PDA

View Full Version : BEST BACKGROUND SCORES

karthik_sa2
27th December 2006, 12:26 AM
background scores play an important role in lifting the movie.some of the background scores of music directors has been left unoticed.so guys it woud be nice if u can list out some nice background scores any MD's .

1.i feel MSV didn concentrate much on background scores.

2.coming to IR the genious- revealed how important r background scores in tamil films for the first time.liked many of his movies to list some of the best
a.anjali
b.kadhaluku mariyadhai
c.siraichalai
d.punagai mannan
e.azhagi
f.dhalapathi
g.mounaragam

3.arr-maymadham,minsaraknavu,roja,bombay

4.ysr-kadhal kondein,7g,pudhupetai,mounam paesiyadhe

5.hj-minnale,kaaka kaaka

to mention a few

kamarajc
27th December 2006, 01:07 AM
background scores play an important role in lifting the movie.some of the background scores of music directors has been left unoticed.so guys it woud be nice if u can list out some nice background scores any MD's .

2.coming to IR the genious- revealed how important r background scores in tamil films for the first time.liked many of his movies to list some of the best
a.anjali
b.kadhaluku mariyadhai
c.siraichalai
d.punagai mannan
e.azhagi
f.dhalapathi
g.mounaragam

3.arr-maymadham,minsaraknavu,roja,bombay

5.hj-minnale,kaaka kaaka

to mention a few

IMO, HJ's best BGM ever came in Ullam Ketkumae. Can watch movie just for BGM.

Vidyasagar did a wonderful job in Parthiban Kanavu. Simply unparallelable!

GVPrakash has done a pretty decent job in Veyil.

Come on.. how can you miss Nadodi Thendral when you talk about IR's BGM work.

ARR did so well in Kandukondain Kandokondain...

karthik_sa2
27th December 2006, 01:22 AM
Come on.. how can you miss Nadodi Thendral when you talk about IR's BGM work.

s indeed nadodi thendral was one of IR's best work.

Wibha
27th December 2006, 02:16 AM
how can u miss alaipayuthey for ARR?

karthik_sa2
27th December 2006, 02:27 AM
guys my taste may differ from others.pls give in ur fresh list

dinesh2002
27th December 2006, 06:54 AM
IR : Anjali, Mouna Ragam, Karakatakaran, Azhagi
ARR : Jeans, Mudhalvan, Indian, Iruvar
YSR : 7 G, Povellam Kettupar, Arindhum Ariyamulum
HJ : 12B, Laysa Laysa, Samurai

Hulkster
27th December 2006, 05:34 PM
For IR..who is undoubtedly king of bgm..there are many to list..so let us focus on the others.

People say YSR is better than ARR in this area..but i feel YSR's bgm is just a mix of both...we got to give credit to ARR for introducing a new style of BGM also..using keyboard sounds or at times natural sounds. If IR managed to bring out the emotions and beauty of the scene ARR managed to give the scene a robust and energetic effect.

Most notably....Kannathil Muthamittal(A idea of how keyboard sounds can sound so pathos like), Minsara Kanavu (He has used some orchestraic pieces in the songs and parts as well), Mudhalvan( The bgm makes the movie even more peppier and heroistic feel), Indian ( He used a theme for the indian thatta that HJ sort of modified it to use for the Anniyan theme(not stranger in black)),Alaipayudhey(His forte..romantic bgms)

Another unnoticed personality is VA..i notice he loves to use minisongs as BGM in dishoom..and by2 had a forest like background score...not so polished..but very effective as well(VA stands for vijay antony)

Karthik raja...he is a offset of IR but it really is nice to hear his BGMs...dum dum dum,album and naalai had some fantastic background scores.

Hulkster
27th December 2006, 05:36 PM

I do not know abt MSV's bgm but in those days the focus was always on songs....and directors preferred a logical and simple rerecording thus MSV not being noticed well...but his later movies after IR came showed some of his skills....billa and thillu mullu...ninaithaaley inikkum had refreshing BGM scores...and if im not wrong he is one of the fastest in BGM scoring.

kamarajc
27th December 2006, 05:46 PM
For IR..who is undoubtedly king of bgm..there are many to list..so let us focus on the others.

