saaree e raghuvar.

English trasnlation:

Walk slow, Oh Rama, I’m tired.
For one thing, I have left behind my nose ring
And for another, Mother Kausalya.
For one thing, I have left behind the hasuli of my neck
And for another, my thin sari.
For one thing, I have left behind the city of Ayodhya
And for another, Mother Kausalya.
For one thing, I have left behind my anklet
And for another, my fine sari.

here is the link: http://www.boloji.com/hinduism/133.htm

[/tscii:2c12b22328]

Badri
13th December 2006, 05:20 AM
Neha

Bhojpuri compositions are rather recent. They cannot be used as authentic proof that the original Sita also wore a nosering. If you think on those lines, Valmiki makes no mention of her nosering despite going on and on about her other ornaments!!

NEHA1222
13th December 2006, 11:36 AM
Thats is possible, but I went a few sites about our godesses and it talk about some possessio they had with nose rings I will put the sites below. Even wikipedia talks about it.
I will put the google cache of my search please take a look at these sites.

Link 1 (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:3SkuwhD7ThIJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumaranalloor+%22nose+ring%22+and+%22ramayana%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=6&ie=UTF-8)

www.indiantemples.com/Tamilnadu/kumari.html+%22nose+ring%22+and+%22ramayana%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5&ie=UTF-8]Link (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:VbkNjBUJdUgJ:[url) 2[/url]

In addition I looked up biblical art, and Ancient Hebrew art, and and art in reference to rebekah and abraham, and I did not see any thing retaining to nose jewelry.

Mod Note: I have converted your links to Text to avoid horizontal scroll

Shekhar
16th December 2006, 09:57 AM
Shekhar baiyya........pls don't frighten off the poor girl! :lol: :lol: The hub female batallion is still alive and kicking! :lol:

Oh! Oh! So the female batallion is still active! That's a scare. And how about new recruitments?? Are there many? :D :D

And.. better beware, if you call me bhaiyya, you cant hunt me for lunch!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now tell me honestly. Could you understand what exactly Neha wants. A proof for a thesis on her theory that nose piercing originated in India???
I would rather be interested in whether a nose stud looks cute on a girl here than whether percian women wore nose ring in 11th century!!! :D :D :D

sundararaj
18th December 2006, 01:47 PM
I always thought that they are Indian. Surprised to note that they originated from the Middle East. No problems!