PDA

View Full Version : AMMA THAMPURAN-GRAND DAUGHTER OF RAVI VARMA

padmanabha
15th December 2006, 10:38 PM
[tscii:c33edb569f]She is the grand daughter of the pioneer artist Raja Ravi Varma. Graceful with distinct features, she works calmly, with her brush and paint to just please her and to delight her kith and kin. Aged four scores and 12, Makayiram Tirunal Raajamma Amma Thampuran, now has to her credit, a number of portraits, landscapes, waterscapes and classical themes.

Amma Thampuran belongs to the ulsava Madom branch of the Mavelikkara Kottaram. With the demise of her husband, CK Kerala Varma, she found solace in the world of colors. Once she put her mind and soul into it, her inborn talent for art began to blossom and bear fruit.

Displaying her earlier works, AMMA Thampuran said, “I use only water colors. Look, the pictures of Kovalam and Kashmir, the two extremes of India… these are ente kashmeeram and ente Keralam.”

“Once I essayed the picture of the noble Mother Theresa. It was a challenge to paint deep set eyes, cheek bones, thin lips and wrinkled face.”

“The sisters from the nearby ST. Antony’s church demanded it. Later they asked me to portray crucifixion of Christ, I declined. It is a painful event. I cannot.”

Currently she is giving the finishing touches of her latest work, Sakunthala fanning Kanwa Maharshi. “It took ten days to sketch. I will start coloring when I am satisfied with the sketch” she disclosed.

She gifts most of her works. “But not for money” she said. Her daughter Ambica’s demise was indeed an emotional shock, for this grand old lady. I kept away from the world of colors for some time…But one has to keep the mind engaged. She said with a heavy heart.

Amma Thampuran is well versed in Sanskrit and ahs composed many hymns, poems and padams. She has fairly good knowledge in astrology also.

[/tscii:c33edb569f]

Braandan
19th December 2006, 01:10 PM
Has anybody from the Royal family taken part in the "Communist Prasthaanam" which changed Kerala head over heels?

Sandeep
11th January 2007, 01:33 PM
None.