People say YSR is better than ARR in this area..but i feel YSR's bgm is just a mix of both...we got to give credit to ARR for introducing a new style of BGM also..using keyboard sounds or at times natural sounds. If IR managed to bring out the emotions and beauty of the scene ARR managed to give the scene a robust and energetic effect.

Most notably....Kannathil Muthamittal(A idea of how keyboard sounds can sound so pathos like), Minsara Kanavu (He has used some orchestraic pieces in the songs and parts as well), Mudhalvan( The bgm makes the movie even more peppier and heroistic feel), Indian ( He used a theme for the indian thatta that HJ sort of modified it to use for the Anniyan theme(not stranger in black)),Alaipayudhey(His forte..romantic bgms)

Another unnoticed personality is VA..i notice he loves to use minisongs as BGM in dishoom..and by2 had a forest like background score...not so polished..but very effective as well(VA stands for vijay antony)

Karthik raja...he is a offset of IR but it really is nice to hear his BGMs...dum dum dum,album and naalai had some fantastic background scores.

Hulkster, VA's forest like BGM score is "Carnivore's Behavior" and its a straight lift (infact a poor copy) of Taal title music where Aish gets some wierd dreams.

Yes, Alaipayuthey BGM was so mellifluous.... Kerala sequences with 'Evano Oruvan' tune as the base.. was awesome! Guys, one more thing.. In Kandukondain Kandokondain... there is an awesome Nadhaswaram piece when they wash the house after the death of Nizhalgal Ravi's dad. Purely a ARR tune - so different and it stands out.

karthik_sa2
28th December 2006, 12:17 AM
I do not know abt MSV's bgm but in those days the focus was always on songs....and directors preferred a logical and simple rerecording thus MSV not being noticed well...but his later movies after IR came showed some of his skills....billa and thillu mullu...ninaithaaley inikkum had refreshing BGM scores...and if im not wrong he is one of the fastest in BGM scoring

dude
true ninaithaale innikum thillu mullu period he did start to concentrate on background scores but still never had great appeal .sometimes he makes funny sounds during fights and sometimes even during bgm between songs.typical late MSV period.no doubts he is one of the greatest music directors TFM has ever produced but still he never proved his prowess in rerecoding is my opinion.thats y even in SENTHAMIZL paatu he left the bgm part to IR.

karthik_sa2
28th December 2006, 12:20 AM

pudhupetai had a complete new style of background scores no shades of IR or ARR

bingleguy
28th December 2006, 04:05 AM
IR : Anjali, Mouna Ragam, Karakatakaran, Azhagi
ARR : Jeans, Mudhalvan, Indian, IruvarYSR : 7 G, Povellam Kettupar, Arindhum Ariyamulum
HJ : 12B, Laysa Laysa, Samurai
:clap:

thimuru
28th December 2006, 09:04 PM

pudhupetai had a complete new style of background scores no shades of IR or ARR

yeah....one of the bgm is exactly from the raaga.com music..that comes before every song..dondodododoidododoi ....citibank!

karthik_sa2
28th December 2006, 11:52 PM
yeah....one of the bgm is exactly from the raaga.com music..that comes before every song..dondodododoidododoi ....citibank!

sir,
that music was already there in the movie rishi by yuvan.selling of dope" was only slightly similar to that though suited greatly to that scene.raaga just used it after rishi

arsaregama
29th December 2006, 10:01 AM
where did IR's chatriyan and mounam sammadham go????even in case of a.r kadhir's movie have had superb bgms

Hulkster
29th December 2006, 10:11 AM
Pudhupettai was not really that good...pattiyal had better BGM usage....the thing about pudhupettai was that the effort taken YSR to come up with symphonic like scores is brilliant..but one must know that a BGM must explain the scene..in certain places the scores dunt cooperate with the scene...out of places in some and brilliant in some..but a good effort though.

As for MSV yes quite true...but he is actually quite talented at BGM....perhaps he needed motivation like IR...maybe not as talented as IR in that area but certainly no pushover :D

app_engine
2nd January 2007, 09:10 PM
நீண்ட நாட்களுக்குப்பின் 'புதிய பறவை' நேற்றுப்பார்க்கும் வாய்ப்பு கிட்டியது...விஸ்வநாதன் - ராமமூர்த்தி...மிக அருமையான பின்னணி இசை. (உதவியாளர் ஹென்றி டேனியலின் காண்ட்ரிப்யுஷணும் இருக்கலாம்)...

என் கருத்துப்படி இசைக்கருவிகளைக்கையாளும் விதத்தில் வி-ஆர் இரட்டையர்களாக இருந்த வரை பிரமாதம்...

rajasaranam
2nd January 2007, 11:39 PM
app_engine,

Puthiya paravai entha varuda release, 'henry daniel' peru podraangala antha padathula :shock:

Shankar
3rd January 2007, 09:58 AM
Joseph Krishna was also with MSV-TKR wasn't he ?

app_engine
3rd January 2007, 08:27 PM
புதிய பறவை 1964 என்று விக்கிப்பீடியா சொல்கிறது...

ஹென்றி டேனியல் பெயர் டைட்டிலில் இருந்தது...(பாடகர்கள் லிஸ்ட்டிலும் இவர் பெயர் இருந்தது...எந்தப்பாட்டு இவர் பாடினார்? ஒரு வேளை ஸ்பெஷல் சத்தம் ஏதாவது கொடுத்திருக்கலாம்)...

"உன்னை ஒன்று கேட்பேன்" பியானோ இவர் தான் வாசித்திருப்பார்...இவர் பிரபல பியானிஸ்ட் என்று கேட்ட ஞாபகம்...

rajasaranam
3rd January 2007, 09:32 PM
App engine,

Naan antha question ketathukku kaaranam - i came to know from a kannada film music forum that Henry daniel is infact our own IR

Yes.. GKV-IR guru-shishya parampare tharaha.. (classical music nalliruva haage).
In fact, raaja was credited along with GKV, for the music in raaja's first guitar piece in any movie. the guitar tunes in Goadalli CID 999. a Bond thriller by Dr.Raj. Music is credited as GKV and Henry Daniel. (he is the same Daniel. Raja or D.Raja)
I have a very noisy recording of this piece. and yes, will upload that too

"Bangarada manushya " chitra da titles alli Sangeeha sahaaya " David Raja >>ntha barodhu, bere yaaru illa it is Maestro IR
Yes. GKV- iLayraja haagu vaidi (L Vaidyanathan) guru - shishyara sangama.
Haudu and also in Mayura, S Savaal, Raja nanna raja, the solo guitar in ninnade nenapu, olavu geluvu - the guitar pieces in naa hELalaare...

These are few quotes from that forum of one MR.Sridhar Rajannaa who is almost an encyclopedia of kannada film music.
http://www.kannadaaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875&page=3

Goadalli CID999 is a 1969 release....
But if pudhiya paravai was a 1964 release then its not possible that Raaja = Henry Daniel,, because all his biographies quote that he came to Madras only by 1968....
Orae conpission :x

rajasaranam
3rd January 2007, 09:32 PM
Itha investigate panni thaan aaganum. namma TFM encyclopedia Mr.Manisegarana kaetta theriyum :D

S.Balaji
3rd January 2007, 10:09 PM
Rajasaranam and APP E,

Henry Daniel was a key support ( along with Joseph Krishna ) for MSV in the 60s. I have seen his name featuring in the 70s also.
I understand, HD was excellent in the chorus based songs like - Enge nimmadhi , Devane ennai parungal , Ponmagal vandhaal etc etc.
You can feel HD even for the song Partha nyabagam illayo !

HD is not Isainyani IR :)

app_engine
4th January 2007, 10:51 PM
Few references on Henry Daniel:
http://tfmpage.com/forum/9517.24543.15.21.55.html
http://tfmpage.com/forum/10836.2.html
http://tfmpage.com/forum/16661.20880.03.21.22.html
(hear from Saravanan, another encyclopedia like Ramki, Manisekaran)
http://tfmpage.com/forum/5400.4566.13.57.03.html
http://tfmpage.com/forum/768.4.html

There was one complete thread also...probably lost in a server crash...

umaramesh
5th January 2007, 01:00 PM
true ninaithaale innikum thillu mullu period he did start to concentrate on background scores but still never had great appeal .sometimes he makes funny sounds during fights and sometimes even during bgm between songs.typical late MSV period.no doubts he is one of the greatest music directors TFM has ever produced but still he never proved his prowess in rerecoding is my opinion.thats y even in SENTHAMIZL paatu he left the bgm part to IR.

karthik_sa2

Have you listened NENJAM MARAPATHILIA/AARATHIL ORUVAN/KARNAN/PUTHIYA PARAVAI/ANBE VAA/ULAGAM SUTRUM VALIBAN/SIVANTHA MANN ETC.

Yes those days they concentrated more on songs but BGM for these movies were totally different style. please do not assume and make comments.

regards
ramesh

umaramesh
5th January 2007, 01:10 PM
Itha investigate panni thaan aaganum

MSV himself told that Raja first worked with MSV in the movie AVALKU ENDUR ORU MANAM for the song MALAR ETHU .
MSV did this movie after separation with TKR.

regards
ramesh

umaramesh
5th January 2007, 01:13 PM
(உதவியாளர் ஹென்றி டேனியலின் காண்ட்ரிப்யுஷணும் இருக்கலாம்)...

APP

Whole re-recording done by HENRY DANIEL. Are you happy?

regards
ramesh

Shankar
5th January 2007, 02:35 PM
>>>>
Yes those days they concentrated more on songs but BGM for these movies were totally different style. please do not assume and make comments.
<<<<

Yeah, the score being different style is one thing...Being effective is totally different. Incidentally, I watched Karnan last evening...The songs were out of the world (kaNgaL engE mAdhiri oru song yArAvadhu kudukka mudiyumA enbadhu sandhEgam thAn), but the BG Score had nothing to talk about :-(

RR
6th January 2007, 01:33 PM

Kaadhal Konden BGM analysis (with audios):

http://tfmmagazine.mayyam.com/jan07/?t=8932

vasanth2006
7th January 2007, 12:26 AM

Kaadhal Konden BGM analysis (with audios):

http://tfmmagazine.mayyam.com/jan07/?t=8932

Very Good Review...... :)

Yuvan's best BGM score is KK (IMO)........ 8-)

KK is stunning performance from the BGM master yuvan. :)

ajaybaskar
8th January 2007, 07:02 PM
Guru is on the way,guys..The CNN IBN Spl on the making of Guru indicated that ARR has done a tremendous Job...

Shankar
9th January 2007, 09:30 AM
>>>>
Guru is on the way,guys..The CNN IBN Spl on the making of Guru indicated that ARR has done a tremendous Job...
<<<<
Let's discuss things which are in. We can discuss guru after it is released.

karthik_sa2
17th January 2007, 10:59 PM
karthik_sa2

Have you listened NENJAM MARAPATHILIA/AARATHIL ORUVAN/KARNAN/PUTHIYA PARAVAI/ANBE VAA/ULAGAM SUTRUM VALIBAN/SIVANTHA MANN ETC.

i am not assuming anything sir.i am a big fan of sivaji ganeshan and i ahve watched sivandhamann,karnan,puthiya paravai more than thrice atleast.to be very honest i didin find anythibg appealing in background scores.the obvious reason behind it was not that msv wasnt talented in backgroundscores,but those days inportance was not given to background scores.those days most of the movies were backed up heavy storyline and didn depend on backgroiund scores thats probably another reason.i am a big fan of msv "ullathil naala ullam"song from karnan is still one of my best songs think it is "ahir bairavi"well lot of songs i like from msv "thedinaen vandhadhu","aval parandhu ponnalae",("yaar indha nilavu".i have never seen such great chord changes till now esp in charanam)no doubt he is a legend.infact ramamurty didn have a greater role to play in most of the songs.

ut still ackground scores am afraid u have to accept the fact that msv didn do much IMO